PDA

View Full Version : Leasehold near MRT or freehold far from MRT..wats ur choice?

radha08
13-10-11, 15:53
Been doing the groundwork for a suitable/safe form of property investment (apt/condo)which i might venture in the next 6 to 9 mths when $$$ is right:D...my main areas of concern being a prudent investor...are...

1)rental potential
2) capital appreciation as well as being able to hold value during downturn
3) Liveability in case i need to stay there
4) peace/quiet;) enviroment

for the sake of argument and clarity maybe i just highlight 2 similarly priced condos with VERY different attributes...

1) Astoria park...NEXT to kembangan MRT..99 yr leasehold
2) Changi court..FREEHOLD...next to upcoming upperchangi mrt/4th uni..

current pricing for 2 bedder at both places about 900k to 1million...

i WOULD be comfortable going in at 800k(next year?)...hope thats realistic

i find it very difficult to choose one over another...my 2:2cents: thoughts...

1)Astoria Park...cant go wrong next to east/west mrt line(always be in demand),kemabangan area quite nice surrounded by private property,i know got to be careful in unit selection cos some units can be noisy facing track,a bit concerned about big open field next to mrt..wats coming up there another condo??....being a 99 year property i dont know how much more it can appreciate??

2) Changi court....looks more like dormitories than condo..:D...TREMENDOUS potential if no screw ups with 4th uni and MRT(given spore track record should be no issue)....ENBLOC potential...maybe...rentability for next few years doesnt look promising till uni/mrt comes up...FREEHOLD...that is the MAGIC word....:)

so since we all here to TCSS let me hear ur views.....:D

gn108
13-10-11, 16:04
Rental - go for want your target tenants want (pool/view/MRT/malls/etc)
Used to only consider FH/999, but now open to good location/MRT/layout/view/rentability for investment that are 99LH.
For own stay - sounds like you have answered your own question...FH with peace/quiet

Been doing the groundwork for a suitable/safe form of property investment (apt/condo)which i might venture in the next 6 to 9 mths when $$$ is right:D...my main areas of concern being a prudent investor...are...

1)rental potential

for the sake of argument and clarity maybe i just highlight 2 similarly priced condos with VERY different attributes...

1)Astoria Park...cant go wrong next to east/west mrt line(always be in demand),kemabangan area quite nice surrounded by private property,i know got to be careful in unit selection cos some units can be noisy facing track,a bit concerned about big open field next to mrt..wats coming up there another condo??....being a 99 year property i dont know how much more it can appreciate??

2) Changi court....looks more like dormitories than condo..:D...TREMENDOUS potential if no screw ups with 4th uni and MRT(given spore track record should be no issue)....ENBLOC potential...maybe...rentability for next few years doesnt look promising till uni/mrt comes up...FREEHOLD...that is the MAGIC word....:)

whoh757
13-10-11, 16:21
Astoria Park: 99 yr, TOP 1995. It is almost 20yr lease gone. . Perhaps you can consider a 99yr ppty near mrt but less than 10yr or so? :2cents:

hopeful
13-10-11, 16:49
how about compare the Arte and the coming Bedok MRT condo?
which is better buy for capital gains and rental yield?

DC33_2008
13-10-11, 16:56
Bedok should be better than the Arte as there is no mrt stn and got non-stop noise from the PIE.
how about compare the Arte and the coming Bedok MRT condo?
which is better buy for capital gains and rental yield?

hopeful
13-10-11, 17:04
Bedok should be better than the Arte as there is no mrt stn and got non-stop noise from the PIE.

if the Arte selling for 1200psf and the bedok MRT condo selling for 1400psf, tough choice to make.

DC33_2008
13-10-11, 17:09
Cannot compare as they will be of different size.
if the Arte selling for 1200psf and the bedok MRT condo selling for 1400psf, tough choice to make.

marktkt22
13-10-11, 17:29
If price didnt drop by next 12mth, then no need to discuss...
There are hordes of potential buyer ....
Going to be a long wait

Montaigne
13-10-11, 17:36
Long term - Freehold. Ok I will only consider FH if I plan to stay in.

