PDA

View Full Version : Not Firesale but actual fire

gap969
21-11-11, 09:59
Hi All

Just want to find out cos a unit in my apt building caught fire.
This resulted in the common area having black smoke stains on the wall etc.
The unit currently is vacant as the tenant has moved out after the fire.

Just for discussion sake.

1. Who pays for the repairs of common area?
2. If unit is rented out how to work on compensation to landlord.

Thanks in advance.

Geylang OKT
21-11-11, 10:02
Hi All

Just want to find out cos a unit in my apt building caught fire.
This resulted in the common area having black smoke stains on the wall etc.
The unit currently is vacant as the tenant has moved out after the fire.

Just for discussion sake.

1. Who pays for the repairs of common area?
2. If unit is rented out how to work on compensation to landlord.

Thanks in advance.

If due to negligence.... tenant pays for everything (check the TA).

Also, that is why the security deposit is for (and even more if the security deposit is not enough to cover everything).

devilplate
21-11-11, 10:08
ur condo/apt's mcst shd haf bot fire insurance to cover for common area .....check wif ur mcst....if they nvr buy...den ...ahem

as for individual unit, landlord can seek compensation from insurance coy rite? no experience b4....touchwood

gap969
21-11-11, 10:17
If due to negligence.... tenant pays for everything (check the TA).

Also, that is why the security deposit is for (and even more if the security deposit is not enough to cover everything).

I'm not the owner lah , just wondering who should bear what.
"Touchwood" hope i am not being placed into such a situation.

gap969
21-11-11, 10:22
ur condo/apt's mcst shd haf bot fire insurance to cover for common area .....check wif ur mcst....if they nvr buy...den ...ahem

as for individual unit, landlord can seek compensation from insurance coy rite? no experience b4....touchwood

IMO i assume would be a fresh coat of paint only for the common area.
But it is an eyesore cos that common area connects to the carpark and have to see it each time I walk to the lift landing. It has been 3 weeks since the fire and nothing done yet:doh:

Plus the unit's fire caused the living room windows to shatter, hence while driving past the guardhouse will be able to see the charred unit.

Geylang OKT
21-11-11, 10:25
IMO i assume would be a fresh coat of paint only for the common area.
But it is an eyesore cos that common area connects to the carpark and have to see it each time I walk to the lift landing. It has been 3 weeks since the fire and nothing done yet:doh:

Plus the unit's fire caused the living room windows to shatter, hence while driving past the guardhouse will be able to see the charred unit.

MCST go after the owner to pay compensation, owner go after his tenant :D

mcmlxxvi
21-11-11, 11:05

New place? Old? Covered by (free first year) fire insurance from bank loan? If so some has coverage inclusion of common areas collateral damage up to 10k I think...

dmonddd
21-11-11, 11:25
I'm not the owner lah , just wondering who should bear what.
"Touchwood" hope i am not being placed into such a situation.
firstly anyone reported either to mgmt office or police

...investigation needs to be done to ascertain cause of fire and responsible person whether to be claimed from insurance company or shared among tenants.

gap969
21-11-11, 11:28
New place? Old? Covered by (free first year) fire insurance from bank loan? If so some has coverage inclusion of common areas collateral damage up to 10k I think...

Place TOP 2004, but not sure if owner got it just recently.

dmonddd
21-11-11, 11:31
any insurance agent here to give views
or just ask your insurance agent on what to do

gap969
21-11-11, 11:32

...investigation needs to be done to ascertain cause of fire and responsible person whether to be claimed from insurance company or shared among tenants.

I am assuming all necessary reporting done cos met the condo manager and he mentioned should be MCST covered for the common area.
I am assuming this could be due to fire starting from the altar as heard from security guard. The tenant is an Indian family.

teddybear
21-11-11, 11:46
MCST so free, nothing better to do, mah? :confused:

Case is simple though: common area, MCST claim own fire insurance if proper reporting done.
Inside the unit, owner responsible. If got fire insurance then claim fire insurance lor. :ashamed1:

MCST go after the owner to pay compensation, owner go after his tenant :D

buttercarp
21-11-11, 12:45

Case is simple though: common area, MCST claim own fire insurance if proper reporting done.
Inside the unit, owner responsible. If got fire insurance then claim fire insurance lor. :ashamed1:

Then the tenant goes off scott free?!

Actually if you rent out your unit, the landlord buys fire insurance but if anything happens, then the insurance pays but what can the landlord claim anything from the tenant?
Or can the landlord make the tenant pay for the premium of the insurance?

teddybear
21-11-11, 12:53
Didn't I mention before that the tenants always goes scott free with many things? That is why always rent to high-end tenants, never the low-end. You can never reclaim back the full costs of all damages they made to your property when they left (even that 1-2 months deposit is just plainly insufficient!). :ashamed1:

Lesson learnt here? Landlords have to get themselves a good fire insurance! :simmering:

Then the tenant goes off scott free?!

Actually if you rent out your unit, the landlord buys fire insurance but if anything happens, then the insurance pays but what can the landlord claim anything from the tenant?
Or can the landlord make the tenant pay for the premium of the insurance?

Geylang OKT
21-11-11, 13:25

Actually the MC donch do the actual chasing. The MC will delegate it to the MA (Managing Agent) of the devt to do the chasing. If the fire is caused by negligence of the tenant, the MC can sue the landlord to make good the damages caused to the common area (even with fire insurance). Fire insurance usually covers only damage to the structures, but any additional improvements to the structures have to be borned by the MCST (which is a collection of all the SPs). And why should the MCST pay for what is negligence caused on the part of only 1 SP? :D

The Landlord LL, so withhold tenant deposit lor :D

dmonddd
21-11-11, 13:29
I am assuming all necessary reporting done cos met the condo manager and he mentioned should be MCST covered for the common area.
I am assuming this could be due to fire starting from the altar as heard from security guard. The tenant is an Indian family.

landlord to be liable in my view.
any action taken by management co informing landlord
landlord can separately claim from tenant

that should be the process. Ass u me is a dangerous word
my one cent comment

btw suggest to forumers please dont red bold or use big fonts. my eyesight is poor it worsens. i get the point

dmonddd
21-11-11, 13:30
Actually the MC donch do the actual chasing. The MC will delegate it to the MA (Managing Agent) of the devt to do the chasing. If the fire is caused by negligence of the tenant, the MC can sue the landlord to make good the damages caused to the common area (even with fire insurance). Fire insurance usually covers only damage to the structures, but any additional improvements to the structures have to be borned by the MCST (which is a collection of all the SPs) :D

The Landlord LL, so withhold tenant deposit lor :D

agree
follow the process and document it instead of thinking
writing is a first step instead of verbal communication..ppl has short memory

Geylang OKT
21-11-11, 13:32
Didn't I mention before that the tenants always goes scott free with many things? That is why always rent to high-end tenants, never the low-end. You can never reclaim back the full costs of all damages they made to your property when they left (even that 1-2 months deposit is just plainly insufficient!). :ashamed1:

Lesson learnt here? Landlords have to get themselves a good fire insurance! :simmering:

Should be comprehensive fire insurance. Remember, there is a difference between insuring just the structures and contents :D

irisng
21-11-11, 18:15
I had an experience before but at the men's sauna room. My daughter's teacher had organised a BBQ for their students and asked me to help him to book the BBQ pit for him. One of the boys had put his swimming trunk near the heater to let it dry and went out after that. Luckily, one of the residents went to the toilet shortly and saw the sauna room caught fire, otherwise the whole toilet would have been burned.

The management wanted us to pay for the damages, so I asked him why not claim from the insurance company and he told me that it would be not fair to the rest of the residents as the insurance premium would increase if we made a claim.

One of the committee seems to be helpful, help us to find the quotation but was so expensive, around $6k, later then I realised that he wanted us to do the whole toilet:doh: , it was not fair to us. In the end, we got our own contractor and done only on the damaged part and cost us only $900. Later this guy was asked to leave because the residents suspected him "swallow money".

In the end, may daugher's teacher paid for most of the cost because he said he was the one who asked us to book and he should be responsible for it.:cheers1:

Eastboy
21-11-11, 18:37

usually condo mgt will take over everything....unless ur mgt sucks..