PDA

View Full Version : Social Implications of Property CRASH...

radha08
08-04-12, 10:20
In every kind of market...ie property/shares..etc etc...there will always BE Bulls and Bears....at different stages of our life depending on our own personal investment strategy we can be a bull bear...

Today morning over a breakfast of nasi lemak and teh tarek at good old siglap village i was looking at all the hustle/bustle around me..i.e families/maids/banglas...:scared-1:.....enjoying the morning...

I was thinking to myself...what IF the singapore property market were to crash...realistically 20 to 30% from where it is NOW...would that be good or bad...:confused:

i remember back in early 2009 it was a DOOMSDAY scenario....everybody thought it was end of the world personally my company also retrenched staff i remember a colleague of mind getting envelope he couldnt even look up to say goodbye..he has 2 young children and a HDB flat to take care of...:o

Anyway luckily WE pulled out of that NOT only did we PULL we SHOT thru the ROOF(Pun intended)...:D

But i was thinking like if today something like 2009 were to happen if would SERIOUSLY/Surely be MUCH more serious than 2009...cos a whole LOT more people have committed to HUGE mortgages..and if the Ship was to start sinking...a LOT more damage will happen...my income has not risen much since 2009 but look at COE/COV and all that Bullshit...:doh:

all i can say at this moment is.....if the ship were to start sinking...

run faster run....:scared-1:

yowetan
08-04-12, 10:23
In every kind of market...ie property/shares..etc etc...there will always BE Bulls and Bears....at different stages of our life depending on our own personal investment strategy we can be a bull bear...

Today morning over a breakfast of nasi lemak and teh tarek at good old siglap village i was looking at all the hustle/bustle around me..i.e families/maids/banglas...:scared-1:.....enjoying the morning...

I was thinking to myself...what IF the singapore property market were to crash...realistically 20 to 30% from where it is NOW...would that be good or bad...:confused:

i remember back in early 2009 it was a DOOMSDAY scenario....everybody thought it was end of the world personally my company also retrenched staff i remember a colleague of mind getting envelope he couldnt even look up to say goodbye..he has 2 young children and a HDB flat to take care of...:o

Anyway luckily WE pulled out of that NOT only did we PULL we SHOT thru the ROOF(Pun intended)...:D

But i was thinking like if today something like 2009 were to happen if would SERIOUSLY/Surely be MUCH more serious than 2009...cos a whole LOT more people have committed to HUGE mortgages..and if the Ship was to start sinking...a LOT more damage will happen...my income has not risen much since 2009 but look at COE/COV and all that Bullshit...:doh:

Could you share with me more of your profile, age etc? I have reqested a few times.

buttercarp
08-04-12, 10:26
I thought it was the end of the world in 2003 during the SARS period.
Just enjoy life as it is now but also plan properly.

Laguna
08-04-12, 10:28
Could you share with me more of your profile, age etc? I have reqested a few times.

let me guess

One HDB flat and one rental landed property
with tons of cash

buttercarp
08-04-12, 10:28

You go read his previous posts..... he has mentioned it there.

DC33_2008
08-04-12, 10:43
It with these dips that the rich becomes richer. It is important that there is no repeat of the 1996 crisis. I am glad that asian market is stronger now with the dragon head in this part of the world.;)

roly8
08-04-12, 10:45
respect pple privacy meh... :D

radha08
08-04-12, 10:52

why bro u want to use me as benchmark ah...no need lah...just run your own race....last time i also like to compare myself to people but end up my life very bitter and i never move forward cos i always thinking what others have and i dont have....nowadays i just focus on my own goals/aspirations...think how i can improve my life and my family life...how to invest in my children so one day they can help me continue building my empire....but if you really must know...here its is....

age group 40 to 50:)
Sex Group...100% MALE:cheers4:
Marital status...HAPPILY married(MOST IMPORTANT GROUP):cheers4:
housing group....HDB supporter:p
income group...0-10k:scared-2:
health group...physically active:o
mental group...stable:scared-1:
intended housing group..FH terrace(cannot afford):ashamed1:
2nd intended housing group...PC(dunno WHAT still searching):D
Vehicle group...2 dr suzuki....Small and Fasttttt:cheers1:

hope that answers your questions...

radha08
08-04-12, 10:54

that one also but human memory is short....:cool:..most remember 2009 better...

yowetan
08-04-12, 10:56
why bro u want to use me as benchmark ah...no need lah...just run your own race....last time i also like to compare myself to people but end up my life very bitter and i never move forward cos i always thinking what others have and i dont have....nowadays i just focus on my own goals/aspirations...think how i can improve my life and my family life...how to invest in my children so one day they can help me continue building my empire....but if you really must know...here its is....

Thanks, Your motivation has inspired me. I will fight for my landed dream too.

radha08
08-04-12, 10:57
let me guess

One HDB flat and one rental landed property
with tons of cash

NOT tons...but just enough to put downpayment on a decent condo...and slave myself for rest of my life to a million dollar loan if i commit NOW...well isnt that the SINGAPOREAN dream....the rental landed is just a little LUXURY that i can give myself/family....instead of taking them to disneyland/tokyo/sentosa...:scared-1:

DC33_2008
08-04-12, 10:58
Have you considered buying 1-2 condos instead of putting all the money into one FH landed?
Thanks, Your motivation has inspired me. I will fight for my landed dream too.

Laguna
08-04-12, 11:11
NOT tons...but just enough to put downpayment on a decent condo...and slave myself for rest of my life to a million dollar loan if i commit NOW...well isnt that the SINGAPOREAN dream....the rental landed is just a little LUXURY that i can give myself/family....instead of taking them to disneyland/tokyo/sentosa...:scared-1:

I hv a different view :
1. Landed property in Frankel give u the space but not the life style of condo (good condo)

2. u may not be a slave to the property but making monies from property.

ikan bilis
08-04-12, 11:54
why bro u want to use me as benchmark ah...no need lah...just run your own race....last time i also like to compare myself to people but end up my life very bitter and i never move forward cos i always thinking what others have and i dont have....nowadays i just focus on my own goals/aspirations...think how i can improve my life and my family life...how to invest in my children so one day they can help me continue building my empire....

