PDA

View Full Version : Freehold Penthouse vs Leasehold landed, your choice?

Montaigne
22-08-11, 16:39
Which is a wiser choice? I realised that some FH PH moreover it is apartment status cost even higher than LH landed.

howgozit
22-08-11, 17:10
No need to think, easily FH penthouse.

To me even LH penthouse is higher on the list than LH landed.

Montaigne
22-08-11, 17:21

Wow, I still got a lot to learn! What about freehold penthouse vs freehold landed then?

howgozit
22-08-11, 17:41
Wow, I still got a lot to learn! What about freehold penthouse vs freehold landed then?

This is just my own view only lah....

For landed there are a few kinds, Inter-Terr, Corner-Terr, Semi-Di, Detached.

Assuming both same location and FH, my opinion is the Penthouse beat the Inter-Terr, tie with Corner-Terr but lose to Semi-Di and above.

My 2 :2cents:

gn108
22-08-11, 17:50
Agree.
Somehow 99LH landed seems to be least preferred.

Montaigne
22-08-11, 18:05
This is just my own view only lah....

For landed there are a few kinds, Inter-Terr, Corner-Terr, Semi-Di, Detached.

Assuming both same location and FH, my opinion is the Penthouse beat the Inter-Terr, tie with Corner-Terr but lose to Semi-Di and above.

My 2 :2cents:

After reading this comment, I realised that the question I posted becomes stupid haha, I should have changed to FH PH vs FH landed lol

DC33_2008
22-08-11, 18:23
FH Landed is more likely to be able to preserved as compared to FH PH. It depends what you want.
After reading this comment, I realised that the question I posted becomes stupid haha, I should have changed to FH PH vs FH landed lol

buttercarp
22-08-11, 18:37
I will definitely go for FH landed.
To me, landed must be FH or 999 years.
And it cannot be strata.

For PH or condo, i won't want to pay the premium for FH.
So if it is condo, i won't bother so much whether it is LH or FH.
The location of the condo is of the utmost importance to me.

:2cents: :2cents: .

Santro
22-08-11, 19:12
My main deciding factor was family. If your kids are young then maybe freehold penthouse - avoid overhead of landed maintenance and kids can use the condo facilities. Usually condo may be well located in terms of amenities.
Otherwise, go for landed. Enjoy the laid back lifestyle and nurturing your garden. :)

howgozit
22-08-11, 20:03
My main deciding factor was family. If your kids are young then maybe freehold penthouse - avoid overhead of landed maintenance and kids can use the condo facilities. Usually condo may be well located in terms of amenities.
Otherwise, go for landed. Enjoy the laid back lifestyle and nurturing your garden. :)

Having stayed in both, my observations are that landed maintenance tend to be lower than a penthouse's maintenance. (of course this is a general statement)

Usually the penthouse's share value is much higher than the other regular units' causing owners to pay disproportionately higher conservancy fees even though they may have the same or less occupants.

The advantage for landed is that most maintenance matters are at your sole discretion. For example, if you are low on funds you can hold out painting your house or doing your own gardening.

However, one point to note is that Penthouses are the top of the heap in their respective condos, whereas for the same price and location landed you may be at the bottom rung (again a general statement)

Santro
22-08-11, 20:14
Good to know someone who has experience in both. :)
What would your advise be between condo and landed instead of penthouse and landed :confused: .I agree on your comment that penthouse maintenance or even for that matter ground floor unit with patio will have a much higher conservancy charges than the others.

Having stayed in both, my observations are that landed maintenance tend to be lower than a penthouse's maintenance. (of course this is a general statement)

Usually the penthouse's share value is much higher than the other regular units' causing owners to pay disproportionately higher conservancy fees even though they may have the same or less occupants.

The advantage for landed is that most maintenance matters are at your sole discretion. For example, if you are low on funds you can hold out painting your house or doing your own gardening.

However, one point to note is that Penthouses are the top of the heap in their respective condos, whereas for the same price and location landed you may be at the bottom rung (again a general statement)

kingkong1984
22-08-11, 20:14
SOme FH penthouse, super run down.
Some LH landed, super crowded.
FH n LH don't matter as long as location is good.

Penthouse are for show offs, if u r not king there, dun go buy.
LH landed are for down to earth people.
I buy penthouses over LH landed as security and privacy may be a issue.

clemdale
22-08-11, 21:09
how do corner terraces and semi-ds differ in terms of price psf?

Montaigne
22-08-11, 21:23

No kids, only me and partner :)

Montaigne
22-08-11, 21:25
SOme FH penthouse, super run down.
Some LH landed, super crowded.
FH n LH don't matter as long as location is good.

Penthouse are for show offs, if u r not king there, dun go buy.
LH landed are for down to earth people.
I buy penthouses over LH landed as security and privacy may be a issue.

I would think otherwise, I think LH landed are for show offs. For those die die want to live in landed yet cannot afford FH landed.

Montaigne
22-08-11, 21:27

PH got wat maintenance? No need to fix gate, pests issues right? I agree with your last statement!

howgozit
22-08-11, 21:55
PH got wat maintenance? No need to fix gate, pests issues right? I agree with your last statement!

Apologies, what I meant was that Penthouse tend to pay more for maintenance due to higher share value.

As for the physical maintenance of the property, I find the only maintenace that is physically more is the garden. It is however also surprisingly theurapetic, even watering the plants also quite shiok. But if you are too busy for the garden you can pay the gardening uncle to do the gardening for you (I think every landed estate has a gardening uncle)

My Penthouse also has a rooftop patio that has potted plants and potted trees(Frangipanis) but somehow the feeling a bit different.

Just my views

kingkong1984
22-08-11, 22:10
I would think otherwise, I think LH landed are for show offs. For those die die want to live in landed yet cannot afford FH landed.
When I say penthouses, it's referring to super penthouses, not one bedder, two bedder or three bedder. It's really show off there when it's LH and yet cost more than FH. One unit in whole development. Not king then what it is?

Landed are those small landed, not super GCB. I will agree if u say GCB are for showoffs.

To decide, it's all about space and design. If both cost 1.2 million, same size. I would go for LH landed rather than FH penthouses if LH is on one floor and penthouses on two.

Montaigne
22-08-11, 22:14
When I say penthouses, it's referring to super penthouses, not one bedder, two bedder or three bedder. It's really show off there when it's LH and yet cost more than FH. One unit in whole development. Not king then what it is?

Landed are those small landed, not super GCB. I will agree if u say GCB are for showoffs.

To decide, it's all about space and design. If both cost 1.2 million, same size. I would go for LH landed rather than FH penthouses if LH is on one floor and penthouses on two.

Then u may as well buy one floor freehold condo since LH landed is least prefered.

kingkong1984
22-08-11, 22:15
Then u may as well buy one floor freehold condo since LH landed is least prefered.
Yup, but answering ur question.

howgozit
22-08-11, 23:26
Good to know someone who has experience in both. :)
What would your advise be between condo and landed instead of penthouse and landed :confused: .I agree on your comment that penthouse maintenance or even for that matter ground floor unit with patio will have a much higher conservancy charges than the others.

Haha.. I am not qualified to advise, just sharing my view.

I think if you trim the variables and keep pricing, location and tenure the same, you may find the condo to be more attractive. For example with $1.8M, you get only entry level FH landed(may still need another few hundred K of A&A). But with the same amount you can get a pretty decent FH Condo.

ysyap
23-08-11, 07:55
Penthouses or landed appeals to different people or even the same people but at different junctures of their lives. I used to want to stay in landed but when kids came along, I decided condos and in due time would love to stay in penthouses! LOL! All got pros and cons! No best deal for everybody but just for individuals.

DC33_2008
23-08-11, 08:44
Maintenance cost of landed is lower than a penthouse of the same area.

devilplate
23-08-11, 09:31
Maintenance cost of landed is lower than a penthouse of the same area.

PH pay maint fee to maintain their common area vs landed owners upkeep on their own

more work for landed owners to clean their homes without a maid

electricity bills cud be higher for landed too

basically u goto pay for the bigger space u own:D

Montaigne
23-08-11, 09:33
PH pay maint fee to maintain their common area vs landed owners upkeep on their own

more work for landed owners to clean their homes without a maid

electricity bills cud be higher for landed too

basically u goto pay for the bigger space u own:D

so for lazy people go for PH? I also think landed higher cleaniless maintenance.

devilplate
23-08-11, 09:36
so for lazy people go for PH? I also think landed higher cleaniless maintenance.

definitely higher running cost for landed lor....landed cfm nid a full time maid whereas PH still can manage with just a part time maid

ysyap
23-08-11, 09:42
so for lazy people go for PH? I also think landed higher cleaniless maintenance.All else being constant, keeping a landed is more expensive than keeping a PH. The electrical bill of keeping a larger space when using a/c and cleaning up the property will probably work out to be more than the maintenance cost of a PH. :D

Santro
23-08-11, 13:08
Thats true. Another factor is ease of selling or renting out. Guess landed would be more challenging than condo/pent houses.

Haha.. I am not qualified to advise, just sharing my view.

I think if you trim the variables and keep pricing, location and tenure the same, you may find the condo to be more attractive. For example with $1.8M, you get only entry level FH landed(may still need another few hundred K of A&A). But with the same amount you can get a pretty decent FH Condo.

Santro
23-08-11, 13:12
Nowaday condo's come with high ceilings too - eg Trizon. You end up paying for more air space :scared-3: as this pushes up the prices.

All else being constant, keeping a landed is more expensive than keeping a PH. The electrical bill of keeping a larger space when using a/c and cleaning up the property will probably work out to be more than the maintenance cost of a PH. :D

howgozit
23-08-11, 13:47
PH has a higher snob factor. Doesn't matter how much you paid for your PH or how it compares with other properties. Once you are back in your Condo, when you press the button for the highest floor in the lift, clearly you are in the top range in your estate.

The kind of landed that I can afford, I feel like I am living in a kampung(not that it is a bad thing).

As for maintenance cost, my experience is that my utiliity bills are about the same for both landed and PH after I did away with my feature pond. Most rooms including living and dining rooms have ceiling fans which don't look weird in a landed. But somehow in a PH, ceiling fans seem quite out-of-place and I used the A/C more frequently. So far the only thing that I am paying for is pest control.

buttercarp
23-08-11, 14:15
PH has a higher snob factor. Doesn't matter how much you paid for your PH or how it compares with other properties. Once you are back in your Condo, when you press the button for the highest floor in the lift, clearly you are in the top range in your estate.

The kind of landed that I can afford, I feel like I am living in a kampung(not that it is a bad thing).

As for maintenance cost, my experience is that my utiliity bills are about the same for both landed and PH after I did away with my feature pond. Most rooms including living and dining rooms have ceiling fans which don't look weird in a landed. But somehow in a PH, ceiling fans seem quite out-of-place and I used the A/C more frequently. So far the only thing that I am paying for is pest control.

Yup, agree with you.
That's why I told my hubby we macam like downgrading when we shift from our present PH (actually i would consider it a duplex with a small roof terrace) to inter- terrace.
Actually i prefer high rise living, but hubby wants landed. For many years, i have tried to persuade him to upgrade to a real PH, but he not keen to pay for air space.
Also now have to consider about security issues with landed.
Havebeen reading about the different breeds of guard dog to get ready for landed living.

DC33_2008
23-08-11, 14:18
Do you know that you are also cooling a larger volume of air when you use your air-conditioners?

howgozit
23-08-11, 14:31
Do you know that you are also cooling a larger volume of air when you use your air-conditioners?

You mean in landed? yes agree with that.

But somehow my A/C usage in fact less. The bedrooms remain the same, but for living/dining area in one year used less than one hand can count. Usually we use the ceiling fan.

blackpepperj
23-08-11, 15:14
Some disadvantages of PH
1) You cannot tear down the PH and build something else
2) Some have watertank view
3) Higher share of maintenance for the same facilities as the rest unless you get more carpark lots

Snob factor? Pressing the button for the highest floor may just possibly mean you are the big fish in a small pond. :)

fclim
23-08-11, 15:35
Yup, agree with you.
That's why I told my hubby we macam like downgrading when we shift from our present PH (actually i would consider it a duplex with a small roof terrace) to inter- terrace.
Actually i prefer high rise living, but hubby wants landed. For many years, i have tried to persuade him to upgrade to a real PH, but he not keen to pay for air space.
Havebeen reading about the different breeds of guard dog to get ready for landed living.

I have lived in a FH landed for more than 10 years. Didn't feel anything special. Kids going into their teens. Want facilities, transport, convenience. Don't want to walk so far out to take bus. My landed neighbours mostly retirees in their 60s. Got some rented out to foreign workers too. I am not in the GCB class, hehe. Well, the grass is always greener on the other side, I guess.

Montaigne
23-08-11, 15:50
Yup, agree with you.

So if wanna buy penthouse must die die buy "real" penthouse? New launches rarely have real penthouse wor..Mostly with small roof terrace. Just saw richard 21 floorplan, their PH comes with a jazcuzzi. I didnt know that the so called penthouse you can term them as "not real" penthouses haha.

Montaigne
23-08-11, 15:52
Some disadvantages of PH
1) You cannot tear down the PH and build something else
2) Some have watertank view
3) Higher share of maintenance for the same facilities as the rest unless you get more carpark lots

Snob factor? Pressing the button for the highest floor may just possibly mean you are the big fish in a small pond. :)

Would you rather be a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in the big pond? To each its own, I prefer the former.

ysyap
23-08-11, 15:56
So if wanna buy penthouse must die die buy "real" penthouse? New launches rarely have real penthouse wor..Mostly with small roof terrace. Just saw richard 21 floorplan, their PH comes with a jazcuzzi. I didnt know that the so called penthouse you can term them as "not real" penthouses haha.Well I guess I'm more of a practical person. I like penthouses which are not double storey for two simple reasons. First, the stairways are sold for spaces I can't really use. Second, the 2nd floor usually have super huge balconies which are absolutely useless to me who don't plant and sit and chill out at night and stuff! Single storey penthouses, to me is shiok shiok where all spaces are more or less utilized! :D

SpinCity
23-08-11, 16:50
Would you rather be a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in the big pond? To each its own, I prefer the former.

Only the pond that you are swimming is relevant to you.
Small fishes in big pond are food, big fishes in small pond are predators

ysyap
23-08-11, 16:57
Only the pond that you are swimming is relevant to you.
Small fishes in big pond are food, big fishes in small pond are predatorsBig fishes in big ponds are also predators... If cannot be those big fishes, die die also cannot be those small fishes waiting to be makan! :D

Montaigne
23-08-11, 17:22
Big fishes in big ponds are also predators... If cannot be those big fishes, die die also cannot be those small fishes waiting to be makan! :D

Conclusion: If cannot afford to be big fish in big pond, then be a big fish in small pond. Don't haolian squeeze dry dry to be small fish in big pond then kena prey.

buttercarp
23-08-11, 18:56
So if wanna buy penthouse must die die buy "real" penthouse? New launches rarely have real penthouse wor..Mostly with small roof terrace. Just saw richard 21 floorplan, their PH comes with a jazcuzzi. I didnt know that the so called penthouse you can term them as "not real" penthouses haha.

My idea of a real penthouse is about 3000 sq ft or more on the 30th storey or higher. I would also like it not to have wasted space like roof terrace.
That's why I eyed the Arte penthouse as some of them have spaces all enclosed.

ysyap
23-08-11, 19:23
My idea of a real penthouse is about 3000 sq ft or more on the 30th storey or higher. I would also like it not to have wasted space like roof terrace.
That's why I eyed the Arte penthouse as some of them have spaces all enclosed.Arte all sold? Minton also have huge penthouses with 5+1 layout! Very nice! :D

Rysk
23-08-11, 19:42
Arte all sold? Minton also have huge penthouses with 5+1 layout! Very nice! :D

Arte PH all above 30th flr... Minton PH highest which flr:D
Arte is FH... Minton is LH:D

ysyap
23-08-11, 20:56
Arte PH all above 30th flr... Minton PH highest which flr:D
Arte is FH... Minton is LH:DArte @ $3.5mil, I can get a FH semi detach in a decent location like Serangoon. Minton is asking about $2.3mil for a similar sized unit. Saving on that $1.2mil to do further investment makes more sense, right? :D Its all about priorities. :o

kingkong1984
23-08-11, 23:07
http://www.ourproperty.co.uk/guides/buying_a_penthouse.html

What is the attraction of a penthouse?

The inhabitants of penthouse apartments towering above a city are spoilt by breathtaking views, often 360 degree panoramas. The property will be designed to enhance and take advantage of every feature of its enviable position. Floor to ceiling windows are a common feature, so natural light and those stunning views are there to be enjoyed every day of the year.
Being able to offer such incredible views means that the block the penthouse is in is likely to be a prominent feature on the city's skyline itself. Owning the most luxurious property in such a high profile landmark comes with a great deal of prestige.
There should be no expense spared on your new property, and this should encompass the entire living area, not just your penthouse. For instance, many apartment blocks offer a 24 hour concierge service, boasting services ranging from dry cleaning to arranging car washing.
Some also have on site shops, so that running out of milk needn't mean a walk to the corner shop, because you can find shop facilities just a few paces out of your front door, in the apartment complex.
After a manic day in the office, return to your five star property via the onsite gym and beauty clinic. More and more penthouse developments have onsite fitness suites and offer saunas and massage rooms to help residents unwind.
Opulent high rise blocks being built today often incorporate a dining experience into the development. A restaurant or lounge bar boasting similar breath taking views as the duplex and penthouse apartments is a very convenient facility. Have a look at this lavish eatery in the Pan Peninsula (http://www.panpeninsula.com/site/pp_main.php) development, overlooking London's docklands.

kingkong1984
24-08-11, 06:42
Can take a tour here

http://www.panpeninsula.com/#/tour

ysyap
24-08-11, 07:39
Can take a tour here

http://www.panpeninsula.com/#/tourClip not found! :D

ysyap
24-08-11, 07:41
http://www.ourproperty.co.uk/guides/buying_a_penthouse.html

What is the attraction of a penthouse?

The inhabitants of penthouse apartments towering above a city are spoilt by breathtaking views, often 360 degree panoramas. The property will be designed to enhance and take advantage of every feature of its enviable position. Floor to ceiling windows are a common feature, so natural light and those stunning views are there to be enjoyed every day of the year.
Being able to offer such incredible views means that the block the penthouse is in is likely to be a prominent feature on the city's skyline itself. Owning the most luxurious property in such a high profile landmark comes with a great deal of prestige.
There should be no expense spared on your new property, and this should encompass the entire living area, not just your penthouse. For instance, many apartment blocks offer a 24 hour concierge service, boasting services ranging from dry cleaning to arranging car washing.
Some also have on site shops, so that running out of milk needn't mean a walk to the corner shop, because you can find shop facilities just a few paces out of your front door, in the apartment complex.
After a manic day in the office, return to your five star property via the onsite gym and beauty clinic. More and more penthouse developments have onsite fitness suites and offer saunas and massage rooms to help residents unwind.
Opulent high rise blocks being built today often incorporate a dining experience into the development. A restaurant or lounge bar boasting similar breath taking views as the duplex and penthouse apartments is a very convenient facility. Have a look at this lavish eatery in the Pan Peninsula (http://www.panpeninsula.com/site/pp_main.php) development, overlooking London's docklands.Your final four points are not for PHs only! :spliff:

Laguna
24-08-11, 08:16
landed :
1. The land for the landed property (other than GCB) is too small.
2. Very hot, of course depend on the orientation
3. lots of insects running around
4. not old folks friendly, need to climb staircase, unless there is a proper room at the ground level, unless u hv a lift
5. not child friendly, as need to block up all staircase to prevent fall by the young kids
6. no view
7. no facilities

PH :
1. if there is big open terrace, then also too hot

rather buying two neighouring units and join up if possible instead of PH.

Montaigne
24-08-11, 09:21
Big penthouse, small penthouse still penthouse. Cannot afford big penthouse or landed, at least got small penthouse. But cannot be so mini that it becomes unlivable.

ysyap
24-08-11, 10:11
landed :
1. The land for the landed property (other than GCB) is too small.
2. Very hot, of course depend on the orientation
3. lots of insects running around
4. not old folks friendly, need to climb staircase, unless there is a proper room at the ground level, unless u hv a lift
5. not child friendly, as need to block up all staircase to prevent fall by the young kids
6. no view
7. no facilities

PH :
1. if there is big open terrace, then also too hot

rather buying two neighouring units and join up if possible instead of PH.Not wise to buy two neighboring units and combine coz the psf of each unit is much higher than a PH. Even if buy directly from developer and try to explain rationale, there is really only that little bit of discount developer can give coz they have their expected income also from the sales! :spliff2:

wind30
24-08-11, 11:55
I thought should be leasehold penthouse vs freehold landed.

I think condo/penthouse psf prices are much higher than landed.

Especially if you are comparing freehold penthouse vs leasehold landed I think the area is easily more than double for landed.

With the same amount of money, the condo livable area will always be much smaller than the landed.

devilplate
24-08-11, 13:54
I thought should be leasehold penthouse vs freehold landed.

I think condo/penthouse psf prices are much higher than landed.

Especially if you are comparing freehold penthouse vs leasehold landed I think the area is easily more than double for landed.

With the same amount of money, the condo livable area will always be much smaller than the landed.
Not necessary true now if u compare with brandnew inter terrace wif brandnew penthse nearby....psf is comparable now for built in.:scared-1:

And quantum for landed is more......coupled with foreigner restriction which means its not a fair comparison anyway....landed tripled cfm shoot up the roof if open to foreigner....

Always take note u r buying the land when u r looking at landed and not livable space....

kingkong1984
24-08-11, 14:48
Penthouse must have views. Normal views, go for normal units. Super penthouses have private swimming pools. Small penthouses are ok if u like them cheap.

Landed must have car parks. No parking space, go for condo.

Either one is ok as long as you have the money and is happy with it.

Life is short, dun worry and be happy. Being debt free is easier to be worry free and should be easier to be happy.

devilplate
24-08-11, 15:54
Penthouse must have views. Normal views, go for normal units. Super penthouses have private swimming pools. Small penthouses are ok if u like them cheap.

Landed must have car parks. No parking space, go for condo.

Either one is ok as long as you have the money and is happy with it.

Life is short, dun worry and be happy. Being debt free is easier to be worry free and should be easier to be happy.
Debt free for ur primary residence mabe a happy thing but plain silly for investment ppty especially for those whose time is still on their side

mkl22
24-08-11, 16:50
would take a FH landed anytime. do what you want and whenever you want. ie can tear down walls and put up anything. No real need for any permission with regards to building facade. also save on monthly maintenance to condo management. the money save can be used at anytime for various upgrades. imagine the 400-500 for monthly fees for penthouses will work out to 120k over 20years and this is assuming there is no increase in the price. my parents place over the last 20years did not even spend 10k on extra maintenance.

kingkong1984
24-08-11, 19:15
Debt free for ur primary residence mabe a happy thing but plain silly for investment ppty especially for those whose time is still on their side

agree... but invest in penthouses? maybe too risky. Go for the smallest MM lah.

Montaigne
24-08-11, 20:06
Penthouse difficult to rent out at good price, but it may not be a bad idea to rent out the lower level 1 bedder while occupying the upper level assuming it is a 2 bedders and above PH. Provided owner don't mind sharing with tenant though. At least no need to see tenant if owner just stay upstairs.

howgozit
24-08-11, 20:15
Penthouse difficult to rent out at good price, but it may not be a bad idea to rent out the lower level 1 bedder while occupying the upper level assuming it is a 2 bedders and above PH. Provided owner don't mind sharing with tenant though. At least no need to see tenant if owner just stay upstairs.

In my humble opinion, to live in a Penthouse is to live it up. It is supposed to be extravagant and opulent.

If I have to rent out some part of my Penthouse to earn some extra cash, then to me it would defeat the purpose of living in a Penthouse.:)

devilplate
24-08-11, 21:24
Better to get dual key

devilplate
24-08-11, 21:25
would take a FH landed anytime. do what you want and whenever you want. ie can tear down walls and put up anything. No real need for any permission with regards to building facade. also save on monthly maintenance to condo management. the money save can be used at anytime for various upgrades. imagine the 400-500 for monthly fees for penthouses will work out to 120k over 20years and this is assuming there is no increase in the price. my parents place over the last 20years did not even spend 10k on extra maintenance.
Did not even repaint the house for 20yrs?:scared-1:

ysyap
24-08-11, 21:56
would take a FH landed anytime. do what you want and whenever you want. ie can tear down walls and put up anything. No real need for any permission with regards to building facade. also save on monthly maintenance to condo management. the money save can be used at anytime for various upgrades. imagine the 400-500 for monthly fees for penthouses will work out to 120k over 20years and this is assuming there is no increase in the price. my parents place over the last 20years did not even spend 10k on extra maintenance.10k for 20years is an achievement! My parent's place, after staying for 10 years, toilet leak and we did some basic reno at toilet, contractor demanded $10k. Neighbor did reno and changed their wall structure abit and now rain was poured into our front yard. We paid another $5k to construct a rain water shield. Then again roof got a bit of problem and repaired with another $5k. It is the small little repairs here and there and the contractor sparing no thought to charge super high price when they see its a landed property that makes staying in a landed very expensive! Even laying cables from outside into the house cost money! :doh: Very impressed that your parents hardly spent 10k over 20years.

wind30
25-08-11, 00:03
I think staying in landed is cheaper than condo lah. Not as cheap as 10k in 20 years but should be cheaper than Condo monthly maintenance fees.

devilplate
25-08-11, 00:15
I think staying in landed is cheaper than condo lah. Not as cheap as 10k in 20 years but should be cheaper than Condo monthly maintenance fees.
Stay hdb ...cheapest!:D

ysyap
25-08-11, 06:35
Stay hdb ...cheapest!:DIf HDB is super old, it may not be that cheap anymore to maintain the place and to repair the leaks and attend to complains from neighbors about your toilet leaks, etc. Its a headache. LOL!:sleep:

devilplate
25-08-11, 09:13
If HDB is super old, it may not be that cheap anymore to maintain the place and to repair the leaks and attend to complains from neighbors about your toilet leaks, etc. Its a headache. LOL!:sleep:
We r toking about exterior maintenance and maint fees

Interior reno is not included in our discussion rite?

ysyap
25-08-11, 10:25
We r toking about exterior maintenance and maint fees

Interior reno is not included in our discussion rite?Cost of staying in landed include both interior and exterior maintenance. Condo maint fee deals with exterior only and yes interior of condo is not included in the discussion. I would expect when our dear friend mkl22 spoke about $10k extra maintenance, it includes both inside and outside? So if we talk about landed's interior and exterior, we must also include interior of condo and for that matter, HDB too! :D

Rysk
25-08-11, 10:37

On the other hand, will property tax for landed more expensive than non-landed? Or the calculation is still base on value of the property determine by IRAS..

gn108
25-08-11, 10:53
Like Insurance...condo got 'pooling of risk' by paying premiums of monthly fees. Landed can escape this and if lucky, maintenance can be much lower than Condos.

But when roof leaks/gives way eg termites, etc...then owner pays all his own. Painting also - big difference...

To each his own...

Rysk
25-08-11, 10:53
Stay hdb ...cheapest!:D

Think in this topic.. we are like compare between C-Class, 3-series, A4.. so dun bring in a Altis lah.. is out of the topic liao:D

devilplate
25-08-11, 10:55
Cost of staying in landed include both interior and exterior maintenance. Condo maint fee deals with exterior only and yes interior of condo is not included in the discussion. I would expect when our dear friend mkl22 spoke about $10k extra maintenance, it includes both inside and outside? So if we talk about landed's interior and exterior, we must also include interior of condo and for that matter, HDB too! :D
If include both interior n exterior, landed cfm most expensive....bigger space equal higher running cost...dun even nid to discuss at all:p

Hdb cfm cheapest

Landed can b cheap to maintain just like someone mentioned his parents spent less den 10k for 20yrs!:scared-1:

Paint the whole hse on interior n exterior for just a semi d wud easily cost more den 5k oredi....roof maintenance, gate....every 10yrs reno whole hse again wud cost 100k easily too unless u wana continue to stay in a slum.....

gn108
25-08-11, 11:11
Maybe single storey ...do your own painting/1 coat/every 8 years.
Cost of paint - $400. Man-power - Free/cost of vacation time!

Gate - those type you have to get out of your car and use your hand to open? One time cost for 20 years! Paint metallic silver once every 10 yrs.

Roof - if bo tai chi ...no cost there

Many of these ard...more for the lucky oldies who bought before HDB went full on.

If include both interior n exterior, landed cfm most expensive....bigger space equal higher running cost...dun even nid to discuss at all:p

Hdb cfm cheapest

Landed can b cheap to maintain just like someone mentioned his parents spent less den 10k for 20yrs!:scared-1:

Paint the whole hse on interior n exterior for just a semi d wud easily cost more den 5k oredi....roof maintenance, gate....every 10yrs reno whole hse again wud cost 100k easily too unless u wana continue to stay in a slum.....

stl67
25-08-11, 11:31
Maybe single storey ...do your own painting/1 coat/every 8 years.
Cost of paint - $400. Man-power - Free/cost of vacation time!

Gate - those type you have to get out of your car and use your hand to open? One time cost for 20 years! Paint metallic silver once every 10 yrs.

Roof - if bo tai chi ...no cost there

Many of these ard...more for the lucky oldies who bought before HDB went full on.

normally inter terrace painting is easier and should be cheaper because only paint the front and the back. Corner/semd-d is tough as the side is normally very long + boundary along the side + 2nd, 3rd floor ledges and setbacks.

My in-law stays in a inter terrace, so they paint the ground floor front and back by themsleves together with themaid.

mkl22
25-08-11, 11:34
10k for 20years is an achievement! My parent's place, after staying for 10 years, toilet leak and we did some basic reno at toilet, contractor demanded $10k. Neighbor did reno and changed their wall structure abit and now rain was poured into our front yard. We paid another $5k to construct a rain water shield. Then again roof got a bit of problem and repaired with another $5k. It is the small little repairs here and there and the contractor sparing no thought to charge super high price when they see its a landed property that makes staying in a landed very expensive! Even laying cables from outside into the house cost money! :doh: Very impressed that your parents hardly spent 10k over 20years.

the main bulk of the 10k was for repainting. maybe i miscalculated and it was closer to 15k in the end. but still much cheaper than a condo. I DIY and patch up a leaking roof. the exterior was repainted 2 times and interior once. They did add an auto gate later on but this is not really part of maintenance. Other than that nothing much else was done since 1991. and everyone remarks that the place is very well maintained for a 20year old house.

mkl22
25-08-11, 11:37

Hdb cfm cheapest

its no slum la. around 15k and at most 20k is what they have spent.

ysyap
25-08-11, 11:38
Like Insurance...condo got 'pooling of risk' by paying premiums of monthly fees. Landed can escape this and if lucky, maintenance can be much lower than Condos.

But when roof leaks/gives way eg termites, etc...then owner pays all his own. Painting also - big difference...

To each his own...Agreed... if you are a very careful home owner, landed maintenance prob cost less than condo! :D

ysyap
25-08-11, 11:40
the main bulk of the 10k was for repainting. maybe i miscalculated and it was closer to 15k in the end. but still much cheaper than a condo. I DIY and patch up a leaking roof. the exterior was repainted 2 times and interior once. They did add an auto gate later on but this is not really part of maintenance. Other than that nothing much else was done since 1991. and everyone remarks that the place is very well maintained for a 20year old house.Good job to your parents! You can certainly learn from them and save save save! :D

mkl22
25-08-11, 12:43
Cost of staying in landed include both interior and exterior maintenance. Condo maint fee deals with exterior only and yes interior of condo is not included in the discussion. I would expect when our dear friend mkl22 spoke about $10k extra maintenance, it includes both inside and outside? So if we talk about landed's interior and exterior, we must also include interior of condo and for that matter, HDB too! :D

actually i'm talking about exterior only. ie just like the condo maintenance covers the external of the unit.

devilplate
25-08-11, 12:45
Anyway not fair comparison bcoz condo got security guards, cleaners throw rubbish n clean common area for u, maintain pool for u, tennis court, clubhse etc....

U use the clubhse just nid to clear the rubbish urself n cleaning will b done by the cleaners...sames goes to bbq pit usage....

No free lunch in this world n u goto pay for it....if dun nid facilities and wana save money den stay in hdb bestest!:D :p

Landed got lots of diy to do....basically, i m a lazy person and dunwan to become a slave to the hse.....same goes to car.....nvr understand those ppl becoming a slave to their car whrby they r willing to wash their cars every alternate days n wax weekly!

Hse n cars r for us to enjoy!:D :cheers1:

howgozit
25-08-11, 13:11
its no slum la. around 15k and at most 20k is what they have spent.

Hahaha... 10K, 15K.. 20K. number increasing as the thread goes.

Anyway, I don't disagree with you. My experience with Landed and PH is that Landed tend to be lower in maintenance cost.

For the comparison to be meaningful, the interior maintenance costs should be excluded. This leaves only the maintenance cost of the Landed exterior vs the PH conservancy charges. Chances are, Landed is much cheaper.

However, it also depends on the desired level of maintenance by the owner. This is the beauty of landed. Though landscaping (which are initial costs) may cost a bomb, gardening hardly costs anything. Painting is at your discretion, I paint portions of my house as and when I feel like.

As for wear and tear variables like roofing...etc it all depends on your luck and the quality of your builders in the first place. This is no different if you stay in a PH which would be on the top floor, the warranty for the roof/roof terrace is 10 years(if I remember correctly), thereafter its all your own cost as well.

Because Penthouses pay a higher share value than other units, the costs adds up. The upfront conservancy charges pay for both day to day running costs and future costs(sinking fund) as well. And good management practice would require such funds to be in excess so as to cater for contingencies.

So in effect there are 3 components to conservancy costs
1) current running costs
2) future costs holdings
3) contingency costs holdings

That is a bit of triple whammy for a Penthouse because I have to pay a higher share value of these costs.

ysyap
25-08-11, 13:34
Anyway not fair comparison bcoz condo got security guards, cleaners throw rubbish n clean common area for u, maintain pool for u, tennis court, clubhse etc....

U use the clubhse just nid to clear the rubbish urself n cleaning will b done by the cleaners...sames goes to bbq pit usage....

No free lunch in this world n u goto pay for it....if dun nid facilities and wana save money den stay in hdb bestest!:D :p

Landed got lots of diy to do....basically, i m a lazy person and dunwan to become a slave to the hse.....same goes to car.....nvr understand those ppl becoming a slave to their car whrby they r willing to wash their cars every alternate days n wax weekly!

Hse n cars r for us to enjoy!:D :cheers1:Tot you mentioned before you'd want to stay in landed some time but if you're a self professed lazy person, better think twice. Laziness is one of the biggest factor for me to buy condo instead of landed! :cheers1:

Condo Kaiser
25-08-11, 16:09
i feel if you are still stressing about how much maintenence you will need to pay then it means you are living beyond your means.

i never hear from any of my friends living in landed complaint too expensive to paint the house or fix the roof and pay for gardener or higher electricity bills... to them they already factor all these into the cost of living in landed... they only complaint they not enough money to move to a bigger house / GCB.

i also never hear from any of my friends staying in condo say he feel monthly management fee too much, to the point that he feel stay in HDB more worth it... i guess all my friends are all living comfortably at different level of wealth (GCB/Landed/Condo/HDB)

if you are already paying few million for the house, what's 5k/10k/20k/30k (depending on type of property) per year for maintenence? if maintenece cost hurts you.. then you are probably staying in a house too expensive for your level of wealth...

devilplate
25-08-11, 16:25
Tot you mentioned before you'd want to stay in landed some time but if you're a self professed lazy person, better think twice. Laziness is one of the biggest factor for me to buy condo instead of landed! :cheers1:
I want to buy landed doesnt mean i wana stay in it:p

Furthermore, i will hire full time maid or even two, part time gardener etc if i were to stay in landed....so i wud expect my mthly bills to go up...

devilplate
25-08-11, 16:31
i feel if you are still stressing about how much maintenence you will need to pay then it means you are living beyond your means.

i never hear from any of my friends living in landed complaint too expensive to paint the house or fix the roof and pay for gardener or higher electricity bills... to them they already factor all these into the cost of living in landed... they only complaint they not enough money to move to a bigger house / GCB.

i also never hear from any of my friends staying in condo say he feel monthly management fee too much, to the point that he feel stay in HDB more worth it... i guess all my friends are all living comfortably at different level of wealth (GCB/Landed/Condo/HDB)

if you are already paying few million for the house, what's 5k/10k/20k/30k (depending on type of property) per year for maintenence? if maintenece cost hurts you.. then you are probably staying in a house too expensive for your level of wealth...

Totally agree!:cheers6:

Stay landed must enjoy! Mustnt end up becoming a slave to ur house!:p

gn108
25-08-11, 16:41
Some 'stretch' themselves to get the best apartment - but then can't handle the improvement side. Also mind-set plays a part.
Those who Enjoy/Consume the house = no issue of paying to improve.
Those who see their own house/condo as purely as an Investment = might balk at maintenance/improvement cost.

if you are already paying few million for the house, what's 5k/10k/20k/30k (depending on type of property) per year for maintenence? if maintenece cost hurts you.. then you are probably staying in a house too expensive for your level of wealth...[/quote]

Condo Kaiser
25-08-11, 16:55
Totally agree!:cheers6:

Stay landed must enjoy! Mustnt end up becoming a slave to ur house!:p

yes... if i really not very rich... then i rather stay HDB which is nicely renovated than to buy a mass market condo 500m away from the HDB and cry every quarter when i pay maintenece.. then buy curtain also need to think which one cheaper... everythin buy from IKEA....

Condo Kaiser
25-08-11, 16:58
Some 'stretch' themselves to get the best apartment - but then can't handle the improvement side. Also mind-set plays a part.
Those who Enjoy/Consume the house = no issue of paying to improve.
Those who see their own house/condo as purely as an Investment = might balk at maintenance/improvement cost.

Agreed... but i still feel your own roof is something you should not be playing with... your own house must make nice... investment properties can let it be (tht's only if you are talking abt non-prime... renovation plays a big part for alot of prime condo)

gn108
25-08-11, 17:08
Another senario is en-bloc potential properties.
Do you reno to the hilt knowing that your improvements are subject to the other 99% of the share value?
What is an EB property then ...Consumption and Investment?
But you don't have control....in this case landed is better...

Agreed... but i still feel your own roof is something you should not be playing with... your own house must make nice... investment properties can let it be (tht's only if you are talking abt non-prime... renovation plays a big part for alot of prime condo)

Montaigne
25-08-11, 18:12
How do they calculate share value? Based on floor area? Who will pay higher of say one is a 2 bedder penthouse, and the other is 3 bedder non penthouse but the 3 bedder is bigger in area??

devilplate
25-08-11, 18:54
How do they calculate share value? Based on floor area? Who will pay higher of say one is a 2 bedder penthouse, and the other is 3 bedder non penthouse but the 3 bedder is bigger in area??
Based on strata area....

Mabe u can google it

Montaigne
25-08-11, 21:28
Based on strata area....

Mabe u can google it

According to the web:http://www.bca.gov.sg/BMSM/others/Share_Value_Guidelines.pdf

So M I right to say tat the share value starts from the number 5? There is no 1 to 4 share value? So if my share value is 5 means I will be paying the least maintenance fees in that condo and the max should be share value 7. Then not too much diff wat.. It is btw 5 to 7 nia...

wind30
25-08-11, 22:07

not everyone bought their landed expensive what? Some is small inter terrace. Some buy 30 years ago...

Actually a lot of the older generation stay in landed have very low maintenance cost. My inlaw's gate is still manual one. The roof never change before, only repair sometimes.

I find the gardener very expensive leh... so I dun call gardener. Just let it anyhow grow.... anyway my garden also very small.

devilplate
25-08-11, 22:44
According to the web:http://www.bca.gov.sg/BMSM/others/Share_Value_Guidelines.pdf

So M I right to say tat the share value starts from the number 5? There is no 1 to 4 share value? So if my share value is 5 means I will be paying the least maintenance fees in that condo and the max should be share value 7. Then not too much diff wat.. It is btw 5 to 7 nia...
Start from 5 but dun end at 7

Mulitples of 50sqm

kingkong1984
25-08-11, 23:22

Mulitples of 50sqm

if 1 share is $40.. the difference between 5 and 7 is a cool $80 dollars out of $200 - $280.

Thats 40% more from $200.

Montaigne
26-08-11, 13:15

Mulitples of 50sqm

I am assuming in todays market mostly MMs so rarely have devt getting share value 8 :p