PDA

View Full Version : Singaporeans get ABSOLUTE priority over PRs when balloting for P1 places

bargain hunter
25-03-12, 16:55
S'poreans to get priority for P1 places during balloting: MOE
Posted: 25 March 2012 1447 hrs

SINGAPORE: From this year, Singaporeans will get absolute priority over permanent residents when it comes to balloting for primary school places.

The Education Ministry said where balloting is required during Primary One registration, Singaporeans will be admitted first ahead of permanent residents, before home-school distance is considered.

For example, when the number of applications exceed the number of school places, Singaporeans who live closer to the school of choice will get higher priority compared to Singaporeans who live further away.

Citizens living within one kilometre will be admitted first, followed by those who live between one kilometre and two kilometres from school.

Singaporeans who live outside two kilometres of the school of choice will then be given a place.

If there are still vacancies in the school after all eligible Singaporean children have been admitted after balloting, places will be given to permanent residents, with priority given to those who live closer to school.

MOE said by giving Singaporeans priority over PRs only when balloting is required, it retains the underlying principles of the Primary One registration framework, which reflect a careful balance of considerations, and provide for diversity in Singapore schools, while according citizens a further privilege.

This is on top of a measure introduced in 2010, where Singaporeans are given two ballot slips for each child for Primary One registration, while PRs get one ballot slip per child.

MOE also announced that there will be seven new primary schools next year - five in the new towns of Sengkang and Punggol, and one each in Jurong West and Woodlands.

- CNA/cc

august
25-03-12, 21:38
This is loooooooooooong overdue.

avo7007
26-03-12, 09:00
What's the implication for properties near hot schools?:scared-5:

roly8
26-03-12, 10:07
make PR want to convert to SC.. ;)

hyenergix
26-03-12, 10:08
What's the implication for properties near hot schools?:scared-5:

It will get hotter!

devilplate
26-03-12, 10:46
It will get hotter!
on the contrary, will some SC tink tat now they got higher chances to get into gd schools by staying within 1-2km....so they go and GRAB one??!?!?!

possible sia

wakakakakkaa

Wild Falcon
26-03-12, 10:49
Don't think so. 1km always got good chance... More like PR give up and move to neighbourhood areas bah.

on the contrary, will some SC tink tat now they got higher chances to get into gd schools by staying within 1-2km....so they go and GRAB one??!?!?!

possible sia

wakakakakkaa

ronyyk76
26-03-12, 10:55
Don't think so. 1km always got good chance... More like PR give up and move to neighbourhood areas bah.

Rich PRs who can afford good condo in prime, will feel contended enrolling their children in some neighbourhood schools mixing with Ah-bang's children...Strange right?

price
26-03-12, 10:58
So many new schools gonna be built in seng kang and punggol. Does that mean the new generations' children will all be going to these "unknown" schools since none of the famous schools are near to the recent influx of BTOS in punggol?

Wild Falcon
26-03-12, 10:59
Not sure that generalisation is correct. Live in neighbourhood - ah beng? PRs are not necessarily rich. As I've mentioned before, the only PRs affected are PRC and Malaysians - and from my observation, many are mere middle class and not less beng than a child who grow up in Ang Mo Kio neighbourhood.

Rich PRs who can afford good condo in prime, will feel contended enrolling their children in some neighbourhood schools mixing with Ah-bang's children...Strange right?

chiaberry
26-03-12, 11:04
A lot of people have this thinking that if the kid is bright it will make no difference whether he/she goes to a branded sch or not.

However, what if your kid is NOT so bright? One advantage of certain branded sch is that they are feeder schools to their affiliated sec schools and they can get into their affiliated sec schools with a lower cut-off PSLE score. This is especially helpful if your kid is not so bright to be able to get into a top sec sch and yet you don't wish to send him/her to some neighbourhood sec school where the standards are a bit dubious and the company there may be undesirable (gangsters etc).

It's not all about the bright ones. They can go to a good sec school anyway. It's those who fall in between who might suffer (in the range of PSLE scores 200 to 240). Being in an affiliated sch can make all the difference in the sec school as it allows the slow developer to catch up in the early sec classes. I have friends whose kids scored 230+ at PSLE got into the IB programme at ACS Independent after doing well at Sec 1 and 2. If they were not from the affiliated sch of ACS Independent they would not even have this chance to get in as the PSLE cut-off for non-ACS affiliated sch is over 250. The cut-off for ACS affiliated sch is 235.

hyenergix
26-03-12, 11:06

possible sia

wakakakakkaa

Yes, I'm of the view this rule makes it more worthwhile for SC parents to buy or rent a property near good schools, so properties around them will hold or increase in their values.

There are about 541k PRs and 3772k Resident Population, so by simplistic proportion, there will be probably about 15% higher chance for SC students to get into the good schools if all PRs were filtered off. However we do not know if there is any change in % discretionary intake the principals have for special cases like donations, special talents or VVIP parents.

wannabe
26-03-12, 11:11
It will get hotter!

Yeah! more SC more demand for landed.... lolz

Wild Falcon
26-03-12, 11:14
That I agree. Unfortunately, people are fighting to get into non-affiliated primary schools like NYPS, RGPS, Tao Nan which is complete waste of time. There are still lots of students in such schools who CMI.

A lot of people have this thinking that if the kid is bright it will make no difference whether he/she goes to a branded sch or not.

However, what if your kid is NOT so bright? One advantage of certain branded sch is that they are feeder schools to their affiliated sec schools and they can get into their affiliated sec schools with a lower cut-off PSLE score. This is especially helpful if your kid is not so bright to be able to get into a top sec sch and yet you don't wish to send him/her to some neighbourhood sec school where the standards are a bit dubious and the company there may be undesirable (gangsters etc).

It's not all about the bright ones. They can go to a good sec school anyway. It's those who fall in between who might suffer (in the range of PSLE scores 200 to 240). Being in an affiliated sch can make all the difference in the sec school as it allows the slow developer to catch up in the early sec classes. I have friends whose kids scored 230+ at PSLE got into the IB programme at ACS Independent after doing well at Sec 1 and 2. If they were not from the affiliated sch of ACS Independent they would not even have this chance to get in as the PSLE cut-off for non-ACS affiliated sch is over 250. The cut-off for ACS affiliated sch is 235.

chiaberry
26-03-12, 11:15
Yes, I'm of the view this rule makes it more worthwhile for SC parents to buy or rent a property near good schools, so properties around them will hold or increase in their values.

There are about 541k PRs and 3772k Resident Population, so by simplistic proportion, there will be probably about 15% higher chance for SC students to get into the good schools if all PRs were filtered off. However we do not know if there is any change in % discretionary intake the principals have for special cases like donations, special talents or VVIP parents.

For all you know, 200 to 300K PRs may decide to convert to SC and principals might quietly up their internal quota for "special cases" so the advantage may not be as great as 15%.

devilplate
26-03-12, 11:26
Yeah! more SC more demand for landed.... lolz
wah piang

landed boy :p

wakakakakak

devilplate
26-03-12, 11:28
For all you know, 200 to 300K PRs may decide to convert to SC and principals might quietly up their internal quota for "special cases" so the advantage may not be as great as 15%.
hopefully govt set their standards higher hor.....not any tom dick harry can take up SC hopefully!!!

i still believe tat rich PRs will rather pay for international schools den taking up SC :p

wannabe
26-03-12, 11:29
wah piang

landed boy :p

wakakakakak

lolz.... somemore just 900m from TAO NAN.... wakakakakak

devilplate
26-03-12, 11:29
wakakakaka

good to have a DREAM! :D

wannabe
26-03-12, 11:31
wakakakaka

good to have a DREAM! :D

I sleep well everynight. Always dreaming.
wakakakakak

hyenergix
26-03-12, 11:33

Yes, I think both will happen. PR numbers mysteriously dropped in 2011 compared to 2010. What is clear to me is properties near these good schools will definitely be propped up further, since the 1-km criteria is greatly emphasised in this new policy.

wannabe
26-03-12, 11:34
Yes, I think both will happen. PR numbers mysteriously dropped in 2011 compared to 2010. What is clear to me is properties near these good schools will definitely be propped up further, since the 1-km criteria is greatly emphasised in this new policy.

HUAT AH!!!!

Wild Falcon
26-03-12, 11:36
Perhaps. But I hope our garment dun anyhow give out SC like toilet paper to any Tom Dick and Harry PR.

Frankly, I'm always very impressed how everything can be linked to property huat in this forum. The impact is not signficant. How does this lead to property huat? Remember, there are few groups of people

1) Parents who already have an elite education - no desperation to move into 1km of any school since got affiliation or alumni

2) Parents without elite education but wants kids to have elite education. The desperados with constraints.

3) Parents without eleite education but doesn't mind sending kids to neighbourhood schools.

So only #2 type are the desperate ones. And they will not move the market significantly. And there are others who don't have kids or kids already pass primary 1 stage and dun mind buying any house anywhere with no restrictions.

chiaberry
26-03-12, 11:38
That I agree. Unfortunately, people are fighting to get into non-affiliated primary schools like NYPS, RGPS, Tao Nan which is complete waste of time. There are still lots of students in such schools who CMI.

Totally agree. Only a minority of students from non-affiliated pri sch will make it into the top secondary sch.

In my opinion, it is better to cultivate strong interest in a particular CCA eg swimming as it will give very very high priority for getting into a top sec sch regardless of academic prowess (provided the kid does not have PSLE score of less than 200). RI and HCI are happy to grant DSA for top sports performers even though their PSLE scores are in the low 200s.

chiaberry
26-03-12, 11:43

You have a kid?

If going to Tao Nan and not strong in Chinese and your family background in Chinese is weak, the kid might suffer.....if your Chinese background not strong, move nearer to ACS sch (Barker/Junior) as the kid will be more at ease there (the Mother Tongue standard is low and the affiliated sec sch is waiting to nurture your darling no matter how bad is his/her MT score - B syllabus also available).

Huat-ah! for properties within 1km of pri sch with affiliations.

devilplate
26-03-12, 11:48
You have a kid?

If going to Tao Nan and not strong in Chinese and your family background in Chinese is weak, the kid might suffer.....if your Chinese background not strong, move nearer to ACS sch (Barker/Junior) as the kid will be more at ease there (the Mother Tongue standard is low and the affiliated sec sch is waiting to nurture your darling no matter how bad is his/her MT score - B syllabus also available).

aiya...he own 1 or a few landed near taonan and dreaming to HUAT HUAT ARGH!!!

wannabe
26-03-12, 12:13
You have a kid?

HUAT AH!!! HUAT AH!!! HUAT AH!!! lolz

wannabe
26-03-12, 12:14
You have a kid?

I'm from ACS though... lolz..

chiaberry
26-03-12, 12:17
I'm from ACS though... lolz..

ROFL then you have no problems with your son getting in no matter where you live.

Congrats to you huat-argh!!! :cheers4:

ysyap
26-03-12, 15:23
Not absolute priority lah... subjected to different phases still... PR can still be ahead of SC if they're in the earlier phase? Tell media don't anyhow use the word absolute... its merely conditional priority... or have I misinterpreted MOE's press release?

devilplate
26-03-12, 18:18
Not absolute priority lah... subjected to different phases still... PR can still be ahead of SC if they're in the earlier phase? Tell media don't anyhow use the word absolute... its merely conditional priority... or have I misinterpreted MOE's press release?
absolute priority within each phase....?

masterkey
26-03-12, 18:40

Agreed. This is a half-ass measure. PRs who benefited from PAP's benevalence and have kids in good schools will continue to benefit using the "siblings priority" scheme. The so-called ABSOLUTE PRIORITY can also be overcome by being a parent/community volunteer or by joining affiliated Associations. Join as grassroots leaders, can enjoy free car park some more!

ysyap
26-03-12, 21:49
Agreed. This is a half-ass measure. PRs who benefited from PAP's benevalence and have kids in good schools will continue to benefit using the "siblings priority" scheme. The so-called ABSOLUTE PRIORITY can also be overcome by being a parent/community volunteer or by joining affiliated Associations. Join as grassroots leaders, can enjoy free car park some more!Yup... just in case we are so grateful to the govt for implementing this rule and forget that a PR can still decide if he/she wants to be ahead of a SC... I will not deny that for a good school like Ai Tong, probably every phase will be oversubscribed by SCs therefore PRs have absolutely no chance, they can still opt for the good schools in the next best tier... :)

ysyap
26-03-12, 21:50
absolute priority within each phase....?That's exactly what I told my colleagues... it only sounded good for the MIW at the intial public announcement but after thinking further, its really no big deal (just a small deal)... :doh:

Antione
26-03-12, 23:07
Govt is really not smart.

If they truly want to send message that all Primary schools are equal in terms of quality. And it doesn't really matter which school one goes to, the registration scheme must be completely based on distance, the nearer the higher priority, breaking it down to every 100m, instead of 1Km, 2Km. Do they not know within 1Km to 2Km, the area is 4 times as large as within 1Km?
In this way, kids at the edge of 2Km will not be of equal priority than one at the edge of 1Km. The kids will chose to go another school nearer instead, afterall all Primary schools are supposed to be "equal".

devilplate
26-03-12, 23:56
Govt is really not smart.

If they truly want to send message that all Primary schools are equal in terms of quality. And it doesn't really matter which school one goes to, the registration scheme must be completely based on distance, the nearer the higher priority, breaking it down to every 100m, instead of 1Km, 2Km. Do they not know within 1Km to 2Km, the area is 4 times as large as within 1Km?
In this way, kids at the edge of 2Km will not be of equal priority than one at the edge of 1Km. The kids will chose to go another school nearer instead, afterall all Primary schools are supposed to be "equal".
Sporeans very hard to please arghhhhhhhh

Help help :p

bargain hunter
27-03-12, 00:06
its MOE who used the word absolute. after diving into the details then i realised its absolute only in each phase.

as i have repeated many times, schools must also give absolute priority to SC PV when they apply to become PVs for this thing to work.

Antione
27-03-12, 02:10

There is a reason why people are not happy and losing trust in govt. From a simple P1 registration, you can tell their mentaliy, policy and how they set priorty. By thinking people are hard to please over a poor policy is just an excuse over a poor job done.

land118
27-03-12, 06:31
after years of pleads from citizens, finally Gahmen realize their failings in P1 reg. system...;for too long many have lost a chance to get their children into a choice school near their homes...:doh:

ysyap
27-03-12, 06:41
its MOE who used the word absolute. after diving into the details then i realised its absolute only in each phase.

as i have repeated many times, schools must also give absolute priority to SC PV when they apply to become PVs for this thing to work.Not all who apply to be PV is successful... sigh! To apply, you also have to be 1 year ahead. So all in all, its about 1.5 years before the day your child steps into P1, the parent must contact the school liao... :scared-4:

minority
27-03-12, 08:38

yeah lor.. frankly removing all Foreigners is not going to benefit singapore and singaporean. We all luv property no foreigners buy where will the plan for singaporean buy then sell the property to foreigners work?

What I feel is government need to improve infra n reduce the resource crunch. all this measures are not going to please any one. Locals are hard to please n keep Potential Foreigners out.

In the end the Singaporean end up worst off being impacted by slower growth and lost in competitivness.

eng81157
27-03-12, 09:12
yeah lor.. frankly removing all Foreigners is not going to benefit singapore and singaporean. We all luv property no foreigners buy where will the plan for singaporean buy then sell the property to foreigners work?

What I feel is government need to improve infra n reduce the resource crunch. all this measures are not going to please any one. Locals are hard to please n keep Potential Foreigners out.

In the end the Singaporean end up worst off being impacted by slower growth and lost in competitivness.

well, just last week didn't the government announce more land being set aside for foreign international school? i don't think the government will turn off the tap on foreigners entirely. one can see that infrastructure is being spruced up a fair bit to accommodate the needs of a larger population, e.g. hospitals, transport, school, etc. my personal opinion is that these measures are stop-gap solutions to address the brewing discontent among the voters while preparing for the inevitable push to a 6m population

land118
27-03-12, 09:26
well, just last week didn't the government announce more land being set aside for foreign international school? i don't think the government will turn off the tap on foreigners entirely. one can see that infrastructure is being spruced up a fair bit to accommodate the needs of a larger population, e.g. hospitals, transport, school, etc. my personal opinion is that these measures are stop-gap solutions to address the brewing discontent among the voters while preparing for the inevitable push to a 6m population
Yes, underlying intention is there. For sure, the foreigner tap will continue to open, and more will come in soon. Since we can't have more babies, foreigner tap will remain open. Old man already said so and hint again recently:

"Like it or not, unless we have more babies, we need to accept immigrants."

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120204-0000041/Singapore-needs-to-accept-immigrants

'Singapore needs to accept immigrants'

by Sumita Sreedharan
04:46 AM Feb 04, 2012

SINGAPORE - Buffered from the turmoil in Europe and slowdown in the United States, Singapore is unlikely to see a negative economic growth rate, barring further external negative shocks, said former Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew (picture) yesterday.

But he cautioned it is the nation's diminishing population which will "slow down" the economy.

Urging Singaporeans to accept immigrants, even as he acknowledged "many Singaporeans are not comfortable seeing so many new strange faces", Mr Lee said that the biggest challenge the nation faces is in increasing its population as birth rates continue to fall.

Last year, the fertility rate stood at 1.08 for Chinese, 1.09 for Indians and 1.64 for Malays. The replacement rate is 2.1.

"In other words the population of Chinese Singaporeans in the next generation, 18 to 20 years, will half," said Mr Lee, who was speaking at the Tanjong Pagar GRC and Radin Mas SMC Chinese New Year celebration dinner.

He attributed the change in lifestyle as the most likely cause of the low birth rate as pregnancies mean stopping work and a loss of income.

"Then when they (women) return to the workforce, they may find that their peers who have not had babies have moved ahead," he said, adding that those with high incomes may then defer marriage or stay single.

Mr Lee said a "grave problem" is that 44.2 per cent of men and 31 per cent of women between the ages of 30 and 34 have remained single.

Education has played a role in women getting married later, he noted. "Women can wait to choose husbands who they feel are better than them, earning more and can help raise the family together," said Mr Lee.

Taking Japan as an example of a country that chose not to accept immigrants, Mr Lee said "the price the Japanese pay is a shrinking and ageing population".

"Less young people means less sales of new cars, new stereos, new computers, new iPhones, iPads, new clothes, and fine dining," he said.

"It is a choice Singapore cannot afford to make. Like it or not, unless we have more babies, we need to accept immigrants."

masterkey
27-03-12, 09:30
There is a reason why people are not happy and losing trust in govt. From a simple P1 registration, you can tell their mentaliy, policy and how they set priorty. By thinking people are hard to please over a poor policy is just an excuse over a poor job done.
Exactly right! It's ironic that countries with electorates that are really hard to please NEVER claim their people are hard to please. But Singaporeans who have demonstrated through the years that they are compliant and cooperative in many important policies (e.g. CPF cuts, NS) are regularly accused of being difficult! :doh:

masterkey
27-03-12, 09:33
Not all who apply to be PV is successful... sigh! To apply, you also have to be 1 year ahead. So all in all, its about 1.5 years before the day your child steps into P1, the parent must contact the school liao... :scared-4:

It is true that citizens are mostly working mothers, whereas PR wives are not?

land118
27-03-12, 09:45
Surprisely, CIA rank S'pore bottom of the list...:scared-1:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2127rank.html

Lowest birth rate in the world..., am sure Gahmen knows the seriousness of this, foreigners tap need to open, more will be coming....., good news for property and rental..:D

eng81157
27-03-12, 09:50
Exactly right! It's ironic that countries with electorates that are really hard to please NEVER claim their people are hard to please. But Singaporeans who have demonstrated through the years that they are compliant and cooperative in many important policies (e.g. CPF cuts, NS) are regularly accused of being difficult! :doh:

YOU WILL REPENT!! YOUR MOTHERS AND SISTERS WILL BE MAIDS IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES!!! :D

price
27-03-12, 09:51
When u invest in Singapore, u will appreciate the govt policies more

chiaberry
27-03-12, 09:58
Good morning, peeps.

You guys/gurls are not doing enough for our country. Need to have more babies! I see some of you salivating over the prospect of singles being able to buy BTOs. I know there's quite a few of you on this forum who are single or married without kids. Time to think. Rather than spend your time in showrooms or viewing properties, perhaps consider making some effort to get a partner and have kids.

auntie Chiaberry checking out. I have done my duty already. Full-time working mother to 3 kids. :cheers4:

devilplate
27-03-12, 10:16
Good morning, peeps.

You guys/gurls are not doing enough for our country. Need to have more babies! I see some of you salivating over the prospect of singles being able to buy BTOs. I know there's quite a few of you on this forum who are single or married without kids. Time to think. Rather than spend your time in showrooms or viewing properties, perhaps consider making some effort to get a partner and have kids.

auntie Chiaberry checking out. I have done my duty already. Full-time working mother to 3 kids. :cheers4:
U R MY HERO AUNTIE BERRY!!!!

MUACKSSSSS!!!! ;)

roly8
27-03-12, 10:17
say is easy...

must plan it well..

in sg, all we talk are $$$ :banghead:

devilplate
27-03-12, 10:17
When u invest in Singapore, u will appreciate the govt policies more
ur tinking had changed and/or broadened after u bot ur 1st ppty? hehehe

price
27-03-12, 10:38
ur tinking had changed and/or broadened after u bot ur 1st ppty? hehehe
Yea u read my mind! after i start working getting my monthly salary and after buying my first property!

masterkey
27-03-12, 10:48
Yea u read my mind! after i start working getting my monthly salary and after buying my first property!

After your Nth property, mind will broaden further....

price
27-03-12, 10:52
Or rather as u research and make comparisons with the overseas neighbors, u appreciate Singapore's policies and political risk

chiaberry
27-03-12, 11:16

ABSD x N minus the first 2. Contribute more funds to MIW to broaden yr mind further.