Yeah!! :cheers4:

Santro
08-04-12, 13:00
Bro, the impact will be over-compounded in my opinion.
1) Property price down 20-30%.
2) Rental income down.
3) Property loan interest rate starts going up.
4) Cos will start to cut jobs increasing fear.
5) People start complaining asking govt to intervene.
6) Govt start reversal of cooling measures but too late as the major damage already done.
7) Our currency SG$ will lose the steam and start moving down. No more attractive to FT.

During the 2003 or 2009 time, people were not so adventurous to jump into million dollar loans but this time, its different.
I still remember around 2003, one of my ex-colleague buy new 3 bedroom condo at 800k. After few months complain that her neighbour buy similar unit for 650k.
Just imagine a PR or foreigner, jobless with million $ loan. Do you think they will stay back and wait for recovery or move back or to another country and start afresh. :eek:

Thats why I always pray that Mr B is wrong. But if it happens, it going to be a real big one!!!

Leeds
08-04-12, 13:14
If property crash is due to economic crisis, it will be bad for most people. However, if property crash is due to government intervention like in China and Hong Kong, it is not too bad since people are still holding on to their jobs and paying their bills.

In fact, property correction through government intervention is not a bad thing now when income is lagging far behind prices of property. Without government intervention now, the bubble will burst and affect our economy which will turn into a crisis like what happen in the US.

Finance Minister pointed out correctly few days ago that Singapore was in the unhappy stage of the property cycle with income lagging price increases and under supply of flats over the last ten years; hence resulted in today's situation. He advised that we should wait a little bit more. This government is finally deviating a little from its policy of continuous asset enhancement.

Like what the out-spoken Professor (cannot remember his name) said last week, we can only cash out from asset enhancement programme in one generation but what about the next generation? Can continuous asset enhancement be sustainable?

phantom_opera
08-04-12, 13:23
Yeah garmen will continue to enhance Coe, erp, REIT, Sers that moves u out of prime area, taxi fare, mrt fare, entrance fees to garden by the bay, maid levy, agency fees etc

yowetan
08-04-12, 14:00
Have you considered buying 1-2 condos instead of putting all the money into one FH landed?

I am open to all suggestions, but I have an outstanding loan of 460k.

My upfront cash component is only 100k at best. How am I going to get 1-2 condos then?

ysyap
08-04-12, 14:14

My upfront cash component is only 100k at best. How am I going to get 1-2 condos then?With outstanding loan, you only qualify for 60% LTV... 1st option is to invest not in property coz $100k can only get you a $250k 3 room HDB resale but the irony is you can't buy hdb if you have pc so its as good as no option. 2nd option is to find someone (preferably not a friend) to share in investing in a property but now is still not the ideal time to enter the property market. Wait some more...:cheers6:

buttercarp
08-04-12, 14:21

My upfront cash component is only 100k at best. How am I going to get 1-2 condos then?

100k is only enough to buy COE and go on a holiday.
If you really want advice, i think most of the forummers here have already repeatedly gave you very sound advice.

roly8
08-04-12, 14:25

got a phrase :
small head..don't wear so big hat..

live/spend within your mean..
material stuff are just temporary in your lifetime..
what is important is health, freedom & loved one...:D:D

jwong71
08-04-12, 14:27
100k is only enough to buy COE and go on a holiday.
If you really want advice, i think most of the forummers here have already repeatedly gave you very sound advice.

he just mati mati wanna to hoot 1 pte property la..
later kena goreng jialiat jialiat!!:D

yowetan: cash 100k pls not too much, with 460k loan to service. and pooled in ur parents 2k+.. you will find urself in tight spot

radha08
08-04-12, 14:30

fh landed is out IMHO not worth it NO matter how strong desire is UNLESS you can afford it...with 70% DP...or more...:rolleyes:

radha08
08-04-12, 14:33
got a phrase :

:cheers4:...i also say

ysyap
08-04-12, 14:34
fh landed is out IMHO not worth it NO matter how strong desire is UNLESS you can afford it...with 70% DP...or more...:rolleyes:2 years back I was looking around for a homestay property. Looked at FH landed and PC... deliberated for several months then decided to go for PC. My spouse say my pattern will not enjoy looking after my land... best get someone to look after for me by paying some maintenance fee... :D Plus I use facilities too... :)

radha08
08-04-12, 14:42
2 years back I was looking around for a homestay property. Looked at FH landed and PC... deliberated for several months then decided to go for PC. My spouse say my pattern will not enjoy looking after my land... best get someone to look after for me by paying some maintenance fee... :D Plus I use facilities too... :)

:cheers4:....thats right dont be slave to your property be the MASTER...:D

KC76
08-04-12, 14:56
got a phrase :

i think he aspires to own one Pc but d cash outlay is too little. More prudent would be to pay up existing pty, save more cash before getting a pc.

KC76
08-04-12, 14:58

Ur outstanding loan is on pc or hdb?

KC76
08-04-12, 15:01
:cheers4:...i also say

I guess his situation would be diff if he has $300k cash and existing loan is say only $100k n below.

zzz1
08-04-12, 15:14
I suppose during down turn, the most important is holding power and cash at hand to tie over the tide and letting the dust to settle take time,.. Once it is clearer , it time to take the plunge to accumulate mire asset.. For an avg Joe like me, it gona require some guts of steel ball to commit more property ..

I suppose that how the rich just getting richer , waiting for down turn to come...

Montaigne
08-04-12, 16:33
got a phrase :

Household income less than 8k, 2k pool from parents. Outstanding housing loan $460 with only $100k+ cash.
I think it's either I'm too risk adverse or I too kiasi, I will not dare to touch a second property. if I cannot find tenant how? The rental market is not always so Rosy. for his case,I don't think he can afford to leave either property vacant at all. When there is no rental income yet u are tied down with two loans what are u going to do?

Montaigne
08-04-12, 16:37
I guess his situation would be diff if he has $300k cash and existing loan is say only $100k n below.
Agree, but with income of 7k, I still think too risky for property more than 1 mil. MN still ok I guess.

Douk
08-04-12, 17:42
I say.. If want to jump off the cliff, don't drag old parents along.

yowetan
08-04-12, 18:42
Ur outstanding loan is on pc or hdb?

Mine is a bank loan on HDB.

stiook
08-04-12, 18:56
Agree, but with income of 7k, I still think too risky for property more than 1 mil. MN still ok I guess.

I would not touch anything at all... Just keep for rainy days... What is $100k these days... Soon not enough for a piece of paper call COE.

I really be able to sleep in piece in a HDB, then having insomnia in a FH landed. Maybe I just too kiasi...

PN
08-04-12, 21:03

It's amazing to know you have a big dream with 100k.

Young man pls go calculate how much is the stamp duty for a 2.3mil landed before you dream further.

Don't waste your time. Go do something more realistic.

Regulators
08-04-12, 21:24
Pay off your only pty first, then consider second and third. Too risky to leverage at this point when you have nothing to cover yourself if market turns south. I was not born with a silver spoon, so started off with a brand new hdb flat from govt which earned me some decent gains (must give that to gahmen). I bought another resale hdb and fully paid off when my business picked up then went for my first, second then third pc as my business grew. All hard work and no short cuts to pty investment.
Mine is a bank loan on HDB.

DaytonaSS
09-04-12, 00:40

for every sheep that falls, there is another wolf waiting to prowl on it. Another crisis surely come one, but you shouldnt underestimate the 30's-40; group whom have make a few/at least hand from property, and those who accumulated big cash holding in the last 10 years of bull ran. i can only tell u, alot is waiting on the side. Not counting the multi-millionaire who eat multiple sheeps on 1 go one.

Well, although the man in white havent put ordinary Singaporeans on top of the list for a long while already, the economy has done well IMHO for the last 10 years. That have been the backbone of all the chonging we are seeing issnt it?

finally your income didnt increase much because you were comfortable where u are and didnt look for a change? The Ass Tight job market in 2010,2011 was the best time to take a hugh pay increment no? i know at least 10 friends had increment min $500-$1k..... when they exercise their leg muscle hoping ard.

All i m thinking is the ship looks shiny and sturdy at the moment although the headwind still looks strong.

Ringo33
09-04-12, 00:52
for every sheep that falls, there is another wolf waiting to prowl on it. Another crisis surely come one, but you shouldnt underestimate the 30's-40; group whom have make a few/at least hand from property, and those who accumulated big cash holding in the last 10 years of bull ran. i can only tell u, alot is waiting on the side. Not counting the multi-millionaire who eat multiple sheeps on 1 go one.

Well, although the man in white havent put ordinary Singaporeans on top of the list for a long while already, the economy has done well IMHO for the last 10 years. That have been the backbone of all the chonging we are seeing issnt it?

finally your income didnt increase much because you were comfortable where u are and didnt look for a change? The Ass Tight job market in 2010,2011 was the best time to take a hugh pay increment no? i know at least 10 friends had increment min $500-$1k..... when they exercise their leg muscle hoping ard.

All i m thinking is the ship looks shiny and sturdy at the moment although the headwind still looks strong.

To be honest, I am not feeling very good about this "crisis" because it feels like it is a non-event even though we all know it is happening.
The longer it takes to correct, the longer it will take to recover, just like the lost decade of the Japanese.

DaytonaSS
09-04-12, 01:15
To be honest, I am not feeling very good about this "crisis" because it feels like it is a non-event even though we all know it is happening.
The longer it takes to correct, the longer it will take to recover, just like the lost decade of the Japanese.

Japanese are resistance to change. All the old folks hanging on while the young folks are unemployed. look at companies like Sony, edged out by Samsung. Innovation need young blood, new ideas.

i think we should be prepared for normal 3-5% kind of price growth if economy move along. No more out of the world shooting thru the roof.

Ringo33
09-04-12, 01:28
Japanese are resistance to change. All the old folks hanging on while the young folks are unemployed. look at companies like Sony, edged out by Samsung. Innovation need young blood, new ideas.

i think we should be prepared for normal 3-5% kind of price growth if economy move along. No more out of the world shooting thru the roof.

I am comparing Singapore property prices to the lost japanese decade, where prices are going down very slowly and continue to drag on for years.

At the moment it seems like we are going through a tug of war between a populist government who wants to cool the property market and the market liquidity that encourage investors to continue buying property.

blackjack21trader
09-04-12, 05:11
2 years back I was looking around for a homestay property. Looked at FH landed and PC... deliberated for several months then decided to go for PC. My spouse say my pattern will not enjoy looking after my land... best get someone to look after for me by paying some maintenance fee... :D Plus I use facilities too... :)

not only that. it is socially healthier for your young children to grow up in private condo environment because they can mix around with many different residents from different nationality or schools. :)

radha08
09-04-12, 10:30
not only that. it is socially healthier for your young children to grow up in private condo environment because they can mix around with many different residents from different nationality or schools. :)

totally agree from personal experience my kids were much happier staying in pc compared to landed....now they complain no pool no friends....:doh:....landed children all atas one never mix around mother/father always drive them around in BM/Merc...:scared-5:

Laguna
09-04-12, 11:03
totally agree from personal experience my kids were much happier staying in pc compared to landed....now they complain no pool no friends....:doh:....landed children all atas one never mix around mother/father always drive them around in BM/Merc...:scared-5:

Im also so much happier in the condo with gym, pools and majong room

roly8
09-04-12, 11:06

thx for sharing experience..
good for parent to be like me.. :D

always thought of going landed.. lol

maybe i should go with HDB first?
but no pool like condo...:tongue3:

buttercarp
09-04-12, 11:16
Mine had lots of fun too especially when they were in pri sch. Most of their schoolmates were from the same condo and they had so much fun playing and swimming together. Now that they are bigger and some of the friends have gone to different secondary schools, they no longer get together downstairs. So I guess it is a good time to shift to a larger place where they will have their own room.

buttercarp
09-04-12, 11:20

It's true.... i m gonna miss the gym.

minority
09-04-12, 11:24

HDB better even more people to mix with.!

lufu
09-04-12, 17:08

I thought so too...
end of the world during 97 Asian Crisis
end of the world during dot com bubble
end of the world during Iraq War
end of the world during Sept 11
end of the world during SARS
end of the world during Lehman Financial crisis
end of the world at the start of Euro crisis. Actually it has been in crisis 2 years and counting.

what else did I miss? :D

ysyap
09-04-12, 17:19
not only that. it is socially healthier for your young children to grow up in private condo environment because they can mix around with many different residents from different nationality or schools. :)Yup.. totally agree... the pool is definitely one big incentive for the kids too... just hope the neighbors have kids about the same age otherwise also very difficult to mix around. Also hope that their kids will not be nasty...

gn108
09-04-12, 17:24
Ya the post '65 generation have many opportunity to get rich or lose your pants/ies.

The brave and the lucky profited ...

I thought so too...
end of the world during 97 Asian Crisis
end of the world during dot com bubble
end of the world during Iraq War
end of the world during Sept 11
end of the world during SARS
end of the world during Lehman Financial crisis
end of the world at the start of Euro crisis. Actually it has been in crisis 2 years and counting.

what else did I miss? :D

lufu
09-04-12, 18:14
Ya the post '65 generation have many opportunity to get rich or lose your pants/ies.

The brave and the lucky profited ...

Those born in 80s at the sideline waiting eagerly for a crash

Those in the 90s trying for their lucky dip sure win BTO

haha!!

radha08
09-04-12, 20:09
Yup.. totally agree... the pool is definitely one big incentive for the kids too... just hope the neighbors have kids about the same age otherwise also very difficult to mix around. Also hope that their kids will not be nasty...

over weekend i went too see new launch nowadays it seems ne condos got at least 3 to 4 different types of pools...:cheers1:...developer must be reading this forum...:D

roly8
09-04-12, 21:11
Those born in 80s at the sideline waiting eagerly for a crash

Those in the 90s trying for their lucky dip sure win BTO

haha!!

i am one of them but the hard truth is it will not drop much.. :beats-me-man:

stiook
09-04-12, 22:20
It's amazing to know you have a big dream with 100k.

Young man pls go calculate how much is the stamp duty for a 2.3mil landed before you dream further.

Don't waste your time. Go do something more realistic.

I will invest the 100k in a good dividend yield stock... that can give me like 6 or 8k per year... then I will use this money to pay for a holiday for the kids and parents...

Sound quite laid back but the family will probably be happier... I hope

yowetan
09-04-12, 22:32

Could someone advise and enlighten me?

radha08's household income is around 10k. He has a HDB and renting a landed now.

Mine is around 7k with 2k rental income. I have a HDB flat and staying in it now.

However, when I aim for my 2nd property I recieved many cautious advices on getting one. But, I dun see the same for radha08.

Please enlighten me, what are the reasons for that disparity?

Lastly, I am 35 of age.

FH99
09-04-12, 22:35
Age differences?

ikan bilis
09-04-12, 22:40
don't know why also... umm... let me guess what people's answer will be....

"eating same type of rice does not mean will produce same type of IQ ??... and radha08 sounds smarter" ??..

:beats-me-man:

Akira Fudou
09-04-12, 22:41

radha08's household income is around 10k. He has a HDB and renting a landed now.

Mine is around 7k with 2k rental income. I have a HDB flat and staying in it now.

However, when I aim for my 2nd property I recieved many cautious advices on getting one. But, I dun see the same for radha08.

Lastly, I am 35 of age.

Probably he is holding more cash than you do.

yowetan
09-04-12, 22:41
don't know why also... umm... let me guess what people's answer will be....

"eating same type of rice does not mean will produce same type of IQ ??... and radha08 sounds smarter" ??..

:beats-me-man:

Thanks for implying I am less smart.

Rosy
09-04-12, 22:42

Lastly, I am 35 of age.

capital difference? Fully paid hdb?

Akira Fudou
09-04-12, 22:44
Those born in the early 80s already in the pool... cant afford to wait forever... we need to start our family.

ikan bilis
09-04-12, 22:47
Thanks for implying I am less smart.

no worry, you smarter than me.... :cheers4:

with hdb + condo + some junk properties, i own about S$2.5mil worth of real estate at current market value.... so you guess how much is my job income ??..

roly8
09-04-12, 22:51
Those born in the early 80s already in the pool... cant afford to wait forever... we need to start our family.

haha..you are right..
i am in this situation now.

jialat situation..:scared-2:

ikan bilis
09-04-12, 22:53
haha..you are right..
i am in this situation now.

jialat situation..:scared-2:

got 80K hdb mah, some more 40K 50% subsidy.... oops... sorry, you no qualify... your pay too high... :D

limfc
09-04-12, 22:57
i remember somebody reminded me that the garmen missed calculated the housing demand versus the population boom during 2005-2010 period...

that reminds me, that any garmen actions are naturally artificial intervention of the free market... so, actually when these artificial interventions is thrown in, my guess is sometimes, the smart folks behind the interventions also dunno how well it will work.... :tongue3:

so can the garmen prevent crash? my gut feel, quite unlikely... can the garmen help to make it crash? for sure it can, but doing so will not benefit them, why would anybody want to offend 88.6% of the population who are home owners? ermmm... unless by accident... hee.... :D

sorry, i go off topic, the social implications? more chaos and not a good sight to behold.... if i had a choice, i rather make less $$ than see more people fall... it's not really a nice scene... maybe that's why i'm still so poor.... :)

roly8
09-04-12, 23:04
got 80K hdb mah, some more 40K 50% subsidy.... oops... sorry, you no qualify... your pay too high... :D

haha..yea lor... income ceiling limit :tongue3::tongue3:

ikan bilis
09-04-12, 23:09

you so young still... if can afford... just go straight to EC lah... forget about bto... now got smaller 2bdr EC and low quantum... (last time never seen any 2br EC, may be only northoak has it)... :cheers4:

Oooiii.... your batch/generation could be luckier hor!!... :im-so-happy: :D

Rosy
09-04-12, 23:10
property correction is inevitable. Many homeowners are not discilplined enough to keep a comfortable buffer/safety net. Many rely solely on their active income to service their loans and things turn sour when they suffer a pay cut or retrenchment.

Akira Fudou
09-04-12, 23:12

over $12000? If location is not a problem, you should be able to afford any of OCR launches

hyenergix
09-04-12, 23:12
When taking such a big financial commitment, you must be prepared to fail. Don't fail to prepare for that!

roly8
09-04-12, 23:14
you so young still... if can afford... just go straight to EC lah... forget about bto... now got smaller 2bdr EC and low quantum... (last time never seen any 2br EC, may be only northoak has it)... :cheers4:

Oooiii.... your batch/generation could be luckier hor!!... :im-so-happy: :D

yea...BTO take 4-5 yr and doesn't include any furnish.. :mad:

maybe EC is an alternative choice for me now..:banghead:

Akira Fudou
09-04-12, 23:23
BTO around 3 years... not need 4-5 years

Rosy
09-04-12, 23:29

Are you married or getting married soon?

It is a good time to go for hdb bto. Plenty of choices.

Personally, EC is more suitable for those who exceed 10k income ceiling and also the 2nd timers who do not have to pay resale levy.

ikan bilis
09-04-12, 23:32

cheaper than my 5rm hdb..... advantage of about ~100-200K comparing to resale 2bdr pte condo.... :cheers4: :cheers5:

RIVERPARC RESIDENCE PUNGGOL DRIVE Executive Condominium 1 555,000 829 Strata 670 Jan-12
RIVERPARC RESIDENCE PUNGGOL DRIVE Executive Condominium 1 557,000 829 Strata 672 Dec-11
RIVERPARC RESIDENCE PUNGGOL DRIVE Executive Condominium 1 563,000 829 Strata 679 Nov-11
BELYSA PASIR RIS DRIVE 1 Executive Condominium 1 576,000 829 Strata 695 Sep-11
BELYSA PASIR RIS DRIVE 1 Executive Condominium 1 576,000 829 Strata 695 Jun-11
BELYSA PASIR RIS DRIVE 1 Executive Condominium 1 578,700 829 Strata 698 Sep-11
BLOSSOM RESIDENCES SEGAR ROAD Executive Condominium 1 578,000 753 Strata 767 Sep-11
BLOSSOM RESIDENCES SEGAR ROAD Executive Condominium 1 582,000 753 Strata 772 Sep-11
BLOSSOM RESIDENCES SEGAR ROAD Executive Condominium 1 582,980 753 Strata 774 Jan-12
THE RAINFOREST CHOA CHU KANG AVENUE 3 Executive Condominium 1 628,300 818 Strata 768 Feb-12
THE RAINFOREST CHOA CHU KANG AVENUE 3 Executive Condominium 1 638,000 818 Strata 780 Feb-12

yaozong7
09-04-12, 23:33

Lastly, I am 35 of age.

It's really a dangerous time to be looking at 2nd property for working class like us, esp with $450k HDB O/S loan. You will be lucky to hit 4% yield, and (minus 10% property tax on AV, maint fees, loan installment), your actual yearly profit is extremely low. Short-term capital upside is also limited. It may make sense if you are using CPF to service the condo loan, but in your case, you are not.

I think patience is warranted. Unlike you, I have long given up hopes of a freehold landed in SG. Just waiting for the crash now to scoop up some bargains....:D . Oh and FYI, I have many friends with household incomes comfortably above the EC threshold and they are on the sidelines too, scared to commit in the current bull run.

price
09-04-12, 23:56

Hey bro, we should be around the same age. I'm the late 1980s near 1990 batch :D:cheers5:

Sadly, i'm not getting married anytime soon. haha. IF i was, i'll get a small 3room HDB (assuming ur combined household income is <10k, you should be qualified for a matured estates' 3room BTO or Premium 3room BTO) clear the 5yrs MOP with ur wife, then start ur PC investments! by then, market should be more stable or prices corrected.

:D :cheers5:

hopeful
10-04-12, 00:20

you really want to know why? As one forummer say, radha sounds smarter leaving the part unsaid "whilest yowetan sound like a whiner" (my words).

But the real reason why people ask you to wait is: being a private condo (PC) owner is being part of an exclusive club. the more PC owners there are, the less exclusive the club of PC owners. Hence PC owners give plausible reasons to those sitting on sidelines not to be PC owners now, people like yourself.

If you really want to join the exclusive club of PC owners, by all means do so. Don't listen to those PC owners who discourage you from joining the PC owners' club. They are selfish, want to earn all the capital gains for themselves. Why should they share the profits with other people. The lesser the members of that exclusive club, the better. More capital gains for themselves.
In fact you only lose out by listening to their seemingly plausible advice.

Buy the condo of your dreams now. and in a few years time, you can earn millions in capital gains. Think of what you can do with that money. A well deserved holiday around the world with your family.
If you dont buy now, well another family will be travelling around the world while you :doh:.

lufu
10-04-12, 00:31
Buy the condo of your dreams now. and in a few years time, you can earn millions in capital gains. Think of what you can do with that money. A well deserved holiday around the world with your family.
If you dont buy now, well another family will be travelling around the world while you :doh:.

Really overly optimistic. No wonder we need another CM6

But for argument sake many said property at a peak now..
those who enter now are the kamikaze warriors...

What makes them so sure there is not another peak?
I am sure the same statement was made in 2010 and 2011. Considering the last correction in 2008/09 we're only 3/4 years into this new cycle.

Don't get me wrong I too thinks it's very high. Waiting on the sideline too for cheap buy but honestly I have a few other friends/colleagues who are also waiting on the sideline. Gosh this sideline is getting really crowded.

Sideliners, hold fast let no one cave in. :D

ikan bilis
10-04-12, 00:39
But the real reason why people ask you to wait is: being a private condo (PC) owner is being part of an exclusive club. the more PC owners there are, the less exclusive the club of PC owners. Hence PC owners give plausible reasons to those sitting on sidelines not to be PC owners now, people like yourself.

If you really want to join the exclusive club of PC owners, by all means do so. Don't listen to those PC owners who discourage you from joining the PC owners' club. They are selfish, want to earn all the capital gains for themselves. Why should they share the profits with other people. The lesser the members of that exclusive club, the better. More capital gains for themselves.

yeah!!... buy you a tiger beer later!!.... :cheers4: :cheers5:

hopeful
10-04-12, 00:51
Really overly optimistic. No wonder we need another CM6

But for argument sake many said property at a peak now..
those who enter now are the kamikaze warriors...

What makes them so sure there is not another peak?
I am sure the same statement was made in 2010 and 2011. Considering the last correction in 2008/09 we're only 3/4 years into this new cycle.

Don't get me wrong I too thinks it's very high. Waiting on the sideline too for cheap buy but honestly I have a few other friends/colleagues who are also waiting on the sideline. Gosh this sideline is getting really crowded.

Sideliners, hold fast let no one cave in. :D
Yowetan, you see, this is one of the naysayers. Does his advice seems reasonable and very plausible? Does it makes you doubt about getting a PC?

Guess what, if you put crabs in basket, there is no need to tie them up. Do you know why? Because the moment a crab starts climbing up to basket, the rest of the crabs will pull him down.

Are you that crab who is starting to climb up the basket? Are the naysayers trying to put fear and doubt into your heart, trying to pull you down to their level? are you going to give up, listening to craps?

if you do, you lose, they win. game over. you are already 35. Not many chances left.

fclim
10-04-12, 01:00
Yowetan, you see, this is one of the naysayers. Does his advice seems reasonable and very plausible? Does it makes you doubt about getting a PC?

Guess what, if you put crabs in basket, there is no need to tie them up. Do you know why? Because the moment a crab starts climbing up to basket, the rest of the crabs will pull him down.

Are you that crab who is starting to climb up the basket? Are the naysayers trying to put fear and doubt into your heart, trying to pull you down to their level? are you going to give up, listening to craps?

if you do, you lose, they win. game over. you are already 35. Not many chances left.

Ya, yowetan, please buy, please buy. Help every PC owner here to push up the PC price high high..:D :D

hopeful
10-04-12, 01:33
Ya, yowetan, please buy, please buy. Help every PC owner here to push up the PC price high high..:D :D
Yowetan, ignore the sarcastic tone and please make sure you do your sums properly. fclim is using a technique called reverse psychology to deter you.

I break ranks with my fellow club members and invite you to join the ultimately exclusive club of PC owners.
Why? Because I was like you once, until a kind property guru showed me the way and so now I am paying forward the debt I owed to the property guru.

I understand your fears. I was there once. Economy down, job loss, unable to service loan, home valuation underwater. The fears held me back. I was one of the faceless masses.
Have you ever wondered why you are 35 and earning only 7k family income?
Have you ever wondered why younger forummers are earning more than you and already club members?

The key is COURAGE. The rich and successful dont let their inner fears hold them back. The rich and successful don't listen to the masses, the same masses that try to pull them back into the fold. I will tell you this, it is not easy to take the first step, to stand out.

And don't over-analyse. The majority of people mistaken believes that analysis = action. Analysis won't get you a house. Only the action (of signing on the S&P) does.

Yowetan, will you become a lion or will you forever remain a mouse?

august
10-04-12, 01:41
you really want to know why? As one forummer say, radha sounds smarter leaving the part unsaid "whilest yowetan sound like a whiner" (my words).

u gave the game away when u said "being a private condo (PC) owner is being part of an exclusive club". :o

roly8
10-04-12, 01:48
yowetan is a troll .. you guys kena fool by him..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

Douk
10-04-12, 06:54
Many sidelines, but many will continue to sideline when price crashes.

hyenergix
10-04-12, 06:59

He is strange guy, but it is fine because he can assume another character or be another person in this virtual world.

lufu
10-04-12, 07:22
Many sidelines, but many will continue to sideline when price crashes.

someone made a statement to me the "kiasi" (risk adverse) buyer will never buy a private house and remain on the sideline indefinitely. They're typically your HDB owner who buys first hand from HDB. (It's like placing fixed deposit, guaranteed return in 5 years) that's the only property investment they know or had ventured in.

In a rising market, they are always waiting for a crash saying the end is near this is the highest peak

In a falling market, they will constantly think it hasn't bottom out yet. There are many more rooms for it to fall further

In a turning (falling to rising) they won't buy again because they could have got it cheaper yesterday

In a turning (rising to falling) they will be hoping for an even steeper fall to come and say to themselves this is just the beginning

and the cycle goes on repeating itself....

I do see myself in one of these at times.. :D
Do you?

chiaberry
10-04-12, 07:33
It's very difficult to time the market. As long as your investment horizon is relatively long term, you have to take the plunge some time. Especially for self-stay.

Douk
10-04-12, 07:34
Not just the kiasi. When economy crashes, everyone's sun and moon misaligned, jobs at risk, saving shrinks, all concerns arises. Property investment requires money and guts. While one need to save enough money, he also need to train up his guts. Down economy just make balls drop completely.

someone made a statement to me the "kiasi" (risk adverse) buyer will never buy a private house and remain on the sideline indefinitely. They're typically your HDB owner who buys first hand from HDB. (It's like placing fixed deposit, guaranteed return in 5 years) that's the only property investment they know or had ventured in.

In a rising market, they are always waiting for a crash saying the end is near this is the highest peak

In a falling market, they will constantly think it hasn't bottom out yet. There are many more rooms for it to fall further

In a turning (falling to rising) they won't buy again because they could have got it cheaper yesterday

In a turning (rising to falling) they will be hoping for an even steeper fall to come and say to themselves this is just the beginning

Do you?

kane
10-04-12, 08:37
Whilst we could be hoping for a crash, check out the data points coming out from the US. It looks like they are coming off an already very low base...

price
10-04-12, 08:43
Not just the kiasi. When economy crashes, everyone's sun and moon misaligned, jobs at risk, saving shrinks, all concerns arises. Property investment requires money and guts. While one need to save enough money, he also need to train up his guts. Down economy just make balls drop completely.

:D i like the way you phrase it !

stl67
10-04-12, 09:52

Do you?

this one sounds very familiar in my circles of friends, colleagues and even myself...:D

masterkey
10-04-12, 10:07

Do you?
Has anyone tried to use TA or some such techniques on the property market?

Well, unlike stocks, the real estate really has no fundamentals outside of supply/demand and the sub-regional price levels are total driven by market sentiments and manipulated by a few BBs. Yes there are parameters like proximity to MRT, famous schools, green areas, CBD etc but arguably these could be sentiments driven too. Remember a time when no developer thought much of residential projects in downtown Shenton Way, because the sentiments were not for it.

Condo Kaiser
10-04-12, 10:27

Well, unlike stocks, the real estate really has no fundamentals outside of supply/demand and the sub-regional price levels are total driven by market sentiments and manipulated by a few BBs. Yes there are parameters like proximity to MRT, famous schools, green areas, CBD etc but arguably these could be sentiments driven too. Remember a time when no developer thought much of residential projects in downtown Shenton Way, because the sentiments were not for it.

So what is your point?

TA doesnt make sense for porperty at all.... There is too little uniformity in the property market for any graph to make TA valid... Every project is unique, even different units in the same project are different.

TA only makes sense when the products are homogeneous...

radha08
10-04-12, 10:30

Lastly, I am 35 of age.

i was once 35...at that time only had 1 hdb....monthly instalment $400 plus and that time i earn about 2k a month...now a good 10 years later that small investment in my 4rm flat has matured...many times i knock my head saying that i could have been a multi millionare if i had sold my hdb then and bought landed etc etc...so i also had my frustration:(

but even if i CRY until NO tears:scared-3:....OVER IS OVER...no point regret.

bottomline i was born earlier...so maybe i got slightly better foothold in the mkt...funnily a few days ago i was talking to one of my neighbour also a normal working JOE he told me he bought his semi-D in 1986...today he can OFFLOAD and easily retire...so like i said before run your own race bro...i also waiting to HOOT 1 pc or HOPEFULLY landed...but NOT now every weekend i go see showflat i see the crowd all cheong to buy...i can only think of what Mr Warren Buffet always say...

Be fearful when others are GREEDY and GREEDY when others are fearful...:D

in the meantime for the feel good factor while waiting for durian to drop maybe can change your nick to yowetan08.....08 for prosperity..:D:D:D

gn108
10-04-12, 10:31
Oh bro, you got it.
Can't believe the others are taken in for so long...

Rosy
10-04-12, 10:34
but NOT now every weekend i go see showflat i see the crowd all cheong to buy...i can only think of what Mr Warren Buffet always say...

I do not think this is a good indication.

CCR showflats are very empty and some are closed and viewing is strictly by appointment and you know the reason.

Caspian was launched in a midst of a recession and the turnout during the preview shows otherwise.

radha08
10-04-12, 10:35
So what is your point?

TA doesnt make sense for porperty at all.... There is too little uniformity in the property market for any graph to make TA valid... Every project is unique, even different units in the same project are different.

in singapore property market u need a few index...

cheong INDEX...more people cheong to buy index go up:D

que INDEX....Longer the que to buy higher the index:D

GURU index....the more the no of property for sale the higher the index:D

TA wont work...when it comes to property...how would they derive a breakout from a bollinger squeeze:D(i studied TA until i also blur blur play share still loose $$):doh:

radha08
10-04-12, 10:36
Oh bro, you got it.
now he is yowetan08...:D

Rosy
10-04-12, 10:37
TA wont work...when it comes to property...how would they derive a breakout from a bollinger squeeze:D(i studied TA until i also blur blur play share still loose $$):doh:

If we apply TA on properties, we should be buying watertown at punggol when it break the record high psf.

roly8
10-04-12, 10:38
Oh bro, you got it.

i thought his question is genuine until at a point he keep repeat the same question over & over again in multiple threads...

i was once 35...at that time only had 1 hdb....monthly instalment $400 plus and that time i earn about 2k a month...now a good 10 years later that small investment in my 4rm flat has matured...many times i knock my head saying that i could have been a multi millionare if i had sold my hdb then and bought landed etc etc...so i also had my frustration:(

but even if i CRY until NO tears:scared-3:....OVER IS OVER...no point regret.

bottomline i was born earlier...so maybe i got slightly better foothold in the mkt...funnily a few days ago i was talking to one of my neighbour also a normal working JOE he told me he bought his semi-D in 1986...today he can OFFLOAD and easily retire...so like i said before run your own race bro...i also waiting to HOOT 1 pc or HOPEFULLY landed...but NOT now every weekend i go see showflat i see the crowd all cheong to buy...i can only think of what Mr Warren Buffet always say...

in the meantime for the feel good factor while waiting for durian to drop maybe can change your nick to yowetan08.....08 for prosperity..:D:D:D

thx for sharing your exp. :D

i think stocks are the 'leading indicator' ..

Do you?

hahaha..very nice post. agree with you.

radha08
10-04-12, 10:39
I do not think this is a good indication.

CCR showflats are very empty and some are closed and viewing is strictly by appointment and you know the reason.

Caspian was launched in a midst of a recession and the turnout during the preview shows otherwise.

frankly i also believe warren buffet is a bullshiter...if i had billions of dollars i could say whatever rubbish i wanted and the whole world would listen...ha ha:D

eng81157
10-04-12, 10:40

completely agree with you. some of my friends were pouring buckets of cold water when i took the plunge in Jun 09. 9 months down the road when we met for coffee, they were complaining about missing the boat.

tcss behind a keyboard is easy and probably with lots of hindsight, whereas investing is the other end of the spectrum

radha08
10-04-12, 10:42
If we apply TA on properties, we should be buying watertown at punggol when it break the record high psf.

punggol is like tampines 10 years plus ago..thats what one of our million dollar MPs said...:cool:

ysyap
10-04-12, 10:43

Lastly, I am 35 of age.Not sure if the disparity is as follows... correct me if I'm mistaken...

Radha08 has total $10k + HDB rental = about $12k income.

Yowetan has total about $9k income (include rental)

People cautioned yowetan on entering market NOW. People also cautioned Radha08 on entering market NOW... its the same thing...

Radha08 is waiting waiting so no need to tell him further... but yowetan appears to want to enter market now so people tell yowetan to wait wait lor...

Actually no disparity lah... :cheers4:

eng81157
10-04-12, 10:46
frankly i also believe warren buffet is a bullshiter...if i had billions of dollars i could say whatever rubbish i wanted and the whole world would listen...ha ha:D

then what about jim rogers?

eng81157
10-04-12, 10:48
punggol is like tampines 10 years plus ago..thats what one of our million dollar MPs said...:cool:

ah please, i still remember that sengkang and punggol was touted to be the next big thing when i first bought my HDB eons ago. fast forward till now, punggol is still "in-development" as the next big thing.

radha08
10-04-12, 10:49
completely agree with you. some of my friends were pouring buckets of cold water when i took the plunge in Jun 09. 9 months down the road when we met for coffee, they were complaining about missing the boat.

tcss behind a keyboard is easy and probably with lots of hindsight, whereas investing is the other end of the spectrum

i hope you paid for their coffee...:D

chiaberry
10-04-12, 10:50
now he is yowetan08...:D

Maybe his alter ego is radha08. :D

masterkey
10-04-12, 10:50
So what is your point?

Not to get too technical but read it in the context of a response to bro lufu's post. There seems to be a overwhelming emotional/sentiments factor in the property market ups and downs. So if the real gurus with knowledge of techniques that models the mass sentiments of property buyers in Singapore .... well enough to estimate the troughs and peaks will be a great help.

radha08
10-04-12, 10:51
Not sure if the disparity is as follows... correct me if I'm mistaken...

Radha08 has total $10k + HDB rental = about $12k income.

Yowetan has total about $9k income (include rental)

People cautioned yowetan on entering market NOW. People also cautioned Radha08 on entering market NOW... its the same thing...

Radha08 is waiting waiting so no need to tell him further... but yowetan appears to want to enter market now so people tell yowetan to wait wait lor...

Actually no disparity lah... :cheers4:

lastly yowetan is a troll(NOT i say ha)..:D

radha08 is a clown...:D

masterkey
10-04-12, 10:54
in singapore property market u need a few index...

cheong INDEX...more people cheong to buy index go up:D

que INDEX....Longer the que to buy higher the index:D

GURU index....the more the no of property for sale the higher the index:D

Precisely, you got my point. Aren't all these indices, cheong queue guru... reflective on the market buyers' sentiments?

Rosy
10-04-12, 10:59

And yet property prices in punggol had surpassed Tampines.

radha08
10-04-12, 11:00
And yet property prices in punggol had surpassed Tampines.

thats why we got million dollar mps...:spliff:

radha08
10-04-12, 11:03
Precisely, you got my point. Aren't all these indices, cheong queue guru... reflective on the market buyers' sentiments?

a few years ago i paid 2k plus to join chartnexus...they taught me i learnt did i make money...NO not because of charting but because of my own EMOTIONS/sentiments...so if you could derive something to help people in that area...wah that would be great:cool:

Rosegarden
10-04-12, 11:06

From your source, troll has "intent of provoking readers into an emotional (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion) response[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29#cite_note-PCMAG_def-2) or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29#cite_note-IUKB_def-3)

Don't think chaos is his objective. The person behind these posts has definite objectives in mind.

I like bro hopeful's style in responding to him....:)

Condo Kaiser
10-04-12, 11:48
Not to get too technical but read it in the context of a response to bro lufu's post. There seems to be a overwhelming emotional/sentiments factor in the property market ups and downs. So if the real gurus with knowledge of techniques that models the mass sentiments of property buyers in Singapore .... well enough to estimate the troughs and peaks will be a great help.

Agree with you that property investment are greatly driven by sentiments (isnt all investment??)

But what makes property hard to chart and trend is the huge differences each project holds... we have an index of transacted prices, but that will hardly help you make that purchase/sale decision for a specific project. Too many factors affect the value of properties. How are we ever going to apply the Bollinger Band or the MCAD or the 100 day moving average or fibonacci dispersion into property prices???

you can do that for stocks or fx or commodities etc because the uniformity of the product it charts.. on the USD/EUR chart, all information relates to USD/EUR and all market participants are buying the same USE/EUR fx pair so the data is relevant to them and thus TA applies to them...

Bottom line - property charts can help u see whether we are in an upmarket or down market. (with great delays in timing) but never for any specific project.

Xan
10-04-12, 20:16
Agree with you that property investment are greatly driven by sentiments (isnt all investment??)

But what makes property hard to chart and trend is the huge differences each project holds... we have an index of transacted prices, but that will hardly help you make that purchase/sale decision for a specific project. Too many factors affect the value of properties. How are we ever going to apply the Bollinger Band or the MCAD or the 100 day moving average or fibonacci dispersion into property prices???

you can do that for stocks or fx or commodities etc because the uniformity of the product it charts.. on the USD/EUR chart, all information relates to USD/EUR and all market participants are buying the same USE/EUR fx pair so the data is relevant to them and thus TA applies to them...

Bottom line - property charts can help u see whether we are in an upmarket or down market. (with great delays in timing) but never for any specific project.

Great insight!
Many just look at the trend, but fails to understand that many factors are actually governing the potential of a specific project.