PDA

View Full Version : Balcony

hyenergix
26-06-11, 18:59
Can balcony be enclosed with windows? BCA does not seem to require approval. http://www.bca.gov.sg/WorksApprovalNotRequired/others/booklet.pdf

kingkong1984
26-06-11, 19:04
Can balcony be enclosed with windows? BCA does not seem to require approval. http://www.bca.gov.sg/WorksApprovalNotRequired/others/booklet.pdf

of course not lah..

everything is by countable psf.

In condo's u cannot even have your own fancy window grills, what more about additional windows.

hopeful
26-06-11, 19:08
depends on condo's bylaws.

kingkong1984
26-06-11, 19:15
depends on condo's bylaws.

Yes... vote for it.

Its not restricted for HDB owner's. Most would do it and enclose the space plus level up.

hyenergix
26-06-11, 20:25
Yes... vote for it.

Its not restricted for HDB owner's. Most would do it and enclose the space plus level up.

I see quite a lot of people in Chuan Park doing it...

kingkong1984
26-06-11, 21:24
I see quite a lot of people in Chuan Park doing it...

year of completion 1985. Pobably got approval sometime ago or old until no one cares...

It depends on the GFA.

sh
26-06-11, 23:20
year of completion 1985. Pobably got approval sometime ago or old until no one cares...

It depends on the GFA.

if balcony already counted as GFA. (before URA's GFA exemption ruling for balcony), yes. subject to condo bye laws

If GFA exempted, as current URA exemption, than no. Nothing is for free....:(

devilplate
26-06-11, 23:25
if balcony already counted as GFA. (before URA's GFA exemption ruling for balcony), yes. subject to condo bye laws

If GFA exempted, as current URA exemption, than no. Nothing is for free....:(
Cannot enclose up balcony no matter wat....can do it but dun get caught tats all

kingkong1984
27-06-11, 01:38
Cannot enclose up balcony no matter wat....can do it but dun get caught tats all
Good advice... When u r caught, u have to remove them or risk fine or court action.

No need to enclose it, use bamboo blinds with clear plastic sheet behind it, roll it up or down as and when u like, it is good enough. just drill 2 holds to hang the rollers will do.

Some use natural bamboos and arrange them vertically together, they form a wall of bamboos. Can be moved and yet gives u privacy. Just not water proof that,s all.

If really want to enclose, can try playing cheat, enclose behind the windows and make it look like a indoor Reno and not external Reno. Not too sure about this one but u can try. Something like a additional glass room.

kingkong1984
27-06-11, 03:31
can read if free.

http://www.lawnet.com.sg/legal/ln2/comm/HTML/Subordinate/51217.htm

Injunction granted to the plaintiffs (MCST). BCA enforcement action withheld.

But!!!

The management corporation accepted that it could not do anything about those cases because those structures over the seven balconies were erected well before the management corporation came into being.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/hkedition/2011-06/01/content_12616138.htm

Even the rich does it... hahaha...

ysyap
27-06-11, 06:36
Cannot enclose up balcony no matter wat....can do it but dun get caught tats allHow to not get caught. It totally changes the external facade and look. Anyone walking within the condo sure can see it. Some facing outward also can see! :doh:

Can try to install those invisible grills! Usually management will grant approval if it does not change the physical appearance of the condo. :p

devilplate
27-06-11, 08:29
How to not get caught. It totally changes the external facade and look. Anyone walking within the condo sure can see it. Some facing outward also can see! :doh:

Can try to install those invisible grills! Usually management will grant approval if it does not change the physical appearance of the condo. :p

depend whether anyone wana complain anot lor...small boutique apts 'usually' close one eye lor....big condo definitely cannot lor

devilplate
27-06-11, 08:30
Good advice... When u r caught, u have to remove them or risk fine or court action.

No need to enclose it, use bamboo blinds with clear plastic sheet behind it, roll it up or down as and when u like, it is good enough. just drill 2 holds to hang the rollers will do.

this is the best solution to prevent rain from coming in without perm enclose it;)

ysyap
27-06-11, 08:35
Then may I ask all the experts here... other than putting huge flower pots, how to prevent young toddlers and kids from climbing and falling over balconies? Any advise? :D

devilplate
27-06-11, 08:40
Then may I ask all the experts here... other than putting huge flower pots, how to prevent young toddlers and kids from climbing and falling over balconies? Any advise? :D

put grills at the sliding glass door lor....or u can try ur invisible grill

me n kingkong r toking about enclosing it to prevent rain from coming in....ur objective is diff...hehe

chiaberry
27-06-11, 08:44

Lock the sliding glass doors that lead into the balcony at all times. And make sure someone is at home to supervise the kids. Young kids are a problem. You cannot leave them alone for even a short while. There was a recent case of a pre-schooler who fell out of a window in an HDB apartment when his mother was out. If the locks are not child-proof, then you must change the locks to child-proof ones or even change the sliding doors if necessary even if at great expense because it's not worth to risk the life of your kids.

Whether you can install windows or grilles to your balcony, the best approach is to check with the Management Office. In older condos it's often possible.

hyenergix
27-06-11, 08:54
How abt foldable glass panels? I like to test e legal system!

proud owner
27-06-11, 09:07

when i constructed my house ... i highlighted to contractors and they agreed with me

for safety reasons all grills have to be vertical and not horizontal
not even diagonal ...

kids have tendency to climb ... so make sure they are all vertical grills

if your existing is NOT vertical ... just change it .. no mgmt dare to force you to stick to original non vertical and challenge you over safety reasons ..

devilplate
27-06-11, 09:14
when i constructed my house ... i highlighted to contractors and they agreed with me

for safety reasons all grills have to be vertical and not horizontal
not even diagonal ...

kids have tendency to climb ... so make sure they are all vertical grills

if your existing is NOT vertical ... just change it .. no mgmt dare to force you to stick to original non vertical and challenge you over safety reasons ..

tats a gd point

hopeful
27-06-11, 09:18
How abt foldable glass panels? I like to test e legal system!

why don't you install vertical grills and then wrap fake vines over the grills. from afar, looks like natural plants. grills wont be visible.

hyenergix
27-06-11, 09:20
Lock the sliding glass doors that lead into the balcony at all times. And make sure someone is at home to supervise the kids. Young kids are a problem. You cannot leave them alone for even a short while. There was a recent case of a pre-schooler who fell out of a window in an HDB apartment when his mother was out. If the locks are not child-proof, then you must change the locks to child-proof ones or even change the sliding doors if necessary even if at great expense because it's not worth to risk the life of your kids.

Whether you can install windows or grilles to your balcony, the best approach is to check with the Management Office. In older condos it's often possible.

This one at Signature Park also:

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20071107-35000.html

Japanese toddler dies after fall from condo flat
Diana Othman and Tracy SuaWed, Nov 07, 2007
The Straits Times

AN 18-MONTH-OLD Japanese toddler died after she fell eight floors from an apartment at Signature Park condominium in Jalan Jurong Kechil on Tuesday afternoon.

Police said they received a call at 3.45 pm that a girl was found with injuries at the foot of a block in the estate. She was rushed to the National University Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Police are investigating the case as unnatural death.

The toddler is understood to have fallen out of an eighth floor apartment.Her parents, who have been staying at the condominium for several years, collected her body from the mortuary on Wednesday afternoon.

Japanese residents at the condominium said the the toddler's mother had gone to pick up an older sibling from school and left her at home when the incident happened.

Retiree Tan Yun Chee, 50, who was visiting his grandchild in the condominium, said in Mandarin: "I saw the mother clutching the child in her arms and crying. The baby was crying as well.

"Blood was oozing from the child's head and back. A few women were consoling the mother."

Several Japanese women who live in neighbouring blocks were talking about the incident near the block where the child had fallen.

Speaking to The Straits Times on Wednesday morning, one of the women said: "The family is very upset at the moment. We are praying for them."

She said that the family had asked them not to give any information to the media.

Mr Quintos Ong, who lives in a groundfloor unit, described the family as quiet and keeps to themselves.

Added the father of two children, aged eight and seven: "I always see the mother coming down with the little girl and walking around. She is friendly and always stops to chat with other Japanese women."

This is the second reported tragedy involving a child in the condominium, which is popular with Japanese and Korean expatriates.

Eight years ago, a seven-year-old boy died after he drowned in the condominium's swimming pool.

hopeful
27-06-11, 09:26
anybody knows after a child fell out from balcony, the condo by-laws changed to allow the installation of grills?

hopefully, 3rd time lucky for Signature Park.:doh:

ysyap
27-06-11, 09:28
I do know of a type of window which is not fixed. It actually slides to the extreme sides to give you the no windows feeling coz its totally empty, just like an open balcony. Not sure if this qualifies! :D I used them some years back for HDB with no problem...

proud owner
27-06-11, 09:32
[quote=hyenergix]This one at Signature Park also:

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20071107-35000.html

Japanese toddler dies after fall from condo flat
Diana Othman and Tracy SuaWed, Nov 07, 2007
The Straits Times

a friend's friend had a sad story as well ...

she was in the kitchen ...and her 3 yr old son was playing in the HDB living room ...

he placed a stool by the window and looked out of the window ...

the window was lock ...

he placed his face against the grill ..with square design ...

somehow ... his face slipped into the sq hole ..

as he tried to pull his head out .. and failed .. he panicked and struggled and scream ... and he kicked ..

he stool fell ...

she heard a brief scream ..followed by a thud ...

then it was all silent ....

when she came out of the kitchen ...

he was dead ... hanging by the head .. on the window grill ...

THATS WHY ITS SO IMPORTANT THAT WE MUST AND CAN ONLY HAVE VERTICAL GRILL ...

damn trade esthestic for safety

chiaberry
27-06-11, 09:33
Even with grilles on the windows and balconies, it is NOT SAFE to leave young children at home unattended. They can get into all sorts of trouble including drowning in pails of water, electrocuting themselves, scalding themselves with hot water, etc etc. Though they may be sleeping when you leave them, they may wake up while you are away even for a short while.

One of the kids who died recently falling from an HDB flat was not even a toddler. He was in K2 I believe. But he was left alone at home.

ysyap
27-06-11, 09:36
Never play with such fires... All it takes is one silly mistake and you have the rest of your life to regret it. :scared-3:

proud owner
27-06-11, 09:37
Even with grilles on the windows and balconies, it is NOT SAFE to leave young children at home unattended. They can get into all sorts of trouble including drowning in pails of water, electrocuting themselves, scalding themselves with hot water, etc etc. Though they may be sleeping when you leave them, they may wake up while you are away even for a short while.

One of the kids who died recently falling from an HDB flat was not even a toddler. He was in K2 I believe. But he was left alone at home.

when we were young ... very young ... we were tied on one leg to a pillar in the house ..

cruel .. but safe ...

hopeful
27-06-11, 09:37
he placed his face against the grill ..with square design ...
somehow ... his face slipped into the sq hole ..
as he tried to pull his head out .. and failed .. he panicked and struggled and scream ... and he kicked ..
he stool fell ...
she heard a brief scream ..followed by a thud ...
then it was all silent ....
when she came out of the kitchen ...
he was dead ... hanging by the head .. on the window grill ...

something doesnt match. was he dead because of choking or the neck snapped?

anyway, according to escape artists, if the head can slip through, the body can follow. just make the width of grills is smaller than the head.

hopeful
27-06-11, 09:39
when we were young ... very young ... we were tied on one leg to a pillar in the house ..

cruel .. but safe ...

I read that animals caught in a trap usually chew their leg off to escape. lucky our children didnt chew their legs off.

proud owner
27-06-11, 09:42

anyway, according to escape artists, if the head can slip through, the body can follow. just make the width of grills is smaller than the head.

he was choked .. the stool fell .. he was too young and not strong enuff to pull himself up ..like how we do chin ups

anyway probably he panicked and struggled ...

ysyap
27-06-11, 09:42
This discussion is getting disgusting and horrifying... :doh: So there is no best solution to protect our young kids from falling off balconies? Hmmm.... :spliff2:

devilplate
27-06-11, 09:43

cruel .. but safe ...

wah! r u serious?!?!?!:scared-1:

proud owner
27-06-11, 09:44

he choked

probably too young and not strong enuff to lift himself like how we do chin ups ..

devilplate
27-06-11, 09:45
This discussion is getting disgusting and horrifying... :doh: So there is no best solution to protect our young kids from falling off balconies? Hmmm.... :spliff2:

install grills at ur sliding door and lock it wif the key!

ysyap
27-06-11, 09:45
And the thud probably is the sound of the falling stool! :scared-4:

devilplate
27-06-11, 09:46
he choked

probably too young and not strong enuff to lift himself like how we do chin ups ..

yes i can imagine how his head got stucked inside and the chair fell off

ysyap
install grills at ur sliding door and lock it wif the key!Thank you... will do so... ;)

proud owner
wah! r u serious?!?!?!:scared-1:

hahaha
i am not kidding ...

i grew up in kampung ...

we had huge garden ...etc

there was no balcony for us to fall over ..

but we had trees ...

i guess my parents were afraid i would go out and climb the tress ...

devilplate
27-06-11, 09:47
And the thud probably is the sound of the falling stool! :scared-4:

u sure its not from breaking neck?:scared-1:

devilplate
27-06-11, 09:49
hahaha
i am not kidding ...

i grew up in kampung ...

we had huge garden ...etc

there was no balcony for us to fall over ..

but we had trees ...

i guess my parents were afraid i would go out and climb the tress ...

ic...u must be so mischievous when u r yng...hehe

but to tie a kid up.....i nvr even tie my dog at hm lor....:scared-5:

den let say got fire....how u gona escape...:scared-3:

proud owner
27-06-11, 09:49
yes i can imagine how his head got stucked inside and the chair fell off

this is a true story ...

i didnt see it myself ... but when my friend told us the incident ... all present couldnt help but felt the pain the parents must have felt ...

i would rather have ugly design..that are safe ...

hopeful
27-06-11, 09:50
u sure its not from breaking neck?:scared-1:
from all the movies I saw, no noise from breaking neck.
either by hanging or commando breaking enemies' neck.

dont know about real life.

i heard NS soldiers practice by snapping live chicken. when snapped the neck, does the breaking of neck make noise?

hopeful
27-06-11, 09:51
about the artifical vines covering the vertical grills.

is there a height limit to the plants? anybody knows?

devilplate
27-06-11, 10:04
from all the movies I saw, no noise from breaking neck.
either by hanging or commando breaking enemies' neck.

dont know about real life.

i heard NS soldiers practice by snapping live chicken. when snapped the neck, does the breaking of neck make noise?

mabe only for commandos? i nvr haf to break chicken neck...thank goodness

ysyap
27-06-11, 10:08
mabe only for commandos? i nvr haf to break chicken neck...thank goodnessYes only for commandos... my friend told me about it... :D

hopeful
27-06-11, 10:09
one thing that don't make sense.
How come the mother didnt come out to investigate after hearing scream and thud?
if come out immediately, still can save the kid. won't be so fast to die from choking.

devilplate
27-06-11, 10:10
one thing that don't make sense.
How come the mother didnt come out to investigate after hearing scream and thud?
if come out immediately, still can save the kid. won't be so fast to die from choking.

tats y i suspect thud sound from the neck:scared-3:

marktkt22
28-06-11, 01:02
As they said, invisible grille.
But it has gaps in between, be careful of their head.
Reading this thread true story is more scary than ghost stories.
I got kids, now i m worried.

kingkong1984
28-06-11, 01:37
No need to install anything when u teach them the concept of safety from young.

When I was a kid, I saw a kid fell from the common corridor of a hdb from the 11th storey. They were playing hide and seek and the younger one took a step from the flower pots located at the corridor and fell to his death. The mum was at the foot of the block within a minute of his screams as he fell and his siblings cries. Heart wrenching scene.

ysyap
28-06-11, 07:54

When I was a kid, I saw a kid fell from the common corridor of a hdb from the 11th storey. They were playing hide and seek and the younger one took a step from the flower pots located at the corridor and fell to his death. The mum was at the foot of the block within a minute of his screams as he fell and his siblings cries. Heart wrenching scene.Yes must always educate them from young but the problem is kids at 3 years old are still pretty incapable of digesting what you warn them and seemingly immune and ignorant to dangers, so still have to physically protect them! :o

proud owner
28-06-11, 08:47

When I was a kid, I saw a kid fell from the common corridor of a hdb from the 11th storey. They were playing hide and seek and the younger one took a step from the flower pots located at the corridor and fell to his death. The mum was at the foot of the block within a minute of his screams as he fell and his siblings cries. Heart wrenching scene.

yes teaching them about safety is impt

its the period from crawling , to standing up , to walking , them climbing

at that age ... they wont understand what is safety ..

use a cane if you must .. where it hurts .. they will learn ..not to go near there ..

extremme
28-06-11, 14:10
oh dear, we are also very concerned. Can the mgt allow us to install grilles at balcony? no doubt exterior facade will look uglier but children's safety comes first!

hopeful
28-06-11, 14:48
oh dear, we are also very concerned. Can the mgt allow us to install grilles at balcony? no doubt exterior facade will look uglier but children's safety comes first!

has anybody checked on wrapping artificial vines over external grills?
any height limit of plants in condominiums?

bfam
28-06-11, 14:57
Recently Parc Lumiere DBSS in Simei was in the news coz some owners installed those invisible grilles at their balconies. They kena discovered and were told to take down. Some of them wrote to the MP. Not sure of the outcome. The other day, we went past that place and saw quite a number of them even had very visible horizontal grilles. Safety versus aesthetics... :beats-me-man: Seems like Sim Lian's typical designs are with big balconies front and back... money-making.

hopeful
28-06-11, 15:15
from
http://www.bca.gov.sg/publications/BMSM/BM_strata_mgt_reg.html#by-laws

Alteration or damage to common property
5. —(1) A subsidiary proprietor or an occupier of a lot shall not mark, paint, drive nails or screws or the like into, or otherwise damage or deface, any structure that forms part of the common property except with the prior written approval of the management corporation.

(2) An approval given by the management corporation under paragraph (1) shall not authorise any additions to the common property.

(3) This by-law shall not prevent a subsidiary proprietor or an occupier of a lot, or a person authorised by such subsidiary proprietor or occupier from installing —
(a) any locking or other safety device for protection of the subsidiary proprietor's or occupier's lot against intruders or to improve safety within that lot;
(b) any screen or other device to prevent entry of animals or insects on the lot;
(c) any structure or device to prevent harm to children; or
(d) any device used to affix decorative items to the internal surfaces of walls in the subsidiary proprietor's or occupier's lot.

(4) Any such locking or safety device, screen, other device or structure must be installed in a competent and proper manner and must have an appearance, after it has been installed, in keeping with such guidelines as the management corporation may prescribe regarding such installations, and with the appearance of the rest of the building.

My intepretation:
1) if everybody install grills, then ok since common appearance.
2) disguise grills
which take precedence?
point 3(c) or point 4?

ysyap
28-06-11, 15:48
A difficult call. The way I interpret is installation of grill can be allowed after the management agree on a standard colour, etc to enhance the visual appeal of the condo! :o

devilplate
28-06-11, 16:29
No excuse at all lah!

Can install sliding grills at the sliding glass door wat? Y must install grill at the balcony?:rolleyes:

cheerful
28-06-11, 16:31
Thot those near-invisible grilles are quite ok rt??

Recently Parc Lumiere DBSS in Simei was in the news coz some owners installed those invisible grilles at their balconies. They kena discovered and were told to take down. Some of them wrote to the MP. Not sure of the outcome. The other day, we went past that place and saw quite a number of them even had very visible horizontal grilles. Safety versus aesthetics... :beats-me-man: Seems like Sim Lian's typical designs are with big balconies front and back... money-making.

hopeful
28-06-11, 16:38
No excuse at all lah!

Can install sliding grills at the sliding glass door wat? Y must install grill at the balcony?:rolleyes:

better to have a "dead" grill.
nobody here fighting for childrens' rights?

i think 10 children fall from balcony in 10 years no impact. 10 children fall from balcony in 1 week then have impact to change regulation.

clover by the park how? forummers say have long corridor.......

teddybear
28-06-11, 16:41
Those people want to remove the glass door mah because nowsadays balcony so big (10% of total floor area) and living room so small (in comparison) that they have to find all ways to use balcony as extended living room area or dinning area! :doh:

No excuse at all lah!

cheerful
28-06-11, 16:44
Yah, that is why I thot invisible grilles much betta (suitable for those who want to make use of balcony & combine it into living space) :p

chiaberry
28-06-11, 17:12
My personal opinion. Such a waste to buy a nice new condo, then install grills (if allowed to by MCST). Makes the interior look like an OLD condo, worse still like an HDB flat. Might as well buy an OLD condo. Then the rules are not so stringent, can install grills or even windows to block up the balcony. Wait until the kids have grown up then treat yourself to a new condo.

When I bought a resale condo, I removed all the grills and the windows on the balcony and it really does make a big difference to the interior of the condo. So much more modern and appealing without the "jail house" look.

devilplate
28-06-11, 17:14
My personal opinion. Such a waste to buy a nice new condo, then install grills (if allowed to by MCST). Makes the interior look like an OLD condo, worse still like an HDB flat. Might as well buy an OLD condo. Then the rules are not so stringent, can install grills or even windows to block up the balcony. Wait until the kids have grown up then treat yourself to a new condo.

When I bought a resale condo, I removed all the grills and the windows on the balcony and it really does make a big difference to the interior of the condo. So much more modern and appealing without the "jail house" look.
Old condos here leak there leak....and not necessarily much cheaper now!:doh:

hopeful
28-06-11, 17:18

you don't need to ask permission to remove grills and balcony windows? since you are changing external facade, they ask you to install back how :D.

kingkong1984
28-06-11, 18:22
you don't need to ask permission to remove grills and balcony windows? since you are changing external facade, they ask you to install back how :D.

Its was already illegal or messy to start with. MCST could have anyhow given approval and cannot rescind them.

Remember... all new will become old

when old.. can do fancy tricks and people would care less.

Balcony... Enclosing... if really want to enclose. Can try doing half and claim it is not "enclosed'' as it is still open.. Technical point. No 100% enclose means it is not enclosed. Get it? Just shielded.

If external facade is an issue. Try to have curtains outside the enclosoure. Whoever said that u cannot put curtains at the balcony?

Curtains first to public eye. Waterproof ones could be useful.

marktkt22
28-06-11, 18:50
Invisible grille and teaching and constant. monitoring.
Solid grille is like jail..

chiaberry
28-06-11, 18:58

Not changing the external facade. Just restoring it to its original condition which did NOT have grills and balcony windows.

Management office have approved anyway. Cannot get away with anything with this management. Every day they check on the workers twice a day. So that the workers do according to the plan and not do anything "illegal".

ysyap
28-06-11, 21:21
The best is to buy units without balconies! :p

gav108
28-06-11, 21:40

actually i would really love balconies if Singapore were not so darn hot :simmering:

extremme
28-06-11, 21:40
Wat are invisible grilles? Can anyone enlighten me as to wat they look like n how much it costs? I will definitely install living room grilles on top of sliding door but best is also can install grilles at balcony. Children's safety comes first

ysyap
28-06-11, 21:48
Wat are invisible grilles? Can anyone enlighten me as to wat they look like n how much it costs? I will definitely install living room grilles on top of sliding door but best is also can install grilles at balcony. Children's safety comes firstCheck it out... http://www.legate.com.sg/index.html

chiaberry
28-06-11, 21:51
actually i would really love balconies if Singapore were not so darn hot :simmering:

I want the balcony. To take my evening drink while enjoying the panoramic view. :cheers3: My balcony is SE facing. Not hot. It's very windy. Even the contractor said so. He was the one who persuaded me to remove the windows and grills.

hyenergix
28-06-11, 21:56
I prefer glass envelope around the balcony with air-condition.

kane
28-06-11, 21:57
I want the balcony. To take my evening drink while enjoying the panoramic view. :cheers3: My balcony is SE facing. Not hot. It's very windy. Even the contractor said so. He was the one who persuaded me to remove the windows and grills.

what floor is your apt on?

chiaberry
28-06-11, 21:58
what floor are you on?

18th floor.

ysyap
28-06-11, 22:00
18th floor.Good height indeed to enjoy a morning coffee or evening tea with nice SE wind! :D

chiaberry
28-06-11, 22:00
I prefer glass envelope around the balcony with air-condition.

Glass around balcony acts like a greenhouse. The heat will be concentrated inside.

I don't like to use air-con. Have not used air-con at home before. Prefer natural ventilation. It's healthier and more eco-friendly.

kane
28-06-11, 22:02
18th floor.

no wonder you get the breeze. above 15th is prefer for the breeze but there'll be no pool view at that height.

hyenergix
28-06-11, 22:04
Air con is less dusty and cooler. I love air con although it is neither environmentally friendly nor cheap :ashamed1:

extremme
28-06-11, 22:06
Check it out... http://www.legate.com.sg/index.html
Ooh thanks think this doesn't look so Obvious to the naked eye and can install this for every room windows then use curtains to hide
But Duno how to hide for balcony

kingkong1984
28-06-11, 22:06
Air con is less dusty and cooler. I love air con although it is neither environmentally friendly nor cheap :ashamed1:
Install a ceiling fan.....wonderful breeze to keep u cool and healthy.

kane
28-06-11, 22:11
Install a ceiling fan.....wonderful breeze to keep u cool and healthy.

some say ceiling fan is not good for fengshui.

hyenergix
28-06-11, 22:14
I love air con and ceiing fan together. Shiok! :D

kingkong1984
28-06-11, 22:16
I love air con and ceiing fan together. Shiok! :D
Me too.... Very cooling, very fast.... May not be healthy.

As for fengshui, can ignore cause emperors use fan also.. Just not the ceiling type.

ysyap
28-06-11, 22:16
Those who install ceiling fans, is it good? Will most part of the room get the wind? I used to have ceiling fan but realised that some corners of the room has only wind on my feet and not my body! :doh: So preferred mobile standing fans. :D

kingkong1984
28-06-11, 22:20
Those who install ceiling fans, is it good? Will most part of the room get the wind? I used to have ceiling fan but realised that some corners of the room has only wind on my feet and not my body! :doh: So preferred mobile standing fans. :D

Good only if u r under the fan... Overall better as the fans cools the whole room.

hyenergix
28-06-11, 22:20
Larger blades better. More uniform air flow and less noise. I switch on both during the day only. At night just air-con only or else it will be too cold and bad for lungs and nose.

kingkong1984
28-06-11, 22:21
5 blades is better than 3

ysyap
28-06-11, 22:23
5 blades is better than 3Noted. Will get the 5 blades for the living room for my next reno and maybe settle for 3 blades for the bedroom! :o

kane
28-06-11, 22:24
does anyone have the vornado? is it any good?

devilplate
28-06-11, 22:25
5 blades is better than 3
Y not 4 blades?:p

kingkong1984
28-06-11, 22:31
Y not 4 blades?:p
Fengshui.... Die forever.... :D

chiaberry
28-06-11, 22:38
no wonder you get the breeze. above 15th is prefer for the breeze but there'll be no pool view at that height.

Can still see the pool. But not from the balcony. From the master bedroom.

Kitchen and back yard has some greenery/reservoir view facing NW. I made a bar counter facing the kitchen window as an alternative to the balcony city view (and in case it rains I will be sipping my wine watching the sun set over the reservoir). :cheers4:

kane
28-06-11, 22:41
Can still see the pool. But not from the balcony. From the master bedroom.

Kitchen and back yard has some greenery/reservoir view facing NW. I made a bar counter facing the kitchen window as an alternative to the balcony city view (and in case it rains I will be sipping my wine watching the sun set over the reservoir). :cheers4:

your kitchen window must be pretty wide to have an alternative view. most newer developments don't have much of a view out from the kitchen.

chiaberry
28-06-11, 22:48
your kitchen window must be pretty wide to have an alternative view. most newer developments don't have much of a view out from the kitchen.

Yes it's the full width of the kitchen (not the length). I am fussy about light and ventilation in the kitchen and bathrooms. Kitchen and bathrooms must have fair sized windows to let in air and light. That's the selling point for me.

devilplate
28-06-11, 22:53
Yes it's the full width of the kitchen (not the length). I am fussy about light and ventilation in the kitchen and bathrooms. Kitchen and bathrooms must have fair sized windows to let in air and light. That's the selling point for me.
Sky11 best best...vitamin m not enuff:(

P11 kitchen aso total airy bright and nice views

Douk
28-06-11, 22:58
Noted. Will get the 5 blades for the living room for my next reno and maybe settle for 3 blades for the bedroom! :o
Check out the brand alpha.

kane
28-06-11, 23:06

that's would be my wife's soft spot, the kitchen.

chiaberry
28-06-11, 23:10
Sky11 best best...vitamin m not enuff:(

P11 kitchen aso total airy bright and nice views

Yep Sky11 kitchen seems big. Vitamin M required also a large dose. Eat your retirement money.

What's P11?

chiaberry
28-06-11, 23:14
that's would be my wife's soft spot, the kitchen.

I notice these days new developments don't have much kitchen space. I presume young people don't cook much. They prefer to eat out. Or it's more convenient to eat out.

devilplate
28-06-11, 23:15
Yep Sky11 kitchen seems big. Vitamin M required also a large dose. Eat your retirement money.

What's P11?
Pavilion 11

kane
28-06-11, 23:50
I notice these days new developments don't have much kitchen space. I presume young people don't cook much. They prefer to eat out. Or it's more convenient to eat out.

no time to cook, all to busy ferrying kids for tuition and other enrichment.

devilplate
28-06-11, 23:53
Kitchen only used by maids nowadays:p

kingkong1984
28-06-11, 23:56
Kitchen only used by maids nowadays:p

u get bigger balcony lor..

kitchen has become balcony..

what u used to do in the past must now be done at the balcony. i.e. kill chicken there.

urban
29-06-11, 07:16
Is it allowed to install ceiling fan in the balcony?

And outdoor wooden blinds?

ysyap
29-06-11, 07:54
I've seen many condo balconies with ceiling fan so no issue! Blinds too but some management are pretty sticky about it so must still check!

proud owner
29-06-11, 08:24

ok heres some suggestions ......

Ceiling fans :

always buy those that are 'reversible' ...
when use clockwise .. it sucks in air from above and pushes it down .
so you can only feel the wind if you are directly under the fan, OR if your room is small , then can feel the wind thru out the room

when switch to spin anti clockwise,.. it sucks UP air from directly under the fan , blows it up towards the ceiling, ..and pushes the air OUT ALL DIRECTIONs, ..hits the wall ...and DOWN ...
this way ,, no matter where you sit in the room ..theres breeze coming from 'behind' you ...
very useful if you have large room .. and when you have many people in the room .. like during chinese new year ... very effective in circulating the air ..and EVERYONE can feel the breeze ..

as for grills

yes balcony is only good if you live high floor ..and if you are a smoker ..hehehe

i do not like balcony..but if theres one... i wont grill it...

i can suggest what my friend did ..
for his bedrooms, and balcony ...(check with mgtm office first, especially for balcony) some 'cat female, cat male' mgtm may not approve this for balcony

what he did .. he custom made whole sheet of Acrylic and mount it ..
in the bedrooms, its mounted inside ..

holes of varies sizes are cut thru out the sheet, creating some kind of patterns ..
also for one to put the arms out to open and close window .. also allow wind in and out of rooms ... kids wont be able to fall out of window as it is an entire sheet ..

same for balcony ... all 3 sides ...
in fact it looks really nice ...

kingkong1984
29-06-11, 09:17
good suggestions :)

devilplate
29-06-11, 09:30
so far nothing beats invisible grill

kingkong1984
29-06-11, 09:49

yes, very nice...

invisible.... the emperor's new cloths :) hahaha

proud owner
29-06-11, 09:54

its 'invisible' from a distance ..

but still pretty obvious even across a block ...

and totally visible from within the unit ... and looks prisony

devilplate
29-06-11, 09:58
its 'invisible' from a distance ..

but still pretty obvious even across a block ...

and totally visible from within the unit ... and looks prisony

but hor acrylic block some wind rite?

or do 'invisible' netting tat keep out bugs as well

chiaberry
29-06-11, 10:21

The netting is also not very invisible. I think if having young kids, you just have to put up with the grills for safety. You can always remove the grills at a later stage when the kids have grown up. The white colour grills seem to be nicer than the dark colour ones. But I believe they are more expensive.

fclim
29-06-11, 10:21

Does the mgt usually approve the invisible grills?

devilplate
29-06-11, 10:24
The netting is also not very invisible. I think if having young kids, you just have to put up with the grills for safety. You can always remove the grills at a later stage when the kids have grown up. The white colour grills seem to be nicer than the dark colour ones. But I believe they are more expensive.

i m ok wif invisible grills...by far the best oredi:D

proud owner
29-06-11, 10:25

thats why cut holes in it ... randomly placed and varies sizes ..but smaller than a baby's head

devilplate
29-06-11, 10:26
Does the mgt usually approve the invisible grills?

duno....if ur condo oredi gotten CSC, den jus bochap n try ur luck lor....dun blame me if u goto remove it....hahaha

usually b4 CSC, mgmt very very catty one la....surely disapprove

devilplate
29-06-11, 10:27
thats why cut holes in it ... randomly placed and varies sizes ..but smaller than a baby's head

i noe...but still blocked a gd amount of winds .....nvm invisible grill still da best for me now...

btw, u hf pictures of the acrylic thing?

chiaberry
29-06-11, 10:31
i noe...but still blocked a gd amount of winds .....nvm invisible grill still da best for me now...

yep yep would also appreciate pictures of the acrylic thingy.

And devil, if you have pictures of your view with the invisiable grill that would also be helpful.

Thx guys (or gurls)!

proud owner
29-06-11, 10:33

i will try and ask if my friend can take a pic and email to me ...

29-06-11, 10:42

This acrylic thing sounds very interesting. althou i have not seen or heard of it before, but your friend shd think of selling it commercially with so many of us living in high rise flats, sure there will be takers...

hopeful
29-06-11, 10:57
how is acrylic different from glass?
glass should be more transparent.

proud owner
29-06-11, 11:00
how is acrylic different from glass?
glass should be more transparent.

can be equally transparent ...
can be lighter
doesnt shatter like glass ..unless its tempered glasswhich is ex

downside ..Acrylic leaves scratch marks if the wrong cleaning material is used

check out some restaurants ..they used it as divider

ysyap
29-06-11, 11:30
So now its invisible grill vs acrylic? :D Pics speak a thousand words so we'll wait to see the pics... :p

kingkong1984
29-06-11, 16:08
http://forums.condosingapore.com/showpost.php?p=172129&postcount=26

More relevant here..

In my views... better!

ysyap
29-06-11, 17:02
I actually used one similar to what Kingkong mentioned but instead of single panels of glass, its actually windows that can be opened like normal windows but in addition, can be railed to the sides upon opening! Just 2 tracks needed for larger balconies! :o

kingkong1984
29-06-11, 17:17
I actually used one similar to what Kingkong mentioned but instead of single panels of glass, its actually windows that can be opened like normal windows but in addition, can be railed to the sides upon opening! Just 2 tracks needed for larger balconies! :o

I know.. local version

Bestview(tm) windows.

http://www.window.sg/

Expansive leh.

ysyap
29-06-11, 17:20
You certainly are very resourceful. Very handy with all these pics and websites. So which is preferred? The glass panels or the window panels? Which one more practical? Don't think its that expensive lah. If I can afford it many years back, it should be affordable! :D

chiaberry
29-06-11, 20:22
I saw some HDB flats had installed half-height grills for their windows. That means not going all the way to the top but stopping half-way. So that it stops a child from falling out but yet does not totally impede the view.

kingkong1984
29-06-11, 21:14
You certainly are very resourceful. Very handy with all these pics and websites. So which is preferred? The glass panels or the window panels? Which one more practical? Don't think its that expensive lah. If I can afford it many years back, it should be affordable! :D
Actually, only can install invisible grill. The rest for hdb only.

Between the one track and two track window, one track got many legs and two track got big casing... So which do u prefer?

ysyap
29-06-11, 21:28
Actually, only can install invisible grill. The rest for hdb only.

Between the one track and two track window, one track got many legs and two track got big casing... So which do u prefer?I used the 2 track so my windows could actually open all the way to have the total empty feeling. :D

kingkong1984
29-06-11, 21:30
I used the 2 track so my windows could actually open all the way to have the total empty feeling. :D

I like the two track one too...

Condo can install? Any pics?

ysyap
29-06-11, 22:49
I like the two track one too...

Condo can install? Any pics?Don't have any pics now. Not sure online can find. Thought you have some nice pics already? I seriously doubt condo management will allow it coz I haven't really seen it in condos yet! Hmmm... :confused:

extremme
29-06-11, 23:04
duno....if ur condo oredi gotten CSC, den jus bochap n try ur luck lor....dun blame me if u goto remove it....hahaha

usually b4 CSC, mgmt very very catty one la....surely disapprove
Wat is csc? Can we install invisible grilles e moment condo top n we get our keys and we just act blur?

ysyap
29-06-11, 23:16
Wat is csc? Can we install invisible grilles e moment condo top n we get our keys and we just act blur?Try and let us know! :cheers1:

cl0ver
30-06-11, 00:15
are we allowed to install something like this?

rattydrama
30-06-11, 00:26
Wat is csc? Can we install invisible grilles e moment condo top n we get our keys and we just act blur?
csc = certificate of statutory completion. the developer shall be the mc for 12-15 months after TOP. So during the 1 yr period, owner or not allowed to carry out any modification works. after MC has been formed by the condo residents then it can be possible but there is still some guidelines to follow.

extremme
30-06-11, 01:16
csc = certificate of statutory completion. the developer shall be the mc for 12-15 months after TOP. So during the 1 yr period, owner or not allowed to carry out any modification works. after MC has been formed by the condo residents then it can be possible but there is still some guidelines to follow.
Ic thks me sua ku hen can we install grilles between our living room and balcony on top of the sliding door?

kane
30-06-11, 02:04

This would alter the facade no?

kingkong1984
30-06-11, 04:10
This would alter the facade no?
It depends. If it's like curtains, no, but if it is an eye sore, yes.

That is landed so no prob.

ysyap
30-06-11, 06:43
If not sure, ask developer lor during that 12 months period. Usually reno contractor with experience can also offer his opinion! :)

cl0ver
30-06-11, 07:26
It depends. If it's like curtains, no, but if it is an eye sore, yes.

That is landed so no prob.

eh this pic is Floridian!

proud owner
30-06-11, 08:45

for new condo ... definitely NO

for 30 something yr old condo ... can try ...

proud owner
30-06-11, 08:47

is this part of the origianl design ?

if NOT .. i am sure the mgtm hasnt yet recvd any complain ,,

if anyone complian they would be asked to take it down

otherwise you can also line your laundry as shade ..

ysyap
30-06-11, 08:58
is this part of the origianl design ?

if NOT .. i am sure the mgtm hasnt yet recvd any complain ,,

if anyone complian they would be asked to take it down

otherwise you can also line your laundry as shade ..Are you saying management will act only when they receive complaints? That design surely would be so blatantly obvious to anyone standing outside! This management sleeping or what? Hmmm... :D

proud owner
30-06-11, 09:02
Are you saying management will act only when they receive complaints? That design surely would be so blatantly obvious to anyone standing outside! This management sleeping or what? Hmmm... :D

my understanding is :

if its new condo ..mgtm will be more 'proactive' ..
they woiuld want all to conform
if they allow free expression..they everyone will have their own exterior changed ..

slightly older condos... usually more laxed
unless someone complain lor

kingkong1984
30-06-11, 09:04

cannot tell... not bad at all... greeny views..

well.. the balcony has been level up. There are no enclosures per se. Just additional wooden shades.

I think it is not an issue. In the old days, the chinese uses 3 panel decorated wooden panel to block the views. This is similar, just that it is not as movable but it still moves...

let's move it move it... hahaha...

Update if MCST threaten to SUE! Otherwise, ignore them.

ysyap
30-06-11, 09:05
my understanding is :

if its new condo ..mgtm will be more 'proactive' ..
they woiuld want all to conform
if they allow free expression..they everyone will have their own exterior changed ..

slightly older condos... usually more laxed
unless someone complain lorSadly, that is my experience too. My old condo don't seem to have a very on estate management office! Only act when there's complaints. :doh:

devilplate
30-06-11, 10:03
tat pic taken at floridian showflat rite?

i believe cud be like lanai whereby FEO incorporate this louver wooden panels stuff into their balcony which will become part of their facade design

devilplate
30-06-11, 10:05
Sadly, that is my experience too. My old condo don't seem to have a very on estate management office! Only act when there's complaints. :doh:

bcoz MC r formed by residents wat....not so nice to be siao ON la...u noe wat i mean....

ysyap
30-06-11, 10:16
bcoz MC r formed by residents wat....not so nice to be siao ON la...u noe wat i mean....Yes I understand. Wait the chairman's house door got art work! :D

hopeful
30-06-11, 10:45
the thing about keeping external facade the same.
MC is formed by residents.
Does non-uniform external facade (eg in balconies) reduce psf?
is that why residents want to keep uniform facade?

devilplate
30-06-11, 10:47
the thing about keeping external facade the same.
MC is formed by residents.
Does non-uniform external facade eg in balconies reduce psf?

wats ur say wif regards to ur own question?

i will give a discount bcoz it will look like HDB with different types of windows frames for eg.

kingkong1984
30-06-11, 12:17
Yes I understand. Wait the chairman's house door got art work! :D

plus foc art work for cars..

heheh

cl0ver
30-06-11, 13:50
yes, the pic is actually Floridian showroom. Misrepresentation??
from the brochure, the facade definitely does not include this....

but if u look properly, it is inside the balcony... and its foldable and i guess easy to dismantle if needed.
maybe that could be conditions from the MC?
How different is this from many using blinds or different shades of colour???

ysyap
01-07-11, 16:01
yes, the pic is actually Floridian showroom. Misrepresentation??
from the brochure, the facade definitely does not include this....

but if u look properly, it is inside the balcony... and its foldable and i guess easy to dismantle if needed.
maybe that could be conditions from the MC?
How different is this from many using blinds or different shades of colour???Well I suppose you are right if its inside the balcony and not sitting on the parapet! :D

kingkong1984
01-07-11, 16:49
You mean this is fine?

http://www.nanawall.com/Gallery2/Projectphoto.aspx?id=5038

Click on the photos.

http://www.nanawall.com/Gallery2/index.aspx?inx=16&ps=16&pn=0&

Seastrand can compare?

http://www.nanawall.com/Gallery2/Projectphoto.aspx?id=7412

Lots of nice houses with views there. In Singapore... chicken feet.

proud owner
01-07-11, 16:58
You mean this is fine?

Click on the photos.

Seastrand can compare?

looks like what i have at home

SpinCity
01-07-11, 17:01
looks like what i have at home

Something similar is used at Park Infinia to separate balcony and living room

ysyap
01-07-11, 17:05
You mean this is fine?

Click on the photos.

Seastrand can compare?

Lots of nice houses with views there. In Singapore... chicken feet.Yes they should be fine if you don't disturb the existing walls separating the living room and the balcony! Yes the seaview is fine. The TV and furniture looks good! :spliff: The ladies?

proud owner
01-07-11, 17:06
Something similar is used at Park Infinia to separate balcony and living room

its very common in landed houses really ... i think its commonly called
Bi fold door ...

note if you have them from 2 sides and want it to be stable ..then its 4, 8 panels

and not 4,6 panels

you can also decide if u want it to fold outward or fold inward ..

i even design one where its folded , then pivot at the centre on the panel n push to the side ..

ysyap
01-07-11, 17:22
its very common in landed houses really ... i think its commonly called
Bi fold door ...

note if you have them from 2 sides and want it to be stable ..then its 4, 8 panels

and not 4,6 panels

you can also decide if u want it to fold outward or fold inward ..

i even design one where its folded , then pivot at the centre on the panel n push to the side ..Anything more than 2 panels are known as multi fold door, I think! I described to the contractor once as bi-fold and he said not bi-fold! :D

TheIdler
01-07-11, 23:11

Agree! They tend to get dirty fast and need constant cleaning. Plus those with kids will have to lock their balcony the majority of the time because of safety issues

cl0ver
01-07-11, 23:52
Agree! They tend to get dirty fast and need constant cleaning. Plus those with kids will have to lock their balcony the majority of the time because of safety issues

its a lifestyle choice lah.... always nice to chill out at your balcony..... a sense of being outside, but not really outside.....

kingkong1984
02-07-11, 00:05
smokers paradise.

irisng
02-07-11, 13:31
I think my agent told me that we can have windows installed on the balcony but cannot have it completely conceal eg with concrete. It must be able to see your house from outside. But it is still better to check with your management first before action taken otherwise it will be a waste of money and time.:)

howgozit
02-07-11, 14:03
You mean this is fine?

Click on the photos.

Seastrand can compare?

They look excellent!! Do you know if they have a dealership in Singapore?

I have been using Fascina which is very good but expensive. The faux wood, security and noise cancelling is great. But the folding system is a bit different and tends to be a bit bulky when folded up. There should be an alternative to give Fascina a run for their money. Somehow the wood ones just are'nt as sturdy or secure as Fascina.

I've been hunting for something like this, where can I get this in Singapore? Thanks!

ysyap
02-07-11, 14:09
I think my agent told me that we can have windows installed on the balcony but cannot have it completely conceal eg with concrete. It must be able to see your house from outside. But it is still better to check with your management first before action taken otherwise it will be a waste of money and time.:)Sorry to sound cynical but before you sign on the dotted line, agents will say anything you like to hear or good to hear. You cannot take them to task even if they offered lousy and inaccurate advice! Take their words with a pinch of salt. :p

irisng
02-07-11, 14:26
Sorry to sound cynical but before you sign on the dotted line, agents will say anything you like to hear or good to hear. You cannot take them to task even if they offered lousy and inaccurate advice! Take their words with a pinch of salt. :p

Yup, that's why I mentioned better check with the management first before action taken.:beats-me-man:

Learn quite a lot of things from this forum, listening to forummers' experience is very rewarding.:cheers1:

kingkong1984
02-07-11, 14:39

I have been using Fascina which is very good but expensive. The faux wood, security and noise cancelling is great. But the folding system is a bit different and tends to be a bit bulky when folded up. There should be an alternative to give Fascina a run for their money. Somehow the wood ones just are'nt as sturdy or secure as Fascina.

I've been hunting for something like this, where can I get this in Singapore? Thanks!

http://www.nanawall.com/CompInfo/contactus.aspx

Write to them. I dun think it is available in Singapore. Perhaps someone can take this business idea and seek exclusive dealership in Singapore.

Anyway I dun think they will be interested. Look at the pics and you will know why. And they are not going to be cheap either.

ysyap
02-07-11, 14:41

I've been hunting for something like this, where can I get this in Singapore? Thanks!Just show the pics to your reno contractor and I'm sure they can duplicate or do something similar but at a much cheaper rate. :D

chiaberry
02-07-11, 15:47
My experience with folding doors is that after a while they don't slide and fold so well and get "stuck". And the wooden ones warp out of shape somewhat. It is also awkward to clean the joints in between the panels. The more complicated your mechanism, the more likely it is that you will run into problems in the long run.

kingkong1984
02-07-11, 15:54
My experience with folding doors is that after a while they don't slide and fold so well and get "stuck". And the wooden ones warp out of shape somewhat. It is also awkward to clean the joints in between the panels. The more complicated your mechanism, the more likely it is that you will run into problems in the long run.

Follow ang mo style.. use glass with minimum materials and groves.

howgozit
02-07-11, 16:51
Thanks for all the tips. Sorry if this is diverting the thread to home renovation talk instead of property discussion

My original folding doors (one set leading to garden in front and another set to backyard) were done by my (Ah Beng) contractor. They were wooden and done to look exactly like the ones that I showed him to on some decor magazine.

All was well until a year later, due to the warping of the wood, constant use and exposure to the elements, the alignment went out and I had problems closing it. It also didn't seem so secure because the locking mechanism wasn't very good either. Lastly, the noise proofing was quite poor.

I finally had to replace it with Fascinas bcoz I couldn't lock it properly and thus became a security issue. Cost me a bomb but the Fascinas look and work very well (touch wood)

Now, I am looking to install similar but less expensive ones on my open terrace in one of my rental apartment. Because they are on an open terrace, I am looking for something more hardy as wood will tend to deteoriate due to exposure. The aluminium ones somehow don't seem to slide very well and Fascina is too expensive for rental.

Welcome any suggestions. thank you.

chiaberry
02-07-11, 20:33
For rental apartment I strongly suggest you do not install folding doors. Your tenant cannot be trusted to open and close it gently and carefully and I think it will spoil easily unless you install the expensive one which you are not prepared to do. Normal sliding doors will do. If you want it to look a bit more "rustic" put a wooden frame around (Chengai or whatever). If you want to block the sun, install some blinds.

sh
02-07-11, 21:05
Be careful when we use real timber. chengai or otherwise. There tend to shrink, warp and rot over time... may look better but potentially problematic. Alum or plastic (like fascina) might be a safer better, especially with rental properties... don't want to deal with complaining tenants.....

With the current prices of timber, good timber may not be cheaper...

Save the rainforest....:)

:2cents:

kingkong1984
02-07-11, 21:08
Go easy, use aluminum. Light and lasting. Make sure the tracks and rollers are of lasting quality.

There's a real difference in the thickness of glass used, can be a sound shield if facing mrt tracks or expressway.

For tenants, use acrylic will do, those bi fold doors type mainly used for tiolet.

howgozit
03-07-11, 12:13
After reading all the posts, I think aluminium is the way to go. I guess it can be powder coated brown to make it more "wood" like in appearance.

I am still partial to folding doors as opposed to sliding doors. The look in my opinion is completely transformed. With the folding doors opened fully, it gives the illusion of more space as the living room extends into the balcony.

Cheers!

ysyap
03-07-11, 13:35
After reading all the posts, I think aluminium is the way to go. I guess it can be powder coated brown to make it more "wood" like in appearance.

I am still partial to folding doors as opposed to sliding doors. The look in my opinion is completely transformed. With the folding doors opened fully, it gives the illusion of more space as the living room extends into the balcony.

Cheers!Congrats on your good decision! Cheers! :cheers1:

Antione
03-07-11, 17:05
My contractor advised me not to go with folding door. He said you can only either close completely or open completely, otherwise when wind comes you will hear whirling sound through the door gaps. Especially audible in the night.
I ended up installing sliding door.
Does anyone has whirling sound experience with folding door?

gav108
26-09-11, 21:56
so has anyone installed something like this: http://www.solarlux.co.uk/en/pub/products-solarlux/balcony-glazing/balcony-glass/sl25.cfm
in your condo balcony? looks better than blinds n can ward off rain when raining. is it allowed? i am not thinking of extending the living room out into balcony space by removing the sliding doors opening into the balcony, which obviously is not allowed. anyway i want the balcony space. these balcony glazing just seems so much more functional n do not intrude on the condo's appearance...

howgozit
26-09-11, 22:02
so has anyone installed something like this: http://www.solarlux.co.uk/en/pub/products-solarlux/balcony-glazing/balcony-glass/sl25.cfm
in your condo balcony? looks better than blinds n can ward off rain when raining. is it allowed? i am not thinking of extending the living room out into balcony space by removing the sliding doors opening into the balcony, which obviously is not allowed. anyway i want the balcony space. these balcony glazing just seems so much more functional n do not intrude on the condo's appearance...

Where to find this in Singapore?

gav108
26-09-11, 22:36
seems like they have a representative office in singapore:

http://www.solarlux.co.uk/en/pub/solarlux/international-locations.cfm?/contact/locations.html

ysyap
27-09-11, 06:34
But is this installation allowed in condos? It prevents wind from entering like grilles. What is the advantage? Also, while it prevents rain from entering, it cannot prevent sunlight from entering. Win some lose some!

chiaberry
27-09-11, 07:18
Not sure if those systems from UK are suitable for Singapore climate. Our weather is very hot and humid. Those stacking glass panels need a wide range of movement (slide and rotate). If after some time the frame warps or the rollers get worn down you may have difficulty sliding and rotating, then the panels might get stuck. I am also not sure how wind proof are the panels. If you live on high floor and there's little gaps in between the panels, you will get woo-woo sound when the wind is strong. If you use air-con it might let more air out than what you want.

marktkt22
27-09-11, 07:30
Invisible grille, that how i made use of the balcony space.

mantrix
27-09-11, 07:33
Invisible grille, that how i made use of the balcony space.

How close do you need to be before it gets visible? Genuine question :D

ysyap
27-09-11, 07:49
Invisible grille, that how i made use of the balcony space.I personally have my reservation on invisible grille. Its not very sturdy, unlike the metal grilles. Can snap easily with simple tools so very dangerous for low floor residents. Not recommended for 3rd floor and below. Hmmm... just my personal distaste. :D

hopeful
27-09-11, 09:33
can we install blinds at the balcony edge?
By installing blinds and drawing themare we considered as altering the external facade?

or are we supposed to installed them at the door to the balcony?

ysyap
27-09-11, 09:42
By installing blinds and drawing themare we considered as altering the external facade?

or are we supposed to installed them at the door to the balcony?At the door to the balcony, never on the parapets of the balcony if its a fixture. Windows cannot but blinds maybe can. But I did observe in one older condo that some people actually built a wall like structure to push the balcony into their sitting room as additional indoor space. Wow! External facade totally destroyed but apparently no further actions were taken against them and subsequently other home owners followed. Now that condo looks ugly. LOL! :sleep:

buttercarp
27-09-11, 09:43

or are we supposed to installed them at the door to the balcony?

Should be ok.
So many people doing it.
I don't think it is considered alteration to the external facade as it can be rolled up and it is not a fixture.

hopeful
27-09-11, 10:02
Should be ok.
So many people doing it.
I don't think it is considered alteration to the external facade as it can be rolled up and it is not a fixture.

so blinds can be rolled down permanently? I am not a sun person.

Laguna
27-09-11, 10:12
whether can or cannot, it depends condo to condo.
I personally dun like all units come with different design, different colour all over the place

marktkt22
27-09-11, 10:12
It quite sturdy, ....actually, stainless steel core .

QUOTE=ysyap]I personally have my reservation on invisible grille. Its not very sturdy, unlike the metal grilles. Can snap easily with simple tools so very dangerous for low floor residents. Not recommended for 3rd floor and below. Hmmm... just my personal distaste. :D[/QUOTE]

marktkt22
27-09-11, 10:26
Within the house, it visible.
View casually from level 1, it blend into the light .
U must already know it there, look for it, then u will c it.

QUOTE=mantrix]How close do you need to be before it gets visible? Genuine question :D[/QUOTE]

mantrix
27-09-11, 10:32
Within the house, it visible.
View casually from level 1, it blend into the light .
U must already know it there, look for it, then u will c it.

QUOTE=mantrix]How close do you need to be before it gets visible? Genuine question :D[/quote]

thanks - so if i am standing say 2m away will it be very visible also?

howgozit
27-09-11, 16:04
seems like they have a representative office in singapore:

http://www.solarlux.co.uk/en/pub/solarlux/international-locations.cfm?/contact/locations.html

Thanks! will check it out, they look really neat.

gav108
27-09-11, 19:21
But is this installation allowed in condos? It prevents wind from entering like grilles. What is the advantage? Also, while it prevents rain from entering, it cannot prevent sunlight from entering. Win some lose some!

that is what i m wondering - is it allowed? if u don't want sunlight, then this is not an option. i like it as it allows the balcony to serve as indoor or outdoor space as needed, and will not affect condo appearance since it's all glass.

nowadays new condos' living area taken up by huge balconies, so it might be gd to extend indoor space out to balcony area when there are guests?

i also don't know if the gaps between the glass panels r tight - don't seem to have sealant between them. as for warping etc, feel not likely as the system seems quite high-end

DC33_2008
27-09-11, 21:25
Don't you think condo facade will look awful with different units having different blinds or grilles at the balcony?
Thanks! will check it out, they look really neat.

gav108
27-09-11, 22:19
Don't you think condo facade will look awful with different units having different blinds or grilles at the balcony?

we r talking about this: http://www.solarlux.co.uk/en/pub/products-solarlux/balcony-glazing/balcony-glass/sl25.cfm and not blinds or grilles

DC33_2008
27-09-11, 22:28
This is popular is temperature climates as it served as a greenhouse to help them to grow plants. But it will be very hot in Singapore. :scared-3:
we r talking about this: http://www.solarlux.co.uk/en/pub/products-solarlux/balcony-glazing/balcony-glass/sl25.cfm and not blinds or grilles

chiaberry
27-09-11, 23:08
I agree. Those landed properties with a lot of glass on the facade are hot because they are actually big greenhouses.

urban
29-09-11, 23:04
I want to install a ceiling fan. Can?

ysyap
30-09-11, 13:30
I want to install a ceiling fan. Can?At the balcony? Usually can lah unless your condo management is very fussy! :cheers6:

DC33_2008
30-09-11, 13:33
Why do you need a fan at the balcony? Is it a low floor unit?
I want to install a ceiling fan. Can?

urban
01-10-11, 06:49

High floor unit. But fan will ensure breeze at all times.

hyenergix
01-10-11, 07:26
Indoor ceiling fan is good. But strange to find one at balcony. Cleaning the balcony fan is hazardous as falling from ladder and tripping over the edge of the balcony could happen.

Note: some construction sites fatal accidents really happened when the workers fall from height and over the edge of the building.

urban
01-10-11, 07:33

ecimbew
01-10-11, 09:51

Maybe yours is surrounded by many tall concrete blocks.
What's the location? Did you enclose your balcony? Which floor?

DC33_2008
01-10-11, 09:58
Fan will be exposed to weathering and may wear out faster. Could spin and fall downstairs. :scared-4:
Indoor ceiling fan is good. But strange to find one at balcony. Cleaning the balcony fan is hazardous as falling from ladder and tripping over the edge of the balcony could happen.

Note: some construction sites fatal accidents really happened when the workers fall from height and over the edge of the building.

chiaberry
01-10-11, 10:40
Fan will be exposed to weathering and may wear out faster. Could spin and fall downstairs. :scared-4:

Agree. For balcony it's safer to use a stand fan.

If on a high floor it should be breezy enough without needing a fan most of the time unless you have a west-facing balcony.

DC33_2008
01-10-11, 13:13
standing fan can help to push the air into the house.
Agree. For balcony it's safer to use a stand fan.

If on a high floor it should be breezy enough without needing a fan most of the time unless you have a west-facing balcony.

Komo
01-10-11, 13:28
Is outdoor ceiling fan different from indoor type?
should be more durable and "weather proof"?
also more secured to the ceiling?
:confused:

DC33_2008
01-10-11, 13:44
You will have to ensure it is property mounted on the ceiling and not damaging the ceiling slab. Otherwise, you upstair neighbour will come after you.
Is outdoor ceiling fan different from indoor type?
should be more durable and "weather proof"?
also more secured to the ceiling?
:confused:

chiaberry
01-10-11, 14:08
If your upstairs neighbour's balcony has deterioraration in the water-proofing of the balcony floor and water seeps through it will affect the wiring of your ceiling mounted fan.

ysyap
01-10-11, 15:16
If your upstairs neighbour's balcony has deterioraration in the water-proofing of the balcony floor and water seeps through it will affect the wiring of your ceiling mounted fan.Same goes for damaged water proofing in kitchen floor and other parts of the house too... :D

gav108
11-11-11, 18:13
a very nice design for a balcony screen. too bad i can't find any company in s'pore that does something like this.

http://www.trimlite.com.au/sliding-screens.html

Tripp
09-10-12, 14:43
Bump up this thread.

Considering the smallish living/dining area for the newer developments, have you seen or would you recommend anyone placing dining table (outdoor weather resistant types) in the balcony area?

buttercarp
09-10-12, 14:59
Bump up this thread.

Considering the smallish living/dining area for the newer developments, have you seen or would you recommend anyone placing dining table (outdoor weather resistant types) in the balcony area?

If rainy season, then where you gonna eat :p ?

If you are considering the light weight foldable ones, then make sure that your place is not windy.

If you want the heavy ones, then the balcony should be big.
A few of my neighbours bought foldable umbrellas for their roof terrace but due to strong winds at my place, it is not feasible.

Tripp
09-10-12, 15:08
Balcony is about 5m x 2m (that's about 10 sqm of "wasted" space).

I'm trying not to fall foul of MCST rules on the balcony screen fittings, but would possibly try to get those portable foldable partitions/screens to shield from the elements, should I place a dining table at the balcony.

But you may be right, it may not be practical. Back to the drawing board...

Tripp
09-10-12, 15:16
http://www.fareast.com.sg/en/Residential/For-Sale/Properties-By-Name/Floridian/Layout/Facilities/Galleryframe/~/media/Images/FEO/Floridian/Images/FloridianRelaxPool.ashx

Are we able to build a balcony screen, which looks like something above?

Obviously, to abide by MCST rules, we would probably need to build it within the balcony compound, and probably can't affix/mount it permanently (eg. maybe a custom-made portable/foldable/sliding half-height balcony screen with louvres for privacy purposes).

DC33_2008
09-10-12, 16:09
It is alright if everybody does it just like the said project. But not yourself as it will affect the outlook of the development that is not allowed.
http://www.fareast.com.sg/en/Residential/For-Sale/Properties-By-Name/Floridian/Layout/Facilities/Galleryframe/~/media/Images/FEO/Floridian/Images/FloridianRelaxPool.ashx

Are we able to build a balcony screen, which looks like something above?

Obviously, to abide by MCST rules, we would probably need to build it within the balcony compound, and probably can't affix/mount it permanently (eg. maybe a custom-made portable/foldable/sliding half-height balcony screen with louvres for privacy purposes).

buttercarp
09-10-12, 16:50
I remembered Archipelago showflat got dinning table in balcony.

DC33_2008
09-10-12, 16:55
Your neighbour will know what you having for dinner by the smell.:)
I remembered Archipelago showflat got dinning table in balcony.

Kanarazu
09-10-12, 17:09
In the near future I would like to explore use of solar panels to power ventilation fans in the house. A balcony would be a nice place to install the solar panels.

Tripp
09-10-12, 17:20
In the near future I would like to explore use of solar panels to power ventilation fans in the house. A balcony would be a nice place to install the solar panels.

Will this "affect the outlook of the development"?

Actually, does the Resident Handbook explicitly specify the above sentence?

Assuming you adhere to the balcony fittings guidelines.

Kanarazu
09-10-12, 17:38
Will this "affect the outlook of the development"?

Actually, does the Resident Handbook explicitly specify the above sentence?

Assuming you adhere to the balcony fittings guidelines.

I was thinking of just placing them on the floor tilted at an angle. That should be fine I thought.

carbuncle
09-10-12, 19:04
your opp neighbour may not be too pleased with the sharp piercing glare of the reflection, if any

lot286
23-06-13, 21:06
Hi. i have read everything here. Any luck with Forummners doing balcony glazing (frameless windows), extending their living room -> balcony with no problems from management...and if so, what companies have you guys used for the best price/product...?
please share
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: