PDA

View Full Version : A planter question: from the handsome man

blackjack21trader
12-01-12, 10:41
Dear condosing brothers,

I would like to know is it legal to deck up the planter floor and place some coffee tables and chairs on it instead of planting the plants ?

Note: This is a planter and not a balcony.

teddybear
12-01-12, 10:46
Hei Bro, can lah! Just make sure the decking is not fixed dead (can be removed easily) can already. This is call exploiting loop hole mah! (Just like last time cannot rent out whole HDB flats many people still rent our their flat but lock 1 room lor). :D

Dear condosing brothers,

I would like to know is it legal to deck up the planter floor and place some coffee tables and chairs on it instead of planting the plants ?

mantrix
12-01-12, 10:48
Dear condosing brothers,

dear handsome man,

most condos close one eye if you deck up the planter (unless you stay on ground floor) as long as it doesn't change the facade.
Tables and chairs? Then your planter must be very big! Personally i think it is a NO NO - planters are not equipped to hold the weight and also not meant for personal living space (railings also too short for safety)

I seriously doubt your management will allow - even if they do i would not recommend it :2cents:

blackjack21trader
12-01-12, 11:14
Thanks for your quick answers. I am just wondering can a planter sustain a 100kg handsome man ? Otherwise I may just deck it up lor.... the big planter looks kinda stupid naked :

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s297/blackjack21trader/IMG_myplanter.jpg

any ideas what i can do with the big empty space ? I do not want any garden leh.....

:confused:

august
12-01-12, 11:29
turn it into a water feature?

blackjack21trader
12-01-12, 11:31
turn it into a water feature?

that is a very good idea brother ! but the floor is slopped as u can see from the photo. how to level it without using cement ?

blackjack21trader
12-01-12, 11:34
actually i am going to start a DIY project on this planter box after Chinese New Year. do give me some more great ideas because I will be sharing the photos of the Work in Progress of this project with you guys here:) i will do the work every weekend on a snail pace.

teddybear
12-01-12, 11:36
rear some Koi fish? Will look nice, and avoid mosquitoes lava in the water.

actually i am going to start a DIY project on this planter box after Chinese New Year. do give me some more great ideas because I will be sharing the photos of the Work in Progress of this project with you guys here:) i will do the work every weekend on a snail pace.

Jonathan0503
12-01-12, 12:19
rear some Koi fish? Will look nice, and avoid mosquitoes lava in the water.

You mean convert the planter into a pond? Will there be leakage?

Think this definitely will not be approved right?

Actually if we deck up the planter and if it can sustain the weight of a man, then think movable tables and chairs should be ok right, don't think they weigh more than a man

mcmlxxvi
12-01-12, 12:30
Which direction it facing? Does it get any sun?

ysyap
12-01-12, 12:35
Cover it and use it as a balcony... ;) I also don't like to have plants there... :D

gn108
12-01-12, 12:53
Put tekko and dry clothes. Since it's sunken - clothes won't stick out.

Else do a rock garden and even buy a stone art piece and display. Zen and artistic at the same time.

blackjack21trader
12-01-12, 13:14
Which direction it facing? Does it get any sun?

It faces right into the Morning Sun ( East? ) ,brother ! Every morning I can see the shadows of the window grill moves around my room WOAHAHAHAHAHA

blackjack21trader
12-01-12, 13:15
Cover it and use it as a balcony... ;) I also don't like to have plants there... :D

that's my original idea also, brother. however last week, my weight just hit the magic 100kg mark. So i am worried for the safety of my neighbors downstairs leh....WOAAHAHAHAH

maisonjai
12-01-12, 14:34
As teddy mentioned, wooden deck has to be removable. Place some artifical turf grass & practise ur putting skills there. If BCA come knocking on ur door also bo bian have to eat grass. haha

teddybear
12-01-12, 14:39
Ask them to eat your grass then show them that you didn't violate any rule since your planter area still intact (take out the woods and show them)? :p
All these bullshit of free 10% GFA for balcony, planter areas, bay windows, and now big big air-con ledges - should really ask them to eat grass?

As teddy mentioned, has to be removable. Add in some artifical turf grass & practise ur putting skills there. If BCA come knocking on ur door also bo bian have to eat grass. haha

maisonjai
12-01-12, 14:51
Ask them to eat your grass then show them that you didn't violate any rule since your planter area still intact (take out the woods and show them)? :p
All these bullshit of free 10% GFA for balcony, planter areas, bay windows, and now big big air-con ledges - should really ask them to eat grass?
Talking about this, we know that developers previously exploited this loophole since baywindow, planter box, a/c ledge are exempted from GFA but when u lodge a caveat these exempted areas are reflected in URA. URA & BCA not talking to each other. :banghead:

mcmlxxvi
12-01-12, 15:55
It faces right into the Morning Sun ( East? ) ,brother ! Every morning I can see the shadows of the window grill moves around my room WOAHAHAHAHAHA

Handsome bro, put a bubble swing chair and enjoy morning sun with a cuppa and read mewspaper! Unless got neighburs staring right at your unit.l.

ikan bilis
12-01-12, 15:58
say... if not handsome man, can sun tanning at the planter or not... :D

bigapplefan
12-01-12, 16:57
erm.. why you keep saying you are handsome..haha.. handsome pple don't keep saying they are handsome one you know

bigapplefan
12-01-12, 16:59
You mean convert the planter into a pond? Will there be leakage?

Think this definitely will not be approved right?

Actually if we deck up the planter and if it can sustain the weight of a man, then think movable tables and chairs should be ok right, don't think they weigh more than a man

Another thing is will the fish get burnt at the balcony and become 'peng' fish or not. Anyone tried putting pond or fish in planter before?

CCR
12-01-12, 17:03
go ahead and deck it out..... no problem... the whole sin is doing it...
i thought you are a developer bro? Ask a LEW to check the mex load that can be sustain and then go ahead...

developer would definitely have cater to heavier weight there or else the plater box will be outside the railing not inside....

If its inside, basically they have build it like a balcony, just that on paper state that its planter, then build a hole and have bonus GFA haha...

blackjack21trader
12-01-12, 18:39
go ahead and deck it out..... no problem... the whole sin is doing it...
i thought you are a developer bro? Ask a LEW to check the mex load that can be sustain and then go ahead...

wow...you are very observant leh... my photo like that u also can tell the box is not outside !! me guess u also developer leh....WOAHAHAHAAHAH

blackjack21trader
12-01-12, 18:40
erm.. why you keep saying you are handsome..haha.. handsome pple don't keep saying they are handsome one you know

you just answered your own question: I am not handsome, that is why I kept psycho-ing myself that I am for the good ego feeling...:doh:

blackjack21trader
12-01-12, 18:41
Another thing is will the fish get burnt at the balcony and become 'peng' fish or not. Anyone tried putting pond or fish in planter before?

WOAHAHAAHAHAHAH.....not funny....:scared-5:

blackjack21trader
12-01-12, 18:45
Handsome bro, put a bubble swing chair and enjoy morning sun with a cuppa and read mewspaper! Unless got neighburs staring right at your unit.l.

lucky no human eyes opposite lor..but cannot say for sure as there is another different condo in a short distance (about 3 km ) away..last time I know my friend put a telescope in his room lah:D

mcmlxxvi
12-01-12, 19:16
lucky no human eyes opposite lor..but cannot say for sure as there is another different condo in a short distance (about 3 km ) away..last time I know my friend put a telescope in his room lah:D

Bro, serious talk now, just be sure not to tile over or what as it is 'illegal' and you will have to reinstate to original condition should you want to sell in future. I experienced before firsthand...

ysyap
12-01-12, 19:30
erm.. why you keep saying you are handsome..haha.. handsome pple don't keep saying they are handsome one you knowCoz this is a forum so people can't see so don't know mah... :D

mcmlxxvi
12-01-12, 19:31
Coz this is a forum so people can't see so don't know mah... :D

From his avatar he quite handsome lah... to those who never watch Hk tv serial or movie...

sh
12-01-12, 20:51
i filled my planter with earth, planter a small tree at 1 corner, at the remaining areas, placed grante slabs over the earth, and filled the gaps in between with pebbles. ;)

Cheaper than getting a carpenter to deck over, and personally, looks better.:cool:

, it's still a planter. but it acts like a balcony... perfectly legal.

It hasn't collapsed yet. If it can support earth and plants, it has to support u in the planter maintaining the plants. BCA is damn kaisu... not problem with loading there.....:2cents:

fan
12-01-12, 21:00
i filled my planter with earth, planter a small tree at 1 corner, at the remaining areas, placed grante slabs over the earth, and filled the gaps in between with pebbles. ;)

Kind of zen, good idea

mcmlxxvi
12-01-12, 21:08

Cheaper than getting a carpenter to deck over, and personally, looks better.:cool:

It hasn't collapsed yet. If it can support earth and plants, it has to support u in the planter maintaining the plants. BCA is damn kaisu... not problem with loading there.....:2cents:

Wont the worms, bugs etc crawl directly onto the floor into the living area?

sh
12-01-12, 21:15
Wont the worms, bugs etc crawl directly onto the floor into the living area?

the worms, bugs have to find their way many many floors ups. If they do finally get there, use pesticide. Because it's that small, its easy to manage.:D

mcmlxxvi
12-01-12, 21:37
the worms, bugs have to find their way many many floors ups. If they do finally get there, use pesticide. Because it's that small, its easy to manage.:D

I thought every chunk of soil or earth should come with their own ecosystem of earthworms, millipedes, centipede etc...

ysyap
12-01-12, 21:48
Use fake plants so no need earth lor... :)

azeoprop
12-01-12, 21:49
Plant it full with pandan leaves, good smell and no cockroaches. :D

bigapplefan
12-01-12, 22:13

wow, Can plant tree... Just curious what kind of tree?

azeoprop
12-01-12, 22:59
Durian tree? :D

mygeemeel
12-01-12, 23:16
I thought it was more expensive to fill planter box with earth and more difficult to maintain the plants than to deck the planter box?

blackjack21trader
13-01-12, 00:26
Breaking News: More Kancheong (panic ?) spidey sellers in D10 landed detected asking 10% below banks valuation!

I ask brothers and sisters here to be patient....over and out.

PS: check out the listing at propertyguru over the next 2 days !

blackjack21trader
13-01-12, 05:34
Breaking News: More Kancheong (panic ?) spidey sellers in D10 landed detected asking 10% below banks valuation!

landed has ran up illogically over the past 3 years. from a high S$700psf to an even higher S$1700psf on the average for even the ulu places!

my take is this time market forces will correct this segment by at least 30% while the other segments like private condos and ECs will remain very very resilient indeed due to high rental demand.

Don't say I never say here first hor.

:scared-5:

blackjack21trader
13-01-12, 05:37
Now back to my planter box project:

I think I will DIY a water feature plus a reading deck which is totally not resting on the planter box itself. going to the drawing board first to do my sums. Dun't worry, nothing engineering about this project. A very simple & safe one which anybody can do.

Now the measurement of the box:

3m by 1m by 45cm. Wait.....let me measure again.....hmmmm........

............YES ! IT IS THAT DARN BLOODI BIG HOR !!!!! 3 m square. l###u0w9088)(&**&&^&^^&^%%% (swearing )

keep u posted :)

land118
13-01-12, 06:17

I think I will DIY a water feature plus a reading deck which is totally not resting on the planter box itself. going to the drawing board first to do my sums. Dun't worry, nothing engineering about this project. A very simple & safe one which anybody can do.

............YES ! IT IS THAT DARN BLOODI BIG HOR !!!!! 3 m square. l###u0w9088)(&**&&^&^^&^%%% (swearing )

keep u posted :)Wow, so big, a quarter of a MM unit, can put a bed there....:D

ysyap
13-01-12, 06:47

keep u posted :)Water proof it and fill with water... put some koi in and enjoy it.... no concern about the loading coz its meant for soil and plant which is not exactly light either... :cheers5:

blackjack21trader
13-01-12, 09:25
landed has ran up illogically over the past 3 years. from a high S$700psf to an even higher S$1700psf on the average for even the ulu places!

my take is this time market forces will correct this segment by at least 30% while the other segments like private condos and ECs will remain very very resilient indeed due to high rental demand.

Don't say I never say here first hor.

:scared-5:

remember brothers and sisters, do not even go and make enquiries/view the landed properties. let the daft small time developers go and take the baits of the old ones. after they go and rebuild a brand new one, the landed price would have dropped just right for us here...

1) DO NOT GONG GONG go and ask the prices now ! once the agents caught wind of any movement in the market, they would tell the owners and they will jack up the asking again hor !

2) Also, DO NOT go and "bookmarked" any of the landed properties in property listing sites- this will reveal the types of landed that generate interest.

In short, let us just disappear from the market totally. If you cannot control the urge to want to call the agents for viewing, come to this forum to past time, I will entertain you !

Good Luck.

神龙股侠。

blackjack21trader
13-01-12, 09:30
remember brothers and sisters, do not even go and make enquiries/view the landed properties. let the daft small time developers go and take the baits of the old ones. after they go and rebuild a brand new one, the landed price would have dropped just right for us here...

1) DO NOT GONG GONG go and ask the prices now ! once the agents caught wind of any movement in the market, they would tell the owners and they will jack up the asking again hor !

2) Also, DO NOT go and "bookmarked" any of the landed properties in property listing sites- this will reveal the types of landed that generate interest.

In short, let us just disappear from the market totally. If you cannot control the urge to want to call the agents for viewing, come to this forum to past time, I will entertain you !

Good Luck.

神龙股侠。

Now Lion brothers and sisters, we worked darn hard for our private condos. Why should we sell them at a bargain and then go buy a landed which is psf higher ? Many of these landed owners are via inheritance just like your handsome and humble brother here.

You worked hard to own a private condo, why should the psf be same or even lower than a landed?

Think...once you sold your private condos, you are removing yourself from the foreigner markets ! Such is the sacrifice you have to make. If you wanna make the sacrfice, make sure the landed psf is worth its value !

hopeful
13-01-12, 10:24
Thanks for your quick answers. I am just wondering can a planter sustain a 100kg handsome man ? Otherwise I may just deck it up lor.... the big planter looks kinda stupid naked :

Any ideas what i can do with the big empty space ? I do not want any garden leh.....

:confused:
my 3rd eye reveals that you are only 70kg.
the extra 30 kg is the 30 1kg gold bars you carry around everywhere with you for protection - protection from bullets and protection from bank bankruptcies.

you can fill the planter with artificial media such as gold nuggets.

teddybear
13-01-12, 10:28
Just wait. Many of these landed every 30+ years need to tear down and rebuilt (because quality lousy mah as built by small-time no-name developers and construction companies).

Many current owners either retire or inherited. They have no means (/MONEY) to tear down and rebuilt. Some owned by several siblings and will quarrel over selling to cash out money in hand so will sell at cheaper price!

Foreigners (PRs included) won't buy such old tepid properties as they have no means & connections to tear down and rebuilt. Even most citizens have no such means to rebuilt by ownself.

Why buy & live in landed (unless is a GCB) to feed mosquitoes & getting malaria & dengue etc, and still have to endure all the nonsense insects, creatures, etc?

Wait for within next 10 years will see GSS (Great Singapore Sale) for landed! :D

Now Lion brothers and sisters, we worked darn hard for our private condos. Why should we sell them at a bargain and then go buy a landed which is psf higher ? Many of these landed owners are via inheritance just like your handsome and humble brother here.

You worked hard to own a private condo, why should the psf be same or even lower than a landed?

Think...once you sold your private condos, you are removing yourself from the foreigner markets ! Such is the sacrifice you have to make. If you wanna make the sacrfice, make sure the landed psf is worth its value !

blackjack21trader
13-01-12, 16:07
my 3rd eye reveals that you are only 70kg.
the extra 30 kg is the 30 1kg gold bars you carry around everywhere with you for protection - protection from bullets and protection from bank bankruptcies.

you can fill the planter with artificial media such as gold nuggets.

congratulations, bro hopeful, on attaining your 3rd eye ;)

blackjack21trader
13-01-12, 16:09
Just wait. Many of these landed every 30+ years need to tear down and rebuilt (because quality lousy mah as built by small-time no-name developers and construction companies).

Many current owners either retire or inherited. They have no means (/MONEY) to tear down and rebuilt. Some owned by several siblings and will quarrel over selling to cash out money in hand so will sell at cheaper price!

Foreigners (PRs included) won't buy such old tepid properties as they have no means & connections to tear down and rebuilt. Even most citizens have no such means to rebuilt by ownself.

Why buy & live in landed (unless is a GCB) to feed mosquitoes & getting malaria & dengue etc, and still have to endure all the nonsense insects, creatures, etc?

Wait for within next 10 years will see GSS (Great Singapore Sale) for landed! :D

yes bro, that is exactly the points i m trying to make. u just articulate my thoughts so well for me :)

blackjack21trader
13-01-12, 16:10
Water proof it and fill with water... put some koi in and enjoy it.... no concern about the loading coz its meant for soil and plant which is not exactly light either... :cheers5:

if i stay in landed i will wanna have a koi pond. but this planter is right outside my bedroom- later fishy smell how ? think i will water proof it for water feature instead.... so many great ideas from you guys..keep them coming pals...WOAHAHAHAAHAH

maisonjai
13-01-12, 16:37
drop a fibreglass tub, soak urself there & enjoy ur view :cheers1:

blackjack21trader
13-01-12, 17:26
drop a fibreglass tub, soak urself there & enjoy ur view :cheers1:

wow better and better ideas ! yes, i can custom make a fiber glass tub. that would save a lot of $$$ on water proof. Great idea brother !

mcmlxxvi
13-01-12, 17:49
wow better and better ideas ! yes, i can custom make a fiber glass tub. that would save a lot of $$$ on water proof. Great idea brother !

When u not soaking u can even collect rainwater if it rains can use to mop floor!!!

sh
13-01-12, 18:21
wow, Can plant tree... Just curious what kind of tree?

frangipani... got fragrance some more... though some pangtan people don't like.... but angmo love....:D

sh
13-01-12, 18:26

hey... not so bad la:simmering: ... been living in land all my life. though my sis did kanna dengue....:(

mygeemeel
13-01-12, 18:26
frangipani... got fragrance some more... though some pangtan people don't like.... but angmo love....:D

I have a boring planter, thinking of growing trees too but not frangipani. Anything else better?

azeoprop
13-01-12, 18:30
Grow your own organic cai xin, kai lan, carrots and tomatos.

:p

mygeemeel
13-01-12, 18:47
Haha. It is a planter, not farm lei. :D
Some say grow bamboo on planter is nice.

TKT
13-01-12, 19:10
Bro BJ21,

I still think decking it out with wood is the better option.

My condo planter + balcony is just as big, maybe even bigger and I had it fully decked out.

My tenants love it as they put a table and chairs outside - and can sit outside with a book and chill out over a bottle of wine - (second part, in my imagination).

Initially also thought of filling it with water and keep fishes but too much trouble, cannot go holidays and expect in-laws to come each time to feed fishes plus after a while, unless dedicated, become a white elephant instead.

Also thought filling it with soil and have a nice garden but my nursery friend warned me the creepy crawlies will inevitably get into the house, if your soil is natural, surely have bugs and what-nots.

Condo "garden" is just not the same as landed garden, so dont fool yourself. :D

In the end, too much hassles... better fully utilise it, maybe put some potted plants to brighten the area and save all the trouble. :2cents:

:47:

hopeful
13-01-12, 19:43
BJ21, u funny le, u worry about the planter supporting your 100kg weight. then you want to install water feature. the volume of the planter = 3m x 1m x 0.45m = 1.35m3. That's 1350kg of water in your planter box. :eek:

buttercarp
13-01-12, 21:59
Some of my neighbours use the planter as a storage. They put their pails and rubber hose there. Quite unsightly.
A lot of them air clothes in the air con ledge.

azeoprop
13-01-12, 22:12
Some of my neighbours use the planter as a storage. They put their pails and rubber hose there. Quite unsightly.

Wonder if we can install waterproof lids and make it like a floor storage aka CDL like that?

:beats-me-man:

maisonjai
13-01-12, 22:41
i seen some putting their bicycles.

CCR
14-01-12, 00:03

Then your condo can be The MarQ II..... lol... but cheaper.... easy to take profit.... lol....

blackjack21trader
16-01-12, 11:25

last 2 days, even more spidermen in the market !

blackjack21trader
16-01-12, 11:29
last 2 days, even more spidermen in the market !

The landed market now is divided into 3 groups:

1) one still dreaming and asking for yesterday prices.

2) one more pragmatic with more reasonable but still high prices

3) one totally kancheong one asking cheaper but still high prices.

my take is do not react to any of them. if you do it now, they will immediately jack up the prices again. my call is to wait till end 2012 then go shopping for landed. let the dragon does its work first. of course, other property classes will have no fear.

remember when i was a property agent 20 years ago. It took like 1 year to sell a landed hor.

blackjack21trader
18-01-12, 10:05
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s297/blackjack21trader/myplanter.jpg

ok guys, i am starting to source for the items ifor my planter liao. keep u posted :)

bigapplefan
18-01-12, 10:16

ok guys, i am starting to source for the items ifor my planter liao. keep u posted :)
Just curious, what's the blue vertical stripes?

ysyap
18-01-12, 10:20

ok guys, i am starting to source for the items ifor my planter liao. keep u posted :)Can include some small fish in the water tank to keep mozzy breeding...

mcmlxxvi
18-01-12, 12:31
Just curious, what's the blue vertical stripes?

I though dry ice mist effect...

Newbie23
01-08-12, 10:23

Any updates regarding your planter and pictures to share (before and after)?