PDA

View Full Version : Is 4% yield consider good?

roly8
27-02-12, 10:09
care to share the kind of %yield you have seen over the years in the property industry?? :D:D

price
27-02-12, 10:12
care to share the kind of %yield you have seen over the years in the property industry?? :D:D

Depends on area, FH / LH etc? i see that for FH 3-4% is pretty decent

CCR
27-02-12, 10:13
very good liao....

ekl2ekl2
27-02-12, 12:00
3.5 to 4.0% yield is still good now but may not be so great if interest rates rise.

For example, generally a CCR MM at >2000pfs has about 3.5% yield right now. Is itl good and worthwhile to go in right now?

minority
27-02-12, 12:10
its very good. at current selling price n rental. many are only 2%

price
27-02-12, 12:30
its very good. at current selling price n rental. many are only 2%

what about RCR and OCR mms?

samsara
27-02-12, 12:32
Industrial 60LH properties during early 2009 with 70% leverage were giving 25% to 30% cash-on-cash. Today that (with the same leverage) has dropped to 10% cash-on-cash.

mcmlxxvi
27-02-12, 13:05
Very very good if after tax, maintenance, fees etc

ikan bilis
27-02-12, 13:19
if sibor hit 4% how??... can ask tenant to sign "sibor-pegged" rent or not??.. :scared-3: :ashamed1: :D :D

espeyap
27-02-12, 13:39
if sibor hit 4% how??... can ask tenant to sign "sibor-pegged" rent or not??.. :scared-3: :ashamed1: :D :D

Sibor pegged rental is a new good idea. May be the yearly rental should be Sibor Pegged + 4% with log in period of 3 years....

ay123
27-02-12, 14:02
so is it fair to use the rental yield to determine how much a property worth? eg if a property can fetch rental of $4500/m. is it fair to say that property is worth $1.5m (achieving 3.6% yield)?

mcmlxxvi
27-02-12, 15:09
so is it fair to use the rental yield to determine how much a property worth? eg if a property can fetch rental of $4500/m. is it fair to say that property is worth $1.5m (achieving 3.6% yield)?
Really depends who is looking at it. If investor, yes. If own stay... Maybe they wont bother. Or they may look at potential capital gain instead

EBD
27-02-12, 15:19

A bit too simple as there are many other factors in play, but yes - this should be one of the key contributors.

But it also depends on interest rate, location, fh vs lh, supply-demand.

yjcai
27-02-12, 17:41
Make it 5% at least.

howgozit
27-02-12, 17:43
Why must depend on area, FH/LH? I would think yield is yield.

Thanks

Depends on area, FH / LH etc? i see that for FH 3-4% is pretty decent

sh
27-02-12, 17:51
Why must depend on area, FH/LH? I would think yield is yield.

Thanks

yah... i will expect higher yield for LH when compared to FH.:)

radha08
27-02-12, 21:31
hdb rental yield d best:D

teddybear
27-02-12, 21:52
before adding the costs to repair and make good after tenant left right? After adding in actually not that good after all?

hdb rental yield d best:D

peterng8
28-02-12, 09:43
In a sunny day, a bird was bathing itself happily in a pudding of water, after sometime it was so happy that it became oblivious of the surroundings and began singing louder and louder..unaware that it has inadvertently attracted the attention of a cat nearby which pounded on it and eat it up...:p now all the birds cannot enjoy it and have to fly somewhere else...:p

mcmlxxvi
28-02-12, 12:44
In a sunny day, a bird was bathing itself happily in a pudding of water, after sometime it was so happy that it became oblivious of the surroundings and began singing louder and louder..unaware that it has inadvertently attracted the attention of a cat nearby which pounded on it and eat it up...:p now all the birds cannot enjoy it and have to fly somewhere else...:p
Nice story to read in this nice weather... Especially i like cats and angry birds. But did someone post a fire sale here...? What is the relevance may i ask.

ikan bilis
28-02-12, 12:48
Nice story to read in this nice weather... Especially i like cats and angry birds. But did someone post a fire sale here...? What is the relevance may i ask.

haha... i guess he is saying radha08 kong-jiau-wei/talk-bird-language... asking govt to clamp down hdb renting.... :D

umm... not i say 1... :D

teddybear
28-02-12, 12:51
Yield is just 1 part, and not the most important part. Give you an analogy to stocks:

Stock A - Pay dividend of 4%.
Stock B - Pay 2% dividend.

Which will you buy? On the surface, buying Stock A is obvious.
But fast forward 10 years later, Stock A still pay 4% dividend, but price appreciation is ZERO.
Stock B still pay 2% dividend, but price appreciation is 100%.
Get the moral of the story? (If not, replace "Stock" by "Property" will do). :D

ekl2ekl2
28-02-12, 13:18
Yield is just 1 part, and not the most important part. Give you an analogy to stocks:

But fast forward 10 years later, Stock A still pay 4% dividend, but price appreciation is ZERO.

Good analogy.
its like LH vs FH.
But a lot would have sold off their LH after pocketing enough "dividends"

amk
28-02-12, 13:19
AAPL, 0 dividends. ;)

roly8
28-02-12, 13:27

Good post! :cheers5::cheers5:

mcmlxxvi
28-02-12, 14:45
haha... i guess he is saying radha08 kong-jiau-wei/talk-bird-language... asking govt to clamp down hdb renting.... :D

Orrrr i see the relevance now

radha08
02-03-12, 01:10

no need for me to say BIG brother got eyes to see....:scared-4:...they have all the data....we only tcss in forum....

ay123
02-03-12, 08:29

so which is better?
1. HDB rental of $2000 with yield of > 10%
OR
2. Condo rental of $4000 with yield of 5%

price
02-03-12, 08:40
so which is better?
OR

Obviously the yield of 10% is better but how many HDB can u own and rent out? You are asking the obvious. :doh:

ikan bilis
02-03-12, 08:41
so which is better?
OR

try remove all restrictions on resale hdb, and see if market will buy until yield crashed to 5% or not !!.... ;) :D

ay123
02-03-12, 08:58
Obviously the yield of 10% is better but how many HDB can u own and rent out? You are asking the obvious. :doh:

my point is should we look at higher cash inflow which can cover much of mortgage.

if a person has 1 pte plus 1 hdb and he want to sell one of them to fund another purchase. which is a better option:-

keep condo that has lower 5% yield so he will have $6000 (rental + CPF) to fund the mortgage
keep HDB with 10% yield, he will have only $4000 to fund the mortgage

am looking at cashflow perspective

ikan bilis
02-03-12, 09:02
sell hdb and buy condo... most people will have enough 20% downpayment cpf/cash... :D
keep hdb and buy condo... need 40% downpayment cash, and also cpf/cash stuck in hdb... :scared-3: :scared-3:

price
02-03-12, 09:32
my point is should we look at higher cash inflow which can cover much of mortgage.

if a person has 1 pte plus 1 hdb and he want to sell one of them to fund another purchase. which is a better option:-

keep condo that has lower 5% yield so he will have $6000 (rental + CPF) to fund the mortgage
keep HDB with 10% yield, he will have only $4000 to fund the mortgage

am looking at cashflow perspective

If you need to stretch so much, using rental income etc to fund another purchase maybe you should recalculate?

ay123
02-03-12, 09:39
If you need to stretch so much, using rental income etc to fund another purchase maybe you should recalculate?

am just asking in such scenario, yield or cash inflow is more important? what teddybear pointed out is quite true, a high yield stock might not be good if the price did not go up. so giving up high yield HDB may not be bad choice becos chances of condo to appreciate is definitely higher than HDB

price
02-03-12, 09:45
am just asking in such scenario, yield or cash inflow is more important? what teddybear pointed out is quite true, a high yield stock might not be good if the price did not go up. so giving up high yield HDB may not be bad choice becos chances of condo to appreciate is definitely higher than HDB

Yep agree :cheers5:

eng81157
02-03-12, 10:05
i believe both scenarios are valid for investors with different risk appetite. if you believe a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, then generating cashflow or immediate returns through a high yield asset would be your pick. afterall, capital appreciation is probable, rather than an absolute.

devilplate
02-03-12, 10:44
with all these cooling measure, cap gain for pte ppty may not be as gd as hdb hor

i will definitely keep hdb if i hf one

teddybear
02-03-12, 18:47
Keep and regret 8 years later when the dam (MOP) allow the flood water to be released! :beats-me-man:

with all these cooling measure, cap gain for pte ppty may not be as gd as hdb hor

devilplate
02-03-12, 18:52
Keep and regret 8 years later when the dam (MOP) allow the flood water to be released! :beats-me-man:
hdb small quantum....better den keep expensive ccr and no foreigner to sell to?

teddybear
03-03-12, 00:57
When Iran war starts, more rich Middle-Easterns will start to stream to Singapore again.... :p

hdb small quantum....better den keep expensive ccr and no foreigner to sell to?

teddybear
03-03-12, 01:02
Don't forget, they now have to keep HDB affordable for somebody with just $1k pm income! If new 2 BRs sell only $40k, what do you expect resale 2BRs to be able to sell? What do you expect resale 5 BRs to be able to sell when the dam (MOP) is opended after water has been full (full capacity built)? :beats-me-man:

ikan bilis
03-03-12, 08:58
heya...

under booming economy condition,
- keep/hold high end properties... i.e. luxury, ccr, large floor area condo
- price will shoot to sky bcoz very speculative...
- you will be seeing recording breaking price everyday (not once a year)
- forget about rental yield, bet on the big big capital gain...

but, under stagflation condition like now....
- better hold on to all the low end junk properties... hdb, small ocr condo, factory
- these are the very basic necessities... people/biz need some roof
- easy to rent out, easy to offload...
- any price crash also less extend in ratio, less painful/risky, highest yield...
- assets value still get pushed up by inflation (but no speculative factor to push up price)

:rolleyes: :D

felicia_sg
03-03-12, 09:04
Under stagflation conditions, many families try to hold on to their HDB flats even when they don't use it physically (all rented out)! :(
Fortunately things will change once all the printed money get into circulation in the very first sign of global economic recovery.

heya...

under booming economy condition,
- keep/hold high end properties... i.e. luxury, ccr
- price will shoot to sky bcoz very speculative...
- you will be seeing recording breaking price everyday (not once a year)
- forget about rental yield, bet on the big big capital gain...

but, under stagflation condition like now....
- better hold on to all the low end junk properties...
- these are the very basic necessities... people/biz need some roof
- easy to rent out, easy to offload...
- any price crash also less extend in ratio, less painful/risky, highest yield...
- assets value still get pushed up by inflation (but no speculative factor to push up price)

:rolleyes: :D