PDA

View Full Version : Faces of 2012: Chan Chun Sing - Next PM?

hyenergix
31-12-11, 09:46
From the way the media portrays him, it looks like MG Chan is really going to be the next PM of Singapore. Okay, I support him.

Published on Dec 31, 2011
http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_750523.html

From a young age, Mr Chan Chun Sing has been a high-flier. A President's Scholar at 18, he became Chief of Army at 40. Now, at 42, he is one of the youngest ministers to be appointed to the Cabinet.

This has fuelled talk that the Acting Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS) is a front-runner to become the next prime minister. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong aims to step down by 2020.

While these are early days, observers concur that his performance has been promising. They hail recent MCYS plans - such as more resources to support services for the elderly, initiatives to help the disabled and improving the childcare sector - for delivering welcome government aid. Those who have worked with the Cambridge economics graduate speak of his sharpness in analysing issues.

His portfolio gains special significance next year as a slowdown looms and demand for social aid increases. Mr Chan says he wants to make the social service sector more effective, and to achieve economies of scale while maintaining its 'personal touch'.

Meanwhile, the challenge of winning the support of more critical younger Singaporeans continues. He is making some headway, engaging young Singaporeans and bloggers in informal dialogues to discuss issues ranging from problem gambling to the role of the media.

The year has not been without missteps. An 'army-style' speech, peppered with Hokkien and Malay phrases, at a People's Action Party (PAP) event in April drew derision from netizens. The self-professed introvert says he has had to work at public communications.

Asked about talk that he could be the next prime minister, he demurs. 'Times or circumstances change and you never know what sort of leaders you need. The PAP's job is to groom a group of leaders that is cohesive and when the times change, you have one of them with the necessary skill set and the rest are there to support,' he says. 'No point anointing a crown prince and the rest of the team are not there.'

CAI HAOXIANG

mantrix
31-12-11, 09:57
my friends who used to be classmates with him speak of him as arrogant, very proud and hypocritical. Don't believe what is reported in the Straits Times :)

Personally I don't like him one bit.

acidic.straw
31-12-11, 11:13
We choose our friends differently from the way we choose our leaders. So long as a leader is capable and can run the country well to bring peace and prosperity, I don't really care if he's arrogant or hypocritical. It doesn't matter if I like him or not.

buttercarp
31-12-11, 11:50
We choose our friends differently from the way we choose our leaders. So long as a leader is capable and can run the country well to bring peace and prosperity, I don't really care if he's arrogant or hypocritical. It doesn't matter if I like him or not.

Actually I agree with you.:cheers4:

august
31-12-11, 13:44
will never vote for him..

hyenergix
31-12-11, 14:23
P** testing water with public using this article. If no major opposition and re-elected in 2016, it should be him.

My annual leave is coming to an end soon :( , so are my tcss. Wish everyone here and their family members a healthy and fruitful year in 2012 :)

Eastboy
31-12-11, 22:20
Nope, more likely Tan Chuan Jin.

land118
31-12-11, 22:29
Fire without any smoke, not possible. Was shockEd to see writer stating Chan as front runner...; writer can't be so hero to write tis w/o backing..:scared-4:

Just a few months into job, now writer is saying he will is possible PM..., long way to go., if Chan dare to stand in Aljunied GRC and win, then maybe can sniff the crown, and gain respect from fellow PAP comrades...2cents:

mossyburger
01-01-12, 09:32
Fire without any smoke, not possible. Was shockEd to see writer stating Chan as front runner...; writer can't be so hero to write tis w/o backing..:scared-4:

Just a few months into job, now writer is saying he will is possible PM..., long way to go., if Chan dare to stand in Aljunied GRC and win, then maybe can sniff the crown, and gain respect from fellow PAP comrades...2cents:

Not Tarman?

mantrix
01-01-12, 14:40

a leader in this era needs to be both politically smart and people-smart too. if u want to vote for an asshole many others will perceive him as asshole. cannot relate to common folks cos too lofty. When a leader is not decent human being why vote for him? a role model for ur kids?

agree tan chuan jin is a better choice - intelligent with humility and understanding of the ground

acidic.straw
01-01-12, 15:14
a leader in this era needs to be both politically smart and people-smart too. if u want to vote for an asshole many others will perceive him as asshole. cannot relate to common folks cos too lofty. When a leader is not decent human being why vote for him? a role model for ur kids?

agree tan chuan jin is a better choice - intelligent with humility and understanding of the ground

Arrogance, humility and understanding are at best perceptions...do we really know what a person's character is especially if we do not know them personally? Is what we perceive as humility really humility? How do we know it is not just a deliberate act supported by PR spin?

Even if true, is a humble but not so capable leader better than one that is arrogant but very capable? Would you entrust your life to a humble but not so competent doctor or to one that is arrogant but highly competent?

You agree TCJ is better choice because he is "intelligent with humility and understanding of the ground"? But are these real qualities or perceptions? And do they equate to being a capable leader?

These are questions I ask myself and not meant as a challenge to you or anyone. We each make our world and decisions thru' a complex paradigm of our upbringing, environment, education and experience.

Have a happy and healthy 2012 :cheers4:

mantrix
01-01-12, 15:28
Arrogance, humility and understanding are at best perceptions...do we really know what a person's character is especially if we do not know them personally? Is what we perceive as humility really humility? How do we know it is not just a deliberate act supported by PR spin?

Even if true, is a humble but not so capable leader better than one that is arrogant but very capable? Would you entrust your life to a humble but not so competent doctor or to one that is arrogant but highly competent?

You agree TCJ is better choice because he is "intelligent with humility and understanding of the ground"? But are these real qualities or perceptions? And do they equate to being a capable leader?

These are questions I ask myself and not meant as a challenge to you or anyone. We each make our world and decisions thru' a complex paradigm of our upbringing, environment, education and experience.

:D

you can definitely see and judge for yourself. a truly smart leader will be able to judge how he appears to the general public and their needs, and not get carried away by ego and power. our current PM, while not perfect, has some aspects of that. But someone in his election interview who smirks while making motherhood statements and boasting of his stature? one's achieved position is as much due to their talent as well as luck. a good diplomatic leader will be able to garner support of locals as well as amicable relationships with other countries, instead of antagonizing them. do you believe there is a conspiracy to cloud our perceptions of the real CCS? The choice is ours and i'll stop here.

Happy 2012!

august
01-01-12, 21:03

capable but arrogant means no leadership.
cannot lead means zero in politics, and better to stick to bureacrat job and work for a natural leader who can inspire.

acidic.straw
02-01-12, 08:58
capable but arrogant means no leadership.
cannot lead means zero in politics, and better to stick to bureacrat job and work for a natural leader who can inspire.

In his time, LKY was as arrogant a leader as you can get. No leadership? I think not.:D

august
02-01-12, 09:08
In his time, LKY was as arrogant a leader as you can get. No leadership? I think not.:D

authoritarian & despotic rule require neither capability nor leadership. :)

acidic.straw
02-01-12, 09:15
authoritarian & despotic rule require neither capability nor leadership. :)

Authoritarian rule is also a form of leadership. Situational Leadership calls for different styles at different times. Have a happy & healthy 2012 :cheers4:

august
02-01-12, 09:19
Authoritarian rule is also a form of leadership. Situational Leadership calls for different styles at different times. Have a happy & healthy 2012 :cheers4:

of course, it will just be leadership of the undemocratic kind, e.g. north korea successor, dynastic rule. The cronies won't be complaining too much though. :)

acidic.straw
02-01-12, 16:08
of course, it will just be leadership of the undemocratic kind, e.g. north korea successor, dynastic rule. The cronies won't be complaining too much though. :)

singapore vs n.korea? :doh:

Allthepies
02-01-12, 18:14
We will need another visionary leader to bring our dear Singapore to the next level. We need another LKY kind of visionary leader but unfortunately none is in our midst yet. Pray hard that this person join us soon.....

Allthepies
02-01-12, 18:18

He was a visionary, no doubt about it. We need another to save Singapore from going into mediocre :eek: