PDA

View Full Version : My next door unit has been Vacant for months

Piglet
31-08-11, 01:18
Just really curious about something.

I moved into my studio apartment in April this year.
While I was renovating the place in march, I saw the tenants next door moving out. and I've been concerned who will my new neighbours be.

But almost 6 months later today, the 2 bedroom unit next door is still vacant!

Out of curiousity, I tried to search online and on classifieds to see if this unit is in the market for sale or rental, but its not leh.
I stay home a lot and also never seen anybody come for viewing.

I'm staying in a 10 year old apartment and the location is pretty good.

As much as i enjoy the peace and quiet, I am also super curious why the owner of the unit will leave it vacant for so long??

any ideas?

DaytonaSS
31-08-11, 01:37
got any odd smell?

Regulators
31-08-11, 01:48
Which condo are you living in? Maybe the owner find it too troublesome to rent out and decided to keep it vacant. Not everyone needs that extra cash unless you know the financial situation of the owner

mygeemeel
31-08-11, 02:37
Bad history in this unit?

Piglet
31-08-11, 03:01
Actually its kind of silly to ask here since there could be so many reasons.

Just a little creepy when I think about it.

hahha.

Do u guys see a lot of vacant units around?? Not those newly TOP ones la.

zzz1
31-08-11, 06:06
Actually its kind of silly to ask here since there could be so many reasons.

Just a little creepy when I think about it.

hahha.

Do u guys see a lot of vacant units around?? Not those newly TOP ones la.
I had seen unit vacant for years upon TOP. And onwer just hold on t the key

ysyap
31-08-11, 07:43
The owner was a renegade trying to escape the arms of the law so temporarily take cover overseas for couple of months before things get sorted out. Cannot rent out because it will inevitably reveal his identity! :p

solsys
31-08-11, 09:10
Call the cops!

Petersim
31-08-11, 09:29
Just really curious about something.

I moved into my studio apartment in April this year.
While I was renovating the place in march, I saw the tenants next door moving out. and I've been concerned who will my new neighbours be.

But almost 6 months later today, the 2 bedroom unit next door is still vacant!

Out of curiousity, I tried to search online and on classifieds to see if this unit is in the market for sale or rental, but its not leh.
I stay home a lot and also never seen anybody come for viewing.

I'm staying in a 10 year old apartment and the location is pretty good.

As much as i enjoy the peace and quiet, I am also super curious why the owner of the unit will leave it vacant for so long??

any ideas?

If your condo is near the good schools; IE. Bukit Timah stretch, your next door neighbour could have bought the apartment for the address to register their child into primary school. Their main residence could be somewhere else. Once they get into the school of choice, many would leave their apartment empty so as not to break the minimum occupancy period criterion as required by the MOE/school (believe its 2 years from date of successful admission to school). Renting the place out during that time period is also technically breaking the MOE criterion policy, so for those who are financially able, will choose to leave the place empty for the 2 years. My 2 cents...

stalingrad
31-08-11, 10:14
you hear mysterious noises at night from the unit next door, like someone crying for help or howling for justice?

a more likely reason is that the owner doesn't want to rent it to some yahoo and have it vandalized.

ysyap
31-08-11, 10:24
Another likely reason is the unit is finally sold after 5 months so its no longer in the market for sale but still need another month or two for the legal proceedings before new owners move in? Just wait another 2 months then feedback again! :o

azeoprop
31-08-11, 10:25
Drill a hole in the wall and your studio can become a 3 bedroom unit for free! :p

Yin Yin
31-08-11, 10:35
You guys have a great sense of humor...I like this thread!

stalingrad
31-08-11, 11:07
peek in the window. can you see a pair of feet off the floor dangling at the window?

take a close look at the doorway. See any mysterious liquid oozing from inside the unit?

take a whiff of the air. do you smell anything that smacks of dead bodies at the tsunami site in Japan?

ysyap
31-08-11, 13:25
Are you sure the owners have moved out? Have they packed everything and left? Did they leave Boo Radley behind and just feed him from the windows once everyday? :tsk-tsk:

irisng
31-08-11, 13:38
Maybe either one of them is posted overseas for work (could be 1 or 2yrs or more), so the whole family follows, therefore temporary leave the house vacant. Do not want to rent out to avoid any unnecessary trouble from unreasonable tenants.:cool:Afterall they don't need the rental money to survive.:D

buttercarp
31-08-11, 13:41
Don't worry, after 5 months if no smell coming out from there, you are quite safe.I have got friends who are overseas and they leave their house empty so that when they get back, they can stay there.
Also got a few rich ones that leave a few of the condos vacant and they treat it like their holiday home.

You may like to drop a card eg christmas card later in their mail box and you may get a reply.

RSG
31-08-11, 13:46
On a serious note, you can approach the Management Corporation to enquire about your next door unit. They will be able to advice whether owner is paying the maintenance fees or has the owner absconded without trace.

yjcai
31-08-11, 20:50
It is not that I am dam bull but read the scary article.

Out of 6 million in sg 129000 such individuals have avg 5.7 million / person 2.15% of the population.

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_707984.html

Geylang OKT
31-08-11, 23:11
Your next door unit is empty precisely for a reason - i.e. apt is used for depositing the bodies of the homeless folks and other vagabonds after harvesting their organs ;) ;) :D

Piglet
31-08-11, 23:38
Drill a hole in the wall and your studio can become a 3 bedroom unit for free! :p

I like this Idea!!

Actually I hope it will stay Empty cos Its so peaceful now.

Depite it being empty, the lights are always on at night.

Waste electricity leh....

No smell so most likey no bodies without organs....

But the layer of dust on the gate (partly contributed by my renovation) is getting thicker and thicker. Got spider webs too...

Its quite stupid if I go clean it rite?

hyenergix
31-08-11, 23:44
I like this Idea!!

But the layer of dust on the gate (partly contributed by my renovation) is getting thicker and thicker. Got spider webs too...

Owner is still ard? Something cld have happened to him or her outside e hse.

azeoprop
31-08-11, 23:49
Owner is still ard? Something cld have happened to him or her outside e hse.

One of the dead bodies found in reservoirs in the recent weeks? :scared-1:

Geylang OKT
01-09-11, 07:04
The owner chould be harbouring a sex slave the apt and visit her only in the dead of the night! :scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1:

ysyap
01-09-11, 07:55
The owner chould be harbouring a sex slave the apt and visit her only in the dead of the night! :scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1:Did you provide that slave and so you know? :D

irisng
01-09-11, 08:32
Could it be that the owner had forgotten to switch off the light when moving out. During day time, you couldn't see the light on because it is bright. Is the light on since the day the owner moved out or only occasionally?

stalingrad
01-09-11, 09:33
I like this Idea!!

No, I think a house with lights on at night but no residents is the spookiest thing.

SpinCity
01-09-11, 10:05
No, I think a house with lights on at night but no residents is the spookiest thing.

I think a house with "residents" but no lights on at night is spookier

01-09-11, 10:15
maybe you can try cooking a pot of curry and see whether there is any response. :rolleyes:

Laguna
01-09-11, 10:19
not surprise, there are units in my condo have been empty since TOP 3.5 years back. One Indonesia neighour told me that she keeps the unit just for stay in Sg...and she have so many in Sg, take turn to stay...

if u c OneAmber, u can see unit did not even install the balcony light and curtain as well

ysyap
01-09-11, 12:48
Don't worry lah... someone is still staying in there. He seldom goes out in the day time so you don't see him around. He's just very lazy so don't clean up the corridor and stuff! :o

irisng
01-09-11, 20:12
Out of curiosity, maybe you can check with the management to see whether is the house vacant or not.

wind30
01-09-11, 22:08
My neighbour unit is also empty. It is a terrace unit.

The owner's son comes back like one every two weeks. They hold a party during chinese new year where the entire clan gather.

I like it that way. Super quiet. No car anyhow park.

Geylang OKT
01-09-11, 22:34
not surprise, there are units in my condo have been empty since TOP 3.5 years back. One Indonesia neighour told me that she keeps the unit just for stay in Sg...and she have so many in Sg, take turn to stay...

if u c OneAmber, u can see unit did not even install the balcony light and curtain as well

Places not inhabited will attract unclean spirits to stay there. This is not a joke though. :scared-4:

jwong71
01-09-11, 22:48
Places not inhabited will attract unclean spirits to stay there. This is not a joke though. :scared-4:

you right. my unit at the infiniti left vacant for months,while on sale.
doesn't smell and feel good whenever i return to check it out. buyers could tell that it were left vacant and don't have a pleasant feeling about it.
阴气很重,没什么阳气

Piglet
01-09-11, 22:57
Oh No!

I only noticed the lights were on when i went jogging one nite.

After which wheneverI see the unit from outside at night, the lights were always on.Curtains were closed so cannot see inside. But i am very very sure its vacant.

Maybe owner leave lights on to keep out Ah piaos??

I also agree that unoccupied unit 阴气很重. dunno will affect me or not!

kingkong1984
01-09-11, 23:11
There is such a thing called timer.

