PDA

View Full Version : All the Kachang Puteh things about condos: a relax discussion thread...

ikan bilis
13-08-11, 23:33
You guys are making the atmosphere here too tense liow.. too much arguing like OCR Vs CCR, Property Price Cheong Vs Crash…. :luke-and-darth:

Can have some simpler tkss things here ?….
Let me start something here… :cheers5:

a. MM with 2bedrooms?
Do you prefer a ~500ft MM to be 1bdr or 2bdr? Say, if developer selling you 2 types of MM units, both exactly the same except one got the bedroom divided into 2 rooms, which one will you buy?
=> I prefer it to be 2bdr (very small bedrooms like in HK). And as least I can knock the 2bdrm into 1 if I want to, and URA/BCA will not come after me. Why can't the developer try market something like that?

b. Utilizing the junk space
For those space not covered under plot ratio (bay windows, Balcony, aircon ledge), Developers should be more creative in making those junk space more useful, like
- Bay windows: May be should position it at the dinning room? I can use it as sitting bench during dinner, and it comes with nice view.
- AirCon ledge: Can hang+dry clothings above the aircon? I think saw some doing it at The Warren?
=> Developers please don't just want to make $$ from us out of thin air... :simmering:

c. Third Toilet?
Is third toilet necessary? I keep forgetting I have that extra toilet.

:D ;)

iwantgizmos
14-08-11, 01:01
You guys are making the atmosphere here too tense liow.. too much arguing like OCR Vs CCR, Property Price Cheong Vs Crash…. :luke-and-darth:

Can have some simpler tkss things here ?….
Let me start something here… :cheers5:

a. MM with 2bedrooms?
Do you prefer a ~500ft MM to be 1bdr or 2bdr? Say, if developer selling you 2 types of MM units, both exactly the same except one got the bedroom divided into 2 rooms, which one will you buy?
=> I prefer it to be 2bdr (very small bedrooms like in HK). And as least I can knock the 2bdrm into 1 if I want to, and URA/BCA will not come after me. Why can't the developer try market something like that?

b. Utilizing the junk space
For those space not covered under plot ratio (bay windows, Balcony, aircon ledge), Developers should be more creative in making those junk space more useful, like
- Bay windows: May be should position it at the dinning room? I can use it as sitting bench during dinner, and it comes with nice view.
- AirCon ledge: Can hang+dry clothings above the aircon? I think saw some doing it at The Warren?
=> Developers please don't just want to make $$ from us out of thin air... :simmering:

c. Third Toilet?
Is third toilet necessary? I keep forgetting I have that extra toilet.

:D ;)
yah.. my third toilet now serves more like my store-room...
it's not being utilised fully it seems...

kingkong1984
14-08-11, 07:24
U can ask ikea to design or copy their design, china con to build, far east to sell and huttons to market.

Hahaha....

ysyap
14-08-11, 08:19
a. Both also don't prefer coz it cannot fit my family. But if no choice have to choose, I'll take the 2 bedders over 500sq ft :scared-4: .

b. You are so hopeful and naive. Developers are never known to be so kind. They will squeeze you dry! I think the kind ones are known as charity organisations! :D

c. Third toilet is absolutely necessary if your family has 3 or more people. If just 2, no way you will need the 3rd one regularly. Also, 3rd toilet can be your help's toilet so no chance she will secretly use your shampoo, bath foam, etc w/o permission! :p

DC33_2008
14-08-11, 10:24
a. It is already so small. It will be better to be a white design as i have a choice to place my glass partition wherever I want to create 1-2 bedrooms later. Glass partition with a blind behind is good enough for privacy just like Clift.

b. This will never be realised with the developers.

c. Remember there is charged for the toilet every month in your bill.

gav108
14-08-11, 10:58
How about this question: Which do you prefer - bay windows, balcony or planter? If u have to choose one of them?

Assuming there's at least a pool view, and the unit is at least 700 sq ft.

some quick thoughts:

bay windows: at least it's indoors - gd in S'pore's weather. can be converted to seats or tables, but making it any more functional like cupboards will block the windows.

balcony: functional - can use as outdoor dining, dry clothes, grow plants, taiji etc. outdoor space that some may rather have as indoor space.

planter: like balcony, but usually smaller. less outdoor space that some may deem a waste, but also less functional - just a narrow strip mostly - definitely cannot put table n chairs; taiji will be precarious :D

evergreen
14-08-11, 11:00
a. MM with 2 bedrooms is ok - really depends on the occupants, e.g. if the occupant of the smaller room is a child or is seldom at home and just needs a bed to sleep in. But have to see the layout. Some layouts are dumb: the toilet is through the master bedroom - how to share bathroom (See pg 12 H residences type F (http://investproperty.sg/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/floor-plans.pdf)) And have to close the bedroom door to get into the bathroom :doh:

b. For e.g. urban residences expects occupant to use the bomb shelter as walk-in wardrobe (see urban residences floor plans (http://pxv0.propnex.com/ProjectDetail.aspx?id=22238) e.g. 02-04-A) but they don't build any wardrobe or shelves for you :( . Cut cost! Isn't it unsightly to dry clothes on the aircon!

c. My dad will turn the unused toilet into a walk-in aviary :D

d. I want to add that I hate mass market condo. Why pay more to endure the same noise, people throwing rubbish in the lift, people using clothes as curtains, people "chope-ing" corridor space, fat shirtless guys living on ground floor units leaving their windows wide open, people letting their dogs swim in the swimming pool :confused:

irisng
14-08-11, 11:39
a. MM with 2 bedrooms is ok - really depends on the occupants, e.g. if the occupant of the smaller room is a child or is seldom at home and just needs a bed to sleep in. But have to see the layout. Some layouts are dumb: the toilet is through the master bedroom - how to share bathroom (See pg 12 H residences type F (http://investproperty.sg/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/floor-plans.pdf)) And have to close the bedroom door to get into the bathroom :doh:

b. For e.g. urban residences expects occupant to use the bomb shelter as walk-in wardrobe (see urban residences floor plans (http://pxv0.propnex.com/ProjectDetail.aspx?id=22238) e.g. 02-04-A) but they don't build any wardrobe or shelves for you :( . Cut cost! Isn't it unsightly to dry clothes on the aircon!

d. I want to add that I hate mass market condo. Why pay more to endure the same noise, people throwing rubbish in the lift, people using clothes as curtains, people "chope-ing" corridor space, fat shirtless guys living on ground floor units leaving their windows wide open, people letting their dogs swim in the swimming pool :confused:

Did you ever stay in the mass market condo before?

Is EC considered as mass market condo?

I think it all depends on your management, how are they going to "educate" those residents. I remember when I first shifted into my EC, I came across residents throwing cigarretts bulbs, sweets, papers, bread, dried maggie mee and even children pillow down from their units. Some of those rubbish even landed at my open window. Lots of complain from those people who are staying on the ground floor because "they" landed on their balcony (only ground floor has balcony). Dripping water from washed clothing / mop. Dog barking from morning to night, don't know where the owner was? But now no such nuisance anymore but occassionally hear noises from children playing at the swimming pool and this is very common. We have a security guard station near the swimming pool to watch the safety of the residents especially children, they can forget about the danger when playing. Now we have changed the parking system, using "IU" to enter the residential carpark, to avoid any unauthorise vehicles.;)

I have never come across dog swimming in the swimming pool before and we are not allowed to hang clothing on our windows. Parking on illegal parking lots will be tow away. :D

evergreen
14-08-11, 13:05
No, I have not stayed in mass market condo before but my sister has.

EC is also mass market condo but there are other non-EC ones that are also mass market.

Ya, really depends on the management. If they do nothing, you'll have to suffer. Worst would be karaoke!

I really wonder about the security too. The security guard lets people walk in and out without registering. When I visit friends, I walk in as though I'm a resident and nobody stops me. :scared-4:

Even some non-mass market type, the management allows residents to hang their clothes such that their whole living room window from end to end is covered. But all children's clothes. Maybe really no place to hang. People understand so they didn't complain to management.

ysyap
14-08-11, 13:20

You think Urban Residence is :doh: , you haven't seen the vue. Also use BS as wardrobe plus the floor area is much smaller than Urban Residence!

Those 'appalling behaviors' you observe or experience in condos are mainly adopted by HDB upgraders. Give them some time to accustomize themselves to condo living! :D Management will have to take that job of educating them lor. Anyway, no guarantee that smaller development will be freed of such behaviors! Its the people who stays there that determines what kind of living experience you will get, not the type of condos! :o

evergreen
14-08-11, 14:59
You think Urban Residence is :doh: , you haven't seen the vue. Also use BS as wardrobe plus the floor area is much smaller than Urban Residence!

Those 'appalling behaviors' you observe or experience in condos are mainly adopted by HDB upgraders. Give them some time to accustomize themselves to condo living! :D Management will have to take that job of educating them lor. Anyway, no guarantee that smaller development will be freed of such behaviors! Its the people who stays there that determines what kind of living experience you will get, not the type of condos! :o

The Vue. What a name!

Just released that bomb shelter is BS :D Indeed, it is!

Certain types of flowers attract certain types of bees :p

zzz1
15-08-11, 16:36
One of my unit condo' security guard super on. Those maid seating near the pool Edge and giving the childern things to eat or children diving into pool surely kana from him and he definitely look like the character in jack Neo movies' muthu the security guard.

Once I was seating at the club Hse. Waiting for a contractor to quote a repair job, he approach me checking if I am visitor. I told him that I the Owner and praise him for dong his job. Basket, though that 'or lor' him then can remember me. Now when see me still ask if Iam a visitor .

ysyap
15-08-11, 16:41
One of my unit condo' security guard super on. Those maid seating near the pool Edge and giving the childern things to eat or children diving into pool surely kana from him and he definitely look like the character in jack Neo movies' muthu the security guard.

Once I was seating at the club Hse. Waiting for a contractor to quote a repair job, he approach me checking if I am visitor. I told him that I the Owner and praise him for dong his job. Basket, though that 'or lor' him then can remember me. Now when see me still ask if Iam a visitor .Well you said he looked like the muthu in the movie so he probably has that same memory lor!:D Or he super onz so must always confirm just in case he remembered wrongly! :p

radha08
18-08-11, 19:19

Once I was seating at the club Hse. Waiting for a contractor to quote a repair job, he approach me checking if I am visitor. I told him that I the Owner and praise him for dong his job. Basket, though that 'or lor' him then can remember me. Now when see me still ask if Iam a visitor .

that guard one in a billion......

zzz1
18-08-11, 20:44
Well you said he looked like the muthu in the movie so he probably has that same memory lor!:D Or he super onz so must always confirm just in case he remembered wrongly! :p
I think he has a short memory . Lol

zzz1
18-08-11, 20:48
that guard one in a billion......

Yap , uniquely one

radha08
19-08-11, 04:20
a. Both also don't prefer coz it cannot fit my family. But if no choice have to choose, I'll take the 2 bedders over 500sq ft :scared-4: .

b. You are so hopeful and naive. Developers are never known to be so kind. They will squeeze you dry! I think the kind ones are known as charity organisations! :D

c. Third toilet is absolutely necessary if your family has 3 or more people. If just 2, no way you will need the 3rd one regularly. Also, 3rd toilet can be your help's toilet so no chance she will secretly use your shampoo, bath foam, etc w/o permission! :p

my unit got 4 toilets.....:scared-1: ....even my dog can carry leg in peace....:D :D

land118
19-08-11, 06:49
my unit got 4 toilets.....:scared-1: ....even my dog can carry leg in peace....:D :D
Wow, 4 toilets for condo unit, unless yours is big unit like 4 bedder, probably >1500sqft....

chiaberry
19-08-11, 07:22
I have never come across dog swimming in the swimming pool before and we are not allowed to hang clothing on our windows. Parking on illegal parking lots will be tow away. :D

I agree that a condo's management and security enforcement are very impt. For my condo, we employ a stable team of security guards who know everyone and immediately pounce on any stranger. When we first moved in, they stopped my partner at the security gate even though he had a resident's pass because they did not recognise his car number plate.

My contractor had a hard time with the renovations. The management turn up every day without fail at 9am to check that he had no illegal workers or more than one machine in the unit and again at 5pm to check that they stop work and clean up the premises. I also get feedback on my contractor from the security guard.

We have no ground floor units and all balconies are enclosed so there's no shirtless uncles to spoil the view. :tongue3:

3rd toilet is for the maid or the dog. Unless you have neither, then you can remove the WC and make other use of it.

buttercarp
19-08-11, 07:49
Wow, 4 toilets for condo unit, unless yours is big unit like 4 bedder, probably >1500sqft....

My condo got 5 toilets:hornybastard: :hornybastard:
Every month PUB bill must pay for 5 toilets.
I use 3 only, 2 convert to store.

irisng
21-08-11, 13:47
I agree that a condo's management and security enforcement are very impt. For my condo, we employ a stable team of security guards who know everyone and immediately pounce on any stranger. When we first moved in, they stopped my partner at the security gate even though he had a resident's pass because they did not recognise his car number plate.

My contractor had a hard time with the renovations. The management turn up every day without fail at 9am to check that he had no illegal workers or more than one machine in the unit and again at 5pm to check that they stop work and clean up the premises. I also get feedback on my contractor from the security guard.

We have no ground floor units and all balconies are enclosed so there's no shirtless uncles to spoil the view. :tongue3:

3rd toilet is for the maid or the dog. Unless you have neither, then you can remove the WC and make other use of it.

Wow, your security guard is very "on". :cheers1:

Tight security is good and safe for the residents but sometimes cause a bit of inconvenience for the guests. I went to one of the condo, had to go through 2 or 3 stages before I could reach my friend's house and that was the only time I went there. :)

My condo unit has 3 toilets, one master, one common and one near the kitchen/yard/utilities room. As we have 4 people in the house, so we have fully utilised all the toilets. :D

ikan bilis
21-08-11, 15:19
things might be good for first time condo buyers to take note... before you :banghead: :simmering: :scared-4:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
=> All about Greedy Greedy Developers....

a) Junk Space
Developers throw you lots of junk space, space that you cannot utilize much. Those spaces normal do not take up their gross plot ratio (meaning no land cost).
- Bay Windows:: Not much use (only as TV Rack, washing sinks support and etc)
- Big AirCon Ledge:: Not much use
- Balcony:: ok, quite nice, better than planter or yard (and yard cost floor area)
- Planter:: may make you less frightened by height (when you have big wide sliding windows)... provided you keep plants there...
- Wooden Platform:: More storage space only, but too costly if sold as floor area
- Terrace/PES:: To some, these are still very nice features.

Example showing how floor area could be better utilized, 807ft 2bdr vs 829ft 3bdr:

807ft 2bedder (got bay windows everywhere)
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l529/ikan-bilis/coterie.gif

829ft 3bedder
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l529/ikan-bilis/belysa.gif

b) developers all very thick skinned
- very thick skin because lots of fat/profit under that skin
- when they bid land parcel that time, they always say something like land price $450psf very expensive, construction $350psf very expensive, so they expecting very little gross profit of $200psf selling at $1000psf and very high risk...
- when they launch it, it will like be $1200psf
- and $1200psf is before taking into consideration all the PES, Balcony, AirCon Ledge, Terrace and etc junk space without land price

c) WYSIWYG becomes WYSINWYG or WYSIWYNG
- "What you see is what you get" becomes "What you see is not what you get" or worse: "What you see is what you not get"
- Showrooms got no ceiling:: makes you think floor height is like changi airport terminals
- Showrooms got no door, Glass wall, no column:: makes you think is wider
- Showrooms not to dimension in plan:: You cannot bring measuring tape and measure their show room, right?
- Showrooms got super nice furniture:: Please add in another $1mil if you want your dream home to be like that showroom
- But hor... very soon all under URA/BCA control liow... they cannot do it anymore

d) poor fengshui
- Big Head Small Body buildings:: Some buildings’ structure having top part to be bigger size/wider, because those higher floors could fetch better $$. In fengshui, people do not like the top part of buildings to be bigger than bottom part. The building is not stable
- Saw in some MM:: Sleeping with your head resting on bay window, like sleeping on guillotine. example floor plan:
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l529/ikan-bilis/suite.gif

- Others:: all types of corners pointing at your main door, living room.

e) some ways of "price fixing" by developers
- First, create a limited units (50-100) soft launch, for VVVIP only. Those are with 5-10% discount or cash/renovation rebates
- Once price shown on URA caveat data and fixed. Launch the first batch of 200-300 units at URA recorded price and say loud-loud no price increase. Buyer LL got to buy.
- After the first batch, remaining batches can suka suka up price liow. Buyers kena squeezed until jialat jialat...

f) other...
- first year of TOP, developers are like controlling management committee. So must watch out if they use MCST funds for repairing the estate (some should be under warranty)
- should developers collapse, you might lost all what you had paid for that building still under construction.
- FH land parcel they can sell you as LH99 condos. For this 1; you will only have 1 and only 1 buyer when en-bloc in future

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Feel free to add on to the list... :D

But hor...
=> if you are the flushed-with-ca$h type and buying condos like shoes, then everything not an issue..
=> if you are spending your life saving, plus 30-40% income as monthly installment, then better check thoroughly before signing that dotted line..

...for fun only lah...:spliff:

howgozit
21-08-11, 15:35
Very true!:)

sh
21-08-11, 16:48
I got more compliants.....

Misrepresentation when with "artist impressions". Pool look damn big when it's a longkang. Or sea view when it is actually highway view etc....

Or how about models with 'phantom' blocks. Blocks removed to make site look spacious
:simmering:

ysyap
22-08-11, 07:58
I know of projects that sells 3 bedders at higher psf than 2 bedders simply because they are about the same floor area. :o

thomastansb
22-08-11, 10:24
I like that phrase - Ceiling like changi airport. Hahahaha.

Good article on the condo buying guide. All those planters + bay windows = 1 small bedroom. Add balcony in and you have a big master room.

chiaberry
22-08-11, 10:57
Add to this list the latest trend of PRIVATE LIFT LOBBY being included in the floor area and cannot be utilised properly for living space. eg. Thomson Grand.

kingkong1984
22-08-11, 13:46
Very good post by ikan bilis.

We have only one head and not two heads, so please wear only one hat.

When the hat has been fully paid, you can consider to buy another hat for your life partner.

When that hat has been fully paid, you can consider to buy another hat for your child.

One head, many hats... very wasteful. You only need 1 hat at any point in time. When u can own many hats, may sure you can keep them or u are better off doing without them as they can get out of fashion pretty easily.

Who needs so many pairs of shoes too when you can only wear one pair at any one time.

Hats and shoes advice for u... heheheh

ysyap
22-08-11, 13:59
Who needs so many pairs of shoes too when you can only wear one pair at any one time.
I once asked my wife why she needs so many pairs of shoe when I only have one pair for work and she replied:violent-shooting:. :cheers1:

kingkong1984
22-08-11, 14:04
I once asked my wife why she needs so many pairs of shoe when I only have one pair for work and she replied:violent-shooting:. :cheers1:

women are expansive creatures... that's why nobody wants to keep them when they are old if they have a choice.

Look beyond current world, do you live forever? why be in debt forever?

hopeful
22-08-11, 14:53
Add to this list the latest trend of PRIVATE LIFT LOBBY being included in the floor area and cannot be utilised properly for living space. eg. Thomson Grand.

sorry when was it a latest trend? private lift lobby and private lift itself has been part of floor area since like forever. Perhaps Teddybear would know better since he has been longtime investor in prime properties.

Montaigne
22-08-11, 14:57
Sorry to off topic. Teddybear reminds me of a song sung in Primary school, not sure if anyone of u heard of it. "Teddybear, teddybear, running here and running there, teddybear" :doh: :doh: :doh:

ysyap
22-08-11, 15:11
Sorry to off topic. Teddybear reminds me of a song sung in Primary school, not sure if anyone of u heard of it. "Teddybear, teddybear, running here and running there, teddybear" :doh: :doh: :doh:Maybe you were in the same pri school as teddybear therefore he chose this nick! :D Or is it his real name! :p

buttercarp
22-08-11, 15:31
women are expansive creatures... that's why nobody wants to keep them when they are old if they have a choice.

Sorry another English class again.
Is it expansive - as in can expand?
Or expensive?

I agree that women are expansive for the survival of mankind.
But I do not agree that all women are expensive.

ysyap
22-08-11, 15:37
Sorry another English class again.
Is it expansive - as in can expand?
Or expensive?

I agree that women are expansive for the survival of mankind.
But I do not agree that all women are expensive.LOL! This tread certainly must not degenerate into a man/woman discussion or debate! LOL!

Its public knowledge that up to 70% of the products sold in our market today are directly linked to woman! Anyway, men can be expensive too! LOL! One car cost $120k today as opposed to 120 LV bags or 1000 sessions of body massage/facial treatment, etc. LOL! No end to the debate lah! :spliff:

howgozit
22-08-11, 18:39

Expansive women are usually not very Expensive.

buttercarp
22-08-11, 18:50

Yup, expansive women can give birth normally hence are not that expensive.

Back to the topic about kachang puteh issues.....
Would you buy a property if the master bedroom was situated under the toilet of the room above?

kingkong1984
22-08-11, 19:45
Spelling error... ExpenSive.......

ikan bilis
22-08-11, 19:56
ok… throw one simple question here…

Let’s say, if you hit some windfall, or you have just inherited some cash of: total S$1.5mil !!... :scared-4:
What will you do with the cash? Would you use it to purchase another property again?

Keep in Cash?
- Too much paper money printing by worldwide government now, so this might not be a good choice for investment savvy people like you.

Keep in Stock or Gold?
- Too volatile, so this might not be a good choice for already real estate investors like you.

How about buying another condo?
- There will be, could be, or might be oversupply by 2013/4.
- But before that, meaning now until mid 2013, chances of price increase by another 10-20% is relatively high
- If there is some price correction/crash of 10-30% in 2013/4 then, you might lose 10-20% of your investment. But still: some paper loss only, you can easily afford that now.
- But what if: there is no correction or crash in 2013/4… you will be laughing to the banks !!…

(… By now you must have started to analyze all risks in USA/Europe recession, Sgp property supply in the pipeline, china property collapse, interest rate trend and etc…:D )

So?… again, Questions: if you somehow having S$1.5mil of cash now, sitting idling there, do you throw it into another property?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ummm…. For me ?..
I will use it to clear my loans (I hate banks). Anything extra will just throw into Reit or STI-ETF… after that can go :sleep:

kingkong1984
22-08-11, 19:58
I will keep cash and wait.

howgozit
22-08-11, 20:12
I will buy a Ferrari

kingkong1984
22-08-11, 20:16
Cars, Biggest losers......

But u have 1 life, enjoy....

buttercarp
22-08-11, 20:22
Back to the topic about kachang puteh issues.....
Would you buy a property if the master bedroom was situated under the toilet of the room above?

Eh, so how?
Why nobody answer my question?

linchong84
22-08-11, 20:23
Cars, Biggest losers......

can gain plenty of good quality one night stands foc..

chiaberry
22-08-11, 20:24
Eh, so how?
Why nobody answer my question?

No I wouldn't.

buttercarp
22-08-11, 20:28
No I wouldn't.

Why?
Izit because of feng shui?

chiaberry
22-08-11, 20:28
sorry when was it a latest trend? private lift lobby and private lift itself has been part of floor area since like forever. Perhaps Teddybear would know better since he has been longtime investor in prime properties.

I thought it was only for prime properties but spilling over into the non prime areas 99LH condo now.

chiaberry
22-08-11, 20:33
Why?
Izit because of feng shui?

No scared it would leak into my bedroom if/when the person upstairs does renovation or his plumbing develops problems. Any particular reason for asking? Usually in a condo, the toilets are configured on top of each other due to the logistics of the plumbing so you're not likely to have somebody's toilet over your bedroom unless the owner upstairs did some MAJOR reconfiguration. I'm not sure that's possible in a condo to move the toilet a great distance away from its original position.

buttercarp
22-08-11, 20:37
No scared it would leak into my bedroom if/when the person upstairs does renovation or his plumbing develops problems. Any particular reason for asking? Usually in a condo, the toilets are configured on top of each other due to the logistics of the plumbing so you're not likely to have somebody's toilet over your bedroom unless the owner upstairs did some MAJOR reconfiguration. I'm not sure that's possible in a condo to move the toilet a great distance away from its original position.

Actually it is a landed property.
The master room is on the 2nd floor but the room above has a toilet which is directly above the master room.
Would you buy such a house?
Thanks for your input.

ysyap
22-08-11, 20:44
I will keep cash and wait.Wait for double dip or next recession? :tongue3:

howgozit
22-08-11, 21:05
The master room is on the 2nd floor but the room above has a toilet which is directly above the master room.
Thanks for your input.

In the above case, the ceiling of the master bedroom would have to be a false ceiling to accomodate the sewage/drainage pipes. In addition, the false ceiling must have an access cover to facilitate inspection of the pipes.

Apart from Fengshui considerations, through years of usage, expansion and contraction there is a possibility that leakage may occur. Also, remember, it is a false ceiling and the hollowness of the ceiling may amplify the sound of the flushing toilet especially in the quiet of the night.

evergreen
22-08-11, 21:10
d) poor fengshui
- Big Head Small Body buildings:: Some buildings’ structure having top part to be bigger size/wider, because those higher floors could fetch better $$. In fengshui, people do not like the top part of buildings to be bigger than bottom part. The building is not stable
- Saw in some MM:: Sleeping with your head resting on bay window, like sleeping on guillotine. example floor plan:
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l529/ikan-bilis/suite.gif

- Others:: all types of corners pointing at your main door, living room.

The biggest problem with this layout is the bed is in the middle of the house. Stove and bed should not be in middle.
Stove just beside the sink. Should be separated by a space.
Head of the bed is against a window. Head should be against a wall for support. Close the windows curtains always when sleeping to make it seem like a wall.
Bedroom door is too close to the bed. Occupant will not have restful sleep.
Many "missing sectors". Should check the exact chart for the intended period of occupation and also check the jobs of the occupants. Certain missing sectors are ok for different time periods. Certain missing sectors could be very bad for some professions.
Also have to see the position of the unit in the building to check whether there are any wall edges pointing at the main door. Also buildings nearby with edges pointing at your windows and balcony.

Corners pointing at living room is ok. But should not point at main door, balcony, room doors and beds.

Thanks for your input.
No. The architect is dumb :doh:

buttercarp
22-08-11, 22:25
So is this okay?
Part of the masterbedroom is below the toilet of the room upstairs.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/singapore-property-pictures/floorplan/luxus-hills/floorplan-TypeC.jpg

chiaberry
23-08-11, 00:30
So is this okay?
Part of the masterbedroom is below the toilet of the room upstairs.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/singapore-property-pictures/floorplan/luxus-hills/floorplan-TypeC.jpg

Sorry, can't see it (says "page is forbidden").

Agree that flushing toilet might disturb your sleep at night. And I would indeed worry that there might be leakage or condensation onto the false ceiling. Since you did not do the renovation of the place, you wouldn't know how good is the waterproofing/membrane or if it was properly done. The thought of somebody ****-ping directly above me is also unsettling.

howgozit
23-08-11, 01:15
Can't be worse than this lah

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Singapore man's lonely death

http://www.asiaone.com/A1MEDIA/news/08Aug11/20110821.172846_tnp_body.jpg

The New Paper
Monday, Aug 22, 2011
By Alvin Lim
HE DIED as he lived - alone.
And for about a week, his body lay rotting in his Lorong Aruan home in the Newton Road area. Some neighbours detected a stench, another noticed that his lights had not been switched on for days, but no one did anything.
Not until the body had reached such an advanced stage of decomposition that a pungent reddish-brown fluid seeped through cracks on the floor to the unit below.
That was when his downstairs neighbour dialled 999.
The police said they received a call at 1.45pm on Wednesday informing them of a foul smell. When their knocks went unanswered, they broke open the door and found the decomposing body of a man in his mid-60s.
Chinese newspaper Lianhe Wanbao identified the deceased as Mr Henry Ng, a former PUB employee.
Eight of his neighbours whom The New Paper spoke to yesterday knew he worked for the PUB because they had seen him in his work uniform, but not one of them knew his name.
What they knew was that he was already living there when they moved into the neighbourhood, which consists of double-storey houses.
Some of the houses had been partitioned into bottom and top units with their own entrances. It was the top unit that was home to Mr Ng.
When the family noticed a strong stench on Monday, they thought that it was just rotting rubbish. Madam Seah's mother-in-law, who wanted to be known only as Madam Cheah, said they finally suspected something was amiss when foul-smelling "chocolate-coloured" stains appeared through the cracks on her bedroom ceiling on Wednesday morning.
"After that happened, we immediately called the police," said Madam Cheah, who is her 80s, in Mandarin.
The pungent fluid, which dripped from the ceiling, formed a pool on her bed.
The family paid $1,000 to a cleaning company on the same day to disinfect the room and get rid of the mattress. Madam Cheah said she often saw Mr Ng riding his motorcycle to work.
But he stopped riding after he got into an accident early this year. Madam Cheah said that she noticed he was not in his unit for weeks.
When he returned home, he told her that he had had an accident and was hospitalised. She noticed that he walked with a limp after that.
She said Mr Ng was a quiet man who kept to himself and away from his neighbours
"He only speaks to my family. I've never seen him talk to the other neighbours," said Madam Ng, who has lived in the house for 50 years.
Click on thumbnail to view (Photos: TNP)
http://www.asiaone.com/static/multimedia/gallery/110821_newton/images/pic1_tn.jpg (http://www.asiaone.com/static/multimedia/gallery/110821_newton/pic1.html)http://www.asiaone.com/static/multimedia/gallery/110821_newton/images/pic2_tn.jpg (http://www.asiaone.com/static/multimedia/gallery/110821_newton/pic2.html)http://www.asiaone.com/static/multimedia/gallery/110821_newton/images/pic3_tn.jpg (http://www.asiaone.com/static/multimedia/gallery/110821_newton/pic3.html)http://www.asiaone.com/static/multimedia/gallery/110821_newton/images/pic4_tn.jpg (http://www.asiaone.com/static/multimedia/gallery/110821_newton/pic4.html)http://www.asiaone.com/static/multimedia/gallery/110821_newton/images/pic5_tn.jpg (http://www.asiaone.com/static/multimedia/gallery/110821_newton/pic5.html)http://www.asiaone.com/static/multimedia/gallery/110821_newton/images/pic6_tn.jpg (http://www.asiaone.com/static/multimedia/gallery/110821_newton/pic6.html)

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20110821-295498.html

land118
23-08-11, 06:35
Jalan Aruan.....The picture showing the 2 policeman cover their noses, on top of the door, if u enlarged picture show "13A"

buttercarp
23-08-11, 08:12
Sorry, can't see it (says "page is forbidden").

Agree that flushing toilet might disturb your sleep at night. And I would indeed worry that there might be leakage or condensation onto the false ceiling. Since you did not do the renovation of the place, you wouldn't know how good is the waterproofing/membrane or if it was properly done. The thought of somebody ****-ping directly above me is also unsettling.

Sorry, please try this link and view the enlarged version and tell me what you think of the arrangement. Thanks:) !

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/housing-in-singapore/singapore-property/floor-plan-LUXUS-HILLS.htm#_self

fclim
23-08-11, 09:06
Sorry, please try this link and view the enlarged version and tell me what you think of the arrangement. Thanks:) !

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/housing-in-singapore/singapore-property/floor-plan-LUXUS-HILLS.htm#_self

Didn't notice Luxus Hills had this arrangement. Good observation. Personally, I do not like to sleep under a toilet. Firstly, as some have mentioned, poor waterproofing may pose a problem. Waterproofing is typically good for 10 years only. Secondly, air con water condensate is discharged via pipes hidden below the toilet floor. I am pretty sure brownish water stains/spots will appear on the bedroom false ceiling over time. If you need to do some plumbing repair work for the toilet upstairs, it will be very convenient if you need to access from below.

In summary, if you are not comfortable with such an arrangement, then it is better to give it a miss rather than regret later on. This is landed and it might be your retirement home.

DC33_2008
23-08-11, 09:10
A good design will have all the wet area in the same stack even for landed property, ie. toilet one on top of the other.
Didn't notice Luxus Hills had this arrangement. Good observation. Personally, I do not like to sleep under a toilet. Firstly, as some have mentioned, poor waterproofing may pose a problem. Waterproofing is typically good for 10 years only. Secondly, air con water condensate is discharged via pipes hidden below the toilet floor. I am pretty sure brownish water stains/spots will appear on the bedroom false ceiling over time. If you need to do some plumbing repair work for the toilet upstairs, it will be very convenient if you need to access from below.

In summary, if you are not comfortable with such an arrangement, then it is better to give it a miss rather than regret later on. This is landed and it might be your retirement home.

ysyap
23-08-11, 09:14

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/housing-in-singapore/singapore-property/floor-plan-LUXUS-HILLS.htm#_selfI personally liked Luxus Hill project but missed the boat when I gave it a miss 2 years back. Now at 2.5mil, I'll continue to give it a miss! Anyway, the idea of your own toilet being above the master room is still ok lah, so long as your bed is not placed directly below it. Where I once used to live, my 2nd floor toilet is directly above my dining area and everything was still ok! If its your own toilet, you can repair it immediately when things go wrong so there shouldn't be any issue there! :spliff:

buttercarp
23-08-11, 09:31
I personally liked Luxus Hill project but missed the boat when I gave it a miss 2 years back. Now at 2.5mil, I'll continue to give it a miss! Anyway, the idea of your own toilet being above the master room is still ok lah, so long as your bed is not placed directly below it. Where I once used to live, my 2nd floor toilet is directly above my dining area and everything was still ok! If its your own toilet, you can repair it immediately when things go wrong so there shouldn't be any issue there! :spliff:

Thanks for all the replies.
Me too, so close to buying it in 2009, but like not destined to stay there.
Now with this sort of price, i can't bear to buy it, knowing that i could have saved hundreds of thousands.
But my heart and interest still stays with the project, and if ever there is a property fall, i may just buy one.
I also did not notice the toilet arrangement until someone mentioned it.
So now I am having 2nd thoughts about it.

howgozit
23-08-11, 10:21
Luxus Hills type A1 layout seems pretty OK leh..

buttercarp
23-08-11, 10:43
Luxus Hills type A1 layout seems pretty OK leh..
Agree with you that type A1 is ok.
But Type C 3rd floor toilet is right above the bed position of the master bedroom.

howgozit
23-08-11, 10:54
Agree with you that type A1 is ok.
But Type C 3rd floor toilet is right above the bed position of the master bedroom.

Actually, to me it is not a very big issue. Room layout can be adjusted to consider for the toilet above. Maybe a little bit wasted if you have to tear down the fitted wardrobes.

But don't forget, this is a multi-million house. The cost to re-decorate/renovate the masterbedroom to suit your needs is small by comparison.

ysyap
23-08-11, 10:59
Actually, to me it is not a very big issue. Room layout can be adjusted to consider for the toilet above. Maybe a little bit wasted if you have to tear down the fitted wardrobes.

But don't forget, this is a multi-million house. The cost to re-decorate/renovate the masterbedroom to suit your needs is small by comparison.Agreed. After spending 2.5mil on the house, you can't bear to take out $5k to redo the wardrobe? :doh:

buttercarp
23-08-11, 11:54
Another question.....If the back of the house is just right in front of a hill with a concrete wall supporting the hill, will you consider buying it?

The concrete wall is very strong looking.
But just worried about potential land slides, although it is almost unheard of in Singapore.

The good thing is that the backyard is very private cos there is nothing except for the concrete wall and the hill.

TIA.

ysyap
23-08-11, 12:14
Another question.....If the back of the house is just right in front of a hill with a concrete wall supporting the hill, will you consider buying it?

But just worried about potential land slides, although it is almost unheard of in Singapore.

The good thing is that the backyard is very private cos there is nothing except for the concrete wall and the hill.

TIA.The concrete wall probably serves as a retaining wall and it will only be dangerous when there is heavy rain where water cannot be drained out properly behind the hill, thus causing a huge hydro pressure against that structure. If the hill has proper drainage system, then absolutely no concern lah... anyway, the Singapore engineers are usually super kiasu whenever they build such concrete structures with a safety factor of 2.5 and above so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

An example of how kiasu our civil engineers are is this: It is not unusual to add on another storey to multi-storey carparks in Singapore because the safety factor generally allows for that. :cheers1:

howgozit
23-08-11, 12:34

TIA.

Actually, retaining wall collapse is not uncommon in Singapore.

Btw, what is on top of the hill?

buttercarp
23-08-11, 12:43
The concrete wall probably serves as a retaining wall and it will only be dangerous when there is heavy rain where water cannot be drained out properly behind the hill, thus causing a huge hydro pressure against that structure. If the hill has proper drainage system, then absolutely no concern lah... anyway, the Singapore engineers are usually super kiasu whenever they build such concrete structures with a safety factor of 2.5 and above so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

An example of how kiasu our civil engineers are is this: It is not unusual to add on another storey to multi-storey carparks in Singapore because the safety factor generally allows for that. :cheers1:

That's reassuring......:)
Thanks.

buttercarp
23-08-11, 12:44
Actually, retaining wall collapse is not uncommon in Singapore.

Btw, what is on top of the hill?

OMG!:scared-3:
I hope it is typo error?
So is it common or uncommon for retaining wall to collapse?

On top of hill is mindef camp.

howgozit
23-08-11, 13:13
OMG!:scared-3:
I hope it is typo error?
So is it common or uncommon for retaining wall to collapse?

On top of hill is mindef camp.

No typo, it is not uncommon for retaining walls to collapse.

Let me rephrase, retaining walls do collapse every once in a while. Just that it may not be significant for it to be reported in the news. Other than retaining wall collapses due to MRT works, the highest profile retaining wall collapse was about 20 years ago (1991)

This was significant for two reasons. It was Christmas day 25Dec 1991 and the 4 houses affected were in Lasia Avenue which is just off the very prime 6th Avenue in Bukit Timah. I think it rained continuosly for a day on Christmas Eve.

buttercarp
23-08-11, 13:26
No typo, it is not uncommon for retaining walls to collapse.

Let me rephrase, retaining walls do collapse every once in a while. Just that it may not be significant for it to be reported in the news. Other than retaining wall collapses due to MRT works, the highest profile retaining wall collapse was about 20 years ago (1991)

This was significant for two reasons. It was Christmas day 25Dec 1991 and the 4 houses affected were in Lasia Avenue which is just off the very prime 6th Avenue in Bukit Timah. I think it rained continuosly for a day on Christmas Eve.

Thanks for the info, howgozit.
It's so scary!
So you won't consider the property that I have mentioned?

ysyap
23-08-11, 13:33
Most retaining wall structure collapses at work sites like MRT constructions sites. I wouldn't be too worried about completed areas! :D

buttercarp
23-08-11, 13:56
Most retaining wall structure collapses at work sites like MRT constructions sites. I wouldn't be too worried about completed areas! :D

Most retaining wall structure at work sites are probably temporary ones?
Ysyap, you are certainly reassuring.:)
Are you an engineer?

Thanks.

howgozit
23-08-11, 14:20
Are you an engineer?

Thanks.

Hope my comments didn't alarm you.

Maybe I should be clearer. The problem with retaining walls is that its maintenance is under the purview of the landowners. In your case the landowner is Mindef, so no problems I have no doubts it would be sturdy.

In some very old estates where errant homeowners have made illegal extensions without a PE's (professional engineer) assessment, the retaining wall is at risk.

Also, the retaining walls have holes called "weep holes". Weep holes allow water to seep out from the soil into the drainage. On some very old properties, this may be choked and cause a build-up of water during heavy rain days. The load may cause the retaining wall to crack under pressure.

Cheers!

buttercarp
23-08-11, 14:34
Hope my comments didn't alarm you.

Maybe I should be clearer. The problem with retaining walls is that its maintenance is under the purview of the landowners. In your case the landowner is Mindef, so no problems I have no doubts it would be sturdy.

In some very old estates where errant homeowners have made illegal extensions without a PE's (professional engineer) assessment, the retaining wall is at risk.

Also, the retaining walls have holes called "weep holes". Weep holes allow water to seep out from the soil into the drainage. On some very old properties, this may be choked and cause a build-up of water during heavy rain days. The load may cause the retaining wall to crack under pressure.

Cheers!

Oh great, at least I am reassured now!:)

I was quite alarmed initially.
Anyway already purchased the property so no turning back.
Initially I did not want becoz of the wall, but hubby thinks it is not an issue, as like you said, the wall belongs to mindef.
My bro also does not think it is a problem.
In fact, he said we should feel more secured as we have the camp behind us.;)

ysyap
23-08-11, 16:01
Are you an engineer?

Thanks.By training... :o No issues lah... I suppose you are asking for reassurrance from the forum since you have already purchased the property. No worries lah. I'm still naively waiting for Luxus Hill prices to fall. At 700k more, I really can't afford it... LOL!

fclim
23-08-11, 18:04
Sat, Dec 22, 2007
The Straits Times

A year on, landslide homes are still not fit to live in http://news.asiaone.com/a1media/site/common/blank.gifALMOST a year after landslides damaged Hillview Gardens Estate, life is still far from settled for three families.
Two of them, at 58 and 60 Chu Yen Street, have not been able to move back home as the damage wrought by the cascading mud has yet to be repaired.
There is a solid wall of soil and debris in the kitchen of No. 58, and the back wall of the bedroom upstairs bears a 1-cm crack from floor to ceiling.

The family in No. 62 moved back in May, but has to constantly keep out seeping mud from the house in rainy weather.
For the other two, repairs have stalled while the families and their insurance companies work out the claims.
On Jan 12 this year, the evening peace for some Hillview Gardens residents was shattered when a huge mass of land broke from the park slopes behind their homes. As they scrambled out, residents watched soil, trees and debris slide over their retaining walls and into their backyards and kitchens.
Eleven homes along Jalan Dermawan and between Chu Yen Street and Chu Lin Road were evacuated. Nearly all have moved back in.
Building and Construction Authority (BCA) told The Straits Times the main challenge for the remaining three was the 'protracted negotiations' between home owners and insurance firms on damages and repair works to the properties.
Work finally began last week but MSIG Insurance, which handles the policies for Nos. 58 and 60, said the claims negotiations are still 'ongoing'.
NTUC Income is still considering claims made by unit 62, whose policy does not cover landslides.
The construction costs alone are expected to exceed $400,000 for the three homes.
The work will involve clearing the debris, cutting back the slope which forms the back boundary of the properties, creating a new retaining wall and repairs to the buildings themselves.
Slope owner National Parks Board has also been making sure a landslip does not occur again. It has lowered the gradient of the hill and strengthened it with steel bars called soil nails.
Heavy rainfall and the steep terrain have made repairs challenging, and land had to be excavated to create a special access road to the area. But weather permitting, they should be completed by the first quarter of next year, said NParks' director of parks, Mr Kong Yit San.
The other landslips along Jalan Dermawan have been repaired, by land owners Far East Organisation and Ministry of Defence.
Though frustrated, the family in No. 58 has become resigned to the situation.
Ms Lydia Goh, who is hoping to move back in with her mother and brother, said: 'No point getting all worked up about it. It's not like I can go in and build the house. So I take things in my stride and gently push them along the way.'

buttercarp
23-08-11, 18:36
Sat, Dec 22, 2007
The Straits Times

A year on, landslide homes are still not fit to live in http://news.asiaone.com/a1media/site/common/blank.gifALMOST a year after landslides damaged Hillview Gardens Estate, life is still far from settled for three families.
Two of them, at 58 and 60 Chu Yen Street, have not been able to move back home as the damage wrought by the cascading mud has yet to be repaired.
There is a solid wall of soil and debris in the kitchen of No. 58, and the back wall of the bedroom upstairs bears a 1-cm crack from floor to ceiling.

:scared-3: :scared-3: :scared-3: :scared-3:

Hope this does not happen to me.
Anyway have backup home, just in case.
Btw, what happened in the end?
Did they get to move back?

fclim
23-08-11, 22:23
:scared-3: :scared-3: :scared-3: :scared-3:

Hope this does not happen to me.
Anyway have backup home, just in case.
Btw, what happened in the end?
Did they get to move back?

I would think so. It happened some 4 years ago. The lesson learnt is to take up an insurance policy against damages caused by landslides. Not sure if such policies are available and what the premiums are like.

buttercarp
23-08-11, 23:03
I would think so. It happened some 4 years ago. The lesson learnt is to take up an insurance policy against damages caused by landslides. Not sure if such policies are available and what the premiums are like.

Have been sourcing around for home insurance which covers landslide but so far can't find any. Guess I have to call the insurance company to tailor it to my needs.
I kaypoh and google search the unit you mentioned and at that point in time, i suppose about 2009, the house was being rebuilt. So I guess the house was sold. The hill behind it does not seem to have a retaining wall.

fclim
24-08-11, 09:16
Have been sourcing around for home insurance which covers landslide but so far can't find any. Guess I have to call the insurance company to tailor it to my needs.
I kaypoh and google search the unit you mentioned and at that point in time, i suppose about 2009, the house was being rebuilt. So I guess the house was sold. The hill behind it does not seem to have a retaining wall.

Most insurance in Singapore as far as I know won't cover subsidence and landslides unless you specifically asked for it. That's one of the things about landed. Adequate insurance coverage needs to include floods, landslides and possibly thunderstorms e.g. trees falling onto your house. Most people cover fire and theft only. You know your house best and it is good to evaluate the possible risks.