View Full Version : First-timers cheer move; others get cold feet

reporter2
08-12-11, 17:23
http://www.straitstimes.com/PrimeNews/Story/STIStory_742374.html

BUYERS SAY:

First-timers cheer move; others get cold feet

Published on Dec 8, 2011

By Esther Teo, Property Reporter

EARLY reactions to the latest round of property market measures were mixed though the consensus seems to be that home prices will moderate.

First-time Singaporean home buyers generally cheered the move, as they believe it will now be easier for them to get a foothold on the property ladder. Many have been concerned that foreign buyers, especially those purchasing mass-market homes, have been driving prices up.

But some foreigners and permanent residents (PRs) expressed disappointment at the measures, which they labelled as 'harsh'.

The hardest hit will be foreigners who are not PRs. They will be slugged with an additional 10 per cent on any home purchase, on top of the existing stamp duty of about 3 per cent.

For a foreigner buying a $1 million home, the stamp duty will jump significantly to $124,600 from $24,600.

PRs will also be slapped with a 3 per cent additional stamp duty for their second and subsequent home purchases while Singaporeans will face the same charge only for their third and subsequent buys.

Property agents say that foreign buyers are likely to put any home purchases on hold in anticipation of prices dropping as the new measures take effect.

Some agents have already reported deals falling through in the first few hours after the measures were unveiled.

PropNex chief executive Mohamed Ismail said that two of his firm's foreign clients pulled out of separate deals at Marina Bay Residences. Another backed out of a deal for an Orchard Road property.

'Although one was already at his third viewing and will be unaffected if he closed the deal by today, he saw no point because prices might drop,' he said.

Mr Ismail added that the measures did not seem to be 'well thought through' as their blanket application will adversely affect the high-end market in particular.

He suggested that the additional buyer's stamp duty be applied in a more targeted manner instead. For example, it could be applied to mass-market homes of less then $1,500 per sq ft so that the segment remained largely for Singaporean buyers, he said.

A Chinese buyer who wanted to be known only as Mr Chen said that he was surprised at how 'harsh' the new rules were. He had flown in from Shanghai last week to visit some friends but also to explore the possibility of buying a home in the prime districts of 9, 10 and 11.

He said that he would put his plans on hold until the market situation became clearer.

However, first-time Singaporean buyers and upgraders like human resource executive Germaine Lim welcomed the news, which they hope will bring prices down.

Ms Lim, 29, said: 'Hopefully, without foreigners competing with us, we can finally find something within our budget.'

teddybear
08-12-11, 19:53
Wah, 29 years old only wanting to buy private property? :doh:
Last time I wait till 35 years old to have more enough bullets & holding power. These young people are just simply too greedy! And the gahmen helping them out! :doh:
May be those >80% citizens buying Bedok Residences at average price $1350 psf consisting many of such young punks? :scared-3:
Strange strange, if so, why measure not directly target these SG citizens? Why target foreigners? :beats-me-man:

http://www.straitstimes.com/PrimeNews/Story/STIStory_742374.html

BUYERS SAY:

First-timers cheer move; others get cold feet

Published on Dec 8, 2011

By Esther Teo, Property Reporter

EARLY reactions to the latest round of property market measures were mixed though the consensus seems to be that home prices will moderate.

First-time Singaporean home buyers generally cheered the move, as they believe it will now be easier for them to get a foothold on the property ladder. Many have been concerned that foreign buyers, especially those purchasing mass-market homes, have been driving prices up.

But some foreigners and permanent residents (PRs) expressed disappointment at the measures, which they labelled as 'harsh'.

The hardest hit will be foreigners who are not PRs. They will be slugged with an additional 10 per cent on any home purchase, on top of the existing stamp duty of about 3 per cent.

For a foreigner buying a $1 million home, the stamp duty will jump significantly to $124,600 from $24,600.

PRs will also be slapped with a 3 per cent additional stamp duty for their second and subsequent home purchases while Singaporeans will face the same charge only for their third and subsequent buys.

Property agents say that foreign buyers are likely to put any home purchases on hold in anticipation of prices dropping as the new measures take effect.

Some agents have already reported deals falling through in the first few hours after the measures were unveiled.

PropNex chief executive Mohamed Ismail said that two of his firm's foreign clients pulled out of separate deals at Marina Bay Residences. Another backed out of a deal for an Orchard Road property.

'Although one was already at his third viewing and will be unaffected if he closed the deal by today, he saw no point because prices might drop,' he said.

Mr Ismail added that the measures did not seem to be 'well thought through' as their blanket application will adversely affect the high-end market in particular.

He suggested that the additional buyer's stamp duty be applied in a more targeted manner instead. For example, it could be applied to mass-market homes of less then $1,500 per sq ft so that the segment remained largely for Singaporean buyers, he said.

A Chinese buyer who wanted to be known only as Mr Chen said that he was surprised at how 'harsh' the new rules were. He had flown in from Shanghai last week to visit some friends but also to explore the possibility of buying a home in the prime districts of 9, 10 and 11.

He said that he would put his plans on hold until the market situation became clearer.

However, first-time Singaporean buyers and upgraders like human resource executive Germaine Lim welcomed the news, which they hope will bring prices down.

Ms Lim, 29, said: 'Hopefully, without foreigners competing with us, we can finally find something within our budget.'

DC33_2008
08-12-11, 19:58
The recent CM is clear. Singaporean First.

Fisherman
08-12-11, 19:58
Last time I wait till 35 years old to have more enough bullets & holding power. These young people are just simply too greedy! And the gahmen helping them out! :doh:
May be those >80% citizens buying Bedok Residences at average price $1350 psf consisting many of such young punks? :scared-3:
Strange strange, if so, why measure not directly target these SG citizens? Why target foreigners? :beats-me-man:

These are our future man. PAP in power will have to depend on them. They must be kept happy or else how can MIW continue to collect $million salaries!

ysyap
08-12-11, 20:10
The recent CM is clear. Singaporean First.The later CM is foreigners first??? :D

teddybear
08-12-11, 20:10
I have been having some thoughts - many be the CM turn out to help foreigners (even if un-intentionally)? :eek:
See, they say prices already super high, so introduce 10% buyers stamp duty to foreigners, warn them not to buy anymore, wait till crash then come.....
Singaporeans? You want to buy? Buy lah! Bedok Residences sold out 400 units within 2 days, long queue behind launch, at super peak price of average $1350 psf! Then, in the end these citizens would become slaves working till 80 years old all their life here, and they can't fly away from Singapore, not like foreigners still can leave any time they like... :beats-me-man:

If they really think price too high, and want to help & protect Citizens, they should just introduce 50% Additional Buyers Stamp duty for Citizens buying 2nd properties that are:
1) >$2m absolute figure
2) < $1m (if you are not rich enough, don't play property)!
3) Furthermore, to prevent them from too stretched, those who buy private property must sell their HDB flats within 6 months! :p

The recent CM is clear. Singaporean First.

Fisherman
08-12-11, 20:16
I have been having some thoughts - many be the CM turn out to help foreigners (even if un-intentionally)? :eek:
See, they say prices already super high, so introduce 10% buyers stamp duty to foreigners, warn them not to buy anymore, wait till crash then come.....
Singaporeans? You want to buy? Buy lah! Bedok Residences sold out 400 units within 2 days, long queue behind launch, at super peak price of average $1350 psf! Then, in the end these citizens would become slaves working till 80 years old all their life here, and they can't fly away from Singapore, not like foreigners still can leave any time they like... :beats-me-man:

If they really think price too high, and want to help & protect Citizens, they should just introduce 50% Additional Buyers Stamp duty for Citizens buying 2nd properties that are:
1) >$2m absolute figure
2) < $1m (if you are not rich enough, don't play property)!
3) Furthermore, to prevent them from too stretched, those who buy private property must sell their HDB flats within 6 months! :p

If I am a buyer of Bedok Residences, I will not exercise the option now with these 'COOLING MEASURES'. Its better to lose the option money than losing your pants!!!!!!!!!!!!:tongue3:

cl0ver
08-12-11, 20:21

don't compare lah, young people are now very motivated and ambitious.
most of my friends bought private at the age of 30. only some locals like to live with parents till their 40s ....

teddybear
08-12-11, 20:39
They forgot or don't even know what is called "HDB"! :scared-3: :doh:
Most people from middle and lower income families start with HDB! :tsk-tsk:
No money or money not enough still want to buy HDB at <30 years old and then cow-pay cow-bull? :p

don't compare lah, young people are now very motivated and ambitious.
most of my friends bought private at the age of 30. only some locals like to live with parents till their 40s ....

jwong71
08-12-11, 20:42
channel 5 property news;

orchard and bukit timah cld slump to 40%,:eek:

mass market 20%

teddybear
08-12-11, 20:45
No no no!
Orchard & Bukit Timah could slump >70%!!! Wah ha ha ha!
Mass market? Most buyers also disappeared! Suddenly all the so-called genuine demand & needs also shrunk! Real demand & need? Ah pui! :beats-me-man:
Like "Honey I shrunk my kid!" :p

channel 5 property news;

orchard and bukit timah cld slump to 40%,:eek:

mass market 20%

kane
08-12-11, 20:47
They forgot or don't even know what is called "HDB"! :scared-3: :doh:
Most people from middle and lower income families start with HDB! :tsk-tsk:
No money or money not enough still want to buy HDB at <30 years old and then cow-pay cow-bull? :p

A lot of young people think that living in a condo after a few years of work is their birth right.

Jadey
08-12-11, 20:59
No no no!
Orchard & Bukit Timah could slump >70%!!! Wah ha ha ha!
Mass market? Most buyers also disappeared! Suddenly all the so-called genuine demand & needs also shrunk! Real demand & need? Ah pui! :beats-me-man:
Like "Honey I shrunk my kid!" :p

what happen to the bulletproof CCR? :D

Jadey
08-12-11, 21:15
A lot of young people think that living in a condo after a few years of work is their birth right.

kids as young as 3 years old are already playing with iPad, who do you think?

irisng
08-12-11, 21:15
With the new CM, it seems that S'pore is driving away the foreign investors, will this affect our economy, though ppty prices might be adjusted. There is always a two way traffic, pro and con.

Jadey
08-12-11, 21:19
With the new CM, it seems that S'pore is driving away the foreign investors, will this affect our economy, though ppty prices might be adjusted. There is always a two way traffic, pro and con.

Influx of foreigners investing in Singapore property is actually pushing up inflation and causing hardship for majority of Singapore. If left unchecked, it will eventually kill our competitiveness and economy.

FDI in property doesnt create jobs, they are here to park their money and to make a profit.

Regulators
08-12-11, 21:21
I would rather donate my condos to charity than sell any one of them to these young upstarts at 20% discount. To hell with this group of gen Ys :doh:

kane
08-12-11, 21:22
if we continue to bring in more foreigners and if they're unable to buy a place, we could be faced with a rental supply crunch in the coming years.

Komo
08-12-11, 21:22
Influx of foreigners investing in Singapore property is actually pushing up inflation and causing hardship for majority of Singapore. If left unchecked, it will eventually kill our competitiveness and economy.

FDI in property doesnt create jobs, they are here to park their money and to make a profit.
now is our turn:D :D

kane
08-12-11, 21:23

our turn to roll the dice involves an extra 3% cost.

Jadey
08-12-11, 21:28

this will give us the opportunity to buy something nice to call it home.

To make money from property? you can, but at a much slower pace.

Komo
08-12-11, 21:29
our turn to roll the dice involves an extra 3% cost.
3% vs 20-30% drop?:D

teddybear
08-12-11, 21:36
With the new measures, nothing is bulletproof!
But I still think OCR will be affected more than CCR - just think: Who got higher holding power? :p

what happen to the bulletproof CCR? :D

devilplate
08-12-11, 21:36
this will give us the opportunity to buy something nice to call it home.

To make money from property? you can, but at a much slower pace.
No chance make money....play wif fellow singkies nia....either i earn ur money or u earn mine.....game over la

Ppty px will drop more den 20yrs......dun hope for recovery

devilplate
08-12-11, 21:38
Be patience.....1yr drop 30%, 5yr drop 40%, 10yr drop 50%, wait 20yr drop 60% whahahaha

devilplate
08-12-11, 21:39
With the new measures, nothing is bulletproof!
But I still think OCR will be affected more than CCR - just think: Who got higher holding power? :p
This time round no one survives ....quite fair compared to cm4.... Whahahaha

kane
08-12-11, 21:39

drop 20% they lift the ABSD, then foreigners roll the dice again...

devilplate
08-12-11, 21:46
drop 20% they lift the ABSD, then foreigners roll the dice again...
Now singkie continue to buy when they see 10% drop....drop 20% buy more....30% all showhand.....but den kena prolonged depression.....20yrs later one by one kena bank top up and all bankrupt den foreigners come in to their rescue!

Bestest!

kane
08-12-11, 21:51
Now singkie continue to buy when they see 10% drop....drop 20% buy more....30% all showhand.....but den kena prolonged depression.....20yrs later one by one kena bank top up and all bankrupt den foreigners come in to their rescue!

Bestest!

then ABSD for foreigner 50%, for local citizen 0%?

dmonddd
08-12-11, 22:01
now you can see who are PRs and who are foreigners..

well down Government for cooling the market
I am not the extremist who wish to see market drop by 50%.
prices should be reasonably priced and normalized if all talk about making big $$$ from property market.

at least landed homes are still restricted to singaporeans

Jadey
08-12-11, 22:04
No chance make money....play wif fellow singkies nia....either i earn ur money or u earn mine.....game over la

Ppty px will drop more den 20yrs......dun hope for recovery

dont be so pessimistic lah. With the new ruling many foreigners will have no choice but to continue renting, so this might give some support to rental market.

As for those who are holding on to those expensive CCR properties, good luck loh.

gn108
08-12-11, 22:08
Sorry but you do you think foreigners are so stupid or living in a vacuum?
They will work out their own strategy - find the weak link and the clearing rental price.

If it's a corporate lease - lagi worse...local HR will press the agents.

dont be so pessimistic lah. With the new ruling many foreigners will have no choice but to continue renting, so this might give some support to rental market.

As for those who are holding on to those expensive CCR properties, good luck loh.

Geylang OKT
08-12-11, 22:09
The rental market will surely drop. Cos desperate owners who cannot sell their units will turn to renting out their apts instead. So guess what happens when supply outstrips demand?

Our SG govt is smart enough to keep the foreign buyers (mostly money laundering) at bay for the next several years! :D

Jadey
08-12-11, 22:12
The rental market will surely drop. Cos desperate owners who cannot sell their units will turn to renting out their apts instead. So guess what happens when supply outstrips demand?

Our SG govt is smart enough to keep the foreign buyers (mostly money laundering) at bay for the next several years! :D

i was told, it is for the better good of the country.

devilplate
08-12-11, 22:14
i was told, it is for the better good of the country.
Surely good

Prices will drop to 2003 sars level and damn affordable for all 1st timer and upgradders ;)

devilplate
08-12-11, 22:15
Hdb 3 rm rental shall drop back to 2003 level of 800-900/mth ;)

Geylang OKT
08-12-11, 22:16
Hdb 3 rm rental shall drop back to 2003 level of 800-900/mth ;)

Wahooooo! :D :D :D

Rysk
08-12-11, 22:18
if we continue to bring in more foreigners and if they're unable to buy a place, we could be faced with a rental supply crunch in the coming years.
This CM may force many foreigners turn to rental.. And it may even cause more foreigners to take up PR just to avoid paying additional stamp duty when they actual have the intention to purchase a property in S'pore.

Geylang OKT
08-12-11, 22:21
This CM may force many foreigners turn to rental.. And it may even cause more foreigners to take up PR just to avoid paying additional stamp duty when they actual have the intention to purchase a property in S'pore.

foreigners donch just "take" PR. The sg govt has to "offer" it to them. And in recent months the sg govt has signalled that they are getting more and more stringent in offering PR-ship :D

jwong71
08-12-11, 22:22
foreigners donch just "take" PR. The sg govt has to "offer" it to them. And in recent months the sg govt has signalled that they are getting more and more stringent in offering PR-ship :D

govt got scholars to tackle issues and problems,and cover loopholes

ge issues not address yet.

dream a PR-ship hope...:D :D

devilplate
08-12-11, 22:22
Just imagine wat happen to our rental market when shyt hits......40% of our population comprise of pr/foreigner ;)

Piglet
08-12-11, 22:46
Wei Wei wei Teddy Bear,
What's wrong with young People wanting to own property?

And 29 is not young already for property ownership IMO.

I was lucky to buy my first private property at 24 after working for 2 years cos prices was cheap and 10% Down payment is sufficient.

I'm now 29 and has already bought and sell 3 properties and made some money which finally landed me in my perfect 1 bedroom home, with comfortable monthly mortgage and decent savings for rainy days.

I'm speaking for many young property owners I know. Most of us do not buy properties to invest,We are not being greedy.

We wanted a roof over our head and a home of our own.

I personally did not want to wait till I get married ( or 35 yrs old) to buy a HDB, then can move out of my parents house and have my own privacy.

We don't dream of owning high end properties that cost millions.
If we worked hard and saved hard to afford it at a young age,
Why bash us?

:tongue3:

peterng8
08-12-11, 22:54

Not only that...CAR too

peterng8
08-12-11, 22:57
my neighbour 18 yrs old one pte property ...

From his father pocket...:o

as long as there is downpayment sellers dont care who fork out the money...age? :D

kane
08-12-11, 23:05
my neighbour 18 yrs old one pte property ...

From his father pocket...:o

as long as there is downpayment sellers dont care who fork out the money...age? :D

silly, should let the son buy one HDB first. then the dad buy however many pte properties he wants. later than pass on.

devilplate
08-12-11, 23:18
silly, should let the son buy one HDB first. then the dad buy however many pte properties he wants. later than pass on.
Son wan to stay condo leh.....hdb low class wor....somemore mop 5yrs....torturing ok....hehehe

devilplate
08-12-11, 23:20
Wei Wei wei Teddy Bear,
What's wrong with young People wanting to own property?

And 29 is not young already for property ownership IMO.

I was lucky to buy my first private property at 24 after working for 2 years cos prices was cheap and 10% Down payment is sufficient.

I'm now 29 and has already bought and sell 3 properties and made some money which finally landed me in my perfect 1 bedroom home, with comfortable monthly mortgage and decent savings for rainy days.

I'm speaking for many young property owners I know. Most of us do not buy properties to invest,We are not being greedy.

We wanted a roof over our head and a home of our own.

I personally did not want to wait till I get married ( or 35 yrs old) to buy a HDB, then can move out of my parents house and have my own privacy.

We don't dream of owning high end properties that cost millions.
If we worked hard and saved hard to afford it at a young age,
Why bash us?

:tongue3:
U claimed u r not greedy and yet u buy and sell 3ppty within 5yrs! Whahahaha

devilplate
08-12-11, 23:21
Not only that...CAR too
Maid also hahaha

U noe there r many sg gers now tat they dun wash their own plate since yng?

jwong71
08-12-11, 23:22

not our type of cheapo pple, to leech on a hdb

wait till u walk into those rich man's palace, then u realised why they wont even take a 2nd tots to buy a hdb

kane
08-12-11, 23:22
Son wan to stay condo leh.....hdb low class wor....somemore mop 5yrs....torturing ok....hehehe

aiyo, a few nights sleep over at parents condo or landed still can right?

teddybear
08-12-11, 23:23
And didn't pay capital gain tax right? By right anybody who buy and sell more than 1 property within any 3 years period need to pay capital gain tax right? Where is IRAS? They are sleeping on their job not to nip such people? (Hee Hee, I never buy and sell so fast within 3 years, I long-term investor.... :p )

kane
08-12-11, 23:23
not our type of cheapo pple, to leech on a hdb

wait till u walk into those rich man's palace, then u realised why they wont even take a 2nd tots to buy a hdb

i've literally seen some "palaces" with roman soldiers at the gates. ha.

Wild Falcon
09-12-11, 09:18
Say say only lah. Darn easy to get PR one. In any case, if these foreigners (like some PRC here to become chickens) are so lousy type cant even qualify for PR, then forget it lah.

BTW, I notice a lot PRC chickens renting high-end property (no kidding) along River Valley after I went for some viewing. These are the type of foreigners who may problem getting PRs now.

maisonjai
09-12-11, 09:39
BTW, I notice a lot PRC chickens renting high-end property (no kidding) along River Valley after I went for some viewing. These are the type of foreigners who may problem getting PRs now.
from tiananmen one lor.

Piglet
09-12-11, 13:13

I can honestly say that all the provious properties, I bought with the intention of own stay and not for investment. But after staying there for a year. it doesn't feel right. Thus I sell and look for anotehr one. Eg: first one , too small( I need a bigger place), 2nd one, walk up ( I need a lift)

So happend that I was lucky to make money along the way.
Even If I buy for investment, Ppl who made good choices and invested wisely = Greedy?

Young or old, ppl who invested during that period made money wat.
I don't understand what's with the Bashing of young property owners?

If today I am 40 yrs old and made money from property then I am a smart investor.
If I am only 29 years old,made money from property fwith my own money, I am a greedy young punk.

What's the logic??

You guys only save enough to buy property after your 30s and start late, too bad la!

Piglet
09-12-11, 13:31
Oh and one more thing I'd like to clarify.
More often than not, for us " young punks" who wants to get our own home,
We are forced to buy more expensive private properties due to HDB rules.

Not becasue we want to act high class and must stay in " CONDO".
We have no other choice wat.

radha08
09-12-11, 13:31
I can honestly say that all the provious properties, I bought with the intention of own stay and not for investment. But after staying there for a year. it doesn't feel right. Thus I sell and look for anotehr one. Eg: first one , too small( I need a bigger place), 2nd one, walk up ( I need a lift)

Even If I buy for investment, Ppl who made good choices and invested wisely = Greedy?

If today I am 40 yrs old and made money from property then I am a smart investor.
If I am only 29 years old,made money from property fwith my own money, I am a greedy young punk.

What's the logic??

You guys only save enough to buy property after your 30s and start late, too bad la!

well done....:cheers4:

radha08
09-12-11, 13:34
Maid also hahaha

U noe there r many sg gers now tat they dun wash their own plate since yng?

ya like my children everything done by the maid...knn when i was young..all do myself...:doh:

Amber Woods
09-12-11, 13:37

What's the logic??

I think here exist a generation gap issue. The seniors have been bought up in a more prudent way when come to investment. And as a matter of fact, in the earlier days, there wasn't much opportunity to invest in PC until the 90s. So most seniors started quite late when come to real estate investment.

The younger X generation is already exposed to real estate investment during their school days and also learning from their senior (parents) in the art of investment. So the X gen will naturally start early.

Please forgive your senior because they do really mean well and because they were bought up this way.

Piglet
09-12-11, 13:50
I think here exist a generation gap issue. The seniors have been bought up in a more prudent way when come to investment. And as a matter of fact, in the earlier days, there wasn't much opportunity to invest in PC until the 90s. So most seniors started quite late when come to real estate investment.

The younger X generation is already exposed to real estate investment during their school days and also learning from their senior (parents) in the art of investment. So the X gen will naturally start early.

Please forgive your senior because they do really mean well and because they were bought up this way.

True also la. Its all about the timing. I for sure didn't know anythig about the art of investment when I buy the first studio apartment.
Just happened that year properties are cheap so I can buy. If I was born just 1 or 2 years later, I wouldn't be able to start early as well.

I'd say I am Quite Heng.

ysyap
09-12-11, 16:50

What's the logic??

You guys only save enough to buy property after your 30s and start late, too bad la!You sounded pissed... Lol. Its actually a group of young people who are making the loudest noise that turned many 'seniors' off. They complained about everything, from transportation to housing and high cost of living, as if the world owe them a living, that is erky. If you are young and earning above the income ceiling so have no choice but to buy PC, then well done to you. Don't think anyone of the 'seniors' here mention that if you're 29 and made money from property with your own money, you are a greedy young punk. Cheers! :cheers5: