PDA

View Full Version : When will we see a significant price correction .... or wont we ?

hk2313
12-09-11, 16:33
In your opinion, when will the trouble on the wordlwide stock markets and the banking problems start to " hit " the real etstate market in Singapore ?
My guess is that if we do not see any improvements, pricing will start to really slide latest in November ..... but other ppl thnk of course that everybody is so afraid of inflation, that property can only be stable or go up, regaesless of the rest of the markets...what do you think ?

amk
12-09-11, 16:58
UOB Kay Hian says: "Residential property prices will fall 8%-10% over the next year".
;)

westman
12-09-11, 17:04
Not forgetting we will see more BTO and 17 GLS for 2011H2...
More downside to come in 2012Q1...:(

3C
12-09-11, 17:51
patience, coming already.. but many have holding power and developers have accumulated lots of reserve for the last few years ...so..be patience
maybe end 2012 .. maybe...be patience:sleep:

ysyap
12-09-11, 18:37
No one knows for sure but even if housing prices fall by 10%, it is still above the highs of 2008. Then again anything can happen! I have 2 simple questions in light of the impending troubles reaching our shores.

1. In a time when stocks are so volatile and housing prices may see a dip in years to come, is gold a viable investment portfolio?

2. The 2008/9 recession lasted a little more than 1 year only and it was primarily stemmed from USA. Now, with Europe in the picture, will the expected recession (if it ever happens) stretch beyond 2 years? Everyone is talking about 2012 being the start of the down so will it clear up by 2015? Some even argue that we are still in the midst of the previous recession so it is actually a double dip but whatever the argument, how long will the down last before positive signs kick in?

ysyap
12-09-11, 18:38
patience, coming already.. but many have holding power and developers have accumulated lots of reserve for the last few years ...so..be patience
maybe end 2012 .. maybe...be patience:sleep:Have been patience for very long already!!! How long more? 2012/2013/2014? No one knows for sure! :D

Allthepies
12-09-11, 19:22
Have been patience for very long already!!! How long more? 2012/2013/2014? No one knows for sure! :D
most good units will always appear "expensive" with respect to the market codition at that time. as long as u can see the potential can buy already. tat the case for us when we bought our unit, at all time high for tat developmet. but now we smiling to the bank : )

revhappy
12-09-11, 19:24
I can see a price correction already. Earlier when I did search on propertyguru for already built condos under 800K I hardly found any. Now I can see some.

Check this out:

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/6218575/for-sale-regent-heights

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/6218454/for-sale-northvale

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/6218394/for-sale-ballota-park-condo

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/6215938/for-sale-optima-tanah-merah

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/6212493/for-sale-melville-park

revhappy
12-09-11, 19:36
I am not saying that the above prices are damn cheap, but atleast now lots of listings have come up. The above listings are all for today, which means owners have started realizing that downturn can come anytime and have started calling their agents :D

This is the beginning. :cheers1:

DaytonaSS
12-09-11, 19:39
I can see a price correction already. Earlier when I did search on propertyguru for already built condos under 800K I hardly found any. Now I can see some.

Check this out:

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/6218575/for-sale-regent-heights

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/6218454/for-sale-northvale

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/6218394/for-sale-ballota-park-condo

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/6215938/for-sale-optima-tanah-merah

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/6212493/for-sale-melville-park

I believe correction means prices done rather than advertised....

revhappy
12-09-11, 19:44
Few more :D

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/6211925/for-sale-orchid-park-condo

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/6211429/for-sale-maysprings

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/6210750/for-sale-parc-elegance

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/4625600/for-sale-vetro

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/6209309/for-sale-euphony-gardens

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/6209239/for-sale-regent-grove

revhappy
12-09-11, 19:45

These prices are actually less than what they were 6 months back. Also, surely those prices are negotiable. Agents jack up prices atleast 20%. If nobody calls them surely they will go for 20% lesser :D

chiaberry
12-09-11, 19:51
My agent told me rental market is scary. Owners finding v. difficult to rent out. She had a unit at Marbella to rent and no takers for quite a long time. One unit at Equatorial also empty for 3 months. I didn't ask her how much rent was asking but knowing this agent, she won't be advising her client for sky-high rent.

Maybe the tenants are moving out to OCR???

East Lover
12-09-11, 19:53
These prices are actually less than what they were 6 months back. Also, surely those prices are negotiable. Agents jack up prices atleast 20%. If nobody calls them surely they will go for 20% lesser :D
But they are either ground floor units or far far away place :scared-4:

3C
12-09-11, 20:21
In general the golden cow ship is departing, those dreamers esp resale units with so so location still waiting for sky high profit can kiss good bye and miss the ship. Soon many will rush for the ship when reality strucks:D

New development will still have sometime to go due to liquity & low interest rate..But then the world now is different, everything can happened overnight.. That's the price to pay for information technology
where news used to filtered down in months can reach us within seconds:doh:

devilplate
12-09-11, 20:24
My agent told me rental market is scary. Owners finding v. difficult to rent out. She had a unit at Marbella to rent and no takers for quite a long time. One unit at Equatorial also empty for 3 months. I didn't ask her how much rent was asking but knowing this agent, she won't be advising her client for sky-high rent.

Rental isit above 5k?

stalingrad
12-09-11, 20:46

my friend's casabella is still waiting for renters, after being on the market for almost 10 months.

chiaberry
12-09-11, 21:00
my friend's casabella is still waiting for renters, after being on the market for almost 10 months.

jialat.

devilplate: Yes rental is above 5K. Apparently tenants are v. price sensitive these days (the fat expat packages are becoming extinct). Units asking for 3K can still rent out but 4K getting difficult and 5K almost impossible. That's for 3-bedders. Those who bought at sky-high prices are going to get a shock when TOP comes and there are just too many units. My agent already told me there are too many units now. Let alone in 2 or 3 years time down the road. The future does not look rosy for investment property.

Regulators
12-09-11, 21:32
Can't your friend accept a lower rental?

