PDA

View Full Version : Level 4/14, Stack 04/14/44/444, Tower/Block 04/14/44/444

price
30-03-12, 09:00
As we all know, every new condo launch, the last few units left are always anything that has the number "4" in its address.

Anyone experienced problem selling off their units just because of this? Do you really need to price lower than the other sellers when u are trying to sell off ur unit during a subsale/resale?

roly8
30-03-12, 10:08
i won't buy anything with the number 4.. :cool:

price
30-03-12, 10:24
that superstitious? anyone else got real experiences in difficulty selling off their unit?

peterng8
30-03-12, 10:26
that superstitious? anyone else got real experiences in difficulty selling off their unit?

ask fengshui master...

price
30-03-12, 10:30
ask fengshui master...

hahaha the thing is i personally dun believe in feng shui. but im asking in an investment point of view. Since some launches, the number 4 units are priced lower.

Maybe those block 4 unit 04-04 kind are a lot cheaper than a 02-04 for example.

devilplate
30-03-12, 10:36
ppty is big ticket item....not comfortable...den dun buy :D

price
30-03-12, 10:56
ppty is big ticket item....not comfortable...den dun buy :D

But take for example in Villa Marina, all their penthouses/loft units are on the 4th floor. Then how? really harder to sell meh?:beats-me-man:

peterng8
30-03-12, 10:59
customer profile....and lots more...buy is easy as long moola is no concern for buyer but come to selling at that time...he he he:p

dtrax
30-03-12, 11:24
standard reply, gd times anything sells. Bad times, suay number first one to firesale/et go. Have heard, have seen and have experience b4. Not sure for da rest

price
30-03-12, 11:26
standard reply, gd times anything sells. Bad times, suay number first one to firesale/et go. Have heard, have seen and have experience b4. Not sure for da rest
:eek: thanks!

buttercarp
30-03-12, 12:35
Not everyone is allergic to the number 4.
Some people's lucky number is 4.

KarenK
30-03-12, 12:41
I was eyeing a 4th floor unit once. it cost $25k more than the 3rd floor unit. my friend who's in the property development line advised me to go for the 3rd floor unit as potential buyers will use the "4" to press down the selling price if I choose to sell next time. Then imagine paying $25k more for level 4 and end up selling at same price as level 3 or even lower......:doh:

devilplate
30-03-12, 12:41
Not everyone is allergic to the number 4.
Some people's lucky number is 4.
however tat 'some' is very few in number

i die die wun touch landed house with no. 4, no.14, no. 24 unless 20% discount :p

very difficult to sell.....

devilplate
30-03-12, 12:43
I was eyeing a 4th floor unit once. it cost $25k more than the 3rd floor unit. my friend who's in the property development line advised me to go for the 3rd floor unit as potential buyers will use the "4" to press down the selling price if I choose to sell next time. Then imagine paying $25k more for level 4 and end up selling at same price as level 3 or even lower......:doh:
for those boutique apts ...#4 is the highest flr below PH....to me itsok as long it is not 04-04 lor....LOL

for high rise 10-30storey high...try to avoid 4th flr.....if kena stack04 bopian la.....

i will avoid 01-04, 02-04, 04-04, 10-04, 11-04, 13-04 , 16-04

land118
30-03-12, 12:46
For some "54" is good. Won't die. I know a family, house is 40, car also 40, handphone 5454...:D

buttercarp
30-03-12, 12:50
If you happen to get a house with number 4 in it.....when you tell people your address, don't say it in Chinese. Say it in English.

KarenK
30-03-12, 12:52
for those boutique apts ...#4 is the highest flr below PH....to me itsok as long it is not 04-04 lor....LOL

for high rise 10-30storey high...try to avoid 4th flr.....if kena stack04 bopian la.....

i will avoid 01-04, 02-04, 04-04, 10-04, 11-04, 13-04 , 16-04

u are right. the development I was looking at was only 5 storeys high. I didn't want to take level 5 and look after the roof-top for the entire stack below me so I was aiming for 4. then after what my friend told me, I decided to go for 3 lor..... :p

long long long time ago, 1 of my customers gave me a "solution" to the "4" syndrome. He said to stick the Chinese character "fa" behind the 4 in your unit number so it will read as "sei fatt" (cantonese) or "si fa" (chinese).....:D

land118
30-03-12, 13:10
I have seen people put Chinese character "ru yi" behind the house number 44, become shi shi ru yi, meaning

Everything Will Happen Just as You Wish (Shi Shi Ru Yi)

http://culture.teldap.tw/culture/culture/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=775&Itemid=209

peterng8
30-03-12, 13:14
u are right. the development I was looking at was only 5 storeys high. I didn't want to take level 5 and look after the roof-top for the entire stack below me so I was aiming for 4. then after what my friend told me, I decided to go for 3 lor..... :p

long long long time ago, 1 of my customers gave me a "solution" to the "4" syndrome. He said to stick the Chinese character "fa" behind the 4 in your unit number so it will read as "sei fatt" (cantonese) or "si fa" (chinese).....:D

haut and die or die and Huat or huat til die ...got money no life to spent is the meaning..no thanks...:p

peterng8
30-03-12, 13:21

should be good time anything sells AND those with number 4 still sell but at a lower premium compared to others vis a vis other same factors besides the number :p ...

land118
30-03-12, 13:26
So far most developer don't give discount for unit ending with "4" for new launches..., maybe until last few units left if still cannot sell and if they want to clear, can negotiate.., but launch price whether stack 4 or unit ending with 4, they still sell w/o discount...

Jonathan0503
30-03-12, 13:29
I thought 04-04 is quite good and some quite like it as in hokkien sounds like gong xi gong xi?

And 4 +4 is 8?

ysyap
30-03-12, 13:34
I heard of people who'll just go for #03-03, #04-04, #05-05, etc. They like things that come in pair... also Chinese belief!!! Anything also can lah... black can argue until white...

land118
30-03-12, 13:45
As we all know, every new condo launch, the last few units left are always anything that has the number "4" in its address.

Anyone experienced problem selling off their units just because of this? Do you really need to price lower than the other sellers when u are trying to sell off ur unit during a subsale/resale?
Actually Forum has many threads on this related topics which has been discussed.., for example check below

http://www.condosingapore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12142

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=11197

buttercarp
30-03-12, 13:56
Got a friend stay in bungalow in thomson area. She bought it 25 years ago.
Her left and right neighbours are No. 11 and No. 17. Hers is No.15.
Dun have No.13, which means her house actually supposed to be No.13.

price
30-03-12, 14:18
Actually Forum has many threads on this related topics which has been discussed.., for example check below

http://www.condosingapore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12142

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=11197
OH i was not around. But thanks bro! :cheers5:

price
30-03-12, 14:19
So far most developer don't give discount for unit ending with "4" for new launches..., maybe until last few units left if still cannot sell and if they want to clear, can negotiate.., but launch price whether stack 4 or unit ending with 4, they still sell w/o discount...
Really? but from the showflats i've been to, the 04 units always got lower price than 03.

land118
30-03-12, 14:25
Really? but from the showflats i've been to, the 04 units always got lower price than 03.
Oh, ok..guess varies...

land118
30-03-12, 14:26
Guess your friend Bungalow must be huge, built on 2 plots...

buttercarp
30-03-12, 14:38
Guess your friend Bungalow must be huge, built on 2 plots...
Land area about 6000 sq ft.
Build in area only 1600sq ft.
She invited me over for tea one day.
There were only 2 of us in this house.... I felt scared cos the whole area was so quiet with lots of surrounding trees.

price
30-03-12, 14:42
There were only 2 of us in this house.... I felt scared cos the whole area was so quiet with lots of surrounding trees.

Actually many developers also do that, when their plots are huge enough, they name their development with the "8" address, be it 8, 18, 28, etc. Some even put main entrance on another road to get a better address name

devilplate
30-03-12, 14:44
Mm suitable for u :p

Beebot
30-03-12, 17:24

Wow! My handphone has four 4s. Jialat .

Wild Falcon
30-03-12, 17:32
Depends on individual lah. If u feel insecure living in a unit with 4, then don't buy lor.

I never have any problems selling my units with a "4". I think maybe there is a big difference in the primary market because there are so many choices but not so much in the secondary market. Some of my investments only have a few units on sale at any point in time, so buyers can't be choosing auspicious numbers bah.

4 is my lucky number. There will be people with lucky number 4. I don't think everyone's lucky number is 8. At the end of the day, just how comfortable you are.

bigapplefan
30-03-12, 19:12
Depends on individual lah. If u feel insecure living in a unit with 4, then don't buy lor.

I never have any problems selling my units with a "4". I think maybe there is a big difference in the primary market because there are so many choices but not so much in the secondary market. Some of my investments only have a few units on sale at any point in time, so buyers can't be choosing auspicious numbers bah.

4 is my lucky number. There will be people with lucky number 4. I don't think everyone's lucky number is 8. At the end of the day, just how comfortable you are.

I don't have experience before buying or selling anything with '4' but I was thinking.. Even if I don't mind, i might encounter problems when I want to sell next time. The pool of buyers could be limited. Even if the buyer doesn't really believe in such things, they might still use this rather 'common' belief to negotiate down the price?

buttercarp
30-03-12, 20:17
I don't have experience before buying or selling anything with '4' but I was thinking.. Even if I don't mind, i might encounter problems when I want to sell next time. The pool of buyers could be limited. Even if the buyer doesn't really believe in such things, they might still use this rather 'common' belief to negotiate down the price?
Sometimes when it comes to house, especially if the person likes it very much, the number does not matter. The house buys the person.

Wild Falcon
30-03-12, 20:49
So many people living on 4th floor or 14th floor still doing ok mah. Can sell one.

Imagine stack 4 which would read #07-04 which seems ok to most people (unless the super superstitious type). At the end of the day, its your comfort level. Even East Coast district number is 44xxxx so the number 4 will always appear on their IC addy and people also don't mind.

My parents house is unit 4. Me and my siblings all turn out ok growing up in that house :) Maybe that's why none of us are scared of that number. Haha.

gav108
30-03-12, 21:23
no problems with 4. in fact 4 is not unlikely at all in fengshui. check it up n u will see.

the only reason it is considered unlucky originated from the superstitious cantonese and their obsession with numbers. foreigners and fengshui converts will ignore this superstition.

and no, no unit i have seen so far is priced lower due to 4. it's always based on views, facing (east west sun) and floor level, the rational way.

roly8
30-03-12, 21:31
Wow! My handphone has four 4s. Jialat .

my hp got more than 2 "8 " :D

ysyap
30-03-12, 21:45
I don't have experience before buying or selling anything with '4' but I was thinking.. Even if I don't mind, i might encounter problems when I want to sell next time. The pool of buyers could be limited. Even if the buyer doesn't really believe in such things, they might still use this rather 'common' belief to negotiate down the price?Just change target buyers lor.. if you sell '13', the Eurasians don't like but others are generally neutral. If you sell '14' or even '4', Chinese don'tlike but others are generally neutral. If you sell '8', Chinese like but other factors such as locations and amenities are equally important... If got '4', sure can sell but just be patient. No need to bring down price lah. If locaton is really ulu, such can sell but must bring down price a bit lor... You decide which you prefer. :)

ysyap
30-03-12, 21:46
my hp got more than 2 "8 " :DHe's probably referring to Iphone 4S... :cheers1:

DC33_2008
30-03-12, 21:47
13 to cantonese is good. Sure alive.

bigapplefan
30-03-12, 21:49
Just change target buyers lor.. if you sell '13', the Eurasians don't like but others are generally neutral. If you sell '14' or even '4', Chinese don'tlike but others are generally neutral. If you sell '8', Chinese like but other factors such as locations and amenities are equally important... If got '4', sure can sell but just be patient. No need to bring down price lah. If locaton is really ulu, such can sell but must bring down price a bit lor... You decide which you prefer. :)

True i was contemplating a unit #14-14 but didnt want it mainly because it has no view.. The number just made me more certain Of my decision not to buy it :)

buttercarp
30-03-12, 22:47
13 to cantonese is good. Sure alive.
I dunno cantonese, but my HK fren said cantonese dun like 13.

DC33_2008
30-03-12, 22:51
Maybe he is a christian HKonger.
I dunno cantonese, but my HK fren said cantonese dun like 13.

buttercarp
30-03-12, 22:54
Maybe he is a christian HKonger.

In HK there are some buildings which don't have 13th floor cos they pantang.
It is a Chinese culture thing, and not related to Christianity.
I think cos 1+3 =4.

insigina
30-03-12, 22:56
True i was contemplating a unit #14-14 but didnt want it mainly because it has no view.. The number just made me more certain Of my decision not to buy it :)

The upcoming Katong Regency does not have #14 as the floor number. Its 13, 15.

pod
weird.. i love the number 44 and 13... :D

Anyone got such numbers wana firesale PM me plsssss but make sure really FIRESALE HOR.:hell-hath-no-fury: .. not match valuation:cheers5:

DC33_2008
Jesus last supper was with 13 disciples. You must know HK is one of the last few countries under the british rule.

devilplate
30-03-12, 23:00
I think cos 1+3 =4.
It is more evident in the western countries. Friday the 13th.....

howgozit
30-03-12, 23:03
IMHO this is all Bulls--t.

As I have said before, if any of this crap is true then if you go to any HDB blocks 8, 18, 88, 168..... etc you will find BMWs, Merc, Audis...etc

And then you walk down to blocks 4, 14, 44, 164...etc you should see the carpark empty and every once in a while, there are people jumping out of the flats.

This is purely superstition, unfortunately there are too many superstitious people around.

lufu
30-03-12, 23:09

then why can't developers drop stack 4 and level 4 altogether.

#03 and then skip to #05 and so on.

buttercarp
30-03-12, 23:10
It is more evident in the western countries. Friday the 13th.....

LOL.... this april, there is Friday the 13th.

howgozit
30-03-12, 23:24

Why not ask MOE to remove the number 4 from the math syllabus... how banning number 4 altogether?

Bro... if this fengshui stuff is only half true, we would now be typing in Chinese. Hong Kong would have never been a British colony, Japan would be a colony of China. and the United Nations would not be in New York but in Beijing or Tianjing.

The superstitious emperors of China had their palaces built to the strictest Fengshui principles. Colours of their attire had significant Fengshui considerations. Coronations, celebrations... etc all are held on dates consulted from the Chinese (fengshui) almanac.

So despite all this, what China still fell... what happened to Fengshui?

price
30-03-12, 23:54
We all not is not true lar, but its about how others feel and how they value it. If it hurts the value then maybe one shouldn't buy a unit with that certain number?

I was just thinking however, if the Stack 4 is really the lowest quantum during a new launch, in an investment point of view, calculating rental yield alone, that stack will bring the best yield right?

rymccondo77
31-03-12, 00:25
Interestingly, a number of buildings in the USA do not have 13th floor - 13 the unlucky number for Westerners.

I remember going to an office building in the Philippines and there was no 13th floor - not surprising given the influence of US on the Philippines.

Can read more about this from here:

(1) http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=610941
(Someone asked the question: "Do tall US buildings Not Have 13th Floor" and you can see the many responses to this question)

(2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteenth_floor

So don't try selling units on the 13th floor to Westerners!

howgozit
31-03-12, 05:14
We all not is not true lar, but its about how others feel and how they value it. If it hurts the value then maybe one shouldn't buy a unit with that certain number?

I was just thinking however, if the Stack 4 is really the lowest quantum during a new launch, in an investment point of view, calculating rental yield alone, that stack will bring the best yield right?

That's true....

Even if one doesn't believe in such crap, being practical a person wil take into consideration that certain numbers can have an adverse impact on its price. In the end, superstition becomes reinforced by pragmatism.

lufu
31-03-12, 05:52
That's true....

Even if one doesn't believe in such crap, being practical a person wil take into consideration that certain numbers can have an adverse impact on its price. In the end, superstition becomes reinforced by pragmatism.

Exactly my point. I don't believe in this but I know the next buyer will use the point to neg when I sell.

plastic
31-03-12, 18:08
Interestingly, a number of buildings in the USA do not have 13th floor - 13 the unlucky number for Westerners.

I remember going to an office building in the Philippines and there was no 13th floor - not surprising given the influence of US on the Philippines.

Can read more about this from here:

(1) http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=610941
(Someone asked the question: "Do tall US buildings Not Have 13th Floor" and you can see the many responses to this question)

(2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteenth_floor

So don't try selling units on the 13th floor to Westerners!

Even tall buildings in Jakarta do not have floor 4, 13, 14, 24, and so on. The hotels also do not have rooms ending number 4 or 13. One shopping mall there name their 4th floor 3A.

Recently when I was in China, stayed in an American chain hotel, I also observed that floor number ending with 4 are all non existent.

I personally feel that Singaporean are less superstitious than other south east asia counterparts, or else we will not have sold out projects one after another right?

buttercarp
31-03-12, 18:26
Even tall buildings in Jakarta do not have floor 4, 13, 14, 24, and so on. The hotels also do not have rooms ending number 4 or 13. One shopping mall there name their 4th floor 3A.

Recently when I was in China, stayed in an American chain hotel, I also observed that floor number ending with 4 are all non existent.

I personally feel that Singaporean are less superstitious than other south east asia counterparts, or else we will not have sold out projects one after another right?
If it is so taboo, then there should be another pronounciation for 4 in the cultures which regard it as unlucky, like the Japanese language, there are 2 ways to say 4 - "yon" and "si".

sh
31-03-12, 22:28

Because IRAS(who controls the block/house numbers) will not allow it.

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04.aspx?id=3062

"A unit number will be provided for each distinct unit shown on the floor plan. Omission and reservation of any numbers is not allowed for a residential development":tongue3:

plastic
01-04-12, 00:30
If it is so taboo, then there should be another pronounciation for 4 in the cultures which regard it as unlucky, like the Japanese language, there are 2 ways to say 4 - "yon" and "si".

Indonesians are predominantly Muslims and the number 4 or 13 should not be unlucky for them. They being a cosmopolitan city, somehow also follow the culture of the Chinese and Americans.