Read this

http://propertylaunch.sg/propertynews/condo-seeks-courts-nod-to-break-into-unit/

Not the first case, luxury condo get it too.

jwong71
01-09-11, 23:33
Oh No!

I only noticed the lights were on when i went jogging one nite.

After which wheneverI see the unit from outside at night, the lights were always on.Curtains were closed so cannot see inside. But i am very very sure its vacant.

Maybe owner leave lights on to keep out Ah piaos??

I also agree that unoccupied unit 阴气很重. dunno will affect me or not!

my unit was a 2-units sharing a floor.
i wonder if urs is the same, 2units on a level? it's sure exciting when u go back home late night:D

Piglet
01-09-11, 23:45
Sighz I really envy ppl with so much money to buy a unit and leave it empty.

My guess is that woman said in the news probabaly
1) married someone super rich and migrate somewhere else

2) Died

ysyap
02-09-11, 07:45
Sighz I really envy ppl with so much money to buy a unit and leave it empty.

My guess is that woman said in the news probabaly
1) married someone super rich and migrate somewhere else

2) DiedWhy keep guessing? The next time at night you see the lights on, just go press the bell and wait for a reply. Your question may well be answered once for all! :D

focus
02-09-11, 13:14
Why keep guessing? The next time at night you see the lights on, just go press the bell and wait for a reply. Your question may well be answered once for all! :D

This one really take guts.
Do it at night.. when you thought it's vacant.. and you press the doorbell..and ... the door knob turns and unlocked.. and...you wait for the door to open but it never does... so you stand at the door..waiting.... and waiting...

ysyap
02-09-11, 13:38
Do it at night.. when you thought it's vacant.. and you press the doorbell..and ... the door knob turns and unlocked.. and...you wait for the door to open but it never does... so you stand at the door..waiting.... and waiting...Stop scaring him. The worse case scenario is he'll never live to tell the tale.... oops! Just joking... :D Let us know again! :p

mygeemeel
02-09-11, 13:50
Your next door unit is empty precisely for a reason - i.e. apt is used for depositing the bodies of the homeless folks and other vagabonds after harvesting their organs ;) ;) :D

wah, scary. Any firesale yet? :D :D

fclim
02-09-11, 14:55
Do it at night.. when you thought it's vacant.. and you press the doorbell..and ... the door knob turns and unlocked.. and...you wait for the door to open but it never does... so you stand at the door..waiting.... and waiting...

..and then you felt a slight tap on your shoulder. As you turn, you are met with a chilly wind blowing into your face. But, there is no one there....:scared-1: :scared-1:

land118
02-09-11, 14:59
..and then you felt a slight tap on your shoulder. As you turn, you are met with a chilly wind blowing into your face. But, there is no one there....:scared-1: :scared-1:
End up..whole floor fire sale...:D

ysyap
02-09-11, 15:50
End up..whole floor fire sale...:DVolcano sale also no one will buy! :p

land118
02-09-11, 16:39
Volcano sale also no one will buy! :p
Sell to Foreigners..., whole floor....:D

mygeemeel
02-09-11, 18:03
Volcano sale also no one will buy! :p

I will buy bcos my mum is bomoh, dad is priest, brother is exorcist and sister is from MCST.

ysyap
02-09-11, 23:03
I will buy bcos my mum is bomoh, dad is priest, brother is exorcist and sister is from MCST.Interesting family! :o

irisng
03-09-11, 00:01
Don't scare him lah. The fastest way to clear the doubt is to check with the management to see whether the unit is vacant or not. If they say it is vacant, tell them about the light that you saw in the night and see what they say. Maybe they can help you to solve the puzzle.:spliff:

Keep guessing here and there will make you more worry and you might not be able to sleep well.:sleep:

Geylang OKT
03-09-11, 00:22
aiyoh! oooh kui arsi bor kui ahhhh!!!??? :scared-4: :scared-4: :scared-4: :scared-4: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

mygeemeel
03-09-11, 03:18
Why don't you disclose location to us? I'm sure someone will help to investigate for you.

Geylang OKT
03-09-11, 05:29
For peace of mind why donch you stick some talismans on their door? :D :D :D

Piglet
23-09-11, 05:26
Wah Lau! Today I just realised my Direct Upstairs Neighbour ( also Studio unit) Have been vacant for 7 months!!

Upstairs and next door combined 阴气,power leh!

ysyap
23-09-11, 07:41
Wah Lau! Today I just realised my Direct Upstairs Neighbour ( also Studio unit) Have been vacant for 7 months!!

Upstairs and next door combined 阴气,power leh!Where on earth do you stay? Matilda House?

irisng
23-09-11, 08:19

Upstairs and next door combined 阴气,power leh!

Did you feel anything uneasy, have unpleasant smell or noises in the middle of the night from your vacant neighbours since you shifted in? If not, better don't frighten yourself. It could be that they have been shifted to somewhere else and either could not find a tenant or sell their units. :tsk-tsk:

azeoprop
23-09-11, 08:51
Good time to expand your studio to a loft unit haa haa.... :rolleyes:

focus
23-09-11, 16:22
Did you feel anything uneasy, have unpleasant smell or noises in the middle of the night from your vacant neighbours since you shifted in? If not, better don't frighten yourself. It could be that they have been shifted to somewhere else and either could not find a tenant or sell their units. :tsk-tsk:

Walau.. if piglet says it's the unit next door PLUS unit above his/hers that are vacant... then... we can safely conclude no ghost.

We should now ask piglet the question of whether any unpleasant smell or noises in his/her unit. :) ..hehe..

devilplate
23-09-11, 16:28
Walau.. if piglet says it's the unit next door PLUS unit above his/hers that are vacant... then... we can safely conclude no ghost.

We should now ask piglet the question of whether any unpleasant smell or noises in his/her unit. :) ..hehe..
Piglet is the one?:scared-1:

bargain hunter
23-09-11, 16:47
hahaha hilarious. recent ghost movies have depicted such cases.

howgozit
23-09-11, 20:43
For me, the last thing I would worry about are ghosts. No offence, I'll be more concerned about the desirabilty of the property as a residence and hence its value, rentability and liquidity.

Unoccupied premises are also prone to infestation of rodents and insects especially landed homes. This devalues the property even more.....:scared-3:

Piglet
24-10-11, 14:13
Just an update,
New tenants moved in...

Started a new thread to share my "Joy"

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=12269

Gua gua......

ysyap
24-10-11, 16:24
Your side neighbor or upstairs neighbor?

Piglet
24-10-11, 19:17
Side neighbour,.
(Penthouse plan still got chance.)

Anyway just to be clear, I GUA GUA not becasue I don't like Indian neighbours. Its becasue I had been enjoying the peace and quiet being neighbourless so now got neighbours liao a bit sian.

howgozit
24-10-11, 20:28
Just an update,
New tenants moved in...

Started a new thread to share my "Joy"
http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=12269
Gua gua......

Anyway just to be clear, I GUA GUA not becasue I don't like Indian neighbours. Its becasue I had been enjoying the peace and quiet being neighbourless so now got neighbours liao a bit sian.

I think your other thread has gone to the dogs. It has become a racial bashing thread even though it may not have been your intention. .

When I was living and working overseas, I was very proud of my "racially harmonious and tolerant" homeland Singapore. I used to boast to my ang mo neighbours and co-workers in my host country about how we lived, studied, work and did NS together in Singapore.

Reading some of the remarks on the other thread does not make me very proud now, I feel very ashamed.

ysyap
24-10-11, 20:39
Side neighbour,.
(Penthouse plan still got chance.)

Anyway just to be clear, I GUA GUA not becasue I don't like Indian neighbours. Its becasue I had been enjoying the peace and quiet being neighbourless so now got neighbours liao a bit sian.I distinctly remembered that you were so freaked out earlier when you were hearing noises coming from the walls.. now you are uncomfortable when new neighbors moved in? :confused: Anyway, congrats on the fact that any sounds will not be freakish anymore! :cheers1:

Geylang OKT
24-10-11, 22:27
donch be happy so quickly. check out your neighbours when they walk - if their feet fully touch the ground :D

Piglet
24-10-11, 23:45
I distinctly remembered that you were so freaked out earlier when you were hearing noises coming from the walls.. now you are uncomfortable when new neighbors moved in? :confused: Anyway, congrats on the fact that any sounds will not be freakish anymore! :cheers1:

Hahah I wasn't freaked out by any noise la. Someone else said that.

my first post I stated that I enjoyed the peace and quiet very much.
Just curious Why People will leave apartment empty for so long.

Then a lot of funny people here start to talk about the possibility of it being haunted, Noises, Dead bodies... hahahahha

now just gotta see upstairs how . If I can still live my penhouse dream....

ysyap
25-10-11, 07:56
Just drill a hole through your ceiling and build a stairway and wala, you are living in a double storey penthouse. Just cover back when new tenants move in! :D

peterng8
25-10-11, 13:50
donch be happy so quickly. check out your neighbours when they walk - if their feet fully touch the ground :D

of course their feet is slightly lifted and walk on tip toe.. this is due to gravity pulling them forward because of their their big B**bs :D :D(must be bigger than your avatar picture)