PDA

View Full Version : Time to relook property cooling measures

maisonjai
04-10-11, 22:18
Time to relook property cooling measures, say analysts
By Joanne Chan | Posted: 04 October 2011 1951 hrs

SINGAPORE: A shortage of resale flats in the market is causing prices to shoot up and it may be time to relook some of the property-cooling measures, say property watchers.

Resale flat prices, which were already at an all-time high, rose 3.8 per cent in the third quarter this year - higher than the 3.1 per cent pace recorded in the second quarter.

Since property-cooling measures were introduced last year to take the heat off the exuberant market, the number of HDB resale flat transactions has dropped significantly - by 30 per cent compared to a year ago, said property firms.

Market watchers said there has been a slowdown in the supply of resale flats, as home owners are put off by the rule that requires them to sell off their flat first before they are granted a higher bank loan of 80 per cent.

Eugene Lim, key executive officer at ERA Realty, said: "Most sellers prefer to buy first, then sell. For people who do not qualify for HDB loan and they have to take a bank loan, they only would be able to get a maximum 60 per cent loan. And therefore there is a requirement for 40 per cent equity."

HDB resale flats have also been generating good rental yield. Industry players said they have seen a spike in rental transactions and it is unlikely that home owners will give up their HDB flats, thus adding to the supply crunch.

Tan Kok Keong, head of research and consultancy at OrangeTee, said: "Some segments of the public housing can be rented out. Every unit that's kept from the market means that one new household does not have the choice to buy that public housing."

Mr Tan also pointed out that the Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) before flats can be rented out used to be one to three years. For home owners who bought a flat in 2008 or 2009, before the MOP was raised to five years, they would have been able to rent out their flats and use the yield to pay for a second mortgage on a private home.

The government has increased the supply of new flats to draw first-time home owners away from the resale market. But there is a limit to how much demand can be diverted - first-timers account for a quarter of resale transactions. And not all are willing to wait two-and-a-half years for a new flat to be built.

With such market conditions, sellers are commanding higher cash premiums - adding to the overall transaction price. Industry players said the median cash-over-valuation (COV) in the third quarter is about S$35,000 to S$37,000, similar to the previous quarter.

To ease the supply crunch, there was a suggestion to relax the bank loan criteria for HDB upgraders.

ERA Realty's Mr Lim said: "I think when the 60 per cent rule was implemented, the objective was to instil prudence in the buyers. But if you look at the practical point of view, if I'm selling my flat to buy another flat, eventually I will still end up with one property and one mortgage."

If the shortage situation is not resolved, market watchers expect resale flat prices to inch up by another three to four per cent in the last quarter of this year. This would bring the overall price increase to more than 10 per cent in just one year - which makes owning a flat an increasing financial burden.

-CNA/ac
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1157213/1/.html (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1157213/1/.html)

hyenergix
04-10-11, 22:59

SINGAPORE: A shortage of resale flats in the market is causing prices to shoot up and it may be time to relook some of the property-cooling measures, say property watchers.

Resale flat prices, which were already at an all-time high, rose 3.8 per cent in the third quarter this year - higher than the 3.1 per cent pace recorded in the second quarter.

Since property-cooling measures were introduced last year to take the heat off the exuberant market, the number of HDB resale flat transactions has dropped significantly - by 30 per cent compared to a year ago, said property firms.

Market watchers said there has been a slowdown in the supply of resale flats, as home owners are put off by the rule that requires them to sell off their flat first before they are granted a higher bank loan of 80 per cent.

Eugene Lim, key executive officer at ERA Realty, said: "Most sellers prefer to buy first, then sell. For people who do not qualify for HDB loan and they have to take a bank loan, they only would be able to get a maximum 60 per cent loan. And therefore there is a requirement for 40 per cent equity."

HDB resale flats have also been generating good rental yield. Industry players said they have seen a spike in rental transactions and it is unlikely that home owners will give up their HDB flats, thus adding to the supply crunch.

Tan Kok Keong, head of research and consultancy at OrangeTee, said: "Some segments of the public housing can be rented out. Every unit that's kept from the market means that one new household does not have the choice to buy that public housing."

Mr Tan also pointed out that the Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) before flats can be rented out used to be one to three years. For home owners who bought a flat in 2008 or 2009, before the MOP was raised to five years, they would have been able to rent out their flats and use the yield to pay for a second mortgage on a private home.

The government has increased the supply of new flats to draw first-time home owners away from the resale market. But there is a limit to how much demand can be diverted - first-timers account for a quarter of resale transactions. And not all are willing to wait two-and-a-half years for a new flat to be built.

With such market conditions, sellers are commanding higher cash premiums - adding to the overall transaction price. Industry players said the median cash-over-valuation (COV) in the third quarter is about S$35,000 to S$37,000, similar to the previous quarter.

To ease the supply crunch, there was a suggestion to relax the bank loan criteria for HDB upgraders.

ERA Realty's Mr Lim said: "I think when the 60 per cent rule was implemented, the objective was to instil prudence in the buyers. But if you look at the practical point of view, if I'm selling my flat to buy another flat, eventually I will still end up with one property and one mortgage."

If the shortage situation is not resolved, market watchers expect resale flat prices to inch up by another three to four per cent in the last quarter of this year. This would bring the overall price increase to more than 10 per cent in just one year - which makes owning a flat an increasing financial burden.

-CNA/ac
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1157213/1/.html (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1157213/1/.html)

Pte property prices will probably stay at the plateau next year because of growing re-sale HDB prices.

august
04-10-11, 23:26

cooling measure is precisely for such home owners who are taking big risk ~

maisonjai
04-10-11, 23:45
CM to cool pte ppty but hdb resale flats hot wor.
Isn't that rule that doesn't permit pte owners to buy resale hdb created this? Everyone here says die die hold on to hdb cash cow, got money also cannot buy back -> supply crunch. :banghead:
Before GE, ppl complained pte owners fry resale hdb causing it to hit the roof. Headache:doh:

kane
05-10-11, 00:21
for hdb to hdb upgrade, i think they should allow 80% loan, and when they sell their existing hdb, there should be a charge for hdb or the bank to deduct the remaining 20% of the downpayment portion.

the MOP and ownership criteria is sufficient to keep the speculators out.

ysyap
05-10-11, 06:38
2012 will be super exciting when the world economy goes south and the private housing market hits some turbulant waters and the hdb resale market becomes more appealing to upgraders. CM must be reviewed... change according to the requirements of the times. :o

Geylang OKT
05-10-11, 07:03
Property cheong upwards almost 200% and now drop just 10% want a review of cooling measures already meh? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :D :D

ysyap
05-10-11, 07:52
Property cheong upwards almost 200% and now drop just 10% want a review of cooling measures already meh? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :D :D200%? Did I miss something or you talking about from 97? Property prices probably climbed at most 30% or 40% from 09 low. Furthermore, if talking about latest CM introduced 9 months back, property prices probably climbed only 10% to 20%. Also, 10% drop from a high price does not equal to 10% rise from a low price, i.e. 10% drop from $1.2mil = $1.08mil while a 10% rise from $1.08mil = $1.188mil < $1.2mil. :D :spliff:

hyenergix
05-10-11, 07:56
He should be referring to Geylang, which is quite true.

devilplate
05-10-11, 08:27
He should be referring to Geylang, which is quite true.
Geylang older apts rose from 5xx to 7xxpsf since 07

kane
05-10-11, 08:40
The better projects probably doubled at best from 05 to now.

bullman
05-10-11, 08:42
The better projects probably doubled at best from 05 to now.

Not so sure about all projects, but the value for my loft unit at Icon almost tripled from 2006.

kane
05-10-11, 08:50
Not so sure about all projects, but the value for my loft unit at Icon almost tripled from 2006.

You've outperformed the market. :cheers1:

ikan bilis
05-10-11, 09:36
i would hope govt come out another set of cooling measures #5...
resale condo still gone up by about 10-15% since Jan 2011 CM #4...

me bought condo for own staying, not profit making... not selling any sooner..
if private condo market gets too hot, then there will be overbuild, oversupply and bubble, and later on for no good reason/boh-tai-boh-ji it crashes my condo's price even for genuine own staying like me.... :simmering:

gn108
05-10-11, 09:46
Nothing.
CMs won't be anymore added and won't be taken away yet.
How to add more ...with prices moderating and crisis in Europe/US slow.
How to take away when we slap their faces by having price increase ever since CM1 - CM4? Sure cannot lose face - so must have a 'managed' drop in prices first.

ysyap
05-10-11, 10:12
Nothing.
CMs won't be anymore added and won't be taken away yet.
How to add more ...with prices moderating and crisis in Europe/US slow.
How to take away when we slap their faces by having price increase ever since CM1 - CM4? Sure cannot lose face - so must have a 'managed' drop in prices first.KBW already said their implemented measures are having positive effects in the housing market so why must take away now. The call to review the CMs are only noises which the govt may not act on anytime in the near future unless the housing market takes a drastic turn for the worse. :cheers6:

Jadey
05-10-11, 16:09
There is no need to relook into the cooling measures.

The only reason why HDB resale price if still going up is because the price gap between private property and HDB have widen too much over the past few years.

So to balance this, it is either HDB price go up, or Pvt come down.
I think the government is smart enough to know that pvt will have to fall in order to bring housing price under control.

yaozong7
05-10-11, 16:57

The only reason why HDB resale price if still going up is because the price gap between private property and HDB have widen too much over the past few years.

I think the government is smart enough to know that pvt will have to fall in order to bring housing price under control.

Difficult for HDB resale prices to go down in short term unlesss some drastic measures are taken, like 90% capital gains tax on sale of HDB by PRs, sharp decline in foreign influx, or changes in subletting rules etc.

LT wise, Khaw's supply side measures coupled with a drop in foreign influx will eventually have an effect, maybe just in time for 2016.

Jadey
05-10-11, 18:32
Difficult for HDB resale prices to go down in short term unlesss some drastic measures are taken, like 90% capital gains tax on sale of HDB by PRs, sharp decline in foreign influx, or changes in subletting rules etc.

LT wise, Khaw's supply side measures coupled with a drop in foreign influx will eventually have an effect, maybe just in time for 2016.

we are unlikely to see any further measures to cool the property sector, especially in the HDB because by doing so they will be depriving citizens and residents a place to live.

believe the main reason why people are rushing into HDB resale is because private property are out of reach for most and investors and upgraders are expecting pvt property prices to come down.

Jonathan0503
05-10-11, 18:35

I think you need to look at the % increase of HDB price vs private.

Looking at the price difference in absolute amount between HDB and private may be misleading.

I believe the % increase for HDB might not necessarily be lower than private

Jadey
05-10-11, 18:42
I think you need to look at the % increase of HDB price vs private.

Looking at the price difference in absolute amount between HDB and private may be misleading.

I believe the % increase for HDB might not necessarily be lower than private

when times are bad, people will always look at the cost of having a roof above the head. For pvt property, 1 3 bedder the size of 4 room flat will easily cost $1m, if you can get it for 500k in the resale hdb market, your cost of having shelter will be 50% cheaper.

kane
05-10-11, 21:18
but there are some singaporeans who die die must stay in a condo.

land118
05-10-11, 21:49
but there are some singaporeans who die die must stay in a condo.
Maybe 2 Groups of these condo diehards? In bad times,

1. CCR, shift to RCR or OCR
Perhaps CCR owner sell and shift to RCR...

2. Stay in same area, just downgrade to smaller unit or older unit of lower psf

-e.g. CCR dweller downgrade from 4 bedder to 2+1 bedder or shift to older condo in same district

Wonder majority belong to which group...

Jadey
05-10-11, 22:20
as long as we can agree that those buying hdb flats are for own stays, then it cant be wrong that hdb buyers are anticipating correction in pvt property

kane
05-10-11, 22:24
as long as we can agree that those buying hdb flats are for own stays, then it cant be wrong that hdb buyers are anticipating correction in pvt property

agree. as long as they don't end up bidding up the prices of hdb, otherwise their plans may backfire.

Jadey
05-10-11, 22:52
agree. as long as they don't end up bidding up the prices of hdb, otherwise their plans may backfire.

my view is that price of resale hdb will continue till a point where it make more sense to buy private than hdb.

Looking at the price gap of HDB and OCR private, I think there is still some room to move for hdb unless pvt property price take a drastic correction.

information that I got from some key player in the industry is that, price correction in pvt property is no longer about weather is will happen, but how soon and how much.

ysyap
06-10-11, 07:07
my view is that price of resale hdb will continue till a point where it make more sense to buy private than hdb.

Looking at the price gap of HDB and OCR private, I think there is still some room to move for hdb unless pvt property price take a drastic correction.

information that I got from some key player in the industry is that, price correction in pvt property is no longer about weather is will happen, but how soon and how much.2012 start (some suggest 2011 end start). 2013 bottom. Which month? I don't know. LOL. Just a wild speculation! :p

Jadey
06-10-11, 08:18
2012 start (some suggest 2011 end start). 2013 bottom. Which month? I don't know. LOL. Just a wild speculation! :p

correction already started, only question is how far this will continue before we hit bottom.

Allthepies
06-10-11, 08:18
if really want to increase resale hdb supply and bring down resale hdb price, immediately stop allowing hdb to be rented out! this will make hdb to become a lousy asset and dual/multiple unit holder will release them. secondly this has the added benefit to really bring in better grade foreign talents which wat singaporeans wanted. if a ft can only afford hdb rental...wat more can i say.... but of course it will cause a labour supply crunch problem..

hyenergix
06-10-11, 08:40
if really want to increase resale hdb supply and bring down resale hdb price, immediately stop allowing hdb to be rented out! this will make hdb to become a lousy asset and dual/multiple unit holder will release them. secondly this has the added benefit to really bring in better grade foreign talents which wat singaporeans wanted. if a ft can only afford hdb rental...wat more can i say.... but of course it will cause a labour supply crunch problem..

This is a good way of making e blue collar foreign workers rent our condos. Then w good rental e price if condos will increase. Brilliant idea to increase inflation also. More pp will buy condo as a hedge n for passive income.

kane
06-10-11, 08:52

Like you said, we need supply of basic value add workers and they probably can only afford HDB rental.

ysyap
06-10-11, 09:07
if really want to increase resale hdb supply and bring down resale hdb price, immediately stop allowing hdb to be rented out! this will make hdb to become a lousy asset and dual/multiple unit holder will release them. secondly this has the added benefit to really bring in better grade foreign talents which wat singaporeans wanted. if a ft can only afford hdb rental...wat more can i say.... but of course it will cause a labour supply crunch problem..There are simply too many repercussions when hdb is denied rental.

1. The lowest end of rental for foreigners and locals alike will be in the OCR (after hdb is taken out of the equation), which is alot more expensive. This naturally repels foreigners and directly go against govt's policy of bringing in FWs to boost our economy. As such very unlikely govt will head in that direction.

2. Sudden increase in resale hdb supply will simply make a laughing stock out of the current crop of BTO that govt has launched and will be launching over the next few years. Just check out the subscription rate for the SBF (Sale of balanced flats) vs BTO (Build to order) recently. BTO was 1.6 times oversubscribed while SBF was 6 times oversubscribed. Buyers still prefer faster move-in. The sudden supply of resale hdb will severely disturb govt's plan to push out BTOs to balance the housing market.

3. Hbd resale prices will be slightly hit and consequently corrected downward. This will jeapordize the EC sales and consequently the OCR sale volume as upgraders or first timers will prefer a cheaper option. (This may not be true for some who still insist on condo lifestyle) RCR and CCR may not be affected though. Condo prices will fall and foreign investors will not be too attracted to our market anymore. That intricate balance is upset.

devilplate
06-10-11, 09:15
This is a good way of making e blue collar foreign workers rent our condos. Then w good rental e price if condos will increase. Brilliant idea to increase inflation also. More pp will buy condo as a hedge n for passive income.

cannot afford means cannot afford wat

u keen to rent ur condo to a bunch of workers meh?

devilplate
06-10-11, 09:16
Like you said, we need supply of basic value add workers and they probably can only afford HDB rental.

can rent rooms instead lor

cohesion mah....whahaa

hyenergix
06-10-11, 09:18
They will be forced to rent or else they will have to camp at Changi beach. Bosses will have to pay the rent or increase their pay. The bills will eventually be paid for by customers like you and me.

devilplate
06-10-11, 09:18
no nid so drastic measures la as in disallow hdb rental completely...

just revert bck the old rules lah! own both hdb and pte ppty, MUST stay in hdb.....tats it:D

devilplate
06-10-11, 09:19
They will be forced to rent or else they will have to camp at Changi beach. Bosses will have to pay the rent or increase their pay. The bills will eventually be paid for by customers like you and me.

u said it:scared-3:

inflation oredi so high liao:scared-1:

hyenergix
06-10-11, 09:23
It will go higher, because SGD is weakening. Time to shift to Malaysia where everything is so much cheaper. Got to wear PPE for protection from robbers though.

ysyap
06-10-11, 09:23
no nid so drastic measures la as in disallow hdb rental completely...

just revert bck the old rules lah! own both hdb and pte ppty, MUST stay in hdb.....tats it:DOld rules same problem. No hdb rental so FW still cannot afford rental... pack bag and go home liao. :o

Jadey
06-10-11, 09:24

I believe the main purpose of allowing hdb rental is to provide passive income for the lower income and retirees. If we put a stop to this, many low income hdb residents will fall back on their mortgage.

ysyap
06-10-11, 09:24
They will be forced to rent or else they will have to camp at Changi beach. Bosses will have to pay the rent or increase their pay. The bills will eventually be paid for by customers like you and me.Few companies will pay for room rental of their non FT workers, less a condo price rent. If cannot afford to rent, then either stay at Changi beach or pack up and go home. Be a domestic helper sure got free lodging lor! :p

devilplate
06-10-11, 09:32
Old rules same problem. No hdb rental so FW still cannot afford rental... pack bag and go home liao. :o

harlow....No HDB rental at all??!?!?! u sure anot

there r many ppl who moved to their parent's plc and rent out their HDB or parents moved to their place and rent out parent's hdb la

promote family bonding wat! COHESION

last time VERY common for son to stay wif parents after married.....ok wat.....i believe last time family bonding stronger

devilplate
06-10-11, 09:36
It will go higher, because SGD is weakening. Time to shift to Malaysia where everything is so much cheaper. Got to wear PPE for protection from robbers though.

isit really so easy to get a PR in msia?

kane
06-10-11, 09:36
can rent rooms instead lor

cohesion mah....whahaa

You want to do cohesion with them? Heh.

I like your idea of staying in HDB if they own a Pte as well. It's only fair.

gn108
06-10-11, 09:38
What correction?

Agents still selling, asking prices are still top prices.
Buyers still buying??

correction already started, only question is how far this will continue before we hit bottom.

ysyap
06-10-11, 09:38
harlow....No HDB rental at all??!?!?! u sure anot

there r many ppl who moved to their parent's plc and rent out their HDB or parents moved to their place and rent out parent's hdb la

promote family bonding wat! COHESION

last time VERY common for son to stay wif parents after married.....ok wat.....i believe last time family bonding strongerAgreed that last time family bonding stronger but today, not many couples want to move in with their parents/in laws. Difficult to convince them. Not like last time. Today, after speaking to my colleagues at office, none of those who are young couples or newly weds will even comtemplate moving with their parents... sigh! I think I also won't. My wife will murder me if we move in too. Old rules works well for older folks. :D The number of FW needing to rent in HDB flats will severely outweigh the number of young families willing to bunk in with their in laws. LOL!

hyenergix
06-10-11, 09:39
isit really so easy to get a PR in msia?

Malaysia has a 2nd home scheme. Alternatively you can convert your religion and have up to 4 wives - 1 in Singapore and 3 in Malaysia. Easier to get PR I suppose.

ysyap
06-10-11, 09:41
Malaysia has a 2nd home scheme. Alternatively you can convert your religion and have up to 4 wives - 1 in Singapore and 3 in Malaysia. Easier to get PR I suppose.Oh yes, my colleague mentioned that to his wife and got that dagger look! LOL! Maybe when he's in Malaysia then no dagger look. LOL!

devilplate
06-10-11, 09:44
What correction?

Agents still selling, asking prices are still top prices.
Buyers still buying??

ok based on my reliable sources, big ticket items hardly got any calls for viewing.....below 1mil still ok...i am toking about pte ppty resale market......new launches can just refer to ura:D

up to u to believe lah:)

devilplate
06-10-11, 09:49
Agreed that last time family bonding stronger but today, not many couples want to move in with their parents/in laws. Difficult to convince them. Not like last time. Today, after speaking to my colleagues at office, none of those who are young couples or newly weds will even comtemplate moving with their parents... sigh! I think I also won't. My wife will murder me if we move in too. Old rules works well for older folks. :D The number of FW needing to rent in HDB flats will severely outweigh the number of family willing to bunk in with their in laws. LOL!

yes i agree difficult lor...

but it takes time to build up the trend of multi gen living again:D

stay wif parents goodie one lor.....couples no nid to tink who to take care of their babies rite? so so convenient....parents stay tgt and help take care their kids:D :D :D

its bcoz yng couples move out to start their family....and den parents cannot constantly nag at them to give birth and aso worry about the incoveniences of having a baby....den our birth rate been declining since duno how many yrs back:doh:

devilplate
06-10-11, 09:52
Malaysia has a 2nd home scheme. Alternatively you can convert your religion and have up to 4 wives - 1 in Singapore and 3 in Malaysia. Easier to get PR I suppose.

the idea of shifting to msia is to reduce cost of living....but ended wif more burdens instead lor....whahhahahaha

ysyap
06-10-11, 09:53
yes i agree difficult lor...

but it takes time to build up the trend of multi gen living again:D

stay wif parents goodie one lor.....couples no nid to tink who to take care of their babies rite? so so convenient....parents stay tgt and help take care their kids:D :D :D

its bcoz yng couples move out to start their family....and den parents cannot constantly nag at them to give birth and aso worry about the incoveniences of having a baby....den our birth rate been declining since duno how many yrs back:doh:I actually am for the idea of stayin together. So much tangible benefits but after seeing the 'war' and unspoken expectations between my better half and my mother, and always been stuck between both ladies, I really shudder at the thought of moving together. I think I'll collapse before any of them. No joke, really. :tsk-tsk:

devilplate
06-10-11, 10:06
I actually am for the idea of stayin together. So much tangible benefits but after seeing the 'war' and unspoken expectations between my better half and my mother, and always been stuck between both ladies, I really shudder at the thought of moving together. I think I'll collapse before any of them. No joke, really. :tsk-tsk:

vy common....generation gap mah.....stay tgt oredi got gap to narrow liao....move out, the gap will only widen.....tats y old folks hm is a growing trend:doh:

Laguna
06-10-11, 10:48
I plan to have three units in the same condo, two for my children, all stay in the same condo but not in the same unit...
I think this is the best arrangement for all...

devilplate
06-10-11, 10:49
I plan to have three units in the same condo, two for my children, all stay in the same condo but not in the same unit...

ur kids so fortunate;)

Laguna
06-10-11, 10:51
ur kids so fortunate;)

afterall, all my monies are their monies
I am now spending their monies rather than my monies

most important, is to be together, happy and healthy
what else u can ask for?

Jadey
06-10-11, 11:04

I would definitely not start my kids life with a prepaid condo.
I would rather they slog and buy their own condo or HDB flat.

Jadey
06-10-11, 11:08
afterall, all my monies are their monies
I am now spending their monies rather than my monies

most important, is to be together, happy and healthy
what else u can ask for?

you might be teaching your children the wrong value of money.

Together forever sound great, but in reality your children will have to deal with their in laws and their partners. Do they want to live together with you?

As parent, I would strong advise against living too close to your kids or else you will ruin their happiness.

yowetan
06-10-11, 11:13
I will try my best to get one Mt Sinai unit.

Jadey
06-10-11, 11:14
I will try my best to get one Mt Sinai unit.

will it drop to 1100psf? :D

yowetan
06-10-11, 11:18
will it drop to 1100psf? :D

Hi Jadey,

I am really hope it will lower to 1100psf or even lesser, so I can fufill my dream.

Laguna
06-10-11, 11:26
you might be teaching your children the wrong value of money.

Together forever sound great, but in reality your children will have to deal with their in laws and their partners. Do they want to live together with you?

As parent, I would strong advise against living too close to your kids or else you will ruin their happiness.

They have the choice. I am very open to their decision so long they are happy.

And what is the right value of money to u?

Jadey
06-10-11, 11:27
Hi Jadey,

I am really hope it will lower to 1100psf or even lesser, so I can fufill my dream.

I do have a soft spot for that area as well. almost bought Marbella when it was launched. which development are you eyeing (if yuo dont mind sharing)

Jadey
06-10-11, 11:34
They have the choice. I am very open to their decision so long they are happy.

And what is the right value of money to u?

The choice of working their long hours to pay for own mortgage or to collect the keys to the condo given to them by ma and pa? What kind of choice is that?

By over providing, your children will not understand value of money, ie, the effort and work one must give in order to earn that $. Just like how domesticated pets will find it hard to survive in the wild.

just my 2 cents.

yowetan
06-10-11, 11:35
I do have a soft spot for that area as well. almost bought Marbella when it was launched. which development are you eyeing (if yuo dont mind sharing)

I like Montview but I feel Glentree would suits my family better as it is near to Henry Park Primary.

Laguna
06-10-11, 11:44
The choice of working their long hours to pay for own mortgage or to collect the keys to the condo given to them by ma and pa? What kind of choice is that?

By over providing, your children will not understand value of money, ie, the effort and work one must give in order to earn that $. Just like how domesticated pets will find it hard to survive in the wild.

just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the 2 cents.
Your comment reflects the success story of our education system.
But, not my cup of tea.

phantom_opera
06-10-11, 12:11
If one thinks as long as children gets into top primary school and therefore they can be successful in life, they cannot be more mistaken. A school that has the right balance of IQ and EQ training is anytime better than a school that spend 90% of resources on IQ only. Go and meet the principal, walk around the school, be a parent volunteer to understand the school culture and inclination. Don't just blindly trust the "brand name".

hyenergix
06-10-11, 13:11

Do you think your children's spouse will like that?

masterkey
06-10-11, 13:14
2012 start (some suggest 2011 end start). 2013 bottom. Which month? I don't know. LOL. Just a wild speculation! :p Could be a wide bottom. Remember the plateau of 2002 - 2006. Let's hope its not a sharp correction but a gentle landing to a shallow bottom. Dreaming? :beats-me-man:

yowetan
06-10-11, 13:27
Let's look forward to a correction, or a possibly crash then.

masterkey
06-10-11, 13:28
I like Montview but I feel Glentree would suits my family better as it is near to Henry Park Primary.
Just a thought - what IF your kid is not admitted into HPP? Touch wood, but I mean this is several years down the road and by then there will be more and more competing for places, you may need to ballot even with an address within 1km. If unsuccessful at HPP, other nearby schools are Pei Tong, MCS and Fairfield, all cat A schools and all outside 1km, i.e. probably no chance.
Will a Mt Sinai property then become a burden rather than a blessing? I just want to caution you against putting all your expectations (and money) on HPP.

edit: Confused Pei Tong with other Pei X schools. Pei Tong should be easier to gain admission. But will you be happy with Pei Tong?

yowetan
06-10-11, 13:34
Just a thought - what IF your kid is not admitted into HPP? Touch wood, but I mean this is several years down the road and by then there will be more and more competing for places, you may need to ballot even with an address within 1km. If unsuccessful at HPP, other nearby schools are Pei Tong, MCS and Fairfield, all cat A schools and all outside 1km, i.e. probably no chance.
Will a Mt Sinai property then become a burden rather than a blessing? I just want to caution you against putting all your expectations (and money) on HPP.

edit: Confused Pei Tong with other Pei X schools. Pei Tong should be easier to gain admission. But will you be happy with Pei Tong?

Thanks for explaining and running through the consequences with me on the Mt Sinai selection.

Mt Sinai has always been my personal preference, and HPP is just happen to be an additional factor to spur and justify the reason to go for that area. I always like quiet, peaceful serene place and I believe Mt Sinai has that midas touch. Besides, that place is accessible to other places as well.

Jadey
06-10-11, 13:42
Let's look forward to a correction, or a possibly crash then.

I am expect the correction to be around 15% (max).

Do you think it will be more?

yowetan
06-10-11, 13:45
I am expect the correction to be around 15% (max).

Do you think it will be more?

I dont know, I am no economy expert. I do hope there is a correction but too much correction will results in higher risk job security.

I believe it should be balance. I definitely want my job over Mt Sinai when that devasting thing takes place.

Jadey
06-10-11, 13:48
I dont know, I am no economy expert. I do hope there is a correction but too much correction will results in higher risk job security.

I believe it should be balance. I definitely want my job over Mt Sinai when that devasting thing takes place.

Jobs will have to go first before property price can come down. No 2 ways about it.

masterkey
06-10-11, 13:56
Jobs will have to go first before property price can come down. No 2 ways about it.

It's a package, can't cherry pick. So anyone hoping for a crash, spare a thought about those fathers/husbands/sons who will be retrenched, who will be putting their property up for fire sale, and from whom you will be getting your "best buy".

But if they are speculators who drove up the market, then no sympathies. :D

radha08
06-10-11, 14:13
It's a package, can't cherry pick. So anyone hoping for a crash, spare a thought about those fathers/husbands/sons who will be retrenched, who will be putting their property up for fire sale, and from whom you will be getting your "best buy".

But if they are speculators who drove up the market, then no sympathies. :D

thats why one should never over commit when buying property...rule of thumb...:cool:

peterng8
06-10-11, 14:42
thats why one should never over commit when buying property...rule of thumb...:cool:

there is an article from Ku Swee yong at Today newpaper(forget which day of this week)...he mentions that too and it is singaporeans who are buying at high price at some districts like there is no tomorrow :)

hyenergix
06-10-11, 14:45
How come admin Mr Funny so relax nowadays. Seldom c news on properties?

devilplate
06-10-11, 18:30
Do you think your children's spouse will like that?
Tats y old folks home vy popular now...:hell-hath-no-fury:

chiaberry
06-10-11, 19:33

If the economic woes continue, almost everything will come down together. Your bonus/pay increment or even worse still your job (those in financial services most vulnerable unless you are indispensible in yr current job).

Cash will be king. If you are holding onto other property or investments, those will come down together with the economy.

Even doctors are not immune. The patients will flood to restructured hospitals to seek treatment rather than go privately. Means testing may have to be implemented with a vengeance as the restructured hospitals will be bursting at the seams.

hyenergix
06-10-11, 20:21
Tenants will either lose their jobs n return home, or move to HDB... Next year will b gloomy.

ysyap
06-10-11, 21:13
Tenants will either lose their jobs n return home, or move to HDB... Next year will b gloomy.As such, HDB forming the lowest tier of housing rentals will still be able to rake in the rental revenue. OCR near mrt still ok. Don't want to say much about RCR and CCR... :tsk-tsk:

devilplate
06-10-11, 22:10
If the economic woes continue, almost everything will come down together. Your bonus/pay increment or even worse still your job (those in financial services most vulnerable unless you are indispensible in yr current job).

Cash will be king. If you are holding onto other property or investments, those will come down together with the economy.

Even doctors are not immune. The patients will flood to restructured hospitals to seek treatment rather than go privately. Means testing may have to be implemented with a vengeance as the restructured hospitals will be bursting at the seams.
Geylang okt is recession proof:p

kingkong1984
06-10-11, 22:17
but got a lot of competition.

hyenergix
06-10-11, 22:30
As such, HDB forming the lowest tier of housing rentals will still be able to rake in the rental revenue. OCR near mrt still ok. Don't want to say much about RCR and CCR... :tsk-tsk:

There are really more angmos in HDB heartland. You can even see them in coffeeshops.

kane
06-10-11, 23:11
There are really more angmos in HDB heartland. You can even see them in coffeeshops.

ordering beer by the bottles and serve by the beer aunties.

devilplate
06-10-11, 23:13
Oredi got angmor ppty agt, sales promoter.....

kane
06-10-11, 23:16

it's a growing market mah.

Laguna
07-10-11, 08:00

just my 2 cents.

In fact, this has reminded me of Robert Kiyosaki's poor dad.
One must work hard, to earn and to save.

But, fortunately I dun teach my children this way to understand the Value of Money, I share with my children is the Power of Money, which is very different from the traditional Value of Money by working hard and to earn that $.

Laguna

just my 2 cents.

But, fortunately I dun teach my children this way to understand the Value of Money, I share with my children is the Power of Money, which is very different from the traditional Value of Money by working hard and to earn that $.

Laguna

just my 2 cents.

Laguna
duplicate posting

Regulators
07-10-11, 08:27
It is ultimately the power of the brain, not money. An intelligent guy can even turn shit to money but a fool and his money will always part :D

Laguna
07-10-11, 08:33
It is ultimately the power of the brain, not money. An intelligent guy can even turn shit to money but a fool and his money will always part :D

yes, fully agree to this. U put this in a better term.
A lot of people been working so hard and have no time to look into others.
There are 4Q, NQ (ie No -Q), FQ, IQ and EQ.

ecimbew
07-10-11, 08:43

Not to mention young Angmos (golden hair and white skin) in active unit. Counted at least 5 when I went back for reservist.

Regulators
07-10-11, 08:47
A civil servant once told me the worst are scholar civil servants who spend more time delving in office politics than doing anything else. They know their job is secure so have that kind of complacency and free time to play politics. Tan Jee Say should have been elected to try to help clean up the shit in the civil service. A scholar's brain is treasured like gold when the enter civil service, after they enter, their brain becomes filled with shit most of the time. These so called talents are being wasted away in the civil service when they can contribute more to society in the private sector as entrepreneurs, inventors and scientific researchers.

Laguna
07-10-11, 08:52
A civil servant once told me the worst are scholar civil servants who spend more time delving in office politics than doing anything else. They know their job is secure so have that kind of complacency and free time to play politics. Tan Jee Say should have been elected to try to help clean up the shit in the civil service. A scholar's brain is treasured like gold when the enter civil service, after they enter, their brain becomes filled with shit most of the time. These so called talents are being wasted away in the civil service when they can contribute more to society in the private sector as entrepreneurs, inventors and scientific researchers.

One of the worst is, they put up all sort of policy papers, claimed the credit, dun care the practicality, and move on. So the next one, implement the shit, and end up wasting money..and move on...

In fact, I also pity these scholars if they are not the elite admin services. They compare themselves to the peers, particularly those in the tier 1 banking, they find themselves so far behind, and they are bonded with no career freedom.

Regulators
07-10-11, 08:59
Bro, a tier 1 banker is paid top dollar but their head is on the chopping board constantly and promotion is really performance based. A super scale civil servant is paid at least $10k a month for a super low risk job at the expense of our money. They produce shit and still stay in the service. Of course if related to familee lagi better, secured for life (eg. Wks...oops this joker is not even a scholar)
One of the worst is, they put up all sort of policy papers, claimed the credit, dun care the practicality, and move on. So the next one, implement the shit, and end up wasting money..and move on...

In fact, I also pity these scholars if they are not the elite admin services. They compare themselves to the peers, particularly those in the tier 1 banking, they find themselves so far behind, and they are bonded with no career freedom.

DC33_2008
07-10-11, 09:10
That is the problem of our education system: Study Hard and Get Good Grades, Work Hard and Make $. Did not teach how to make $ by leveraging.

thomastansb
07-10-11, 09:17
If everybody knows, how we make $ ?

That is the problem of our education system: Study Hard and Get Good Grades, Work Hard and Make $. Did not teach how to make $ by leveraging.

devilplate
07-10-11, 09:18

which sch in this world teaches tat? even u goto top finance/economic sch, they dun teach u how to make $$$.....they only teach u how to analyse and write report:p

work hard is essential but nid to work smart too...

devilplate
07-10-11, 09:25

govt job wat....deal wif people and politics....so starts from office politics lor....

if all the top scholars join pte sector, den who become civil servant and run our country?

not everyone can b a civil servant.....and those who failed to rise up the ladder and condemned lot will tell u bad stories about civil service.....vy common one la....

Jadey
07-10-11, 09:26

I am not sure if you just made that up or something.

Learning the value of money is not about being slave to money, rather learn to treasure and understand the value of money so that you will use the money to work for you. (this is mentioned in RK book. Did you missed it?)

Fortunately? I am not really sure about that. If you are going teach your kids about the power of money, I am sure they will end up feeling like an elitist among peers from poorer families, and slaves to people who are richer.

Maybe you should consider teaching them about power of knowledge instead.

my 2 cents

gn108
07-10-11, 09:27
Honest mistake lah - just move on.

What flood? - "only happens once in 50 years"...unless it happens againx2.
If it doesn't...then would you know it's not a once in 50 year event?
They are too smart for the common man ...can't compete..."MOVE ON"

[quote=Laguna]One of the worst is, they put up all sort of policy papers, claimed the credit, dun care the practicality, and move on. So the next one, implement the shit, and end up wasting money..and move on...

devilplate
07-10-11, 09:32
imagine ur dad is very rich....and den he tell u not to ask him for any favours/help after u graduate.....he stays in bungalow and u find a 3k starting grad pay.....take mrt.....apply hdb bto.....LOL

Laguna
07-10-11, 09:40
imagine ur dad is very rich....and den he tell u not to ask him for any favours/help after u graduate.....he stays in bungalow and u find a 3k starting grad pay.....take mrt.....apply hdb bto.....LOL

LOL, got friends like that...
becos of the $30,000 grant from HDB lor

devilplate
07-10-11, 09:42
I am not sure if you just made that up or something.

Learning the value of money is not about being slave to money, rather learn to treasure and understand the value of money so that you will use the money to work for you. (this is mentioned in RK book. Did you missed it?)

Fortunately? I am not really sure about that. If you are going teach your kids about the power of money, I am sure they will end up feeling like an elitist among peers from poorer families, and slaves to people who are richer.

Maybe you should consider teaching them about power of knowledge instead.

my 2 cents

so if u r a multi millionaire wif more den 10mil in assets and cash, wat will u tell ur kids and wat will u provide them after they grad?

Jadey
07-10-11, 09:56
so if u r a multi millionaire wif more den 10mil in assets and cash, wat will u tell ur kids and wat will u provide them after they grad?

Weather I have $500k or $500m, my number 1 priority will be to put them through the best possible education. If they are smart like their parents, they will know how to make their own money, there is no need to ma and pa to give condo for them to start a family.

What I will tell the kids? you came into this world with nothing, and you will leave with nothing. Regardless how rich you are, the final destination for all is the same.

devilplate
07-10-11, 10:02
Weather I have $500k or $500m, my number 1 priority will be to put them through the best possible education. If they are smart like their parents, they will know how to make their own money, there is no need to ma and pa to give condo for them to start a family.

What I will tell the kids? you came into this world with nothing, and you will leave with nothing. Regardless how rich you are, the final destination for all is the same.

so after they graduate, u will not assist them financially in any way completely? let say u have a biz empire, u will tell them to find a job via the normal route without pulling strings?

Laguna
07-10-11, 10:02

LOL...weather and whether
begger's life is the same as the millionaires'

Jadey
07-10-11, 10:06
so after they graduate, u will not assist them financially in any way completely? let say u have a biz empire, u will tell them to find a job via the normal route without pulling strings?

Of course they will have to start their life by working for others and get their arse kick in the real world before joining my company. By doing so, they will learn to respect their colleagues, bring new ideas to the company and also make their rookie mistakes at the cost of others.

You writing a book on parenting?

devilplate
07-10-11, 10:07
LOL...weather and whether
begger's life is the same as the millionaires'

hahaha

i definitely will not tell my kids tat they born with nothing and leave with nothing.....hehe

they might become monks/nun:eek: :p

devilplate
07-10-11, 10:08
Of course they will have to start their life by working for others and get their arse kick in the real world before joining my company. By doing so, they will learn to respect their colleagues, bring new ideas to the company and also make their rookie mistakes at the cost of others.

You writing a book on parenting?

so zero financial assistance too?

my english so bad how to write a book? u must b joking!:p

Laguna
07-10-11, 10:11
hahaha

i definitely will not tell my kids tat they born with nothing and leave with nothing.....hehe

what to do?
this person is in a dfferent league

devilplate
07-10-11, 10:12
i wonder how to maintain a relationship wif ur kids if parents filthy rich and kids goto crave their own wealth without any form of financial assistance from parents.....how many kids will understand such parents? how their frens/society will say and tink?

its easier said den done:2cents:

we r human beings afterall.....:hell-hath-no-fury:

Jadey
07-10-11, 10:22
hahaha

I actually got that advice from some friends from ultra high net worth families.

Perhaps your net worth is not high enough so that's why you dont need to teach you kids about learning to be humble about your family financial position.

Just guessing.

devilplate
07-10-11, 10:23
I actually got that advice from some friends from the ultra high net worth families.

Perhaps your net worth is not high enough so that why you dont need to teach you kids about learning to be humble about your family financial position.

Just guessing.

so now u r telling me the advice r only applicable to UHNW families?

Worsty
07-10-11, 10:24
Escrow the wealth to a trust fund or inheritance to ensure that payments to them on a time basis depending on certain conditions being met, ie got into starting line up for his CCAs in school, enter NS, reach university, get married, getting a home, give birth to your grandkids, starting a business, can be for anything really etc etc.

At every landmark in life, if the target's not met, then simply donate it to claim tax rebates and enjoy your life even more. :D

Jadey
07-10-11, 10:27
so now u r telling me the advice r only applicable to UHNW families?

I am not here to teach you how to make babies and how to bring them up.

Just sharing.

devilplate
07-10-11, 10:32
Escrow the wealth to a trust fund or inheritance to ensure that payments to them on a time basis depending on certain conditions being met, ie got into starting line up for his CCAs in school, enter NS, reach university, get married, getting a home, give birth to your grandkids, starting a business, can be for anything really etc etc.

At every landmark in life, if the target's not met, then simply donate it to claim tax rebates and enjoy your life even more. :D

i will not do tat:scared-3:

imagine marry for the sake of getting another one lump sum......den give birth to get another sum of $$ etc....:scared-3: :scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1:

Worsty
07-10-11, 10:35
UHNW kids usually have very good upbringing. Maybe only like 10% are spoilt brats but generally, they understand that they are born with a platinum spoon and it's just so natural to enjoy the finer things in life.

What's really important for them is to get into the correct sec school (ACS, RI, RGS, MGS, SCGS) and then university (most Ivy leagues, some UK unis depending on faculty). There will be a number that will have average grades in sec school, 15-20 pointers, B,B,C etc for A's and really i think that's where the issue with our education system here. I must have known at least 50 in my JC that got worst than B,B,C for their A's but at least 1350 for their SATs. Even know one with C, D, D and 1500+ for her SATs. Coupled with their wealth, Ivy leagues, here we come.

Primary school and JC/Poly's overrated.

You'll work and earn money from all your classmates, their friends and their families anyway.

Worsty
07-10-11, 10:37
i will not do tat:scared-3:

imagine marry for the sake of getting another one lump sum......den give birth to get another sum of $$ etc....:scared-3: :scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1:

No la. Just give some examples of the top of my head. Depending on what sort of parents you are. If i ever have a kid that's gay or lesbian and obviously can't marry here, will i not help him or her out financially if they seek my help and i do have the means to help?

devilplate
07-10-11, 10:38
UHNW kids usually have very good upbringing. Maybe only like 10% are spoilt brats but generally, they understand that they are born with a platinum spoon and it's just so natural to enjoy the finer things in life.

this is very questionable:rolleyes:

of coz the kids will not commit crimes like theft.....unlike very poor families

Worsty
07-10-11, 10:49
this is very questionable:rolleyes:

of coz the kids will not commit crimes like theft.....unlike very poor families

Well, granted i can't speak for all, but i do know that in my sec/JC cohort, they are all brought up very nicely, learned the right values, and knowing how to pursue their own goals instead of what society/gahmens and their families preferred them to do.

devilplate
07-10-11, 10:58
Well, granted i can't speak for all, but i do know that in my sec/JC cohort, they are all brought up very nicely, learned the right values, and knowing how to pursue their own goals instead of what society/gahmens and their families preferred them to do.

'values' can differ very much from every individuals lor....

remember there is a debate on moral values recently wif regards to the sea view saga

Worsty
07-10-11, 13:46
'values' can differ very much from every individuals lor....

remember there is a debate on moral values recently wif regards to the sea view saga

True true. Shan't bore the rest with our views on values then :D

In general, i'm saying they're mostly nice bunch of people. Not self centered.