PDA

View Full Version : Living with Indian Neighbours

Piglet
24-10-11, 14:07
Hi all,
earlier I started a thread saying my next door unit was vacant for months.

Yesterday, an Indian family of 4, ( 2 young kids) moved in.

I met them just now and was told they signed a 2 years lease.
They seemed like Nice people...

Ive never had indian neighbours before and our units are side by side.

I just want to know from those who have/had indian neighbours before..

Is the smell of Curry Really THAT bad??? haha.

Is there anything I should prepare myself for?

maisonjai
24-10-11, 14:19
Offer to buy some french loaf & join in the party..hee ;)

FOOK1379
24-10-11, 15:09
I have indian neighbours next to my unit and a few more on the lower and upper floor. If you love curry, it should not be a problem. Sometime, they will also burn those fragrant jossstick but is alright with me.:)

iwantgizmos
24-10-11, 15:24
i love curry... if their kitchen come installed with a cooker hood with carbon activated charcoal filter, the smell will be negligible...

hopeful
24-10-11, 15:31
Hi all,

Tell them about the precedent. Print out article for them.
the law says they can only cook curry when you are not at home and if they cook curry, they have to share it with you (for FREE).

ysyap
24-10-11, 16:26
So your upstairs unit is still vacant?

as1970
24-10-11, 17:21
They don't tend to speak Malay or Mandarin. Or French or German.
:D

Regulators
24-10-11, 17:26
Parapoondeks top of the worst list for neighbors and followed by ahmad, but again you don't get to see too many of the latter group in condos

howgozit
24-10-11, 17:35
Hi all,

OMG... I can't believe I am reading this :doh:

This is Singapore not China or Taiwan. For your information a couple of months ago, our President was an Indian. Yes that's correct... you may be surprised but SR Nathan is actually not a Chinese.

I thought Singapore is supposed to be a progressive country.:confused:

PN
24-10-11, 17:40
Curry is good. My favourite. :)
So long as not cooking salted fish. The smell can make you :sick:

buttercarp
24-10-11, 18:06
Hi Piglet,

Strange you ask about the smell of curry.
You not Singaporean?

Out of my 3 neighbours, 1 of them is FT indian from Chennai.
They are really nice people.
Husband works in an MNC and wife is a lecturer in a polytechnic and they have a 12 year old girl.
We exchange gifts during festive occasions.

Sometimes I smell curry, so i guess it is from their unit, and the smell makes me salivate.

My curry has never been as aromatic as theirs.

Btw, I love all spicy food.

flagship74
24-10-11, 18:11
Me 2 i luv curi beri beri muchi ne..:D

Regulators
24-10-11, 18:33
Your indian neighbor is the exception to the rule, not the general rule
Hi Piglet,

Strange you ask about the smell of curry.
You not Singaporean?

Out of my 3 neighbours, 1 of them is FT indian from Chennai.
They are really nice people.
Husband works in an MNC and wife is a lecturer in a polytechnic and they have a 12 year old girl.
We exchange gifts during festive occasions.

Sometimes I smell curry, so i guess it is from their unit, and the smell makes me salivate.

My curry has never been as aromatic as theirs.

Btw, I love all spicy food.

Piglet
24-10-11, 19:09
Haha.
I know this thread seems politically incorrect but I am definitely not being racist. Just trying to prepare myself for any culture difference.

As I've said,I never lived next to an indian family before even though i am Singaporean. So just wanna se if you guys have anything to share.

Regarding cooking smell,
Its like some chinese will cook balacan and even though the dish is delicious, the smell when cooking can be overwhelming.

Perhaps im just a little anxious about the new neighbours after being neighbourless for so long.

But Im sure everything will fine.
They are way more friendly than a lot of other neighbours I've had before.

Regulators
24-10-11, 19:16
Live beside not as bad as living below coz they have elephant feet. Living beside you have to tolerate not just curry, but the stinking incense they burn. If they open their doors, you get audio surround sound when they blabber in their living room.

Laguna
24-10-11, 19:25
Not that bad lah!
especially the modern ones

radha08
24-10-11, 19:26
Hi all,

:doh:god bless:doh:

radha08
24-10-11, 19:28

from my personal experience i second that 99.9999% are :doh:...the rest are ok...:cool:

buttercarp
24-10-11, 19:54

LOL....
If that's the case, then I am really glad.
I think the more educated ones (all races alike), are generally civic minded and polite.

ysyap
24-10-11, 20:28
OMG... I can't believe I am reading this :doh:

This is Singapore not China or Taiwan. For your information a couple of months ago, our President was an Indian. Yes that's correct... you may be surprised but SR Nathan is actually not a Chinese.

I thought Singapore is supposed to be a progressive country.:confused:I don't think piglet was irritated with his new neighbors. If its mainland Chinese or other races, he may also post the same thread. Its a simple desire to want to know more in order to be a nice neighbor himself! :o

howgozit
24-10-11, 20:33
I don't think piglet was irritated with his new neighbors. If its mainland Chinese or other races, he may also post the same thread. Its a simple desire to want to know more in order to be a nice neighbor himself! :o

Yes... thanks... I got that after reading his other thread.

Apologies to Piglet if any offence caused.:o . You can see how it can be interpreted the wrong way which many forummers have chosen to pursue.

ysyap
24-10-11, 20:40

Apologies to Piglet if any offence caused.:o . You can see how it can be interpreted the wrong way which many forummers have chosen to pursue.LOL! Yes, yes... misinterpretations are not uncommon! :cheers1:

zzz1
24-10-11, 20:50

Apologies to Piglet if any offence caused.:o . You can see how it can be interpreted the wrong way which many forummers have chosen to pursue.

can't blame the forummers' wrong impression if the second is not posted...:doh:

ysyap
24-10-11, 20:58
Maybe can change thread title to living with new neighbours...

Regulators
24-10-11, 22:02
' living with parapoondek' is a more apt title
Maybe can change thread title to living with new neighbours...

Geylang OKT
24-10-11, 22:30
Parapoondeks top of the worst list for neighbors and followed by ahmad, but again you don't get to see too many of the latter group in condos

That's because most of those in the latter group are in prison :D

mantrix
24-10-11, 23:10
really depends on whether they are Singaporean indians or India Indians...a whole world of difference...

By the way, malays are one of the nicest neighbours you can have in my experience...

Piglet
24-10-11, 23:28
hahaha they looked like the traditional ones who wear Saris..

Depavali is coming so maybe they will have a party!

free food for me? :rolleyes:

ysyap
25-10-11, 11:35
hahaha they looked like the traditional ones who wear Saris..

Depavali is coming so maybe they will have a party!

free food for me? :rolleyes:Greet them tomorrow and see if they invite you in for their party! :D

buttercarp
25-10-11, 12:05
Greet them tomorrow and see if they invite you in for their party! :D

I will have to drop by their place tomorrow to wish them well and give them a box of chocolate.
Cos they will drop by my place during CNY with oranges and during mid- autumn festival with mooncakes.

RSG
25-10-11, 12:58
' living with parapoondek' is a more apt title

The word "para..." is a vulgar word in tamil. May I humbly request that such words be not used in the interest of racial harmony and good neighbourliness. Thanks.

smallant
25-10-11, 13:01
Indian neighbours... Live near one.. pleasant.. quiet.. and nice too ! Will be joining them deepavali festival & food ! :)

radha08
25-10-11, 14:10

balotta park...:D:D:D

radha08
25-10-11, 14:11
The word "para..." is a vulgar word in tamil. May I humbly request that such words be not used in the interest of racial harmony and good neighbourliness. Thanks.

para...chute
para...lyse
para...normal

all big words :cool:

radha08
25-10-11, 14:13
really depends on whether they are Singaporean indians or India Indians...a whole world of difference...

yup me singapore indian...couldnt agree more...

Regulators
25-10-11, 14:17
You should ask if parapoondek is a tamil word in the first place :D

yaozong7
25-10-11, 14:44
As a gd neighbour, you should treat them to Old Chang Kee curry puffs! Let them have a taste of Singapore styled curry. Haha.

ysyap
25-10-11, 15:11
Introduce the curry fish head... :cheers1:

Lord Anus
25-10-11, 18:42

Wahlau you *******, damn racist lah you.:D

Lord Anus
25-10-11, 18:43

Wahlaueh you mudderfarker, even more racist!:D

Regulators
25-10-11, 19:17
What racist? I heard it from property agents who were finding me tenants for my condos in the past. Mind you, I won't like to have prc as tenant or neighbor as well, so does that make me racist coz I am also chinese? Please lah, to voice out preference or dislike for a group to be your neighbor does not make one a racist. Stop being so anal about it.
Wahlau you *******, damn racist lah you.:D

acidic.straw
25-10-11, 21:05

Don't regret if you are awaken at 3am and invited for coffee at some "special" place. And if you understand the technology, tracing your actual location takes at most a couple of hours. :D :D :D

Sedition Act (Cap 290)
3.(1e) A seditious tendency is a tendency — to promote feelings of ill-will and hostility between different races or classes of the population of Singapore.
4. (1) Any person who —
(b) utters any seditious words;
(c) prints, publishes, sells, offers for sale, distributes or reproduces any seditious publication
shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction for a first offence to a fine not exceeding $5,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 years or to both, and, for a subsequent offence, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years; and any seditious publication found in the possession of that person or used in evidence at his trial shall be forfeited and may be destroyed or otherwise disposed of as the court directs.

