View Full Version : Condo guard jailed for molesting resident

reporter2
03-05-12, 16:25
http://www.straitstimes.com/Singapore/Story/STIStory_792732.html

Condo guard jailed for molesting resident

He was drunk when he outraged the modesty of Japanese woman

Published on Apr 26, 2012

By Khushwant Singh

A CONDOMINIUM security guard with a long rap-sheet was jailed yesterday for outraging the modesty of a female resident while drunk on the job.

Singaraja Rasiah, 61, was sentenced to a year and two months in jail. He could have been sentenced to up to two years in jail, fined or caned, or to any combination of these penalties.

The court heard that the guard had started work at the Kentish Green Condominium in Little India in 2010.

On Feb 10 last year, the resident had returned to the condo at 7pm and greeted Singaraja as she passed the guardhouse.

About 40 minutes later, he went to her apartment and rang the doorbell.

The Japanese woman, a kindergarten teacher, saw that it was Singaraja and opened the door.

He spoke in English and asked her how her husband was and where he was at that moment.

Her poor English meant she was unable to fully understand him and thought her husband, a sales executive, was ill and at home. She opened the door to the master bedroom to check but there was no sight of him.

It was then that Singaraja pulled her towards him and stroked her crotch.

She screamed and pushed him out of the room and apartment, before calling her husband, who then notified police.

Singaraja was placed under arrest and as he appeared intoxicated, he was sent for a blood test. It revealed a blood alcohol level of 114mg per 100ml, above the drink-driving limit of 80mg.

He was also sacked from his job.

The court heard that Singaraja and the couple had been on friendly terms before the incident.

The couple had visited Singaraja's home on Deepavali in 2010, and had even praised his work performance to the condominium's management.

Singaraja, who is married with three grown children, had been jailed for theft and housebreaking in 1972, 1978 and 1990. He also committed criminal intimidation in 1998 and employed an illegal worker in 2001.

Defence lawyer Rajan Supramaniam tried to argue that probation would be appropriate in view of his client's long history of psychiatric disorders associated with alcoholism.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Ramu Miyapan, however, argued for a jail term of not less than 18 months.

He said the victim had been very traumatised by the incident and was unable to continue working here and had to resign from her job.

The couple have returned to Japan.

Responding to queries on whether a person with such convictions could become a security officer, a police spokesman said that both the gravity of the previous offence and the amount of time a person has remained 'clean' are taken into account.

The Police Licensing & Regulatory Department, which does the security screening of potential officers, takes into account a person's previous criminal record, in assessing his suitability for a security officer licence, she added.

[email protected]

Additional reporting by Jalelah Abu Baker

richwang
19-06-12, 20:48
Imagine, if you read this news from Japan, will you still allow your daughter to come to Singapore.

or

Imagine, if we read something in Bayou from here, will you buy Bayou (Iskankar) projects.

Thanks,
Richard

Komo
19-06-12, 20:53
... many locals do avoid little india...:D

hopeful
19-06-12, 22:54
Imagine, if you read this news from Japan, will you still allow your daughter to come to Singapore.

or

Imagine, if we read something in Bayou from here, will you buy Bayou (Iskankar) projects.

Thanks,
Richard

i dont understand why the japanese woman overreact.
she dont take trains in japan?
i heard there is a lot of unwanted groping in trains in japan.

so if i am jap parent, ya still allow my daughter to come to singapore, but definitely forbid her to take taxi at 3 am in the morning.

richwang
22-06-12, 20:53
During rush hours, there are dedicated cars for ladies in Japan trains.

I was once accidentally entered into the car, it was nicely pink renovated. When I started to read those words and guessed I was in the wrong car, it was very embarrassing. Luckily my Japanese friends told me it was not peak hour, so it was open to all.

Thanks,
Richard

radha08
23-06-12, 01:23
Richard

japan got earthquake...singapore got :doh::scared-3::(:hell-hath-no-fury:....so whats Worse

radha08
23-06-12, 01:25
During rush hours, there are dedicated cars for ladies in Japan trains.

I was once accidentally entered into the car, it was nicely pink renovated. When I started to read those words and guessed I was in the wrong car, it was very embarrassing. Luckily my Japanese friends told me it was not peak hour, so it was open to all.

Thanks,
Richard

wah lan....and to think the japanese make the best cars...honda/toyota...:doh:

Rysk
23-06-12, 22:45

or

Thanks,
Richard
Still ok to go S'pore.. But not Bayou..:D

Rysk
23-06-12, 22:57

Thanks,
Richard
A Japanese still much preferred to come S'pore than Johor... Spore is 2 cases media reported 1.. Johor is 10 cases only reported 1.. Not I say.. My M'sian fren told me..:D