PDA

View Full Version : Properties in Geylang Area: Potential?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Daredevil
28-04-07, 23:51
I have been studying the potential of Geylang area and am convinced of its potential that I have purchased a condo unit (Atrium Residences) there slated for completion in 2009. My friends probably laughed at (behind my back) wondering why I made such a decision near the Red-Light District.

So here I am sharing my thoughts with all of you wondering if I am being ahead of the herd or just being an absolute idiot.

Here are my reasons: (and I am hoping someone can agree or disagree)
* Geylang is near the upcoming Sports Hub and the Marina Bay IR (via Nicoll Highway). The MRTs stations of the inner circle lines (Dakota, Mountbatten) are near by. The inter-connected expressway at Sims Ave also provide clues)
* Rents are and will be even more attractive because of its proximity to town/IR/New Downtown (typical rents have now climbed to about 2500-3000 for a 3 rm apartment)
* The Red Light District is rumoured to be moving out to North (While I heard from another agent that its moving to Kranji). Wherever it is going, I am guessing that the govt will not allow the IR/Singapore's image to be spoilt, given that they put in so much effort in the messaging.
* You can see clues of constructions in Geylang. Developers seem to be buying up old buildings. New condos like Waterina have sprouted out
* Further development at the Paya Sub-regional center is expected. The govt had announced plans in 1991 but nothing significant really happened. Guess what? The Master Plan for 2003 ends this year and next year, I am guessing that full details will be out in the Master Plan for 2008- and the real potential of Paya Lebar and Geylang will only then be known

http://lushhome.wordpress.com/2007/02/11/more-development-sites-at-marina-bay-planned-says-mah/

Assuming if I am right, then it might be too late to hop in by then. The properties in Geylang/Paya Lebar have been slow to pick up. That's why I did what I did:tongue3: . Would be happy to hear anyone's comments.

Unregistered
29-04-07, 02:21
as first, pls understand my rousy english as im not a native english speaker.

I think Paya Lebar Sub-Regional centre will be a little bit northern area of Geylang. based on current road and public transportion construction, ie. KPE and Bartely to Tampines road extension, New MRT plan(from downtown to Tampines), it would be the above PIE region from upper paya lebr to ubi.

but regardless paya lebar development plan or not, Geylang has potential as it is located much close to the downtown.

Unregistered
29-04-07, 03:33
Spelling error, I meant lousy not rousy.

Unregistered
29-04-07, 07:26
I like Geylang area for it's proximity to town and central area but I heard that it's sometimes not easy to secure loan for properties in that region. Not too sure if that's true. Also my wife didn't like it.

Daredevil
29-04-07, 09:28
I like Geylang area for it's proximity to town and central area but I heard that it's sometimes not easy to secure loan for properties in that region. Not too sure if that's true. Also my wife didn't like it.

Yes, you are right - this is one constraint. The Big 4 banks do not generally extend loans to Geylang (Lorongs) for ethical reasons. Certain banks only extend loans to the odd number lorongs (e.g Lor 27) which is perceived to have less red light activity. In any case, today, based on my recent purchase of Atrium Residences, only Hong Leong, RHB, Maybank will extend loans. I suspect that if the scenarios I pointed out earlier happen, more banks will jump on board.

Currently, women tend to feel a bit negative when walking in Geylang (try going there during the nights - you do not feel a sense of security). All kinds of negative factors - crime, etc - is associated with prostituition. This is why I feel that the govt, in time, will have to clean up since they are betting on IR and need to maintain the clean image of Singapore. From what I heard, the red light district caters mainly to the Bengladesh workers. My 2 cents is that Geylang will serve the foreign workers (skilled talents) working in IR or supporting the MICE industry and Geylang is presumably going to be much more affordable to live in then say, condos, in Fort Road area.

Hope I am not speculating too much here...but when such talents come here - their families come with them as well (Wife and children). And they need to feel safe. The govt knows that... and with the expected population increase, Geylang as a place to live in has got to be in that planning equation (given its close proximity to town).

The transition of Geylang (if it happens) will probably be decided by 2 factors:
* Govt policy (as part of the 2008 Master Plan)
* Private developers who already see the potential I pointed out

At the end of the day, red light district aside, Geylang has got lots of heritage and good food too.

Unregistered
29-04-07, 09:35
I have been studying the potential of Geylang area and am convinced of its potential that I have purchased a condo unit (Atrium Residences) there slated for completion in 2009. My friends probably laughed at (behind my back) wondering why I made such a decision near the Red-Light District.

So here I am sharing my thoughts with all of you wondering if I am being ahead of the herd or just being an absolute idiot.

* Geylang is near the upcoming Sports Hub and the Marina Bay IR (via Nicoll Highway). The MRTs stations of the inner circle lines (Dakota, Mountbatten) are near by. The inter-connected expressway at Sims Ave also provide clues)
* Rents are and will be even more attractive because of its proximity to town/IR/New Downtown (typical rents have now climbed to about 2500-3000 for a 3 rm apartment)
* The Red Light District is rumoured to be moving out to North (While I heard from another agent that its moving to Kranji). Wherever it is going, I am guessing that the govt will not allow the IR/Singapore's image to be spoilt, given that they put in so much effort in the messaging.
* You can see clues of constructions in Geylang. Developers seem to be buying up old buildings. New condos like Waterina have sprouted out
* Further development at the Paya Sub-regional center is expected. The govt had announced plans in 1991 but nothing significant really happened. Guess what? The Master Plan for 2003 ends this year and next year, I am guessing that full details will be out in the Master Plan for 2008- and the real potential of Paya Lebar and Geylang will only then be known

http://lushhome.wordpress.com/2007/02/11/more-development-sites-at-marina-bay-planned-says-mah/

Assuming if I am right, then it might be too late to hop in by then. The properties in Geylang/Paya Lebar have been slow to pick up. That's why I did what I did:tongue3: . Would be happy to hear anyone's comments.
Good for you. I can tell you why.
1). Rental yield will be very high. One 3-bedroom unit can be rented out to 9 tenents. 9 tenents pays $400X9=3,600. $3,600/mth is very good yield. BTW some prostitutes or so called "students" can even squeeze 4 in 1 room. Do not think about capital gain. Yield will be the one to target.
2). Own stay is very good for single man. I know of a few owners of geylang units that stay there as landlord and jagar the "students". Every month not only can he make money from his condo, he gets "free XXX" as well .

Boon
29-04-07, 09:42
hahaha..I totally agree with the reasons - both the original and follow-up ones! But on a serious note, I myself think its a matter of time before we see what you have mentioned. And the major hurdle like you mentioned is to get your spouse to agree to it!! Maybe I can help with my own take of the situation...

The fact that the red light dictrict can be shifted effortlessly (although where it goes to will take some PR work as residents - presumably the women - near the new vicinity would be strongly against it) makes it all the more easier for such a relocation to take place. Proximity to town is a given advantage. If anything I believe we are at the start of a "live in the city" property boom. 5 years ago when I bought my HDB, which is 10 min walk from Raffles Place, my wife's colleagues were jesting "why do you want to stay and work in the same place?"...and this was not only one but a few colleagues. The same people now are looking to buy into central apartments. Naturally as this goes on, the spillover willbe felt in all directions as the demand fans out incl to geylang.

Just visualize this - by 2020, Singapore will effectively be a Greater Metropolitan or a Megacity, whereby the whole island is just one big city (today, you can argue that the CBD/orchard belt is the city and the HDB heartland are the suburds - and the "city" has now in fact grown to Bugis/Vivio/Suntec which represents all the spillover directions: north, west, east). As in other metropolitan cities, residential prices will correlate with the distance from the centre of the Mteropolitan which in our case is Raffles Place/Orchard. If one were to take this a step further, then imagine that by 2040, this tiny island would be so expensive and crowded that people would start staying in South Johor and commute door-to-door @ 2 hours just to get to Raffles city. It's not far fetched - people are already doing so in other countries...just that we are already complaining if we travel from Woodlands to Raffles!

Geylang united
29-04-07, 10:32
Staying in geylang is every mans' dream(Especially old men with lots of CPF money). Approximaty to Good Food(Beef noodles,Hokkien noodles,Wok rice...),
Good mix of people(Multiracial area with lots of Indian,china workers,tourists of high net worth with lots of money to spend), Good range of businesses(Food[all types of flavours], Hotels[by the hour], Internet cafe[have to type in chinese], IR[make shift tables having 9 numbers for betting], foot messages reflexology[can message your third feet if you want], Ktv[family orientated, with many kind and friendly ladies to sing with you or sing you.]
Houses with lighted numbers[provides quick stress relief for a better man].)
Good service(Within all the lorongs of geylang, there are many freelance SERIVCE providers to give you instant resolution to all your problems.
With all said, enjoy your stay there. You are the envy of all men in singapore.

Just my thoughts
29-04-07, 10:53
No though there are many good food in Geyland. However, I'll only go there for food, not for staying. Besides getting wife permission and consider her safety, if you have children you will also want to think twice on the negative effect on the youngs.

Daredevil
29-04-07, 13:49
There are pretty decent condos in the Geylang area: Simsville, Sims Residences, Aston Mansion, Central Grove, The Alcove. Because of the bad image of Geylang, these places are all affected by the negative perception - although they are away from the main Red Light district (under Lor 20)

It will be interesting to see what happens when the Master Pan 2008 is revealed. In the meantime, looks like from the response I am seeing in this thread, the negative Geylang perception still rules...

Boon
29-04-07, 15:16
I think we have to differentiate between buying the now geylang to stay and buying for its future potential for investment. Now - yes I agree not a good proposition (its true that some banks do not want to finance or have limits). But for the future, I see unlocked value if one can afford to wait and be among the first to lock in.

surfers
29-04-07, 16:16
Moving the red light district has been in talks for many years. I seriously don't think it will be any time within even the next 10-20 years.

tell you the truth
29-04-07, 16:29

To tell you the truth, you have looked too far into the future and you have messed up like a fool. There are plenty of potential buys still, apart from geylang area. As long as the red light district which i see is getting even more ridiculous, grows instead of shrinking. You will be screwed. You go check out geylang tonight on a sunday night, then you tell me if the GOV is genuinely going to do something about it. This daredevil really is a risk taker.
I think he wants an excuse to CALL CHICKEN everynight.

Daredevil
30-04-07, 02:08
To tell you the truth, you have looked too far into the future and you have messed up like a fool. There are plenty of potential buys still, apart from geylang area. As long as the red light district which i see is getting even more ridiculous, grows instead of shrinking. You will be screwed. You go check out geylang tonight on a sunday night, then you tell me if the GOV is genuinely going to do something about it. This daredevil really is a risk taker.
I think he wants an excuse to CALL CHICKEN everynight.

There are clowns like you who jump to conclusion (and generalize) and there are serious investors (like those who are sharing their thoughts in this thread) who are looking for opportunities and making sense of current developments. You can make it out such that every corner of Geylang is a prostitute den. There's Geylang East, Central, and the Lorongs (which is the topic of this thread)

For the record, the Atrium Residences is sold out completely. One investor bought 21 units (out of total 149 units) - and a senior executive from DHL bought a pent house unit. I purchased a 3-room freehold unit for under $600k (while Waterina, which is just a stone's throw away, cost $750k for a similar unit). Note that these condos are also near the Guillemard side of the road (it takes 5 min just to get to the Sports Hub).

As Boon mentioned, we are looking at the future - not now... only time will tell. And I qualify that we will have a better picture when the Master Plan for 2008 is out.

In the Know
30-04-07, 10:37
Geylang properties definitely have potential. Location fundamentals are good (near city, near traffic access like expressways, a couple of MRT servicing the area) except for one minor detail (prostitutes).

As you can see, Geylang area has lots of pros, and only one con. Remove that one con, you get a highly desirable residential area strategically located between the city and the East Coast, with a great view of Marina Bay to boot!

Unregistered
30-04-07, 11:48
Geylang properties definitely have potential. Location fundamentals are good (near city, near traffic access like expressways, a couple of MRT servicing the area) except for one minor detail (prostitutes).

As you can see, Geylang area has lots of pros, and only one con. Remove that one con, you get a highly desirable residential area strategically located between the city and the East Coast, with a great view of Marina Bay to boot!

Some time back the same question was ask to MM Lee during an open forum. MM Lees reply is candid and straightforward. Prostituition is legal in Singapore and the government stand is that it will not intervene and will let market forces decides. So unless, there's a "big giant developer" who is willing to "buy out" the protitution business (provided there's willing seller), I don't think the "con" will go away in many years to come. The prostituition business is too lucraty to let go as new license will be difficult to acquire. MM Lee even jested about having to compete with Batam, when someone suggested shifting the entire Geylang prostitution business to a S'pore island instead to contain it. With such reply from the man himself, buying Geylang is a real gamble. But I believe the time will come for prostitution business to be shifted out of Geylang, except that it will not be in my lfetime...Good luck to the punters of Geylang.

Unregistered
30-04-07, 12:06
Some time back the same question was ask to MM Lee during an open forum. MM Lees reply is candid and straightforward. Prostituition is legal in Singapore and the government stand is that it will not intervene and will let market forces decides. So unless, there's a "big giant developer" who is willing to "buy out" the protitution business (provided there's willing seller), I don't think the "con" will go away in many years to come. The prostituition business is too lucraty to let go as new license will be difficult to acquire. MM Lee even jested about having to compete with Batam, when someone suggested shifting the entire Geylang prostitution business to a S'pore island instead to contain it. With such reply from the man himself, buying Geylang is a real gamble. But I believe the time will come for prostitution business to be shifted out of Geylang, except that it will not be in my lfetime...Good luck to the punters of Geylang.

We need somebody like Donald Trump or Li Ka Shing.

Unregistered
30-04-07, 13:22
We need somebody like Donald Trump or Li Ka Shing.

Geylang will always be Geylang.....infested with Prostitutes, gangsters, loansharks, gambling dens, drugs hangouts......The govt. will not tilt anything when the whole Geylang is so well balanced by itself.....The govt. has created this place to be so special and place it under specialise attention and in a way is very well managed...I would not want to even think that our govt. will shift Geylang...Not for the IR..not for any other reasons! Anyway people come IR need to have a "f..K" as well, so just 10 minutes taxi down nicoll highway and they enjoy all these services...The Govt. long has it planned...So, to see into the future for punting properties in Geylang, I think that guy is too far-fetchted!.. Rather if he is thinking of opening a sex "mess" and renting out to "high-rollers" to enjoy...definitely can get high rental yields!

Unregistered
30-04-07, 13:33
Geylang will always be Geylang.....infested with Prostitutes, gangsters, loansharks, gambling dens, drugs hangouts......The govt. will not tilt anything when the whole Geylang is so well balanced by itself.....The govt. has created this place to be so special and place it under specialise attention and in a way is very well managed...I would not want to even think that our govt. will shift Geylang...Not for the IR..not for any other reasons! Anyway people come IR need to have a "f..K" as well, so just 10 minutes taxi down nicoll highway and they enjoy all these services...The Govt. long has it planned...So, to see into the future for punting properties in Geylang, I think that guy is too far-fetchted!.. Rather if he is thinking of opening a sex "mess" and renting out to "high-rollers" to enjoy...definitely can get high rental yields!
Good for you. I can tell you why.
1). Rental yield will be very high. One 3-bedroom unit can be rented out to 9 tenents. 9 tenents pays $400X9=3,600. $3,600/mth is very good yield. BTW some prostitutes or so called "students" can even squeeze 4 in 1 room. Do not think about capital gain. Yield will be the one to target.
2). Own stay is very good for single man. I know of a few owners of geylang units that stay there as landlord and jagar the "students". Every month not only can he make money from his condo, he gets "free XXX" as well .
All of the above, tells you something daredevil. That you are not very bright.

bright future
30-04-07, 14:09
There are clowns like you who jump to conclusion (and generalize) and there are serious investors (like those who are sharing their thoughts in this thread) who are looking for opportunities and making sense of current developments. You can make it out such that every corner of Geylang is a prostitute den. There's Geylang East, Central, and the Lorongs (which is the topic of this thread)

Ignore those clowns. They do not know what they are talking about. Those clowns just skim the surface and don't look deep enough into the issue.

For the record, the Atrium Residences is sold out completely. One investor bought 21 units (out of total 149 units) - and a senior executive from DHL bought a pent house unit. I purchased a 3-room freehold unit for under $600k (while Waterina, which is just a stone's throw away, cost $750k for a similar unit). Note that these condos are also near the Guillemard side of the road (it takes 5 min just to get to the Sports Hub).

I have been to view Atrium Residences. Very very impressed, especially with the pricing. I just hope the completion of this property will kick start the rejuvenation of Geylang Lorongs. Such a good location, absolutely wasted to have vice activities around.

As Boon mentioned, we are looking at the future - not now... only time will tell. And I qualify that we will have a better picture when the Master Plan for 2008 is out.

Just less than a month ago we would never have thought Riverine by the Park which is so near Geylang could have sold for as high as $1700 psf. Today Riverine is sold out (or almost) at record breaking prices.

A year ago we would never have thought property prices could hit $4000 psf. Today it looks likely to hit $5000 psf.

You are right. Only time will tell. Fortune rewards the brave. Entrepreneurs with the sharpest acumen will win in the end.

Unregistered
30-04-07, 14:21
Just visualize this - by 2020, Singapore will effectively be a Greater Metropolitan or a Megacity, whereby the whole island is just one big city (today, you can argue that the CBD/orchard belt is the city and the HDB heartland are the suburds - and the "city" has now in fact grown to Bugis/Vivio/Suntec which represents all the spillover directions: north, west, east). As in other metropolitan cities, residential prices will correlate with the distance from the centre of the Mteropolitan which in our case is Raffles Place/Orchard. If one were to take this a step further, then imagine that by 2040, this tiny island would be so expensive and crowded that people would start staying in South Johor and commute door-to-door @ 2 hours just to get to Raffles city. It's not far fetched - people are already doing so in other countries...just that we are already complaining if we travel from Woodlands to Raffles!

This is a very convincing argument. One only needs to refer back to the historical growth of cities like HK, Shanghai, Tokyo, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, London, etc to see that the same is happening to Singapore.

There will be a day very soon when Geylang is included in 'downtown Singapore'.

Boon
30-04-07, 14:25
While some will disagree with me, I think Bugis serves as a good example of how a previously "tainted" area could be turned into a totally different development in a matter of 10-20 years.

Bugis Street, in the city-state (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-state) of Singapore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore), was renowned internationally from the 1950s to the 1980s for its nightly gathering of transwomen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transwomen), a phenomenon which made it one of Singapore's top tourist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourist) destinations during that period.
In the mid-1980s, Bugis Street underwent major urban redevelopment into a retail complex of modern shopping malls, restaurants and nightspots mixed with regulated back-alley roadside vendors. Underground digging to construct the Bugis MRT station (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugis_MRT_station) prior to that also caused the upheaval and termination of nightly transgender sex bazaar culture, marking the end of a colourful and unique era in Singapore's history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugis_Street

Unregistered
30-04-07, 15:59

Agreed that to "enbloc" Geylang only Li Ka Shing and the like has the monetary might to do so. Issue here is whether the Return of Investment (ROI) is attractive enough, else they have better place to put the money. (Not their S'pore anyway). Another issue is whether the prostitution operators are interest to "enbloc". If not, then only the government could "force them" to do it. But by forcing them, it is against the concept of "market forces" and make S'pore looks like an autocratic state (bad image for S'pore). With all these factors, it will take long long (beyond 2018 - latest MRT line tgt dte) for Geylang to be clean-up. MM Lee also ask which estate would want to volunteer for the relocation? I think the government knows that shifting the "problem" is also not the solution, especially when the business is legal in the law of S'pore. Since it is legal, then perhaps can suggest to the government to do upgrading (MUP) instead of relocation. First class IR and first class "Geylang" side by side will sure attract more tourist to S'pore and surely increase your rental yields as well.

Unregistered
30-04-07, 17:17
People respond differently and you call them clowns! What's these men? Must people all think like the way you think else they are clowns!

I simply giving a piece of my mind in case people rush in and got the wrong buy for wrong reason.

Geylang is fine if you are looking to buy for rental or as a "relaxation" mess, or keep a mistress etc...but not as a family place.

Would one wants the wife to be looked at as if she is a prostitute, or the children to grow up seeing all these prostitutes, young / old men lurking around...etc...c'mon.. these are problems...that's why the prices appear good and will be for a long time unless rental yields become 10% then prices start to move up correspondingly because too good for investment.

As for Geylang to be changed to be a "family" place, i think it would be impossible in our lifetime as this has been the most "cultural" and recognisable location of S'pore and also logistically just too impossible for the govt' and police after it is functioning so well! Why disturb it when this criminal infested location is operating so well and any criminals lurking in this region can be pulled up by CID anytime if some crime has been committed in S'pore etc.

Unregistered
30-04-07, 17:26
Would you mind posting some pics or renderings of the Atrium Residences? Am quite curious what it is about.

Daredevil
30-04-07, 22:11
Would you mind posting some pics or renderings of the Atrium Residences? Am quite curious what it is about.
Sure. I searched the Net and found this URL: http://www.jentan.com/projects/Atrium/index.aspx
It gives pictures of the property and a panaromic 3D view.

But a friendly warning if you are buying any condo in Geylang:
"Family Forfeits $22,000 in booking fees for Condo in Geylang" (It concerns this same condo)
http://www.sghousing.com/2006/07/page/2/
(this was before the IR craze started... )

... more controversy that makes this thread even more juicy.

Unregistered
01-05-07, 00:23
i am keen to buy a apt/condo in geylang and rent out. problem is bank does not grant loan. personally i feel it is good investment as long as the property can be rented out 90% of the time and then the rental can cover the instalment

what is the expected rental yield for atrium residence?

Unregistered
01-05-07, 00:25
Atrium fully sold? how come i still see them advertising?

Unregistered
01-05-07, 00:45
Even if red light is not moved out of Geylang, the good rental yield (since price are cheap) would still make geylang a good investment.

of course u may face prblm shd u want to sell in future (as bank are generally unwilling to grant loan) but as long as plan to keep it to collect rental income i think it is a worthwhile investment

Unregistered
01-05-07, 00:57
Refering to the article, why didnt the person take up the loan from finance house since Finance house are willing to grant him a loan?

the article mentioned that he worried that he may have problem selling his house in future so he rather give up 22k.

if he is staying in geylang for the long term he should take up the loan with hong leong than to lose the 22k.

maybe Finance house charge higher interest?

anyway i personally think earning 50k a year is not consider high income + a car loan made him less credit worthy despite having a good credit history.

Sure. I searched the Net and found this URL: http://www.jentan.com/projects/Atrium/index.aspx
It gives pictures of the property and a panaromic 3D view.

But a friendly warning if you are buying any condo in Geylang:
"Family Forfeits $22,000 in booking fees for Condo in Geylang" (It concerns this same condo)
http://www.sghousing.com/2006/07/page/2/
(this was before the IR craze started... )

... more controversy that makes this thread even more juicy.

Daredevil
01-05-07, 08:19
Refering to the article, why didnt the person take up the loan from finance house since Finance house are willing to grant him a loan?

the article mentioned that he worried that he may have problem selling his house in future so he rather give up 22k.

if he is staying in geylang for the long term he should take up the loan with hong leong than to lose the 22k.

maybe Finance house charge higher interest?

anyway i personally think earning 50k a year is not consider high income + a car loan made him less credit worthy despite having a good credit history.

Agreed. My 2 Cents... there's more to it.
Let me attempt a simplistic analysis:
Hong Leong Finance: For maximum loan entitlement, monthly instalments cannot exceed 33% of your monthly income
* Assuming his annual salary is $50k (including 13th bonus), his monthly salary is about $3846.
* He asked for a loan of $400k for 30 years which means that his monthly payment is $1852 (based on 3.75% interest rate which is currently HL's rate). That's already 48% of his monthly pay. This doesn't include his car loan

Even if he was to apply with his wife, it would be a real stretch (if you also include a car loan which easily consumes 10% of his monthly pay)
(a side note: For those interested, banks will loan you money if your monthly installment - all loan payments - doesn't exceed 40% (UOB goes as far as 46%). So do the math)

What about his father? Difficult. Age would be the limiting factor.

We don't have the facts to the above story but as you can see, the reporter didn't do his or her homework of verification.Assuming that the above analysis is true, than his remarks about being afraid that he cannot sell his property in future were just a smoke-screen.

..there's always 2 side to a story... take the side that fits your reality:cheers6: .

Daredevil
01-05-07, 08:44
i am keen to buy a apt/condo in geylang and rent out. problem is bank does not grant loan. personally i feel it is good investment as long as the property can be rented out 90% of the time and then the rental can cover the instalment

Atrium Residences will only be completed in 2009 (after the IR opens its doors). Currently, a typical 3 room apartment can fetch anywhere between $2.3k-$3k in the Geylang area. I expect the rents to go up to $3k-3.5k by then. (If the Red-light district moves, then it will be a bonus)

Currently, the Atrium residences you are seeing in the market are the sub-sales.

You can still get a loan from the likes of Hong Leong, RHB, May Bank (but the usual credit considerations apply). Alternatively, buy properties whose addresses do not contain "Lor" like those in Geylang Central, Geylang East (e.g Simsville, etc)

Unregistered
01-05-07, 10:22
Thanks Dareevil

Do u know there is any Apt worth buying in Lor 26-30? I starting to take a look at Geylang and am not sure but i though FH Apartment may have a higher rental yield right due to lower maintenance fee incurred by Condo
--------

Atrium Residences will only be completed in 2009 (after the IR opens its doors). Currently, a typical 3 room apartment can fetch anywhere between $2.3k-$3k in the Geylang area. I expect the rents to go up to $3k-3.5k by then. (If the Red-light district moves, then it will be a bonus)

Currently, the Atrium residences you are seeing in the market are the sub-sales.

You can still get a loan from the likes of Hong Leong, RHB, May Bank (but the usual credit considerations apply). Alternatively, buy properties whose addresses do not contain "Lor" like those in Geylang Central, Geylang East (e.g Simsville, etc)

crazy or what?
01-05-07, 11:35
Buying geylang is like commiting suicide. Unless you are a pimp or wannabe pimp, i suggest you stay out of the area. Do you know how hard is it to re-sell geylang units? If i buy geylang, it is definately for prostitute yield. 2-rm unit to squeeze 6prostitutes, 3-rm unit to squeeze 10prostitues, penthouse to squeeze 20prostitutes(can start a mess orgy club). Geylang will be and always be a fcuk joint. And the banks themselves know it. Potential capital gain is only from yield and not resale. But, becareful not to get caught renting out to prostitutes and so called students.

Unregistered
01-05-07, 12:05
yap i am keen on renting out for the yield
not looking at capital gain

Buying geylang is like commiting suicide. Unless you are a pimp or wannabe pimp, i suggest you stay out of the area. Do you know how hard is it to re-sell geylang units? If i buy geylang, it is definately for prostitute yield. 2-rm unit to squeeze 6prostitutes, 3-rm unit to squeeze 10prostitues, penthouse to squeeze 20prostitutes(can start a mess orgy club). Geylang will be and always be a fcuk joint. And the banks themselves know it. Potential capital gain is only from yield and not resale. But, becareful not to get caught renting out to prostitutes and so called students.

Unregistered
01-05-07, 16:17
yes, atrium residences is really very good, an amazing find in geylang.... saw it myself... better than some of the condos in the city and fringe.

Interested Investor
01-05-07, 16:34

I'm also interested to invest in Geylang for the yield. Agreed with you that the best yield will be to rent out to pro. But how to go about renting to pro who are normally on tourist visa and hence only short term stay of a couple of weeks. Issue here is how to get connected to them and also what happen if they don't pay. Maybe, unless we get connected to "pin" but will need to pay high commission. In view of complication and risk, might not be easy to get the anticipated yield. Would appreciate if our knowledgeable Daredevil can help to clarify some of my doubts and offer some info on how to rent to pro for max rental yield. Thks in advance.

Just my thoughts
01-05-07, 21:39
I'm puzzled. You can buy properties in other areas of Singapore and still get rental yields isn't it. Rental is also going North for location in the West and East and you'll be renting out to working professionals who will give you less headaches. Why would you want to go thru the trouble of dealing with the unknowns and worried about them running away?

Daredevil
01-05-07, 22:52
I'm also interested to invest in Geylang for the yield. Agreed with you that the best yield will be to rent out to pro. But how to go about renting to pro who are normally on tourist visa and hence only short term stay of a couple of weeks. Issue here is how to get connected to them and also what happen if they don't pay. Maybe, unless we get connected to "pin" but will need to pay high commission. In view of complication and risk, might not be easy to get the anticipated yield. Would appreciate if our knowledgeable Daredevil can help to clarify some of my doubts and offer some info on how to rent to pro for max rental yield. Thks in advance.

Hi "Interested Investor",
What I am going to share with u might be contrary to the opinions of the Geylang or "prostitute" experts you have heard from. So you decide.

I own another Geylang unit (99 year leasehold) which I will not tell u where (since i have received so many judgemental comments. A few have even concluded that I am a property agent which I am not).

I will give u my advice based on my own experience in living there for at least 2 years - and renting my apartment for the last 7 years. I do not claim to be an expert (as I always try to learn from others esp the other experts in this forum) but I guess that qualifies me to give u my own 2 cents worth (vs many others who have made judgements based on their own subjective perceptions and impressions).

Here are 3 strategies
Strategy #1: Get a condo near to the MRT stations (Paya Lebar or Aljunied) or the Circle line. While people tend to conclude that Geylang is a red-light district, in reality, the main activites are at lorongs (<20). There might be stray prostitutes from time to time - no choice.

Strategy #2: Do it the LEGAL way. Do not rent to any tom, dick (pun intended) or harry (another pun intended). No Students (let alone prostitutes). Ensure you check their documents. In my last 7 yrs, I have rent out to Chinese, Koreans, and Indians - all are legitimate working professionals in IT, banking (contrary to what is being said in this thread). I have never had to wait more than 1 month to find a tenant and i have not had huge difficulties collecting the rent. In fact, my current tenant is going to extend his current lease and increase his rent by another $500.

Strategy #3: Ensure you have ongoing "intelligence" of your tenants. Check with the guardhouse when you go there for maintenance. You will be surprised how much they know. Also ensure that the condo management knows who you are and how to contact you if there is an emergency. (this advice is applicable even outside Geylang). In my case, I insist that for air-con maintenance, the tenants use my contractor (who reports to me what is going on inside)

Having shared the above strategies, look for condos away from the main activity area. You can consider the odd-number lorongs like The Alcove, where banks are more open to providing loans. Then there are condos in Geylang Central and East (where all banks will provide loans - contrary to popular opinion. ).

A typical condo (>5 years) with 3 rooms cost between $450-550k. Assuming you place a 20% deposit (80%LTV:loan-to-value ratio), and go for the maximum loan period, you should be able to get a $300-500 positive monthly cashflow (that's extra cash after factoring in your condo maintenance).

There are people who are going to pour cold water on my recommendations but it's my own 2 cents worth since u asked.

While this thread has attracted serious investors, clowns, "prostitute" experts and kaypos who have provided entertaining, controversial and sometimes conflicting opinions, the fact is that the verdict is still open on the future of Geylang - which is going to be subjected to political, economic and social factors. For me, I am awaiting the Master Plan 2008 - which changes every 5 yrs. I have also based my investment plans on where Singapore is heading and not on opinions or perceptions.

Whether or not the red light district moves is immaterial to me. But if there are positive effects of IR, then I am sitting on a gold mine (make it 2). yes, I am taking a risk - and a few call me an idiot - but I have taken a calculated risk - with much upside. Good luck.

Disclaimer: accept my recommendations at your own risk. I will NOT share anymore other than the above

Unregistered
01-05-07, 23:21
Ya, got potential.
In line with the legalisation of homosexuality, also suggest that Geylang be developed into a real Gay World for the people. Change the name to Gayland. hehe.

Unregistered
02-05-07, 08:45
Yah man, this daredevil full of shit, Real daredevil alright. Must be fXXking prostitutes in his community without condoms. What a daredevil he is.
:)

Unregistered
02-05-07, 09:46
Please post only if you have something worthwhile to say. All that comes out of your mouth or mind is xxx. It's a waste of our time reading your silly, childish postings that add absolutely NO VALUE AT ALL.

Shangrila
02-05-07, 10:44
Geylang is the best. Imagine buying and staying there. By standing at your PES(private enclosed space). 1.You have very nice views of people bonking at the opp. apartments. 2.Nice view of skimpy dressed women of different nationalities solicitating customers of all ages and races. 3).Realistic martial arts action between men and sometimes women of diff races and ages. Great place to live in and even better, to start a family. Best of it all, foreigners are all dying to live in geylang. Geylangs' global reputation as a exciting town streches even to the ends of Shangrila.

Just my thoughts
02-05-07, 13:45
Mr Daredevils you started this thread and you invited people to comments. But now you're calling people clowns, "prostitute" experts and kaypos. If you cannot accept others opinion, you shouldn't have started it in the first place.

Anyway, I'm getting out of here. Whatever it is, good luck to your investments.

Daredevil
02-05-07, 14:40
Mr Daredevils you started this thread and you invited people to comments. But now you're calling people clowns, "prostitute" experts and kaypos. If you cannot accept others opinion, you shouldn't have started it in the first place.

Anyway, I'm getting out of here. Whatever it is, good luck to your investments.
Mr Just My Thoughts, your comments and contributions have been valuable and adds value to the thread (as are many others). I am referring to those who talk sex and do name calling, as well as those who jokingly hypothesize about renting out to prostitutes. They are not serious about having a meaningful discussion. I'm sure your intention here is to have a productive discussion, which is my objective too. (and many others on this thread)

From the response so far, two differing views have been provided... which have achieved the thread's objective. Good luck everyone.

Interested Investor
02-05-07, 15:01
Hi "Interested Investor",
What I am going to share with u might be contrary to the opinions of the Geylang or "prostitute" experts you have heard from. So you decide.

I own another Geylang unit (99 year leasehold) which I will not tell u where (since i have received so many judgemental comments. A few have even concluded that I am a property agent which I am not).

I will give u my advice based on my own experience in living there for at least 2 years - and renting my apartment for the last 7 years. I do not claim to be an expert (as I always try to learn from others esp the other experts in this forum) but I guess that qualifies me to give u my own 2 cents worth (vs many others who have made judgements based on their own subjective perceptions and impressions).

Here are 3 strategies
Strategy #1: Get a condo near to the MRT stations (Paya Lebar or Aljunied) or the Circle line. While people tend to conclude that Geylang is a red-light district, in reality, the main activites are at lorongs (<20). There might be stray prostitutes from time to time - no choice.

Strategy #2: Do it the LEGAL way. Do not rent to any tom, dick (pun intended) or harry (another pun intended). No Students (let alone prostitutes). Ensure you check their documents. In my last 7 yrs, I have rent out to Chinese, Koreans, and Indians - all are legitimate working professionals in IT, banking (contrary to what is being said in this thread). I have never had to wait more than 1 month to find a tenant and i have not had huge difficulties collecting the rent. In fact, my current tenant is going to extend his current lease and increase his rent by another $500.

Strategy #3: Ensure you have ongoing "intelligence" of your tenants. Check with the guardhouse when you go there for maintenance. You will be surprised how much they know. Also ensure that the condo management knows who you are and how to contact you if there is an emergency. (this advice is applicable even outside Geylang). In my case, I insist that for air-con maintenance, the tenants use my contractor (who reports to me what is going on inside)

Having shared the above strategies, look for condos away from the main activity area. You can consider the odd-number lorongs like The Alcove, where banks are more open to providing loans. Then there are condos in Geylang Central and East (where all banks will provide loans - contrary to popular opinion. ).

A typical condo (>5 years) with 3 rooms cost between $450-550k. Assuming you place a 20% deposit (80%LTV:loan-to-value ratio), and go for the maximum loan period, you should be able to get a $300-500 positive monthly cashflow (that's extra cash after factoring in your condo maintenance).

There are people who are going to pour cold water on my recommendations but it's my own 2 cents worth since u asked.

While this thread has attracted serious investors, clowns, "prostitute" experts and kaypos who have provided entertaining, controversial and sometimes conflicting opinions, the fact is that the verdict is still open on the future of Geylang - which is going to be subjected to political, economic and social factors. For me, I am awaiting the Master Plan 2008 - which changes every 5 yrs. I have also based my investment plans on where Singapore is heading and not on opinions or perceptions.

Whether or not the red light district moves is immaterial to me. But if there are positive effects of IR, then I am sitting on a gold mine (make it 2). yes, I am taking a risk - and a few call me an idiot - but I have taken a calculated risk - with much upside. Good luck.

Disclaimer: accept my recommendations at your own risk. I will NOT share anymore other than the above

Thks for your response to my query. They are useful considerations for me. I really appreciate you taking the time and trouble to do it promptly as well. Pse don't get agitated by others negative comments on him and do continue to provide your views.

Geylang NO1!
02-05-07, 16:13
Geylang is the best. Imagine buying and staying there. By standing at your PES(private enclosed space). 1.You have very nice views of people bonking at the opp. apartments. 2.Nice view of skimpy dressed women of different nationalities solicitating customers of all ages and races. 3).Realistic martial arts action between men and sometimes women of diff races and ages. Great place to live in and even better, to start a family. Best of it all, foreigners are all dying to live in geylang. Geylangs' global reputation as a exciting town streches even to the ends of Shangrila.
After realizing the potential in Geylang, i am going to sell my The Sail and St Regis and focus all my energy, time and money in Geylang. That is where the true potential is. Based on what i get back from my sale, profit should be roughly 4 million. 4 million how many units can i buy in geylang? I need daredevil to advise me.

DRSG
02-05-07, 16:30
:) :scared-4: :doh: :scared-1: :scared-5:

verbatin
02-05-07, 23:04
Hi Daredevil,

I hv been thinking abt getting a property at geylang too.

I agree with u. there is potential in geylang and rental yield is good. i am not counting on the master plan but rental yield is attractive enough for me to consider buying.

Atrium RESDIENCE only TOP in 2009. I am worried it maybe tough to service my loan (assuming i am able to get a bank loan) for the next 2 year without rental income.

In your opinion, are they any good freehold Apt/Condo beside atrium residence in Lor 26-28? i am only keen on freehold.

Since u own house at geylang, are u willing to disclose what is the net rental yield that u r getting?

Thanks

Unregistered
03-05-07, 13:33
Hey Daredevil!

Dont listen to the nay sayers, ive picked up a unit next to the Aljunied MRT and am loving the proximity to town, not to mention the great condo. Again, i bought it to stay for a few years and then rent out when i leave. The yields are excellent and the flats are big, contrary to what others are saying, there are plenty of different people who are renting out units there - not just the pros.

If the government cleans up then great, im rich! Im, not really in any rush & in 10 years, ill be amazed if they still keep the low rise geylang model of rundown shophouses given that the plot ratios in that area are 3 - 4! Check it out on the URA....

Think of it this way, when the government is putting up 50 story condos all over the island EXCEPT for geylang, ull be swimming about in ure pool with a low density lay out of only 8 stories... ;>

If not, no problem; still collecting good rental...

p.s. take it from someone who has lived in rough cities, the area aint that bad, just go to other countries like the US, UK, France etc... and then tell me if you think that Geylang is 'rough, a den of gambling and gangsters....' ;>

In fact, im off to buy another, buy 2 get one free!

Cheers!

cornholio
03-05-07, 13:38
ill be amazed if they still keep the low rise geylang model of rundown shophouses given that the plot ratios in that area are 3 - 4! Check it out on the URA....

Amazing! I am surprised that investors hadn't picked up on this clue. I will go check it out.

Unregistered
03-05-07, 15:04
Actually, the plot ratios are between 2.8 - 3 in the 'lorongs' and just outside the aljunied MRT there is a patch of grass, the plot ratio there is 4.5!!

To give you an idea,

extracted from the URA

Standard GPR/Storey Height Typology for Residential Development

Gross Plot Ratio Storey Height Control
1.4 5
1.6 12
2.1 24
2.8 36
>2.8 >36

And 4.5 -?? Could be real high, more towards Paya Lebar though....

Daredevil
05-05-07, 08:59
Hi Daredevil,

I agree with u. there is potential in geylang and rental yield is good. i am not counting on the master plan but rental yield is attractive enough for me to consider buying.

Atrium RESDIENCE only TOP in 2009. I am worried it maybe tough to service my loan (assuming i am able to get a bank loan) for the next 2 year without rental income.

In your opinion, are they any good freehold Apt/Condo beside atrium residence in Lor 26-28? i am only keen on freehold.

Since u own house at geylang, are u willing to disclose what is the net rental yield that u r getting?

Thanks
HI Verbatin, revealing my net rental yield won't help you as there are many factors that would be missed. You can derive this on your own by looking at the classifieds. A freehold condo generally cost between $650-750k in Geylang (assuming 3 room apartment). Let's assume you can rent it out at $3000.

Here are the Calculations and Pitfalls:
How much downpayment are you going to put in? (10 or 20%)?
Assuming you put 20% and borrow on a price of $700k, you would be loaning 560k. Your monthly loan repayment is about $2600 a month (based on current interest rates and assuming a 30 year loan). Your total operating costs (your monthly loan + condo maintenance) is already $2800. (Condo maintenance is about $850-900 per qtr). You will have a positive cashflow of $100. (I did not add in your stamp/legal fees, other costs incurred like furniture,etc).

Now here's the thing that people often miss. When you buy a property for investment (and not to stay in), the bank will only loan you 70% of the loan (Here's a gotcha that could disrupt your plans). The advertisements you see in the newspapers or web sites (e.g 10% downpayment) all relate to people who intend to stay in the property. My strategy is usually to stay in the place for a year or so.

The usual recommend real estate investment strategy is to ensure you have a positive cashflow each month- while holding the property for a number of years for capital appreciation. So the above proposition doesn't look very attractive.

Hence, you can do 3 things to increase cashflow:
* put in more money as a downpayment and reduce the outstanding loan
* go for the maximum loan period and the lowest interest rates you can find
* buy a cheaper 3 room apartment (which means you will have to settle for a 99 year condo which costs between $480 to 600k). That will increase your rental yields significantly.

Option 3 is your best bet. While there is a general preference for freehold properties, it seems that many people don't have a clear investment (and exit strategy - I'm sure the other experts in this thread might want to give an opinion on this). You need to be clear on what your objectives are.

Your worry at not being able to service your loan is valid. Assuming you are able to get a loan (based on your credit history and ability), you might want to know that banks are actually very flexible should you run into trouble. Since 50-60%+ of your monthly loan is actually interest rates payment, ensuring you keep paying the interest rates is crucial. Its all about negotiation and getting their approval as banks will want a win win situation. That is why you should ensure that you make regular payment (and don't give the banks an excuse to penalise you)

- enough said... good luck
(BTW, do you folks out there think that it would be worthwhile spinning a new thread on investment strategies where we share our strategies? Am keen to share notes and learn from other more experience investors)

humble man
05-05-07, 12:00
(BTW, do you folks out there think that it would be worthwhile spinning a new thread on investment strategies where we share our strategies? Am keen to share notes and learn from other more experience investors)

Of course! To me, buying a condo is all about investment. Property investment has a lot to do with trends. Can you still make significant money trading properties in a down market using superior strategy? Please start the thread, Daredevil si fu! :D

zZZZZzzz
05-05-07, 12:32
Daredevil is a cockanadan with zero IQ that thinks he is so smart and giving out 1/2 cents of crap advise to get suckers to purchase dead zones like geylang. There is a reason why the banks are not generous in giving out loans in geylang. Because, it is a red light district. Daredevil seems to be ignoring the fact that geylang is improving for the worst. Have you guys gone down lately to see Geylang? All the action starts from lunch time until early morning 3am. How condusive can geylang be for potential tenants when they can rent a place elsewhere for the same price? There are units in east coast, bukit timah and even river valley asking for $3,000 or less p/mth. Which fool other than prostitutes or foreign workers will stay in geylang? Geylang apartments are very notorious with the 3bm apartment having 9 beds. Go down and take a look at your surrondings first. BTW SIMS is opp some KTVs and there are streetwalkers around that area anyway.

let's be civilised
05-05-07, 15:03
time will tell if daredevil's insights are correct... whichever way, there is really no need for name calling. this is after all a forum for discussion and it will be so much more pleasant if all can make the effort to present their arguments in a civilised manner.

Unregistered
05-05-07, 22:12
What daredevils said is general investment knowledge only. There is nothing unique to investing in Geyland property.

FO
06-05-07, 12:27
This website full of investors, gamblers and property agents that think that people will get brainwashed and start buying anything. So that their commitments at stake will reap in more money for them.
This website has a bunch of Motherfxxkin axxholes with brains filled with shXt from the toilet in istana.

verbatin
06-05-07, 12:34
HI Verbatin, revealing my net rental yield won't help you as there are many factors that would be missed. You can derive this on your own by looking at the classifieds. A freehold condo generally cost between $650-750k in Geylang (assuming 3 room apartment). Let's assume you can rent it out at $3000.

Here are the Calculations and Pitfalls:
How much downpayment are you going to put in? (10 or 20%)?
Assuming you put 20% and borrow on a price of $700k, you would be loaning 560k. Your monthly loan repayment is about $2600 a month (based on current interest rates and assuming a 30 year loan). Your total operating costs (your monthly loan + condo maintenance) is already $2800. (Condo maintenance is about $850-900 per qtr). You will have a positive cashflow of $100. (I did not add in your stamp/legal fees, other costs incurred like furniture,etc).

Now here's the thing that people often miss. When you buy a property for investment (and not to stay in), the bank will only loan you 70% of the loan (Here's a gotcha that could disrupt your plans). The advertisements you see in the newspapers or web sites (e.g 10% downpayment) all relate to people who intend to stay in the property. My strategy is usually to stay in the place for a year or so.

The usual recommend real estate investment strategy is to ensure you have a positive cashflow each month- while holding the property for a number of years for capital appreciation. So the above proposition doesn't look very attractive.

Hence, you can do 3 things to increase cashflow:
* put in more money as a downpayment and reduce the outstanding loan
* go for the maximum loan period and the lowest interest rates you can find
* buy a cheaper 3 room apartment (which means you will have to settle for a 99 year condo which costs between $480 to 600k). That will increase your rental yields significantly.

Option 3 is your best bet. While there is a general preference for freehold properties, it seems that many people don't have a clear investment (and exit strategy - I'm sure the other experts in this thread might want to give an opinion on this). You need to be clear on what your objectives are.

Your worry at not being able to service your loan is valid. Assuming you are able to get a loan (based on your credit history and ability), you might want to know that banks are actually very flexible should you run into trouble. Since 50-60%+ of your monthly loan is actually interest rates payment, ensuring you keep paying the interest rates is crucial. Its all about negotiation and getting their approval as banks will want a win win situation. That is why you should ensure that you make regular payment (and don't give the banks an excuse to penalise you)

- enough said... good luck

-------

Hi Daredevil

Thanks for sharing.

I know it may not be relevant to reveal your rental yield as many factors are involved.

Maybe u could juz roughly share what is the expected rental yield around Lor 26-30 snce u hv been a landlord for the past 7 year? is it 5% or above? I will only find it attractive for such "higher risk" location.

I dont hv problem paying 30% in cash. the stumbling block is getting a loan from the bank. Check with bankers and all don't do biz except maybe Hong Leong Finance. (I hv above average mthly income and has very good credit history. No other debt except my HDB flat loan of 120k)

As my main aim is the rental yield, do u think it is better to buy Apartment instead of condo (where maintainence is cheaper and hence higher yield)?

Thanks

Unregistered
07-05-07, 16:35
-------

Hi Daredevil

Thanks for sharing.

I know it may not be relevant to reveal your rental yield as many factors are involved.

Maybe u could juz roughly share what is the expected rental yield around Lor 26-30 snce u hv been a landlord for the past 7 year? is it 5% or above? I will only find it attractive for such "higher risk" location.

I dont hv problem paying 30% in cash. the stumbling block is getting a loan from the bank. Check with bankers and all don't do biz except maybe Hong Leong Finance. (I hv above average mthly income and has very good credit history. No other debt except my HDB flat loan of 120k)

As my main aim is the rental yield, do u think it is better to buy Apartment instead of condo (where maintainence is cheaper and hence higher yield)?

Thanks
Rental yield only 3%.Head big.

SAD TRUTH
08-05-07, 00:05
Singaporeans are brained wash by the media, this year can go up by 20%, next year by 30%. All these are ambiguous statements thru our Media by our polictitions and institutions that gain from it. They are just interested in making the broad public go into a buying frenzy and pick up all the overpriced launches. Because when the broad market picks up, guess you gain the most? We are just individuals. They are Gov, developers, institutions, banks and property transaction companies.

Gov gains by releasing land at extremly high prices that were either aquired cheap or even free.
Developers gains by selling new launches at ridiculous prices, plus raise the prices of TOPed projects that still have unsold units.
Instituions gains by buying up prime properties here and justify the purchaces by issuing shares(IPO) or diluting the share value by issuing more. Buy up more and more to push prices up as to wait for the right time for release. The best part is the money they use for these purchases are not even their money, haha, it is the public money again. Property Reits involved.
Banks needless to say. Property market boom = Super business for banks.
Raise interest rate, push out more bank loans....
Property companies will get their cut/commision on every sale. The more the transactions, the more the profit.
These are the people that say the market is booming. sounds like they have alot in stake to be un-bias when reporting news don't you think so?

SAD TRUTH

Mummy.
08-05-07, 09:38
Singaporeans are brained wash by the media, this year can go up by 20%, next year by 30%. All these are ambiguous statements thru our Media by our polictitions and institutions that gain from it. They are just interested in making the broad public go into a buying frenzy and pick up all the overpriced launches. Because when the broad market picks up, guess you gain the most? We are just individuals. They are Gov, developers, institutions, banks and property transaction companies.

Gov gains by releasing land at extremly high prices that were either aquired cheap or even free.
Developers gains by selling new launches at ridiculous prices, plus raise the prices of TOPed projects that still have unsold units.
Instituions gains by buying up prime properties here and justify the purchaces by issuing shares(IPO) or diluting the share value by issuing more. Buy up more and more to push prices up as to wait for the right time for release. The best part is the money they use for these purchases are not even their money, haha, it is the public money again. Property Reits involved.
Banks needless to say. Property market boom = Super business for banks.
Raise interest rate, push out more bank loans....
Property companies will get their cut/commision on every sale. The more the transactions, the more the profit.
These are the people that say the market is booming. sounds like they have alot in stake to be un-bias when reporting news don't you think so?

SAD TRUTH

Why so sad?
Did we not told you many times to avoid prostitution?
See what happened now! You got yourself in trouble!
Next time open your big ears and listen carefully.

Unregistered
08-05-07, 11:33
Geylang 2.8 plot ratio. Some areas in Geylang are higher.

Just watch. Govt not stupid one!

Unregistered
08-05-07, 13:25
Yup plot ratio 2.8, but here is the question, how high can they build?

Unregistered
17-05-07, 08:46
Anyone? I heard they were limited to 8 stories

biggie biggie
17-05-07, 23:00
Anyone? I heard they were limited to 8 stories

Can't be. Some condos there are already higher than that!

Unregistered
18-05-07, 08:49
People like DAREDEVIL pretend to be a owner when he is a property agent.
This website really has a lot of play acting.
Really makes me sick in the stomach.

Unregistered
18-05-07, 08:56
Even if he is a property agent, i still find the discussion interesting. Ive been looking at that area and am still finding it hard to believe that the low valuations will continue in light of the skyrocketing prices just 1km away.

Has anyone heard of the new development near the kallang mrt called the riverine? heard that the starting prices are 1000+ per square foot!

so what.
18-05-07, 10:33
Even if he is a property agent, i still find the discussion interesting. Ive been looking at that area and am still finding it hard to believe that the low valuations will continue in light of the skyrocketing prices just 1km away.

Has anyone heard of the new development near the kallang mrt called the riverine? heard that the starting prices are 1000+ per square foot!
True, he is definately a property agent. Base on his discussions it is very obvious. But at least DAREDEVIL trys to give you a valid reason for promoting those areas right?

Daredevil
18-05-07, 10:50
True, he is definately a property agent. Base on his discussions it is very obvious. But at least DAREDEVIL trys to give you a valid reason for promoting those areas right?
Folks, I normally don't like to respond to groundless accusations. Saying that I am a property agent is an insult to me. My observations come from the fact that part of my current job involves analysis. I am putting my years of experience into good use - and hoping to learn from others as well.

And I am sick of hearing people conclude that I am a property agent. I only recently started to focus on real estate investments.

All I have been getting is crap and insults. But comments/contributions from serious investors keep me coming back.

I would appreciate if we focus on the topic of this thread.

lame
18-05-07, 11:17
The property agent has responded. Wow, what a fast reply, you must be an agent on duty in Casa merah righttttt.... hanging around waiting for bait and chatting on the net plus look at this website

Unregistered
23-05-07, 17:55
So whats the verdict?

Its sounds good to me.

IR, Paya Lebar developing, new developments Atrium etc... Circle line, Kallang stadium.

Im not sure the gov is going to clean the place up, but i am curious about how the rental yields on 99 yr flats are going to be like in the next 2 yrs.

joe
23-05-07, 18:14
It sounds good to me as well. However I am not much of a risk taker :o so investing in this area right now is out for me. Perhaps others with bigger risk appetites may want to consider. :cool:

Unregistered
23-05-07, 19:44
So whats the verdict?

Its sounds good to me.

IR, Paya Lebar developing, new developments Atrium etc... Circle line, Kallang stadium.

Im not sure the gov is going to clean the place up, but i am curious about how the rental yields on 99 yr flats are going to be like in the next 2 yrs.

The rental yield is abt 6.4% (without deducting maint. fee, prop tax, etc) for me. I have a 99yr old development near paya lebar mrt.

Unregistered
24-05-07, 02:45
The rental yield is abt 6.4% (without deducting maint. fee, prop tax, etc) for me. I have a 99yr old development near paya lebar mrt.

Is it Waterina? :)

Unregistered
24-05-07, 08:50
Is it Waterina? :)

Isn't Waterina freehold?

Elsewhere?
24-05-07, 15:14
While most of the speculation and Pros (hee hee) and Cons (hee hee again) are valid, why this focus on Geyland with a likelihood of a very long term hold (10-20 years I hear) before the capital appreciation can be realised when there are other worthy investments elsewhere? Consider the opportunity cost of tying down your cash in Geyland which does not offer an easy or quick exit since it is generally agreed by all that disposal is difficult due to repute and bank loan problems.

oops!
24-05-07, 16:23
Geylang is a long shot. At least 10 years.

hee hee

Maybe...
24-05-07, 22:28
While most of the speculation and Pros (hee hee) and Cons (hee hee again) are valid, why this focus on Geyland with a likelihood of a very long term hold (10-20 years I hear) before the capital appreciation can be realised when there are other worthy investments elsewhere? Consider the opportunity cost of tying down your cash in Geyland which does not offer an easy or quick exit since it is generally agreed by all that disposal is difficult due to repute and bank loan problems.

Bank loan problems apply to Lor 1-30. The other lorongs are easy to obtain bank loans (citibank, DBS, OCBC are all willing to offer). Other locations within the central area seems to have better potential...but in today's red hot market, I guess it's hard to pick a bargain. I have been studying the property market lately...property prices in Geylang is still within the affordable range of $500+ psf for freehold and $330-$400 psf for leasehold. Maybe that's why it is still attractive to select group of investors. Where else can you find this price range for it's close proximity to City (10-12mins MRT ride to Raffles Place), future sub-regional centre & circle/east west line MRT interchange? Maybe Little India area is another good catch?

Unregistered
25-05-07, 18:01
Its definately a buy and hold 10 + yrs, Actaully if u look closer to Paya Lebar the prices have already gone up, its more near the flats near the atrium, alcove etc... that have yet to see any move, maybe its the family temples there that are putting people off.

Unregistered
26-05-07, 12:37
Isn't Waterina freehold?

Waterina is freehold. Alcove, Aston Mansions, Central Grove, Sims Ville & Sims Residences are 99years leasehold.

verbatin
17-06-07, 02:37
heard Geylang (those Lorongs) cannot built high rise building (limited to 8th storey) as it is close to Paya Lebar Airport.

Is this true?

How come nearby (such as Geylang East Ave 1) can build higher than 8th storey?

Unregistered
17-06-07, 10:30
Yeah i heard that the limit is 8 stories, but the plot ratio is 2.8... How come at Paya Lebar citiplaza and the rest can be above 8? I think the area will only really be for smaller boutique projects. Any thoughts?

Unregistered
18-06-07, 23:05
Aiyoh! Some guy just trash-talked Geylang again:

http://gapuraland.blogspot.com/2007/06/on-why-yifu-wont-touch-red-areas.html

Not so nice for us who believe in the place.

Unregistered
19-06-07, 09:44
Who cares, there are no end of people who talk badly about the place...

I particularly like the part where he mentions buying the smallest place in the best possible part of Singapore ;>, No wonder i hear stories of people living with 3 generations in 800 ft2!!

To me thats just silly.

People are just going to have to get over this fear of geylang (i can understand in the low lorongs its a bit much) but whats the big deal, there are pros in Orchard, Clark quay, China town not to mention all the KTV's and 'health spas' all over the island...

Unregistered
22-06-07, 02:01
i think with prices scaling like nobody's biz, ultimately, freehold or leasehold doesnt matter cos budget matters the most ... the premium gap one pays for freehold has increased tremendously... so is it worth the while.........

i think there's nothing to fear in geylang... it's only the newly wed and those with teenage or young ladies in their 20s who fear.... other than that, geylang is no wild jungle to fear..........good projects there are certainly worth investing... the banks just simply have to clear their mental blockade first....

Unregistered
22-06-07, 17:18
i think with prices scaling like nobody's biz, ultimately, freehold or leasehold doesnt matter cos budget matters the most ... the premium gap one pays for freehold has increased tremendously... so is it worth the while.........

i think there's nothing to fear in geylang... it's only the newly wed and those with teenage or young ladies in their 20s who fear.... other than that, geylang is no wild jungle to fear..........good projects there are certainly worth investing... the banks just simply have to clear their mental blockade first....

I disagree with the writer above. There's everything to fear about staying in a place like present-day Geylang. ...and it's not just newly-weds or those with teenage daughters. The place is just not wholesome for anyone with a family and who believes in traditional, conservative Asian values. I for one wouldn't want to be anywhere close to the flesh business. Yuck!

Travis Bickle
22-06-07, 17:33
All the animals come out at night - whores, skunk pussies, buggers, queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, sick, venal. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.

Unregistered
22-06-07, 17:59
All the animals come out at night - whores, skunk pussies, buggers, queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, sick, venal. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.

good quote! this quote from the movie taxi driver certainly applies to Geylang in Singapore. What a great residential area this would be if not for the sick stuff that goes around.

clickhere
22-06-07, 23:43
Can anyone please kindly let me know which properties around the greater Geylang, Paya Lebar, Aljunied, Eunos & Kembagan areas are going to "TOP" soon or just "TOP"? I am very keen to buy a small unit there to rent out. I would like to get a small apartment that is near to an MRT station costing around S$500K only (CPF funds, don't wish to take a bank loan). I am glad to come across this thread. Thanks.

Unregistered
27-06-07, 21:57
. A freehold condo generally cost between $650-750k in Geylang (assuming 3 room apartment).

650k-750k for freehold condo in geylang is not worth it.

free hold condos (hume park, southhaven) in bukit timah went for that kind of price just 1.5 years ago...

if you guys has missed the boat , then just have to wait for the next slum to buy a affordable and value-for-money condo.
Rather than jump onto the overheated property market....

For geylang freehold,...unless it drops below $500k then i'll consider.

Unregistered
01-07-07, 10:37
SINGAPORE: Jurong and Paya Lebar have been designated as new business hubs under the upcoming Master Plan 2008 review.

Giving a preview of the plans in a Channel NewsAsia interview, National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan said the move would provide space for Singapore's continued growth as a global business centre and would offer an alternative to the overcrowded Central Business District (CBD) area.

The Master Plan guides Singapore's medium-term land use and is reviewed every five years.

To grow Jurong and Paya Lebar into new hubs for businesses, the government plans to release sites for new offices, shops, homes and entertainment outlets in these areas.

According to the minister, the lower costs will be a key pull factor.

He said: "I think the best incentive is that it will offer cheaper office space – cheaper than the CBD. It will offer proximity to workers who live in some of the nearby residences. And of course, it's going to be a very nice leisure and recreational area as well. In Jurong, for example, we can redevelop the areas around the Jurong Lake, which can provide very nice retail and F&B outlets on the waterfront."

The specific locations of the sites have yet to be determined, but they will be centred around the existing MRT stations.

For Jurong, these MRT stations would likely be the Lakeside, Boon Lay or Jurong East stations, while the Paya Lebar station is the likely candidate in the east.

Mr Mah added that he does not see the need for land acquisition by the government as there are plenty of empty land sites in these areas.

The new hubs are seen as part of the long-term answer to the current office space crunch.

Mr Mah said: "It will take us quite a number of years to build up Jurong and Paya Lebar. I remember we took at least ten years to fully develop Tampines as a regional centre. So I think, depending on the reaction of the market, it may take just as long. This is really something to help us sustain our growth in the longer term."

Other more immediate options to ease the space crunch in CBD include sale of new sites and short-term transitional office sites.

As for speculation about drastic increases in plot ratios for land around the island to cope with an anticipated rise in population, the minister said there is no need for such a move at this point.

He explained that the figure of 6.5 million is actually a very long-term guide, spanning up to 50 years.

Mr Mah said: "If that is the case, then there's really no urgent need for us to drastically change all our plot ratios or up the intensity of all the various parcels of land that we have.

"We've been doing this gradually over many years. There has been a review of various plot ratios in every Master Plan and we've gradually and steadily reviewed the intensity and use of each of these plots. It's not something that we need to do across the board at this point in time, based on the reviews that we have done."

The Master Plan will also include new details of living options, facilities for leisure and ways to encourage rootedness in Singapore.

The new Master Plan will be put up for public feedback by the middle of next year.

Unregistered
01-07-07, 14:04
SINGAPORE: Jurong and Paya Lebar have been designated as new business hubs under the upcoming Master Plan 2008 review.

Giving a preview of the plans in a Channel NewsAsia interview, National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan said the move would provide space for Singapore's continued growth as a global business centre and would offer an alternative to the overcrowded Central Business District (CBD) area.

The Master Plan guides Singapore's medium-term land use and is reviewed every five years.

To grow Jurong and Paya Lebar into new hubs for businesses, the government plans to release sites for new offices, shops, homes and entertainment outlets in these areas.

According to the minister, the lower costs will be a key pull factor.

He said: "I think the best incentive is that it will offer cheaper office space – cheaper than the CBD. It will offer proximity to workers who live in some of the nearby residences. And of course, it's going to be a very nice leisure and recreational area as well. In Jurong, for example, we can redevelop the areas around the Jurong Lake, which can provide very nice retail and F&B outlets on the waterfront."

The specific locations of the sites have yet to be determined, but they will be centred around the existing MRT stations.

For Jurong, these MRT stations would likely be the Lakeside, Boon Lay or Jurong East stations, while the Paya Lebar station is the likely candidate in the east.

Mr Mah added that he does not see the need for land acquisition by the government as there are plenty of empty land sites in these areas.

The new hubs are seen as part of the long-term answer to the current office space crunch.

Mr Mah said: "It will take us quite a number of years to build up Jurong and Paya Lebar. I remember we took at least ten years to fully develop Tampines as a regional centre. So I think, depending on the reaction of the market, it may take just as long. This is really something to help us sustain our growth in the longer term."

Other more immediate options to ease the space crunch in CBD include sale of new sites and short-term transitional office sites.

As for speculation about drastic increases in plot ratios for land around the island to cope with an anticipated rise in population, the minister said there is no need for such a move at this point.

He explained that the figure of 6.5 million is actually a very long-term guide, spanning up to 50 years.

Mr Mah said: "If that is the case, then there's really no urgent need for us to drastically change all our plot ratios or up the intensity of all the various parcels of land that we have.

"We've been doing this gradually over many years. There has been a review of various plot ratios in every Master Plan and we've gradually and steadily reviewed the intensity and use of each of these plots. It's not something that we need to do across the board at this point in time, based on the reviews that we have done."

The Master Plan will also include new details of living options, facilities for leisure and ways to encourage rootedness in Singapore.

The new Master Plan will be put up for public feedback by the middle of next year.
After reading I wonder what has it got to do with this Geylang area?????

Unregistered
01-07-07, 17:28
If u look closely you'll find that Paya Lebar is next door to Geylang.

Again this is just going to prove what i have always thought, Geylang is a mid term buy, Kallang stadium, Kallang water sports, F1, Marina bay round the corner.

If there is no concrete move to clean up (not nessecessarily to move) the red light area, ill be very surprised.

However i think the horizon is about 1o years...

Unregistered
01-07-07, 22:08

Again this is just going to prove what i have always thought, Geylang is a mid term buy, Kallang stadium, Kallang water sports, F1, Marina bay round the corner.

If there is no concrete move to clean up (not nessecessarily to move) the red light area, ill be very surprised.

Developing Kallang basin area and Paya Lebar in master plan 2008 does not mean has to do similar Geylang despite it's sandwich between them. May be wait for master plan 2013. Government doesn't have so much money to do so many sites within 5 years period.

Unregistered
01-07-07, 22:12

That I agree, alot of people are saying that the red light area will be move away. But ..... where are there going to? all the places in singapore are mostly HDB or pte residential area, who want them, even Joo Chiat area are not for them. How and where to move???????

Unregistered
02-07-07, 09:09
Developing Kallang basin area and Paya Lebar in master plan 2008 does not mean has to do similar Geylang despite it's sandwich between them. May be wait for master plan 2013. Government doesn't have so much money to do so many sites within 5 years period.

Again, it would be a real shame to have lots of respectable residential property (read, joo chiat, upper changi etc...), another business district then the redlight district then the brand spanking new sports hub and then town...

Its not a great image and knowing the government, not the image they want to put out.

As for where to put it... Who knows, but there are plenty of places around the island that are not going to be next to residential areas and a new business district!!! The docks, china town, jurong etc...

Unregistered
02-07-07, 11:43
That I agree, alot of people are saying that the red light area will be move away. But ..... where are there going to? all the places in singapore are mostly HDB or pte residential area, who want them, even Joo Chiat area are not for them. How and where to move???????

From what I heard, they are moving them to Kranji.

Unregistered
02-07-07, 13:04
From what I heard, they are moving them to Kranji.

That kind of entertainment will always be there, as long as the is demand, then supply will automatically comes. Could be high class, mid class, and low class. - e.g. Orchard, Clarke Quay, Geylang. Govt knows it cannot ban this or it will go everywhere - worst illegally. Similarly, Govt cannot force it to go too ulu place either, as they will also go everywhere to search for business.

Unregistered
02-07-07, 13:35
That kind of entertainment will always be there, as long as the is demand, then supply will automatically comes. Could be high class, mid class, and low class. - e.g. Orchard, Clarke Quay, Geylang. Govt knows it cannot ban this or it will go everywhere - worst illegally. Similarly, Govt cannot force it to go too ulu place either, as they will also go everywhere to search for business.

Not sure i agree with the argument that the gov can not force them to go to ulu area. While you make a good point about the gov. wanting to control and localise the activity, i think that there may be more control and potentially more tax revenue for the gov to centralise the activity in a large shopping mall type location. By the way, im not sure if you have noticed but the girls are already all over the place, i see them in China town, in clubs in Clark quay etc...

The easy way to force them out: do not renew KTV, brothel licences in the area but at the same time give them an area with better facilities and control (an offer they cant refuse...). As it is Geylang is a bit of a mess, the area would be better suited as a bugis eat all u can, cinema entertainment type area, hey what the hell throw in a few massage joints for old times sake! ;>

By the way, ive hear kranji as well, but also jurong. I would be interested to hear if anyone has any concrete source on this one? Again, my sources are hearsay and probably originate from the same person.

verbatin
05-07-07, 22:40
u cannot compare geylang current price with Bukit timah price 1.5 year ago

1.5 year ago property just bottom out.

------------

650k-750k for freehold condo in geylang is not worth it.

free hold condos (hume park, southhaven) in bukit timah went for that kind of price just 1.5 years ago...

if you guys has missed the boat , then just have to wait for the next slum to buy a affordable and value-for-money condo.
Rather than jump onto the overheated property market....

For geylang freehold,...unless it drops below $500k then i'll consider.

verbatin
05-07-07, 22:47
I think Sim Dorado (spelling?) located at Lor 39 is going to TOP soon. Geylang price has recently started to creep up. it's kinda difficult to find a apt below $500k unless u buy Apt that does not have pools (only Pte car park). Apt (no pools) asking price around $440-500 psf.

You also have The Midas (lor 30) TOP soon. But that's is nearer to the red light district and bank normally only grant 50-60% loan the most. and note local bank doesnt not do Lor 30.

Personally I prefer Freehold Apt located along Geylang Lor 35 and above as they are nearer to the future circle line. With Paya lebar designated as the 2nd CBD (most pple will want to stay near their work pace), and coupled with the upcoming Kallang Sports hub completing in 4-5year's time and its proximity to IR and the many nice food at Geylang, i see potential in area located along Geylang Lor 35 and above.

My wife doesnt like Geylang due to bad publicity in the papers.
one of the night i bought her to walk around Lor 37-40. after walking thr, she told me its not a bad place.

---

Can anyone please kindly let me know which properties around the greater Geylang, Paya Lebar, Aljunied, Eunos & Kembagan areas are going to "TOP" soon or just "TOP"? I am very keen to buy a small unit there to rent out. I would like to get a small apartment that is near to an MRT station costing around S$500K only (CPF funds, don't wish to take a bank loan). I am glad to come across this thread. Thanks.

Unregistered
12-07-07, 15:25

You are a little too late. There are a number of smallish developments in Kembangan & Telok Kurau going for about $700,000 to $800,000. That's your best bet. Far enough from Geylang. They can fetch rents of about $2000-$2500, so you need not come up with cash.

Unregistered
12-07-07, 15:30
What a load of rubbish...

'far enough from geylang area...'

FYI, condos on lor 27 are fetching rents of around 2500 for apts that cost around 500 - 550K. + they are right next to the mrt.

If you are looking for rental returns why buy an 800K apt and rent it @ 2500 when you can get one for 500K and rent it for the same?

spidey
13-07-07, 13:43
Upper lorongs are served by 2 MRT stations, Aljunied & Paya Lebar

Unregistered
14-07-07, 16:57
You should really look at Eunosville which is a HUDC with en Bloc potential. Right next to MRT. Last transacted price $545K.

Unregistered
17-07-07, 02:33
so far, the nicest project along geylang that i had seen is atrium residences... nice interiors with good space...

I luv Geylang...
17-07-07, 23:58
After IR, comes F1, who know we may have woorld class Geyland... Hang in there Bros and Sists...

Unregistered
09-04-08, 00:26
Not to forget that most of the properties in Geylang are freehold. And these are rented to a lot of foreign workers. I peep through some of the apartments and saw many double decker beds in the rooms. It will not be easy for the govt to revamp the area..Unless they need a very good valid reason to use that for infrastructure base on Act/Chapter xx.

housingagent
21-04-08, 21:47
Yes, Geylang has more pros than the current single con. Don't miss it!

If 7 buyers have already bought our units within 2 weeks of our launch, and their ability to secure their 80% loans, does this not imply that the potential in this district is perceptively real, and not just a dream?

Reap the economic opportunities from IR/Casino/F1 Races & Amenities!
At Geylang, that's going to be More popular than Orchard
+ Quality Freehold 3+1 Luxury Apts (with 3 bath-attached +1) only minutes away from these actions.
+ Near ECP, PIE & popular Schools
+ Developer Sale, High Rental Yield at Geylang @only 5XXpsf!
+ Fast take-up rate. Only 7 units left!
+ 80% loan
+ Act now!

Call Pierre @ 90018710

housingagent
21-04-08, 23:13
After realizing the potential in Geylang, i am going to sell my The Sail and St Regis and focus all my energy, time and money in Geylang. That is where the true potential is. Based on what i get back from my sale, profit should be roughly 4 million. 4 million how many units can i buy in geylang? I need daredevil to advise me.

I have the following units on Sale by Developer. Launched only 2 weeks ago, and 50% already sold!

At Geylang that's going to be More popular than Orchard

+ Quality Freehold 3+1 Luxury Apts (3 bath-attached +1) only minutes away from these actions.
+ TOP very soon!
+ 80% loan
+ Act now!

Call Pierre @ 90018710

housingagent
21-04-08, 23:14
Hi Daredevil,

Thanks

I have the following units on Sale by Developer. Launched only 2 weeks ago, and 50% already sold!

+ Quality Freehold 3+1 Luxury Apts (3 bath-attached +1) only minutes away from these actions.
+ TOP very soon!
+ 80% loan
+ Act now!

Call Pierre @ 90018710

housingagent
21-04-08, 23:16
Hey Daredevil!

Dont listen to the nay sayers, ive picked up a unit next to the Aljunied MRT and am loving the proximity to town, not to mention the great condo. Again, i bought it to stay for a few years and then rent out when i leave. The yields are excellent and the flats are big, contrary to what others are saying, there are plenty of different people who are renting out units there - not just the pros.

If the government cleans up then great, im rich! Im, not really in any rush & in 10 years, ill be amazed if they still keep the low rise geylang model of rundown shophouses given that the plot ratios in that area are 3 - 4! Check it out on the URA....

Think of it this way, when the government is putting up 50 story condos all over the island EXCEPT for geylang, ull be swimming about in ure pool with a low density lay out of only 8 stories... ;>

If not, no problem; still collecting good rental...

p.s. take it from someone who has lived in rough cities, the area aint that bad, just go to other countries like the US, UK, France etc... and then tell me if you think that Geylang is 'rough, a den of gambling and gangsters....' ;>

In fact, im off to buy another, buy 2 get one free!

Cheers!

+ TOP very soon!
+ 80% loan
+ Act now!

Call Pierre @ 90018710

housingagent
21-04-08, 23:17
Amazing! I am surprised that investors hadn't picked up on this clue. I will go check it out.

+ TOP very soon!
+ 80% loan
+ Act now!

Call Pierre @ 90018710

housingagent
21-04-08, 23:26

+ TOP very soon!
+ 80% loan
+ Act now!

Call Pierre @ 90018710

housingagent
21-04-08, 23:27
Even if red light is not moved out of Geylang, the good rental yield (since price are cheap) would still make geylang a good investment.

of course u may face prblm shd u want to sell in future (as bank are generally unwilling to grant loan) but as long as plan to keep it to collect rental income i think it is a worthwhile investment

+ TOP very soon!
+ 80% loan
+ Act now!

Call Pierre @ 90018710

housingagent
21-04-08, 23:29
Thanks Dareevil

Do u know there is any Apt worth buying in Lor 26-30? I starting to take a look at Geylang and am not sure but i though FH Apartment may have a higher rental yield right due to lower maintenance fee incurred by Condo
--------

+ TOP very soon!
+ 80% loan
+ Act now!

Call Pierre @ 90018710

housingagent
21-04-08, 23:30
yap i am keen on renting out for the yield
not looking at capital gain

+ TOP very soon!
+ 80% loan
+ Act now!

Call Pierre @ 90018710

housingagent
21-04-08, 23:31

+ TOP very soon!
+ 80% loan
+ Act now!

Call Pierre @ 90018710

lao hero tio jackpot liao
08-05-08, 14:03
LOL

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/singaporeseen/viewContent.jsp?id=21946

What Bugs Me
Posted on 08 May, 2008 12:16

Rampant comeback of sexual massage parlours in S'pore

(Photo illustration used)

After noticing that sexual massage parlours are returning in greater numbers despite a crackdown two years ago, Hero sent in this contribution in an effort to raise awareness against them.

Said the STOMPer in an email:

"I am very disturbed with the rampant comeback of massage parlours in Singapore.

"Despite the crackdown on the massage parlours about two years ago, many of these seedy joints are returning in much greater numbers. They have even penetrated neighbourhoods and shopping centres.

"Many of these joints offer commercial sex. They avoid being raided by the law by disguising themselves as beauty salons or spas.

"Let me give you a few examples.

"1. Beauty Salons
Many of such establishments offer "facial" treatments, but 99 per cent of their clientele are men, and they have few women customers. You can see a lot of these joints in Bencoolen, Duxton, Chinatown, Tanjong Pagar and CBD areas where the so-called facial treatment therapists would put on sexy outfits and give out pamphlets to men. They ignore the women.

"At these places, the "therapists" would give a "facial" treatments before asking their male customers if they would like to have the "full service". From the layout of such units, no one would suspect that seedy activities are being carried out there. They all look like genuine ladies' spa or facial treatment outlets.

"At one massage parlour in Balestier Road, the ladies wear sexy cheongsums and provide commercial sex (sometimes, at the customer's request, without any condom or protection at all). Some of the girls there are not Permanent Residents but are on social visit passes.

"2. False-front shops providing soapy massage
Currently, there are many such joints mushrooming in Singapore where "soapy massage" is provided. Many of these units are hidden. You would think they are just another normal office (except that they are closed every day, at all times). To make these joints discreet, the owners do not even put up the shop's name or advertise its services.

"There are many such joints in the Tanjong Katong and Katong areas. These shops do not list their exact location in papers. Usually, customers would call to make appointment. They would be asked to arrive at a specific location at the appointed time. Once the customer reaches the destination, he would call the joint again. The shop's owner would ask the caller to go to a specific unit (not the exact location for the soapy massage), and would ask him to describe what kind of clothes he is wearing.

"The owner would then observe the customer from a spot and upon confirmation of his identity, will bring the customer to another unit (usually nearby) for the soapy massage.

"In the shop, the customer would have the choice of selecting a girl, usually out of a pool of 6-8 ladies for the one hour soapy massage. The price for the session is $140. It would cost $260 if the customer wants to have a "3P session", that is, with two ladies serving him.

"I'm very concerned with these soapy massage joints because they could lead to the widespread of Sexually Transmitted Disease (STDs) or worse HIV-Aids. During the soapy massage, both the customer and the lady would be naked and engaged in soapy bath where there is very close contact of the bodies. During the process, sex would be carried out.

"Due to competition among the girls (because the customer would only choose one out of 6-8 ladies), the lady would go to any means to please the customer, including unprotected sex.

"As one can see, there is a big danger of STDs and HIV-Aids being passed around easily. To make it worse, the girls employed are on short temporary stay in Singapore (on social visit passes). They are not screened for health check at all!

"Worst, as many of the joints are located in shopping centres; they are very easily accessible by even teenage boys. Many young boys are seen visiting these joints and the pimps would never bother to turn these under-aged teens away.

"Many of the girls employed at these soapy massage joints do free-lance work as well. They would provide commercial sex to customers at hotels. Again, many of these sexual activities are carried out without any protection."

So what do you STOMPers think?

laukwaybu
16-05-08, 02:17
RENTS GO UP, SHOPS MOVE
By Hedy Khoo
May 12, 2008

FORGET the red-light district.

The way rents are going, Geylang is now the red-hot district.

The demand for properties between Lorong 1 and 25 is so hot that rents have shot up, and some long-time businesses are being forced to move out.

One such casualty is the famous Tanjong Rhu Pau.

It had to give up its lease for its Lorong 21 corner unit because the landlord more than tripled the monthly rent, from $9,000 to $30,000.

Said the boss of Tanjong Rhu Pau, Mr Yap Peng Wah, 62: 'We had to move. We had no choice.'

The increase meant an additional monthly expenditure of $21,000 on the 1,600 sq ft unit.

'We would not be able to sustain our business with such high overheads,' said Mr Yap.

He explained that his manpower costs are high as he has to employ more than 10 employees to make the buns and pastries by hand.

'Even with a rent between $10,000 and $20,000, the business would not be profitable,' he added.

So Mr Yap moved to another 1,600-sq-ft unit, at the corner of Guillemard Road and Lorong 34.

His rent there? Just $4,500.

'The rent here is half of what I paid previously, but business has dipped by about 30 per cent,' he said.

'Some of our old customers happen to drive by here and spot us. Most say they were wondering where we had moved to.

'The only good thing is this part of Geylang is less complicated.'

MISTAKEN FOR PROSTITUTES

His partner, Mr Lee Kwang Hua, 52, said: 'At our previous location, we lost some female customers, because they complained that some men mistook them for prostitutes when they come to our shop.'

Still, Mr Yap had hoped to relocate within the same part of Geylang initially.

'It was impossible to find a unit in the same area because the prices kept climbing,' he said.

'It's a landlord's market there because many businessmen want to open coffeeshops in the stretch between Lorongs 6 and 25.'

Mr Yap attributes the property boom along this stretch partly to the active night life.

'The general property boom did push up the property prices, but here in Geylang it is also because of the presence of the women,' he said.

'A lot of businesses want to open coffeeshops here because there is so much human traffic. The retirees come from all over Singapore to look at the girls and hang out at the coffeeshops.

'Without them, the coffee-shop businesses would collapse,' he commented.

He cited the example of a coffee shop on Lorong 23.

'Between 1997 and 1999, the coffee shop changed ownership because the business was poor,' he said.

'But once the China girls appeared in the area around 2000, all the men came, and now the business there is booming.'

Yong He Eating House, a favourite haunt among foodies, also had to move out because of the sky-rocketing rent.

The eatery, which has been selling its Taiwanese soya beancurd and youtiao in Geylang for the last decade, moved to a Lorong 27A corner unit in January.

$20,000 TO $40,000

Mr Dong Rong, 50, the boss of the eatery, said his landlord at the original location near Lorong 9 had wanted to double the rent from $20,000 to $40,000. The lease for the 2,200 sq ft unit expired last December.

He now pays $28,000 a month for a 3,600 sq ft unit.

'The property market boom is the main reason, but the China girls also played a part in driving up business in the area,' he said in Mandarin.

'There was a scramble to open coffee shops to catch the business from the men who come to Geylang to look at the girls and chat them up.

'It doesn't cost much to drink a coffee or have a beer and they can sit there all day to look at the girls and make friends with them.'

But while the coffee shops thrived on the constant flow of business from male customers who flock to Geylang to gawk at the prostitutes, it did little to boost his business.

He said: 'Our customer base is different, we attract locals and tourists who come here for our Taiwanese snacks.'

PARKING PROBLEM

Indeed, he felt the volume of traffic in this part of Geylang was not too good for his business.

'Too many cars, and there is always a traffic jam. Many of our customers complained that they could not find parking in the area, so they would stay away,' he said.

He finds his new location better, as parking is less of a problem for customers.

The bigger space also suits his plan to expand his eatery into a Taiwanese food court.

'The increased rent was a blessing in disguise for us,' said Mr Dong.

'But other tenants who are still located in that stretch may have to move when their current leases expire.'

On the other side of Geylang, business tenants have not been spared the rising rents hitting the popular stretch of Geylang Road.

Near Lorong 21, along Sims Avenue, durian seller You Chee, 37, said his boss, who renewed the lease in January, is now paying $10,000 a month for the corner ground-floor shophouse.

That is almost double the previous rate of $6,000 a month.

Mr You said his boss is looking for another location, possibly out of Geylang.

'We have no choice but to move. The rent is too high. We have seen many of the other businesses move out because of the increased rent,' he said in Mandarin.

'We have been here for four years, and built up the business from scratch. I feel sad to leave this place.'

PptyHunt
16-05-08, 03:06
Went to survey the area about a week ago and did not like the traffic there, both human and vehicle.
More beneficial for shops but for staying... still prefer some where more serene.
More suitable for investment & rental yield.

Penthouse Fan
21-05-08, 00:51
Was considering Geylang due to the close proximity to town, but after reading through the comments here, opt out of the idea. Dun think capital gain would be substantial.

I can only afford CCB
21-05-08, 01:55
People talking about GCB... I now only can buy CCB in Geylang.. sigh....

PptyHunt
24-05-08, 17:41
Refer to URA transaction:
REGAL 35 (javascript:popUp('submitSISV.do?project_name=REGAL%2035&street_name=LORONG%2035%20GEYLANG&property_type_code=04');)LORONG 35 GEYLANGApartment590,0001,808326Apr-08

Freehold at 326psf.
Really reasonable. Anyone willing to let go at similar price. Let me know.
[email protected]

Sniper
30-05-08, 17:44
Wow, for those who have bought more than $600 psf in Geylang, good luck to u :-)

Unregistered12
31-05-08, 12:59
Wow, for those who have bought more than $600 psf in Geylang, good luck to u :-)

Really? is that because as soon as kallang and paya lebar are up and running the price will drop to 300 psf? People like you amaze me. Please let me know ure rational, do you think that if they develop kallang and PL they are going to leave 1 km of high density prostitution and gambling etc...

Unregistered123
04-06-08, 20:23

$600 psf get you a kim tian hdb flat??...compared to freehold condo at geylng with potential for development (near to IR, new sport hub, F1 track, new business district).

Unregistered14
04-06-08, 20:29
I have been looking for condos at West (eg Infinity, Monterrey park), but was put off by the air quality (from the nearby factories). At least Geylang doesn't suffer poor air quality... I guest it's easier to remove pros than factories.

Unregistered11
04-06-08, 22:41
I have been looking for condos at West (eg Infinity, Monterrey park), but was put off by the air quality (from the nearby factories). At least Geylang doesn't suffer poor air quality... I guest it's easier to remove pros than factories.

Geylang suffers from disease!

Unregistered11
04-06-08, 22:45
$600 psf get you a kim tian hdb flat??...compared to freehold condo at geylng with potential for development (near to IR, new sport hub, F1 track, new business district).

nowadays everyone says their districts near to IR, new sport hub, F1 track, new business district ... hahaha ...and in Geylang, when they step out of their so-called prime properties, only pimp and china pros will greet them. To top it all, Geylang is more like a retirement district .. a lot of ah peks hanging around!

Unregistered14
06-06-08, 10:10
nowadays everyone says their districts near to IR, new sport hub, F1 track, new business district ... hahaha ...and in Geylang, when they step out of their so-called prime properties, only pimp and china pros will greet them. To top it all, Geylang is more like a retirement district .. a lot of ah peks hanging around!

Location won't run away...the few remaining places to develop when population hits 6.5 mil...jurong lake district might have limited potential as it is still far from central...kallang/geylang/payar lebar district would be near to all the excitements...so surely ura won't "waste" this goldmine in near future for the rots.

Unregistered13
06-06-08, 12:58
Totally agree. Give it 3 years...

D12
06-06-08, 13:48
If you guys want more safer and faster investment profit, top up a bit more and look for property in D12.
There are still a lot of undervalued condo there.

D14
06-06-08, 18:45
Might be a safer investment but the upside for Geylang is much higher, buy low sell high ;>

time will tell...

Unregistered 123
11-06-08, 18:30
I passed by Atrium yesterday, it looks almost built and it's really nice..the best condo along the stretch of geylang. I'm checking out advertisement but for past two weeks, there is no seller on this property. Is any one selling?

Subsale
13-06-08, 19:35
I passed by Atrium yesterday, it looks almost built and it's really nice..the best condo along the stretch of geylang. I'm checking out advertisement but for past two weeks, there is no seller on this property. Is any one selling?

Yah, got subsale and quite low psf too....but I gave up cos Geylang will always be a red light district....plus local banks won't loan up to 90% for below Lorong 30....so just beware....

Subsale
13-06-08, 19:37
Might be a safer investment but the upside for Geylang is much higher, buy low sell high ;>

time will tell...

Rental yields will definitely be good if u can squeeze a bunch of banglahs or dalu meis in your unit. Capital appreciation will follow becuase of the rental yields...but won't be as much....

istari
15-06-08, 11:15
Anyone know when this condo will be completed. 6 months? 12 months? It looks really nice but I heard prices have risen from S$350 psf to around S$600 psf in the last couple of years. IS this true???

rayaw
16-06-08, 01:01
Nonsenses

Please see the site

http://www.nationproperty.sg/

Choose the Atrium Residences.

You will see some are 3XX and some are 6XX

Reasons being the larger unit has big PES and balcony and small unit do not have.

Wake up.

Loan only possible from Finance Bank not the Big 4 and only loan you for 70%.

BUT.......... Good for Rental income.

If all Chicken fly esle where such as Kranji. BOOM, property will shoot up 100%.

Come true? Wait Long Long.

Unless they build muti-story CHicken Farm in Kranji.

:tongue3:

Unregistered 456
16-06-08, 15:54
Anyone know when this condo will be completed. 6 months? 12 months? It looks really nice but I heard prices have risen from S$350 psf to around S$600 psf in the last couple of years. IS this true???

The S$350 psf is the initial penhouse price at launch in 2006...avg sq ft is 2000sqft...so avg price was S$700k...not bad for freehold property...now probably selling at S$550 psf....still cheaper than most penthouse with 99 yrs around that area...and Cosmo is selling >1000 sqft (even nearer to red district)...

well, like what URA says, it would take another 5 years for the price to appreciate further once the masterplan 2008 is announced...It looks like atrium will complete in 6 mths..anyway, those bought at low, congrats.

Unregistered14
16-06-08, 18:06
The building seems almost ready, but not sure it completes within 6 months. Outside this building, the shop houses look ready.

Only a small number of "ladies" are standing at the road at Lor28, in dark areas between parked cars, at certain time at night (probably after 10pm) but confined at a small area. I think they are illegal, soliciting business on passing-by cars. Otherwise, the street is quite clean.

District
16-06-08, 18:15
Nonsenses

Please see the site

Reasons being the larger unit has big PES and balcony and small unit do not have.

Wake up.

If all Chicken fly esle where such as Kranji. BOOM, property will shoot up 100%.

What so difficult to clean up that area. Only just a handful of chicken there mah...because now the street is dark due to construction

....once the building ready, the building will light up the street, the chicken will sure go away....not enough... local residents protest, frequent police reporting, or shaming the cars talking to checken and post in internet (with pics on car plates)...sure effective..ha, ha

Unregistered 0325
18-06-08, 21:29
I bought a unit at Atrium in '06 from developer. Not too concerned about the stigma - reality is the prostitution problem is now everywhere. Impt is I like the project and I got a FH property at a really affordable price - and I can move to a more central location. I saw some discussion on Internet about difficulty obtaining loan for properties in Geylang. My personal experience is actually not bad - obtained loan from 3 Banks, 80% at their promotional rates, finally decided on Maybank. So best to check it out yourself.

Fellow Atrium owners out there, if you have news on when the project will TOP, please share. I drove by last week, the facade is almost complete but Novelty is known to take their own sweet time with internal finishing.

Cheers

Unregistered888
24-06-08, 22:37
GUILLEMARD???

Another Unregistered
06-07-08, 00:27
There are pretty decent condos in the Geylang area: Simsville, Sims Residences, Aston Mansion, Central Grove, The Alcove. Because of the bad image of Geylang, these places are all affected by the negative perception - although they are away from the main Red Light district (under Lor 20)

It will be interesting to see what happens when the Master Pan 2008 is revealed. In the meantime, looks like from the response I am seeing in this thread, the negative Geylang perception still rules...

You are wrong. There are many china pros staying in Alcove and Central Grove. In the latter, many of them come here on student pass and moonlight as pros. Anyway the Master Plan 2008 has come out

rayaw
06-07-08, 10:14
Are you always contacting the pro.

How is their service. you must be shiok?

Cannot be helped
06-07-08, 21:49
You come to Geylang, you come to the home of the pros

Sad Dick
06-07-08, 22:18
Ya, got potential.
In line with the legalisation of homosexuality, also suggest that Geylang be developed into a real Gay World for the people. Change the name to Gayland. hehe.

Please don't insult the gays :(

Unregistered2
07-07-08, 08:55
I bought a unit at Atrium in '06 from developer. Not too concerned about the stigma - reality is the prostitution problem is now everywhere. Impt is I like the project and I got a FH property at a really affordable price - and I can move to a more central location. I saw some discussion on Internet about difficulty obtaining loan for properties in Geylang. My personal experience is actually not bad - obtained loan from 3 Banks, 80% at their promotional rates, finally decided on Maybank. So best to check it out yourself.

Fellow Atrium owners out there, if you have news on when the project will TOP, please share. I drove by last week, the facade is almost complete but Novelty is known to take their own sweet time with internal finishing.

Cheers

with soaring fuel prices, agree that moving to a central location is a good move. save you a lot of time and time is precious.

Unregistered4444
08-07-08, 17:20
I won't be surprised that some of the owners will rent out their units to China students or freelancers. It's either you like it or hate it....they may become your neighbours next door...kekeke

One cent one quality
08-07-08, 17:30
One cent one quality. You pay low, u won't fetch back too high. It will go up, but by that time, all other districts are already much higher. Pay peanuts get monkey. Wake up.

Subsale
08-07-08, 17:32
Really? is that because as soon as kallang and paya lebar are up and running the price will drop to 300 psf? People like you amaze me. Please let me know ure rational, do you think that if they develop kallang and PL they are going to leave 1 km of high density prostitution and gambling etc...

If u bought at 300 psf, well I dun think u hv too much to complain abt. But at above 600 psf...u gotta pray real hard for miracle to make it reach 900psf!!!!

One Unregistered
08-07-08, 17:43
If u bought at 300 psf, well I dun think u hv too much to complain abt. But at above 600 psf...u gotta pray real hard for miracle to make it reach 900psf!!!!

How much psf for China mei mei hole? :D

No brains
09-07-08, 20:00
Nonsenses

Please see the site

Wake up.

Multi story chicken farm is so cool :tongue2: :tongue1: :tongue4:

Mosen
10-07-08, 22:12
GUILLEMARD???

Wait all the students become chickens then how? :tongue1: :tongue2:

Unregistered007
11-07-08, 09:17
Wait all the students become chickens then how? :tongue1: :tongue2:
if you are so kiasi, then don't invest in anything.

Jos
11-07-08, 11:32
if you are so kiasi, then don't invest in anything.

Can invest in chickens?

Unregistered007
11-07-08, 11:52
Can invest in chickens?
if you like

China mei mei
16-07-08, 19:08
Welcome to Geylang.

Observers
17-07-08, 21:46
I think this whole thread is populated by Dakota residents :doh:

China mei mei
21-07-08, 19:08
I think this whole thread is populated by Dakota residents :doh:

Don't forget about us china mei mei. In future when TOP then we move over to Dakota. Too bad got no tennis court. :(

芽笼小姐
27-07-08, 15:14
Dakota的买者,我们芽笼小姐最近,因为警察管的太严,就推出了新的服务.
现在我们有上门吹箫服务.凡是消费一百新元以上我们可上门服务.
反正就是靠近芽笼的公寓和政府租屋之内,我们都会上门的.
一百元的服务基本上是包括吹箫和打洞,时间是一个钟头内.
请你们多多支持!

27-07-08, 20:55
Dakota的买者,我们芽笼小姐最近,因为警察管的太严,就推出了新的服务.
现在我们有上门吹箫服务.凡是消费一百新元以上我们可上门服务.
反正就是靠近芽笼的公寓和政府租屋之内,我们都会上门的.
一百元的服务基本上是包括吹箫和打洞,时间是一个钟头内.
请你们多多支持!
Yah, geylang area, dakota area good to rent out to prostitutes only.
BTW Private housing market colleapsing very soon, by end year prices will go down by at least 30%, why buy anything now?

UnregĄstered
28-07-08, 12:46
Yah, geylang area, dakota area good to rent out to prostitutes only.
BTW Private housing market colleapsing very soon, by end year prices will go down by at least 30%, why buy anything now?
You say going down by 30%.
They say going up by 30%.
All talking cock here cos' talk cock is free.

^^
29-07-08, 15:06
just wondering how many here already bought a unit in Geylang. is it worth the buy since geylang is in fact under the central region?

Unregistered777
30-07-08, 20:19
geylang is definitely worth buying for those that make chicken hunting their lifestyle.

just wondering how many here already bought a unit in Geylang. is it worth the buy since geylang is in fact under the central region?

Geylang lover
30-07-08, 22:47
I just bought a unit at Atrium. Good news is that Dakota station is just about 350m away

Geylang lover
31-07-08, 00:11
what are the future delevopment on this master plan 2008 at around atrium? Please zoom in to lor 28 and lor 30. http://www.ura.gov.sg/dmp08/map.jsf?goToRegion=SIN

Unregistered80
31-07-08, 00:12
happy chicken hunting
I just bought a unit at Atrium. Good news is that Dakota station is just about 350m away

Unregistered777
31-07-08, 08:19
what's the psf for Atrium? is it below $600 psf?

Unregistered stack 07
31-07-08, 21:13
what are the future delevopment on this master plan 2008 at around atrium? Please zoom in to lor 28 and lor 30. http://www.ura.gov.sg/dmp08/map.jsf?goToRegion=SIN
Guess wats coming up beside dakota station?
UUUUUUUUUU

Geylang lover
31-07-08, 23:21
what's the psf for Atrium? is it below $600 psf?
I bought it at $570psf

Unregistered123
01-08-08, 00:07
I bought it at $570psf

It may fall to $470psf soon

Wow
01-08-08, 22:14

Hi,

I am a 2 room 807 unit for selling. Please message me if you wan to consider to buy it. Price are relatively attractive for a freehold unit there.

wow
01-08-08, 22:19
Hi,

I am a 2 room 807 unit for selling. Please message me if you wan to consider to buy it. Price are relatively attractive for a freehold unit there.

I mean I have a 2 bedroom 807 sqft unit for sale

Investor1
02-08-08, 00:14
I mean I have a 2 bedroom 807 sqft unit for sale

$400k I buy

Investor1
02-08-08, 00:15
Guess wats coming up beside dakota station?
UUUUUUUUUU

Is that neh neh coming up? :duh:

Yup
03-08-08, 22:42
$400k I buy
Yeh, then please look for a HDB flat. Thanks!

questions
03-08-08, 22:50
Hi,

how much for psf? location?

Geylang Chicken Hunter
04-08-08, 11:44
hello, don't underestimate HDB flat. A HDB flat in any non-red light area is anytime better than Geylang Condo...

Yeh, then please look for a HDB flat. Thanks!

Wow
04-08-08, 18:25
how much for psf? location?
Hi, It is at geylang lorong 30 and psf is 700. Please pm me if you are interested.

AK47
09-08-08, 10:29
Lorong 28, 30 is still within the red-light district.

There are many chicken houses, especially in Lor 28.

But i like Geylang long term potential. Perhaps Lorong 38, 39, 40, 41 projects are better buys as they are nearer to both PL and Dokota station, not to mention the new business centre. There's also the Geylang river cutting across.

They may come a day the goverment segment Geylang into 2 zones, New and Old Geylang, chicken activities will be contained at the lower even lorong and that allow development in the other higher lorongs.

The border drawn will either be the main road Lorong 22 or Lorong 24A where residential/institution meets residential zone.

Local Ah Pek
09-08-08, 14:06
Fat hope. Geylang is still geylang. If you buy a house in the red light district, no need to split hairs and say this is better part of geylang and this is lousier part of geylang. You think china mei mei know how to differentiate ah? These cute chickens dunno what is artificial partitioning ok? Goodness gracious me... go buy a better location lah :doh:

But i like Geylang long term potential. Perhaps Lorong 38, 39, 40, 41 projects are better buys as they are nearer to both PL and Dokota station, not to mention the new business centre. There's also the Geylang river cutting across.

They may come a day the goverment segment Geylang into 2 zones, New and Old Geylang, chicken activities will be contained at the lower even lorong and that allow development in the other higher lorongs.

The border drawn will either be the main road Lorong 22 or Lorong 24A where residential/institution meets residential zone.

Uni
09-08-08, 14:21
You're living in Mars issit? The recent appeals to the MPs all come from Lorongs 40 and above! There is a coffee shop there full of prostitutes. The residents have to fork out their own money to "brighten" the streets as there're so many activities along their backyard. Geylang is Geylang. If you don't like vice, then don't buy the area.

BENTLY
12-08-08, 10:35
You're living in Mars issit? The recent appeals to the MPs all come from Lorongs 40 and above! There is a coffee shop there full of prostitutes. The residents have to fork out their own money to "brighten" the streets as there're so many activities along their backyard. Geylang is Geylang. If you don't like vice, then don't buy the area.

U r right my frend...........take away these activities,,,,,,,,,,,,not geylang anymore......................

Dakota is crap
14-08-08, 00:00
What happened to those koyok selling dakota agents like AgentKhoo and AgentKoh? :tongue1: :tongue2:

14-08-08, 01:46
I bought a unit on the south stack. i.e Stack #17,18,23,21,3,4. Went to the building site one day to look. Standing at the end of the condo block past the security post (Lor 28 side), I can't help but see a solid wall all the way up to the top storey.

Anyone can shed a light as to whether views to the south is possible from windows facing south. Doesn't seem so to me. Can't even see the aircon ledges on the south side. How will the aircon compressors' hot air ventilate?

Sad sack
14-08-08, 07:07
What happened to those koyok selling dakota agents like AgentKhoo and AgentKoh? :tongue1: :tongue2:

Boo hoo hoo... silly me... go and buy dakota.... ptui :(

Unregistered 14
14-08-08, 19:48
I bought a unit on the south stack. i.e Stack #17,18,23,21,3,4. Went to the building site one day to look. Standing at the end of the condo block past the security post (Lor 28 side), I can't help but see a solid wall all the way up to the top storey.

Anyone can shed a light as to whether views to the south is possible from windows facing south. Doesn't seem so to me. Can't even see the aircon ledges on the south side. How will the aircon compressors' hot air ventilate?

I think the common bedrooms windows are facing each other, same as aircon ledges, and the only fresh air come from the windows facing pool. I don't think you can see any view facing south unless you have the penthouse roof terrace. The only plus point is avoidance of west sun.

Unregistered 123
14-08-08, 19:58

Yes, those at Lor 38-41 are priced 30-40% higher too. And Lor 28 is a short street out to the main road, and the chicks along the road are hidden behind the cars in the dark. And the chick houses there are pretty old, so might be gone in ten years time. Let's see how the developmet goes in this street, once IR and New stadium are ready in 2-3 years time...

Wow
14-08-08, 22:12
Hi,

I have a 2 rbedroom 807sqft unit for selling. Please message me if you wan to consider to buy it. Price are relatively attractive for a freehold unit there.

Singapore Ah Pek
14-08-08, 23:53
Hi,

I have a 2 rbedroom 807sqft unit for selling. Please message me if you wan to consider to buy it. Price are relatively attractive for a freehold unit there.

I give a serious offer of $460k.

15-08-08, 01:56
I think the common bedrooms windows are facing each other, same as aircon ledges, and the only fresh air come from the windows facing pool. I don't think you can see any view facing south unless you have the penthouse roof terrace. The only plus point is avoidance of west sun.

Thanks Unregistered 14. Yah I am disappointed about the wall. My kitchen window will face a wall and I think if I open it, the hot air from the aircon compressors will come into the flat. So salah! :(

Wow
15-08-08, 22:04
I give a serious offer of $460k.
I am looking at abt 580K. if you are interested, please pm me. Thks!

Unregistered123
16-08-08, 22:40
Which devt you guys talking about?

Mopiko
17-08-08, 08:39
Being reading the other threads. Is De Royale near Geylang?

No lah
17-08-08, 08:44
Being reading the other threads. Is De Royale near Geylang?

No. It is in Balestier. There are some china mei meis working in the KTVs and mistresses staying there.

istari
20-08-08, 12:02
Hi all,

I have a 3 bedroom penthouse suite for sale. Unit number #08-12 on Lorong 30 side. 1,991sq ft. Asking price is S$550 psf.

Any interested please reply to this thread.

Thnks.

istari
24-08-08, 20:06
No, i am the owner. I bought in a subsale 2 years ago.

TOP should be the end of this year.

Please don't respond with idiotic vulgarities. Use what little brain you have. be grown up.

Please reply if interested.

Thanks.

Kong chio
24-08-08, 22:05
No, i am the owner. I bought in a subsale 2 years ago.

TOP should be the end of this year.

Please don't respond with idiotic vulgarities. Use what little brain you have. be grown up.

Please reply if interested.

Thanks.

Seow ah.... how can you buy dakota 2 years ago? You ok or not?

istari
25-08-08, 22:09
I never said i bought at Dakota.

If you can read, why dont you read my original message? I want to sell my penthouse unit at the Atrium Residences on Lorong 28 Geylang. It a 3 bedroom penthouse with roof terrace - 1991 sg ft.

Now please does anyone have anything sensible to say? Or is this forum full of idiots?

Geylang OKT
25-08-08, 22:32
Can rent? I offer 4k

If you can read, why dont you read my original message? I want to sell my penthouse unit at the Atrium Residences on Lorong 28 Geylang. It a 3 bedroom penthouse with roof terrace - 1991 sg ft.

Now please does anyone have anything sensible to say? Or is this forum full of idiots?

TH KTV.
26-08-08, 00:10

I want to rent for 6K. But i have these few requirements.

The living area, i will knock down all the walls and spilt into 10 rooms using partition for walk-in customers to use. The roof top, i will leave it as open area for China Orgy parties.

If you have no objection, please draft up a contract for me, thank you.

Geylang OKT
26-08-08, 09:15
I want to rent for 6K. But i have these few requirements.

The living area, i will knock down all the walls and spilt into 10 rooms using partition for walk-in customers to use. The roof top, i will leave it as open area for China Orgy parties.

If you have no objection, please draft up a contract for me, thank you.

If I rent for 4k, I promise to not have more than 18 china mei mei in the unit. 6 mei mei to 1 room. If you are ok, my team will draft up the TA for you.

Us OKTs nowadays very sophisticated. :D

Geylang OKT
26-08-08, 09:17
If I rent for 4k, I promise to not have more than 18 china mei mei in the unit. 6 mei mei to 1 room. If you are ok, my team will draft up the TA for you.

ps - They will only use the unit for sleeping. No commercial activities at all.

8:::o chicken okt o:::8
27-08-08, 00:32
u shud get drowned in a river

Geylang OKT
27-08-08, 07:13
So are you ok with the terms and conditions? :D

u shud get drowned in a river

8:::::::o
27-08-08, 10:46
so u got too much semen in ur brain izzit?
So are you ok with the terms and conditions? :D

Geylang OKT
27-08-08, 11:12
so u got too much semen in ur brain izzit?

I don't know how you are wired, but most of us here shoot from the groin region.

Please contact my runners if you are keen to rent for 4k. Drop by Lor 16 house xx for more discussions. Numbers not appropriate to display here. Look for Ah Tai.

Geylang lover
01-09-08, 15:29
I went inside the atrium site and saw the swimming pool wow very nice length for a small project. Cannot wait to move in :)

istari
01-09-08, 22:52
Thanks for the sensible comment. I've been inside too. It's impressive. I heard the novelty group are well known for good interior fittings too.

Any ideas when the TOP will be?

Unregistered007
01-09-08, 23:12
I went inside the atrium site and saw the swimming pool wow very nice length for a small project. Cannot wait to move in :)
Projects a classy look, would expect it to stand out among condos in Geylang area. TOP should be around Nov 08.

Geylang OKT
01-09-08, 23:59

Welcome! Welcome! My girls at Lorong 28 will give you value for money :D

TH KTV.
02-09-08, 00:04
Projects a classy look, would expect it to stand out among condos in Geylang area. TOP should be around Nov 08.
Surely stand out like Hotel 81. TH Ktv customers advise to buy atrium so that they can bring the China mei mei across the road back home to save the $10/hr rates.

China mei mei
02-09-08, 07:05
Yeah... there are many around... they don't pay and run away.

Fxxking Bastard

Geylang lover
02-09-08, 15:29
Legal T.O.P is end 2009 so NOV will stand a chance to collect keys?? Please advise.

Good advice
02-09-08, 17:06
Yeah... there are many around... they don't pay and run away.

Next time collect money first.

China mei mei
02-09-08, 23:15
Welcome to Geylang :D :D :D

Unregistered900
04-09-08, 17:52

How did you get in the atrium site while it's still under construction?

Geylang lover
04-09-08, 18:00
Just use your two legs and walk in to the site. That is what I do :D

Wahoo
04-09-08, 20:23
Just use your two legs and walk in to the site. That is what I do :D

No construction workers or security stop you? Geylang and Balestier are good value for money. Those girls are just an added bonus :D

Geylang lover
04-09-08, 20:31
No construction workers or security stop you? Geylang and Balestier are good value for money. Those girls are just an added bonus :D
My unit is facing lor 30 so I went up from the side stairway. The cupboard for toilets and kitchen had fixed up.

Gay Power
05-09-08, 08:58
Brothers of the world, UNITE! :D

Unregistered900
05-09-08, 10:51
My unit is facing lor 30 so I went up from the side stairway. The cupboard for toilets and kitchen had fixed up.

Great. Looks like the place is going to TOP soon, any idea when?

Geylang OKT
05-09-08, 11:33
Great! I will round up my girls and celebrate together with the new residents! :D

Unregistered1234
06-09-08, 11:29
Geylang OKT, u dont have any girls... thats why u have to go to Geylang to get laid!! lol

07-09-08, 11:27
Anyone has idea how long is the pool?

Unregistered007
07-09-08, 16:07
Anyone has idea how long is the pool?
[url]

http://www.streetdirectory.com/stock_images/travel/normal_show/11939131940928/170358/atrium_residences_uc_pool_view/

Tiong Kok Por
07-09-08, 23:35
Great! I will round up my girls and celebrate together with the new residents! :D

I believe the new owners will be happily celebrating the joy for their TOP..

Well done OKT..

ghjdtyjdtyjty
08-09-08, 13:22
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing024.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Sammyboy
09-09-08, 01:53
Surely stand out like Hotel 81. TH Ktv customers advise to buy atrium so that they can bring the China mei mei across the road back home to save the $10/hr rates.

100% correct!

China mei mei
09-09-08, 07:05
Good Morning! :D

Geylang lover
11-09-08, 00:23
check a few units and found out that some units have a diff table top colour for the kitchen cupboard and the cupboard doors colour too.

11-09-08, 11:54
check a few units and found out that some units have a diff table top colour for the kitchen cupboard and the cupboard doors colour too.

You mean you were able to gain access into the units?

I can't wait for the TOP!

Geylang lover
11-09-08, 15:53
The aircon installed is Daikin inverter. I think this is a good brand.

12-09-08, 12:22
The aircon installed is Daikin inverter. I think this is a good brand.

Renowned brand but not used this brand before. At least it's an inverter type... supposed to be more energy efficient :-)

Geylang lover
22-09-08, 21:49
The wooden platform had just finished laying for the side of the swimming pool and I think that is a sanua for the both toilet. The power points switchs has began installing this week. :) I think they will start to install the hood, hob, sink, tap, shower head and door knob when the metal gate is fully up :cool:

Jason_lim
22-09-08, 23:11

Hi, I noticed alot of (7-8) Atrium units being advertised for sales and may be interested. Has it TOP?

May I ask if Lorong 28 is near the red-light area or is it further away where there are no "red-light" activities?

I have a relative staying in geylang area and went to his place once. I find the area peaceful and good location however I forgot which part of geylang its in.

Please advise on your views of the area around Lorong 28.

Thanks in advance.

Unregistered123
22-09-08, 23:34
Lor 28 side got lots of young china girls plying their trade in the evenings till late at night. You will regret buying next to a red light waiting area. Cars will pick up and drop off these hookers throughout the night.

Your wife, girlfriend or daughters will get ogled at and prepositioned every night. Only the silly folks will buy this location.

Unregistered 321
23-09-08, 11:10
Currently staying in Lor 40 and used to walk out for dinners - the upper lorongs after 24 are ok - mostly residential, places of worships - peaceful. You will find a couple of working girls walking by at times but they don't bother you. Do see some standing around at Lor 28 on some nights (we bought a unit at Atrium so drive thru' almost everyday to check out the progress) but they disappear when work is going on at the construction site and there's light.

The chaos and rowdiness we hear so much about are confined to the lower lorongs before Aljunied (Lor 22) and even that we get used to it after a short while, we see a lot more diners, families on outings & office type ppl there since last year, perhaps becos of the many eateries popping up.

We choose to stay in Geylang becos of affordability, it's proximity to town (we work in Shenton Way) and convenience (food, MRT), so we didn't let the stigma & the sight of working girls bother us. I used to stay in Upp Serangoon & Toa Payoh, I see them and I see guys drinking at coffee shops oogling at girls/women from 7 to 70 too - so it is common sight everywhere not just in Geylang.

Those of you who manage to slip into the Atrium to check out the interiors - any insider news on what it will TOP?

色狼
23-09-08, 11:52
Currently staying in Lor 40 and used to walk out for dinners - the upper lorongs after 24 are ok - mostly residential, places of worships - peaceful. You will find a couple of working girls walking by at times but they don't bother you. Do see some standing around at Lor 28 on some nights (we bought a unit at Atrium so drive thru' almost everyday to check out the progress) but they disappear when work is going on at the construction site and there's light.

The chaos and rowdiness we hear so much about are confined to the lower lorongs before Aljunied (Lor 22) and even that we get used to it after a short while, we see a lot more diners, families on outings & office type ppl there since last year, perhaps becos of the many eateries popping up.

We choose to stay in Geylang becos of affordability, it's proximity to town (we work in Shenton Way) and convenience (food, MRT), so we didn't let the stigma & the sight of working girls bother us. I used to stay in Upp Serangoon & Toa Payoh, I see them and I see guys drinking at coffee shops oogling at girls/women from 7 to 70 too - so it is common sight everywhere not just in Geylang.

Those of you who manage to slip into the Atrium to check out the interiors - any insider news on what it will TOP?

Geylang only for 色狼。

Unregistered345678
23-09-08, 14:10

Good investmt but pray hard that the units are not rented out to the foreign workers or u will farking regret!

geylang for chickens
23-09-08, 15:05
geylang is only good for chickens. Chicken rice and bonking chickens....

Geylang lover
23-09-08, 16:16

The legal TOP is end of Dec 2009. Well from the look I think it will be end of this year. Normally Legal TOP date the developer have to leave a gap earlier in case there is a delay in the project. Hope the collection of keys is maybe year end or next year Jan. This is be guess only. :cool:

Chicken lover
23-09-08, 18:54
Give me atrium anytime! I hear the china mei mei there all very young and pretty at lorong 28. Been there a few times. $100 full package. Sometimes when business slow, $80 also can :D

prostitutes forever
24-09-08, 08:14
Give me atrium anytime! I hear the china mei mei there all very young and pretty at lorong 28. Been there a few times. $100 full package. Sometimes when business slow, $80 also can :D
Walking distance to chinese street walkers flown in direct from all parts of exotic china.

24-09-08, 08:35
i also have a relative staying in lor 28 and been there several times. it is ok, especially the ones facing guillemard road (the other side of lor 28 is guillemard road).

geylang=oldman+pros
24-09-08, 08:38
i also have a relative staying in lor 28 and been there several times. it is ok, especially the ones facing guillemard road (the other side of lor 28 is guillemard road).
It is not only OK, it is great! Your relative must be Or kui tao, AKA pimp.

24-09-08, 10:08
It is not only OK, it is great! Your relative must be Or kui tao, AKA pimp.
please mind your manners. you did not go to school?