Piglet
25-10-11, 21:37
Chill Guys!
My fault my fault for starting this thread!
Moderator want to close it or not?

Hahhaa.
Don't be so serious lahh

hopeful
25-10-11, 22:10
Don't regret if you are awaken at 3am and invited for coffee at some "special" place. And if you understand the technology, tracing your actual location takes at most a couple of hours. :D :D :D

Sedition Act (Cap 290)
3.(1e) A seditious tendency is a tendency — to promote feelings of ill-will and hostility between different races or classes of the population of Singapore.
4. (1) Any person who —

such a broad definition.
wah, like that those say bad things about FT/FW is promoting ill-will between citizens and FT/FW.
also those who say bad things about the class of PAP politicians also promoting ill-will. no wonder Temasek Review got shut down......

acidic.straw
25-10-11, 22:19
Chill Guys!
My fault my fault for starting this thread!
Moderator want to close it or not?

Hahhaa.
Don't be so serious lahh

No worries. Your thread is perfectly fine and it's a noble thing to want to understand your neighbours. Some of the responses are indeed very encouraging.

What most are unhappy about is the way a decent thread like this is turned into one with racist overtones by others.

acidic.straw
25-10-11, 22:37
such a broad definition.
wah, like that those say bad things about FT/FW is promoting ill-will between citizens and FT/FW.
also those who say bad things about the class of PAP politicians also promoting ill-will. no wonder Temasek Review got shut down......

Fortunately, there are many ways to voice unhappiness without being seditious :cool:

radha08
26-10-11, 00:49
in the spirit of DEEP VALLEY...wishing all indians local and ft...happy deepavali....:D

Rosy
26-10-11, 01:49
I have experience with caucasian, then indian and current korean renting the same unit. Surprisingly, the indian got no problem at all while the angmor is the worse.

Stereotyping is bad

Regulators
26-10-11, 03:38
not promoting, sharing personal experience. don't need to promote such things coz i think others would share this similar experience.

Sedition Act (Cap 290)
4. (1) Any person who —
(c) prints, publishes, sells, offers for sale, distributes or reproduces any seditious publication
shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction for a first offence to a fine not exceeding $5,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 years or to both, and, for a subsequent offence, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years; and any seditious publication found in the possession of that person or used in evidence at his trial shall be forfeited and may be destroyed or otherwise disposed of as the court directs.

Geylang OKT
26-10-11, 07:29
Wishing all Hindus a Happy Deepavali (Diwali) :D :D :D

ysyap
26-10-11, 07:36
Happy Festival of Light to one and all... ;)

Komo
26-10-11, 07:50
My Indian neighbour shouted into his phone for 2 hrs last night. Maybe he's sending his regards to everyone in the world. But this is one of many occasions he did this:(

Geylang OKT
26-10-11, 08:44
My Indian neighbour shouted into his phone for 2 hrs last night. Maybe he's sending his regards to everyone in the world. But this is one of many occasions he did this:(

Since it is Diwali today, do a good deed! Embrace your Hindu neighbour today! Engage him in a bear hug. He may speak softer into the phone in future! :D :D :D

Regulators
26-10-11, 09:22
You should have f'ed him for noise pollution and wish him happy depavali after that :D

Geylang OKT
26-10-11, 09:28
Is this correct?

Local hindus celebrate Deepavali

FT hindus celebrate Diwali

same festival, different spelling. That's how you difference the locals and the FT folks here. :D :D :D

devilplate
26-10-11, 10:08
give indians a break lah.....

dun like indians just keep it to urself or passing remarks privately lor and remember this is a public forum

Regulators
26-10-11, 10:17
I love curry so I don't hate indians :D
give indians a break lah.....

dun like indians just keep it to urself or passing remarks privately lor and remember this is a public forum

radha08
26-10-11, 10:29
Is this correct?

same festival, different spelling. That's how you difference the locals and the FT folks here. :D :D :D

i celebrate deep valley...:D

radha08
26-10-11, 10:31
I love curry so I don't hate indians :D

to me the Bestest curry is karus curry along upper bukit timah road....no horse run curry....:D

radha08
26-10-11, 10:32
ha ha thats them...from my personal experience too..:mad:

buttercarp
26-10-11, 10:44
Is this correct?

Asked my Indian FT neighbour and she said there are so many different enthnic groups in India and hence they pronounce the festival slightly differently, but it means the same thing.

To all my Indian friends and forummers:
http://img-s3-01.mytextgraphics.com/sparklee/2011/10/26/bf7cc0ac02a2ecf71b48f3a9b893dfd7.gif

zzz1
26-10-11, 11:35
to me the Bestest curry is karus curry along upper bukit timah road....no horse run curry....:D
You mean the shop Hse stall along t main road and oops mindef?

Regulators
26-10-11, 13:30
To all the indians HAPPY DEEPARAVALI !

ysyap
26-10-11, 13:52
To all the indians HAPPY DEEPARAVALI !You just have to do it?

Lord Anus
26-10-11, 16:05
Happy Festival of Light to one and all... ;)

Need some light in serangoon road... Otherwise cannot see

Lord Anus
26-10-11, 16:09
I have experience with caucasian, then indian and current korean renting the same unit. Surprisingly, the indian got no problem at all while the angmor is the worse.

Stereotyping is bad

Ang mor really behave like monkeys. Get drunk and make a lot of noise, jump in pool, slam doors, stomp on floor, fark everywhere, pee everywhere, puke, etc.

Whether they are low class Aussie / NZ FTs or high class US and UK expats, when they get drunk they will all revert back to their base state of an animal.

Geylang OKT
26-10-11, 22:35

I was there during lunch time. Unfortunately it was closed for Deepavali :doh: :ashamed1: :banghead:

irisng
26-10-11, 23:32
I guess those indian who can afford to stay in a condo must somehow have education, so I think it should be okay. I have indian neighbours too, but not on the same floor. Sometimes I do meet them at the lobby, and we just smile at each other. Their children also quite well behave.

I have come across a case when I was inside a bus. One indian man sat beside me and the other sat behind me, :doh: when they started to talk on their handphones at the same time (no control of their volumes), my head splits into 2 parts, really feel like asking them to "shut up".:scared-3:

Another case is a group of malay students went up to the bus and started talking, the bus driver couldn't bear the noise, so he shouted at them to "shut up".:scared-3:

radha08
27-10-11, 00:44
You mean the shop Hse stall along t main road and oops mindef?

yup tats d one...:D

Piglet
27-10-11, 02:59
Day 3 with new neighbours:

No curry smell
No Joss Sticks burning smell
No excessive noise from Children
No clutter at the corridor ( Not even shoe rack!.... yet)

Very OK leh!

They do leave thier door open during the day so when I come home or go out, I can hear them talking from the corridor , or smell thier cooking. But it doesn't affect anything inside my house.

Heng Ah!

ysyap
27-10-11, 07:56
Make your own special curry fish head and offer them lah... must exchange and be good neighbors... :D

irisng
27-10-11, 08:23
Day 3 with new neighbours:

No curry smell
No Joss Sticks burning smell
No excessive noise from Children
No clutter at the corridor ( Not even shoe rack!.... yet)

Very OK leh!

They do leave thier door open during the day so when I come home or go out, I can hear them talking from the corridor , or smell thier cooking. But it doesn't affect anything inside my house.

Heng Ah!

The only smell that I cannot stand is when some of the Indian ladies apply coconut oil on their hair. :(

buttercarp
27-10-11, 17:58
The only smell that I cannot stand is when some of the Indian ladies apply coconut oil on their hair. :(

Application of coconut oil to hair makes it glossy and shiny!:)

irisng
27-10-11, 20:56

Yes, but too much become unbearable, just like perfume, apply light light smell nice but too much become pungent, hehe :tongue4:

ysyap
27-10-11, 22:21
Yes, you'll know if they've used the lift just before you! :rolleyes:

Geylang OKT
27-10-11, 23:20

Should use what Cameron Diaz used in the 1996 movie There's Something About Mary! :D :D :D

Regulators
28-10-11, 00:24
That is the problem, they see the shine but not the stench :doh:

radha08
28-10-11, 23:16
anyway no two ways about it the GOOD folks from india are here to stay together with the good folks from CINA....the 2 new superpowers...:o

ysyap
29-10-11, 06:59
anyway no two ways about it the GOOD folks from india are here to stay together with the good folks from CINA....the 2 new superpowers...:oAlong with a host of other FW from US, Aus, Viet, Mal, etc... No choice... our lovely govt say must have 6.5mil people in our small country in 20 years! :doh: