PDA

View Full Version : Just MRT breakdown again and again

Pages : [1] 2

Lovelle
15-12-11, 21:13
Commuters were hit by a peak hour train disruption yet again on Thursday evening due to a fault on the north-south line.

In a statement, SMRT said that train services between Marina Bay and Bishan stations will be closed and will not be up any more this night.

Preliminary investigation shows that around 40m of power rail has been damaged between City Hall and Dhoby Ghaut stations, it said.

The transport operator said that its staff are now on site attending to the fault. It pledged to work round the clock to repair the damage and hoped to get the north-bound train service for this stretch up by Friday morning.
Meanwhile, north bound service from Ang Mo Kio to Jurong East stations, as well as all south bound train services are still running, said SMRT.

It advised passengers to take alternative modes of transport or the bus bridging service available between Bishan and Marina Bay MRT stations.

Some Yahoo! Singapore readers have said that they were stuck in trains on that line.

One user Melvin Huang said, "Yes. We are stuck in the train between Orchard station and a woman just fainted. The driver is not talking to us. We manage to force open a door."

"I was affected. Was at Marina Bay station and waited very long before they told us no train so had to walk all the way to Raffles Place MRT again to take eastbound train," said another reader Stone Sharon.

mcmlxxvi
15-12-11, 21:23
Surprised nobody wrote about it here before you... tonight rather hot... must be the combined fury of all the passengers who kena...

Lovelle
15-12-11, 21:27
i noticed a dropped in postings after cm5. also many here are rich man driving around with their SUV or lambo...probably not affected..

Regulators
15-12-11, 21:38
So what is lui tuck yew doing about it?

mcmlxxvi
15-12-11, 21:43
i noticed a dropped in postings after cm5. also many here are rich man driving around with their SUV or lambo...probably not affected..

Or already stay in super prime area go about on foot 'for healthy living'...

mcmlxxvi
15-12-11, 21:45
I just realised one reader quoted as Stone Sharon. wtf? Sharon Stone??? real report or 'a rare jokes'....

kane
15-12-11, 22:03
40m so long, how did that happen?

richwang
15-12-11, 23:03
We need mini-bus system to connect the landed areas. It also provide alternative for taxi or bus/MRT. Just look at Hong Kong.

Thanks,
Richard

fclim
16-12-11, 00:07
SMRT = So Many Ridiculous Troubles. SBS must be Si Beh Song.

hyenergix
16-12-11, 05:29
SMRT = So Many Ridiculous Troubles. SBS must be Si Beh Song.

The focus is to earn profit to pay themselves well. Commuters can take bus, cab or walk if they don't like MRT.

Komo
16-12-11, 05:37
nowadays bus drivers are hell drivers and don't follow traffic rules and always get into accidents. cab, walk or drive better:D

ysyap
16-12-11, 08:12
So what is lui tuck yew doing about it?He is currently overseas but added on facebook that a thorough investigation on the entire train system must be conducted. He raised his concerns...

ysyap
16-12-11, 08:13
Right after the announcement of taxi hike by SMRT, two successive breakdowns in 3 days is just what they need to convince Singapore that they are more than worthy of the price hikes... :doh:

proud owner
16-12-11, 08:30
Right after the announcement of taxi hike by SMRT, two successive breakdowns in 3 days is just what they need to convince Singapore that they are more than worthy of the price hikes... :doh:

many stopped taking taxi after the hike ...

so ... if MRT breaks down ..people are forced back into taking cabs ..right ?

ay123
16-12-11, 08:36
MUST SOLVE THE ROOT CAUSE!!! SACK THE CEO OF SMRT. SHE SHOULD BE 101% RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL THIS!!! BISHAN INCIDENT ONLY FINE SMRT BUT CEO JUS SAY SORRY. WTF

phantom_opera
16-12-11, 08:40
She has retail background, worked for DFS group for 19y... after she took over, 40% of revenue of SMRT now come from shops around MRT ... you can imagine how much they allocate for IT / infrastructure spending ... this kind of incident will happen even more until they refocus their budget allocation to infrastructure spending

Her objective is to grow SMRT to please the shareholders, not the commuters :beats-me-man:

Regulators
16-12-11, 09:02
I think smrt sure kenna hefty fine

proud owner
16-12-11, 09:07
I think smrt sure kenna hefty fine

left pocket right pocket .

the fine should be distributed to the needys ..

ysyap
16-12-11, 09:21
many stopped taking taxi after the hike ...

so ... if MRT breaks down ..people are forced back into taking cabs ..right ?Hmmm they are not SMRT... they are SMART... force people to take the taxi through failures of the train service...:tsk-tsk:

devilplate
16-12-11, 09:24
SMRT CMI big time

y they fail to do a mass broadcast to every other stations???

its definitely not a localised problem lor.....

devilplate
16-12-11, 09:26
looks like SMRT standard very low.....add CCL line.....den all messed up liao......system haywire.....still got DTL2,3,ERL.....OMG!

phantom_opera
16-12-11, 09:32
This DFS lady is a favorite of Ho (you know who la) :tongue3:

In Japan, train minister will come out and resign already ... 1 incident can forgive, 2nd incident must come out in TV, bow and resign

Now LTA want to investigate whole system, SMRT share price to plunge

proud owner
16-12-11, 09:38

In Japan, train minister will come out and resign already ... 1 incident can forgive, 2nd incident must come out in TV, bow and resign

官 官 相 照

i push you up .. ( support the ass ) ... you help me next time

phantom_opera
16-12-11, 09:51
no way already, this time Lui not going to give face due to election issue (read PAP loses Aljunied because of housing/transport)...once LTA forms an expert panel to survey the whole system, SMRT has no way to hide liao

ysyap
16-12-11, 09:55
no way already, this time Lui not going to give face due to election issue (read PAP loses Aljunied because of housing/transport)...once LTA forms an expert panel to survey the whole system, SMRT has no way to hide liaoJust watch how SMaRT is SMRT? :D

august
16-12-11, 10:01

backing from the untouchables lah ;)

ysyap
16-12-11, 10:08
backing from the untouchables lah ;)From the most recent GE, the number of untouchables have shrank tremendously liao... no more hiding behind the older generations when the number of young voters have increased by leaps and bounds... :spliff:

proud owner
16-12-11, 10:21
did u guys hear ?

that when the train broke down ..
they sms taxi drivers : Money making opportunity...

and stated where the crowds would be ...

this morning heard they apologised ...

fafalulu
16-12-11, 10:41
Need to overhaul the train system le. SMRT very profit minded

EW and NS line too old already, track getting very very loud at tanah merah also :doh: :doh: :doh:

forte
16-12-11, 10:51
SMRT breakdown are so frequent....i have encounter many incidents delay for like those 10-30mins also which they never reported on the news:banghead:

phantom_opera
16-12-11, 10:59
Yes, crash the SMRT share price from $1.80 to $1.20 please

sunrise
16-12-11, 11:09
So what is lui tuck yew doing about it?

they employed all the no brainers.

one of the example here - removing the seats.
a row of seat is supposed to seat 7 people, after removing the seat the
vaccant space only allows to squeeze up to maximum 8 person. but this is not the case. commuters tends to spread out to avoid touching one another. (can be accused for molesting if suay)
see what they do, they make the commuter suffers standing throughout the journey. still want to fare hike.

stalingrad
16-12-11, 11:34
very soon "next to an MRT station" will become a liability rather than a selling point for a condo.

I haven't taken an MRT ride for god knows how long. it is dirty, smelly and the passengers are rude. they never gave up their seats even to dead people. and they fight for seats like dogs fighting for a piece or rotten meat. lowest class of people.

buttercarp
16-12-11, 11:44
very soon "next to an MRT station" will become a liability rather than a selling point for a condo.

I haven't taken an MRT ride for god knows how long. it is dirty, smelly and the passengers are rude. they never gave up their seats even to dead people. and they fight for seats like dogs fighting for a piece or rotten meat. lowest class of people.

High class people no need to take MRT.
High class people think low class people are smelly, dirty and rude.
High class people think dead people take MRT.
High class people never get tired as they don't need to stand for long and their seats including the toilet bowl may be made of gold.
High class people are never hungry and never need to fight for food.

It is sad that some high class people think that way.

Allthepies
16-12-11, 11:44

ya la only people staying in crappy belle are the highest class :doh:

Allthepies
16-12-11, 11:46
High class people never get tired as they don't need to stand for long and their seats including the toilet bowl may be made of gold.

it is even sadder that some people think they are high class but actually not :D:D:D

nobrainer32007
16-12-11, 11:49
This high "classed" idiot will next say his crappy belle is not affected by any cooling measures.
:doh:

ya la only people staying in crappy belle are the highest class :doh:

stalingrad
16-12-11, 11:51

I am not rich. I take buses. don't think I posted those comments because I am high and mighty. I am not. I was just lamenting the lack of etiquette in singapore, especially among MRT riders.

I once scolded three passengers for pretending to be sleeping when an auntie held a young child standing next to them for almost one hour. I called them disgraceful and a shame to their own country. I don't think they even understood me. next time I will have to speak Chinese.:simmering:

sunrise
16-12-11, 11:56

aaaei..... you should have tried mrt ride before out of curiosity. you were once a lowest class people too. god knows you better:confused:

stalingrad
16-12-11, 11:58
aaaei..... you should have tried mrt ride before out of curiosity. you were once a lowest class people too. god knows you better:confused:

I have never been as low class as these people that take MRT. Even when I was poor and tired, I would give up my seats to people in need. not in this country.

devilplate
16-12-11, 12:02
to say only low class ppl taking MRT is really NO CLASS

wakakakakakka

devilplate
16-12-11, 12:03
I once scolded three passengers for pretending to be sleeping when an auntie held a young child standing next to them for almost one hour. I called them disgraceful and a shame to their own country. I don't think they even understood me. next time I will have to speak Chinese.:simmering:
filmed them using ur iphone and upload to STOMP la

stalingrad
16-12-11, 12:07
to say only low class ppl taking MRT is really NO CLASS

wakakakakakka

don't lie about what I said in that post. I did not say what you attributed to me.

stalingrad
16-12-11, 12:08
filmed them using ur iphone and upload to STOMP la

I don't have to. this kind of thing happens on a daily basis in Singapore. you guys probably have seen it more often than I have. but you guys probably do it yourself and would not even bat an eyelid when you see it right under your nose.

PN
16-12-11, 12:16

Never taken MRT for a long time so think it's dirty & smelly? Smart.

And I doubt the rest is written by high class people.

masterkey
16-12-11, 12:17
I am not rich. I take buses. don't think I posted those comments because I am high and mighty. I am not. I was just lamenting the lack of etiquette in singapore, especially among MRT riders.

I haven't taken a bus ride for god knows how long. it is dirty, smelly and the passengers are rude. they never gave up their seats even to dead people. and they fight for seats like dogs fighting for a piece or rotten meat. lowest class of people.

