PDA

View Full Version : Sell HDB and buy condo

Santro
15-03-12, 14:22
I have a fully paid HDB in prime location currently rented out. Is it a good idea to sell the HDB and use the money as 40% downpayment for a condo. I am thinking of long term capital gains and leveraging on the low home loan interest rate. What are your views.

roly8
15-03-12, 14:40
where are you staying now then?

price
15-03-12, 14:43
I have a fully paid HDB in prime location currently rented out. Is it a good idea to sell the HDB and use the money as 40% downpayment for a condo. I am thinking of long term capital gains and leveraging on the low home loan interest rate. What are your views.

Where are you staying now?

If you sell ur only home, u are allowed to take 80% loan right?

I will always keep a HDB if i could and continue to buy more condos while renting out my first HDB :D

Santro
15-03-12, 14:49
I am living in a condo.
Was wondering if its a good idea to leverage on the low home loan interest rate.I dont see major HDB capital appreciation in future.

Where are you staying now?

If you sell ur only home, u are allowed to take 80% loan right?

I will always keep a HDB if i could and continue to buy more condos while renting out my first HDB :D

price
15-03-12, 14:52
I am living in a condo.
Was wondering if its a good idea to leverage on the low home loan interest rate.I dont see major HDB capital appreciation in future.

But what's the point? so u upgrade ur HDB rental to a PC rental income? and if u get a BUC PC ur stuck with no rental for a few years.

Ur first post already said u are looking into the long term cap gain. Then i believe in the long term probably this HDB will bring u good CG as well?:beats-me-man:

Montaigne
15-03-12, 14:53
I am living in a condo.

Cant help but to agree no major cap appreciation for hdb, if u looking at cap appre, sell now, but if u looking for rental gains, should keep. Hdb gives highest rental yields, condo can't fight.

Montaigne
15-03-12, 14:55
But what's the point? so u upgrade ur HDB rental to a PC rental income? and if u get a BUC PC ur stuck with no rental for a few years.

Ur first post already said u are looking into the long term cap gain. Then i believe in the long term probably this HDB will bring u good CG as well?:beats-me-man:

Under kbw hard to see upside. Downside more likely.

price
15-03-12, 14:57

yep but for his case, hes gonna be keeping an extra ppty anyway. So whats the point of changing a HDB to a PC rental? i dunno:beats-me-man: Unless the HDB are those Queesntown/Bishan or the new TPY near 1mil pricing unit? then perhaps its a good choice. Sell HDB buy 2 MMs. each rent 2.5k :cheers1: :cheers6:

Santro
15-03-12, 15:00
yeah lor. Thats what I am thinking as well. Highly unlikely that I will move back to HDB. Rental yield is really good but limited upside.

Santro
15-03-12, 15:01
Bro, your guess on the location is right..its Queenstown/Redhill area.

yep but for his case, hes gonna be keeping an extra ppty anyway. So whats the point of changing a HDB to a PC rental? i dunno:beats-me-man: Unless the HDB are those Queesntown/Bishan or the new TPY near 1mil pricing unit? then perhaps its a good choice. Sell HDB buy 2 MMs. each rent 2.5k :cheers1: :cheers6:

Montaigne
15-03-12, 15:02

For cap appre, even better to buy fh mm in good location. As long got rental yield can hoot.

Santro
15-03-12, 15:06
Thats what I am thinking as well. Also, risk is split to 2 units instead of 1.

For cap appre, even better to buy fh mm in good location. As long got rental yield can hoot.

price
15-03-12, 15:10
hehe i guessed as much. So u can choose to cash out and buy 2 studio units at suites @ PL for e.g. TOP end of the year get rental income again! Or if u dun mind having no rental for awhile, get those in geylang! 4xxk ;)

Montaigne
15-03-12, 15:11
If I m u I will sell. Then hoot 2 fh mm...

price
15-03-12, 15:11
Casa Cambio, Suites @ Paya Lebar, The Vue, Where else got FH near MRT (Non Geylang)

Komo
15-03-12, 15:16
but now price too high to buy anything leh:(

Santro
15-03-12, 15:17
No lah. Wont get 1 mio, maybe 600-700k. Plan to get one unit right away after selling the HDB and then keep the remaining $$ and continue to save to get another one.

If I m u I will sell. Then hoot 2 fh mm...

Santro
15-03-12, 15:18
Not really a Geylang fan. :)
I dont mind new 99yr if the location is good.

Casa Cambio, Suites @ Paya Lebar, The Vue, Where else got FH near MRT (Non Geylang)

ay123
15-03-12, 15:26
agree HDB capital upside is limited. if it is good location, probably good to cash out the profit. few years down the road, HDB probably stagnant or reach the ceiling. should cash out and enjoy profit first, reinvest into PC. the capital gain for PC is definitely better than HDB (but risk of price falling is also higher). as long can hold on when price drop, it will rebounce again

Montaigne
15-03-12, 15:27

The vue near mrt meh?? Fh near mrt got new one coming, promenade@pelikat. If 2 bedders priced below 1.1kpsf after discount will consider. Mixed dev. Waiting for more details from my agent. They started collecting cheques. Suites@pl and casa almost sold out, good units all taken, not much choices left. Anyway he/she may not choose d19. Can afford maybe can go for ccr, now relatively cheaper.

price
15-03-12, 15:29
Not really a Geylang fan. :)
I dont mind new 99yr if the location is good.

Trust me, 99LH location good, u will be trading ur HDB to 1 bedder MM nia. WT suites 5xx-6xxk, Bedok resi 7xxk. How to get good location LH99 with 600k? :(

if u wanna get LH99 x 2 MM maybe only poor location like PRW. 398k

Montaigne
15-03-12, 15:32
Trust me, 99LH location good, u will be trading ur HDB to 1 bedder MM nia. WT suites 5xx-6xxk, Bedok resi 7xxk. How to get good location LH99 with 600k? :(

Now no more $398k lo.. Those who got it at that price lucky for them.

Santro
15-03-12, 15:34
Was thinking of getting back to the borrowing mode lah.
so eg Bedok Resi, 7xxK - Pay 40% (abt 300+k)and rest loan.
Remaining $ keep and save to make another 40% to buy next one.

price
15-03-12, 15:35
The vue near mrt meh?? Fh near mrt got new one coming, promenade@pelikat. If 2 bedders priced below 1.1kpsf after discount will consider. Mixed dev. Waiting for more details from my agent. They started collecting cheques. Suites@pl and casa almost sold out, good units all taken, not much choices left. Anyway he/she may not choose d19. Can afford maybe can go for ccr, now relatively cheaper.

Oh ya, the vue i think needs 15mins walk.

But he wants 2 x MM..

4xx-5xxk theres only D19, maybe certain parts of D15/16 and D14?

can try Sycamore tree if u dun mind 355sqft MM also mixed development. Starts from 4xxk after their relaunch. not sure if there are anymore 4xx-5xxk MMs in D15 liao. mostly sold out!

D16 upcoming mixed development east village should be around high 5xxk. Suites @ Eastcoast should be fully sold?

D19 perhaps nearer to MRT would be around kovan area. Serangoon are mostly around 8-15mins walk.

price
15-03-12, 15:43

Integrated projects like bedok and WT got no more 7xxk units. Maybe u can offer Xan 7xxk for his WT 1bedder :D

flxcat
15-03-12, 16:26
Integrated projects like bedok and WT got no more 7xxk units. Maybe u can offer Xan 7xxk for his WT 1bedder :D

Congrats that you are in a good situation.

Keep your good class HDB and enjoy healthy cash flow due to the ease of rent and good yield.

Where to find maint fee at $75 and low property tax of less $1k for PC?
Govt is subsidizing your yield as nothing much can be done without affecting general HDB dwellers.

Enjoy your cash moo....:cheers6:

espeyap
15-03-12, 16:29

How much you rented out now? 3k/mth?

My suggestion is to keep HDB and continue to rent it out. Save all the rental yield for purchase of your MM in few years time.

One of the major mistake you make is to clear up all the HDB loan. You should keep the cash or refinance with private bank.

With the additional cash and yield gain, you should be able to save up faster for your MM.

price
15-03-12, 16:37

My suggestion is to keep HDB and continue to rent it out. Save all the rental yield for purchase of your MM in few years time.

One of the major mistake you make is to clear up all the HDB loan. You should keep the cash or refinance with private bank.

With the additional cash and yield gain, you should be able to save up faster for your MM.

Agreed. Once u sell HDB can never buy back again !! :(

Santro
15-03-12, 16:53
Yes. Abt 3k/mth. Thats the main reason why I am a bit hesitant. Whether to just hold on as long as I can or cash out.

amk
15-03-12, 17:05
I will sell the HDB. And invest in a *resale* private.
Imagine tomorrow KBW says no renting for HDB. Guaranteed HDB resale px will drop.

price
15-03-12, 17:08
I will sell the HDB. And invest in a *resale* private.
Imagine tomorrow KBW says no renting for HDB. Guaranteed HDB resale px will drop.
but this is just ur imagination? If gonna base decisions on imagination then theres lots of miracles to imagine :tongue1:

amk
15-03-12, 17:24
I'm giving an illustration why HDB has the highest policy risk.
Not so long ago, the rule for subletting HDB was very strict. Many people were doing "lock one room sublet".
MBT relaxed the rule to allow ppl earn rental from HDB. KBW can easily reverse that. He already reversed "BTO". Now is just B regardless of O.
With this "new PAP" thing, all pty segments are subjected to policy risks now.
Well you make your call on this. Shall you take profit or not.

price
15-03-12, 17:34
Not so long ago, the rule for subletting HDB was very strict. Many people were doing "lock one room sublet".
MBT relaxed the rule to allow ppl earn rental from HDB. KBW can easily reverse that. He already reversed "BTO". Now is just B regardless of O.

Yes i do agree on this point, Singapore's largest property risk is political risk.

radha08
15-03-12, 18:20
Cant help but to agree no major cap appreciation for hdb, if u looking at cap appre, sell now, but if u looking for rental gains, should keep. Hdb gives highest rental yields, condo can't fight.

i also say....:D:D:D

radha08
15-03-12, 18:23
Agreed. Once u sell HDB can never buy back again !! :(

i also say.....:D:D:D

devilplate
15-03-12, 18:25
to TS: dont leverage up oredi at this point in time.....stay status quo or even deleverage ;)

if i were u, i will hold tight tight to my fully paid up HDB

AMK: dun tink KBW so garang go and stop ppl from subletting out la...perhaps they may extend sublet MOP to 10yrs for those who bot later on lor....

alamak
15-03-12, 18:31
[QUOTE=flxcat]Congrats that you are in a good situation.

Keep your good class HDB and enjoy healthy cash flow due to the ease of rent and good yield.

Where to find maint fee at $75 and low property tax of less $1k for PC?
Govt is subsidizing your yield as nothing much can be done without affecting general HDB dwellers.

Enjoy your cash moo....:cheers6:[/QUOTE

Yes, fully concurred with this bro/sister. Many in this forum are of one-way track mind.

With low maintenance fee and low property tax, you are receiving passive income. Many people seems to think low interest is here to stay for long time. Also MM units maintenance fees (assuming most are small development) are super high. Also your super-exp $psf MM units may not find many resale in future !! Think about your $$investment sunk in.

More units (PC/MM) need not be better !! :D

buttercarp
15-03-12, 19:43

I kinda agree with you.
I disposed of my 1st HDB in 2002.
That was when cannot let out the whole flat, and if buy PC, still had to put the HDB address in the IC.
At that time, rental was not really in demand.
I always had the feeling that having a HDB in addition to a pte property is a liability.

Santro
15-03-12, 19:51
Thanks all..I will hold on to my HDB. I know it wont be easy to get it back once I let go.
Was getting itchy to try some stunt to make more money. hahaha!!!
On the policy changes, there is always an effective date. So dont think any change would impact ppl who are already renting it out.:cheers1:

devilplate
15-03-12, 20:08
Thanks all..I will hold on to my HDB. I know it wont be easy to get it back once I let go.
On the policy changes, there is always an effective date. So dont think any change would impact ppl who are already renting it out.:cheers1:
yes pls hold tight tight!!!

just continue to rent out and use the rental income to pay ur current PC installment ;)

at the end of the loan, u got 2 hse fully paid!!!!

ysyap
15-03-12, 20:30
yep but for his case, hes gonna be keeping an extra ppty anyway. So whats the point of changing a HDB to a PC rental? i dunno:beats-me-man: Unless the HDB are those Queesntown/Bishan or the new TPY near 1mil pricing unit? then perhaps its a good choice. Sell HDB buy 2 MMs. each rent 2.5k :cheers1: :cheers6:Agreed... have to depend on location of HDB. Sell when it makes sense... :D

espeyap
15-03-12, 20:42

I believe with your active and pasive income combination, you will very soon afford to invest in another unit soon.

Santro
15-03-12, 20:49
Yes Bro. Till now have been able to rent out usually on the first day of viewing.
Hope it continues.:cheers1:

Agreed... have to depend on location of HDB. Sell when it makes sense... :D

ysyap
15-03-12, 20:50
Oh ya, the vue i think needs 15mins walk.

But he wants 2 x MM..

4xx-5xxk theres only D19, maybe certain parts of D15/16 and D14?

can try Sycamore tree if u dun mind 355sqft MM also mixed development. Starts from 4xxk after their relaunch. not sure if there are anymore 4xx-5xxk MMs in D15 liao. mostly sold out!

D16 upcoming mixed development east village should be around high 5xxk. Suites @ Eastcoast should be fully sold?

D19 perhaps nearer to MRT would be around kovan area. Serangoon are mostly around 8-15mins walk.The Vue prob need more than 15 mins to Bartley MRT. Remember there's no back gate connecting to How Sun Estate. Must walk from the front, make a big loop then turn back to How Sun Drive... :tsk-tsk:

ysyap
15-03-12, 20:51
Yes Bro. Till now have been able to rent out usually on the first day of viewing.
Hope it continues.:cheers1:Provided your asking is not too high, way above market rate in your area lor plus you are not too choosy with your tenant's profile... :D

Santro
15-03-12, 20:58
I am choosy about the tenent profile. Afterall they shouldnt be disturbing to my friendly ex-neighbours and damage the property.:)

Provided your asking is not too high, way above market rate in your area lor plus you are not too choosy with your tenant's profile... :D

august
15-03-12, 21:33
yeah lor. Thats what I am thinking as well. Highly unlikely that I will move back to HDB. Rental yield is really good but limited upside.

Since good rental yield should just keep and let the cashflow enrich you. Between good location HDB and MM, i will keep the HDB.

kane
15-03-12, 21:38
Since good rental yield should just keep and let the cashflow enrich you. Between good location HDB and MM, i will keep the HDB.

Second that.

ysyap
15-03-12, 22:13
Even if not so good location but HDB is big unit, I'll try to keep it coz similar size PC will be too expensive lor... ;)

radha08
15-03-12, 23:00
yes pls hold tight tight!!!

just continue to rent out and use the rental income to pay ur current PC installment ;)

at the end of the loan, u got 2 hse fully paid!!!!

i also say...:D:D:D

or if u really want to life "THE SO CALLED--high life" rent out ur hdb and rent a landed house to stay in using ur hdb rental to part offset ur landed rental....:D:D:D

radha08
15-03-12, 23:07
I am choosy about the tenent profile. Afterall they shouldnt be disturbing to my friendly ex-neighbours and damage the property.:)

agree with you today i just went to visit my HDB tenant cos there was some leak in the toilet piping...at the lift on the way up met my old neighbour...we had a nice chat....he asked me hows life and asked when i coming back to stay...:)...he also mentioned i got good tenants who are hardly at home...kinda nice feeling:)

flxcat
15-03-12, 23:21
Hope it continues.:cheers1:

Hi Santro,

Actually I kind of agreed with Bro Amk on the possibility of HDB cannot be rented out in the future.

Assume the policy is changed tomorrow, minimally govt still need to give 2years for any new tenancy singed today to be completed.

Next, assume $3k per month is your net rental income, for 2 years you are already gaining $72k.

Realistically, how much can HDB, especially in good location, can drop due to policy changes where HDB no longer can be rented out? Believe the support level for a 4room should be $500k and 5room should be $600k respectively in prime location when market collapse. I might be gravely wrong here, do correct me.

By then, assuming you do not wish to go back to HDB living, you can still choose to sell it, albeit less profit.

However, if you can continue to rent out, every year you are stand to gain ~$36k is still permit.

Soon your risk of less capital gain when you need to sell when HDB cannot be rented out is getting narrower each passing year.

So hold on to your cash cow especially a health and handsome looking one and reinvest your funds to grow it and you will soon poise to buy another PC:cheers6:

Well, no one can be certain of the future, otherwise there will be no beggars, make your own assessment after hearing from all the bro and sis. The above is purely my own :2cents: opinion, and what I will do if I ever have the fortunate opportunity that you have here. All the best in your investment jounrney!

nochoice
16-03-12, 00:39
Hi all,
If same scenario, but only hdb is in punggol not prime area and not near mrt, rental abt $2.4k. Will you guys still suggest to keep the hdb or to sell and invest in another condo?

I thought punggol hdb has little upside now as there will be constant supply? What's your view?

radha08
16-03-12, 03:52

bro seems like u already made up ur mind...but just to add my 2:2cents: nonsense advice...:D

a wise man once said...son..."children are a gift from god....HDB is a gift from spore govt so love them and treasure them they will take care of you..."

ps:The wise man currently renting OUT his 4rm HDB flat and staying in rented 4000sq feet Semi-D in Siglap with some top up every mth...:D:D:D

ysyap
16-03-12, 06:15
i also say...:D:D:D

or if u really want to life "THE SO CALLED--high life" rent out ur hdb and rent a landed house to stay in using ur hdb rental to part offset ur landed rental....:D:D:DHmmm... sounds familiar, isn't it? :rolleyes:

ysyap
16-03-12, 06:16
bro seems like u already made up ur mind...but just to add my 2:2cents: nonsense advice...:D

a wise man once said...son..."children are a gift from god....HDB is a gift from spore govt so love them and treasure them they will take care of you..."

ps:The wise man currently renting OUT his 4rm HDB flat and staying in rented 4000sq feet Semi-D in Siglap with some top up every mth...:D:D:DWhat you doing up at 4am in the morning? MU or MC supporter? :sleep: or :47:?

Santro
16-03-12, 08:38
Thanks for sharing your views. Makes very much sense. :)
Also, I dont think govt will turn against renting out HDB. There are a lot of foreigners/PR renting HDB. They belong to the lower middle income group who really cant afford a condo and dont expect the condo lifestyle. Some of them single income with spouse not working.
It will be chaos if govt does anything drastic on the HDB renting policies.
It will impact companies like JTC as well who rent out whole HDB units to foreigners. :D

Hi Santro,

Actually I kind of agreed with Bro Amk on the possibility of HDB cannot be rented out in the future.

Assume the policy is changed tomorrow, minimally govt still need to give 2years for any new tenancy singed today to be completed.

Next, assume $3k per month is your net rental income, for 2 years you are already gaining $72k.

Realistically, how much can HDB, especially in good location, can drop due to policy changes where HDB no longer can be rented out? Believe the support level for a 4room should be $500k and 5room should be $600k respectively in prime location when market collapse. I might be gravely wrong here, do correct me.

By then, assuming you do not wish to go back to HDB living, you can still choose to sell it, albeit less profit.

However, if you can continue to rent out, every year you are stand to gain ~$36k is still permit.

Soon your risk of less capital gain when you need to sell when HDB cannot be rented out is getting narrower each passing year.

So hold on to your cash cow especially a health and handsome looking one and reinvest your funds to grow it and you will soon poise to buy another PC:cheers6:

Well, no one can be certain of the future, otherwise there will be no beggars, make your own assessment after hearing from all the bro and sis. The above is purely my own :2cents: opinion, and what I will do if I ever have the fortunate opportunity that you have here. All the best in your investment jounrney!

Santro
16-03-12, 08:49
Hahahaha!!! I am 200% with you on this one and its definitely not nonsense advise.
Also, I feel very good every time I visit my HDB as I and my neighbours all moved in about same time and settled in.
So a very warm and homely feeling!! ;)
I like you idea of renting the Semi-D. I have never lived in landed before and a bit fearful about it in terms of maintenance and safety. May try it once my kids are a bit more older before I actually consider buying one...a long way to go for now...:D

ps:The wise man currently renting OUT his 4rm HDB flat and staying in rented 4000sq feet Semi-D in Siglap with some top up every mth...:D:D:D

radha08
16-03-12, 09:08
What you doing up at 4am in the morning? MU or MC supporter? :sleep: or :47:?

me no football fan just checking on uncle DOW Jones.....:sleep:

ikan bilis
16-03-12, 09:35
keep hdb lah... there is a very strong fundamental price support for hdb...
=> "votes counts.... for next GE".... :D

extremme
16-03-12, 09:57

hahaha i know who this wise man is :D:D

flxcat
16-03-12, 11:03
Hi all,
If same scenario, but only hdb is in punggol not prime area and not near mrt, rental abt $2.4k. Will you guys still suggest to keep the hdb or to sell and invest in another condo?

I thought punggol hdb has little upside now as there will be constant supply? What's your view?

I will still keep HDB and rent it out.

Give some thoughts to what is the current new BTO selling price in Punggol and likely will form the support price when you want to sell your HDB

All the best!

devilplate
16-03-12, 11:06
hey....punggol 4rm flat can really fetch 2.4k???!!!?!?!

i saw agts ad 2.5k wor....serious ar?

punggol rental demand goodie?

flxcat
16-03-12, 11:10
hey....punggol 4rm flat can really fetch 2.4k???!!!?!?!

i saw agts ad 2.5k wor....serious ar?

punggol rental demand goodie?

Should be 5room

devilplate
16-03-12, 11:14
Should be 5room
i aso realise 4/5rm flat rental about the same one....unless the 5rm flat is those tat comes wif 4 bedrooms

roly8
16-03-12, 11:19
i aso realise 4/5rm flat rental about the same one....unless the 5rm flat is those tat comes wif 4 bedrooms
why 5rm flat have 3 bedrooms only?

devilplate
16-03-12, 11:26
why 5rm flat have 3 bedrooms only?
er....mabe u can go down to tpy HDB hub and ask the HDB officers there :p

flxcat
16-03-12, 11:28

The same applies to PC. sizable studio (much higher quantum) and MM 1 bedroom same rental :(

price
16-03-12, 11:30
Buy those 90k Fernvale 2 room flats after their MOP lor :D Should give decent rental yield right?

devilplate
16-03-12, 11:35
The same applies to PC. sizable studio (much higher quantum) and MM 1 bedroom same rental :(
smtimes 1+study and studio same same rental lor....

u noe TK area....1bdr can fetch about 2.4-2.7k.....but den 3bdr 3.2k

wakakakkaa

looks like singles/couples tenant pockets r deeper? wakakakaka

price
16-03-12, 11:41

wakakakkaa

TK so low meh? how come mcm's KG can rent out 3k :eek: D19 summore leh

devilplate
16-03-12, 11:47
TK so low meh? how come mcm's KG can rent out 3k :eek: D19 summore leh
wat 3k?

the studios there rented out for 2.2-2.4k......but i heard got one 2.8k...exceptional case

initially when KG was launched, i told myself rental at most 2k.....

flxcat
16-03-12, 14:18

wakakakkaa

Ya lor. MM 1br 1+1br in terms of rental all under one category.

Sometime is wiser to go for smaller unit with lower quantum :tsk-tsk:

price
16-03-12, 14:36
wat 3k?

the studios there rented out for 2.2-2.4k......but i heard got one 2.8k...exceptional case

initially when KG was launched, i told myself rental at most 2k.....

Studios or 1 bedders? yea i thought they were sharing on the KG thread many 1 bedders were rented for 2.8-3k no?

radha08
16-03-12, 16:03
keep hdb lah... there is a very strong fundamental price support for hdb...
=> "votes counts.... for next GE".... :D

1rm 1 vote
2rm 2 vote
3rm 3 vote
4rm 4 vote
5rm 5 vote
Exec 6 vote....

PC...vote for opposition...:D:D:D

ysyap
17-03-12, 22:11
1rm 1 vote
2rm 2 vote
3rm 3 vote
4rm 4 vote
5rm 5 vote
Exec 6 vote....

PC...vote for opposition...:D:D:DLanded leh? :cheers6:

radha08
17-03-12, 22:41
Landed leh? :cheers6:

the way its going want to buy landed must change govt...go across causeway....:doh:...malaysia boleh

ikan bilis
18-03-12, 11:40
can't you see hor,... all the CMxx now whacking pte properties & foreigners onli mah... little to do with hdb.... :banghead:

teddybear
18-03-12, 11:43
1 more thing: All the CMs make buying new launch private properties more favorable than buying reale! Rules are skewed in favor of private property buyers & HDB upgraders & developers.

They are trying to Challenge all existing private properties' owners to vote opposition since the rules are skewed unfairly to them but anyway their numbers too little compared to HDB owners to affect election results? :banghead:

can't you see hor,... all the CMxx now whacking pte properties & foreigners onli mah... little to do with hdb.... :banghead:

land118
18-03-12, 12:32
1 more thing: All the CMs make buying new launch private properties more favorable than buying reale! Rules are skewed in favor of private property buyers & HDB upgraders & developers.

They are trying to Challenge all existing private properties' owners to vote opposition since the rules are skewed unfairly to them but anyway their numbers too little compared to HDB owners to affect election results? :banghead:
Got 4 more years to reverse b4 next election; if not some more GRC may fall....?

ysyap
18-03-12, 16:13
Got 4 more years to reverse b4 next election; if not some more GRC may fall....?B4 the next GE, still got by election for Hougang SMC... how's the opposition treating property ownership there? :rolleyes:

stiook
18-03-12, 23:44

Congrats... I had the same thought as you... $500-600k in pocket is a nice idea... but I kept my HDB because I never know when I might need to move back there... it is fully paid. Will still be there even if I lose my job...

ysyap
19-03-12, 06:29
Congrats... I had the same thought as you... $500-600k in pocket is a nice idea... but I kept my HDB because I never know when I might need to move back there... it is fully paid. Will still be there even if I lose my job...A wise move. More so if you HDB flat is big. In case your PC becomes too cramp and upgrading is no longer a viable option, you can still downgrade. :cheers1:

repanse71
20-03-12, 09:38

While I am happy you enjoying the best of both private and public housing, I believe KBW will eventually need to address this issue.

Politically, it makes no "Khaw" sense for him to allow this to continue, considering the sentiments of other 90++%.

Regards

Regards

cheerful
20-03-12, 11:20
Doesn't make wat sense? U mean doesn't make sense when hdb flat owners earn rental income while also holding on to pte? Juz wondering why would he hold anyone to this esp if pp actually bought those flats when they qualified long time ago ... no agst rule mah
:confused:

While I am happy you enjoying the best of both private and public housing, I believe KBW will eventually need to address this issue.

Politically, it makes no "Khaw" sense for him to allow this to continue, considering the sentiments of other 90++%.

Regards

Regards

price
20-03-12, 11:25
Doesn't make wat sense? U mean doesn't make sense when hdb flat owners earn rental income while also holding on to pte? Juz wondering why would he hold anyone to this esp if pp actually bought those flats when they qualified long time ago ... no agst rule mah

Because the whole idea of HDB is "subsidised housing". The Governmental is providing such cheap and affordable flats for people who qualifies for them. In order to be qualified your income is up to a certain level.

If in time, you are able to move on and own PC, why should the Government still let you keep your HDB? I too feel that this will be looked at sooner or later. Of course, otherwise i will wanna keep 1 HDB for rental income too.

price
20-03-12, 11:27
esp if pp actually bought those flats when they qualified long time ago ... no agst rule mah

People dont buy the flats, they lease at a cheap rate for 99 years. Yes there're 99 years PCs as well but those are not subsidised , hence u do not "owe" the govt anything.

cheerful
20-03-12, 11:28
Hmmm .. well it depends on how one sees it rt .. at least it's a happy problem. If the general population doesn't move up the income rank, it's really a pathetic nation leh ... subsidies no doubt was granted, but that was at a time when a citizen qualifies so don't see why he shld be penalised. On the other hand, if the person migrates then it's a diff story altog.
:2cents:

Because the whole idea of HDB is "subsidised housing". The Governmental is providing such cheap and affordable flats for people who qualifies for them. In order to be qualified your income is up to a certain level.

If in time, you are able to move on and own PC, why should the Government still let you keep your HDB? I too feel that this will be looked at sooner or later. Of course, otherwise i will wanna keep 1 HDB for rental income too.

ysyap
20-03-12, 11:37

Regards

RegardsSo to address this 'problem', another 'problem' arises. If all HDB owners must stay in HDB, then there's no HDB rental market liao...

1. Currently, don't think there's enough PC rentals available to cater to the current rental demand.

2. PC rental might be too high for some foreigners, etc. so what can these people do? Go home; don't come? Then that opens yet another 'problem' for our govt liao.

3. If HDB owners can only sell their flats, demands for resale HDB must go up. This will inevitably eat into the BTO market which KBW is currently taking great pains and efforts to increase supply in. If they upset the balance, aren't they slapping their own face?

4. Next GE, PAP will step down liao... MBT's fingerprint on MND indirectly contributed to much dissatisfaction on the people, probably resulting in the loss of a GRC. KBW's fingerprint on MND might stir up a greater public unrest if HDB rental is terminated...

Just sharing my views...:spliff:

ay123
20-03-12, 11:45

so u expect HDB owner to sell back HDB at original price? and in turn u want to sell yr PC at higher price for the upgrader. don forget bulk of PC buyers are upgrader from selling their HDB at decent profit. this is the whole idea of upgrading.

buttercarp
20-03-12, 11:55
So to address this 'problem', another 'problem' arises. If all HDB owners must stay in HDB, then there's no HDB rental market liao...

1. Currently, don't think there's enough PC rentals available to cater to the current rental demand.

2. PC rental might be too high for some foreigners, etc. so what can these people do? Go home; don't come? Then that opens yet another 'problem' for our govt liao.

3. If HDB owners can only sell their flats, demands for resale HDB must go up. This will inevitably eat into the BTO market which KBW is currently taking great pains and efforts to increase supply in. If they upset the balance, aren't they slapping their own face?

4. Next GE, PAP will step down liao... MBT's fingerprint on MND indirectly contributed to much dissatisfaction on the people, probably resulting in the loss of a GRC. KBW's fingerprint on MND might stir up a greater public unrest if HDB rental is terminated...

Wow.... good points you brought up.
I think even if they wanna implement new rules, they may implement it in such a way that it would not affect the present owners who are renting out their HDB.

price
20-03-12, 11:58
so u expect HDB owner to sell back HDB at original price? and in turn u want to sell yr PC at higher price for the upgrader. don forget bulk of PC buyers are upgrader from selling their HDB at decent profit. this is the whole idea of upgrading.

No that's not my idea. When did i ever say that? Please read carefully. We were talking about PC owners holding onto their HDBs. gosh. It is a stupid idea to sell ur hdb at cost :doh:

I'm just saying that this issue will be looked into. For e.g. if u own a PC u must dispose ur HDB or higher rental tax etc. Of course the idea of upgrading from HDB is good and it helped tonnes of Singaporeans make a lump sum of $$

price
20-03-12, 12:00
subsidies no doubt was granted, but that was at a time when a citizen qualifies so don't see why he shld be penalised.

Not penalising ma. Still can sell at a profit.

price
20-03-12, 12:01
Wow.... good points you brought up.
I think even if they wanna implement new rules, they may implement it in such a way that it would not affect the present owners who are renting out their HDB.

Yes that's what i'm thinking too.

Not suggesting any rules or regulations but my feel is that Govt will do something in time to come. :)

Ilikeu
20-03-12, 12:21
Yes that's what i'm thinking too.

Not suggesting any rules or regulations but my feel is that Govt will do something in time to come. :)

It is still based on the fundamental textbook teaching on Demand (both self-stay and rental) and Supply Curve. It looks like increasing the Supply is the lesser evil of the two parameters, and hence out govt are taking this approach more agressively.

ay123
20-03-12, 15:19
read this......those ppl who complain govt didnt do enuf to help them buy their choice flat should be ashame of themselve!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2084971/Cage-dogs-Hong-Kong-The-tragedy-thousands-living-4ft-2ft-rabbit-hutches--city-Louis-Vuitton-shops-Paris.html#ixzz1j9wu7ZnP (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2084971/Cage-dogs-Hong-Kong-The-tragedy-thousands-living-4ft-2ft-rabbit-hutches--city-Louis-Vuitton-shops-Paris.html#ixzz1j9wu7ZnP)

Montaigne
20-03-12, 15:26
So to address this 'problem', another 'problem' arises. If all HDB owners must stay in HDB, then there's no HDB rental market liao...

4. Next GE, PAP will step down liao... MBT's fingerprint on MND indirectly contributed to much dissatisfaction on the people, probably resulting in the loss of a GRC. KBW's fingerprint on MND might stir up a greater public unrest if HDB rental is terminated.

Point 3, supply will increase, not demand. Hence should lead to lower prices.

hyenergix
20-03-12, 18:15
Point 3, supply will increase, not demand. Hence should lead to lower prices.

Resources n land r finite. Increasing supplies solve today's problem but will worsen prices in future.

Arcachon
20-03-12, 18:56
Resources n land r finite. Increasing supplies solve today's problem but will worsen prices in future.
Supply only increase when the property price is high. EC only sell during the property peak, once property crash GLS, EC, DBSS and HDB stop selling. Right now the price is good that is why all the above increase in supply.

ysyap
20-03-12, 19:27
Point 3, supply will increase, not demand. Hence should lead to lower prices.Yes.. supply will increase. Didn't say demand will increase. I wrote demand must increase to balance that supply. Whether it will or not remains to be seen. And I agree that prices of resale HDB flats might drop as a result. However, my point is this increase in hdb resale supply would inevitably cause potential buyers of BTO to also be enticed to buy resale (with need for higher cash) coz of that drop in prices. As such, the BTO market might take another hit, just like during MBT's time when there was an oversupply in BTO flats... :cheers6:

radha08
20-03-12, 20:28
:simmering:
read this......those ppl who complain govt didnt do enuf to help them buy their choice flat should be ashame of themselve!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2084971/Cage-dogs-Hong-Kong-The-tragedy-thousands-living-4ft-2ft-rabbit-hutches--city-Louis-Vuitton-shops-Paris.html#ixzz1j9wu7ZnP (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2084971/Cage-dogs-Hong-Kong-The-tragedy-thousands-living-4ft-2ft-rabbit-hutches--city-Louis-Vuitton-shops-Paris.html#ixzz1j9wu7ZnP)

OMG thats PATHETIC...Hong Kong SUCKZZZZZZ:simmering:

teddybear
20-03-12, 20:54
See my comments in red below...

<- When rentals are high enough, citizens will vacant the PC and move to HDB flats.

<- Aren't these foreigners expected to be expats? If they don't earn so much they shouldn't be here in Singapore! We don't want those middle-income ones to be here to compete for jobs with citizens! So rental high is good so that we ensure the govt and employers only bring in real foreign expats!

<- Should increase resale HDB instead of ramping up BTO building because they are setting the stage for oversupply a few years down the road! Do they really see the long-term when they implement policies or to collect more revenues?

<- There was once HDB flats were not allowed to be rented out fully and owners must live in them even if they own PCs and no problem right? Why the fuss? It is in fact the allowing of full HDB renting out that is causing HDB resale prices to escalate! See that Toa Payoh 5rm flat transacted at $894k? :doh:

stiook
20-03-12, 21:15
I don't think it is not just allowing rental of whole unit that raise price... CM as well... By requiring private owners to sell PC before buying HDB, the upgraders will try to keep the unit if they can.

Also the low interest environment makes it worthwhile to stretch the loan to the max... So I think it is really a combination of various factors that causes the price increase.

20-03-12, 21:49
A fully paid HDB apartment rented out is like a goose that lays golden eggs each month. While some $600k MM condo unit is fetching $2k to $3k a month, a 30 year old 3 room flat can fetch about the same amount without high maintenance fee.

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/hdb-for-rent-331-ang-mo-kio-avenue-1-9090039

radha08
20-03-12, 22:57
A fully paid HDB apartment rented out is like a goose that lays golden eggs each month. While some $600k MM condo unit is fetching $2k to $3k a month, a 30 year old 3 room flat can fetch about the same amount without high maintenance fee.

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/hdb-for-rent-331-ang-mo-kio-avenue-1-9090039

wow thats high ...hmmm:rolleyes:

chiaberry
20-03-12, 23:00
Can it really achieve that rental? It's not even near MRT.

teddybear
20-03-12, 23:29
Cannot get one lah, ask only. I know real cases of 3RM HDB flats in Clementi, walking distance to MRT station, asking $2200 pm but no takers, people only willing to pay $2000 pm (2 rooms shared by 2 different people so each room $1000 pm). To pay more, people rather rent 4-rm HDB flat at $2400 pm in Clementi and share with friends (divide by 3 becomes $800 pm per room which is cheaper!). :beats-me-man:

Arcachon
21-03-12, 01:58
See my comments in red below...

如果牛不想喝水,你不能强迫它喝。

Arcachon
21-03-12, 02:01

Kill the goose, get the golden eggs and buy more goose that lay golden egg lah.

Arcachon
21-03-12, 02:16
Remember to kill the goose before 2018.

2011 HDB start to built 25K a year take 3 year to complete another 5 year MOP.

HDB tsunami start 2018 (2011+8).

Private Condo owner than can buy HDB because HDB price crash.

EC, DBSS, BTO, GLS all stop selling, Huat Ah.......

ysyap
21-03-12, 06:34

EC, DBSS, BTO, GLS all stop selling, Huat Ah.......Agreed to some extent.. also depend on the population then.. if govt opens flood gates then its a different ball game. Also, next GE may have something installed. Govt always chu pattern during GE. Housing landscape might change by then... However, good to keep 2018 in mind! Sell the goose by then after enjoying 8 years more of rental yield. :cheers5:

ysyap
21-03-12, 06:36
See my comments in red below...Pt 1 not all citizens will move back to to HDB even if rental yields go up up up... trust me.
Pt 2 govt will tell you there are jobs in Singapore that no locals would want to do so no choice have to get foreigners. Not all are expats...
Pt 3 and 4 agree w your comments!!! :)

hyenergix
21-03-12, 07:16
Good chance the government reduces number of additional PRs given to foreigners so it will not show up in statistics. But it gives them long-term visit passes. Hence the actual foreigners population increase may be higher (than shown in statistics) than we expect after all the "actions". I suspect there should be other schemes to prevent foreigners employment from showing up in statistics. This could be one of the reasons why rental didn't come down as much as I expect.

price
21-03-12, 09:15
In today's Straits Times, stated that people are holding onto their HDBs because if you own a PC, you have to dispose that off before buying a resale HDB. More and more people and young couples who do well in their career will move on to PC and milk their HDB rental. Govt will be eyeing on how to milk from these people soon too :D

devilplate
21-03-12, 09:39

yes....2018 is very crucial....HDB prices will crash the least and OCR PC will crash the most

however, 2018 is still 5-6yrs away. market may be killed by other global events by den....wakakakkaa

21-03-12, 09:40
Can it really achieve that rental? It's not even near MRT.

It is 3 bus stops (about 800 meters?) away from the mrt with a public pool (300 meters away), wet market and coffee shops (500 meters away) and facing the newly revamped $1 billion bishan park across the road.

So what do you think?:beats-me-man:

devilplate
21-03-12, 09:41
In today's Straits Times, stated that people are holding onto their HDBs because if you own a PC, you have to dispose that off before buying a resale HDB. More and more people and young couples who do well in their career will move on to PC and milk their HDB rental. Govt will be eyeing on how to milk from these people soon too :D
govt dare not milk these ppl one la.....

govt only despoly trying to please them.....the yng generation aka netizens

21-03-12, 09:42

Wait for lift upgrading before killing or wait for SERS??? :D

devilplate
21-03-12, 09:43
It is 3 bus stops (about 800 meters?) away from the mrt with a public pool (300 meters away), wet market and coffee shops (500 meters away) and facing the newly revamped $1 billion bishan park across the road.

So what do you think?:beats-me-man:

tats not the market rate.....goto HDB website u average rent is about 1.8-2k for 3rm flat

i noe some old 3rm flat of similar age around queenstown area within 500m to MRT commands 2-2.2k only

FYI http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10323p.nsf/w/RentOpenMktStatisticRent?OpenDocument

devilplate
21-03-12, 09:45
never sell ur HDB unless it can fetch above 600k+COV 100k++

sell 4xxk HDB can buy wat? OCR PC will crash more when the time comes

21-03-12, 09:48
Cannot get one lah, ask only. I know real cases of 3RM HDB flats in Clementi, walking distance to MRT station, asking $2200 pm but no takers, people only willing to pay $2000 pm (2 rooms shared by 2 different people so each room $1000 pm). To pay more, people rather rent 4-rm HDB flat at $2400 pm in Clementi and share with friends (divide by 3 becomes $800 pm per room which is cheaper!). :beats-me-man:

When I did my research on the rental of this area a few months ago, rental for a 3 room flat without furnishing stands between $1800 to $2000. The one with furnishing and aircon calls for $2200. Within a matter of weeks, ad was taken off. (So assume there's take up?)

Now months later, I see this :scared-5: asking price...(thinks this unit is fully furnished with aircon). Will observe how long the ad last.:cheers1:

21-03-12, 09:54
tats not the market rate.....goto HDB website u average rent is about 1.8-2k for 3rm flat

i noe some old 3rm flat of similar age around queenstown area within 500m to MRT commands 2-2.2k only

FYI http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10323p.nsf/w/RentOpenMktStatisticRent?OpenDocument

Yes, Devilplate.

That was what I found too when I researched on rental during last year end. So I'll probably observe and see how this particular one goes...

From what I know, 4 room flat was going for $2500 to $2800 depending on condition, furnishing or a/c or non a/c in Dec last year.

devilplate
21-03-12, 09:57
Yes, Devilplate.

That was what I found too when I researched on rental during last year end. So I'll probably observe and see how this particular one goes...

From what I know, 4 room flat was going for $2500 to $2800 depending on condition, furnishing or a/c or non a/c in Dec last year.
surely got some exceptional cases but we can only trust official data

anyway, wait other forummer might accuse u being an AGENT trying to push up rental.....wakakkakaa

price
21-03-12, 10:00
When I did my research on the rental of this area a few months ago, rental for a 3 room flat without furnishing stands between $1800 to $2000. The one with furnishing and aircon calls for $2200. Within a matter of weeks, ad was taken off. (So assume there's take up?)

Now months later, I see this :scared-5: asking price...(thinks this unit is fully furnished with aircon). Will observe how long the ad last.:cheers1:

Ad comes off doesnt mean rented at that price lar -.- simple logic.

price
21-03-12, 10:02
govt dare not milk these ppl one la.....

govt only despoly trying to please them.....the yng generation aka netizens

Haha so in your opinion you dont think govt will implement anything for HDB+PC owners?

devilplate
21-03-12, 10:05
Haha so in your opinion you dont think govt will implement anything for HDB+PC owners?
u see all the measures after GE?

all target the rich and help the middle class

EC income up to 12k and more 2nd timer eligible.....on the surface, it seems like the intention is to cool the OCR market.....BUT trust me, it ended up pushing EC px to NEW HIGH! so when EC px hit new high, OCR PC can drop anot? at the same time, we r seeing high end CCR ppty dropping liao.....

devilplate
21-03-12, 10:09
EC launches pricing haf been creeping up steadily since early 2011.....from 650-700psf to 750psf liao.....

wakakakakaka

21-03-12, 10:12
surely got some exceptional cases but we can only trust official data

anyway, wait other forummer might accuse u being an AGENT trying to push up rental.....wakakkakaa

True.

I wish I was an agent between 2009 and 2010 man! Then I would be earning tons of $$$$ and can buy my dream landed!!!!! :D

price
hmmmm :doh: When it's my time to get married I probably can't afford anything decent :banghead:

latour
u see all the measures after GE?

all target the rich and help the middle class

EC income up to 12k and more 2nd timer eligible.....on the surface, it seems like the intention is to cool the OCR market.....BUT trust me, it ended up pushing EC px to NEW HIGH! so when EC px hit new high, OCR PC can drop anot? at the same time, we r seeing high end CCR ppty dropping liao.....

agree. this year and into next year EC (which mainly in OCR) new launches, resale EC5 will continue to do well and support OCR mass market PC. So that land bid whether for LH99 PC or EC will continue to stay or move up, and its never garment's intention to crash the property market or sell cheap land anyway.

EileenTay
23-04-12, 13:22
Anybody know whats the market price of Renting Condo (http://www.rentalhdbsingapore.com/services.html)?

(http://www.rentalhdbsingapore.com/services.html)