PDA

View Full Version : interest rates going up...

radha08
06-01-12, 12:57
todays papers talking about sor rates moving up..plus banks now offering 1.5% pa for years fd...hmm..something cooking...:scared-1:

DKSG
06-01-12, 13:10
todays papers talking about sor rates moving up..plus banks now offering 1.5% pa for years fd...hmm..something cooking...:scared-1:

Which Bank offering 1.5% ? Share leh. Need to put money with this kinda rates.

rick1
06-01-12, 13:15
i also wanna put in 1.5% fd leh..

phantom_opera
06-01-12, 13:20
capital mall trust retail bond 3.8% ... apply now lah ... 1.5% still sucks

rick1
06-01-12, 13:27
put in bond i rather put forex fixed deposits..

Regulators
06-01-12, 13:31
which currency r u stuck in now?

scsc
06-01-12, 13:39

Stuck in SGD loh...:cheers2:

rattydrama
06-01-12, 13:45

can eleborate? I am keen.

radha08
06-01-12, 14:08
Which Bank offering 1.5% ? Share leh. Need to put money with this kinda rates.

sorry i layman failed maths in sch but this what i read...:2cents:

http://www.standardchartered.com.sg/promotion/step-up-promo/index.html

please enlighten me if i am wrong...

rick1
06-01-12, 14:19

i bough 25k aud when they dropped until 0.96 in oct 2008.. LOL now kenna stucked there.. :scared-4:

rick1
06-01-12, 14:20
can eleborate? I am keen.

wait for chance lor.. aud dropped in 2008 i buy in mah.. put in forex FD can earn more interest.. :scared-4:

rattydrama
06-01-12, 14:23
i bough 25k aud when they dropped until 0.96 in oct 2008.. LOL now kenna stucked there.. :scared-4: Happy for you!! Now all time high at 1.3.

rick1
06-01-12, 14:24
Happy for you!! Now all time high at 1.3.

sometimes must be fast and hiong when see good deals.. but current property prices is not good deal liao.. buy liao confirmed kenna depression.. :doh:

radha08
06-01-12, 14:38
No wonder aud so good interest at 5% byt exchange rate 1.3 very risky
I feel....

rattydrama
06-01-12, 14:40
sometimes must be fast and hiong when see good deals.. but current property prices is not good deal liao.. buy liao confirmed kenna depression.. :doh:

No :tsk-tsk: must buy buy buy - encourage the Chinese buyers buying those expensive and bird dont layout areas at min price of 6000psf.

give them free tour to Singapore on first class, 6 stars hotel with fully paid meals/tour.

give citizens 10k pa as nation progress incentive into our posb account every year before CNY. LOL

rattydrama
06-01-12, 14:41
No wonder aud so good interest at 5% byt exchange rate 1.3 very risky
I feel....

no one is buying aud now, i suppose. nzd maybe next best

rick1
06-01-12, 14:49
No :tsk-tsk: must buy buy buy - encourage the Chinese buyers buying those expensive and bird dont layout areas at min price of 6000psf.

give them free tour to Singapore on first class, 6 stars hotel with fully paid meals/tour.

give citizens 10k pa as nation progress incentive into our posb account every year before CNY. LOL

u mai saboh ah tiong lah.. :scared-1:

rattydrama
06-01-12, 14:56
u mai saboh ah tiong lah.. :scared-1:

they have lorries of cash... donate some to SG lah, singaporeans are poor have to pay housing instal and in the end we pay like 30% more with int.

Regulators
06-01-12, 15:19
The step up rubbish stanchart is offering has been around for some time. It is not 1.5% of the whole deposit
sorry i layman failed maths in sch but this what i read...:2cents:

http://www.standardchartered.com.sg/promotion/step-up-promo/index.html

please enlighten me if i am wrong...

scsc
06-01-12, 15:35
The step up rubbish stanchart is offering has been around for some time. It is not 1.5% of the whole deposit

"The average interest rate for the Contractual Tenor is 1.025% p.a. if the Account is held to Account Maturity Date."

wouldn't be 1.5% but still safer, higher than most SGD deposit savings, & having liquidity... actually juz a little bit more.. haha

radha08
06-01-12, 21:50

marketing gimmicks again...:simmering::simmering::simmering:..i thought so

marktkt22
06-01-12, 21:54
btw, got a letter from bank, sibor also up...
Good start ..., at > 5 % sibor, maybe will c some firesale

richwang
07-01-12, 06:35
Housing loan rate in China is now 7%. And you cannot easily get loan for 2nd property.
I know SGD loan rate are mainly pegged to USD. But the world is changing. If you read the latest issue of the Edge, Shanghai stock index is leading the Western stock index by 3-6 months since 2007.
So gradually (maybe in another 5-10 years when RMB is more globalized), SGD will be more influenced by RMB (CNY - domestic RMB, CNH - Hongkong RMB, or will there be CNS - Singapore RMB).

Thanks,
Richard

newbie11
07-01-12, 13:39
buy HPH, Cache.. or many other REITS la.. HPH shld be 8-9% based on current px

richie$$$
07-01-12, 22:32
Do you know that the 3-month SIBOR rate shot up to an astonishing 9.5% in early 1998?
Or that it went to a low of 0.35% sep 2011?

loan amt=$1 million
tenor = 25yrs

interest rate 1.5% mthly instalment $4k
interest rate 9% mthly instalment $8k

mcmlxxvi
07-01-12, 23:22
Do you know that the 3-month SIBOR rate shot up to an astonishing 9.5% in early 1998?

loan amt=$1 million
tenor = 25yrs

6x increase in interest rate, only 2x corresponding increase in monthly outlay... Sap sap suay la. Most owners can hold one... Rental still holding up or even on uptrend... Thanks to cm5.

radha08
08-01-12, 12:02
6x increase in interest rate, only 2x corresponding increase in monthly outlay... Sap sap suay la. Most owners can hold one... Rental still holding up or even on uptrend... Thanks to cm5.

Yup the bank also say thank you they can have more bonus...

teddybear
08-01-12, 14:41
Interest rate 5% also different to see in future, not to say 9% after all the money printing! Just too much cash floating around! :banghead:

loan amt=$1 million
tenor = 25yrs

samsara
08-01-12, 16:09
After the flood of liquidity has served its purpose, the U.S. will need to find a way to mop up all the excess liquidity. The debt levels in Europe and the U.S. are unsustainable in the long run. They will need to find some way of tapping on that enormous liquidity in the financial systems to reduce their debt levels.

Interest rate 5% also different to see in future, not to say 9% after all the money printing! Just too much cash floating around! :banghead:

radha08
08-01-12, 16:19
FYI>>>>latest NTUC going to revise GROWTH plan...

http://thefinance.sg/2012/01/06/ntuc-income-repricing-of-growth-plan/

mcmlxxvi
08-01-12, 16:56
Yup the bank also say thank you they can have more bonus...
Ya la... Contribute to the economy and job creation la. Bear times must give back to society ok... Cannot be selfish.

Rosy
08-01-12, 17:26
anyone apply CMA bond? 3.8% looks good. although we shouldnt buy bonds when int rate is at record low

mcmlxxvi
12-01-12, 09:16
Any bro here know whether possible to refinance when no salary?

I got one mortgage with OCBC stuck at SOR+0.75 before they switched to SIBOR... :(

Rosy
12-01-12, 09:21

I got one mortgage with OCBC stuck at SOR+0.75 before they switched to SIBOR... :(

refinance within the same bank should be fine

kale
12-01-12, 09:34

I thot most loan pkg entitle the mortagagor 1 time free conversion, then it should be FOC

bigapplefan
12-01-12, 21:58
They say some banks may be scrambling to stockpile cash just in case the global banking system seizes up again as it did in 2008 and 2009.

Source: The Straits Times© Singapore Press Holdings Limited. Reproduced with permission

BANKS here, especially foreign ones, are getting into the seasonal spirit by offering higher interest rates on deposits as they usher in Chinese New Year.

But some market watchers say the banks' motives for handing out 'red packets', to gain a share of the deposit pie after bonus season, may be far from festive.

They say some banks may be scrambling to stockpile cash just in case the global banking system seizes up again as it did in 2008 and 2009.

Banking analyst and head of research at CIMB, Mr Kenneth Ng, said: 'There is an aggressive hunt for deposits. Banks are offering rates considerably higher than the Singapore Interbank Offered Rate (Sibor), especially the foreign banks.'

Yesterday, the Sibor - the rate at which banks borrow Singdollars from each other - was 0.3925 per cent. Offering interest rates on deposits higher than Sibor means that banks are paying a premium for the deposits.

Mr Ng said: 'The local banks are still flush with Singdollars, but they may have to try to match their competitors to keep their deposit pool.'

However, DMG analyst Leng Seng Choon believes that there is little danger the banking system will freeze up

'The banks are probably looking to lock in deposits for a longer time frame, which may mean they have a better ability to lend,' he said.

Among the attractive offers even before the Year of the Dragon arrives, HSBC is offering 0.8 per cent and 1 per cent a year for eight and 12-month Singdollar and US dollar term deposits.

Fresh funds of at least $25,000 and up to $5 million in either currency, deposited from now until Feb 29, will enjoy the promotion.

United Overseas Bank (UOB) customers who place an additional sum of $10,000 from now till Feb 29, can enjoy an interest rate of 0.628 per cent a year.

While these rates may sound low - well below inflation - they are significantly higher than regular rates.

UOB also has an offer on a structured deposit, ending on Feb 4, which requires a minimum investment of $80,000 and has a tenor of five years and 11 months. The total minimum guaranteed interest is 6.18 per cent, and there is a up to 6 per cent variable interest at the point of maturity, depending on how five selected Singapore shares perform.

Last week, ANZ Bank launched its Step-Up Time Deposit programme, which allows customers to earn up to 1.5 per cent interest rate, if at least $150,000 is held to maturity of 12 months.

An ANZ spokesman said: 'Despite uncertain economic conditions, ANZ remains one of the strongest banks in the world. We are well-capitalised... So it's really from this position of strength that we're able to serve our affluent customers in Singapore.'

Other than the more favourable interest rates, other Chinese New Year goodies such as abalone are also in store for savers.

DBS Bank has a Dragon Renminbi Plan, which is a five-year yuan-denominated single premium endowment plan. Those who sign up from now till Feb 29, will receive a Dragon year coin set.

At OCBC Bank, the first 1,000 customers who deposit at least $68,000 will receive a two-piece abalone gift set. The first 380 who deposit $368,000 or more, will receive the six-piece abalone set.

Customers stand to win prizes in a lucky draw for every $20,000 deposited in a Savings or Current Account.

Maybank is also giving out an abalone set worth $68 to customers who deposit a minimum of $80,000 of fresh funds in their Privilege Plus Savings Account by Feb 29. Children who place their hongbao money of at least $5,000 into Youngstarz, a junior savings account, will receive shopping vouchers or more cash from the bank.

A Maybank Singapore spokesman said: 'This is the period when employees receive their year-end bonuses and kids get their hongbaos.

'The promotional gifts that Maybank Singapore offers are usually well sought after as it does come in useful for their own consumption or as gifts during this festive occasion.'

[email protected]
Background story
What some banks are offering
HSBC
Enjoy 0.8 per cent and 1 per cent per annum on eight- and 12-month Singdollar and US dollar term deposits.
Fresh funds of at least $25,000 and up to $5 million in either currency, deposited from now until Feb 29, will qualify for the promotion.
UOB
Customers who place an additional sum of $10,000 from now till Feb 29, can enjoy an interest rate of 0.628 per cent a year. The $10,000 can be deposited incrementally throughout the promotional period.
ANZ
Interest rates that increase at the end of every three-month cycle, starting at 0.7 per cent for the first three months, and up to 1.5 per cent for the fourth quarter, if at least $150,000 is held for a 12-month tenor.
Different rates apply for amounts less than $150,000.
OCBC
The first 1,000 customers who deposit at least $68,000 will receive a two-piece abalone gift set. The first 380 who deposit $368,000 or more, will receive a six-piece abalone set.

mcmlxxvi
12-01-12, 22:04
Abalone??? Really. They cant be serious....

DKSG
12-01-12, 23:03
Just met some bankers, both local and foreign banks, they noted that the above freebies are just for market share using A&P funds.

These will only be around for long enough for them to reach a certain market share.

So, do grab their offers while its still available. I am transferring some funds to one of these. Dont u love the free abalones ?!

DKSG
Stay Calm & Cool

bigapplefan
17-01-12, 11:31
Just met some bankers, both local and foreign banks, they noted that the above freebies are just for market share using A&P funds.

These will only be around for long enough for them to reach a certain market share.

So, do grab their offers while its still available. I am transferring some funds to one of these. Dont u love the free abalones ?!

DKSG
Stay Calm & Cool

I got worried when I keep getting smses from banks on higher interest rate for deposits.

i prefer $$, abalone go in the stomach go out the other way nia..:p

Rosy
17-01-12, 11:35
I got worried when I keep getting smses from banks on higher interest rate for deposits.

on the other hand banks are offering 3years fixed at 1.35% currently. To me it is a very good deal.

borrow at 1.35% and invest in some other fixed income:2cents:

mcmlxxvi
17-01-12, 12:00

Agree. I dont have love hate relationship with food. It is mere sustenance.

mcmlxxvi
17-01-12, 12:04
refinance within the same bank should be fine

I thot most loan pkg entitle the mortagagor 1 time free conversion, then it should be FOC

I finally called Oxxx bank... Although i exceed my 3 months after TOP limit for conversion, they still kindly process request for me. However the current package i am on is still better than their others... SOR + 0.8 for 3 years then SOR + 1.00 forever and ever thereafter... Their SIBOR based only + 1.25 thereafter available now... No more the 0.9 option in 2010. So i stayed on and didnt convert.