PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate number for S$

irisng
11-12-11, 20:46
Anybody ever come across duplicate numbers for our S$2. Two S$2 with the same numbers but different alphabets.

jwong71
11-12-11, 21:05
Anybody ever come across duplicate numbers for our S$2. Two S$2 with the same numbers but different alphabets.

Never come across. But kept a $10 note serial no 988889, for good luck

irisng
11-12-11, 21:48
Never come across. But kept a $10 note serial no 988889, for good luck

I have a stack of S$2 notes with duplicate numbers but different alphabets. I got it few years back when I went to the bank to change for CNY, till now I still keep it.

Wonder whether MAS want to change with me or not at a higher value, huat ah.:cheers4:

evergreen
11-12-11, 22:52
Maybe they will charge u for printing counterfeit money!
:scared-3:

Eastboy
12-12-11, 00:19
I have a stack of S$2 notes with duplicate numbers but different alphabets. I got it few years back when I went to the bank to change for CNY, till now I still keep it.

Wonder whether MAS want to change with me or not at a higher value, huat ah.:cheers4:

i find this thread very funny...i mean, i didn't know people actually look at serial nos!!! maybe you shld post this question in some money hobbyist forum then they can advise you better? the money i see everyday is electronic money...hahahaha

evergreen
12-12-11, 08:45
I think you should maintain that stack in mint condition, wait till the notes are no longer in print. After that, can auction off :D Or can try to find forum with collectors and ask them about it.

irisng
12-12-11, 21:32
i find this thread very funny...i mean, i didn't know people actually look at serial nos!!! maybe you shld post this question in some money hobbyist forum then they can advise you better? the money i see everyday is electronic money...hahahaha

Actually some notes have very nice numbers. Just like jwong71, his/her $10 notes serial number is very nice too. I have one that has the same number as my IC.

I change it for my CNY Hong Pao. Normally I will look at the numbers before I put it inside the red packets just in case they stick together. I found that our plastic dollars notes not so good, if there is a slight tear on the notes, and if by accident, you pull it, it can easily tear into half and also sticky, always seems to stick together especially new notes.

irisng
12-12-11, 21:47
Maybe they will charge u for printing counterfeit money!
:scared-3:

Haha, I'm not afraid, mine is genuine S$, 真金不怕火. They can always check on it.:D

jeaprp
13-12-11, 14:10
See the difference?

Laguna
13-12-11, 15:05
I hv an orchid series, $5 with 777777, kept for almost 40+ years

and two $50 notes with 177088, same number. These two come in a stack of bew $50, quite surprised to find these two

these are some of my collections

irisng
13-12-11, 20:20
See the difference?

I spotted 3 differences but one of them not sure whether is it or not, might be due to the lighting.

1) The "silver ring" on the 1st copy is more sparkling than the 2nd copy.
2) For the 1st copy, the serial number shown on the horizon ends with "5"
but on the vertical side, it ends with "4".
3) The "green flag" on the 1st copy is lighter than the 2nd copy.

irisng
13-12-11, 20:26
I hv an orchid series, $5 with 777777, kept for almost 40+ years

and two $50 notes with 177088, same number. These two come in a stack of bew $50, quite surprised to find these two

these are some of my collections

It is hard to find such number with same digits (777777).

Does your $50 notes has the same alphabet also? Mine same numbers but different alphabets.

ysyap
14-12-11, 06:12
I spotted 3 differences but one of them not sure whether is it or not, might be due to the lighting.

1) The "silver ring" on the 1st copy is more sparkling than the 2nd copy.
2) For the 1st copy, the serial number shown on the horizon ends with "5"
but on the vertical side, it ends with "4".
3) The "green flag" on the 1st copy is lighter than the 2nd copy.I also spotted the serial number 4 and 5 being different. The rest you've mentioned are probably not different but due to lighting like you said... :cheers6:

ysyap
14-12-11, 06:14
Apart from serial numbers, who keeps old old notes? Any banana notes? My oldest note is probably the bird series. Used to have the one dollar coin (not the current gold piece) but lost it when moving house... :doh:

irisng
14-12-11, 07:45
Apart from serial numbers, who keeps old old notes? Any banana notes? My oldest note is probably the bird series. Used to have the one dollar coin (not the current gold piece) but lost it when moving house... :doh:

I still have the $1 coins (bird designs). My mother gave 10 pcs to me when I got married for me to put inside my luggage. It has the sentimental value.

Laguna
14-12-11, 08:04
It is hard to find such number with same digits (777777).

Does your $50 notes has the same alphabet also? Mine same numbers but different alphabets.

one alpha different for the two $50

irisng
14-12-11, 19:56
I still have the $1 coins (bird designs). My mother gave 10 pcs to me when I got married for me to put inside my luggage. It has the sentimental value.

Came home after work to check my notes and coins collection. The $1 coins that I mentioned earlier actually has a "Merlion" at the back of the coin and not a "Bird Design".

ysyap
14-12-11, 20:00
Came home after work to check my notes and coins collection. The $1 coins that I mentioned earlier actually has a "Merlion" at the back of the coin and not a "Bird Design".Good for you.... I recently saw an old shop at Changi village selling old Sing D notes at something like 20% to 50% above that denominational value. Hmmm... For that small profit, I probably would not want to part with these sentimental notes... Lol! :cheers5:

irisng
14-12-11, 20:20

My friend had orchid series notes. Just like you, mine starts from bird series but I have a $$50 plastic note which shows S'pore river and Parliament and a $$20 plastic note which is joined by S'pore and Brunei.

irisng
14-12-11, 20:25
Good for you.... I recently saw an old shop at Changi village selling old Sing D notes at something like 20% to 50% above that denominational value. Hmmm... For that small profit, I probably would not want to part with these sentimental notes... Lol! :cheers5:

That's right, unless I have a lots of old notes to spare but definitely I'll not part with the S$1 coins that my mother gave me. :)

ysyap
14-12-11, 20:39
That's right, unless I have a lots of old notes to spare but definitely I'll not part with the S$1 coins that my mother gave me. :)Yup... can give to your daughter when she is married (or already married) or can give to your daughter in law or something... its meant to be passed on, not sold... :)

irisng
14-12-11, 21:00
Yup... can give to your daughter when she is married (or already married) or can give to your daughter in law or something... its meant to be passed on, not sold... :)

I think I will keep it until the day I'm not around, then let them split it, afterall I can't see anymore but still hope that they can keep it and pass on and on.

buttercarp
14-12-11, 21:10
Better inspect your old notes on and off, in case of termites infestation.
My friend's storeroom of books was half eaten by termites.

irisng
14-12-11, 21:15
My friend's storeroom of books was half eaten by termites.

Previously my son kept Malaysian dollars, one of the days he took out and have a look, wow, all the dollars became old and dirty but some of other currencies still okay. Don't know whether does it have anything to do with the paper quality or not?

ysyap
15-12-11, 07:17
My friend's storeroom of books was half eaten by termites.Interesting question... how termites reach those books? How did that colony even reach the storeroom? Well bombshelter might be a better storage facility then? :rolleyes:

buttercarp
15-12-11, 08:06
Interesting question... how termites reach those books? How did that colony even reach the storeroom? Well bombshelter might be a better storage facility then? :rolleyes:

Beats me too!
She lives on the 18th floor and the termites climbed all the way up. Her neighbors below also have the same problem.
Household shelter immune to termites?
Don't know about that. Part of her fireproof door also got chewed up!

ysyap
15-12-11, 08:41
Beats me too!
She lives on the 18th floor and the termites climbed all the way up. Her neighbors below also have the same problem.
Household shelter immune to termites?
Don't know about that. Part of her fireproof door also got chewed up!Where is she staying? Inside the termite nest? :scared-1: