PDA

View Full Version : Now i know why people CRAZY about new property..

radha08
02-04-12, 11:59
past few weeks i been doing some look look c c at resale condo/apt/hse etc etc also been to a few NEW condo launch....personally closest i came to commiting was a new unit at Flamingo Valley but didnt happen...anyway....call me a slow learner but i realised that 90% of the resale units are TERRIBLE....run down/over populated/dirty...people not very house proud or maybe tenanted units...real NO GO

But on the other hand experience of visiting showflat with BRAND new finishings...nice model layout personalized service by agent the whole experience is really enticing plus the perks like stamp duty absorption/furniture vouchres/free ipad:scared-1:....it really WORKS

anyway this thread just to highlight to any bro/sis who are SLOWER learner than me....:D:D:D

of course if u need to move in immediatey then new unit is out of question but if time is on your side i say think about it...;)

ysyap
02-04-12, 12:05
Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sure it will benefit some people, whether slower learners or new to the property sector. :)

Naruto
02-04-12, 12:08
past few weeks i been doing some look look c c at resale condo/apt/hse etc etc also been to a few NEW condo launch....personally closest i came to commiting was a new unit at Flamingo Valley but didnt happen...anyway....call me a slow learner but i realised that 90% of the resale units are TERRIBLE....run down/over populated/dirty...people not very house proud or maybe tenanted units...real NO GO

But on the other hand experience of visiting showflat with BRAND new finishings...nice model layout personalized service by agent the whole experience is really enticing plus the perks like stamp duty absorption/furniture vouchres/free ipad:scared-1:....it really WORKS

anyway this thread just to highlight to any bro/sis who are SLOWER learner than me....:D:D:D

Same same feeling here, resale most with tenanted units really turn off..
Specially those with multi tenants..

Another diff is the size, resale bigger, new 'compact' for the same $$..

So, view more resale or buy brand new?

kane
02-04-12, 12:08
The resale I go see usually about 3-5 years old. All still looking quite new.

sh
02-04-12, 12:12
I think the key is look beyond the "distractions" to see the true potential of the resale property. These distractions can be removed. Hack out the whole interior if necessary, especially with the huge price difference between new and resale. If these distractions contribute to a lower price, (because nobody can see beyond them), so much the better. That's when a shrew investor will go in.

Remember that new becomes old after some time. LH, time run out, but for FH, time is on your side.

ysyap
02-04-12, 12:21
I think the key is look beyond the "distractions" to see the true potential of the resale property. These distractions can be removed. Hack out the whole interior if necessary, especially with the huge price difference between new and resale. If these distractions contribute to a lower price, (because nobody can see beyond them), so much the better. That's when a shrew investor will go in.

Remember that new becomes old after some time. LH, time run out, but for FH, time is on your side.I would have to agree with you on your points. Well, if a new unit cost much more than an older of the same size, tenure, location, etc., go for the older unit. Throw in another $50k to do up the whole place nice nice and you've got yourself a fantastic deal. You might save even more from buying the new unit and giving that $50k you set aside for renovation of the old unit, to the developer, in the end! And don't forget after you get the new unit upon TOP, minimum renovation is still required, at maybe say $10k? So who lose more? :rolleyes:

chiaberry
02-04-12, 12:27
An important point here is that many buyers don't have the CASH to fork out for renovations nor the CASH for the deposit (or even to start paying in full). Thus the move towards new properties where it comes in with everything (but the furniture) done up and included in the purchase price plus need to pay lesser up front.

ikan bilis
02-04-12, 13:05
....face wise... got lots of difference hor....

can throw a big house warming party and show off with a brand new 2bdr penthouse, shiok!....
...but how to do that with a 5-10yr old 3bdr? very malu-lah...

:D

roly8
02-04-12, 13:08
haha...
too many tenants in your condo ..:scared-3:

yaozong7
02-04-12, 14:06
The flipside of new properties is the rooms are so miserably small. A housing agent actually suggested to me to hack away a new condo's wardrobe so that I can fit in a queen sized bed in the non-master bedroom!

And that's for a $1k psf OCR 3 bedder! Haha...:doh:

amk
02-04-12, 14:42
to TS:
1) u didn't look hard enough on the resales
2) see, new sale marketing works, no wonder ppl go for new sale.

I just viewed a 4yrs old tenanted pty (in CCR). pristine condition.

peterng8
02-04-12, 18:14
I would have to agree with you on your points. Well, if a new unit cost much more than an older of the same size, tenure, location, etc., go for the older unit. Throw in another $50k to do up the whole place nice nice and you've got yourself a fantastic deal. You might save even more from buying the new unit and giving that $50k you set aside for renovation of the old unit, to the developer, in the end! And don't forget after you get the new unit upon TOP, minimum renovation is still required, at maybe say $10k? So who lose more? :rolleyes:

I agree and add in another point, the exterior is also important (resale i mean), interior very nice but exterior(facilities etc..) looks terrible is not going to help alot.. esp LH the older it is the attractiveness decreases:o

ysyap
02-04-12, 18:29
I agree and add in another point, the exterior is also important (resale i mean), interior very nice but exterior(facilities etc..) looks terrible is not going to help alot.. esp LH the older it is the attractiveness decreases:oYes yes... external look plays a part if you are looking to sell it. Otherwise, guai guai stay there till en-bloc lor! :) Unless you are those who always use the facilities until they are all falling apart then maybe sinking fund will be tapped to replace and repair those facilities and equipment.

radha08
02-04-12, 18:48
the other day i went to view a condo at simei omg when i looked closer in the pool i saw one of the sunbathing chairs lying at bottom of pool....omg:doh:..i asked agent about it she said wind blew it in...:scared-2:

pinkpolkadot
02-04-12, 19:34
Exterior is very important cos it will affect your "feel" about the place. That day I went to a condo. The walls crack, the paint looks dull, the common corridor not well maintained, just to name a few - overall it look like a HDB. I was shock when I was told it's only 6-year-old!

DaytonaSS
02-04-12, 20:09
Exterior is very important cos it will affect your "feel" about the place. That day I went to a condo. The walls crack, the paint looks dull, the common corridor not well maintained, just to name a few - overall it look like a HDB. I was shock when I was told it's only 6-year-old!

according to a property guru friend, he shared alot of condo(cannot say region) the owners very "miao", all kind of maintenance or upgrade also vote dont want, so as to save on maintance/sinking funk, as a result, over time, the condo's facade deteriorates very fast.

so its true, from sharing here.....

sh
02-04-12, 20:11
Yes exterior is important. Go for designs that are timeless, eg colonnade, Arcadia, ocean park. Still looks good after all these years. Avoid fads, 'classical' or 'Spanish' styles that was so hot in some time ago.....:2cents:

Any other suggestions on good looking older projects?

pengful
02-04-12, 20:39

of course if u need to move in immediatey then new unit is out of question but if time is on your side i say think about it...;)

What you just wrote reflects the exact sentiments that I am feeling... condition of resale on older properties very jialat... then again, new ones very expensive now.

I will wait and see how the market goes after the next round of cooling measures... hope to see it happening soon.

radha08
02-04-12, 21:24
What you just wrote reflects the exact sentiments that I am feeling... condition of resale on older properties very jialat... then again, new ones very expensive now.

I will wait and see how the market goes after the next round of cooling measures... hope to see it happening soon.

yup in the meantime enjoy ur beemer...:D (looks like that in the picture in ur nick)

ysyap
02-04-12, 21:52
the other day i went to view a condo at simei omg when i looked closer in the pool i saw one of the sunbathing chairs lying at bottom of pool....omg:doh:..i asked agent about it she said wind blew it in...:scared-2:So funny... if you look closer, you might see a body buried beneath that chair! :scared-3:

Allthepies
02-04-12, 22:33

I have another view: New unit gives u imagination to think what u be getting... I.e. U don't really know what u be getting.

On the other hand, resale unit is there for u to see, feel and touch. There is no lying, u immediately know the view ur unit has, how large the bedroom, how nice the marble, how good the faciilities, how nice the landscaping... And best of all even those very good units are selling cheaper than new launches...

irisng
03-04-12, 08:18
I think majority of us will prefer new than old but some people might like the locations, amenities around there, layout of the unit, near to their parents' house or that they cannot wait, then most likely they will go into the resale market.

KarenK
03-04-12, 13:03
Just to share my personal experience. I seriously considered getting an old unit coz those are very much bigger and spacious. very value for money compared to new developments. However for old units, one will have to fork out to replace stuff like electrical wiring, water pipes (if they are really jialat), cabinets for all the rooms, toilets etc etc. and for these expenses, one has to fork out a lot of CASH or if not take up a renovation loan. renovation loan is limited by a cap (eg 7 times your salary) and the interest rate is exhorbitant. for a new unit, everything comes sui-sui and u only need to buy furniture. those earlier expenses are essentially parked under a Housing Loan which also charges a much lower interest. In view of this, I went for the new unit instead as I have yet to find a printer good enough for printing tons of money..... :D

insigina
03-04-12, 13:22
Just to share my personal experience. I seriously considered getting an old unit coz those are very much bigger and spacious. very value for money compared to new developments. However for old units, one will have to fork out to replace stuff like electrical wiring, water pipes (if they are really jialat), cabinets for all the rooms, toilets etc etc. and for these expenses, one has to fork out a lot of CASH or if not take up a renovation loan. renovation loan is limited by a cap (eg 7 times your salary) and the interest rate is exhorbitant. for a new unit, everything comes sui-sui and u only need to buy furniture. those earlier expenses are essentially parked under a Housing Loan which also charges a much lower interest. In view of this, I went for the new unit instead as I have yet to find a printer good enough for printing tons of money..... :D

You are right to an extent. But renovating an old unit (especially landed) gives you alot of fun and satisfaction. Weekends are spent hunting around for tiles, fittings, etc. Moreover, you can customise it to your needs and budget. If your budget is tight, one can scale back and do the critical items first and then go to phase 2 when you have enough vit M. I enjoyed the process very much.

pinkpolkadot
03-04-12, 13:32
You are right to an extent. But renovating an old unit (especially landed) gives you alot of fun and satisfaction. Weekends are spent hunting around for tiles, fittings, etc. Moreover, you can customise it to your needs and budget. If your budget is tight, one can scale back and do the critical items first and then go to phase 2 when you have enough vit M. I enjoyed the process very much.

That is the (fun) highlight of buying a re-sale :cheers4:

chiaberry
03-04-12, 14:08
Here's my experience. In 2010 I bought a resale unit because:
1. Bigger area (1800+sq ft)
2. Very near in-laws home (where we are based most of the time)
3. We have lived in this area for 15+ years.
4. Enough car parking space for our 2 cars.
5. Price (<900 psf).
6. Freehold.

It needed full renovation of course (project >20 years old in original condition).

We took an equity loan from our investment property to pay for the renovations. Interest rate same as the housing loan (based on SOR).

I am not a very homely person and did not really enjoy driving around the place to hunt for tiles/kitchen appliances/sanitary ware etc. But it was useful experience in hindsight (I suppose). Now I can walk into a showflat and appreciate the quality (or lack of) in their fittings.

buttercarp
03-04-12, 14:18
Here's my experience. In 2010 I bought a resale unit because:
1. Bigger area (1800+sq ft)
2. Very near in-laws home (where we are based most of the time)
3. We have lived in this area for 15+ years.
4. Enough car parking space for our 2 cars.
5. Price (<900 psf).
6. Freehold.

It needed full renovation of course (project >20 years old in original condition).

We took an equity loan from our investment property to pay for the renovations. Interest rate same as the housing loan (based on SOR).

I am not a very homely person and did not really enjoy driving around the place to hunt for tiles/kitchen appliances/sanitary ware etc. But it was useful experience in hindsight (I suppose). Now I can walk into a showflat and appreciate the quality (or lack of) in their fittings.