Ronan Loh
13-10-11, 17:52
2 bedder 958ft astoria park was transacted not more than 500k at years 2006....:scared-1:

radha08
13-10-11, 17:53
:D
If price didnt drop by next 12mth, then no need to discuss...
There are hordes of potential buyer ....
Going to be a long wait

yup i am one of them...:D

Regulators
13-10-11, 18:37
New launches still overly priced. The shop units at the new suites at bukit timah (mixed development) beside beauty world mrt selling for $4500psf, really ridiculous imo. I think the mickey mouse residential units for the project asking for close to $2000psf :doh:

buttercarp
13-10-11, 20:06
Astoria Park: 99 yr, TOP 1995. It is almost 20yr lease gone. . Perhaps you can consider a 99yr ppty near mrt but less than 10yr or so? :2cents:

Agree with you, whoh757 .
I won't buy Astoria because of it is an old 99yLH.
radha08, what about kembangan plaza?
It is freehold but the units seem to be facing the MRT line, so it can be pretty noisy.

Saw some advert on it.
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/project-listings/kembangan-plaza-2082

radha08
13-10-11, 21:57
Agree with you, whoh757 .
I won't buy Astoria because of it is an old 99yLH.
radha08, what about kembangan plaza?
It is freehold but the units seem to be facing the MRT line, so it can be pretty noisy.

Saw some advert on it.
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/project-listings/kembangan-plaza-2082

hmm thats why i love this forum...:) ....many many pairs of eyes...:D i was so focussed on astoria park cos i see it from the train that i failed to look elsewhere..kemb plaza thats a thought..no facilities...but hey its FH...so whats more imp a big hole with water(pool)...or land that is forever ever yours...ha ha...anyways by next week i am moving in around that area so will...personally sniff out the area...:spliff:

Regulators
13-10-11, 22:25
You can also try telok kurau lorong g, 5 min to kembangan mrt and also better district number.
hmm thats why i love this forum...:) ....many many pairs of eyes...:D i was so focussed on astoria park cos i see it from the train that i failed to look elsewhere..kemb plaza thats a thought..no facilities...but hey its FH...so whats more imp a big hole with water(pool)...or land that is forever ever yours...ha ha...anyways by next week i am moving in around that area so will...personally sniff out the area...:spliff:

chiaberry
13-10-11, 23:00

The MRT track is seriously noisy.

radha08
13-10-11, 23:04
The MRT track is seriously noisy.

yup i realised that few weeks ago when i was scouting around for rental property i was looking at some houses at bedok terrace this is quite far off from tanah merah mrt seperated by quite a dense jungle growth but suprisingly could still hear the rumbling of the trains...:scared-3:...thats why sometimes i feel underground stations still the best....:cool:

radha08
13-10-11, 23:06
You can also try telok kurau lorong g, 5 min to kembangan mrt and also better district number.

yup telok kurau is nice but some of the older apts there got quite a number of scantily dressed mei meis living there....:D...actually quite pleasing to the eyes when the wifes not around...:D:D:D

Allthepies
14-10-11, 07:42
this is easy, bedok mrt if u have the $$$

kane
14-10-11, 08:31

Too far apart, basis for comparison less, should say between arte and the new Bishan project which should one pick.

radha08
14-10-11, 08:36

hmm seriously worth considering...:)

TKT
14-10-11, 09:48
yup telok kurau is nice but some of the older apts there got quite a number of scantily dressed mei meis living there....:D...actually quite pleasing to the eyes when the wifes not around...:D:D:D

Got mei mei meh? which lorong ar?

I agree Lorong G and also H, these two Lorongs are actually very good location, in terms of proximity to MRT.
Lorong G also has the advantage of 3 exit points, so it is not so 'cluttered' feeling.

Imho, the rest of Lorongs are abit too far from MRT and probably more suited if driving...

So, when considering T Kurau, be aware.

devilplate
14-10-11, 09:56
Got mei mei meh? which lorong ar?

I agree Lorong G and also H, these two Lorongs are actually very good location, in terms of proximity to MRT.
Lorong G also has the advantage of 3 exit points, so it is not so 'cluttered' feeling.

Imho, the rest of Lorongs are abit too far from MRT and probably more suited if driving...

So, when considering T Kurau, be aware.

i believe lor M,N commands highest psf in TK rather den G,H:2cents:

Laguna
14-10-11, 10:23

ya, wait for The Seawind
the townhouses are calling for >$4m
and psf is around $1500

TKT
14-10-11, 10:29

bro,
if driving Lorong M,N, etc all ok lar... but pls refer to TS, proximity to MRT was the discussion issue here... :2cents:

devilplate
14-10-11, 11:04
bro,
if driving Lorong M,N, etc all ok lar... but pls refer to TS, proximity to MRT was the discussion issue here... :2cents:
Regardless got drive anot, i wud avoid lor j,k,l....actually m also not so gd....

But agree lor g bestest bcoz got 3exits:D

radha08
14-10-11, 11:30
Regardless got drive anot, i wud avoid lor j,k,l....actually m also not so gd....

But agree lor g bestest bcoz got 3exits:D

bro looks like u king of the lorongs...:D

devilplate
14-10-11, 11:32
bro looks like u king of the lorongs...:D

Geylang okt is 2nd to none ok!:p

devilplate
14-10-11, 12:16
How about regency lodge going for 12xxpsf? Fh, river valley

radha08
14-10-11, 13:21
How about regency lodge going for 12xxpsf? Fh, river valley

i am an east person....now a bit sidetracked by the bedok residences thread....:D ...if can get 3 bedder 1 to 1.1k psf i might bite..:)

fiat500
14-10-11, 15:43

1)rental potential

forget about telok kurau! even the nearest lorong G is a long walk from kembangan mrt.

if u want the best of both worlds,very near mrt n FH,right across astoria park along jalan masjid,u can have a selection of kembangan suites,d'gallery n bliss residences.

all the above 3 are small projects,FH n it comes with basic facilities like pool n gym. kembangan suites just T.O.P a few mths ago while the other 2 are less than 5yrs old.
needless to say,they are all very rentable as its only a 1min walk to the mrt.. :cheers6:

eng81157
14-10-11, 15:50
i would pick the former, as long as there isn't any chugging of trains to destroy my peace 24/7.

Regulators
14-10-11, 16:20
lor g to kembangan is 5 minutes walk, if that is far to you, then what is near? i was looking around that area last time and ever tried walking from lor g to kembangan, really near. telok kurau is in a better district number (15) compared to trumps or astoria which is in 14. When it comes to selling, D15 draws more interest than D14.

forget about telok kurau! even the nearest lorong G is a long walk from kembangan mrt.

if u want the best of both worlds,very near mrt n FH,right across astoria park along jalan masjid,u can have a selection of kembangan suites,d'gallery n bliss residences.

all the above 3 are small projects,FH n it comes with basic facilities like pool n gym. kembangan suites just T.O.P a few mths ago while the other 2 are less than 5yrs old.
needless to say,they are all very rentable as its only a 1min walk to the mrt.. :cheers6:

fiat500
14-10-11, 17:52
lor g to kembangan is 5 minutes walk, if that is far to you, then what is near? i was looking around that area last time and ever tried walking from lor g to kembangan, really near. telok kurau is in a better district number (15) compared to trumps or astoria which is in 14. When it comes to selling, D15 draws more interest than D14.
its only quite near provided your apartment is located just beside the siglap park connector along lorong G..
fyi,lorong G is a long stretch of road,if yr condo is at the beginning or middle of lorong G,u will have a beautiful looooooong walk home.if it rains,good luck to u cos theres no shelter at all..:cheers6: :cheers6:

to me,near to mrt is like astoria park,trumps,modena or citylights (almost at doorstep)..thats how i perceived it.:cheers6:

Regulators
14-10-11, 20:29
I was obviously referring to apartments along lorong g which are near kembangan mrt. I think anywhere within 500m distance to mrt considered near, within 1km walkable and 2km considered far.
its only quite near provided your apartment is located just beside the siglap park connector along lorong G..
fyi,lorong G is a long stretch of road,if yr condo is at the beginning or middle of lorong G,u will have a beautiful looooooong walk home.if it rains,good luck to u cos theres no shelter at all..:cheers6: :cheers6:

to me,near to mrt is like astoria park,trumps,modena or citylights (almost at doorstep)..thats how i perceived it.:cheers6:

Regulators
14-10-11, 20:36
By the way, ppl living in d15 won't give a shit about taking the mrt

hyenergix
14-10-11, 20:38
If LTA upgrades all the bus-stops and interchanges to air-con, and introduce more express services, I'm sure the appeal of being near MRT stations will diminish significantly.

fiat500
14-10-11, 22:48
what has that got to do with the topic being discussed in this thread?? :doh:
btw,nobody gives a shit if u drive,cycle or rollerskate whether u live in d15, d9 or d1..:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

howgozit
14-10-11, 23:28

what has that got to do with the topic being discussed in this thread?? :doh:
btw,nobody gives a shit if u drive,cycle or rollerskate whether u live in d15, d9 or d1..:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This thread is about the impact of MRT.... so it seems to me Regulators comment quite relevant leh...

fiat500
15-10-11, 00:23
This thread is about the impact of MRT.... so it seems to me Regulators comment quite relevant leh...
no,i dont agree..
topic is about buying a LH condo near mrt or a FH condo far away from mrt..its not about whether people living in D15 gives a shit about taking the mrt or not..:cheers6:

buttercarp
15-10-11, 00:37
Hi fiat500 and Regulators, both your contributions are good shit:) .
I enjoy reading them.:p

Regulators
15-10-11, 00:43
of course it is relevant. If the property is in D15, even if it is far from mrt is immaterial to people who buy D15, but to be able to buy something in D15 and near the mrt (eg. lor g telok kurau), it is a plus point. i think fiat didnt get my point.

Yin Yin
15-10-11, 02:50
I prefer freehold over leasehold. I'm not too bothered about the accessible to MRT though. I'm more concerned about other stuff, like price, project size and facilities, neirbourhood condition...

radha08
15-10-11, 08:16
I prefer freehold over leasehold. I'm not too bothered about the accessible to MRT though. I'm more concerned about other stuff, like price, project size and facilities, neirbourhood condition...

thats why singapore property market so dynamic everybody got their own view and ideas so developers and agents easy to do business plus it does help that we are such a small island with a very liberal open door policy over the last few years and i do realise that foreigners/prs/people NOT born here tend to be less fussy and more willing to buy apts with less desirable living condotions like small rms/noisy etc etc wheras singaporeans tend to be the fussier and choosier lot....correct me if i am wrong....:cool:

DC33_2008
15-10-11, 08:23
I do think it is fussy. It is expectation and is higher now than 10 years ago as the country develops. Looking at the cut in the COE quota for now till 2015 and restricting the no. of carpark lots in the CBD area, garment is really trying to divert people to public transport.
thats why singapore property market so dynamic everybody got their own view and ideas so developers and agents easy to do business plus it does help that we are such a small island with a very liberal open door policy over the last few years and i do realise that foreigners/prs/people NOT born here tend to be less fussy and more willing to buy apts with less desirable living condotions like small rms/noisy etc etc wheras singaporeans tend to be the fussier and choosier lot....correct me if i am wrong....:cool:

devilplate
15-10-11, 10:04
Natural mah....ppl always wants better! All gian upgrade rite?

Those foreigners less fussy shd b from third world lah......drive 2hrs to work or walk 30min to take a bus? To them hdb oredi superb liao

Hdb oredi set vy high standard.....in fact more livable and much better layout den condos!

irisng
15-10-11, 12:23
For me, whether with or without MRT is immaterial as long as there are many public transport around, no need to walk 30 mins to the bus-stop, 10-15 mins is still acceptable. More important is there must be food and market around the area because everybody need food to survive, hehe. :p
Freehold or 99 years also never mind, afterall a person will not be able to live until so long unless you only want to sell it at the later stage of your life, then I think FH will be better. But nobody knows what will happen in the future unless you already have plan in mind.:o

rattydrama
15-10-11, 12:54
LH or FH not so important. The most important issue is the location. If the location is good, developer is prepared to do a lease top up.

irisng
15-10-11, 14:08

What's wrong with D14, even for red-light area, one word or action from the govt can turn D14 into a "safe" place, hehe. :D. Our govts words are powerful leh. :santana:

DaytonaSS
15-10-11, 14:16
What's wrong with D14, even for red-light area, one word or action from the govt can turn D14 into a "safe" place, hehe. :D. Our govts words are powerful leh. :santana:

hehehe thats the problem. Govt designated geylang to be the red light district ma..... not so easy to shift. All kinds of business mushroom around the district. From food to telephone shops, to fruit stalls, lighting, renovation and lots more.

buttercarp
15-10-11, 14:26

Red light district house may be difficult to get housing loan, so goes the resale value.
http://www.housingloansg.com/web/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=161&Itemid=34

fiat500
15-10-11, 15:58
of course it is relevant. If the property is in D15, even if it is far from mrt is immaterial to people who buy D15, but to be able to buy something in D15 and near the mrt (eg. lor g telok kurau), it is a plus point. i think fiat didnt get my point.
believed u didnt get my point also..
nobody is interested to know here whether people in d15 gives a shit about taking the mrt or not..
we are here discussing about LH n FH properties being near or far from mrt..

anyway just to add some personal views:telok kurau does not fetch high price at all compared to other d15 areas(amber,meyer) n imo it is less prestigious also..
lorong G,M,K or any other lorongs doesnt make a difference at all cos its still far from mrt.:cheers6:

DC33_2008
15-10-11, 16:43
LH next to mrt will be a better choice than a freehold far away from mrt. This is an exception for high-end landed or condo.

DaytonaSS
15-10-11, 16:52
As per article in straits time today, i also think our property market is so vibrant as there are many diverse groups of buyers. There is no 1 formula that suits all.

There are buyers for premium HDB resale housing, premium DBSS new launches, EC, OCR premium MRT located development, small development, iconic development, sea view cum highway noise development, Promise of 2nd lvl (loop-hole marketing) Loft units, dual key(like that also can), mickey mouse, lake view,river view, lokang view, ulu forest(greenery) view, highway facing development , and premium CCR prime and "fake" CCR developments.

And all these got 99, 999, FH and most creative 103 yrs(developer become SLA).

All also got buyers one. So end of day, can argue like CCR vs OCR debate, all can be winners, win more or less at a certain point in time.

DC33_2008
15-10-11, 16:56
Property owners are winners in the long run for most of the developments in Singapore. Just look at your uncles and parents. However, there are always exceptions.
As per article in straits time today, i also think our property market is so vibrant as there are many diverse groups of buyers. There is no 1 formula that suits all.

There are buyers for premium HDB resale housing, premium DBSS new launches, EC, OCR premium MRT located development, small development, iconic development, sea view cum highway noise development, Promise of 2nd lvl (loop-hold) Loft units, dual key(like that also can), mickey mouse, lake view,river view, lokang view, ulu forest(greenery) view, highway facing development , and premium CCR prime and "fake" CCR developments.

And all these got 99, 999, FH and most creative 103 yrs(developer become SLA).

All also got buyers one. So end of day, can argue like CCR vs OCR debate, all can be winners, win more or less at a certain point in time.

Laguna
15-10-11, 17:09
most creative 103 yrs(developer become SLA). .

No lah, many years back, Spring Grove was freehold but became 99 LH
and the perpetual ownership is still by the original owner

Perhaps, someone here can verify my hearsay

irisng
15-10-11, 17:48
Red light district house may be difficult to get housing loan, so goes the resale value.
http://www.housingloansg.com/web/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=161&Itemid=34

But now is different already lah. So many new apartments coming up in Geylang nowadays and with Paya Lebar Hub, things might change.:p

KCT
16-10-11, 13:35
What is ur take regarding Regent Res compare with upcoming Bedok Central condo in term of capital appreciation?

DC33_2008
16-10-11, 13:53
Distance to mrt and layout : Bedok better.
What is ur take regarding Regent Res compare with upcoming Bedok Central condo in term of capital appreciation?

KCT
16-10-11, 17:18
[QUOTE=DC33_2008]Distance to mrt and layout : Bedok better

Agree ,......shall see their pricing . Thanks

singind
10-11-15, 23:38
Just bought a 3 bed in Astoria Park . i know its 20 years old but I think its the best I could get in terms of amenities/price.

VS
17-11-15, 08:19
Just bought a 3 bed in Astoria Park . i know its 20 years old but I think its the best I could get in terms of amenities/price.

I think Astoria Park has more upside potential, as the plot of land beside has been rezoned as Commercial/ residential. Once Paya Lebar airport moved to Changi, that area will have higher building limit.

singind
27-07-18, 00:19
The prices are slowly moving up and I am so happy by purchasing in this condo. Firstly the cons
The style of the units are old. May not look as good compared to the ones built after 2000. The residents are mostly from India are other third world countries. But all are professionals who have come here to make a better life for themselves. So in general its quite alright. The pros: Rooms are bigger compared to same sized newer condos. I am getting the extra sleep because I know there is zero walk to the mrt and contrary to what I first thought there is almost no noise in the 3 bed layout. So I get out of the door at 8:35 and in my office at Raffles at 9:00A. To me that is huge. 24 hour fair price and a health way clinic right behind. I have lost weight by using the running track in the open ground next door. Nice 30 min walk along park connector to ECP. The average points: facilities are average, tennis courts are good.

singind
27-07-18, 00:21
No lah, many years back, Spring Grove was freehold but became 99 LH
and the perpetual ownership is still by the original owner

Perhaps, someone here can verify my hearsay

It is a FH but owned by American govt. So they are smart and give out 99 year old lease at huge profit to them.