PDA

View Full Version : PAP elite and PAP grassroot definition

Regulators
07-08-11, 11:14
http://singstatistician.blogspot.com/2011/07/dr-tony-tan-vs-dr-tan-cheng-bock-battle.html

land118
07-08-11, 11:35
http://singstatistician.blogspot.com/2011/07/dr-tony-tan-vs-dr-tan-cheng-bock-battle.html

Many politicians here are well "connected", we should have a policy for anyone in parliament to declare any relatives/blood connections...., but guess this won't happen with this Government.

As for the coming Presidential Election, I wonder how many of the 6 hopefuls will be granted the certificate of eligibility by the three-member Presidential Elections Committee (PEC).

The six are: former Deputy Prime Minister Dr Tony Tan, former MP Dr Tan Cheng Bock, former Chief Executive Officer of NTUC Income Mr Tan Kin Lian, former civil servant and opposition candidate in the recent general election, Mr Tan Jee Say, second-time hopeful and former Chief Financial Officer of JTC, Mr Andrew Kuan and private tutor, Mr Ooi Boon Ewe, who failed to submit his nomination papers as an independent candidate on time in the recent general election.

Personally, I won't be surprise if the PEC only grant approval for 3 candidates..., they may rule out Mr Ooi, Mr Andrew Kuan and Mr Tan Jee Say...
:2cents:

Regulators
07-08-11, 15:19
I wonder if pec would be transparent about their selection process.

DC33_2008
07-08-11, 15:19
Just saw the clip of Tony Tan shaking the hand of the fishmonger in the market on Channel 8. Not a friendly shake!:tsk-tsk:

Regulators
07-08-11, 15:28
One more thing, the ministerial salary review committee how come no news huh? This kind of thing need to take so long to review meh? Hdb sellers stamp duty affecting thousands of people takes only one day to pass, ministerial salaries need to take so long meh?

kingkong1984
07-08-11, 15:47
One more thing, the ministerial salary review committee how come no news huh? This kind of thing need to take so long to review meh? Hdb sellers stamp duty affecting thousands of people takes only one day to pass, ministerial salaries need to take so long meh?

Hahaha... Wait for results mah....

Hot favorite little change, freak results freak cut.... For that one person. The rest expect a quarter cut at least? 50 percent is just about right.

Arcachon
07-08-11, 18:28
Just saw the clip of Tony Tan shaking the hand of the fishmonger in the market on Channel 8. Not a friendly shake!:tsk-tsk:

Singapore need a president who know how to shake hand ??. Is this the kind of voter going to the poll:doh:

Allthepies
07-08-11, 23:49
Singapore need a president who know how to shake hand ??. Is this the kind of voter going to the poll:doh:

Yup, u may be surprised but quite a group of sing voters vote based on superficial attributes of the candidates :doh:

land118
08-08-11, 06:49
Ya, kinda of disappointed with his handshake ( must check the link below, show a clear clip on his handshake )

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08/05/tony-tan-lampooned-by-netizens-for-dead-fish-handshake-with-fishmonger/

Tony Tan lampooned by netizens for ‘Dead Fish’ handshake with fishmonger

PAP-endorsed presidential hopeful Tony Tan has been lampooned by netizens for his ‘Dead Fish’ handshake with a fishmonger in the market.

Channel 8 showed a clip of Tony Tan hesitantly reaching out to shake the hands of a fishmonger with his thumb facing up which is commonly known as the ‘Dead Fish’ handshake two days ago which was captured by netizens.

The handshake is described as “ideal for when you really dislike the person you’re shaking hands with, you don’t care to know them, or when you’re feeling lazy and inattentive.”

To show that this is not the usual handshake of Tony Tan, TR Facebook uploaded 4 other photos of Tony Tan shaking hands with other people using the ‘Power Shake’ which is described as “ideal for business meetings, interviews, or whenever you want to make a solid first impression with a solid person.”

[Source: TR Facebook]

Noel Ong was disgusted by Tony Tan’s gesture:

“A clear indication of status standings. to people he thinks to be of equal standing, or someone whom he is working closely with, the handshake is equal. to someone he looks down on, or does not approve, he shakes above and thumbs down. the open palm means “i dun wanna shake hands with you, but i’ll just let you hold my hand.”

Kua A K added:

“Besides thumb up, he actually not clinching his fingers as well. His fingers somehow bended/stretched outwards to minimize the physical contact…”

Pamela Kea has made up her mind who to vote for after watching Tony Tan’s handshake:

“If Tony Tan is out getting votes, it is equivalent to going for interview and trying to land this job. I will not give the job to some one with a bad handshake! Tells a lot about a person’s sincerity and character.”

In his recent speech, Tony Tan kept stressing on his knowledge and experience in handling financial matters. There is not a single word muttered about Singaporeans at all as if they matter nothing to him.

Singaporeans should seriously consider whether they want another ‘Nathan’ to be their ‘inactive’ President because of ‘limits of the office’ in the next five years.

land118
08-08-11, 07:05
Personally think that the Tan Clan doesn't represent all the Tan in Singapore and they shouldn't get involved in politics especially when there are other Tan candidates as well..., gone are the days of the clan and people do not vote on whether u bear the same surname.....

Google the web, reported that the Tan is the most common surname among the Chinese and there are 237k people and respreseng 9.5% of population:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_Chinese_surnames_in_Singapore

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1145603/1/.html

PE: Federation of Tan Clan Associations endorses Dr Tony Tan's presidential bid
By Sazali B Adam, Dylan Loh | Posted: 07 August 2011 1844 hrs

SINGAPORE: The Federation of Tan Clan Associations in Singapore, which has over 10,000 members, has endorsed Dr Tony Tan's bid to be the Republic's next President.

Dr Tan has been the clan's Honorary Advisor since 2006.

Dr Tan met the Federation's members on Sunday afternoon and he spoke on the importance of clan associations, saying they can play a big part in bonding society during tough times.

Dr Tan said the associations provided resilience and unity to get through crises.

He was also asked to respond to comments made on the Elected President's role by Law and Foreign Affairs Minister K Shanmugam and others at a recent forum.

Dr Tan said: "I would prefer to think about the points which they have made because I think that these are serious considerations which anybody who wants or who aspires to the position of President would have to give very serious thought to. So rather than give a quick reaction, which I think will be premature, I will like to take my time to think about the points which have been made."

CNA

irisng
08-08-11, 20:30
[quote=land118]Ya, kinda of disappointed with his handshake ( must check the link below, show a clear clip on his handshake )

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08/05/tony-tan-lampooned-by-netizens-for-dead-fish-handshake-with-fishmonger/

Ya, very disappointed. Never come across this method of shaking hand, don't even bother to "clinch" his hand. Even newly met friend also don't shake in this manner, the very most is they never hold tight to your hand.

land118
08-08-11, 21:13
[quote=land118]Ya, kinda of disappointed with his handshake ( must check the link below, show a clear clip on his handshake )

Ya, very disappointed. Never come across this method of shaking hand, don't even bother to "clinch" his hand. Even newly met friend also don't shake in this manner, the very most is they never hold tight to your hand.
This is going to be a sore talking point in the presidential campaigning...., how to be sincere to the common people if you can't open yourself fully and embrace all people from all walks of life in Singapore...surely the poor and those engaging in demeaning/less glamorous jobs deserve a warm handshake....

irisng
09-08-11, 19:31
I wonder how those old people like "Ah Gong & Ah Ma" know who to select? Maybe they will select the person whom they know.:beats-me-man:

land118
09-08-11, 19:41
I wonder how those old people like "Ah Gong & Ah Ma" know who to select? Maybe they will select the person whom they know.:beats-me-man:
Now tis election have photo of candidates; of all those submit forms, I think the very old ones mayb can only recognize TT & TCB...:eek:

Last time no photos, tink they tikam tikam lo....

irisng
09-08-11, 19:44
[quote=irisng]
This is going to be a sore talking point in the presidential campaigning...., how to be sincere to the common people if you can't open yourself fully and embrace all people from all walks of life in Singapore...surely the poor and those engaging in demeaning/less glamorous jobs deserve a warm handshake....

Maybe his hand is too tired after going round shaking with so many people that he can't even close his figures.:scared-3:

IMHO, shaking hand is actually also a kind of education. From the way you shake hand with people can tell your sincerity. Holding people's hand tight means you are a warm people and if you just touch people's hand without holding it tight means that whether that person shake hand with you or not is immaterial, you are just doing a "show" or out of courtesy only.:ashamed1:

land118
09-08-11, 20:54
[quote=land118]

holding it tight means that whether that person shake hand with you or not is immaterial, you are just doing a "show" or out of courtesy only.:ashamed1:

NDP over, President Nathan swan song, now time for Presidential Election(PE ) Let's see if any more talk from our Law Minister.....GE, MM talk, PAP lose Aljunied..., now PE, if some more talk/threats..., maybe same thing will happen when voters get pissed off....:D

land118
09-08-11, 20:58
http://www.tanchengbock.org/

Dr Tan Cheng Bock’s response to Minister Shanmugam’s comments on presidential candidates

It is important that the President works within the boundaries laid out in the Constitution. The Presidency must not be a centre of power. This is to avoid confrontation. The office of the people’s elected President must work with the government in a proper and correct manner in the interest of Singapore. This is important or both offices will always be in a state of tension and the country suffers. This is the stage that should be set for the future relationship of the two offices especially in the light of the current world economic climate.

The Minister of Law said that whether the PM listens to the President’s advice depends on the ‘quality of the advice’ and the ‘quality of the person’,whether the President is ‘wise,knowledgeable and experienced’. The President would have been deemed to have the necessary qualities by virtue of his being issued the Certificate of Eligibility. This is further endorsed by the people of Singapore who have voted for him. Is the Minister questioning the decision of the Presidential Elections Committee and the choice of the voters?

The Minister of Law has set the stage of confrontation between the President and the PM when he speaks of the different level of respect the PM will give depending on who the elected President. Is he saying the choice of the voters of Singapore matters little? This is a very judgmental approach to the office of a Presidency elected by all Singaporeans. It amounts to “I will hear you if I respect you and if I like you”. I hope this view is not shared by the PM.

This is not good for Singapore. It is starting on the wrong footing for the elected candidate as he will be watching how the PM is going to relate to him. This is very serious as it creates a high level of suspicion between the two. It has become personal and reflects poorly on the two institutions. If the attitude is of this nature there is bound to have confrontation not from the President but from non co-operation by the government in power. Is this what we want?

Singaporeans want harmony and fair play. THERE MUST BE MUTUAL RESPECT for the government of the day and the Presidency as both are elected by Singaporeans.

land118
09-08-11, 21:26
Some views....since PE is coming.., on the quest of the late President Ong Teng Cheong for an account or details of the Singapore reserves

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/06/20/the-sophistry-of-law-minister-k-shanmugam/

land118
09-08-11, 21:28
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1145973/1/.html

President hopeful Tan Kin Lian visits Hougang on National Day
By Evelyn Choo | Posted: 09 August 2011 1608 hrs
Photos 1*of 1

Potential presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian (R, in red) drops by Lorong Ah Soo market in Hougang on National Day.
SINGAPORE: Potential presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian was up and about on Tuesday, greeting residents in the spirit of National Day.

Stallholders at the Lorong Ah Soo market in Hougang were surprised to see the former NTUC Income chief decked in red.

Those having their breakfast also got to greet Mr Tan, who said this will be a regular affair once the campaigning period starts.

The Presidential Elections Committee has until August 16, the eve of Nomination Day, to announce its decision on who gets the Certificate of Eligibility.

Tan Kin Lian, a potential president candidate, said: "They know me from my 30 years in NTUC Income. They also know me from reading the newspaper, so I'm very happy to get their very warm response."

- CNA/ck

land118
09-08-11, 21:32
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/tan-cheng-bock-croons-count-singapore-164851572.html

With National Day just a few days away, Presidential hopeful Dr Tan Cheng Bock has decided to celebrate Singapore's birthday in a special way -- singing "Count on me, Singapore" in a YouTube video.
Posted on his Facebook page, Dr Tan is seen with a young man singing the 1986 National Day song while playing a ukulele.

land118
10-08-11, 12:52
http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread.php?t=41776

Dr Tan Cheng Bock's UNHAPPY and UNFAIR NS experience

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFJD2i9ksUs&feature=related

Over the past two weeks, there has been mounting evidence emerging that Dr Tony Tan’s son received “special” treatment during National Service (NS).

Dr Tan Cheng Bock has come forward to reveal his own unhappy and unfair NS experience in the following Youtube.

My reaction after watching the Youtube was one of shock and humility. The shock part was because SAF’s treatment of Dr Tan Cheng Bock was COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY UNFAIR. Some key points from his Youtube:

Dr Tan Cheng Bock was part of a group of 12 doctors who were selected for NS.
At the time of enlistment, he was significantly past the normal age of enlistment.
SAF refused to reveal how Dr Tan Cheng Bock and the other doctors were selected.
The others in his cohort who were not enlisted were allowed to proceed with their careers and studies without any encumbrance
Dr Tan Cheng Bock was given the option to end his enlistment. He was however threatened that he would be BLACKLISTED if he exercised the option.
Dr Tan Cheng Bock exercised his option and was BLACKLISTED from joining the Singapore Government as a doctor.The humility part was because Dr Tan Cheng Bock's COURAGE. Dr Tan Cheng Bock could have played the “safe” game and kept silent. Instead he chose to speak up in light of the growing debate over Dr Patrick Tan’s “special” 12 year disruption.

In making this Youtube, Dr Tan Cheng Bock is indicating clearly that he will not shy away from discussing such “sensitive” topics during the Presidential campaign. It is courage in the purest form that Dr Tan Cheng Bock is prepared to speak before his COE to run has been issued.

In a short posting after putting up the Youtube on his Facebook, Dr Tan Cheng Bock wrote

The President must have strength of conviction to be able to tell that something is wrong,without fear or favour.

This is incredibly well said. Dr Tan Cheng Bock is truly PAP from the old days when being PAP meant standing tall and walking proud. This is unlike the PAP of today.

After Note
The Youtube of Dr Tan Cheng Bock's NS experience was apparently posted sometime back. It was however reposted yesterday in his FB yesterday along with the comment on how the President must have the strength of conviction to tell that something is wrong without fear or favour.

land118
11-08-11, 06:52
http://www.asiaone.com/News/Elections/Story/A1Story20110810-293790.html

'Candidates should run for existing office, not the one they wish for'

AsiaOne
Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011
The Presidential Election is not the correct forum for people to discuss what new roles the President should play, presidential*hopeful Dr Tony Tan said today.

"Candidates should run for the office that exists, not they one they wish to have," Dr Tan said in a blog entry posted on his campaign website today.

Dr Tan also said that the President "is not, and should not be" a separate power centre. However, he "can have influence".

He also said that the President can, and should, address the concerns of Singaporeans and take them into account when exercising his or her powers.

"These concerns can also be raised formally or informally through appropriate channels.

"The choice of channels to pursue depends on the individual situation," he said.

Dr Tan also said that the President should know Singaporeans well and reflect their concerns effectively in both national and international affairs.

"One can, of course, imagine very different roles for the President," he said.

However, this would require a constitutional amendment which the Presidential Election should not be used as an avenue*for, he added.

land118
11-08-11, 21:25
PE: 4 get Certificates of Eligibility for presidential polls
Updated: 11 Aug 2011 1639 hrs
The Presidential Elections Committee received six applications but issued only four Certificates of Eligibility to Mr Tan Kin Lian, Dr Tony Tan, Dr Tan Cheng Bock and Mr Tan Jee Say.