I find renovating and monitoring the progress of renovation very stressful.
So I'd rather pay a bit more and walk into a new house with the ID all done up for me.:)

ysyap
03-04-12, 16:12
One person's antidote is another's poison! ;)

kane
03-04-12, 16:36
I always dream of renovations when I'm at Ho Kee or Sim Siang Choon buying faucets of kitchen fittings to replace the worn out ones at hpme. Lol. And when I look at the tiles at the tile shop today. Wah! All sorts of pattern and nice big sizes are all available.

teddybear
03-04-12, 16:37
I believe many of the new launch property buyers are same as you, which is why they rather pay >30% premium price for new launch than resale, and we did not even take into consideration that new launch got 20% useless space compared to those resale >8 years old even comparing both of the same quoted sqft size. :o
Seriously, if buy resale and total renovation with even better quality than new launch also don't need >$120 psf! So paying >30% premium not justified. <=10% may be... :beats-me-man:

pinkpolkadot
03-04-12, 17:07
Buying a new launch is not only buying a unit with new interior but also with new exterior and facilities. You can do renovation as much as you like for your resale unit but you can't rejuvenate areas outside of yours.

hyenergix
03-04-12, 17:13
Buying a new launch is not only buying a unit with new interior but also with new exterior and facilities. You can do renovation as much as you like for your resale unit but you can't rejuvenate areas outside of yours.

Buying a new unit is like marrying a virgin... :)

jwong71
03-04-12, 17:19
new launches:

mainly cater for buyers who do not need too much space, do not want burn more cash upfront for whole unit renovation, and new exterior landscap definately beats the resale condo.

resales condos:

only for buyers who really space and do min touch/renovations. otherwise the buyers will just opt for EA, EM hdb if they do really need the space etc 4 bedrooms.

* new launches to cheong ahead of resales.!!:D

jwong71
03-04-12, 17:22

click 'like"..

and some older projects are damn yucky and old skoll..

with so many new launches and newer design VS resale with yucky exterior and facilities..

*buyers are spolit with choices :cheers1:

teddybear
03-04-12, 17:32
But after 5 years, the new launch will be no different from the resale next door, so why pay >30% premium? :o

quote=pinkpolkadot]Buying a new launch is not only buying a unit with new interior but also with new exterior and facilities. You can do renovation as much as you like for your resale unit but you can't rejuvenate areas outside of yours.[/quote]

teddybear
03-04-12, 17:40
You brought out a very good point:
1) New launch mostly no tennis court. Those have got 1 tennis court to share by >500 units (vs resale where 1 tennis court is shared by <200 units).

2) New launch "big big facilities", like 4 threadmills in gym, but wait, got to share with 800 units! (vs resale 2 threadmills shared by <200 units)!

3) New launch mostly all glass walls vs your so-called "yucky" cement walls, but 30 years later the owners holding the "new launch" babies (now already old) got to replace all these glass walls or face touch the glass and smash through them and free-fall onto the ground! Ops! :violent-shooting:

4) New launch got to get cleaners to clean glass walls every year vs ZERO need for "yucky" cement walls, no wonder new launch 2BR still need maintenance fee >$350! :banghead:

click 'like"..

with so many new launches and newer design VS resale with yucky exterior and facilities..

Montaigne
03-04-12, 20:27
I like this!

teddybear
03-04-12, 21:12
You going to marry a virgin every 10 years and get rid of your wife? :beats-me-man:

Buying a new unit is like marrying a virgin... :)

pinkpolkadot
03-04-12, 21:13
You going to marry a virgin every 10 years? :beats-me-man:

:tsk-tsk: :tsk-tsk: :tsk-tsk:

irisng
03-04-12, 21:47
Actually not all old pc are that bad lah.

My sister-in-law had just bought a unit (about 17 yrs old FH condo) with min renovation. All she did was re-polished the marble floorings, painted the house to their preferred colours and changed the glass doors of the wardrobes because according to Feng Shui, it is not advisable to have the mirror facing the bed. Exterior of the building also look ok leh. :p

howgozit
03-04-12, 22:05
Totally agree...

New launches plot ratio is maxed out.

New things are only new for a while. It is more important to buy into value and at the moment resale properties have more value.

You brought out a very good point:
1) New launch mostly no tennis court. Those have got 1 tennis court to share by >500 units (vs resale where 1 tennis court is shared by <200 units).

2) New launch "big big facilities", like 4 threadmills in gym, but wait, got to share with 800 units! (vs resale 2 threadmills shared by <200 units)!

3) New launch mostly all glass walls vs your so-called "yucky" cement walls, but 30 years later the owners holding the "new launch" babies (now already old) got to replace all these glass walls or face touch the glass and smash through them and free-fall onto the ground! Ops! :violent-shooting:

4) New launch got to get cleaners to clean glass walls every year vs ZERO need for "yucky" cement walls, no wonder new launch 2BR still need maintenance fee >$350! :banghead:

hyenergix
03-04-12, 22:24
You going to marry a virgin every 10 years and get rid of your wife? :beats-me-man:

If you are rich and if you belong to some religions, you can have many wives...

I don't teach you bad things hor. Be nice to your wife and spend more time with her...

stiook
03-04-12, 23:04
Actually not all old pc are that bad lah.

My sister-in-law had just bought a unit (about 17 yrs old FH condo) with min renovation. All she did was re-polished the marble floorings, painted the house to their preferred colours and changed the glass doors of the wardrobes because according to Feng Shui, it is not advisable to have the mirror facing the bed. Exterior of the building also look ok leh. :p

Depends on management lor... I saw this one... really look terrible. About 15 yrs. I think all owner bo chap. Prbably all rent out.

ysyap
04-04-12, 00:51
Depends on management lor... I saw this one... really look terrible. About 15 yrs. I think all owner bo chap. Prbably all rent out.Yup... really depend on management... my previous condo management re-paint all the blocks every 5 years, just like HDB... Quite careful with the facilities too... listened to the residents and converted the squash court into a gym... overall quite pleasant experience lor! :)

sh
04-04-12, 01:06
Depends on management lor... I saw this one... really look terrible. About 15 yrs. I think all owner bo chap. Prbably all rent out.

All rent out, maintenance just as important, need to ensure good rental returns too.

gilaone
04-04-12, 01:42

When I did my PC hunt in 2010, I had in mind to get a resale instead of new as I want to move to private and collect rent asap. I also hate the renovation work and in fact I hate to spend money on renovation as several years down the road when I sell it, the renovation may worth nothing. Renovation is a LIABILITY. So I looked for resale that is not too old and well renovated. I finally found an unit which I only need to paint the wall and replace the 8 yr old aircon. The previous owner renovated the unit just 3 yrs back. Everything sui sui - false ceiling nice lightings, wallpapers and mirrors in the living room, fully revamped kitchen with glass partition and glass door, ID's wardrobes and built-in settings confirmed better than original ones.

Those who think new PC comes with everything sui sui collect keys can move in without much renovation will probably be disappointed. My feel is that the showrooms are heavily renovated and decorated. The kitchen and bedrooms should be ready but the living room is not. You will at least have to do the false ceiling and lightings (won't be cheap). And given smaller area for new units, you will have to spend on lots of mirrors in the living room. Furniture wise if you think you can buy and put there you probably wrong again. Chances are you may still have to get an ID to design your living room so that you get the max usable space out of it. Easily a few ten Ks to go. Saving this money, you get a condo exterior but HDB interior.

Just my :2cents: . Hope no one throw eggs at me :cheers6:

hyenergix
04-04-12, 06:33
When I did my PC hunt in 2010, I had in mind to get a resale instead of new as I want to move to private and collect rent asap. I also hate the renovation work and in fact I hate to spend money on renovation as several years down the road when I sell it, the renovation may worth nothing. Renovation is a LIABILITY. So I looked for resale that is not too old and well renovated. I finally found an unit which I only need to paint the wall and replace the 8 yr old aircon. The previous owner renovated the unit just 3 yrs back. Everything sui sui - false ceiling nice lightings, wallpapers and mirrors in the living room, fully revamped kitchen with glass partition and glass door, ID's wardrobes and built-in settings confirmed better than original ones.

Those who think new PC comes with everything sui sui collect keys can move in without much renovation will probably be disappointed. My feel is that the showrooms are heavily renovated and decorated. The kitchen and bedrooms should be ready but the living room is not. You will at least have to do the false ceiling and lightings (won't be cheap). And given smaller area for new units, you will have to spend on lots of mirrors in the living room. Furniture wise if you think you can buy and put there you probably wrong again. Chances are you may still have to get an ID to design your living room so that you get the max usable space out of it. Easily a few ten Ks to go. Saving this money, you get a condo exterior but HDB interior.

Just my :2cents: . Hope no one throw eggs at me :cheers6:

Perhaps the analogy could be walking into the show flat is like seeing a model at a photo shoot. Walking into the TOP unit is like seeing a model when she wakes up in the morning which you probably get a shock.

howgozit
04-04-12, 07:32
Good analogy.... erh.. speaking from experience? I mean about the model not the showflat...

