PDA

View Full Version : Landed vs Condo

roly8
19-02-12, 15:14
condo - swimming pool & gym..
Landed - no swimming pool and i read that it is hot living in one if you do not turn on air-con for the whole day..

care to share your view?

DC33_2008
19-02-12, 15:29
Landed - you own the land but condo is a strata title. Landed - you can redesign and rebuild your house but not a condo. Landed - you do not pay maintenance fee like condo. Landed - There is limited landed properties compared to condos.
Landed - no swimming pool and i read that it is hot living in one if you do not turn on air-con for the whole day..

care to share your view?

zzz1
19-02-12, 15:29
[QUOTE=roly8]condo - swimming pool & gym..

Condo Pay maintenance fee, enjoy facilities, security etc
Landed Repair maintenance at your own , fight over parking usually the root of conflict, BBQ can setup any time, foot can step on soil... Hot day depend on facing and configuration , blockage etc...

End if the day look at annual valuation , tax high also . If is rental ,is 10% .. Occupant is lesser

kane
19-02-12, 15:32
Old landed when neighbour tear down may result in cracks on your walls.

DC33_2008
19-02-12, 15:39
Just claim against your neighbours if it happens. Condo has similar problem when upstairs renovate their houses, especially floor tiles.

kane
19-02-12, 16:24
Can ah? But what water seepages that surface after 1-2 years?

howgozit
19-02-12, 16:48
Annual value for condo tend to be higher than landed.

[quote=roly8]condo - swimming pool & gym..

Condo Pay maintenance fee, enjoy facilities, security etc
Landed Repair maintenance at your own , fight over parking usually the root of conflict, BBQ can setup any time, foot can step on soil... Hot day depend on facing and configuration , blockage etc...

End if the day look at annual valuation , tax high also . If is rental ,is 10% .. Occupant is lesser

roly8
19-02-12, 16:50

REALLY?!! :scared-4::scared-4::scared-4: you pay more tax having condo then?

landed's rental seem much higher than condo...thus shouldn't be landed's AV should be higher than condo instead?

DC33_2008
19-02-12, 16:56
Not wrong! NAV is higher for condo than landed.

landed's rental seem much higher than condo...thus shouldn't be landed's AV should be higher than condo instead?

howgozit
19-02-12, 16:56

Such scale of renovation usually insured... even if not, owner doing renovation is still liable and can be claimed against accordingly. Liability period is same as the constucted neighbour.. ie. 1 year after completion. Beyond 1 year would be wear and tear.

Just monitor your unit during the rebuilding and highlight to the builder if anything is amiss. If they don't honour the rectification they can be reported to BCA.

Don't forget this is applicable to all land owners meaning that you may be the one tearing down your house to rebuild.

DC33_2008
19-02-12, 16:57
Just look for your neighbour as long as they are still around.
Can ah? But what water seepages that surface after 1-2 years?

relaxcatdog
19-02-12, 17:03
I heard that the utilities charges in the landed properties can be very high. Want to check whether this is true? If it is, what is the normal amount per month for a family with four members? Of course it depends very much on the usage. But I get the impression that it is very much higher than those who live in condo/apartments/flats.

howgozit
19-02-12, 17:10
I think landed's rental (and therfore NAV) is generally lower than condo.

btw, this is just my own experience, my NAV for the landed that I am staying in has never been higher than the NAVs of the condos that I have been renting out.

However, it is possible that my landed is not in as prime an area as my condos and thus the rentals are lower. So maybe the comparison is not fair.

A better comparison would be a landed NAV in say Bukit Timah and the a condo right beside it. Maybe some other forummers in such a situation can comment better.

howgozit
19-02-12, 17:23
I heard that the utilities charges in the landed properties can be very high. Want to check whether this is true? If it is, what is the normal amount per month for a family with four members? Of course it depends very much on the usage. But I get the impression that it is very much higher than those who live in condo/apartments/flats.

In general that happens to be true. However, the space you are dealing with is also larger... meaning more areas to illuminate, wash or cool (if aircon is used).

However, if you count usage per square feet, I would think the utilities charge rate is about the same or even lower. For example, I used to pay $250+ while staying in a 1400+ sqft condo but now in a landed space of nearly 3000sqft I just pay barely over $350+. I have doubled my area but have not doubled the utiliies bill.

One of the things that I did away with was a koi pond that incurred more expense than pleasure or aesthetic that I can derive from. I think if I had retained it, it would burn a big hole in my utilities bill.

wind30
19-02-12, 18:07
Not wrong! NAV is higher for condo than landed.

yup. I think NAV is lower for landed too.

I also don't know why. Maybe not many units rented out so the rental data is outdated?

My current place has a very low NAV.

wind30
19-02-12, 18:10

for me it is roughly the same... I think it all depends on your lifestyle.

There is only 3 of us so we usually spent most of our time in the ground floor family room which is small as easy to aircon.

teddybear
19-02-12, 18:39
Because landed rental $PSF very poor. Assume same size property, landed has much lower rental hence lower NAV.

teddybear
19-02-12, 18:43
Assuming they are side by side, the landed rental $PSF pm can be as much as 50% lower! This could be because nowsdays family size are small and doesn't require as big space, and hence beyond a certain size there is no extra value you can expect tenants to pay? Obviously too small also cannot lah! :scared-2:

I think landed's rental (and therfore NAV) is generally lower than condo.

btw, this is just my own experience, my NAV for the landed that I am staying in has never been higher than the NAVs of the condos that I have been renting out.

However, it is possible that my landed is not in as prime an area as my condos and thus the rentals are lower. So maybe the comparison is not fair.

A better comparison would be a landed NAV in say Bukit Timah and the a condo right beside it. Maybe some other forummers in such a situation can comment better.

howgozit
19-02-12, 18:51
Makes sense I guess.... something like law of diminishing returns? ....haha

Assuming they are side by side, the landed rental $PSF pm can be as much as 50% lower! This could be because nowsdays family size are small and doesn't require as big space, and hence beyond a certain size there is no extra value you can expect tenants to pay? Obviously too small also cannot lah! :scared-2:

zzz1
19-02-12, 19:26
Just claim against your neighbours if it happens. Condo has similar problem when upstairs renovate their houses, especially floor tiles.
Request for a join inspection , take photo on existing condition. That protect ...

radha08
19-02-12, 20:39

landed and condo for my family of four same...$200plus in my previous condo now also $200plus Per mth in landed...i was also worried when i move in but seems like so far so good...:)

radha08
19-02-12, 20:41
Because landed rental $PSF very poor. Assume same size property, landed has much lower rental hence lower NAV.

yup rental very LOW i pay same price for 4k sq feet landed as i would for 1.5k sq feet condo...wonder why :)

stiook
19-02-12, 20:46
I always like to own a landed. But wife worried about rats, roaches, mozzies... anyway, price is always an issue.

chiaberry
19-02-12, 20:49

care to share your view?

Have lived in landed for 18 years. We don't use air-con. However our house is not close to neighbours. In fact we only have neighbour on one side as the house is the last one on that road.

howgozit
19-02-12, 21:04
I always like to own a landed. But wife worried about rats, roaches, mozzies... anyway, price is always an issue.

Mozzies depends on the area you live in, some areas are more prone than others. in an affected areas, even high rise housing is affected.

As for the rest of the pests, that's where the money you would have otherwise saved on condo maintenance go to. Pest control companies can be engad to manage it. In Singapore it is seldom a problem.

teddybear
19-02-12, 21:14
Hah? As far as I know, pests are always a problem and you just can't seem to get rid of them in landed! You can eradicate termites? You can eradicate rats? You can eradicate mosquitoes? The answer is obvious: NO. They keep coming..... Whatever pest control is useless! :doh:

Mozzies depends on the area you live in, some areas are more prone than others. in an affected areas, even high rise housing is affected.

As for the rest of the pests, that's where the money you would have otherwise saved on condo maintenance go to. Pest control companies can be engad to manage it. In Singapore it is seldom a problem.

DC33_2008
19-02-12, 21:30
Becos got long driveway plus garden and of course larger room and toilets. That is why minimum size of investment is two bedders. MM units are really small. Can be equivalent to the living room of landed property. That could be the size of my

howgozit
19-02-12, 21:37
Then I must be very lucky I don't have any of these problems.

Hah? As far as I know, pests are always a problem and you just can't seem to get rid of them in landed! You can eradicate termites? You can eradicate rats? You can eradicate mosquitoes? The answer is obvious: NO. They keep coming..... Whatever pest control is useless! :doh:

Santro
20-02-12, 18:25
Is the NAV for landed calculated based on land size or the built-up. That could be a reason for difference between landed and condo. I guess NAV for landed built up to 3 storey and with basement should be higher than condo in same area. Just my wild guess :) .

Santro
20-02-12, 18:28
I agree with teddybear. You can do pest control in your house but not your whole neighbourhood. Pests come and go (just like uninvited visitors :D ), they usually dont stay with you.

Then I must be very lucky I don't have any of these problems.

howgozit
20-02-12, 18:42
Then I must be very lucky my neighbourhood doesn't have these problems..... :D

I agree with teddybear. You can do pest control in your house but not your whole neighbourhood. Pests come and go (just like uninvited visitors :D ), they usually dont stay with you.

Santro
20-02-12, 19:11
Yes Bro. you really are very lucky. Last time during my landed house hunt, quite a few houses very well maintained but neighbours houses run-down and no walls to separate the houses, just wire fences.

Then I must be very lucky my neighbourhood doesn't have these problems..... :D

wind30
20-02-12, 19:26
Yes Bro. you really are very lucky. Last time during my landed house hunt, quite a few houses very well maintained but neighbours houses run-down and no walls to separate the houses, just wire fences.

that is why must choose a good estate what.

If you choose all those super old one storey estates, of course got some nice rebuilt but neighbour like dirt kind.

My estate was launched in the 1996 peak :) so almost all the old timers paid a pretty high price for their houses. Most of the houses are pretty well maintained.

It is built up to 3 storeys with small land area (for that time) so there is zero rebuilts.

zzz1
20-02-12, 20:17

[quote=zzz1]
for landed, the cal is based on , i think about 5 % of the proximate market value. How they derived proximate market value, etc is done by the valuer assessor time to time for landed property.

As for condos, is based on the market rent if it is rented out. The annual value list can be purchased. if the unit is rented out, the annual value will be high.

zzz1
20-02-12, 20:20
yup. I think NAV is lower for landed too.

I also don't know why. Maybe not many units rented out so the rental data is outdated?

My current place has a very low NAV.

self stay and rented out property calculation are diff....self stay is much much cheaper...Cos rental out, gov take is as profit/business revenue generation . the tax principle will be quite different.

wind30
21-02-12, 20:13
self stay and rented out property calculation are diff....self stay is much much cheaper...Cos rental out, gov take is as profit/business revenue generation . the tax principle will be quite different.

Annual Value is the same I think. The only difference I think is the percentage which they tax you.

howgozit
21-02-12, 22:08
Yah... that is the owner occupation rebate, it has no bearing on the annual value

Annual Value is the same I think. The only difference I think is the percentage which they tax you.

reuters
21-02-12, 22:31
It is a flawed comparison. The value of the property very much depends on location too, not just the type. If you are comparing a landed property and a condo along the same road, and same price and roughly the same price, then of course landed is better, even if condo offers facilities. If you compare a condo in East Coast with a view of the sea, costing $2mil, versus a terrace house in Yio Chu Kang cost $2mil, the one at East Coast may have more to appreciate than the Yio Chu Kang house (not to mention the proximity to downtown and airport).

howgozit
21-02-12, 22:41
I think TS was looking for comparisons btw Condo and Landed in general.

In fact your example of East Coast condo vs Yio Chu Kang landed precisely shows that there are valid things to compare.

It is a flawed comparison. The value of the property very much depends on location too, not just the type. If you are comparing a landed property and a condo along the same road, and same price and roughly the same price, then of course landed is better, even if condo offers facilities. If you compare a condo in East Coast with a view of the sea, costing $2mil, versus a terrace house in Yio Chu Kang cost $2mil, the one at East Coast may have more to appreciate than the Yio Chu Kang house (not to mention the proximity to downtown and airport).

Blue
02-07-12, 14:13

I am clocking only $140 per month on utilities in a landed. :D This is despite of the fact that I have 5 bathrooms, so 5 sanitary fittings charges.

My parents-in-law staying in HDB is clocking $200 utilities per month as they always leave the light on everywhere.

roly8
02-07-12, 14:22
I am clocking only $140 per month on utilities in a landed. :D This is despite of the fact that I have 5 bathrooms, so 5 sanitary fittings charges.

My parents-in-law staying in HDB is clocking $200 utilities per month as they always leave the light on everywhere.

your house only 2 adult persons + no air-con is it?:o

Ringo33
02-07-12, 14:26

Maybe shower in nearby public toilet, no cooking etc

Blue
02-07-12, 14:36

Everyday on aircon somemore! :D

roly8
02-07-12, 14:41
Everyday on aircon somemore! :D

come back home to use water to bath + air-con only..

:tongue3:

Blue
02-07-12, 14:42
come back home to use water to bath + air-con only..

:tongue3:

Isn't that what utilities are all about? U use your home utilities to run heavy motors? :scared-4:

teddybear
02-07-12, 16:28
That is too high!
I heard a friend's relative spend only $60 per month on utilities for a household of 5 in condo!
I asked how? :rolleyes:
He said other than cooking, they all bath in common toilets in the condo, and when too hot go to condo gym and function room to blow air-con! :scared-1:

Originally Posted by relaxcatdog

Rysk
02-07-12, 21:18
That is too high!
I heard a friend's relative spend only $60 per month on utilities for a household of 5 in condo!
He said other than cooking, they all bath in common toilets in the condo, and when too hot go to condo gym and function room to blow air-con! :scared-1:

1. All use swimming pool common toilet for shower & wash cloth?
2. Go gym or anywhere down stair find power point to use laptop?
3. Go gym blow air-con till shiok shiok.. no use air-con at home?
4. If too hot during sleep, all go sleep balcony?
5. Only share 1 TV and TV only switch-on from 9:00-9:30pm (30mins for ppl to catch the news only)?
6. 1 week only allow to cook once.. but instant noodle only?
7. Only allow to ON "one light" for the whole house at all times.. & between 7:30-10pm?
8. All go office & school brush teeth & wash face after wake up?
9. 5 person take turn do business in toilet, but then flush once & for all? :eek: :scared-4:

teddybear
02-07-12, 21:27
We all know that electricity and water are the 2 biggest costs items - so if they save on water for bathing and doing big business, and save on electricity for warm water bathing & air-cons, already can cut big chunk of expenditures per month!

1. All use swimming pool common toilet for shower & wash cloth?
2. Go gym or anywhere down stair find power point to use laptop?
3. Go gym blow air-con till shiok shiok.. no use air-con at home?
4. If too hot during sleep, all go sleep balcony?
5. Only share 1 TV and TV only switch-on from 9:00-9:30pm (30mins for ppl to catch the news only)?
6. 1 week only allow to cook once.. but instant noodle only?
7. Only allow to ON "one light" for the whole house at all times.. & between 7:30-10pm?
8. All go office & school brush teeth & wash face after wake up?
9. 5 person take turn do business in toilet, but then flush once & for all? :eek: :scared-4:

hyenergix
02-07-12, 21:30

Are you Water Wally working in PUB?

Komo
02-07-12, 21:33
That is too high!

also :
- cook at bbq pit using charcoal -> gas cost = 0
- make full use of function room: nap, reading, watch tv, etc > electricity =0
- collect water from car wash point -> water cost = 0

actually $0 utility is possible.
only cost is refuse disposal. don't think can siam :D

teddybear
02-07-12, 21:46
Not possible lah, 3 toilets each $3 before GST already almost $10 gone!
Then still Need water for drinking, electricity for fridge, a bit of electricity for 1 light on ... Can't run... :p

also :
- cook at bbq pit using charcoal -> gas cost = 0
- make full use of function room: nap, reading, watch tv, etc > electricity =0
- collect water from car wash point -> water cost = 0

actually $0 utility is possible.
only cost is refuse disposal. don't think can siam :D

Komo
02-07-12, 21:52
Not possible lah, 3 toilets each $3 before GST already almost $10 gone!
Then still Need water for drinking, electricity for fridge, a bit of electricity for 1 light on ... Can't run... :p

Need water for drinking - collect from water cooler
electricity for fridge - use the fridge at dining pavilion, or no need fidge
electricity for 1 light - use rechargable light lantern
:D

DC33_2008
02-07-12, 21:59
Landed property can collect rain water on rainy days. Does not need to turn on light if house has short driveway and rely on street light. Large garden with trees or plants will also help to reduce indoor temperature.:D

teddybear
02-07-12, 23:53
Living landed is for people who are more "Green"... E.g.:

1) extra food can't finish don't throw into rubbish chute, put outside the gate of landed will disappear the next day - eaten by rats, stray cats & dogs, and even monkeys!

2) Trees and plants attract mosquitoes and other insects, at night can have more exercise hitting mosquitoes and night flies (not sure that is the right name to call?) attracted to lights (especially can have hundreds and even thousands before/after raining), during the day can have more exercise hitting house flies....

3) A lot of exercise walking up and down the stairs, even 80 years old also no problem because used to climbing up and down the stairs, no sweat! :p

4) ??? :cheers1:

Landed property can collect rain water on rainy days. Does not need to turn on light if house has short driveway and rely on street light. Large garden with trees or plants will also help to reduce indoor temperature.:D

Laguna
03-07-12, 10:37
I used to stay in a big landed before. So my mum had the following

veg farm, keep chicken and ducks, lot of fruit trees

So we had fresh and free supply of meat, veg and fruits all the time...

my childhood.......

Poloclub
03-07-12, 10:41
Isn't that what utilities are all about? U use your home utilities to run heavy motors? :scared-4:

$140 per month for landed, that is not even enough for a typical 3 bedder apartment.

perhaps MM landed property?

seletar
03-07-12, 11:27
Staying in landed is very nice, spacious living space with your own private driveway and parking space. There is a nearby park and playground for the kids to play. For amenties like swimming pool, tennis courts and golf course, just need to join the nearby country club which provides better amenties than condos.

roly8
03-07-12, 12:18
I used to stay in a big landed before. So my mum had the following

veg farm, keep chicken and ducks, lot of fruit trees

So we had fresh and free supply of meat, veg and fruits all the time...

my childhood.......
i live in kampong before govt force us to move to HDB.. i still cherish this memorable experience!

i still remember my livable kampong landarea is the size of the stadium..
very big la..

got a well nearby... can grow anything on those soil...

what i dislike is the mosquito at night... + the insect noise quak quak...

seletar
03-07-12, 12:50
As a kid, cycling my BMX through the rocky dirt roads of the kampongs and farms in Seletar was very fun, and frequently I would be chased by stray dogs as I pedaled my BMX at top speed to get away. Nice childhood memories that my kids will never experience.

roly8
03-07-12, 13:05
As a kid, cycling my BMX through the rocky dirt roads of the kampongs and farms in Seletar was very fun, and frequently I would be chased by stray dogs as I pedaled my BMX at top speed to get away. Nice childhood memories that my kids will never experience.

yea.. i got BMX on those rocky dirt roads and kena chase by stray dogs too..

:D:D:D

Blue
03-07-12, 15:15
$140 per month for landed, that is not even enough for a typical 3 bedder apartment.

perhaps MM landed property?

Even a MM landed with a built in of more than 3000 sqft is 3 times bigger than a typical 3 bedroom apartment. :cool:

Moral of the story is: Utilities charges are not so much correlated to the types of properties but more on the individuals usage. :2cents:

Poloclub
03-07-12, 16:44
Even a MM landed with a built in of more than 3000 sqft is 3 times bigger than a typical 3 bedroom apartment. :cool:

Moral of the story is: Utilities charges are not so much correlated to the types of properties but more on the individuals usage. :2cents:

3000sqft might sound like big, but once you factor in all the stairs in a 3 floor terrace house etc you might just end up with only 2500sqft of usable space.

I am not sure how you do it, but I think to achieve that, you will need to be extremely thrifty about what you use and wash everyday. perhaps wash you bedsheet once every 3 months. then again, doesn't it defeat the purpose of living in landed property?

teddybear
03-07-12, 22:49
Didn't he said that he goes to his rented out condo to use the facilities? May be he goes there to bath, wash clothes, blow air-con in gym and function room, and cook at BBQ pit? :o

3000sqft might sound like big, but once you factor in all the stairs in a 3 floor terrace house etc you might just end up with only 2500sqft of usable space.

I am not sure how you do it, but I think to achieve that, you will need to be extremely thrifty about what you use and wash everyday. perhaps wash you bedsheet once every 3 months. then again, doesn't it defeat the purpose of living in landed property?

Kelonguni
03-07-12, 23:47
yea.. i got BMX on those rocky dirt roads and kena chase by stray dogs too..

:D:D:D

You guys better. I only had my two "kahs" to run very fast.

One trick I learned from adults. Bend down pretend to pick up stone to throw them. They will retreat, even if there is no stone. Why? I also don't know.

Fun days, I think our zinc-roofed and land then is the size of a residential plot being sold for 100million now. Compensation was in the tune of 100K then. 1000X difference.

hyenergix
04-07-12, 06:14
You guys better. I only had my two "kahs" to run very fast.

One trick I learned from adults. Bend down pretend to pick up stone to throw them. They will retreat, even if there is no stone. Why? I also don't know.

Fun days, I think our zinc-roofed and land then is the size of a residential plot being sold for 100million now. Compensation was in the tune of 100K then. 1000X difference.

Govt was very smart to acquire lots of land from villagers at dirt cheap prices in 1970s and 1980s. Then use the land revenue now for dunno what purpose.

ysyap
04-07-12, 07:55

Moral of the story is: Utilities charges are not so much correlated to the types of properties but more on the individuals usage. :2cents:3000 sqft is most certainly not MM. My estimation is more than 50% of current inter terraces in Singapore are less than 3000 sqft leh! All considered MM meh?

maisonjai
04-07-12, 10:17

When u bend down, the dogs think u want mate them that's why they retreat.
:cutedoggy: :cutedoggy: :cutedoggy: :cutedoggy: :cutedoggy:

roly8
04-07-12, 12:29

lol!!! :doh::doh:

Kelonguni
04-07-12, 12:36

Do male dogs feel that as well. Erm, let's not go there...

zzz1
04-07-12, 13:57
That is too high!

Originally Posted by relaxcatdog
Your' friend relative should stay on road side or air port...almost free..:D

azeoprop
04-07-12, 14:34
To save money from water, just let ur tap leak very little water and collect with a pail. The leakage flow rate must be very slow so that it cannot be registered by the water meter. Hence, u get 1 free pail of water a day.

:rolleyes:

Poloclub
04-07-12, 14:41
To save money from water, just let ur tap leak very little water and collect with a pail. The leakage flow rate must be very slow so that it cannot be registered by the water meter. Hence, u get 1 free pail of water a day.

are you sure?

zzz1
04-07-12, 14:53
Dog stand on 4 legs is already bend down right?? :D

zzz1
04-07-12, 14:57

Last time ppl tampered with the Ele meter to cheat as well.. For those unit located inside the house type.. Now din hear of such already...

teddybear
05-07-12, 00:29
Well, at least they are not the worse (according to my friend)!
The WORST are those owners that don't even live in the condo (because they rented out) yet come to the condo to use the facilities for free, blow free air-con in the gym and function room! :doh:

Your' friend relative should stay on road side or air port...almost free..:D

zzz1
06-07-12, 17:14
Well, at least they are not the worse (according to my friend)!
The WORST are those owners that don't even live in the condo (because they rented out) yet come to the condo to use the facilities for free, blow free air-con in the gym and function room! :doh:
That why most handbook or guideline mentioned the word eg resident usage and not owner usage...