PDA

View Full Version : Is the maintenance fee for freehold condo is a liability if it is for own stay??

roly8
18-03-12, 10:31
i find the maintenance fee for freehold condo is a liability in the long run if you are using for own stay.. :(

then this make me think of getting freehold landed housing instead..

what do you guys think?:)

eminor82
18-03-12, 10:41
I find it funny that u feel maintaining ur OWN property is a liability. In that case, don't u feel that eating three meals everyday is a liability too?

FYI, all properties u stay in ( be it condo, landed or hdb) u will need to pay a maintenance fees (MCST, town council, own maintenance fund for landed, etc). Unless ur property is a public property, I don't see how u can avoid paying any fees to maintain it.

i find the maintenance fee for freehold condo is a liability in the long run if you are using for own stay.. :(

devilplate
18-03-12, 10:41

Very super long term stay....of coz landed la....can rebuild every 20-30yrs as and when u suka.....And can pass on to nxt generation

sh
18-03-12, 11:09
Funny.... how come maintenance for FH is liability, maintenance for LH not liability?:confused:

Landed no maintenance meh? have to mow lawn, paint house every few years...

roly8
18-03-12, 11:15
I find it funny that u feel maintaining ur OWN property is a liability. In that case, don't u feel that eating three meals everyday is a liability too?

FYI, all properties u stay in ( be it condo, landed or hdb) u will need to pay a maintenance fees (MCST, town council, own maintenance fund for landed, etc). Unless ur property is a public property, I don't see how u can avoid paying any fees to maintain it.

i am thinking from the point when you upgrade from HDB to condo..

the difference you have to pay is huge...eg. 2 bed onward

2 bedders pay about $250 or more per month..?

PN
18-03-12, 11:26

Don't forget depending on the developement, you get most if not all the followings

A carpark slot, 24hrs security, swimming pool, Jacuzzi, BBQ pit, gym, tennis court, basketball court, playground, fitness park, nice garden & landscape, clean lift (no urine, no shit), reading room, etc

Not worth the $250 meh?

teddybear
18-03-12, 11:28
Maintenance fee for HDB flat (e.g. 5-rm flat):
- car park: $90 pm
- conservation charges: $75 pm
- rubbish: $20

So for ZERO facilities, you also need to pay $185 pm?

Compare that to a 3BR condo paying about $300 pm but you get free use of gym, swimming pool, children playground, greenery, tennis court, Sauna, BBQ pit, function room for holding birthday parties & other parties etc, free car park, enclosed estate compound + 2 security guards with 24 hours security etc. Which is more worth it?

Sometimes to think of it, where do they spend all the $185 pm huh for ZERO facility? Invest in structured deposits and then lost most of those money which they had done previously? :doh:

ikan bilis
18-03-12, 11:32
all real-estates are liability....:scared-3: ... unless you pay fully in ca$h... ;)
or may be can follow some1 camp at changi for lowest liability.... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

to make you feel better and have a nicer sunny sunday morning hor....
- condo maintenance of $250/month

equals to:
- 2x car packing at HDB, $65*2=$130
- pay $30/month for swimming pool
- pay $30/month for landscaping & daily cleaning
- pay $30/month for security guard
- pay $30/month for etc etc, ... i.e. mosquitoes fogging, "more class/looking good", gym equipment...
- pay $30/month for nicer view, bikinis babes and etc...

you still make $30.... happy now??... :im-so-happy:

teddybear
18-03-12, 11:33
To rebuild a terrace or semi-D costs $500k at least (ZERO design). Landed properties are built to last 30 years.

Condos are built to last >100 years (quality different).

Is it any wonder why you pay much much more $PSF for construction of condos? :beats-me-man:

Very super long term stay....of coz landed la....can rebuild every 20-30yrs as and when u suka.....And can pass on to nxt generation

roly8
18-03-12, 11:51
all real-estates are liability....:scared-3: ... unless you pay fully in ca$h... ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

equals to:
- pay $30/month for etc etc, ... i.e. mosquitoes fogging, "more class/looking good", gym equipment...

you still make $30.... happy now??... :im-so-happy:

lol :D:D:D .. hope got lor.. :p

Don't forget depending on the developement, you get most if not all the followings

A carpark slot, 24hrs security, swimming pool, Jacuzzi, BBQ pit, gym, tennis court, basketball court, playground, fitness park, nice garden & landscape, clean lift (no urine, no shit), reading room, etc

Not worth the $250 meh?

Compare that to a 3BR condo paying about $300 pm but you get free use of gym, swimming pool, children playground, greenery, tennis court, Sauna, BBQ pit, function room for holding birthday parties & other parties etc, free car park, enclosed estate compound + 2 security guards with 24 hours security etc. Which is more worth it?

Sometimes to think of it, where do they spend all the $185 pm huh for ZERO facility? Invest in structured deposits and then lost most of those money which they had done previously? :doh:

thx for sharing the info.. feel more enlightened now! :p:p

ikan bilis
18-03-12, 11:57
if you wanna stay in condo and enjoy the facilities... don't get heart pain about the $300/month...
if your heart only in investment $$... then buy condo/landed and rent out... keep hdb for own stay...

:rolleyes: ;)

minority
18-03-12, 12:24

Reality hdb, condo or landed haves maintance cost. Landed tax n goverment hand out also diff. So if u are concern on cost stay put in ur hdb. Nothing can beat that.

zzz1
18-03-12, 14:44

The maintenance fee for landed is even unpredictable, depending on the age, the leak from the roof and worst between the wall joint which u will never get it fix( pressure grouting) ranging few k each time is more ex . And that go without facilities usage .

carbuncle
18-03-12, 15:31

...:

I know at least a handful of small or boutique projects with maint <$155... I didn't know HDB's is so ex!!!

kane
18-03-12, 15:47
I know at least a handful of small or boutique projects with maint <$155... I didn't know HDB's is so ex!!!

Most people use GIRO so much until the forgotten how much they've been billed a month by HDB.

hyenergix
18-03-12, 15:55
The maintenance fee for landed is even unpredictable, depending on the age, the leak from the roof and worst between the wall joint which u will never get it fix( pressure grouting) ranging few k each time is more ex . And that go without facilities usage .

Prob this is e reason y pp cash out of landed in recent years.

roly8
18-03-12, 15:56

30 yr already...confirm got problem here & there..:scared-3::scared-3:

kane
18-03-12, 16:07
30 year old estate sure got adjacent neighbours tear down and rebuild, and put your structure under a bit of stress.

ysyap
18-03-12, 16:11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

equals to:

you still make $30.... happy now??... :im-so-happy:$65 for carpark are those open carparks... MSC asking for $90/mth liao... Think cisco security alarm you can install in hdb flat probably cost more than $30/mth. :D

Santro
18-03-12, 21:45
Just to add on to what bro Ikan Bilis said...the facilities are not limited just to you but your family. If you have school going kids, then they have the convenience of learning swimming or other sports within the condo. Its more of a lifestyle, safety and comfort :) .

if you wanna stay in condo and enjoy the facilities... don't get heart pain about the $300/month...
if your heart only in investment $$... then buy condo/landed and rent out... keep hdb for own stay...

zzz1
18-03-12, 22:19
For landed u need to set a side more budget for the maintenance ...

extremme
18-03-12, 22:25
For landed u need to set a side more budget for the maintenance ...
yes just to paint exterior is already a five figure sum !

roly8
18-03-12, 22:36

wow :scared-4:

how many years interval do you plan to do the re-painting?

zzz1
18-03-12, 23:14

i come to know that the paint material cost had risen quite alot recently...

For external must use anti fugi type, else aft 1/2 a year, will turn greenish or blackish

radha08
18-03-12, 23:21

good advice...:cool:

zzz1
19-03-12, 20:37

Nn fix time interval , is really depend how long u can than or when u have these spare budget...
Even if u paint, likely u will paint a portion of it...thing like the boundary wall where it is easy reach can DIY, those need staging will properly not be painted till god know when...

extremme
19-03-12, 22:41

me no landed ... but my uncle was complaining abt e painting cost.. I think after 10 yrs for repAinting

mkl22
19-03-12, 23:12
like i mentioned in a previous thread. my parents place(inter terrace) 21years from new. spent 10-15k at most till now on maintenance/minor improvements on the external. so to me landed is indeed cheaper than a condo.
There were minor leaks on the roof, but i repaired it DIY. cost me less than 200bucks in total and those roofing companies say must change roof etc etc and wanna ketok.
Neighbor also did major A&A 6years back also never affected anything. so those who say landed costs a lot to maintain are just sway to buy a lousy unit.

teddybear
19-03-12, 23:21
Wah, able to repair leaks on roof? You are not "normal" man!
How many people can repair their leaks on roof? :o
Repairing roof's leaks is one of the most expensive item and yet the most common in landed property! :mad:

No lah, because they want cheap so buy a very old unit thinking that they just touch up will do and so will be cheaper than living in condo or those where seller just do "cosmetic beautification" to look like new on the outside (but rotten in the inside)....... :doh:

like i mentioned in a previous thread. my parents place(inter terrace) 21years from new. spent 10-15k at most till now on maintenance/minor improvements on the external. so to me landed is indeed cheaper than a condo.
There were minor leaks on the roof, but i repaired it DIY. cost me less than 200bucks in total and those roofing companies say must change roof etc etc and wanna ketok.
Neighbor also did major A&A 6years back also never affected anything. so those who say landed costs a lot to maintain are just sway to buy a lousy unit.

insigina
19-03-12, 23:22

Very true.The trick is to spend about 10k every 8 to 10 years to do repainting and some minor touch-up. To me a big advantage of landed is from the time you lock-up your house and start up your car, it is less than 20 seconds!!! Its especially appreciated after you have done your weekly groceries and transfer your stuff from car to house. Very convenient.

teddybear
19-03-12, 23:25
How about pest control every week? No?
How about beating mosquitoes and chasing houseflies everyday? :p
How about the cockroaches crawling everywhere at night?

Bungalows-in-the-sky sure will not have all the above problem!

Very true.The trick is to spend about 10k every 8 to 10 years to do repainting and some minor touch-up. To me a big advantage of landed is from the time you lock-up your house and start up your car, it is less than 20 seconds!!! Its especially appreciated after you have done your weekly groceries and transfer your stuff from car to house. Very convenient.

insigina
19-03-12, 23:52
How about pest control every week? No?
How about beating mosquitoes and chasing houseflies everyday? :p
How about the cockroaches crawling everywhere at night?

Bungalows-in-the-sky sure will not have all the above problem!

I have been staying in my present landed for 20 years. Never had pest problems before...unbelieveable but true.

mkl22
19-03-12, 23:54
Wah, able to repair leaks on roof? You are not "normal" man!
How many people can repair their leaks on roof? :o
Repairing roof's leaks is one of the most expensive item and yet the most common in landed property! :mad:

No lah, because they want cheap so buy a very old unit thinking that they just touch up will do and so will be cheaper than living in condo or those where seller just do "cosmetic beautification" to look like new on the outside (but rotten in the inside)....... :doh:

the design of the house was such that i could climb up to the roof from the balcony without any ladders. it was rather hard work patching the cement cracks for the tiled roof. had to do it in the day and boy was the roof hot.
used Dow Corning weatherproof silicone and a DAVCO sealant to patch. its been 3 years since i completed the roof and till now no leaks. For sure the leaks will come back in a few years because of continuous beating of the sun and rain. But to last or 3years isnt too bad compared with the previous lousy job by some roofer.

hyenergix
20-03-12, 07:55
the design of the house was such that i could climb up to the roof from the balcony without any ladders. it was rather hard work patching the cement cracks for the tiled roof. had to do it in the day and boy was the roof hot.
used Dow Corning weatherproof silicone and a DAVCO sealant to patch. its been 3 years since i completed the roof and till now no leaks. For sure the leaks will come back in a few years because of continuous beating of the sun and rain. But to last or 3years isnt too bad compared with the previous lousy job by some roofer.

B careful of DIY roof repair. If e roof support gives way, u might b in heaven. Happened to many roof workers in Singapore.

zzz1
20-03-12, 08:14
Deterioration with age never deceive , is matter of time u kana one unprepared. Unless u evey 21 years change new unit, else is matter of time with age the 'swayness' will come to visit u.

Laguna
20-03-12, 08:24
B careful of DIY roof repair. If e roof support gives way, u might b in heaven. Happened to many roof workers in Singapore.

I had a friend was repairing the roof on DIY, and fall to his death. In his mid 40+. A very sad case

kane
20-03-12, 08:25
One other thing to deal with is the dust from your neighbours undergoing major renovation.

mkl22
20-03-12, 09:05

yes you are right. was a little scary sometimes. too extra care, but you never know. oh well.. doubt i will be able or daring enough come a few years time. But the main reason i did it was because i got fed up of contractors coming to say they can do it. and in the end do a shoddy job and having them come back repeatedly or worst tell you its like that and need to change the roof. the level of work in Singapore sucks... everyone just wants to make a quick buck and siam. even if you pay more doesnt mean quality nowadays. really tough to find honest and dependable contractors.

roly8
20-03-12, 09:39
One other thing to deal with is the dust from your neighbours undergoing major renovation.

make me want go with corner terrace..
:spliff:

chiaberry
20-03-12, 10:27
yes you are right. was a little scary sometimes. too extra care, but you never know. oh well.. doubt i will be able or daring enough come a few years time. But the main reason i did it was because i got fed up of contractors coming to say they can do it. and in the end do a shoddy job and having them come back repeatedly or worst tell you its like that and need to change the roof. the level of work in Singapore sucks... everyone just wants to make a quick buck and siam. even if you pay more doesnt mean quality nowadays. really tough to find honest and dependable contractors.

Totally agree. The standard of workmanship these days is not the same as before. Our parents may have had no major problems with their houses built 30+ years ago. But nowadays it is not uncommon to come across friends/relatives whose new or rebuilt/renovated landed property developed problems after only a few years. Unless you are knowledgeable and willing to go regularly to supervise the reconstruction or building of your own landed, there's no telling what is lurking beneath the gleaming new tiles or beautifully painted walls. Having said that, the same applies for condos too (new or old).

fclim
20-03-12, 10:36
Totally agree. The standard of workmanship these days is not the same as before. Our parents may have had no major problems with their houses built 30+ years ago. But nowadays it is not uncommon to come across friends/relatives whose new or rebuilt/renovated landed property developed problems after only a few years. Unless you are knowledgeable and willing to go regularly to supervise the reconstruction or building of your own landed, there's no telling what is lurking beneath the gleaming new tiles or beautifully painted walls. Having said that, the same applies for condos too (new or old).

Of course. What can we expect? Singaporeans dun wan these jobs. Mostly unskilled foreign labour. The worst of our students get chanelled to Normal (Technical) stream and end up in ITE. Normal (Academic) cmi to O levels also end up in ITE. Polys get the worst of the O level students for engineering.

MRT is starting to break down. Flood problems aren't resolved. I won't be surprised if other systems like power, traffic lights, plumbing, sewage etc break down too. You need good engineers and technicians to maintain these essential systems. Sending our least academically inclined students to technical courses and relying on cheap unskilled foreign manpower won't help.

price
20-03-12, 10:42
Of course. What can we expect? Singaporeans dun wan these jobs. Mostly unskilled foreign labour. The worst of our students get chanelled to Normal (Technical) stream and end up in ITE. Normal (Academic) cmi to O levels also end up in ITE. Polys get the worst of the O level students for engineering.

MRT is starting to break down. Flood problems aren't resolved. I won't be surprised if other systems like power, traffic lights, plumbing, sewage etc break down too. You need good engineers and technicians to maintain these essential systems. Sending our least academically inclined students to technical courses won't help.

I agree that the streaming system is flawed. Look at how aussies take pride in their jobs as plumbers, contractors etc. They get paid well, live well. I got a friend who does floor laying there and drives a BMW to work. Got married pretty young and live in a big landed house. We can't afford that but at least we shouldnt discriminate such jobs.

fclim
20-03-12, 10:54
I agree that the streaming system is flawed. Look at how aussies take pride in their jobs as plumbers, contractors etc. They get paid well, live well. I got a friend who does floor laying there and drives a BMW to work. Got married pretty young and live in a big landed house. We can't afford that but at least we shouldnt discriminate such jobs.

The Aussie government has very strict quotas on foreign labour. That's why plumbers and technical people earn good pay. But productivity and skills are high in Aust. to command such pay. In China, there was a recent report that a plumber earned more than the engineering graduate, who shunned such jobs and prefer lower paying aircon office sales jobs.

The S'pore government just relaxed foreign worker quotas on tentage workers. They took the easy way out. Sigh! Wages for manual work will continue to be depressed. Productivity will continue to be low.

mkl22
20-03-12, 11:11

new HDB's also shoddy construction. what to do. it affects all products nowadays. cars, PCs etc etc. but for the home it is irritating, you have to take leave for the contractor to come to fix and then they also 'fly you aeroplane' and do not appear. in the end some amount of DIY skills is good. i have had done my fair share of DIY for cars and houses. Of course made a few mistakes and paid "tuition fees" to learn it the hard way. but in the end there is a satisfaction of a job done right and well.