PDA

View Full Version : what to look for when renting landed property?

radha08
24-09-11, 09:00
hdb i stay before condo i stay before....now going to rent landed property but just want to ask advice from seasoned bros what to look for.....i.e shouldnt be along major road,near schs,near busstop/coffeeshop...etc....any bro got 2:2cents: advice can share.....:D

DC33_2008
24-09-11, 09:06
Where are looking at?
hdb i stay before condo i stay before....now going to rent landed property but just want to ask advice from seasoned bros what to look for.....i.e shouldnt be along major road,near schs,near busstop/coffeeshop...etc....any bro got 2:2cents: advice can share.....:D

devilplate
24-09-11, 09:21
Bro....frankel/siglap goodie:D

As long no main road:D

radha08
24-09-11, 11:43
Bro....frankel/siglap goodie:D

As long no main road:D

bro are u stalking me wahlan....EXACTLY where i looking frankel....but off main road....:D

DC33_2008
24-09-11, 14:56
Need to have a driveway to park two cars.
bro are u stalking me wahlan....EXACTLY where i looking frankel....but off main road....:D

radha08
24-09-11, 21:35
Need to have a driveway to park two cars.

ha ha u are right...:)...hard to find....:doh:...1 car must park outside...

buttercarp
24-09-11, 22:34

Wah, u so rich now, can rent frankel house!
If house can only park one car, make sure the road is wide enough for 2 cars to park on both sides and traffic can still pass through, otherwise the neighbours would usually squabble over parking space.

It would be better if the house got a side gate or at least a gate that can be manually opened, instead of one with only autogate, cos if the autogate spoil, then u can't enter house.

Hopefully your immediate neighbour not thinking of A & A.

radha08
25-09-11, 00:05
If house can only park one car, make sure the road is wide enough for 2 cars to park on both sides and traffic can still pass through, otherwise the neighbours would usually squabble over parking space.

It would be better if the house got a side gate or at least a gate that can be manually opened, instead of one with only autogate, cos if the autogate spoil, then u can't enter house.

Hopefully your immediate neighbour not thinking of A & A.

yup i kinda realised that landed got its own set of problems....cars all over the shop...the siglap area not too bad but some time earlier when i was scouting around riverina and loyang villas the small roads were a nightmare:scared-1:....really sad to pay 1 to xxx millions for ur own piece of land and live thru these kind of nightmares of squeezing thru parked cars on a daily basis....the few $$$ that u pay to hdb for a parking lot every month or to mcst makes a lot of sense...:cool:

devilplate
25-09-11, 00:14
yup i kinda realised that landed got its own set of problems....cars all over the shop...the siglap area not too bad but some time earlier when i was scouting around riverina and loyang villas the small roads were a nightmare:scared-1:....really sad to pay 1 to xxx millions for ur own piece of land and live thru these kind of nightmares of squeezing thru parked cars on a daily basis....the few $$$ that u pay to hdb for a parking lot every month or to mcst makes a lot of sense...:cool:
Landed area got cats problem as well....cats vy gd at vandalising cars:p

radha08
25-09-11, 00:16

honestly the word FRANKEL is a very BIG word just like SINGAPORE....cos frankel got all kinda houses look hard enough...u can get a bargain....just like singapore i was watching the f1 on tv tonite to the millions of people worldwide watching they must be thinking omg spore is such a big time country but we know that just like any other big city in the world its not that bad if your not too choosy and fussy and willing to work hard you will be comfortable and OK...:D:D:D

radha08
25-09-11, 00:18
Landed area got cats problem as well....cats vy gd at vandalising cars:p
i got 2 dogs....not a problem...:D:D:D

devilplate
25-09-11, 00:20
i got 2 dogs....not a problem...:D:D:D
Cats love to do their artwork on the cars tat park outside the house:D

My car last time park at open hdb lot, got vandalise till sian liao....hehe

Hey, not many landlords allow pets wor...u better check clear

radha08
25-09-11, 00:45

ya know what u mean if no dogs allowed...i no rent....:)...i agree cats can be a nuisance some hdb households keep so many cats...and they like to stray....just like in olden days in singapore u go malay kampong got many cats....chinese kampong got many dogs.....sigh those were the good old days....:cool:

devilplate
25-09-11, 00:49
ya know what u mean if no dogs allowed...i no rent....:)...i agree cats can be a nuisance some hdb households keep so many cats...and they like to stray....just like in olden days in singapore u go malay kampong got many cats....chinese kampong got many dogs.....sigh those were the good old days....:cool:
I believe renting a landed is more complicated....make sure the tenancy agreement is drafted properly

Gd luck man:D

DC33_2008
25-09-11, 10:23
Make sure no white line drawn in the middle of the road. Car can be summoned eventhough it is just outside the gate.
ha ha u are right...:)...hard to find....:doh:...1 car must park outside...

DC33_2008
25-09-11, 10:25
They like to sleep on top of the car at night.

howgozit
25-09-11, 11:05
I believe this landed property for rental would meet even the most stringent requirements.

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=12118

radha08
25-09-11, 13:52
They like to sleep on top of the car at night.

wait till they sleep on an F1 car...:scared-1::D:scared-1:

radha08
25-09-11, 13:53
Make sure no white line drawn in the middle of the road. Car can be summoned eventhough it is just outside the gate.

ya past few days i been looking thru my highway code handbooks....:D:D:D

zzz1
25-09-11, 16:25
Watch out for water batch on the ceiling, floor etc. That post some trouble if later owner delay in response to these . Also agreed on the arrangement for repair cost.

radha08
26-09-11, 17:12
Watch out for water batch on the ceiling, floor etc. That post some trouble if later owner delay in response to these . Also agreed on the arrangement for repair cost.

tks i going to sign ta tommorow....:D...will check everything....

radha08
27-10-11, 22:21
landed living is HEAVENLY.....:D

tks bros for your inputs i have settled in to my rented d15 house....it is absolute blissful compared to living in my previous condo....:).

land118
27-10-11, 22:31

tks bros for your inputs i have settled in to my rented d15 house....it is absolute blissful compared to living in my previous condo....:).Guess u may be hooked on landed..., maybe when u r free, can scout around to own yours soon. Enjoy...:D

DC33_2008
28-10-11, 08:41
Now you know why people like to stay in landed. :)

tks bros for your inputs i have settled in to my rented d15 house....it is absolute blissful compared to living in my previous condo....:).

buttercarp
28-10-11, 09:05

Please tell me why is it so?

I am so apprehensive about staying in landed as I have stayed in flats and condos all my life.
The reason why I bought the landed was because I saw my husband's face lighted up so brightly when he saw the place, and I wished I could buy the house for him. Since I can't buy it on my own for him, I supported his decision to buy it.
I am cherishing every moment I have now in my present place.

Santro
28-10-11, 09:18
Yes Bro. Share with us your experiences. I too have been living in HDB/Condo all the while and very tempted to try landed.
Is it a good option for family with primary school going kids.

devilplate
28-10-11, 09:19

I am so apprehensive about staying in landed as I have stayed in flats and condos all my life.
The reason why I bought the landed was because I saw my husband's face lighted up so brightly when he saw the place, and I wished I could buy the house for him. Since I can't buy it on my own for him, I supported his decision to buy it.

can make more babies:D :D :D

buttercarp
28-10-11, 11:35
can make more babies:D :D :D

With Vitamin M deficiency, better not get pregnant.:tsk-tsk:

ysyap
28-10-11, 11:35

tks bros for your inputs i have settled in to my rented d15 house....it is absolute blissful compared to living in my previous condo....:).I've stayed in landed in the past with my parents. What I can say is whether landed, condo or HDB, it really depends on your neighbors which will make you like or hate your stay. Unfortunately, HDB will lose out coz the type of neighbors extents beyond just your block into other blocks and each block consists of up to 90 units so chances of finding an inconsiderate neighbor is much higher than when staying in landed or condo. I've also encountered staying in landed with selfish neighbors when my family car was issued a parking summon when some new neighbor complained about illegal parking when the past 10 years, everyone is doing it. Very different experience for different people... :cheers1:

Anyway, congrats on your new rented house. Enjoy it while you can and remember to be a nice neighbor. :spliff:

ysyap
28-10-11, 11:36
With Vitamin M deficiency, better not get pregnant.:tsk-tsk:Sometimes its beyond one's control... LOL! ;)

DC33_2008
28-10-11, 12:02
An advantage of staying in a landed property is that you do not need to fight over parking lot and walk a long distance before taking a lift to reach your home.
I've stayed in landed in the past with my parents. What I can say is whether landed, condo or HDB, it really depends on your neighbors which will make you like or hate your stay. Unfortunately, HDB will lose out coz the type of neighbors extents beyond just your block into other blocks and each block consists of up to 90 units so chances of finding an inconsiderate neighbor is much higher than when staying in landed or condo. I've also encountered staying in landed with selfish neighbors when my family car was issued a parking summon when some new neighbor complained about illegal parking when the past 10 years, everyone is doing it. Very different experience for different people... :cheers1:

Anyway, congrats on your new rented house. Enjoy it while you can and remember to be a nice neighbor. :spliff:

kane
28-10-11, 12:52
If there was a way to have landed but none the mosquitoes that cone with it.

land118
28-10-11, 13:18
With Vitamin M deficiency, better not get pregnant.:tsk-tsk: Must not let Gahmen know this.., young couples say need to get flat/apartment then can start family, but who knows that now couples say becos properties prices going up, Vitamin M not enough to have babies after buying the flat/apartment..., KBW's fault again...:doh:

greenhorn
28-10-11, 13:20
If there was a way to have landed but none the mosquitoes that cone with it.

Depends lah...Mozzies problem can come from many factors eg. whether you or your neighbours are plants lovers, cleanliness of surroundings like drains, bins, shops/houses, etc. I have not experienced any major mozzies problem in my 2 landed houses. Non-landed also can experience mozzies / flies problems especially low floor apartments or those near chutes/bin centres, major drains, etc.

DC33_2008
28-10-11, 14:26
Depends on location. If those close to nature reserve can even get snakes too.
Depends lah...Mozzies problem can come from many factors eg. whether you or your neighbours are plants lovers, cleanliness of surroundings like drains, bins, shops/houses, etc. I have not experienced any major mozzies problem in my 2 landed houses. Non-landed also can experience mozzies / flies problems especially low floor apartments or those near chutes/bin centres, major drains, etc.

gn108
28-10-11, 15:04
If got snakes, means less rats to contend with ..:D

Depends on location. If those close to nature reserve can even get snakes too.

oakweb
28-10-11, 16:28
it's indeed a hard time:banghead:

howgozit
28-10-11, 16:37
it's indeed a hard time:banghead:

Huh....??? :confused:

DC33_2008
28-10-11, 16:53
Wait till they come out from the toilet bowl like what happened around one of the bukit timah condos some years back.
If got snakes, means less rats to contend with ..:D

gn108
28-10-11, 16:57
Like I said, one less 'rat' to contend with.

Wait till they come out from the toilet bowl like what happened around one of the bukit timah condos some years back.

kane
28-10-11, 17:41
My problem is I seem to attract mosquitoes. It sucks.

howgozit
28-10-11, 17:51
Never had a problem with mozzies (touch wood). Bats and monkeys maybe but no mozzies

kane
28-10-11, 17:52
Even if you have no potted plants, but if you neighbour has... Sigh.

howgozit
28-10-11, 17:59
NEA fogs pretty regularly.... I think they are quite on the ball in preventing an outbreak of any sort.

sh
28-10-11, 19:05
An advantage of staying in a landed property is that you do not need to fight over parking lot and walk a long distance before taking a lift to reach your home.

err.... if you stay in terrace house area with 1 parking lot, but everyone owns 3 cars... There's plenty of fighting.... chope with dustbin etc:tsk-tsk: ...... not very pretty....:banghead:

howgozit
28-10-11, 19:14
err.... if you stay in terrace house area with 1 parking lot, but everyone owns 3 cars... There's plenty of fighting.... chope with dustbin etc:tsk-tsk: ...... not very pretty....:banghead:

Yah,,, that's true. There are many "chow kuan" fanilies that own 2-3 cars and but never park a single car in their own porch but all park outside. :(

Many of these inconsiderate landed owners make it inconvenient for the rest and jam up the streets.

DC33_2008
28-10-11, 21:06
No one dares to park outside as there is a thick white line on the road.

buttercarp
28-10-11, 23:04

Tell everyone to cooperate or else, last resort suggest to URA to draw carpark lots outside the house......

howgozit
28-10-11, 23:14
Tell everyone to cooperate or else, last resort suggest to URA to draw carpark lots outside the house......

Difficult lah.... it will end up like Everitt Road. Everybody one-upmanship.

Just pray that your neighbours are "zhi tong". You just need one "chow kuan" family to start the ball rolling. An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.

Unless you stay in a GCB, landed owners will know that your neighbourliness will be severely tested during festive seasons eg CNY, Christmas, Hari Raya....etc.

buttercarp
28-10-11, 23:20
Unless you stay in a GCB, landed owners will know that your neighbourliness will be severely tested during festive seasons eg CNY, Christmas, Hari Raya....etc.

Reminds me of one house.
When I was little, I stayed in a HDB flat overlooking Lucky Heights.
One of the corner terraces was not usually occupied. Only during some weekends and the nights before public holidays, there will be big parties with loud music way up till 12 midnight.

radha08
28-10-11, 23:21

???...so are u staying in landed now?? :)

buttercarp
28-10-11, 23:25
???...so are u staying in landed now?? :)

No.... landed has not TOP yet.
Still staying in condo.
The present house i was referring to is my present condo.
I am cherishing every moment i am staying here now as i am apprehensive about staying in landed in future.

howgozit
28-10-11, 23:35
Reminds me of one house.
When I was little, I stayed in a HDB flat overlooking Lucky Heights.
One of the corner terraces was not usually occupied. Only during some weekends and the nights before public holidays, there will be big parties with loud music way up till 12 midnight.

Noisy parties test neighbourliness in all types of accomodation HDB, condos and landed alike.

But unique to landed is the parking situation.... can be quite bad in some new estates where terraces are packed in pretty tight, roads are narrow and house frontage is also not very wide.

As it is, most landed homes have 2 cars. If one car is parked in the porch and the other on the street the situation is already quite bad. But if owners choose to park both cars outside, there ain't gonna be enough space for everyone.....

kane
28-10-11, 23:37

put a cam looking outside your gate, those cars that park alongside the white line outside... heh heh. one day they'll fine an extra mail in their letterbox.

radha08
28-10-11, 23:46
To sum it up my experience in landed is blissful cos for one...when i enter my house its via a gate not a lift so u DO not have to see faces that irritate you....in landed i am bugged by flies/mosquitoes/pests that can be controlled by sprays/repellants etc unlike in condo where i am surrounded by certain breed of humans that CANNOT be eradicated....i dont have to open my letter box and read some stupid paper informing me there is an upcoming agm and residents are reminded to attend cos there are some issues that need to be addressed like people putting their bicycles on staircases/dogs pooing all over the place/inconsiderate behaviour of guests at bbq pits...bla bla bla....yup i agree there are woes like parking problems/pests...etc but personally i feel as long as our good govt does not change the law and ONLY singaporeans can buy landed property i believe it will be the housing of choice cos whether its hdb/condo when u have tom/dicks and harrys living there it can be very messy :cool:....but hey i might be wrong cos the place i am renting is about 4000sq foot....just off frankel my neighbours got more cars than people living in the house:confused:....in the daytime it seems only the maids and dogs are enjoying the houses...:D....whatever it is this landed rental experience is truely heavenly for me...:D...hopefully for the next 1 year till my ta expires....:o

radha08
28-10-11, 23:48
Noisy parties test neighbourliness in all types of accomodation HDB, condos and landed alike.

But unique to landed is the parking situation.... can be quite bad in some new estates where terraces are packed in pretty tight, roads are narrow and house frontage is also not very wide.

As it is, most landed homes have 2 cars. If one car is parked in the porch and the other on the street the situation is already quite bad. But if owners choose to park both cars outside, there ain't gonna be enough space for everyone.....

yup i realised that both me and my wife own a car....but the driveway can only fit one car so there is a bit of juggling to do but its pretty ok cos everyones doing it...:D

radha08
28-10-11, 23:50
put a cam looking outside your gate, those cars that park alongside the white line outside... heh heh. one day they'll fine an extra mail in their letterbox.

he he today morning i saw the lta dude...riding by on his bike....i waved at him....:D

kane
28-10-11, 23:54
there use to be a lot of lorries park along a white line road in a nearby estate. one fine day, i noticed one of the landed owners install a cam along the wall of his house facing that road. ever since then, no more lorries ever parked along that road. haha.

howgozit
28-10-11, 23:56
To sum it up my experience in landed is blissful cos for one...when i enter my house its via a gate not a lift so u DO not have to see faces that irritate you....in landed i am bugged by flies/mosquitoes/pests that can be controlled by sprays/repellants etc unlike in condo where i am surrounded by certain breed of humans that CANNOT be eradicated....i dont have to open my letter box and read some stupid paper informing me there is an upcoming agm and residents are reminded to attend cos there are some issues that need to be addressed like people putting their bicycles on staircases/dogs pooing all over the place/inconsiderate behaviour of guests at bbq pits...bla bla bla....yup i agree there are woes like parking problems/pests...etc but personally i feel as long as our good govt does not change the law and ONLY singaporeans can buy landed property i believe it will be the housing of choice cos whether its hdb/condo when u have tom/dicks and harrys living there it can be very messy :cool:....but hey i might be wrong cos the place i am renting is about 4000sq foot....just off frankel my neighbours got more cars than people living in the house:confused:....in the daytime it seems only the maids and dogs are enjoying the houses...:D....whatever it is this landed rental experience is truely heavenly for me...:D...hopefully for the next 1 year till my ta expires....:o

Yah... there is landed and there is landed. Frankel area IMHO is considered premium landed... at least in the East to Upper East. The gems are in Dunbar, Coldstream and ALL the houses around Greenfield Drive. To think the semi-dis there used to cost less than $1.5m post '97...

radha08
28-10-11, 23:57
No.... landed has not TOP yet.
Still staying in condo.
The present house i was referring to is my present condo.
I am cherishing every moment i am staying here now as i am apprehensive about staying in landed in future.

well in life u got to try everything...to complete the cycle hdb>>condo>>landed....:D

in some ways i miss the facilities and security of my ex condo...and the warmth and neighbourliness of my ex hdb...but the feeling of my maid opening the gate for me to drive my car into the driveway and my kids coming out to see me when i open the door...:D...its great...but NOT great enough for me to PLONK 2 to 3 million on a house...:eek:...well thats how i feel...my 2:2cents:

radha08
29-10-11, 00:00
Yah... there is landed and there is landed. Frankel area IMHO is considered premium landed... at least in the East to Upper East. The gems are in Dunbar, Coldstream and ALL the houses around Greenfield Drive. To think the semi-dis there used to cost less than $1.5m post '97...

sigh...i am in the midst of all this....the first thing i erased from my mind when moving in was how much these gems USED to cost...:doh:

radha08
29-10-11, 00:02
but hey for the record one things for sure landed living is HOT....literally....:scared-3:...thank god for mitsubishi starmex...:D

kane
29-10-11, 00:24
but hey for the record one things for sure landed living is HOT....literally....:scared-3:...thank god for mitsubishi starmex...:D

it's very rare to have good air circulation in a landed house. plus the heat radiates off the heated ground.

radha08
29-10-11, 00:30
it's very rare to have good air circulation in a landed house. plus the heat radiates off the heated ground.

i kinda realised that...:scared-3:...thank god for the weather we been having the past few days...not looking forward to the hot days....:o

kane
29-10-11, 00:37
i kinda realised that...:scared-3:...thank god for the weather we been having the past few days...not looking forward to the hot days....:o

Wait till you get to April and May. Get ready to blast all your aircon everyday.

radha08
29-10-11, 00:39
Wait till you get to April and May. Get ready to blast all your aircon everyday.

ha ha now already aircon on lying in bed and its raining outside...:D:D:D

kane
29-10-11, 00:59
ha ha now already aircon on lying in bed and its raining outside...:D:D:D

That's over the top lah.

clemdale
29-10-11, 19:35
So is Frankel or Jalan seaview/ Meyer better for landed? Unfortunately im still scouting around for a house without luck... :(

howgozit
29-10-11, 23:06
So is Frankel or Jalan seaview/ Meyer better for landed? Unfortunately im still scouting around for a house without luck... :(

For sure Seaview, Meyer area... etc more upmarket than Frankel also pricier lah. It all depends on your budget .....

radha08
31-10-11, 20:55
For sure Seaview, Meyer area... etc more upmarket than Frankel also pricier lah. It all depends on your budget .....

if u want happening enviroment with makan and drink places nearby...frankel for sure...;)