DaytonaSS
12-09-11, 21:43
Can't your friend accept a lower rental?

10 mths, that says alot about freehold condo not near to transport modes for rental.

It also says alot about the lousy agent. Time to change!

terence
12-09-11, 21:44
i won't be banging on a down market to enter the market. In any times, i believe there will be value buys, it's up to the individual to sieve it out :)

DaytonaSS
12-09-11, 21:53

like i shared, properties not near to mrt, freehold or not, good luck to them. HDB n LH 99 @ MRT will still command the best rental yield.

With MRT all over the place in next 10 years, the lousy location developments will only face more n more competition.

The above refers to rental properties, own self stay one as long as one likes the ulu enviroment, also doesnt matter. It could be a preference for individuals.

sh
12-09-11, 22:13
10 mths, that says alot about freehold condo not near to transport modes for rental.

It also says alot about the lousy agent. Time to change!

10 months empty says the asking rental is too high...:doh:

There's always takers at the right price.... Basic theory of demand and supply.

DaytonaSS
12-09-11, 22:17
http://forums.condosingapore.com/http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp192/A3Silvereye/property/Future_MRT_LRT_SystemMap.jpghttp://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp192/A3Silvereye/property/Future_MRT_LRT_SystemMap.jpg

its pretty clear, up to 2020. For investment purpose, to milk the FT thats coming our way, its either within walking distance , or its not. Crystal clear!

Since we cannot stop them from coming, make sure we welcome them into our nice cosy little houses.

Santro
12-09-11, 22:22
Seeing the previous comment on Marbella, dont think the location matters here. Marbella is a very good location within walking distance to Dover MRT, less than 1km from Henry Park primary. Close to Holland V and still freehold. Went to see a few units there, quite a few ang moh expats there.
Looks like obvious signs of slowdown :scared-1: .

like i shared, properties not near to mrt, freehold or not, good luck to them. HDB n LH 99 @ MRT will still command the best rental yield.

With MRT all over the place in next 10 years, the lousy location developments will only face more n more competition.

The above refers to rental properties, own self stay one as long as one likes the ulu enviroment, also doesnt matter. It could be a preference for individuals.

DaytonaSS
12-09-11, 22:22
The 2 "feng shu" canoe paddles on the far right seems red hot now! All new launches there seems fast n furious!!!

ecimbew
12-09-11, 22:29
jialat.

devilplate: Yes rental is above 5K. Apparently tenants are v. price sensitive these days (the fat expat packages are becoming extinct). Units asking for 3K can still rent out but 4K getting difficult and 5K almost impossible. That's for 3-bedders. Those who bought at sky-high prices are going to get a shock when TOP comes and there are just too many units. My agent already told me there are too many units now. Let alone in 2 or 3 years time down the road. The future does not look rosy for investment property.

Need some advise here. Gurus, what do you think of a 3-bedder 1400 sq ft double storey low floor apartment very near Kembagan MRT renting for $3k a month? Is it cheap? Or is it expensive?

devilplate
12-09-11, 22:32
Need some advise here. Gurus, what do you think of a 3-bedder 1400 sq ft double storey low floor apartment very near Kembagan MRT renting for $3k a month? Is it cheap? Or is it expensive?
State the project name

DaytonaSS
12-09-11, 22:36
Seeing the previous comment on Marbella, dont think the location matters here. Marbella is a very good location within walking distance to Dover MRT, less than 1km from Henry Park primary. Close to Holland V and still freehold. Went to see a few units there, quite a few ang moh expats there.
Looks like obvious signs of slowdown :scared-1: .

more likely policies doesnt favor resale properties. new launches still seems chill hot. ATT , meyerise, treasure, EuHab all get tons of sales. Resales looks dead though.

Marbella looks like a good property, pretty good rental from URA figures, 4.5 psf medium rental. pretty big units by today's standard. The greenery facing units on High floor looks good! Quantum is the killer factor.

think the post election PAP approach is the wet blanket. Super tightening of FT inflow is killing sentiments.

devilplate
12-09-11, 22:40
more likely policies doesnt favor resale properties. new launches still seems chill hot. ATT , meyerise, treasure, EuHab all get tons of sales. Resales looks dead though.

Marbella looks like a good property, pretty good rental from URA figures, 4.5 psf medium rental. pretty big units by today's standard. The greenery facing units on High floor looks good! Quantum is the killer factor.

think the post election PAP approach is the wet blanket. Super tightening of FT inflow is killing sentiments.
But tot we r toking abt rental here?

I tink the issue lies on the rental quantum....above 5k rental is tough

DaytonaSS
12-09-11, 22:49
But tot we r toking abt rental here?

I tink the issue lies on the rental quantum....above 5k rental is tough

apparently PAPs is bring in too much of the wrg FT. Need to adjust S pass to 2k means too much of the wrg FT. Bring in those whom can easily afford 5k rental ones!

Send all the bankers our way, all over the world man bring them here. Help our 5k rental market segment!

hyenergix
12-09-11, 22:58
jialat.

Here's my views

1. Pte condo rentals had already peaked in Q2-Q3 this year. 2012 onwards will be worse as many projects will TOP earlier. HDB rental will be recession proof, as evident by more Ang Mos in HDB estates.

2. Next year the regional economy will not be so rosy, so property price generally will remain stagnant. A correction of more than 10% is unlikely unless we have massive retrenchments. Moreover hot money will continue to pour in.

3. Buy FH/999 LH condo near MRT for own stay is the best. Keep and rent out the HDBs because demand will increase if there is a recession.

4. Continue to work harder to keep your job, and go for skills upgrading to remain relevant.

5. Economy most likely will recover in 2015, so time your purchase well.

radha08
12-09-11, 23:10
Here's my views

1. Pte condo rentals had already peaked in Q2-Q3 this year. 2012 onwards will be worse as many projects will TOP earlier. HDB rental will be recession proof, as evident by more Ang Mos in HDB estates.

2. Next year the regional economy will not be so rosy, so property price generally will remain stagnant. A correction of more than 10% is unlikely unless we have massive retrenchments. Moreover hot money will continue to pour in.

3. Buy FH/999 LH condo near MRT for own stay is the best. Keep and rent out the HDBs because demand will increase if there is a recession.

4. Continue to work harder to keep your job, and go for skills upgrading to remain relevant.

5. Economy most likely will recover in 2015, so time your purchase well.

makes a lot of sense...:)

DaytonaSS
12-09-11, 23:30
makes a lot of sense...:)

bro, your unit sold for record price???

zzz1
13-09-11, 00:20
Yap. Is just an invitation to treat. Not amounting to an offer or a consideration .

ysyap
13-09-11, 06:41
Here's my views

5. Economy most likely will recover in 2015, so time your purchase well.Point 5 is the most important in terms of property transaction. If need to buy, buy before 2015 or at the latest, early 2015. If need to sell, wait till at least end 2015 or even 2016 when prices climb up again! That is if economy really recover in 2015. I think 2015 is a decent guess! If recessions starts in 2012, then recovery may start as early as 2014 too. :spliff:

Allthepies
13-09-11, 07:50
dont know if im just lucky, my unit just secured a new 2 years lease @ $200 higher, another record for my estate, 11days after my old tenant left : )

ysyap
13-09-11, 07:53
dont know if im just lucky, my unit just secured a new 2 years lease @ $200 higher, another record for my estate, 11days after my old tenant left : )Wah. Your tenant still willing to go for 2 years? He's not working in the banking sector. :o

proud owner
13-09-11, 08:11
just heard the most ridiculous thing from an agent friend last night ...

he was helping to rent out a 818 sqft 2 bedder at Suites@Central

damn good location ..

last tenant paid $4.8k pm and he found a new tenant for him at $5.3k ...and only partial furnished ..

the LOI was submitted ... normal practise 3 days for landlord to reply .. but this landlord took a week already and still no reply ..saying he has 10 agents ( including my friend) working for him to rent out that unit ..
and he is holding back on the LOI becos he thinks can get $5.4k FKING 100 more only ..

and this landlord owns 3 units there ..of various sizes ..

my friend was so angry he advised the tenant to look elsewhere .. and warned his fellow agent colleague to be aware of this landlord ...

penny wise pound foolish landlord

Allthepies
13-09-11, 08:29
Wah. Your tenant still willing to go for 2 years? He's not working in the banking sector. :o

non banking :D

Allthepies
13-09-11, 08:30

yup that's a very good description of that owner:doh:

DC33_2008
13-09-11, 10:21
Surprise to know that can only fetch $3K. Thought there is someone who said that a new MM unit can fetch $2000 rental.

devilplate
13-09-11, 12:24
Surprise to know that can only fetch $3K. Thought there is someone who said that a new MM unit can fetch $2000 rental.

u dun even noe the project name and state of condition and shdnt comment any further

if its an old walk up apt without any facilities, 3k is quite ex....nearby 5rm flat cost about 2.5k with lift

mm over that area not even near mrt r rented out at least 2.3k.....some r selling wif tenancy

so u dun have to depend on hearsay from this forum....jus contact a few agts to get the real rental market out there:D

devilplate
13-09-11, 12:30

damn good location ..

last tenant paid $4.8k pm and he found a new tenant for him at $5.3k ...and only partial furnished ..

the LOI was submitted ... normal practise 3 days for landlord to reply .. but this landlord took a week already and still no reply ..saying he has 10 agents ( including my friend) working for him to rent out that unit ..
and he is holding back on the LOI becos he thinks can get $5.4k FKING 100 more only ..

my friend was so angry he advised the tenant to look elsewhere .. and warned his fellow agent colleague to be aware of this landlord ...

i dun tink its due to tat $100 rental diff

it must smthing else.....mabe not so keen to rent out(trying to sell actually) or not willing to pay comm or the tenant profile is not suitable or he dun like ur agent

tat owner must be quite a seasoned player to own 3 units ....so dun tink he is pound foolish

ysyap
13-09-11, 12:32

damn good location ..

penny wise pound foolish landlordThat landlord is not an honorable person! :tsk-tsk:

devilplate
13-09-11, 12:35
That landlord is not an honorable person! :tsk-tsk:

actually nothing wrong wif tat owner....anyway the story is one sided from tat agent only and we all know tat agent r full of lies and gd at twisting facts

LOI usually got 3days expiry wat....so nothing wrong for owner to sit on it and let it lapse rite?

i highly suspect the reason is tat owner bey song tat agt....whahaha

i ever accept a lower rental from another agt instead of the higher one(diff of $200) simply bcoz the other agt got serious attitude problem

CCR
13-09-11, 12:59
Have been patience for very long already!!! How long more? 2012/2013/2014? No one knows for sure! :D

Mr Kwek from CDL say when prices go up people buy more when prices come down people scared and dare not buy.... so if prices really drop, make sure you dare to commit.... :D

Regulators
13-09-11, 13:05
Landlord must see who tenant is also, if ang moh our japanese tenant offering 5.3k and parapoondek tenant offering 5.4k, I will still go for the 5.3k for peace of mind.

damn good location ..

Jonathan0503
13-09-11, 13:22

Maybe you can try? Or better, ask for 50% discount?:D

Alan Shearer
13-09-11, 19:59
If it drops 10% SSD will drop.

So then it goes up again.

Back to where we are today by September 2012.:)

revhappy
13-09-11, 20:17
Landlord must see who tenant is also, if ang moh our japanese tenant offering 5.3k and parapoondek tenant offering 5.4k, I will still go for the 5.3k for peace of mind.

This is the second time you have used the word Parapoondek. What does it mean?:beats-me-man:

TKT
13-09-11, 20:22

Telok Indah???

If yes, this is an old walk-up.
If you are getting the upper units, it means walking 4 flights of stairs up and down daily, not counting those stair inside the unit.

We had considered buying this place last year when a good unblocked north-south unit was offered.
No facilities except carpark, some sheltered, some open and security.

The best feature is the location as it is really close to Kembangan MRT and lots of nice food in vicinity.
One point though, it is right behind a large mosque, so may not be suitable for some folks.

I think its suitable for young couple without kids or family with teenagers.
Not too suitable for couples with young kids/baby as would be quite tiring with the walk-up, nor is it suitable if you have elderly folks.
I'm pretty fit and even I find the climb a bit of a hassle...

In the end, having considered all, we passed the offer and i think it was eventually sold for slightly less than $800k.

For rental, $3000 is about right for this project ($2800-3200?), been at this level in recent few years... :cheers6: :cheers6: :cheers6: ... the competition of cos would be the mushrooming of apartments all over Telok Kurau and some of these are going to TOP soon too!

Good luck! :2cents:

DC33_2008
13-09-11, 20:29
[QNow I know why. UOTE=TKT]Telok Indah???

If you are getting the upper units, it means walking 4 flights of stairs up and down daily, not counting those stair inside the unit.

We had considered buying this place last year when a good unblocked north-south unit was offered.

The best feature is the location as it is really close to Kembangan MRT and lots of nice food in vicinity.
One point though, it is right behind a large mosque, so may not be suitable for some folks.

Not too suitable for couples with young kids/baby as would be quite tiring with the walk-up, nor is it suitable if you have elderly folks.

In the end, having considered all, we passed the offer and i think it was eventually sold for slightly less than $800k.

For rental, $3000 is about right for this project ($2800-3200?), been at this level in recent few years... :cheers6: :cheers6: :cheers6: ... the competition of cos would be the mushrooming of apartments all over Telok Kurau and some of these are going to TOP soon too!

Good luck! :2cents:[/QUOTE]

howgozit
13-09-11, 20:29
This is the second time you have used the word Parapoondek. What does it mean?:beats-me-man:

Unfortunately, you should know that we have a lot of racists in this forum. If you know the meaning of the word you will know that it is very insulting. It is not the same as calling someone "Thambi" or "Anna" (pronounced "Ah Nay")

Try googling "Pundek" for its meaning.

radha08
13-09-11, 23:17
Unfortunately, you should know that we have a lot of racists in this forum. If you know the meaning of the word you will know that it is very insulting. It is not the same as calling someone "Thambi" or "Anna" (pronounced "Ah Nay")

Try googling "Pundek" for its meaning.

based on our personal experiences in life we all got our own way of describing certain breeds of humans...i normally refer to them as abnn...but maybe our bro hates them more than me thats why he call them parapoondek....:D:D:D

radha08
14-09-11, 22:35
[QNow I know why. UOTE=TKT]Telok Indah???

Good luck! :2cents:[/quote]

i also viewed a unit there before but walked away when i realised that every friday it would be a nightmare....:scared-1:

CCR
14-09-11, 22:54
JLL sees no housing glut in 2014 and 2015
Holding a contrarian view, it says demand for homes will likely remain fairly stable

By UMA SHANKARI

THE residential market here will not see a correction in 2014 and 2015 even though a sizeable amount of new homes is due to be completed over those two years, argued Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL) in a new white paper.

'Demand for housing is likely to remain fairly stable and support the injection of new stock over the next few years,' said JLL's South-east Asia research head Chua Yang Liang, who presented the paper yesterday.

JLL's view differs from most analysts' prediction that Singapore is set to face a housing glut from 2013 to 2015.

According to JLL, an average of about 50,000 HDB flats and private homes will be ready each year in 2014 and 2015.

This is equivalent to 2.5 times the average yearly stock completed since 2001.

Dr Chua said the residential market will not contract as a result of new stock. Over the past decade, the Singapore residential market has seen hardly any corrections based on stock levels alone, he said. For example, despite the large supply that came in 1998, island-wide property prices were fairly stable.

Dr Chua also noted that the growth in population over the past few years has outpaced the increase in physical housing stock. This suggests that the demand backlog is likely to help keep prices steady.

On top of this, immigration is unlikely to stop, JLL said.

The property firm used two different rates of immigration and population growth to map out the expected state of Singapore's residential housing market in 2014 and 2015.

Under the first scenario, JLL assumes that Singapore's population grows to just 5.2 million by 2015. In this case, the cumulative housing stock (the total number of homes available for owner-occupation and rent) will still not be able to meet total demand in 2014.

But in 2015, supply will be greater than demand, Dr Chua said.

Under this scenario, he expects the official property price index to grow by an average of 1.8 per cent per year until 2015.

And in JLL's more bullish second scenario, Singapore could be home to some 5.5 million people by 2015.

In this case, new housing stock may be insufficient in both 2014 and 2015 to meet annual housing demand.

As a result, property prices could grow by an average of 7.5 per cent a year from 2011 to 2015, JLL said.

radha08
14-09-11, 22:59
property mkt just like stock market all different analyst got different views some say buy some say sell....:scared-4:

devilplate
14-09-11, 23:02
property mkt just like stock market all different analyst got different views some say buy some say sell....:scared-4:
I remember in early 07 when ppty market is super red hot, most analyst predicted oversupply in 2010 n px will start to decline as well....but who noes, oct 2007 subprime crisis erupted....

Can never never place ur bet based on supply....

Its all about global economy for sg ppty market

thomastansb
14-09-11, 23:33
And all major banks including Citi, UBS, DBS, OCBC, UOB, Merill Lynch etc all predicted in Q12009 that property will crash another 10-20% in 2009. The rest is history...

I remember in early 07 when ppty market is super red hot, most analyst predicted oversupply in 2010 n px will start to decline as well....but who noes, oct 2007 subprime crisis erupted....

ysyap
15-09-11, 06:37
property mkt just like stock market all different analyst got different views some say buy some say sell....:scared-4:So whether buy or sell, housing agents will be the greatest beneficiaries! :rolleyes:

wind30
15-09-11, 06:55

I think during 2007 interest rates were around 3-4%? I just receive a mail from my bank, the interest rate for my housing loan dropped to 0.85%.

Seriously, if the interest rate is 0.85%, a lot of people will just continue to rent it out as the rental can definitely cover the interest and make money for them.

land118
15-09-11, 07:02
I think during 2007 interest rates were around 3-4%? I just receive a mail from my bank, the interest rate for my housing loan dropped to 0.85%.

Seriously, if the interest rate is 0.85%, a lot of people will just continue to rent it out as the rental can definitely cover the interest and make money for them.
I believe we are in uncharted territory and phenomenal times of low in interest which may not be repeated for a long time ever. Even if recession come, with such low interest rate, correction maybe subdued...10%?:2cents:

ecimbew
15-09-11, 07:49
Is that why people are grabbing units as if they are vegetables in the supermarket?

As long as the government continues to let in more foreigners with ready cash and continues to generate jobs to boost the economy, we are going to see an increase in property prices?

Perhaps we should all become property agents on the side and earn some extra cash for downpayment?

ysyap
15-09-11, 07:52
Is that why people are grabbing units as if they are vegetables in the supermarket?

As long as the government continues to let in more foreigners with ready cash and continues to generate jobs to boost the economy, we are going to see an increase in property prices?

Perhaps we should all become property agents on the side and earn some extra cash for downpayment?Most foreigners who come here to work either rent (self or subsidized by company) or buy within their means (minority). Those foreigners who come to buy big time are mainly investors who don't work in Singapore! :cheers1:

Allthepies
15-09-11, 08:32

Perhaps we should all become property agents on the side and earn some extra cash for downpayment?
yup as long as the current govermet is still in place, sigapore will cotinue to grow and prosper economically. : )

DC33_2008
15-09-11, 08:44
I am with Dr Chua's view only if garment does not release any cooling measures. This region should grow. We should take note of our neighbour, Indonesia. They are moving. Some years ago, when Emeritus Goh was the PM, he said that any property prediction tool will be of no use if garment comes in with intervention measures.

DC33_2008
15-09-11, 08:46
Lawyers and valuers too! :) Refiancing also make $ for L and V.
So whether buy or sell, housing agents will be the greatest beneficiaries! :rolleyes:

DC33_2008
15-09-11, 08:49
Buy, keep and rent. Do not sell them away. Be a property owner and landlord. :)
Most foreigners who come here to work either rent (self or subsidized by company) or buy within their means (minority). Those foreigners who come to buy big time are mainly investors who don't work in Singapore! :cheers1:

Jonathan0503
15-09-11, 09:26
Most foreigners who come here to work either rent (self or subsidized by company) or buy within their means (minority). Those foreigners who come to buy big time are mainly investors who don't work in Singapore! :cheers1:

Its all correlated.

If there's demand for rent, investor will be keen to buy and rent, and property prices will continue to go up

DC33_2008
15-09-11, 09:29
Got a friend who has 10 properties has retired and enjoying life.
Its all correlated.

If there's demand for rent, investor will be keen to buy and rent, and property prices will continue to go up

Laguna
15-09-11, 09:38
There are few interesting readings I have

1. I believe LKY is still the main driving force of the current govt and he firmly believes we need FT to support the growth and aging population. I read the leaders of PAP Central Com is of the same thinking as well. PAP believes in growth and so do I.

2. Prices depend on the economy. However, to a certain extent, there is certain degree of Govt interference like GLS and CM. It is not the Govt's interest to see crashing of property market as the consequences are unthinkable.

3. 4 years age, I saw China buyers bot only unit, 2 years ago, I saw them buying into 5s and 10s and now I see them buying into blocks. This is a wild card of Sg property market. China loves Sg for many reasons. We have strong currency, stable economy, growth etc etc.

4. Western countries will inflat themselves out of debts. The job lost in the west is very difficult to be recovered there. Job growth will be in the east and Latin America.

DC33_2008
15-09-11, 09:54
Your advice: Continue to Buy and Keep?

1. I believe LKY is still the main driving force of the current govt and he firmly believes we need FT to support the growth and aging population. I read the leaders of PAP Central Com is of the same thinking as well. PAP believes in growth and so do I.

2. Prices depend on the economy. However, to a certain extent, there is certain degree of Govt interference like GLS and CM. It is not the Govt's interest to see crashing of property market as the consequences are unthinkable.

3. 4 years age, I saw China buyers bot only unit, 2 years ago, I saw them buying into 5s and 10s and now I see them buying into blocks. This is a wild card of Sg property market. China loves Sg for many reasons. We have strong currency, stable economy, growth etc etc.

4. Western countries will inflat themselves out of debts. The job lost in the west is very difficult to be recovered there. Job growth will be in the east and Latin America.

East Lover
15-09-11, 09:58

Is it a good time to buy some properties in US or UK?

DC33_2008
15-09-11, 10:08
Do you think it is a good idea with both countries have high unemployment rates? Buy but no rental demand. How?
Is it a good time to buy some properties in US or UK?

East Lover
15-09-11, 10:09
Do you think it is a good idea with both countries have high unemployment rates? Buy but no rental demand. How?
buy those near good school, near MRT. can rent to university students. used as education fund. wait till kids grow up.

ysyap
15-09-11, 10:13
Got a friend who has 10 properties has retired and enjoying life.I'll retire if I hit 5 properties can already.. LOL! No need to have 10. Can't even finish using the rental yields from 5 properties. :D

DC33_2008
15-09-11, 10:18
Good for you! It is all about expectation. I am working towards that day too. Can play some shares, visit showroom, go travelling, etc.
I'll retire if I hit 5 properties can already.. LOL! No need to have 10. Can't even finish using the rental yields from 5 properties. :D

ysyap
15-09-11, 10:25
Good for you! It is all about expectation. I am working towards that day too. Can play some shares, visit showroom, go travelling, etc.Pity I started quite late, so cannot have too high aim... LOL! Otherwise cannot enjoy retirement or enjoy it on a walking stick? LOL!

howgozit
15-09-11, 12:59
So.... what's the conclusion?

CCR
15-09-11, 16:53
I strongly fee there will be no oversupply..... whether prices will go up will depend if there is another major crisis.... if no major crisis, then prices will flatten out for the next 1-2 years then go up again....

If there is a crisis then prices will drop at most 15% then flatten for 2-3 years and then start to rise again....

I will start looking for good units now... you never know when it will come...

Laguna
15-09-11, 17:44
I am laughing at myself, why all of a sudden become so talkative in this forum..and ended up with so many questions and PM to reply.

I am a very lazy person, dun like to type so much...and dun hv the crystal ball as well.

:scared-3:

radha08
16-09-11, 10:48
I'll retire if I hit 5 properties can already.. LOL! No need to have 10. Can't even finish using the rental yields from 5 properties. :D

i not greedy target 3...:)

devilplate
16-09-11, 11:08
i not greedy target 3...:)

3MMs in ocr or 3 penthse in orchard?:p

better to gauge base on passive mthly income

10-15k is more den enuff for my lifestyle:D

radha08
16-09-11, 11:23
3MMs in ocr or 3 penthse in orchard?:p

better to gauge base on passive mthly income

10-15k is more den enuff for my lifestyle:D

1 hdb plus 1 unit at bayshore(1100sqft) plus 1 unit Westside dunno where maybe hillview(2 bedder)....this is a realistic tgt for normal working joe like myself....to achieve...:)

ysyap
16-09-11, 12:00
1 hdb plus 1 unit at bayshore(1100sqft) plus 1 unit Westside dunno where maybe hillview(2 bedder)....this is a realistic tgt for normal working joe like myself....to achieve...:)You already decided the locations of your 3 units... good for you. I still far from there. Many more years to toil and frankly I am already thinking of retiring and taking things slow... sigh!!! Still a few decades to proper retirement age leh! How? :doh:

Laguna
16-09-11, 21:35
I wish everyone in this forum
retire young, retire rich, retire healthy and happily....

hyenergix
16-09-11, 21:44
Property is a zero sum game. If u sell ur property n become rich, it will b at e expense of e buyer of e property. It simply makes e future generation poorer, assuming only locals r allowed to buy n sell.

buttercarp
16-09-11, 22:19
Property is a zero sum game. If u sell ur property n become rich, it will b at e expense of e buyer of e property. It simply makes e future generation poorer, assuming only locals r allowed to buy n sell.
That's why if I can help it, I will buy property brand new from developers, so far it has been like this for me.
I can't bear to buy fire sales when I know that the owner is letting go below market rate as he has no choice but to do so.

buttercarp
16-09-11, 22:22
I wish everyone in this forum
retire young, retire rich, retire healthy and happily....

Thank you and may all our dreams come true.
I don't want to retire young, though.
Even if I had all the money in the world, I would still like to work.
Doing nothing makes a person dull and neurotic.
Retire rich, retire healthy and happily..... definitely!

DaytonaSS
16-09-11, 22:31

property are meant for staying, its a basic need after food. Property doesnt make the future generation poor, it makes them richer. Have u seen the pple whom inherited GCBs from past generation poorer?

And if u buy form them and past it down 5 generations, will your future decedents be poorer than u? Assuming all other factors remain constant? An asset doesnt make anyone poorer, unless ur loan need multi generation to clear.

DaytonaSS
16-09-11, 22:34

retire young is also hard work....... u need to find things to do everyday

howgozit
16-09-11, 23:09
That's why if I can help it, I will buy property brand new from developers, so far it has been like this for me.
I can't bear to buy fire sales when I know that the owner is letting go below market rate as he has no choice but to do so.

Buttercarp, you continue to amaze me.... :scared-5:

devilplate
16-09-11, 23:11
Cant bear?

U r actually doing them a favour! They must be despo liao or else kena bank auction liao lor

U can always offer them higher wAt...they firesale 1m, u pity them and offer 1.1mil lah:p

devilplate
16-09-11, 23:13
Dun continue to work for others la! y let employer exploit u? Lol

When u oredi there, can always do voluntary work wat! Very meaningful;)

But hey, not there also try to do voluntary work ok:p :D

buttercarp
16-09-11, 23:31
Cant bear?

U r actually doing them a favour! They must be despo liao or else kena bank auction liao lor

U can always offer them higher wAt...they firesale 1m, u pity them and offer 1.1mil lah:p

That's true..... but I think I'd rather buy it at market value than take advantage of their desperation. The problem is that I don't really know what is market value.

Dun continue to work for others la! y let employer exploit u? Lol

When
u oredi there, can always do voluntary work wat! Very meaningful;)

But
hey, not there also try to do voluntary work ok:p
:D

I am self employed so I don't feel exploited.
I don't believe in voluntary work. Voluntary work is for those who do not worry about finances.
I believe that if everyone was responsible, there will be very little need for voluntarism eg if everyone took care of their own children or pets and not abandon them, there will not be need for shelters.
However I will help those whom I know if they are in need.

mygeemeel
16-09-11, 23:38

I need $$. Can give me??

devilplate
16-09-11, 23:39
That's true..... but I think I'd rather buy it at market value than take advantage of their desperation. The problem is that I don't really know what is market value.

I am self employed so I don't feel exploited.
I don't believe in voluntary work. Voluntary work is for those who do not worry about finances.
I believe that if everyone was responsible, there will be very little need for voluntarism eg if everyone took care of their own children or pets and not abandon them, there will not be need for shelters.

How about orphans, old folks home and the disabled

buttercarp
16-09-11, 23:50
I need $$. Can give me??
This enough or not?

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images/monopoly_money.jpg

buttercarp
16-09-11, 23:56
How about orphans, old folks home and the disabled
Yes these group definitely need help.
But I feel that voluntary work is best done by those who do not have to worry about finances.

howgozit
16-09-11, 23:59

Please be advised that such a sentiment will not be reciprocated should you be the one to sell in desperation.

Btw, the market value is determined by consumers over a period of time. If the seller really has to sell at the so-called "below" market value, then the value really is that low. If you (out of your well-meant intentions) rejects this low offer, you are signalling to him that the market value is even lower. He may be eventually be forced to sell even lower bcoz of you.

howgozit
17-09-11, 00:10
Yes these group definitely need help.
But I feel that voluntary work is best done by those who do not have to worry about finances.

Buttercarp, I am afraid you are wrong

Voluntary work is best done by those with great compassion for the less fortunate.

The truth is that everyone worries about finances but at different levels. For example, if you were to downgrade to a 3rm HDB and take public transport instead of buying your private properties, you wouldn't need to worry about finances right?

buttercarp
17-09-11, 00:25
Please be advised that such a sentiment will not be reciprocated should you be the one to sell in desperation.

All I said is I'd rather buy directly from developer if I had the choice.
I did not say I would shy away from fire sale.

Voluntary work is best done by those with great compassion for the
less fortunate.

That does not exist in my context, not now.
Later in life when I have comfortably retired then i might consider.
I'd rather the philantropists do the voluntary work.
In that way, they can achieve fame, eg get named after a hospital or mrt station, while their beneficiary get monetary gain. Both sides benefit, this is called symbiotic relationship and it is very rewarding.

howgozit
17-09-11, 00:59

That does not exist in my context, not now.
Later in life when I have comfortably retired then i might consider.
I'd rather the philantropists do the voluntary work.
In that way, they can achieve fame, eg get named after a hospital or mrt station, while their beneficiary get monetary gain. Both sides benefit, this is called symbiotic relationship and it is very rewarding.

Forgive me for my candid comments

I did not say you would shy away from fire sale either, I am just amazed at your statement "I can't bear to buy fire sales when I know that the owner is letting go below market rate". Seems a bit conflicting with what you are saying now though.....

As for your thoughts on voluntary work, this is exactly why there is always a shortage of volunteers, bcoz everybody always think of it as somebody else's problem or somebody else's responsiblity to help.

Anyway, apologies for deviating from the thread..... again..:scared-3:

ysyap
17-09-11, 07:34
You guys talk about firesales as if you have firesales everywhere! Good sales are long gone. They never make it onto advertisement sites. Those that did are lousy firesales at ulu location or haunted units or loanshark's favorite painting spot or agent merely borrowed that word to gain publicity that he otherwise would be found lacking. :spliff:

land118
17-09-11, 09:44
You guys talk about firesales as if you have firesales everywhere! Good sales are long gone. They never make it onto advertisement sites. Those that did are lousy firesales at ulu location or haunted units or loanshark's favorite painting spot or agent merely borrowed that word to gain publicity that he otherwise would be found lacking. :spliff:
Good observation, most of the time when it is out in advertisement - likely sibei jialat unattractive firesales...:2cents:

howgozit
17-09-11, 09:48

I think there are still "firesales" to be had if one were to look hard enough.

What was happening in the last few years during the boom was whenever something of really good value came out, the agents quickly "sapu" and then they flip it. With the CM, such activities by agents have been seriously curtailed.

I disagree with Buttercarp's idea that whatever price the developer sets is the market value. A recent example is the DBSS project Centrale8 at Tampines by Sim Lian which started off with prices up to $880k but was revised downward later to $778k.

Laguna
17-09-11, 10:06

This makes me laugh, most of the buyers think this way...so they missed out so many good subsales in the market and let the developers make better money from this sort of buyers.

i have so many agents working for me, and all of them know that I am looking for fire sales. And for so many years, none of them come back.

They flip themselves.

howgozit
17-09-11, 10:40
This makes me laugh, most of the buyers think this way...so they missed out so many good subsales in the market and let the developers make better money from this sort of buyers.

i have so many agents working for me, and all of them know that I am looking for fire sales. And for so many years, none of them come back.

They flip themselves.

From what I hear, this is starting to change a bit in the last few months. Most agents (if they are honest enough) will tell you that things are really quiet. If you look at the overall sales volume (which has also dropped) minus developer sales, it will show that subsale or owner sales has gone down. In addition, the cooling measures have big implications. Agents are now more wary of picking up anything to flip.

buttercarp
17-09-11, 11:35

They flip themselves.

Maybe I worked for me many years back.
When I bought my present unit, it was directly from the developer and they could not sell it 2 years after it TOP-ed. I got it at a bargain and it was the talk of the town at that time.
What I meant is that with developers, I will try and bargain as much as possible without batting an eyelid, but with individual sellers, Of course i will try to negotiate the best price (if I know how much) for myself but I would feel bad if he had to give in to a price way below the market rate if he is desperate and need the money.

The agents can't flip very much now cos of the 4y SSD.

DC33_2008
17-09-11, 12:00
I threat each transaction as a business deal. Deal is done at the mutually agreed price whether it is above or below the valuation price. Developer's sale can entice buyers with free gifts, holidays, etc. A few thousand dollars saving can disorientate a person's decision. I prefer subsale/resale which can be controlled and objective. That is where you can get good deal with price escalates in short time.:)

land118
17-09-11, 12:48
I threat each transaction as a business deal. Deal is done at the mutually agreed price whether it is above or below the valuation price. Developer's sale can entice buyers with free gifts, holidays, etc. A few thousand dollars saving can disorientate a person's decision. I prefer subsale/resale which can be controlled and objective. That is where you can get good deal with price escalates in short time.:)
Ya, see that some MM entice with free iPad....

howgozit
17-09-11, 15:08
Ya, see that some MM entice with free iPad....

Post '97 crisis, there were freebies galore that effectively brought down the price. On top of deferred payment till TOP, there was free stamp duty, lawyer fees and also guaranteed fixed rental for 2years after TOP(even when you are own-staying)....etc. The discounts are given indirectly so as not to distort the caveats lodge price.

The current freebies like what DC33_2008 mentioned are more to disorientate the buyer.

DC33_2008
17-09-11, 17:26
KBW cannot do much with this as it is sales strategy. People are still hungry to buy condos now and I am sure the garment is worried for them.

buttercarp
17-09-11, 17:38
KBW cannot do much with this as it is sales strategy. People are still hungry to buy condos now and I am sure the garment is worried for them.

KBW's job is to ensure first timers can afford and obtain a new HDB flat as soon as possible. Why should the government be worried if people are frantically buying condos? Izit they worried that their bto, dbss and EC will have less sale? They should not be worried at all becoz this is not happening.

DC33_2008
17-09-11, 17:43
This has great social impact when crisis hit, retrenchment will follow and people with no holding power will panic. Hope it will not happen. Let's see what happen on 20 Sept. Stock market is very volatile these days. Financial sector would have felt it.
KBW's job is to ensure first timers can afford and obtain a new HDB flat as soon as possible. Why should the government be worried if people are frantically buying condos? Izit they worried that their bto, dbss and EC will have less sale? They should not be worried at all becoz this is not happening.

howgozit
17-09-11, 17:49
With the cooling measures, developers seem to have gotten more bold with the backing of the banks. With 40% upfront, banks are protected with a big margin. They are more than willing to go along with the developers' prices giving the illusion of market value. In fact developers/banks are slowly allowing a creeping escalation of the prices despite the economic fundamentals.

Banks set up shop in showrooms to coax potential buyers with their own freebies and further disorientate the buyer.

buttercarp
17-09-11, 17:52
This has great social impact when crisis hit, retrenchment will follow and people with no holding power will panic. Hope it will not happen. Let's see what happen on 20 Sept. Stock market is very volatile these days. Financial sector would have felt it.

Oh dear, good luck to those people.
Those waiting to grab will be happy, though.

Again another deadline. 20 sept? What will be happening?

I am very shielded from the financial world so I have yet to feel it.

DC33_2008
17-09-11, 17:52
Developer & Banks are laughing happily. :D
With the cooling measures, developers seem to have gotten more bold with the backing of the banks. With 40% upfront, banks are protected with a big margin. They are more than willing to go along with the developers' prices giving the illusion of market value. In fact developers/banks are slowly allowing a creeping escalation of the prices despite the economic fundamentals.

Banks set up shop in showrooms to coax potential buyers with their own freebies and further disorientate the buyer.

DC33_2008
17-09-11, 17:54
Seek for approval of its plan.

sh
17-09-11, 22:34

It's all a conspiracy. The banks require valuers to support the price posted by the developers. The same valuers are the ones marketing the units for the developers, and will not want to sour their cosy relationship. Developers happily invites the bankers to the showflats to sell their loans. It's all conspiracy, you scratch my back, I scratch your scratch.

How do you think the new developments can have such a high premium over the resale units.

KBW.... if you're reading this.... the valuers cannot be the same guys selling the units. Conflict of interest!!!!!:tongue3:

DC33_2008
18-09-11, 11:26
Valuation firms have very stiff competition. They do ask what is the purpose of the valuation (sell, change of ownership, as gift, etc) and the valuation price do favour the client. Do not need to go to top valuation firm in town. Out of town is equally good and cheaper.
It's all a conspiracy. The banks require valuers to support the price posted by the developers. The same valuers are the ones marketing the units for the developers, and will not want to sour their cosy relationship. Developers happily invites the bankers to the showflats to sell their loans. It's all conspiracy, you scratch my back, I scratch your scratch.

How do you think the new developments can have such a high premium over the resale units.

KBW.... if you're reading this.... the valuers cannot be the same guys selling the units. Conflict of interest!!!!!:tongue3:

kane
18-09-11, 11:35
Valuation firms have very stiff competition. They do ask what is the purpose of the valuation (sell, change of ownership, as gift, etc) and the valuation price do favour the client. Do not need to go to top valuation firm in town. Out of town is equally good and cheaper.

And if you have a resale that you want to price at 15% discount to new launch, the valuers tell you wait long long.

radha08
21-09-11, 23:33

us federal reserve meeting i guess...:confused:....hmm shielded from financial world..:D...hope you have an atm card...;)

East Lover
21-09-11, 23:52
us federal reserve meeting i guess...:confused:....hmm shielded from financial world..:D...hope you have an atm card...;)
Ur option exercised already? Your amt card must be big big liao;)

radha08
22-09-11, 16:29
Ur option exercised already? Your amt card must be big big liao;)
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

thats how i feel right now....:D

ysyap
22-09-11, 18:29
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

thats how i feel right now....:DYour timing's very zun! Now sit back and wait for falling durians! If no durians, get some mangosteen also not bad! :cheers1: Congrats!

radha08
23-09-11, 09:05
Your timing's very zun! Now sit back and wait for falling durians! If no durians, get some mangosteen also not bad! :cheers1: Congrats!

dunno about timing but now looking for rental apt...prices are crazy....:scared-3:...i think i might just rent a house instead of condo or hdb....live my lifelong dream to stay in landed property for 1 year....:D

East Lover
23-09-11, 09:19
dunno about timing but now looking for rental apt...prices are crazy....:scared-3:...i think i might just rent a house instead of condo or hdb....live my lifelong dream to stay in landed property for 1 year....:D
you mean landed rental is cheaper than condo or even hdb???:doh:

ysyap
23-09-11, 09:44
More like if everywhere rental is high, just stay where you would prefer since no incentive in staying in less desirable places. :o

radha08
23-09-11, 09:46
you mean landed rental is cheaper than condo or even hdb???:doh:

yup i been looking around decent condos 3.5 to 4k...u can get not too bad landed units around 4k....nothing fantastic but decent and liveable...dont look at prop guru thats crap check saturdays classifieds....:D