PDA

View Full Version : Honey I shrunk the wantoon

phantom_opera
07-04-12, 16:43
SG properties are unlikely to correct even 20% from today's level:

1. REITS pushing up inflation - wonder why Singapore inflation starts to pick up momentum after 2005, other than the obvious factors like petrol / commodities ... increasingly, shopping malls in Singapore are controlled by few REITs ...when rental growth of 5% is the norm every year, how could inflation be controlled? Just check your food court kopi prices ...

2. Everything shrinks - To counter the rental / food price hikes, everything shrinks, not just MMs ... your barber shop is halved in size, you hardly can move around in Daiso, your wantoon noodle is now MM standard ... a pair of 6y old sport shoes shocked you with the $50 tag (after discount), fast food kopi super diluted ...

3. High COE prices for years to come

Inflation expectation is getting higher with each passing year :2cents:

roly8
07-04-12, 16:45
hyper inflation ...
but not sure if we have hit the peak of the inflation or not :cool:

howgozit
07-04-12, 16:49
Forgive my ignorance.... what is a "wantoon"?

price
07-04-12, 16:59
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonton_noodles

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b0/Bami_mu_daeng_kiao.JPG/800px-Bami_mu_daeng_kiao.JPG

howgozit
07-04-12, 17:01
Oops my bad...... got it! Thanks!

mygeemeel
07-04-12, 20:13
Nice bowl of wanton Mee. Today's standard in spore, this should cost S$6.00.

buttercarp
07-04-12, 20:16

Initially I did not know its meaning too.
I thought TS is referring to wanton - which can have 2 meanings - English and Hokkien.
In this case TS means the wanton as in wanton mee.

phantom_opera
07-04-12, 22:09
http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=12473

Hawker centres and REITs: An inflation face-off?

by Tan Chin Keong
04:45 AM Nov 25, 2011

http://www.todayonline.com/Commentar...ation-face-off?

The Government has recently decided to restart a building programme for hawker centres - an icon of local food culture that is often neglected as a property asset class.

These mass market spaces house food stalls that serve up the true taste of Singapore. There are 112 hawker centres today, the last one having been built in 1985. After 26 years, the plan to build 10 new such establishments in the next decade is a welcome move.

But this is not simply because of the growing trend of Singaporeans eating out. Some Government officials have argued that hawker centres could also help contain inflation. Consumer prices in Singapore have been on the rise since late 2009 and the inflation rate recorded last month was 5.4 per cent - the fifth straight month that the reading has topped 5 per cent. With about 6,000 licensed hawkers selling cheap cooked food around housing estates today, there is a strong case for such an argument.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that hawker stalls in mature housing estates such as Toa Payoh have held food prices steady for many years. A bowl of fish ball noodles at a stall I have been going to has cost a affordable S$2.50 for the last few years. This is likely because many hawker stalls enjoy rental subsidies from the Government.

In Parliament early this year, then Environment and Water Resources Minister Yaacob Ibrahim said about half of the 6,258 cooked food stalls in hawker centres had been subsidised. The subsidised rent for a hawker stall ranges between S$160 and S$320 a month, considerably less than the market range of S$275 to S$2,900, he said.

With more hawker centres in the pipeline and assuming no changes in the Government's subsidy policy, stall owners' rental costs are unlikely to see substantial increases. Thus, the construction of new hawker centres could very well lead to more affordable dining choices and contain inflation in Singapore.

Or could it?

Another property asset class - real estate investment trusts (REITS) - could have the unintended opposite effect of boosting inflation in Singapore. A typical REIT owns one or a pool of properties out of which rental income is distributed as dividends to shareholders. Since the first REIT was introduced in Singapore in 2002, the sector has become an increasingly popular asset class among investors due to its tax-efficient status and high dividend yields.

There are now more than 20 listed REITs in Singapore owning a variety of properties they have built or acquired. Due to their focus on delivering superior shareholder returns - as well as pressure from their investors and the analyst community - Singapore REITs have generally been proactive and efficient in raising the rental rates of their investment properties whenever market conditions allow.

For example, some of the retail REITs track their tenants' sales turnover on a monthly basis and the REIT managers would thus know who can afford to pay higher rental rates when the tenancy contract comes up for renegotiation.

The growth of retail REITs has also resulted in a larger supply of shopping mall space being concentrated in the hands of a few large REITs. Naturally, these REITs have better bargaining power against their tenants during rental rate negotiations.

One retail REIT, for example, was able to increase its rental rates by an estimated 25 per cent from 2003 to last year, significantly higher than the average 11 per cent increase in non-REIT suburban retail rental over the same period.

In short, higher REIT dividends come at the expense of higher rental costs for the tenants. This in turn filters through to higher product prices and, ultimately, higher inflation. However, we cannot blame REITs for raising rents given the pressure they face from investors and analysts such as myself to deliver higher shareholder returns.

Thus, the next time I pay a higher price for a shirt or a pair of shoes in a REIT-operated mall, I should compensate by dining at my usual hawker centre more frequently.

Tan Chin Keong is an analyst at UBS Wealth Management Research.

phantom_opera
07-04-12, 22:16
That's why I always think a 50% crash of property price in next few years will only happen in the wildest dream ... it is obvious that the valuation of a residential land near a shopping mall operated by very successful REITs will indirectly be pushed up year after year ... I am sure the garmen Chief Valuer will always take this into account when considering whether to accept a bid or not ... :2cents:

And will the curse of peak psf in mass market condo happen to Bishan again?

http://www.65singapore.com/qingyu/images/banner1.jpg

howgozit
07-04-12, 22:16

$6....? no lah I think hawker centre wanton mee starts at $2.50... Pontian wanton mee I think only about $3. Other than in restaurants like Crystal Jade, I have not found a regularly priced wanton mee to cost over $5.

Prawn noodle... yes... prices start at $4 for a bowl of decent big prawn noodle at say Adam Road hawker centre.... can go up to $12..

phantom_opera
07-04-12, 22:31
$2.5 wantoon noodle is not enough even to feed my dog :tongue3:

BTW, inflation will stay high this year due to sky high COE, look at the COE for commercial vehicles (and new taxi COE is close to $60k ... what do u think Comfort Delgro will do??)

C GOODS VEHICLE & BUS 163 $53,989 (Apr 2012)

was $38,699 Jan 2012

was $21,889 May 2011

was $3,502 Jan 2009

was $5,889 Jan 2006

howgozit
07-04-12, 22:43
Yep... no dispute with high inflation... totally agree that prices of things are going up,

I don't mean to sound argumentative but I think that most hawker food portions have not changed much thru the years. definitely not wanton mee... abit more expensive maybe but not smaller portions.

Is it possible our apetite has gotten bigger?

BTW, inflation will stay high this year due to sky high COE, look at the COE for commercial vehicles (and new taxi COE is close to $60k ... what do u think Comfort Delgro will do??)

C GOODS VEHICLE & BUS 163 $53,989 (Apr 2012)

was $38,699 Jan 2012

was $21,889 May 2011

was $3,502 Jan 2009

was $5,889 Jan 2006

buttercarp
07-04-12, 23:38

Dog food can be more expensive than hawker food.
The corn that is sold in the pet shop for guinea pigs is more expensive than the fresh corn!

phantom_opera
08-04-12, 10:24
Yep... no dispute with high inflation... totally agree that prices of things are going up,

I don't mean to sound argumentative but I think that most hawker food portions have not changed much thru the years. definitely not wanton mee... abit more expensive maybe but not smaller portions.

Checked out Bedok hawker food recently (not that I am very fond of hawker food) ... it is simply horrible, the $2.5 for 3 MM size wantoon (pork .. not prawn) ... the quantity of noodle is like for baby ... the soup is tasteless ... some more claim is top 10 in SG ... beware that the oil they use is palm oil and reuse 10X for frying ... there is no free lunch in this world ...

Tharman said must wait a little bit to buy house ... seems same as MBT 3y ago, same as Khaw 1y ago
So buy car ... must also wait a little bit
I think what they really mean is... must wait long long :doh:

DC33_2008
08-04-12, 11:33
Recommend you go to the other bedok hawker centre closer to the park. It has good carrot cake at $2 and tea at 0.70cents.
Checked out Bedok hawker food recently (not that I am very fond of hawker food) ... it is simply horrible, the $2.5 for 3 MM size wantoon (pork .. not prawn) ... the quantity of noodle is like for baby ... the soup is tasteless ... some more claim is top 10 in SG ... beware that the oil they use is palm oil and reuse 10X for frying ... there is no free lunch in this world ...

Tharman said must wait a little bit to buy house ... seems same as MBT 3y ago, same as Khaw 1y ago

phantom_opera
08-04-12, 11:40
Recommend you go to the other bedok hawker centre closer to the park. It has good carrot cake at $2 and tea at 0.70cents.

Thanks, prefer carrot cake at Bedok Point Killiney with kopi ... at least I think they do not reuse their oil :scared-4:

peterng8
08-04-12, 11:41
small wanton, but overall one bowl of wanton noodle still made to be affordable...

small unit , high psf but overrall the small unit still made to be at affordable quantum...

jia muay pa, yeow buay si...

:p :p

DC33_2008
08-04-12, 11:43
We only live once. Nice food is important as long as we do not eat those junk food excessively.
Thanks, prefer carrot cake at Bedok Point Killiney with kopi ... at least I think they do not reuse their oil :scared-4:

phantom_opera
11-07-12, 10:16
Hearsay, Jollibean going to increase price by 20 cents on all items in August

Hanis (Hans) NZ Apple Pie was 1.40, then 1.60, then 1.80 now is $2

phantom_opera
11-07-12, 11:07
TIP is stable despite turmoil in financial market

http://www.google.com/finance?chdnp=1&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=maximized&chdeh=0&chfdeh=0&chdet=1341975915946&chddm=480539&chls=IntervalBasedLine&q=NYSEARCA:TIP&ntsp=0

Inflation expectation stays high ... where is the deflation threat??

gn108
11-07-12, 11:50
Like wait for the next MRT train...during rush-hour...

gn108
11-07-12, 11:53
Amt of noodle/rice maybe the same but ingredients can disappear over-night...

My fave mince-pork noodle maintained the price, but the dumpling now gone. Pay extra to have it...

Rysk
11-07-12, 12:11
Wow!! Looks delicious... suddenly feel like eating Wonton Mee.. :scared-5:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonton_noodles

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b0/Bami_mu_daeng_kiao.JPG/800px-Bami_mu_daeng_kiao.JPG

eng81157
11-07-12, 13:56
my fav wanton stall @ tiong bahru market just upped their price by 50cents recently, $3.50 to $4.00. :tsk-tsk: :tsk-tsk:

Kelonguni
11-07-12, 14:45
small wanton, but overall one bowl of wanton noodle still made to be affordable...

small unit , high psf but overrall the small unit still made to be at affordable quantum...

jia muay pa, yeow buay si...

:p :p

For noodles should be pi (per inch): high pi.

minority
11-07-12, 14:47

1. REITS pushing up inflation - wonder why Singapore inflation starts to pick up momentum after 2005, other than the obvious factors like petrol / commodities ... increasingly, shopping malls in Singapore are controlled by few REITs ...when rental growth of 5% is the norm every year, how could inflation be controlled? Just check your food court kopi prices ...

2. Everything shrinks - To counter the rental / food price hikes, everything shrinks, not just MMs ... your barber shop is halved in size, you hardly can move around in Daiso, your wantoon noodle is now MM standard ... a pair of 6y old sport shoes shocked you with the $50 tag (after discount), fast food kopi super diluted ...

REITs holders demand higher yield. Well economy dynamics. if consumers refuse to pay for the items at inflated price. i.e. buy online. Busisness fails and REITs can't get tenants. then Adjustment have to happen.

What we see are smaller shops these days. cutting down the floor size giving more variety and smaller rental.

I guess this is market economics..

consumers like me have moved online so many choice today in the global economy...

Amazon, Q100, taobao.. just to names a few. Also direct online buying from overseas too!

minority
11-07-12, 14:49

Wat to do? have to fund the cleaner , Land lord, transport etc cost.. Time to ask for a raise!

n the cycle repeat itself. Nothing is as certain than death ,life, tax and inflation

Question is What are you doing abt it.

phantom_opera
11-07-12, 15:47
REITs holders demand higher yield. Well economy dynamics. if consumers refuse to pay for the items at inflated price. i.e. buy online. Busisness fails and REITs can't get tenants. then Adjustment have to happen. ...

Amazon, Q100, taobao.. just to names a few. Also direct online buying from overseas too!

Not everything can buy online, can u buy soy milk online? Of course you can import your own Canadian beans and grind yourself if you have all the time in the world but not everyone can.

SREITS return 10% for past 10y vs 5% of STI ..... :p

minority
11-07-12, 23:09
Not everything can buy online, can u buy soy milk online? Of course you can import your own Canadian beans and grind yourself if you have all the time in the world but not everyone can.

SREITS return 10% for past 10y vs 5% of STI ..... :p

expensive then don't consume lor. soybean milk is not essential staple. sugar, rice, flour are staples.

some stuff buy local. some buy online then.

carbuncle
11-07-12, 23:14
Wat to do? have to fund the cleaner , Land lord, transport etc cost.. Time to ask for a raise!

n the cycle repeat itself. Nothing is as certain than death ,life, tax and inflation

Question is What are you doing abt it.

The enlightened ones have come to their senses and took matters into their own hands at certain reservoirs.

minority
12-07-12, 01:50
The enlightened ones have come to their senses and took matters into their own hands at certain reservoirs.

Good for them.

cnud
12-07-12, 16:52
But it seems in your world, everything goes up without coming down. Practical?

carbuncle
12-07-12, 20:59
Buyers expect property prices in S'pore to continue rising: survey
By Wong Siew Ying | Posted: 12 July 2012 1651 hrs

SINGAPORE: Credit Suisse said its recent survey found that majority of the respondents expect property prices in Singapore to continue to rise and more cooling measures to come.

According to its inaugural proprietary housing survey, six in 10 home buyers believe that there'll be more cooling measures, with 40 per cent of them expecting measures to be introduced in the next 12 months.

Credit Suisse noted that buyers are most sensitive to capital gains tax and stamp duties.

Of the 300 people polled, 53 per cent of them said that their buying decision will be influenced by government measures.

About 47 per cent of the respondents also expect property prices and rentals to rise.

Credit Suisse said the survey also found that about 30 per cent of home buyers purchased a property for investments while the rest are genuine buyers who bought a property for own occupation or for their family members.

In particular, about six in 10 buyers said they would not buy a shoebox apartment.

Shoebox apartments have been popular with home buyers in the last couple of years and have helped to drive up new homes sales as they are seen to be more affordable.

By the looks of the survey findings, Credit Suisse expects home sales in the primary market to moderate "to more normalised levels" after the record sales volumes in the first four months of this year.

According to data released by the Urban Redevelopment Authority, over 10,600 units of new private homes have been sold from January to May 2012.

The survey showed that just 21 per cent of the respondents are considering buying a residential property over the next 12 months, while 40 per cent of them said there are no plans to buy a property anytime soon.

Still, Credit Suisse said 76 per cent of households are able to afford a property fairly as liquidity remains strong.

It noted that 47 per cent of the respondents do not have an existing mortgage, while another 46 per cent have only one mortgage.

The survey also revealed that 30 per cent of households have over S$100,000 in cash, which could easily form the downpayment for the purchase of a property.

The Credit Suisse proprietary housing survey polled 300 respondents, 89 per cent of them are Singapore citizens, 10 per cent are permanent residents and the rest are foreigners.

- CNA/fa

graveyard
12-07-12, 22:10

SINGAPORE: Credit Suisse said its recent survey found that majority of the respondents expect property prices in Singapore to continue to rise and more cooling measures to come.

According to its inaugural proprietary housing survey, six in 10 home buyers believe that there'll be more cooling measures, with 40 per cent of them expecting measures to be introduced in the next 12 months.

Credit Suisse noted that buyers are most sensitive to capital gains tax and stamp duties.

Of the 300 people polled, 53 per cent of them said that their buying decision will be influenced by government measures.

About 47 per cent of the respondents also expect property prices and rentals to rise.

Credit Suisse said the survey also found that about 30 per cent of home buyers purchased a property for investments while the rest are genuine buyers who bought a property for own occupation or for their family members.

In particular, about six in 10 buyers said they would not buy a shoebox apartment.

Shoebox apartments have been popular with home buyers in the last couple of years and have helped to drive up new homes sales as they are seen to be more affordable.

By the looks of the survey findings, Credit Suisse expects home sales in the primary market to moderate "to more normalised levels" after the record sales volumes in the first four months of this year.

According to data released by the Urban Redevelopment Authority, over 10,600 units of new private homes have been sold from January to May 2012.

The survey showed that just 21 per cent of the respondents are considering buying a residential property over the next 12 months, while 40 per cent of them said there are no plans to buy a property anytime soon.

Still, Credit Suisse said 76 per cent of households are able to afford a property fairly as liquidity remains strong.

It noted that 47 per cent of the respondents do not have an existing mortgage, while another 46 per cent have only one mortgage.

The survey also revealed that 30 per cent of households have over S$100,000 in cash, which could easily form the downpayment for the purchase of a property.

The Credit Suisse proprietary housing survey polled 300 respondents, 89 per cent of them are Singapore citizens, 10 per cent are permanent residents and the rest are foreigners.

- CNA/fa

sighz. Restrict PR in subletting HDB = rentable HDB supply down = rent increase = property price increase? :scared-1: :eek:

hopeful
13-07-12, 09:31

sorry about the maths.
how does 47 % expect property prices to rise translate to a majority of respondents?

carbuncle
13-07-12, 12:14
sorry about the maths.
how does 47 % expect property prices to rise translate to a majority of respondents?

Good observation bro. i offer you famous quote: You Ask Me I Ask Who?

(my name not Wong Siew Ying btw)

A matter of placement. Your question would be avoided if writer had instead wrote:

"majority of the respondents expect more cooling measures to come and property prices in Singapore to continue to rise"

Now the 'majority' aspect is placed mainly on the 'expect more cooling measures to come' which is 60% as quoted which qualifies for definition of majority.

minority
13-07-12, 13:33
But it seems in your world, everything goes up without coming down. Practical?

Wats goes up must come down. Question is magnitude.

minority
13-07-12, 13:37
sighz. Restrict PR in subletting HDB = rentable HDB supply down = rent increase = property price increase? :scared-1: :eek:

Before jumping to that conclusion of rental increase. how big is the PR renting out HDB? also the target audience of affordability ie.. 2.5-3K pm ? I remember seeing some where are 2K+ house holds falls into that status.. Is that being enough to drive up rental?

Keppel Reflection itself have 1129 units and many are out for rent in the market.

Jonathan0503
13-07-12, 14:30
sorry about the maths.

My guess:

47% expect price to go up
Maybe 30% expect price to be stagnant and 23% expect price to fall.
So majority still expecting price to rise? Valid argument?

phantom_opera
13-07-12, 14:32
Natas fair to be bigger this year

IF THERE is an economic slowdown looming, the travel industry is not feeling it. Travel agents are so bullish about their business for the rest of the year

:p

phantom_opera
13-07-12, 14:36
SINGAPORE, July 11 (Reuters) - The Singapore dollar hit a
14-year high against the ringgit on Wednesday as offshore funds
continued to seek relatively safer assets and on views that
Malaysia may allow a weaker currency to spur growth amid global
economic slowdown.
The city-state's currency rose 0.7 percent
against the neighboring unit to 2.5170, the highest since July

=> broken major resistance, technically SGD-MYR very bullish, next target will be all time high recorded in 1997 which is 2.72RM to 1SGD

=> risk of foreign currency risk for SGD MYR has increased

=> make goods imported from MYR cheaper, moderating inflation

carbuncle
13-07-12, 14:50
TV already started showing interesting food/spots to visit in M'sia again... Skudai... Kluang... etcetc

graveyard
13-07-12, 17:31
TV already started showing interesting food/spots to visit in M'sia again... Skudai... Kluang... etcetc

Even list out the SGD equivalent from the MYR price tag. Sure invoke the famous "WAH SO CHEAP" from the local

Laguna
13-07-12, 23:22
just spent a day at KLCC...lots of good buys
no GST, strong S$
wife happy, happy

dtrax
14-07-12, 00:13
next stop Europe... many now wanna hoot uber cheap branded stuff in europe now

Laguna
14-07-12, 00:14
next stop Europe... many now wanna hoot uber cheap branded stuff in europe now

no lah!
I dun like long haul flight and will not let the wife over spend on bags and shoes, and fashion...

must control...retiree has no income

zzz1
14-07-12, 00:25
no GST, strong S$
wife happy, happy

Did u visit the sky bridge ?klcc the basement car Park is relative clean and bright...

Recomm u to try visit one utama , privilion ... Or the new maga mall beside mid valley...

zzz1
14-07-12, 00:33
REITs holders demand higher yield. Well economy dynamics. if consumers refuse to pay for the items at inflated price. i.e. buy online. Busisness fails and REITs can't get tenants. then Adjustment have to happen.

What we see are smaller shops these days. cutting down the floor size giving more variety and smaller rental.

I guess this is market economics..

consumers like me have moved online so many choice today in the global economy...

Taobao... Hmmm . How u order? Direct or thru middle man ?

Laguna
14-07-12, 10:59
Did u visit the sky bridge ?klcc the basement car Park is relative clean and bright...

Recomm u to try visit one utama , privilion ... Or the new maga mall beside mid valley...

I visited years back, and was free
now is RM$80....so saved the money...

all shopping malls....same same lah....

wait for M$ to drop some more and go for shopping

cnud
14-07-12, 11:17
Buy Iskandar properties now!

zzz1
14-07-12, 13:00

What shopping?? Some time, think about it, as the exchange is in our favour and we tend to spend more. End up lp-pl..

Mid valley, some time got okt come with iPad for viewing/marketting...Slightly diff la...

phantom_opera
14-07-12, 13:02
Wantoon shrinking, so is standard 2br condo size, 2009 still got 936sqft now all 646sqft .... CAPL also not much better 1+S at 635sqft

The net effect of REITs is shopping mall unit from 5 units 10 unites same space .... macam pasir malam

cnud
14-07-12, 13:55
Reason why new launched doing better than resale is the 4 years ABSD effect. Another unintended result of the colling measures.

Buyers thinking developers take 3-4 years to build and by then can sell at tidy profit.

carbuncle
14-07-12, 15:27
no GST, strong S$
wife happy, happy

From this confirm Laguna is MALE and a doting father.

carbuncle
14-07-12, 15:29

The skybridge... last time I tried, must queue early like 815am... then bo bao get some more... but it's limited free entry la.

carbuncle
14-07-12, 15:30
Reason why new launched doing better than resale is the 4 years ABSD effect. Another unintended result of the colling measures.

Buyers thinking developers take 3-4 years to build and by then can sell at tidy profit.

Until they kena 'sabo' by boutique developers who finish in double quick time...

Kelonguni
14-07-12, 21:39
Until they kena 'sabo' by boutique developers who finish in double quick time...

Build fast good right? Can live in early or rent out faster.

Build slow also ok. As mentioned, for ABSD... Win no matter what, main thing is must have dough.

phantom_opera
19-07-12, 10:53
8%, 5% or official < 2% as spoken by Bernanke??

I think the truth is probably closer to 5%

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/inflation-charts

This is important as people normally use CPI to calculate real return vs nominal return

Our Singapore CPI is actually much more believable ... 5.2% :mad:

Laguna
19-07-12, 10:54

LOL...I said, WIFE...but did not say "MY WIFE"
I can refer to myself as WIFE....

phantom_opera
23-07-12, 10:53
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/23/fed-idUSL6E8IN03Q20120723

Scary ... QE without terminal date, print as Your Majesty US Fed thinks necessary?? :scared-1:

phantom_opera
23-07-12, 10:59
ECB board member Benoit Coeure said on Friday that the ECB might cut rates to below zero. He said that the central bank is closely observing events in Denmark, where two year yields have dropped into negative territory, as they have in Switzerland.

:doh:

CCR
25-07-12, 08:28
Take loan from bank free or they will pay you to take loan ah? :D

phantom_opera
29-07-12, 12:20
SINGAPORE households expect prices to rise a faster 4.4 per cent in the year ahead, the latest Singapore Management University (SMU)-MasterCard Singapore Index of Inflation Expectations index shows.
Responses from 400 households polled online in June produced a composite index that suggest that consumers expect inflation of 4.4 per cent over the next year, after expectations fell to 4.2 per cent in the March survey from 4.6 per cent in December.
But the researchers behind the index see "early indications" that inflation expectations on the ground are reaching a plateau, as communication from the central bank helps anchor expectations.
With Singapore's inflation currently stuck at levels above its historical average, more economist have raised the need for policymakers to not only keep inflation in check but also ensure that expectations of future inflation are not unhinged. Beliefs about where prices are headed shape consumers' spending and wage decisions, feeding into actual inflation in the future.

radha08
29-07-12, 13:36

i agree 99.999%...:D

radha08
29-07-12, 13:38

oH!! ya BOY(pun intended)...

radha08
29-07-12, 13:39
SINGAPORE, July 11 (Reuters) - The Singapore dollar hit a
14-year high against the ringgit on Wednesday as offshore funds
continued to seek relatively safer assets and on views that
Malaysia may allow a weaker currency to spur growth amid global
economic slowdown.
The city-state's currency rose 0.7 percent
against the neighboring unit to 2.5170, the highest since July

=> broken major resistance, technically SGD-MYR very bullish, next target will be all time high recorded in 1997 which is 2.72RM to 1SGD

=> risk of foreign currency risk for SGD MYR has increased

=> make goods imported from MYR cheaper, moderating inflation

thats GOOD news now its cheaper to BRIBE if u get a speeding ticket...:eek:

phantom_opera
29-07-12, 13:43
1 SGD = 2.5353 MYR +0.00590 (0.233%)

2.7 in 12 months time :2cents:

buttercarp
29-07-12, 21:40
oH!! ya BOY(pun intended)...

You mean "oh boy, laguna" (pun also intended, ie instead of young boy).

LOL......

Got 2 mutual friends with the same name.
One surname is Oh, another is Yang.
So just right, cos mr oh is older than mr yang.

kane
29-07-12, 22:41
SINGAPORE households expect prices to rise a faster 4.4 per cent in the year ahead, the latest Singapore Management University (SMU)-MasterCard Singapore Index of Inflation Expectations index shows.
Responses from 400 households polled online in June produced a composite index that suggest that consumers expect inflation of 4.4 per cent over the next year, after expectations fell to 4.2 per cent in the March survey from 4.6 per cent in December.
But the researchers behind the index see "early indications" that inflation expectations on the ground are reaching a plateau, as communication from the central bank helps anchor expectations.
With Singapore's inflation currently stuck at levels above its historical average, more economist have raised the need for policymakers to not only keep inflation in check but also ensure that expectations of future inflation are not unhinged. Beliefs about where prices are headed shape consumers' spending and wage decisions, feeding into actual inflation in the future.

how should i be reading the results of the survey if the published inflation rate is over 5%? is the 400 household wrong? or should i expect inflation to cool off? and if so, what's the catalyst to cool inflation?

Allthepies
29-07-12, 22:44
But many people still saying housing market will crash next year and waiting to buy :D :D

But I guess the majority (the expected result) are usually wrong :D :D

phantom_opera
31-07-12, 21:14
Bill Gross, who runs the world’s biggest bond fund at Pacific Investment Management Co., said governments may turn to financial repression and various forms of quantitative easing to inflate asset values as equities fail to match historical returns.
The so-called Siegel Constant, which purports to show a long-term history of history of inflation-adjusted equity real returns of 6.6 percent since 1912, may be a “historical freak” unlikely to be seen again, Gross said in his monthly investment outlook posted on the Newport Beach, California-based company’s website today. Presuming a 2 percent return for bonds and 4 percent nominal returns for stocks, a diversified portfolio produces a nominal return of 3 percent and inflation-adjusted returns near zero, he wrote.
Since private pension funds, government budgets and household savings balances often assume a minimum 7 percent to 8 percent minimum annual appreciation, policy makers emulating historical patterns may be tempted to inflate their way “out of the corner,” even though inflation doesn’t doesn’t create true wealth and doesn’t fairly distribute pain and benefits across society, Gross wrote.

“Unfair though it may be, an investor should continue to expect an attempted inflationary solution in all almost all developed economies over the next few years and even decades,” Gross wrote. “The cult of equity may be dying, but the cult of inflation may have only just begun.”

phantom_opera
01-08-12, 09:41
Super low yield of JGB ... is US/SG 10y bond yield going to drop below 1%??

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/chart?type=c13&cfg=yldCurve_10.xml&x=3m|6m|1y|2y|3y|4y|5y|6y|7y|8y|9y|10y|15y|20y|30y&y1=0.101|0.1|0.093|0.092|0.089|0.095|0.172|0.259|0.396|0.495|0.633|0.767|1.21|1.588|1.787&y2=0.101|0.1|0.093|0.093|0.092|0.113|0.188|0.277|0.419|0.515|0.655|0.784|1.229|1.605|1.81&y3=0.001|0.0|0.001|-0.003|-0.001|-0.02|-0.015|-0.017|-0.014|-0.011|-0.007|-0.002|-0.002|-0.005|-0.006&img=png

phantom_opera
01-08-12, 22:02
Today I learn a new term "Shadow Inflation". This type of inflation is normally not picked up by CPI measures and thus not counted as inflation by the government. Sell you same price but give you less quantity.

http://www.mybudget360.com/shadow-inflation-hits-shoppers-through-economic-sleight-hand-inflation-products-finances/

maisonjai
01-08-12, 22:43
A lot of hawkers doing it isn't it, -1 fishball, -1 wanton etc. 无影手..haha

teddybear
01-08-12, 23:10
Well well, this type not clever enough. There is another kind of "inflation" that you can't count, is subjective and difficult to detect! - What else, my favorite example is the quality of toilet paper! :scared-2:
I still remember for a much cheaper price, I used to get quite good quality toilet papers (like $3 per pack of 12 rolls and quick tightly squeezed together). Now, I need to pay almost $7 to get toilet papers of same quality in pack of 12 rolls and yet more loosely packed per roll! :doh:

How to use CPI to measure quality of toilet papers? :hell-hath-no-fury:
And I like to quote toilet papers because I am sensitive to rough toilet papers and that has an inflation of >100% within 10 years! :p

Today I learn a new term "Shadow Inflation". This type of inflation is normally not picked up by CPI measures and thus not counted as inflation by the government. Sell you same price but give you less quantity.

http://www.mybudget360.com/shadow-inflation-hits-shoppers-through-economic-sleight-hand-inflation-products-finances/

hopeful
02-08-12, 17:45
anybody doing anything about food inflation?

like anybody stock on essential items like rice, toilet rolls?
opportunity cost of stocking up is only your foregone bank interest.

the poor cannot stock essential items because no money.
the rich dont stock because essential items are small expenditure.
the middle class dont stock because ?

like it is hot weather in states, grain prices have shot up (but have come down a bit), anybody stocking up on flour, soybean ?

if nobody stocked, then inflation is still manageable isnt it.:rolleyes:

phantom_opera
04-08-12, 19:56
http://buybyeproperty.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/money-supply.jpg

phantom_opera
08-08-12, 10:51
Even junk bond also in demand now

Yields on US junk-rated debt hit new lows
Appetite driven by hunt for returns amid low interest rates
US corporate debt feeds investors’ hunger Investors turn to global corporate debt

phantom_opera
10-08-12, 12:13
Corn and Wheat and Soya Bean up like crazy... US drought

Wynyard
14-08-12, 19:46
Taobao... Hmmm . How u order? Direct or thru middle man ?
You have to order thru middle man... taobao sellers don't accept non-China credit cards.

But too many fake things in China liao, so I usually buy books... fake also never mind :)

phantom_opera
06-09-12, 18:07
Be prepared for another inflation tsunami, gold is pricing QE3 + bond buying from ECB tonight :banghead:

Spot Gold (100oz)
+15.42