You probably don't feel this way and continue to take the bus because you are guilty of such behavior too and would not even bat an eyelid when you see it right under your nose.

buttercarp
16-12-11, 12:17
I don't have to. this kind of thing happens on a daily basis in Singapore. you guys probably have seen it more often than I have. but you guys probably do it yourself and would not even bat an eyelid when you see it right under your nose.

You mean in your country, everyone is so gracious?
Then why u come here?:p

stalingrad
16-12-11, 12:23
You mean in your country, everyone is so gracious?
Then why u come here?:p

of course. Even in Taiwan and Korea, no one will take the seats designated for people in need. sometimes you see a MRT car totally jam packed but the seats for people in need are unoccupied. one time I was in Vancouver. a old man came aboard, and a passenger in the back of the bus, at least 30 feet away, ran all the way and asked the old man to take his seat. this kind of thing would happen in Singapore, once in a blue moon. the most grace-lacking country I know.

buttercarp
16-12-11, 12:36
of course. Even in Taiwan and Korea, no one will take the seats designated for people in need. sometimes you see a MRT car totally jam packed but the seats for people in need are unoccupied. one time I was in Vancouver. a old man came aboard, and a passenger in the back of the bus, at least 30 feet away, ran all the way and asked the old man to take his seat. this kind of thing would happen in Singapore, once in a blue moon. the most grace-lacking country I know.

That is not practical at all.
If it is packed then people should make way, even if it means sitting/ standing in the reserved seats.
You love Singapore, don't you? Otherwise you won't have so much pent up feelings.
Love - hate relationship?

stalingrad
16-12-11, 12:39
That is not practical at all.
If it is packed then people should make way, even if it means sitting/ standing in the reserved seats.
You love Singapore, don't you? Otherwise you won't have so much pent up feelings.
Love - hate relationship?
initially I did like Singapore. now I see this country has real problems, including the people being very self-absorbed and very very selfish and whiny.

PN
16-12-11, 12:43

Keeping them unoccupied is a waste of resources.

You're outdated already. My observation is people are more willing to give up their seats today but with a slight hesitant/delay. I guess this is just a culture thing, still feel shy about doing this.

But don't expect 100% will do this. I've seen angmo sitting tight tight to his seat and not giving it up regardless of who is standing beside him.

However on another occasion, when I expected a young guy in shirt & tie will give up his seat but ended up it's an indian/bangladesh construction worker who did it.

phantom_opera
16-12-11, 12:44
stalin basically thinks he is more gracious than most Singaporeans lol

may be he should visit Bombay's train station during peak hours to see what is 'survival' skills than only he will reconsider what kind of society can afford graciousness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fRyqP0aHtQ&feature=related

buttercarp
16-12-11, 12:46
initially I did like Singapore. now I see this country has real problems, including the people being very self-absorbed and very very selfish and whiny.

There are lots of foreigners, including you that make up the population.
So the people you are referring to may not just be pure born and bred Singaporeans.
You have the choice to pack and leave ............

buttercarp
16-12-11, 12:51
My observation is people are more willing to give up their seats today but with a slight hesitant/delay. I guess this is just a culture thing, still feel shy about doing this.

Yup, agree with you.
I was on the train with a visually handicapped person one day. After boarding the train for a while, no one gave up his seat. So I approached the one sitting on the reserved seat, asking if he could give up his seat, and immediately 5 other people in the same row stood up to offer their seats.

stalingrad
16-12-11, 12:54
Yup, agree with you.
I was on the train with a visually handicapped person one day. After boarding the train for a while, no one gave up his seat. So I approached the one sitting on the reserved seat, asking if he could give up his seat, and immediately 5 other people in the same row stood up to offer their seats.

I would call that graciousness under duress. that is not the same as spontaneous graciousness.

buttercarp
16-12-11, 13:01
I would call that graciousness under duress. that is not the same as spontaneous graciousness.

Whatever you call it.....it is still graciousness.
So if you think you need the seat badly, ask and it shall most of the time be granted.

stalingrad
16-12-11, 13:04
Whatever you call it.....it is still graciousness.
So if you think you need the seat badly, ask and it shall most of the time be granted.

I don't think that is true. haha, you are deluding yourself. a lot of stories can be found online that suggest people don't give up their seats no matter what.

buttercarp
16-12-11, 13:10
I don't think that is true. haha, you are deluding yourself. a lot of stories can be found online that suggest people don't give up their seats no matter what.
Not deluding myself.
Perhaps you have not experienced the good things and hence, are so disillusioned.
Poor thing!

sunrise
16-12-11, 13:38

again, that's another MRT design issues.

the easiest way to solve designated seat problems is just add a bell in each cabin, anybody can just trigger and request when the seat is needed.

MRT exist for 25 years. simple things also cannot solve, garment waste too much resources.

do you think the CM5 works?

ysyap
16-12-11, 14:01
Well graciousness is definitely present. Its just a matter of whether you've witnessed it on train. The fact that there are forummers here arguing about the absence of graciousness on train simply mean this forummer has the potential to be gracious so when he steps into a train cabin, there is graciousness onbaord already..Hee

3 days back I took the train to city. Opposite me was a young man seated comfortably in the 2 seater corner. When a lady pushing a baby pram and her two daughters stepped in, that young man's head immediately dropped and he entered into a deep trance. Instant sleep mode activated... Wow... that is an absence of graciousness... :simmering: Then my wife said when she took the kids out, people were rushing to offer their seats to them. That is graciousness... :spliff:

hyenergix
16-12-11, 14:05
Yup, agree with you.

Let me try. U muz b a sweet looking lady w dovey eyes, n wearing sexy clothes. N e 5 person who stood up r dirty old men.

proud owner
16-12-11, 14:08

the girls lor

they wanted a pink cabin all for themselves
and use 'being' molested as excuse to fight for a cabin for themselves

so the girls are the HIGH CRASS ones lor

mcmlxxvi
16-12-11, 14:37
again, that's another MRT design issues.

the easiest way to solve designated seat problems is just add a bell in each cabin, anybody can just trigger and request when the seat is needed.

MRT exist for 25 years. simple things also cannot solve, garment waste too much resources.

do you think the CM5 works?

just follow the cm way lor impose a SQUATTER SIT DUTY SSD to fine those caught occupying the seat when they not needy...

ysyap
16-12-11, 14:43
Transport operator SMRT (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=14d4tp0e2/EXP=1325230833/**http%3A//sg.news.yahoo.com/%25E2%2580%2598they-don%25E2%2580%2599t-seem-to-care-about-passengers-at-all%25E2%2580%2599.html) said that the train fault on the North-South line (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=13p397ch8/EXP=1325230833/**http%3A//sg.news.yahoo.com/train-faults-on-north-south-line-between-bishan-and-marina-bay-stations.html) during Thursday’s evening peak hour was caused by a damaged third rail between Dhoby Ghaut and City Hall MRT stations.

This resulted in four trains stalling – one at Braddell and Orchard stations, and two at Dhoby Ghaut station, it said in a media statement early Friday morning.

The train operator elaborated that traction power was switched off to allow passengers to get out of the trains (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=12spkckh8/EXP=1325230833/**http%3A//sg.news.yahoo.com/public-anger-mounts-over-train-disruptions.html), as well as to allow their engineers to go onsite to attend to the fault. The rail was repaired by 9:52pm, it added.

Preliminary investigations during the outage revealed that about 40-metres of power rail was damaged between City Hall and Dhoby Ghaut stations, the train operator earlier said.

SMRT said it activated about 300 staff on the ground to assist passengers and resolve the fault.

[Slideshow: North-South Line MRT breakdown (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=138e8ong4/EXP=1325230833/**http%3A//sg.news.yahoo.com/photos/north-south-line-mrt-breakdown-1323965746-slideshow/)]

The outage, which started at 6:56pm, affected stations in both directions from Bishan to Marina Bay, according to an SMRT spokesperson.
Bus bridging services were provided between Marina Bay and Bishan stations, as well as between Bishan and Ang Mo Kio.

The North-bound train service between Marina Bay and Bishan stations was announced closed for the night, though before midnight SMRT said that train service had resumed at 11:40pm.

Passengers who were affected by the disruption can file a claim for refund at the Passenger Service Centre of any SMRT station, it said.

SMRT said it “apologises for the inconvenience caused”.

ysyap
16-12-11, 15:08
SMRT has apologised for sending out a message alert that asked its own affiliate taxis to take advantage of the massive MRT breakdown on Thursday evening.

The message sent out at 7:58pm on Thursday read, "Income opportunity. Dear partners, there is a breakdown in our MRT train services from Bishan MRT to Marina Bay MRT stretch of stations."

An SMRT spokesperson confirmed the legitimacy (https://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=12rj5mhse/EXP=1325231912/**https%3A//www.facebook.com/yahoosingaporenewsroom/posts/10150459251938001) of the picture and the message that was sent out on Thursday night, telling Yahoo! Singapore that it was a wrongly-worded message that was sent out by its taxi staff.

“We are sorry for the oversight. Our staff used a template and we have since corrected it,” she said, adding that the transport operator has since spoken with their taxi staff responsible for broadcasting these messages to change it.

Thousands of commuters were left stranded from the massive disruption on the North-South line (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=13pgrkp53/EXP=1325231912/**http%3A//sg.news.yahoo.com/train-faults-on-north-south-line-between-bishan-and-marina-bay-stations.html) in what's believed to be the worst disruption in SMRT's 24-year operating history.

24-year-old Loh Boon Teo was riding in an SMRT taxi on his way home to Malaysia when he happened to come across the message.

The video editor for omy.sg told Yahoo! Singapore that he was quite incensed at the sight of the message, as he was already spending a week’s worth of MRT train fares on a single taxi ride to the Woodlands checkpoint.

“It just really made me feel like all they cared about was making money out of this,” he said. “They really don’t seem to care about us passengers at all.”

He took the photo and sent it to his colleague Kenneth Kong, who then posted it on Facebook (https://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=14dt2te1c/EXP=1325231912/**https%3A//www.facebook.com/photo.php%3Ffbid=10150465180534028%26set=a.10150465180529028.386827.552079027%26type=1%26theater), and it soon spread like wildfire — as did the controversy that followed.

Many Yahoo! Singapore readers were outraged at the message, with some saying it was wrongly-worded and others taking great offence, angered that Singaporeans seem to have been taken as a source of “income”.

Commenting on a post of the picture, user Lucilla Teoh wrote, “Totally unethical to call it an ‘income opportunity’. A simple announcement to say that taxis will be needed will suffice.”

Another user Aaron Ang added, “This is seriously going over the line. What are they taking Singaporeans for? Are we just dollar bills? … Income opportunity, really?”

Several others, however, said that it was good that taxi drivers were being alerted to the immediate need for cabs in affected areas around the island.

User Jen Jen Lee wrote, “(It’s) just the language problem, I think — otherwise, it’s fine. Without this message, those waiting for cabs can’t get to where they want to go.”

Reader Veronica Tang said, “I really didn’t think there’s anything wrong. First, it’s Carpe Diem in its brightest display. Second, people still need transport to get home. No problem. Everyone benefits.”

ePeng Tan pointed out, “This is the power of teamwork and information-sharing. Economically, it is the best distribution of resources.”

The controversy comes just days after SMRT Taxis announced plans to increase flagdown fares, meter fares and waiting time charges next Tuesday. The move is in line with similar fare changes announced by Comfort Delgro's own taxi fleet.

Lovelle
16-12-11, 15:23
Check out Today newspaper, even our medical talent refused to come home due to culture and office politics. That's the culture of self absorbed or u called it individualism here,,,,simply selfish

azeoprop
16-12-11, 15:45
Looks like MRT is not a hotspot anymore....
So the crappyland Bishan site can only sell for 800psf from now on? :p
Trevista subsale can only sell 750psf? :rolleyes:
Soleil@Sinaran 850psf? :rolleyes:
Trilight 900psf? :rolleyes:

stalingrad
16-12-11, 15:54
Looks like MRT is not a hotspot anymore....
So the crappyland Bishan site can only sell for 800psf from now on? :p
Trevista subsale can only sell 750psf? :rolleyes:
Soleil@Sinaran 850psf? :rolleyes:
Trilight 900psf? :rolleyes:

not any more. who wants to live near an MRT station and have to deal with a huge crowd disgruntled people leaving the station because of a service shutdown? not to mention queues of taxis waiting to fleece these people.

phantom_opera
16-12-11, 15:58
30 years on the east bank, 30 years on the west bank, next time when our congestion reaches Japan/Bombay standard; condo far from MRT command more premium :tongue3:

proud owner
16-12-11, 16:05
SMRT has apologised for sending out a message alert that asked its own affiliate taxis to take advantage of the massive MRT breakdown on Thursday evening.

The message sent out at 7:58pm on Thursday read, "Income opportunity. Dear partners, there is a breakdown in our MRT train services from Bishan MRT to Marina Bay MRT stretch of stations."

An SMRT spokesperson confirmed the legitimacy (https://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=12rj5mhse/EXP=1325231912/**https%3A//www.facebook.com/yahoosingaporenewsroom/posts/10150459251938001) of the picture and the message that was sent out on Thursday night, telling Yahoo! Singapore that it was a wrongly-worded message that was sent out by its taxi staff.

“We are sorry for the oversight. Our staff used a template and we have since corrected it,” she said, adding that the transport operator has since spoken with their taxi staff responsible for broadcasting these messages to change it.

Thousands of commuters were left stranded from the massive disruption on the North-South line (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=13pgrkp53/EXP=1325231912/**http%3A//sg.news.yahoo.com/train-faults-on-north-south-line-between-bishan-and-marina-bay-stations.html) in what's believed to be the worst disruption in SMRT's 24-year operating history.

24-year-old Loh Boon Teo was riding in an SMRT taxi on his way home to Malaysia when he happened to come across the message.

The video editor for omy.sg told Yahoo! Singapore that he was quite incensed at the sight of the message, as he was already spending a week’s worth of MRT train fares on a single taxi ride to the Woodlands checkpoint.

“It just really made me feel like all they cared about was making money out of this,” he said. “They really don’t seem to care about us passengers at all.”

He took the photo and sent it to his colleague Kenneth Kong, who then posted it on Facebook (https://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=14dt2te1c/EXP=1325231912/**https%3A//www.facebook.com/photo.php%3Ffbid=10150465180534028%26set=a.10150465180529028.386827.552079027%26type=1%26theater), and it soon spread like wildfire — as did the controversy that followed.

Many Yahoo! Singapore readers were outraged at the message, with some saying it was wrongly-worded and others taking great offence, angered that Singaporeans seem to have been taken as a source of “income”.

Commenting on a post of the picture, user Lucilla Teoh wrote, “Totally unethical to call it an ‘income opportunity’. A simple announcement to say that taxis will be needed will suffice.”

Another user Aaron Ang added, “This is seriously going over the line. What are they taking Singaporeans for? Are we just dollar bills? … Income opportunity, really?”

Several others, however, said that it was good that taxi drivers were being alerted to the immediate need for cabs in affected areas around the island.

User Jen Jen Lee wrote, “(It’s) just the language problem, I think — otherwise, it’s fine. Without this message, those waiting for cabs can’t get to where they want to go.”

Reader Veronica Tang said, “I really didn’t think there’s anything wrong. First, it’s Carpe Diem in its brightest display. Second, people still need transport to get home. No problem. Everyone benefits.”

ePeng Tan pointed out, “This is the power of teamwork and information-sharing. Economically, it is the best distribution of resources.”

The controversy comes just days after SMRT Taxis announced plans to increase flagdown fares, meter fares and waiting time charges next Tuesday. The move is in line with similar fare changes announced by Comfort Delgro's own taxi fleet.

nothing wrong with the messenging ?
come on singaporeans ...

dont be so naive

hyenergix
16-12-11, 16:24
The CEO of SMRT must step down.

ysyap
16-12-11, 16:32
come on singaporeans ...

dont be so naiveNothing wrong with the message if you are the taxi driver or a bystander watching the entire saga but if you are that person who has to pay more for a taxi ride to the very same company that caused you an hour of precious time trapped inside the train through no fault of yours, then something is wrong... One man's meat is another man's poison! Taking a taxi from another company is ok but not from SMRT... :scared-3:

Lovelle
16-12-11, 16:32
JUST IN !!

IT's TIME TO STEP DOWN

SINGAPORE - Facing the media for the first time since SMRT experienced one of its worst rail disruptions to date, SMRT CEO Saw Phaik Hwa today apologised to the 127,000 commuters who were affected by the incident yesterday.

On public calls for her and other senior management to resign, Ms Saw said that while she would consider resigning if necessary, she would reserve her opinion on the matter for the time being.

Saying she was "very, very sorry" for the five-hour disruption, Ms Saw said that SMRT had worked very hard to resolve and mitigate the issue, but the incident was extremely complex. However, that was no excuse and she acknowledged SMRT needed to improve on the way it communicated the information to the public, as well as its crowd management measures.

She also stressed that yesterday's incident on the North South line was "completely" unrelated to Wednesday's disruption on the Circle line, and that SMRT has stepped up maintenance schedules even as it has increased its network and operations.

On yesterday's disruption, Ms Saw said that while the issue was resolved by around 9pm, the staff patrolled the entire affected section again to ensure the system was fault-free. "We had to ensure it was truly safe," said Ms Saw, who acknowledged that SMRT will have to do better if such situations occurred again.

hyenergix
16-12-11, 16:37
Waiting to hear...."And if the public wants me to resign, so be it" :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3ERS9VvWV0

kane
16-12-11, 16:39
come on singaporeans ...

dont be so naive

Those people have who think there's nothing wrong with the message have no sense of human decency to be sympathetic to other people's unfortunate plight.

hyenergix
16-12-11, 21:08
What to do? It has happened http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDSDdKFpRQc

Oh come on, let the lady continue to draw her million dollar salary. Need more security? Just ask NSmen to patrol the rails. Train breakdown? Opportunities for the taxis!

mcmlxxvi
16-12-11, 21:10
not any more. who wants to live near an MRT station and have to deal with a huge crowd disgruntled people leaving the station because of a service shutdown? not to mention queues of taxis waiting to fleece these people.

5 mins walk to MRT is best. Not on top, beside or opp it.

hyenergix
16-12-11, 21:13
Minister was talking n CNA news. Very likely someone will be retrenched soon. Watch out for firesale of the owner's house.

richwang
17-12-11, 02:23
SMRT should learn from SIA - the attitude of putting customers first.
The best way is to introduce competition. Mini-bus system is what is missing in the Singapore transportation system. That will introduce competition for MRT and even taxi. It can be implemented within months. Why must everything wait for the next 5 years? (maybe 4 years left.)

I take MRT everyday, most of the people are courtesy. You can even see people line up in Bishan. Giving seats is common. I am often offered a seat due to my grey hairs.

The best line (in terms of passengers) is Circle Line. The worst is from HarborFront to ChinaTown and Little India.

Thanks,
Richard

richwang
17-12-11, 03:19
http://wp.sg/2011/07/overhauling-singapore%E2%80%99s-public-transport-model/

Amazing, it was posted on July 19, 2011.

PAP really need to work harder to keep the thought leadership position.

Thanks,
Richard

DC33_2008
17-12-11, 07:21
MRT train broken down again this morning between Orchard and Marina stn. CEO of SMRT may have to go.

hyenergix
17-12-11, 07:25
MRT train broken down again this morning between Orchard and Marina stn. CEO of SMRT may have to go.

"We are truly sorry about this. I'm very, very sorry about this."

should be changed to

"We are truly sincerely extremely sorry about this. I'm very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, sorry about this."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1171733/1/.html

It's time for her and her directors to go, else Transport Minister's head will be the next to roll in 2016 election.

ysyap
17-12-11, 07:26
This is getting to become like a story in the theatres or movies where what can go wrong will go wrong... Murphy's Law? :scared-4: Heads will roll... heads must roll! But I think MI4 is still nicer to watch.... Hahahaha!

hyenergix
17-12-11, 07:31
I'm of the view that the infrastructures are under-maintained and there are lack of overhauling. After the intensive review of this incident, most likely LTA will be tasked to upgrade the infrastructure, at tax payers' expense. After which MRT ticket prices will go up.

DC33_2008
17-12-11, 07:33
Someone proposes the fine to be used for the maintenance of the infrastructure.;)

stalingrad
17-12-11, 07:34
I think we should consider the possibility that increasing the frequency of trains to increase the capacity of the MRT system is going to put the strains on the rails, causing more and more problems.

Could the problems have been caused by metal fatigue due to the higher frequencies of trains? Is so, should the rails be replaced more often?

or more fundamentally, can the MRT system support the population which may expands to 8 million one day?

hyenergix
17-12-11, 07:37
I think we should consider the possibility that increasing the frequency of trains to increase the capacity of the MRT system is going to put the strains on the rails, causing more and more problems.

Could the problems have been caused by metal fatigue due to the higher frequencies of trains? Is so, should the rails be replaced more often?

or more fundamentally, can the MRT system support the population which may expands to 8 million one day?

It is a de-bottle necking and upgrading issue. Basically SMRT just milked the infrastructure inherited from LTA and used it to generate pure cash. I suspect there is very little maintenance done in comparison to the higher frequency of usage.

azeoprop
17-12-11, 08:58
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/track-fault-disrupts-north-south-mrt-line-again.html

:tsk-tsk:

Pro888
17-12-11, 09:06

Now from AMK to Marina Bay.

Taking fat fat pay doing very little. Comfort zone.

Nvr hear her talk b4, but only that time. The only time when she said " it is not crowded, still can squeeze somemore". Comparing to blah blah blah....

As a CEO, can gv such a comment ? Only take consideration to off-peak hours? Only consider SMRT profit which directly tied down to her performance bonus ?

Please F. O.

If my kids stuck in the train, i ll use you head and smash the window. :D

hyenergix
17-12-11, 09:10
It's okay for mechanic system to break down once a while. The problems are the emergency response and the sincerity of the apology. It is a systemic issue that comes from the top management of public transport, not even at the CEO SMRT level.

Pro888
17-12-11, 09:21
It's okay for mechanic system to break down once a while. The problems are the emergency response and the sincerity of the apology. It is a systemic issue that comes from the top management of public transport, not even at the CEO SMRT level.

Hopefully, mrt reinforce a thicker unbreakable glass window and you get stuck inside with all the power gone. :D Wait train crashes???

The 40m cable wldn't breakoff just like tat. It is after prolong period of time. Where are the checks. Come on.

Do you know the main reason for the recent hike in taxi fare??? Do you folks know ???

Pro888
17-12-11, 09:34
Class 95 FM just interviewed a SMRT marketing director or wat.

Good direct hit questions from the DJ.

DJ: With the recent price increase, our listeners wanted to know will there be a price decrease since there is no improvement in the service?

Ans: We will look into it.

so on.................

Lovelle
17-12-11, 09:36
Sorry to say this to smrt shareholder. I think the jap,korean, aus can run the traiin network better than sinkies. Lta pls tender out our netrowk to the world. Let the best talent to run it. Axed those reckless sinkies management

newbie11
17-12-11, 09:41
LKY in his Hard Truth book repeated many times. Reason why many companies are still under Temasek is due to lack of local talents to run them independently. As long as he is around, suh belief will Stay

hyenergix
17-12-11, 09:44
LKY in his Hard Truth book repeated many times. Reason why many companies are still under Temasek is due to lack of local talents to run them independently. As long as he is around, suh belief will Stay

Not so simple.

Pro888
17-12-11, 09:53
It is just a super small network. From East to West, or Marina bay to Jurong east, how long ?Other countries running thousands of kilom.

No standby/ backup power supply? No proper annoucement etc etc......

Those affacted :banghead: :simmering:

azeoprop
17-12-11, 09:59
Together with the orchard road flooding, this is the worst embarrassment to Singapore. :tsk-tsk:

ysyap
17-12-11, 10:10
Train service disruptions have become part of our lifestyles in recent times... :doh:

evergreen
17-12-11, 13:25
We can compare ourselves to the best and also to the worst. I'm grateful for our transportation system here. I came back from Jakarta yesterday. The journey to the airport would take maximum 1.5 hours in smooth traffic. Yesterday (because it was Friday) it took 3.5 hours. I switched to motorbike taxi 3km from airport otherwise it would take 4 hours. I'm relieved to be back in SG.

But that said, if factories can run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, I don't see why our train system which doesn't run 24 hours a day can't run as scheduled when there are so many hours of daily downtime for maintenance.

ysyap
17-12-11, 13:38
make sense... just tune in to what our transport minister has to say later this afternoon... :rolleyes:

zeq
17-12-11, 14:09

of course they r no local talent. Because his pool of talent r scholars. People who are taken as the future of sg. This people route is paved. Do u think they will work hard? There r people who r not scholars but who have potential to become leaders, the govt has ignored them. BEcause they r not scholars. This has happen throughtout the civil service.

ysyap
17-12-11, 14:26
of course they r no local talent. Because his pool of talent r scholars. People who are taken as the future of sg. This people route is paved. Do u think they will work hard? There r people who r not scholars but who have potential to become leaders, the govt has ignored them. BEcause they r not scholars. This has happen throughtout the civil service.Can't agree more.... also, the system has an intrisic problem... these 'scholars' whose career paths are paved are scheduled to climb up the hierarchy very quickly provided they don't screw things up along the way. Such a spectacle simply discourages the others who are not scholars but are even more hardworking.

In their defence, they may argue that civil servants who are hardworking will also be recognised but I have the following two questions...

1. If they are equally hardworking, why is promotion slower?
2. There are only this number of senior management so there is always a restriction to the number of hardworking non scholars to climb up but nearly all, if not all, scholars will climb up... :doh:

DC33_2008
17-12-11, 14:37
They are in an exclusive club and taken care off including their off-springs.

ysyap
17-12-11, 14:47
They are in an exclusive club and taken care off including their off-springs.Me no study hard last time so not scholar... sigh! Otherwise me also join civil service... Lol! :p

mimi301
17-12-11, 15:11
Those people have who think there's nothing wrong with the message have no sense of human decency to be sympathetic to other people's unfortunate plight.

Singaporean sympathetic? You must be kidding....some people here think nothing wrong with "you should ask for seat to be given up if you really need it" ...if most of us think this is acceptable....then what is human decency and sympathetic?

buttercarp
17-12-11, 15:18

According to SMRT, the wrong template was used.
How can there even be a template like this.
Instead of "income opportunity", it should be more sympathetic and say "help required".

DC33_2008
17-12-11, 15:23
This goes to show the mentality of people in smrt. Did u see their ceo with highlighted hair.

Instead of "income opportunity", it should be more sympathetic and say "help required".

buttercarp
17-12-11, 15:26
This goes to show the mentality of people in smrt. Did u see their ceo with highlighted hair.

She looks quite cool.
I quite like her hair style especially with the highlights.
However, I think it is not so suitable for a CEO of SMRT.

DC33_2008
17-12-11, 15:31
No comments:o

DC33_2008
17-12-11, 15:41
Latest:

MRT revenue service on Sunday for the North South-East West Line will only start at 10.00 am after checks are conducted on all trains and tracks.

Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew told a media conference Saturday that the checks will not be completed for normal service to begin at 5.30 am.

SMRT will run free parallel bus services from 5.30 am to 10.00 am.

buttercarp
17-12-11, 15:43
Latest:

SMRT will run free parallel bus services from 5.30 am to 10.00 am.

At least it is complimentary.......

DC33_2008
17-12-11, 15:45
Given no choice with pressure from Lui. :o
At least it is complimentary.......

newbie11
17-12-11, 17:32
I discussed the same question. Perhaps it's used when there are concerts or more apt when other train operators screwed up. Lol.

kane
17-12-11, 17:54
I wonder if they catered enough capacity on the ferry service.

azeoprop
17-12-11, 18:57
It will be a sunday morning, so most probably just some light services at long intervals. I don't think they will cater for normal weekday rush hour capacity.

:p

Lovelle
17-12-11, 19:00
i sympathesized those affected. they must be worried about Mon or everyday from next week

buttercarp
17-12-11, 19:51
Part of Sengkang MRT ceiling fell and hit a man.

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/this_urban_jungle/855372/sengkang.html

buttercarp
17-12-11, 20:13
Heard over the news that is a window cleaner who fell in Sengkang MRT station.

azeoprop
17-12-11, 20:17
Looks like our mrt is falling apart. :scared-4:

buttercarp
17-12-11, 20:24
Looks like a bad day for SMRT.
An SMRT shuttle bus apparently hit a motorcyclist.

http://forums.vr-zone.com/chit-chatting/1876982-smrt-free-shuttle-bus-hit-motorcyclist.html

ysyap
17-12-11, 20:36
Other than telling people that there'll be delay in train services on Sunday morning, what else did Mr Lui say?

ysyap
17-12-11, 20:37
Heard over the news that is a window cleaner who fell in Sengkang MRT station.That poor cleaner? Must be a mole planted by opp party?:hell-hath-no-fury:

buttercarp
17-12-11, 20:43
Other than telling people that there'll be delay in train services on Sunday morning, what else did Mr Lui say?

PM Lee on leave but responded by ordering a public enquiry.
Hopefully everything will be ok.....

ysyap
17-12-11, 20:56
PM Lee on leave but responded by ordering a public enquiry.
Hopefully everything will be ok.....Thx for the update.. :spliff: It can only get better from here, isn't it?

devilplate
17-12-11, 21:27
I wonder how much smrt share will drop on mon?

fclim
17-12-11, 22:51
This may be controversial. It's a systemic problem at the national level.

It's our education system. Engineering is not attracting the best brains.

At ITE level, the Normal Technical and those N level students who cannot make it to O levels get streamed off to the ITEs.

At Diploma level, Engineering courses have the worst cut off aggregates.

At University level, the best students opt for medicine, law and Finance/business related courses.

So, no choice but to take in foreign technicians and engineers from neighbouring countries whose education system is inferior to S'pore.

Without good engineers and technicians, more such failures will occur in the future.
This incident is really a catastrophic near miss without any injuries. What if a fire broke out on the trains?

richwang
18-12-11, 00:29
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/12/9-of-the-worlds-best-subw_n_529927.html#s79596&title=So_Paulo_Brazil

Just look at the design of the train, more seats for people, a kind like the bus seat layout. It is the same for Taiwan train. After SMRT managed to increase load factor from 56% to 76% in recent years, you don't have seats to give up in some cars.

We are not even in the top 9.

Not sure whether property next to MRT station can still demand a premium more than a car (or a few cars).

Thanks,
Richard

richwang
18-12-11, 01:03
It is interesting to notice that Medicine/Law/PSC are the only ones who can complete their university study and then serve the army. So they only have a career disruption of BMT.
Why cannot we extent this schema to engineering, chemistry, biology and eventually all fields? Kids get to complete their education first, and army get better educated workforce. Isn't it win-win?
I've served the Chinese army for 4 years, the most useful part is still BMT. No wonder Taiwan has recently shortened their NS from 1 year to 4 months. (It used to be 3 years some time back). They are eventually going for full volunteering professional army.
Army is a real profession. I am so shocked to know the commanding officer in Singapore can be just 1 or 2 years older than the NS men. In China, you need to earn a military commanding degree before you can lead others. Singapore should send more people to West Point to learn.

http://www.dean.usma.edu/ "West Point Ranked Top Liberal Arts College Again"

Thanks,
Richard
PS. Sorry for the off topic, my son is getting into army Jan 31, 2012. After hearing more and more unpublished stories, I start to get panic now. Most of the forumers have younger kids, I sincerely hope things will get leap better for your kids.

richwang
18-12-11, 01:31
http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/green-living/free-ride-the-five-best-mass-transit-systems-worldwide/1095?image=5

Hong Kong is top of the list. So I am sure Singapore can learn and improve the train system here fundamentally.

I will hold my SMRT share (at the risk of delisting) and my MM next to MRT station (don't want to join the fire sale, and still believe the rental demand.)

Thanks,
Richard

hyenergix
18-12-11, 06:12
It is interesting to notice that Medicine/Law/PSC are the only ones who can complete their university study and then serve the army. So they only have a career disruption of BMT.
Why cannot we extent this schema to engineering, chemistry, biology and eventually all fields? Kids get to complete their education first, and army get better educated workforce. Isn't it win-win?
I've served the Chinese army for 4 years, the most useful part is still BMT. No wonder Taiwan has recently shortened their NS from 1 year to 4 months. (It used to be 3 years some time back). They are eventually going for full volunteering professional army.
Army is a real profession. I am so shocked to know the commanding officer in Singapore can be just 1 or 2 years older than the NS men. In China, you need to earn a military commanding degree before you can lead others. Singapore should send more people to West Point to learn.

Thanks,
Richard
PS. Sorry for the off topic, my son is getting into army Jan 31, 2012. After hearing more and more unpublished stories, I start to get panic now. Most of the forumers have younger kids, I sincerely hope things will get leap better for your kids.

If your son is involved in patrolling of the MRT facilities, then it should be quite safe... Best is to avoid overseas UN missions.

hyenergix
18-12-11, 06:51
Immediate damage: 7 trains damaged, power rails damaged, image damaged, extra free shuttle buses deployed, extra manpower deployed

Follow-up: external experts to investigate, damaged trains to be repaired, more disruptions to check and repair the tracks, increase in maintenance costs, PRs to repair image, compensation package to ex-CEO, slow-down in economy resulting in less rental and advertising income

Conclusion: PTC will approve ticket price increase because of SMRT lower profit or losses. I project commuters will have to pay significantly more for tickets by the end of 2012 or early 2013.

MRT breakdown: 7-hour outage, 7 trains damaged
Latest disruption affects 94,000 commuters; technical fault appears similar to Thursday's
http://www.straitstimes.com/The-Big-Story/The-Big-Story-3/Story/STIStory_746305.html

By Royston Sim

SMRT's third disruption in four days on Saturday affected more trains and lasted longer than Thursday's shutdown on the North-South Line, crimping the start of many people's weekend.

The breakdown spanned seven hours and damaged seven trains.
About 94,000 commuters were affected, compared with 127,000 who had to endure Thursday's five-hour shutdown.
Related Links

Seven damaged trains (http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/pdf/20111217/ST_IMAGES_MRTBREAKDOWN.pdf)

The technical troubles appeared to be similar. The fault was again traced to a misalignment of the track and 'collector shoes', which are special components on the trains that draw power from it.

The dislocation disrupted services across 12 stations from Ang Mo Kio to Marina Bay in various stages between 6.50am and 1.48pm on Saturday.

SMRT's senior vice-president for communications and services, Mr Goh Chee Kong, told The Sunday Times that two sections of the third rail between Newton and Orchard stations were damaged - about 12m to 15m in all. The third rail is fixed alongside the tracks and collector shoes glide under it, picking up electrical power to keep the train moving.

Trains between Orchard and Marina Bay in both directions stopped running at 6.50am on Saturday, and by 8.50am, the disruption had spread to Ang Mo Kio.

Northbound trains began running from Raffles Place to Jurong East, albeit at longer intervals, from about 9am, and southbound train service was gradually restored from 10.55am.

The entire line was up and running again by 1.48pm.

Again, SMRT apologised to commuters for the inconvenience caused and said it was 'working round-the-clock' to fix the damage.

Passengers in six of the seven damaged trains could get off at station platforms. Those in the seventh train, which stalled between Orchard and Somerset stations at 6.50am, had to walk about 150m in the tunnel to get out.

According to SMRT, the 500 commuters inside were guided to leave the train at 7.20am and they reached Somerset station by 7.33am.
As with Thursday's incident, the operator recalled more than 300 employees to help with the situation. It also launched its Twitter account on Saturday and put up regular updates.

About 80 buses also helped ferry affected passengers. And SMRT also began running more Circle Line trains, once every three minutes, compared with the usual four to five minutes during peak hours.

Still, the disruption grated on the nerves of many.

Bank officer Diana Chew, 24, was 45 minutes late for work at Toa Payoh because of the breakdown.

She said: 'It wasn't so uncomfortable because the lights and air-conditioning were working, but I'm still upset because I was very late. There is no point in SMRT apologising. They need to fix it once and for all.'

Commuter Serene Tan found that her usual seven-minute train ride from Braddell to Newton took an hour on Saturday by taxi.

She had gone into Toa Payoh station after being informed by announcements that the trains were running, but twice, she had to leave carriages when they failed to start.

'SMRT's misleading announcements caused many to continue to wait for the train, only to be disappointed,' she said.

On Wednesday morning, Circle Line service was disrupted for 40 minutes because of a communication network problem.

[email protected] ([email protected])

hyenergix
18-12-11, 06:58
LTA is in denial mode.

SMRT checklist maintenance method failed. Din do proper management of change when frequency and load increased significantly in recent years. Technical director should be fired.

Typical of P** to shift blame. LTA din properly audit or get external consultant to audit SMRT operation.

MRT breakdown: Checks carried out regularly, says LTA
But a thorough 'health check' is needed to identify root cause of latest rail disruptions
http://www.straitstimes.com/The-Big-Story/The-Big-Story-3/Story/STIStory_746309.html

By Maria Almenoar, Transport Correspondent

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said on Saturday that there is no reason to believe that train operator SMRT has not been conducting proper checks and maintenance of its rail system.

Both the third rail of the track that supplies power and the trains' collector shoes are subject to regular maintenance, it explained in a press conference on Saturday.

On Thursday, five trains had their shoes wrecked and a 40m section of the rail between City Hall and Dhoby Ghaut stations was damaged.

On Saturday, initial investigations uncovered the same problem. Two sections - some 12m to 15m - of the third rail between Newton and Orchard stations was damaged and shoes of seven trains were ruined.

The shoes, which are subject to wear and tear because they rub constantly against the third rail, are checked to see if there is enough carbon in them, said Mr Chua Chong Kheng, LTA's group director of Thomson and existing lines.

Similarly, SMRT does daily visual checks on different sections of the track, including third rails, and regularly uses 'multi-function vehicles' that do an automated check of the alignment between the third rail and the track.

'As part of regulating, we make sure that they do all the inspections and maintenance checks, and at this time we are satisfied that they have done so,' said Mr Yeo Teck Guan, LTA's deputy group director for vehicle and transit licensing.

LTA also said the introduction of more frequent train trips should not make it more difficult for operators to maintain their fleet.

Operators should size their fleet to take into account the need to pull some trains out of service to do both short-term and long-term maintenance work, it added.

This means that an operator should have enough time for maintenance, even with the introduction of more trains on the system.

'There will be enough time and facilities, in our view, for both the operators to maintain their trains,' confirmed Mr Chua.

Still, not knowing what caused two separate but similar incidents on the train network in the last two days is worrying the authorities.

'What we need to do is do a thorough health check on the system as quickly as possible, because there is some instability in the system,' said Minister for Transport Lui Tuck Yew, who chaired the press conference.
This is so that obvious faults can be sighted and rectified to prevent more incidents happening, he said.

After trains ended their revenue service last night, LTA and SMRT engineers began their 'health check' on the system.

They combed 93km of the North-South and East-West tracks looking for anomalies. This included checking to see if all the brackets holding the third rail at regular intervals were properly secured.

All 106 trains, including 14 new ones only recently handed over to SMRT, were also checked for any damaged collector shoes.

These shoes are metal contact blocks on either sides of the trains that gather power from the third rail that sits alongside the tracks.

Tackling a wide range of issues during the press conference, Mr Lui said that a similar 'health check' on the North-East (NEL) and Circle Lines (CCL) was not necessary because incidents on these lines have not increased in the last year.

On the NEL, there were four incidents in the first 10 months of the year compared to three in the same period last year.

For the CCL, there had been no increase this year from the eight incidents registered in the first 10 months of last year.

He also said that recent disruptions to the CCL, including Wednesday morning's 40-minute breakdown, are likely to be due to the introduction of stages 4 and 5 of the line on Oct 8.

'I think we will have to accept that every time we open a new section of the rail network, it will take a number of months before it stabilises,' he said.

On public confidence in the MRT system, he said it will take a period of time before it is restored.

'Over the years, the train system has acquired a very good reputation, both locally and internationally, and I think that there has been more than one instance where international journals and commentators have actually said very good things about the MRT system here,' he noted.

'The operators, particularly SMRT, will have to work hard to restore service to the level that we expect it to be. And LTA will come in to work hand-in-hand with the operators.'

[email protected] ([email protected])

ysyap
18-12-11, 07:02
While we can accept that checks were conducted regularly, we cannot be sure if they are conducted thoroughly! :spliff:

ysyap
18-12-11, 07:05
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/12/9-of-the-worlds-best-subw_n_529927.html#s79596&title=So_Paulo_Brazil

Just look at the design of the train, more seats for people, a kind like the bus seat layout. It is the same for Taiwan train. After SMRT managed to increase load factor from 56% to 76% in recent years, you don't have seats to give up in some cars.

We are not even in the top 9.

Not sure whether property next to MRT station can still demand a premium more than a car (or a few cars).

Thanks,
RichardNo worries... MRT station will always be in demand. These disruptions will not deter commuters from getting into the train again. A car cost some $100k = between 50 000 to 100 000 rides on the train = about 100 years of taking the train... :D That $100k car only last 10 years.

hyenergix
18-12-11, 07:05
While we can accept that checks were conducted regularly, we cannot be sure if they are conducted thoroughly! :spliff:

Because the checklist din include checking the power rail...

ysyap
18-12-11, 07:07

Thanks,
Richard
PS. Sorry for the off topic, my son is getting into army Jan 31, 2012. After hearing more and more unpublished stories, I start to get panic now. Most of the forumers have younger kids, I sincerely hope things will get leap better for your kids.You are a nice father... do not worry too much. Army toughens a person in many sense of the word and it has since improved in all sense of the word since its harsh beginnings in the 60s. ;)

hyenergix
18-12-11, 08:10
From the photos in ST how the carbon plates were worn off, it is very clear that maintenance was very minimal and superficial. Only an idioit will miss it. A lot of heads in SMRT will roll.

phantom_opera
18-12-11, 08:14
visual check, how reliable that can be :tongue3: smrt share crash pain pain Monday to 1.6

DC33_2008
18-12-11, 09:35
May be due to mrt train parts from China. Heard from lift servicemen that lifts made in china breakdown more often in hdb flats as compared to the branded ones.

fclim
18-12-11, 10:00
The Minister is dead wrong. A complete check of the entire MRT, including NEL and Circle line must be done. The reasons why NS line failed is not entirely clear right now, so how can he make such conclusions? We know what failed, but not why they failed.

Before this week, the NS line was also running okay wat. So, few incidents on NEL doesn't mean there will be NO incidents.

A technical problem is more serious than a communication lapse. One only leaves you frustrated whilst the other can KILL you.

azeoprop
18-12-11, 10:20
I don't mind they provide free shuttle bus forever.... :D

newbie11
18-12-11, 10:24
heard it is down again

flagship74
18-12-11, 10:43
heard it is down again

yeah..hearsay the smrt buses are kapu liao..:doh:

hyenergix
18-12-11, 15:03
By the way, who built the Cityhall link with the shop spaces? My understanding is LTA built it and rent to SMRT at a nominal rent. Something is very wrong if the cost is to e public but profit to e SMRT management and shareholders. Pls correct me if I'm mistaken.

The entire GLC system should come under review by P**. But first let's wait for the incident and M's pay reviews. The government is really in a mess now. If these r not handled well, 2016 election year will result in more lost seats to e opposition.

richwang
18-12-11, 20:00
"These tracks have a lifespan of 50 years, and were found to be sound when last checked 10 years ago."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1172066/1/.html

Maybe she can be sued for negligence?

Thanks,
Richard

hyenergix
18-12-11, 20:23
LTA had been sleeping for the past 10 years.

Lovelle
18-12-11, 20:32
By the way, who built the Cityhall link with the shop spaces? My understanding is LTA built it and rent to SMRT at a nominal rent. Something is very wrong if the cost is to e public but profit to e SMRT management and shareholders. Pls correct me if I'm mistaken.

The entire GLC system should come under review by P**. But first let's wait for the incident and M's pay reviews. The government is really in a mess now. If these r not handled well, 2016 election year will result in more lost seats to e opposition.

2016 will be worse then 2011. See cm5 , are u happy ?

kane
18-12-11, 20:34
"These tracks have a lifespan of 50 years, and were found to be sound when last checked 10 years ago."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1172066/1/.html

Maybe she can be sued for negligence?

Thanks,
Richard

at what intervals are the tracks checked?

Lovelle
18-12-11, 20:41
at what intervals are the tracks checked?

Ah Lui just said, there is no particular timeframe that the tracks are checked but last done was 10yrs ago

hyenergix
18-12-11, 20:55
2016 will be worse then 2011. See cm5 , are u happy ?

Neutral about CM5. It affects mainly foreigners and CCR, and tames developers' appetite for high land prices.

The next critical infrastructure to be tested is our power supply, particularly PowerSeraya and Tuas Power. Strangely both were built using tax-payers money but transferred to Temasek Holdings that later sold them to foreign companies, and kept the cash for itself.

hyenergix
18-12-11, 20:57
SMRT CEO refused to step down as of tonight. Either she loses her seat or P** loses its seats (in 2016). Something deep in GLC structure went wrong.

Regulators
18-12-11, 20:58
Smrt's management very laxed and security sibeh jialat. Imagine ji terrorist planting bombs on trains instead of just scribbling graffiti on the trains. The ceo sibeh guai lan, should just sack her

mcmlxxvi
18-12-11, 22:04
Ms Saw is established Tai Chi practitioner and President of some international Tai Chi association it seems. Wonder if she will do a tai chi move and push the blame on anyone but herself...

Laguna
18-12-11, 22:04
SMRT CEO refused to step down as of tonight. Either she loses her seat or P** loses its seats (in 2016). Something deep in GLC structure went wrong.

When she was appointed years back, market was wondered, how did this woman got this post after she was asked to go from DFS...

Finally she proved the market is right

mcmlxxvi
18-12-11, 22:20
When she was appointed years back, market was wondered, how did this woman got this post after she was asked to go from DFS...

Personally find it really trying to find the link between heading DFS and running a public transport company.

solsys
18-12-11, 22:25
To the folks of PAP, SMRT shareholders, SMRT CEO has outlived her usefulness now that the retail shops are earning good rental and the ground staff knows how to get it going.

You guys need a scapegoat just like the NKF saga, do what you need to do to appease the public or face the wrath of bangla workers who can't make it to their constructions worksites on time!

To SMRT CEO: better to resign than to be retrenched second time after DFS!

Komo
19-12-11, 05:30
Personally find it really trying to find the link between heading DFS and running a public transport company.
rather skeptical if she can fix the problem too or just put some cosmetic:(

hyenergix
19-12-11, 05:51

In Singapore, guan xi counts. But this is not a simple issue. A lot of people are accountable:

SMRT Board of Directors and shareholders for pushing SMRT to focus on profit rather than providing critical transportation service

LTA for (1) not auditing the company and allowing the company to autopilot, (2) building infrastructure at tax-payers expense and pass over to or rent to SMRT at nominal rent, (3) forcing the company to overload the trains without advanced planning, (4) slapping SMRT with only minimal fines without putting the company under observation for a series of incidents (recall domino effect).

She is just a symbol of the above failures. It is not entirely her fault but as a CEO with extravagant pay, she has to bear bulk of the blame.

phantom_opera
19-12-11, 08:47
SMRT share fell ... it may fall further after LTA's investigation.

proud owner
19-12-11, 08:52
Nothing wrong with the message if you are the taxi driver or a bystander watching the entire saga but if you are that person who has to pay more for a taxi ride to the very same company that caused you an hour of precious time trapped inside the train through no fault of yours, then something is wrong... One man's meat is another man's poison! Taking a taxi from another company is ok but not from SMRT... :scared-3:

they said its a misused on template ..

come on ... on what occasion did they create that template bearing the heading :
money making opportunity ?

on what other occasion did they sent out using that template ?

proud owner
19-12-11, 08:57

and only his family members and friends are capable ??

like Mdm Ho ? and this smrt butch ( i heard shes a butch) who drives a ferrari ( ??)
are friend of Mdm Ho ..

avo7007
19-12-11, 08:58

The writing is on the wall . After the committe's report is out and after some more wayang she will be gone. But not before getting more $$$ for stepping aside.:)

proud owner
19-12-11, 09:00
From the photos in ST how the carbon plates were worn off, it is very clear that maintenance was very minimal and superficial. Only an idioit will miss it. A lot of heads in SMRT will roll.

history has shown that ...many times... the heads of the lowest rank roll as well ...

proud owner
19-12-11, 09:04
The writing is on the wall . After the committe's report is out and after some more wayang she will be gone. But not before getting more $$$ for stepping aside.:)

or trying to delay past dec 2011 to get her bonus first then leave it to the deputy to clear the shxt ..

devilplate
19-12-11, 09:07
how come smrt share drop abit only....zzzzzzzzzz

i expect below 1.7 leh

proud owner
19-12-11, 09:10

i expect below 1.7 leh

becos theres support mah ...from singaporeans who still think : Money making opportunity was meant for them

phantom_opera
19-12-11, 09:12

i expect below 1.7 leh

ppl still bet that LTA will not suggest to overhaul the system mah ..

devilplate
19-12-11, 09:14
sian i wana buy some one lor.....no opportunity :(

phantom_opera
19-12-11, 09:14
sian i wana buy some one lor.....no opportunity :(

dun worry it will come, Dow has chance to go below 11k still .... trading range play

although down 3-4%, the volume may go very high today, signaling further downside to come ... so far already high 3 month average volume

gn108
19-12-11, 09:34
Multiple issues here...

Maintenance/Cap Expenditure: SMRT wants profits, so lax on this.
Fact: They found those 'shoes' dislodge after LTA goes in. How can you not spot these things on the floor or missing on the trains?

LTA : No audits on this guys or just wayang-wayang.

Rolling stock: Already the system is very old - due for a capital upgrade.
They have just layered improvement over improvement in old infrastructure.

Reasoning: Over-crowding, so just increase frequency. Increased frequency leads to stress on rolling-stock.

Quentions: So why the over-crowding (Govt must answer)
Why the new lines (CCL) only have 3 carriages if population set to increase? DTL also less carriages than the EW/NS lines.

Laguna
19-12-11, 09:36
more questions
they should reveal how sound in the investment in the new lines...and what happens to the plan of ERL? just mention ERL is complicated? what ?

proud owner
19-12-11, 09:40
Multiple issues here...

Maintenance/Cap Expenditure: SMRT wants profits, so lax on this.
Fact: They found those 'shoes' dislodge after LTA goes in. How can you not spot these things on the floor or missing on the trains?

LTA : No audits on this guys or just wayang-wayang.

Rolling stock: Already the system is very old - due for a capital upgrade.
They have just layered improvement over improvement in old infrastructure.

Reasoning: Over-crowding, so just increase frequency. Increased frequency leads to stress on rolling-stock.

Quentions: So why the over-crowding (Govt must answer)
Why the new lines (CCL) only have 3 carriages if population set to increase? DTL also less carriages than the EW/NS lines.

the subway in NYC is probably 50 yr old ...or more

they are noisy .. but very efficient
they run 24 hrs ... unlike spore's MRT

there are like A C F N S 1 2 3 etc tracks ,some running parallel, stops at different streets ..they close sections of the tracks every now and then for checks / repairs ...

While our MRT doesnt operate 24 hrs ... i would have thought, the tracks are inspected EVERY night after the service stop ... BUT ITS NOT ..

NEXT QUESTION .. DO WE CHECK OUR SQ PLANES ?

and yet

phantom_opera
19-12-11, 09:45
SMRT = Tummysick company = profit must be decent = cut corner = service sucks

If their physical security so poor, you can imagine how is their IT security, if hackers hack into the system and trains collide ....:scared-1:

azeoprop
19-12-11, 10:39
SMRT = Tummysick company = profit must be decent = cut corner = service sucks

If their physical security so poor, you can imagine how is their IT security, if hackers hack into the system and trains collide ....:scared-1:

Good plot for Die Hard 5 movie haa haa... :scared-4:

azeoprop
19-12-11, 10:40
So now can only travel 40km/h in the city sections of the rail, means fare also 1/2 price? :D

Pro888
19-12-11, 10:55
So now can only travel 40km/h in the city sections of the rail, means fare also 1/2 price? :D

They have their limitations, we have our limitations too.

Recent taxi fare hike to increase taking for the drivers ?? Fat hope. Without increasing their revenue, how to increase the rental. A gap must be maintain.

august
19-12-11, 10:56

not likely, these people too greedy.

phantom_opera
19-12-11, 10:58
I am surprised Worker Party has not made a big fuss out of it ... so easy target this time, they can TCSS easily

avo7007
19-12-11, 11:03

Actually train frequency will drop, ridership will reduce, and not to mention maintainence cost will increase. So SMRT need to increase fare.:)

azeoprop
19-12-11, 11:12
Time to have competing rail companies offering parallel services like in Japan. :rolleyes:

phantom_opera
19-12-11, 11:13
do u guys know how efficient is Japan rail system? if someone commiting suicide by jumping into track ... a robot will clean it up in 2 minutes ... rail service continues

mcmlxxvi
19-12-11, 11:27
I am surprised Worker Party has not made a big fuss out of it ... so easy target this time, they can TCSS easily
Have anyone wondered it could well be a well timed sabotage act?

august
19-12-11, 11:28
Actually train frequency will drop, ridership will reduce, and not to mention maintainence cost will increase. So SMRT need to increase fare.:)

wow! :eek:

mcmlxxvi
19-12-11, 11:31
they said its a misused on template ..

come on ... on what occasion did they create that template bearing the heading :
money making opportunity ?

on what other occasion did they sent out using that template ?
Darn stupid answer. I was rolling my eyes off when Lui said that.

mcmlxxvi
19-12-11, 11:34
rather skeptical if she can fix the problem too or just put some cosmetic:(
Oh ya! DFS carry lots of branded cosmetics what... Why she never use... Or too lazy to use. Like how lazy to audit the company operations...

mcmlxxvi
19-12-11, 11:36
do u guys know how efficient is Japan rail system? if someone commiting suicide by jumping into track ... a robot will clean it up in 2 minutes ... rail service continues
Are you serious... Am picturing the cute cleaner bot from Wall-E

richie$$$
19-12-11, 11:49
Bored? Many posts on MRT. Let it b. This is a property forum

azeoprop
19-12-11, 13:17

So value of properties along the old and poorly maintained NS and EW lines will suffer? While those along the sbstransit managed NE line will boom? :rolleyes:

mcmlxxvi
19-12-11, 13:26
So value of properties along the old and poorly maintained NS and EW lines will suffer? While those along the sbstransit managed NE line will boom? :rolleyes:
Yayyyyyy!!!!!

buttercarp
19-12-11, 13:29

Property price is affected by MRT.
So mrt news is property news too.

Lovelle
19-12-11, 13:45
yo

whole entire sg property will be affected due to investor confidence over our infrastructure. Ranking will dropped and negative news are everywhere.

seriously ,who want to put the money here...think we shld look for the next country to put our money on in next 5 years..

here start to be chaotic now..

mcmlxxvi
19-12-11, 18:47
This evening rush hour breakdowns again. Now EW line kena also... Good things come in droves I guess. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1172232/1/.html

evergreen
19-12-11, 19:18
I left office before rush hour. Didn't wait long for the train. Not crowded like it usually is. Managed to get a seat. Heard trains stalled again after that. I am lucky to have escaped :cheers1:
Not going office tomorrow :sleep:

kane
19-12-11, 20:40
if only i can work from home until they solve this MRT problem.

ysyap
19-12-11, 20:45
People say marriage got 7 yr itch... MRT got 24 yr itch... now all the problems seem to come at one go.. wow..;)

rattydrama
19-12-11, 21:07
mrt stock is set to go south with the departure of the CEO sooner or later.... MRT will have to review their priorities for sure and maintenance cost is going to go up definitely.... probably there will be a one off maintenance cost to change the damaged parts and upgrade all related systems.

back to basic.....:-)

Komo
19-12-11, 21:08
guess we will all be laughed at now:(
henceforth no one will talk about having world class transport liao:( :(

ysyap
19-12-11, 21:08
mrt stock is set to go south with the departure of the CEO sooner or later.... MRT will have to review their priorities for sure and maintenance cost is going to go up definitely.... probably there will be a one off maintenance cost to change the damaged parts and upgrade all related systems.

back to basic.....:-)Tot the CEO said she's not stepping down? :confused:

mcmlxxvi
19-12-11, 21:10
if only i can work from home until they solve this MRT problem.
Year end festive holiday season why still working??

rattydrama
19-12-11, 21:11
guess we will all be laughed at now:(
henceforth no one will talk about having world class transport liao:( :(

simply, need an engineering person to understand engineering problems. Otherwise, it is ignored and run to fail....sounds familiar?

rattydrama
19-12-11, 21:12
Tot the CEO said she's not stepping down? :confused:

she is not in control right now. keep saying sorry.. I am ssssssorry just look bad on her.

ysyap
19-12-11, 21:18
she is not in control right now. keep saying sorry.. I am ssssssorry just look bad on her.She need to endure till the year end bonus is given.. otherwise she'd forfeit so much... Lol!:banghead:

Komo
19-12-11, 21:19
at least north-south has even got a backup line coming up. this will definitely sell now:D prices can only go north!:D

kane
19-12-11, 22:03
Year end festive holiday season why still working??

no choice lah.

evergreen
19-12-11, 22:05
She is like one of those people who sit on the reserved seat and refuse to get up even if people give them the dirty look, ask them to give up the seat, or take pictures of them to post online. They wont move and nothing can shame them.

rattydrama
19-12-11, 22:29
from what I understand, if own self resign you get nothing. However, if the board retrench or terminate her service, she will get whatever stipulated in the contract and more.

surely will tahan until that day.

evergreen
19-12-11, 22:42
Millions and millions in bonuses or retrenchment benefits to reward failure. Then find another job to repeat the cycle of failure.Shareholders shouldmdump the shares of such companies to show that such nonsense would not be tolerated

august
19-12-11, 23:21
from what I understand, if own self resign you get nothing. However, if the board retrench or terminate her service, she will get whatever stipulated in the contract and more.

surely will tahan until that day.

behind the scene they can "coax" her to do the resignation but arrange to "park" her in another GLC later.

hyenergix
20-12-11, 07:20
NEL just broke down :doh:

Now LTA is in trouble.

kane
20-12-11, 07:34
Broke down or train delay?

hyenergix
20-12-11, 07:39

Signalling system broken down from what I gathered in EDMW forum. This resulted in slow train. Recall in China that a failed signalling system caused a fatal crash.

Both SMRT and SBS Transit are having problems with their MRT operations. Most likely both did not maintain their system well. Note NEL has relatively less serious problem as it is fairly new.

The root cause is LTA's policies, monitoring and review framework for its rail operators. They were formulated when the population was about 3 million+ but we are heading towards double the number.

ysyap
20-12-11, 07:39
This is getting exciting... a conspiracy theory in the making... sabotage effort like never before... :scared-4:

buttercarp
20-12-11, 07:40

According to one commuter from twitter, he was stuck between outram and harbour front. But has reached his destination, so I guess it must have just been a delay.

kane
20-12-11, 07:42
Signalling system broken down from what I gathered in EDMW forum. This resulted in slow train. Recall in China that a failed signalling system caused a fatal crash.

Both SMRT and SBS Transit are having problems with their MRT operations. Most likely both did not maintain their system well. Note NEL has relatively less serious problem as it is fairly new.

The root cause is LTA's policies, monitoring and review framework for its rail operators. They were formulated when the population was about 3 million+ but we are heading towards double the number.

For such new line and trains, I would imagine the increase load shouldn't be a factor no? Afterall they should have conducted some basic stress test.

hyenergix
20-12-11, 07:44
According to one commuter from twitter, he was stuck between outram and harbour front. But has reached his destination, so I guess it must have just been a delay.

I classify these delays as near-misses (for more serious incidents), which should not be ignored because they are happening with increasing frequencies.

kane
20-12-11, 07:49
I classify these delays as near-misses (for more serious incidents), which should not be ignored because they are happening with increasing frequencies.

Everytime I take the trains, I just hope I don't have to walk the tunnel. I pity the ladies in heels.

hyenergix
20-12-11, 07:50
For such new line and trains, I would imagine the increase load shouldn't be a factor no? Afterall they should have conducted some basic stress test.

NEL was commissioned in 2003, so the specifications and testings would have been done years before 2000. I doubt the planners would have imagined the suddent surge in passenger load from 2005 onwards. Their recommended maintenance schedule (for the sensors) and upgrading (for the computers) would have missed it too. The proof is in the delays.

kane
20-12-11, 07:54
NEL was commissioned in 2003, so the specifications and testings would have been done years before 2000. I doubt the planners would have imagined the suddent surge in passenger load from 2005 onwards. Their recommended maintenance schedule (for the sensors) and upgrading (for the computers) would have missed it too. The proof is in the delays.

Over the years, the fare increases should have gone to some of the systems and equipment enhancements no?

Komo
20-12-11, 08:02
there are so many signs before all these like station indicator wrong direction somemore. they better do something immediately!!!!

hyenergix
20-12-11, 08:13
Over the years, the fare increases should have gone to some of the systems and equipment enhancements no?

The LTA white paper: http://www.lta.gov.sg/corp_info/doc/white%20paper.pdf (page VII) throws some light on the financial responsibilities. You can see that the SMRT incidents could be a result of this policy. Both LTA/MOF and SMRT co-finance 2nd set of operating assets - who is paying for what and how much, and when? A grey area...

buttercarp
20-12-11, 08:35
NEL has resumed service.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1172328/1/.html

SINGAPORE: Train service on the North-East Line (NEL) between Outram Park and HarbourFront Stations were delayed for about 20 minutes on Tuesday morning due to a signalling fault.

Operator SBS Transit said two trains stopped in the tunnel during that time as engineers worked to re-set the system.

During this time, announcements were made to all passengers in the trains and on the platforms.

SBS Transit said its customer service officers were also on hand to assist passengers at all affected stations.

Full service resumed at 8.05am.

SBS Transit apologised for the delay.

- CNA/ck

evergreen
20-12-11, 09:03
SMRT, SBS, LTA, transport minister, PM - all have been sleeping on their job. I am surprised at the transport minister's "disappointment" with SMRT.

ysyap
20-12-11, 09:28
SMRT, SBS, LTA, transport minister, PM - all have been sleeping on their job. I am surprised at the transport minister's "disappointment" with SMRT.By using the word 'disappointment', he basically transferred the responsibility of the recent hiccups onto others lor... Think he'd have preferred to remain as MICA boss... :sleep: Or can we link these series of problems to Raymond Lim? Oops! :scared-3:

august
20-12-11, 09:31
By using the word 'disappointment', he basically transferred the responsibility of the recent hiccups onto others lor... Think he'd have preferred to remain as MICA boss... :sleep:

yeah, passing the buck when LTA is very much responsible too.

Lovelle
20-12-11, 09:41
2016 will be last for him...Rochor and MRT breakdown

ysyap
20-12-11, 09:43
SBS is not doing well themselves either... the recent episode when the bus driver was lost and took the passengers on a 2hr ride and refusing help when help was rendered simply reveals much reviews of the protocols are urgently required.

Also, recently a SBS bus driver braked the bus and an elderly woman fell and knocked her head and still in coma... http://sg.news.yahoo.com/elderly-woman-suffers-head-injury-after-smrt-bus-fall.html

Why when bad things happen, they all come at the same time? :banghead: So what's next?

rattydrama
20-12-11, 12:54
By using the word 'disappointment', he basically transferred the responsibility of the recent hiccups onto others lor... Think he'd have preferred to remain as MICA boss... :sleep: Or can we link these series of problems to Raymond Lim? Oops! :scared-3:

this is one way to manage public unhappiness by saying "disappointment" - I am with you. LOL but they are all involved.. all will have to buck up and do a good work from now to regain public confidence on its emergency plans, evacuation plans, maintenance of equipment, crisis management, preventive maintenance programs, crisis team setup etc, ....

buttercarp
20-12-11, 13:29
SBS is not doing well themselves either... the recent episode when the bus driver was lost and took the passengers on a 2hr ride and refusing help when help was rendered simply reveals much reviews of the protocols are urgently required.

Also, recently a SBS bus driver braked the bus and an elderly woman fell and knocked her head and still in coma... http://sg.news.yahoo.com/elderly-woman-suffers-head-injury-after-smrt-bus-fall.html

Why when bad things happen, they all come at the same time? :banghead: So what's next?

Not SBS bus lah....it was an SMRT bus driver.

LOL....got dog in MRT station.

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/this_urban_jungle/859008/black_dog_takes_a_stroll_on_mrt_platform.html

ysyap
20-12-11, 13:52
Not SBS bus lah....it was an SMRT bus driver.

LOL....got dog in MRT station.

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/this_urban_jungle/859008/black_dog_takes_a_stroll_on_mrt_platform.htmlThere is just no end for SMRT, is there? :banghead:

evergreen
20-12-11, 14:32
yeah, passing the buck when LTA is very much responsible too.

this is one way to manage public unhappiness by saying "disappointment" - I am with you. LOL but they are all involved.. all will have to buck up and do a good work from now to regain public confidence on its emergency plans, evacuation plans, maintenance of equipment, crisis management, preventive maintenance programs, crisis team setup etc, ....
Commuters have been giving them too many "bucks" that's why they keep passing the "buck" when what they really need to do is stop the buck and buck up!

land118
20-12-11, 14:33
saw this from another forum, can't believe my eyes:doh:

"Meet SMRT CEO Saw Piak Hwa, the woman in the hot seat, and her entourage of the "Abercrombie" shirtless greeters!

This photo was taken at the SMRT Dinner & Dance function held 2 months ago at Resort World Sentosa."

hyenergix
20-12-11, 14:59

"Meet SMRT CEO Saw Piak Hwa, the woman in the hot seat, and her entourage of the "Abercrombie" shirtless greeters!

This photo was taken at the SMRT Dinner & Dance function held 2 months ago at Resort World Sentosa."

D&D is fine. People are expected to have crazy fun.

ysyap
20-12-11, 19:43
D&D is fine. People are expected to have crazy fun.But what she didn't know was what followed 2 months later... :scared-3:

land118
20-12-11, 20:46
Expect more breakdowns and delays to come, suspect signs that system is facing fatigue...

In march 2011, SMRT announced more trips per week (see link below) but does more trips follow by more frequent checks, servicing and maintenance...?

http://www.smrt.com.sg/Upload/20113816394813601.pdf

evergreen
20-12-11, 21:21

She wantd to go back to the old way of transportation.
She sit down, everyone else suffers.
Now her dream came true

land118
20-12-11, 21:22
D&D is fine. People are expected to have crazy fun.
Distasteful fun...:doh:

land118
20-12-11, 21:30
Check this out, read from CNA forum:

http://forum.channelnewsasia.com/showthread.php?28439-Saw-hiring-own-%93kakis%94-after-she-became-SMRT-CEO

Saw hiring own “kakis” after she became SMRT CEO
Seems like Temasek Review is back from the grave.

http://www.tremeritus.com/2011/12/20...ecame-smrt-ceo

I would like to bring attention to TRE on the personnel movement of SMRT after CEO Saw Phaik Hwa was brought in. This will shed light on the operational problems faced by SMRT today.

Since these are operational problems, let us start with the Chief Operating Officer.

Yeo Meng Hin is the Chief Operating Officer from 2007 to 2011. From SMRT Annual Report 2010, he was paid SGD970,272 second only to Saw Phaik Hwa who exceeded the million-dollar band. Are we paying for relevant experience?

Before becoming COO, his training ground was in the HR department. Is this considered relevant experience? His education was a Bachelor of Arts (Economics). Is this considered relevant education? How did this person with irrelevant experience become the Chief Operating Officer of SMRT? This one tells it all. He was from DFS, same company as Saw Phaik Hwa. How dare she uses SMRT as a platform to play political games? Now, Singaporeans are paying for this.

Now, from the grapevine (needs more confirmation):

http://forum.channelnewsasia.com/showthread.php?26748-Saw-Paik-Hwa-was-retrenched-by-DFS-before-she-joined-SMRT!/page5

Yeo Meng Hin replaced an IT director with 20 years of experience with his friend from Maybank who was just a Malaysian IT team lead at the bank. This led to massive chaos as the malaysian IT guy wanted to cut cost for everything to the point of cutting half of all the lighting in the IT department. He even insisted anyone who use the toilet must switchoff the light after use leading to embarrassing incident of people stuck in darkness in the loo!

Is Yeo Meng Hin a Malaysian PR? Is this a case of FT-hiring-FT discriminations which Singaporeans have been complaining about? All started with some Singaporean director sitting on the board hiring a Malaysian FT as CEO. Then, CEO hires her own people (also FT) to replace experienced Singaporeans to widen her political base.

I would like the committee of inquiry to investigate the following;

1. How many experienced Singaporean SMRT with operational experience were replaced by people related to Saw Phaik Hwa with irrelevant background or less qualified experience? Political games take place everywhere in large organizations. But when this affects millions of Singaporeans and something as vital as transport, it must be investigated.

2. Is this a case of FT-hiring-FT, FT-replacing-Singaporeans discriminatory practice? I don’t mind Singaporeans being replaced by FT as long as the FT is more qualified. Actually, I am not even sure Yeo Meng Hin is Singaporean citizen. But regardless of whether Yeo Meng Hin is PR or new citizen or citizen who has done NS, this case highlights what happens when the top management is replaced by foreigners. Like all humans, they tend to hire their own people regardless of whether they are good for the company or not. Self-interest always come first.

3. Please justify the past appointments of people who occupied vital operational positions with no operational experience. If the people who were replaced had more relevant experience, please elaborate so that the public knows it is not for political reasons like broadening one’s political support base.

hyenergix
20-12-11, 21:42
It's more on hiring staffs who are experienced in retail and those you know you can work well with and rely on. This explains the focus on retail rather than providing critical transportation for the economy.

land118
20-12-11, 21:56
20 Dec 2011 09:13
*DJ SMRT Downgraded To Sell From Hold By Kim Eng

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

December 19, 2011 20:12 ET (01:12 GMT)

*DJ SMRT Target Cut To S$1.50 From S$1.85 By Kim Eng

phantom_opera
20-12-11, 22:07
if smrt system is hacked resulting in train collision ... heads will roll ... luckily so far they only attract artists who painted their trains

mcmlxxvi
20-12-11, 23:04
Welcome aboard SMRT Sdn Bhd my friends...

land118
20-12-11, 23:16
Check this out, kinda of funny...:D

Hitler is informed that the NSL broke down again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aqxz4cdvhk

land118
20-12-11, 23:33
check this out, read from another forum:

"Does CEO Saw Phaik Hwa have time for SMRT?

SMRT CEO Saw Phaik Hwa is certainly a busy person these days. A quick check on the latest annual report of SMRT reveals that she has already had her hands full running SMRT alone. In the SMRT group alone, she holds directorships on multiple companies inside the group:

* SMRT Corporation Ltd (President & CEO)
* SMRT Trains Ltd
* SMRT Road Holdings Ltd
* SMRT Buses Ltd
* SMRT Automotive Services Pte Ltd
* SMRT Capital Pte Ltd
* SMRT Engineering Pte Ltd
* SMRT Far East Pte Ltd
* SMRT Hong Kong Limited
* SMRT International Pte Ltd
* SMRT Institute Pte Ltd
* SMRT Investments Pte Ltd
* SMRT Light Rail Pte Ltd
* SMRT Taxis Pte Ltd
* Shenzhen Zona Transportation Group Co Ltd

Incredibly, she can still find time to sit on multiple boards of companies and
corporations outside SMRT:

* Director of The Esplanade Co Ltd
* Member of Board – Health Promotion Board
* Member of Board – National Environment Agency
* Member of Board of Trustees – Singapore Management University
* Member of Board of Trustees – Tan Tock Seng Hospital Community Charity Fund
* Member of Baord of Trustees – Youth Business Singapore
* President of Singapore Jin Chuan Tai Chi Chuan Physical Culture Association
* Vice-President on the Executive Committee of the International Wu Style Tai Chi Chuan Federation
* Governor of Internationl body of Wu Tai Chi Chuan Academy
* Thrid Vice-Chairman of Singapore Wushu Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
* Council Member of the Singapore-Guangdong Collaboration Council

She even finds time to be an advisor to the Singapore Life Art Society. Indeed, one wonders how she manages to find time to take care of SMRT own affairs.

Is she doing justice to SMRT for paying her a remuneration of $1.8 million a year?

Kojakbt"

Komo
21-12-11, 05:58
this is because so many things are about to go wrong already and there are so many signs....eg one probably more serious sign is sometimes i can smell something burning on the train.... looks like maintenance and checks is very sloppy or almost not existing. people's life not worth anything? :simmering:

Komo
21-12-11, 06:02
anyone they better review is buses. look at the high frequency and seriousious of the accidents. there are many warning signs!!! :simmering:

stalingrad
21-12-11, 06:47
no wonder COEs are going higher and higher, and gone. need cars to avoid taking MRT and buses.

ysyap
21-12-11, 07:00
no wonder COEs are going higher and higher, and gone. need cars to avoid taking MRT and buses.Taxi fares gone up (only last taxi company not raising fare yet), MRT got frequent failures, bus drivers dangerous (accident at Bishan and then more recently an elderly woman now still in coma) and COE is climbing beyond the reach of a typical Singaporean, how to travel in Singapore? Walking the best lah... even bicycles are not allowed on padestrian roads so riding along vehicle roads is dangerous too... :doh: Let's walk and save the earth! :sleep:

avo7007
21-12-11, 07:08
It all boils down to our population policy planned at the highest level. We are just reaping what they sowed; an unprepared transportation infrastructure that's bursting at its seams.:doh:

phantom_opera
21-12-11, 07:09
how many components stocks from STI are temasek-ctrl?? if not sacrificing the quality of service how to squeeze profit and has growth and pay your cpf 4% :2cents:

but they must find a new balance, the current extremet balance to favor profit over service will be used by WP to win the next election

and pap simply is lacking of enough talents even to form the cabinet ... look at what were the previous transport/housing ministers did

KBW at least doing his job now by having cm4 and cm5 ... Lui cannot afford to be soft in this incident too, he must flex his muscle and punish smrt

ysyap
21-12-11, 07:24
how many components stocks from STI are temasek-ctrl?? if not sacrificing the quality of service how to squeeze profit and has growth and pay your cpf 4% :2cents:

but they must find a new balance, the current extremet balance to favor profit over service will be used by WP to win the next election

and pap simply is lacking of enough talents even to form the cabinet ... look at what were the previous transport/housing ministers did

KBW at least doing his job now by having cm4 and cm5 ... Lui cannot afford to be soft in this incident too, he must flex his muscle and punish smrtThe whole country is now watching what Mr Lui will do to SMRT... heads will certainly roll but whose head? :cool: