PDA

View Full Version : What's important to you in choosing the location of a landed house?

bricksnmortar
09-07-11, 23:00
Hey guys,

I know there are desirable characteristics to each of the major landed housing estates. And its peculiar that those who have grown up in say, the east, will always want to buy back in the east.

So what do you look for when deciding on the location of the landed property you are going to buy? As for me, i like the Bukit Timah area. And considering that i'm able to afford up to a semi-D in the current market, the following location characteristics would be ideal for me:

1. Not too far from main road
2. Still quiet and peaceful
3. Within 1-2km of a good school
4. Lanes outside my house where i can park/ friends can park without getting fined.
5. If buying semi-D, then buy in strictly semi-D estate and not mixed landed estate
6. As close to Newton/ Orchard side as possible

What would you guys value for the estate you're looking at?

chho
11-07-11, 02:43
I agree with you on points 1-5 but why Newton? When we talk about location, are we not referring to work and play? Perhaps proximity to Marina bay/Raffles Place and Orchard Road constitutes good location?

Hey guys,

I know there are desirable characteristics to each of the major landed housing estates. And its peculiar that those who have grown up in say, the east, will always want to buy back in the east.

So what do you look for when deciding on the location of the landed property you are going to buy? As for me, i like the Bukit Timah area. And considering that i'm able to afford up to a semi-D in the current market, the following location characteristics would be ideal for me:

4. Lanes outside my house where i can park/ friends can park without getting fined.
5. If buying semi-D, then buy in strictly semi-D estate and not mixed landed estate

bricksnmortar
11-07-11, 09:28
O i just wanted to reference which side of Bukit Timah and so Newton came up. Agreed that Orchard is sufficient as a reference point. I like what another forummer said location depends on your point of view of where Singapore revolves around - Marina Bay/Raffles Place or Orchard Rd.

devilplate
11-07-11, 09:32
O i just wanted to reference which side of Bukit Timah and so Newton came up. Agreed that Orchard is sufficient as a reference point. I like what another forummer said location depends on your point of view of where Singapore revolves around - Marina Bay/Raffles Place or Orchard Rd.
U hf been posing lots of qn....u r looking to buy a landed for own stay now?

hopeful
11-07-11, 09:42
Hey guys,

1st thing i look at is budget.

bricksnmortar
11-07-11, 09:52
U hf been posing lots of qn....u r looking to buy a landed for own stay now?

Yes devilplate, I am actually. And i note you are one of the seniors here on this forum.... enjoyed reading your posts :)

I am looking for a semi-D. Want to buy old, tear down and rebuild. I prefer Bukit Timah so far, but am curious why so many of my friends like Goodman/ Crescent Rd/ Frankel estates too.

Your thoughts? Haven't committed to anything yet...

devilplate
11-07-11, 09:57
Yes devilplate, I am actually. And i note you are one of the seniors here on this forum.... enjoyed reading your posts :)

I am looking for a semi-D. Want to buy old, tear down and rebuild. I prefer Bukit Timah so far, but am curious why so many of my friends like Goodman/ Crescent Rd/ Frankel estates too.

i missed landed boat.....shall not enter this cycle liao

i m open to anywhr ....coz i look at landed purely for investment....as long make gd returns can oredi:D

Duku
11-07-11, 11:13

I think it really depends on personal preference when it comes to location.

I lived in D 15 , but I do enjoy my 'excursion's up to Bukit Timah. Was over there for the weekend. The quaint little shops along Bukit Timah Rd are attractive and fun to discover, but somehow I still prefer the lure of the East.
To me , bukit Timah is more 'green' and more open than D 15 , but there is something about the smell of the sea in the east that appeals to me :)

Love the ride home from Raffles place. like the fate I can see a bit of the sea and the 10 min drive back home.

:2cents:

DC33_2008
11-07-11, 11:19
Good to get houses near school and in particular good ones but not along the road leading into such schools. . You will have jams and traffic pollution during the peak hour. You even have difficulty driving in and out of your house. This happens everywhere in Singapore, bukit timah, central, etc.

bricksnmortar
11-07-11, 11:23
Yup, agreed. Hillcrest road is a nightmare. So you should go for a few lanes on either side of that.

As for the east, yes, that's what my friends like too :) I like greenery so i guess that's why i prefer Bukit Timah.

chho
11-07-11, 11:59
If the budget allows, the university/kheam hock area is one of the best location for landed. 10 min drive to orchard road (play) and 15 min to raffles place (work). Traffic is manageable as you can use the newly completed Farrer road or smaller roads like cluny road and it's so accessible to everywhere.

You can always do "excursions" to the east on the weekends.:)

I think it really depends on personal preference when it comes to location.

I lived in D 15 , but I do enjoy my 'excursion's up to Bukit Timah. Was over there for the weekend. The quaint little shops along Bukit Timah Rd are attractive and fun to discover, but somehow I still prefer the lure of the East.
To me , bukit Timah is more 'green' and more open than D 15 , but there is something about the smell of the sea in the east that appeals to me :)

Love the ride home from Raffles place. like the fate I can see a bit of the sea and the 10 min drive back home.

:2cents:

devilplate
11-07-11, 12:04
If the budget allows, the university/kheam hock area is one of the best location for landed. 10 min drive to orchard road (play) and 15 min to raffles place (work). Traffic is manageable as you can use the newly completed Farrer road or smaller roads like cluny road and it's so accessible to everywhere.

nothing beats nassim address if u r super duper richie rich

bricksnmortar
11-07-11, 12:26
Haha i like that "excursions to the east on the weekends" !!! That's what i would do. Love to go out driving for good food. And that can be anywhere on the island, not just the east :)

howgozit
14-07-11, 19:35
Hey guys,

I like elevated ground for landed.

DC33_2008
14-07-11, 21:11
You should go for those units near Emeritus SM home.
I like elevated ground for landed.

howgozit
14-07-11, 21:44
You should go for those units near Emeritus SM home.

Haha... Namly? If I do that, I have to sell everything and beg, borrow, steal to the hilt and work the rest of my life to pay off the debt. Not my cup of tea.

Anyway very odd calling somebody Emeritus... sounds like a hotel or something. Cheers!