Perhaps the analogy could be walking into the show flat is like seeing a model at a photo shoot. Walking into the TOP unit is like seeing a model when she wakes up in the morning which you probably get a shock.

ysyap
04-04-12, 08:20

Just my :2cents: . Hope no one throw eggs at me :cheers6:Good that you found such an ideal unit! ;)

DC33_2008
04-04-12, 08:34
Owners of new launches in the last one year are paying for future price. Upside is really challenging both capital gain and rental yield as compared to the older units.
new launches:

mainly cater for buyers who do not need too much space, do not want burn more cash upfront for whole unit renovation, and new exterior landscap definately beats the resale condo.

resales condos:

only for buyers who really space and do min touch/renovations. otherwise the buyers will just opt for EA, EM hdb if they do really need the space etc 4 bedrooms.

* new launches to cheong ahead of resales.!!:D

DC33_2008
04-04-12, 08:38
Nothing great if the entire has to squeeze in a small new apartment. Wait till you have visiting during the festive seasons. Not enough carpark lots for them and see your guests spill over from living room into balcony, bedroom and even toilet. Long queue to book the function room. :doh:
click 'like"..

DC33_2008
04-04-12, 08:40
It is in the MCST guidelines for condo to repaint their external wall once every 5 years. No choice.
Yup... really depend on management... my previous condo management re-paint all the blocks every 5 years, just like HDB... Quite careful with the facilities too... listened to the residents and converted the squash court into a gym... overall quite pleasant experience lor! :)

chiaberry
04-04-12, 08:47
Nothing great if the entire has to squeeze in a small new apartment. Wait till you have visiting during the festive seasons. Not enough carpark lots for them and see your guests spill over from living room into balcony, bedroom and even toilet. Long queue to book the function room. :doh:

Salvation Army collection points will be overflowing as people down-size and not able to keep much in their condo units apart from the bare minimum. That means every CNY need to throw out the old stuff before buying new clothes. A lot of wastage. Hopefully the poor and needy will benefit.

Seriously from the new launch showrooms I've visited lately...if you look beyond the "make up"/designer decor, there is hardly room for any furniture beyond the basics.

DC33_2008
04-04-12, 08:52
Went with my spouse to one recently. My spouse mistaken the master bedroom for the second bedroom as it was so small and one has to roll out of the bed to get to limited floor area in the room. :doh:
Salvation Army collection points will be overflowing as people down-size and not able to keep much in their condo units apart from the bare minimum. That means every CNY need to throw out the old stuff before buying new clothes. A lot of wastage. Hopefully the poor and needy will benefit.

Seriously from the new launch showrooms I've visited lately...if you look beyond the "make up"/designer decor, there is hardly room for any furniture beyond the basics.

kane
04-04-12, 08:56
I dread the thought that we're going in the direction of hong kong.

chiaberry
04-04-12, 08:56
When I made comment about the small space, the agent bo-chap saying "this is the norm nowadays". Well I will hold on tight-tight to my older properties which have reasonable amount of space. In the long term, they will have value. As other forum members have said, even the older resale HDB flats have reasonable amount of space compared to new condos. With the upgradings (LUP/MUP etc etc) they are very livable and rentable.

DC33_2008
04-04-12, 08:58
No issue if FH properties are in good location and near mrt stn. :)
When I made comment about the small space, the agent bo-chap saying "this is the norm nowadays". Well I will hold on tight-tight to my older properties which have reasonable amount of space. In the long term, they will have value. As other forum members have said, even the older resale HDB flats have reasonable amount of space compared to new condos. With the upgradings (LUP/MUP etc etc) they are very livable and rentable.

kane
04-04-12, 09:01

LH also no issue. Just wait for en bloc. As long as the size is of a good liveable size.

chiaberry
04-04-12, 09:05

I think if FH and even if a little further from MRT (eg 2 bus-stops) but have reasonable space and lay-out, it still can be considered for long-term buy. FH condos have limited supply...not as bad as FH landed....but still limited. Nowadays even FH condo RIGHT NEXT TO CEMETERY can command sales at high px. :scared-1:

If no money for the deposit, can accumulate. No huge rush to buy as Govt has taken measures to slow down the house px increase. Hopefully economy can grow and incomes can catch up.

chiaberry
04-04-12, 09:07
LH also no issue. Just wait for en bloc. As long as the size is of a good liveable size.

Agree. Some 99LH give good rental yield and are easy to rent out. Try not to buy into a HUGE devt as a smaller devt have better chance of en bloc. Easier for smaller developers to digest. Only the big boys can digest those huge plots and they are already getting indigestion (sic D'Leedon, Interlace....)

DC33_2008
04-04-12, 09:14
Difficult for household income to leap and bounce for the middle income group.
I think if FH and even if a little further from MRT (eg 2 bus-stops) but have reasonable space and lay-out, it still can be considered for long-term buy. FH condos have limited supply...not as bad as FH landed....but still limited. Nowadays even FH condo RIGHT NEXT TO CEMETERY can command sales at high px. :scared-1:

If no money for the deposit, can accumulate. No huge rush to buy as Govt has taken measures to slow down the house px increase. Hopefully economy can grow and incomes can catch up.

kane
04-04-12, 09:39
Agree. Some 99LH give good rental yield and are easy to rent out. Try not to buy into a HUGE devt as a smaller devt have better chance of en bloc. Easier for smaller developers to digest. Only the big boys can digest those huge plots and they are already getting indigestion (sic D'Leedon, Interlace....)

The wave of en blocs for bigger projects are probably 5-8 years down the road. Not so soon. I think 150-200 units development is the sweeter spot for now.

pinkpolkadot
04-04-12, 10:06
I dread the thought that we're going in the direction of hong kong.

Looks like that is the trend and reality.

gn108
04-04-12, 10:11
EN Bloc is almost dead...all the biggies > $1B for sure cannot go thro'.
Only smaller ones (<200m), good attributes like near MRT/Malls/Schools or current fave mixed-development sites.

KBW's ruling is the killer...

The wave of en blocs for bigger projects are probably 5-8 years down the road. Not so soon. I think 150-200 units development is the sweeter spot for now.

chiaberry
04-04-12, 10:12

It could be longer than that.

Those mega big plots like Pine Grove, Pandan Valley can sit on them until the cows come home. Somemore Govt is tightening reins on immigration and FT.

Rosy
04-04-12, 10:20
FH properties are definitely better to keep for the long run.

however, I am not buying any at this juncture. We are already in the mid-last phase of the property cycle. Unit sizes had already hit the limit.

I believe current buyers are mainly HDB upgradders, 1st timers and those buying for 1st investment property.

DC33_2008
04-04-12, 10:21
Those days are over. Large LH plots are exposed to higher risk.

Those mega big plots like Pine Grove, Pandan Valley can sit on them until the cows come home. Somemore Govt is tightening reins on immigration and FT.

radha08
04-04-12, 10:44

dont forget the three amigos...neptune court...laguna park and lagoon view...:D:D:D

radha08
04-04-12, 10:45
FH properties are definitely better to keep for the long run.

however, I am not buying any at this juncture. We are already in the mid-last phase of the property cycle. Unit sizes had already hit the limit.

I believe current buyers are mainly HDB upgradders, 1st timers and those buying for 1st investment property.
so when will u buy.;)

DC33_2008
04-04-12, 10:46
When will you buy? 30% correction in the market?
so when will u buy.;)

buttercarp
04-04-12, 12:36

Recently I heard over the radio that the floor of an apartment in New York crashed down as there were too many guests in the unit.:scared-3:

hyenergix
04-04-12, 12:59

Need to wait for the upward revision in plot ratio, else no chance of enbloc at all.

radha08
04-04-12, 18:36
When will you buy? 30% correction in the market?
no 29.99999%...:D:D:D

so far only 0.1%...so as the saying goes wait LONG LONG..:scared-5:

or if u wish Tan Ku Ku...:banghead:

stiook
04-04-12, 22:44
It is in the MCST guidelines for condo to repaint their external wall once every 5 years. No choice.

Really? the one next to mine looks really bad... very badly in need of a paint

radha08
05-04-12, 17:59
hmm palm isles 3 bedder 990sqft priced from 760k....pasir ris crappy 5rm already 500k plus where are WE headed....:doh: