PDA

View Full Version : Are top floor units usually hot?

mm63
12-05-12, 22:29
Hi, I have been advised to avoid top floor units because there is a risk of leaking over time and they can get hot due to the noon sun "cooking" the roof. Any comments on this?

I am considering a top floor unit for own stay........

flagship74
12-05-12, 22:31
Hi, I have been advised to avoid top floor units because there is a risk of leaking over time and they can get hot due to the noon sun "cooking" the roof. Any comments on this?

Dun buy top floor cos what you have said it is really true..;)

property_finder
12-05-12, 22:32
Could be worse if it is also west facing.

wind30
12-05-12, 22:38
But no noisy neighbours upstairs. I used to have a family with kids living upstairs and it was very noisy.

kane
12-05-12, 22:48
Are those penthouses on the 30-40th floor hot as well?

zeamybro
12-05-12, 23:15
I have the same query as you before, asked some agents, and they use the analogy of wearing a hat. If you have someone 'on top' of you to block the sun, its always cooler ... But personally i think having nearby tall buildings is a more effective way of shielding from the sun, just imagine if you are a lone block under the full impact of the sun :)

Kanarazu
12-05-12, 23:21

High ceiling or roofing may be able to mitigate some of the heat concerns. E.g. Some hdb flats in bishan or potong pasir have those angled roof that sets a generous gap between the actual roof and the ceiling of the unit.

House
12-05-12, 23:38
whole house will be "HEAT sterilized" + kills all the germs on you when return home from work/biz.:D

price
12-05-12, 23:42
Could be worse if it is also west facing.
Top floor i heard don't need to see facing. Any facing is the same. all hot.

price
12-05-12, 23:43
High ceiling or roofing may be able to mitigate some of the heat concerns. E.g. Some hdb flats in bishan or potong pasir have those angled roof that sets a generous gap between the actual roof and the ceiling of the unit.
wow, was that the reason why they built all these slanted HDB blocks in the past?

buttercarp
12-05-12, 23:49
No difference if you stay in aircon room all day long.

carbuncle
13-05-12, 00:06
Most modern projects are designed with curved or slant steel sheets roofing to ease overheating for top floor units. If it makes a difference in view between top and floor below, then get it. Else floor below top is best choice.

kane
13-05-12, 00:07
Most modern projects are designed with curved or slant steel sheets roofing to ease overheating for top floor units.

Not for penthouses.

property_finder
13-05-12, 02:42
No difference if you stay in aircon room all day long.

Once, I visited an MM showflat around 3pm and it was built west facing. The developer used overlapping blinds but the agents somehow forgot to turn the blinds to block out light. Thus I did the favor and it felt very warm just to stand near the window, even with blinds turned and aircon on.

I checked before leaving at 6pm and it was still very warm near the window area. West sun is no joke....especially for MMs.

DC33_2008
13-05-12, 07:13
Those are pitched roof meant to hide water tank, keep top roof unit cooled & reduce risk of water leakage.
wow, was that the reason why they built all these slanted HDB blocks in the past?

DC33_2008
13-05-12, 07:16
Those are radiant heat. Less from wall than window in the day. But wall west facing wall will absorb them & radiant them at night to room.
Once, I visited an MM showflat around 3pm and it was built west facing. The developer used overlapping blinds but the agents somehow forgot to turn the blinds to block out light. Thus I did the favor and it felt very warm just to stand near the window, even with blinds turned and aircon on.

I checked before leaving at 6pm and it was still very warm near the window area. West sun is no joke....especially for MMs.

ahsoh88
13-05-12, 08:11
Very true, my family is currently staying in top floor of condo, the whole
unit is hot like an oven, even with 2 ceiling fans on (whole day) !

DC33_2008
13-05-12, 08:18
Try exploring exhaust fan at top if you can install one as hot air rises. Having ceiling is no good as you are pushing warm air now.

Komo
13-05-12, 08:41
have to on aircon as well to cool the air but cool at low fan mode. let the ceiling fan circulate the air:D

DC33_2008
13-05-12, 08:51
have to on aircon as well to cool the air but cool at low fan mode. let the ceiling fan circulate the air:D
An expensive affair. Usually buys 2nd top most floors of development.:)

Kanarazu
13-05-12, 09:29
Those are radiant heat. Less from wall than window in the day. But wall west facing wall will absorb them & radiant them at night to room.

Which is worse then for radiant heat, window or wall? Do different types of wall matter i.e. brick or prefab wall? I find my west facing prefab wall are ok perhaps because of the windy conditions outside taking away the heat.

CondoInterested
13-05-12, 09:31
For newer HDBs (those build starting about 10 years ago) already have shielding on the roof who cuts out heat quite effectively.

PC, not sure, but it depends on how honest the developer is.

West Sun, die die must avoid. Not only just West Sun to Windows, but also to Walls. In fact wall one is worst, no way to block when the heat start to be release from the wall at night. If really like the unit so much, then windows, you can try those sun screen (remember don't get the lousy cheap ones), the good ones can shield off above 90% of the sun but it comes with a price tag and also your wish to balance the % and the brightness / darkness in the room. Curtain can also serve as a secondary shield.

For top floor, the worst enemy is the building skill no good, leaking of water during raining days comes in, this is the nightmare.

roly8
13-05-12, 09:59
An expensive affair. Usually buys 2nd top most floors of development.:)

me staying in this level... hehehe
:D:D:D

pinkpolkadot
13-05-12, 10:22
Are there people who bought a unit and then realise (shockingly!!!) that it is West facing? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

roly8
13-05-12, 10:23
Are there people who bought a unit and then realise (shockingly!!!) that it is West facing? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

never verify the site plan & other details properly is it?:scared-4:

pinkpolkadot
13-05-12, 10:25
never verify the site plan & other details properly is it?:scared-4:

Just wonder whether there are such buyers?

chiaberry
13-05-12, 10:28

Ang mo buyers possibly. Who are so excited about having SUN in their lives that they underestimate the power of the equatorial sun. (they don't see the sun much in certain countries....so the thought of having sun is very fantastic to them......notwithstanding that their skin type is prone to skin cancer......)

roly8
13-05-12, 10:31

maybe they are unaware that west side facing's sun is the hottest..:o

pinkpolkadot
13-05-12, 10:35
maybe they are unaware that west side facing's sun is the hottest..:o

That is rule #1 for buying a property....

DC33_2008
13-05-12, 11:05
Diffused solar radiation is a lot more than direct radiation as it is cloudy most of the time in singapore. Glass is worst than wait in heat transfer characteristic. Glass allows short wave radiation into the room and it becomes long wave radiation that is trapped in the apt. Just like greenhouse effect. Better no to have too much glass facing the west facade. Wall will be preferred with better heat resistance characteristic.
Which is worse then for radiant heat, window or wall? Do different types of wall matter i.e. brick or prefab wall? I find my west facing prefab wall are ok perhaps because of the windy conditions outside taking away the heat.

silver023
13-05-12, 11:15
I guess it really depends on whether that top floor unit gets west sun? I have the morning sun only and don't feel particularly hot.

Also, I guess if the penthouse unit is huge and airy enough, then it will also play a part in how cool you feel...:2cents:

mkl22
13-05-12, 11:31
I have a wall that is west facing. But I detect no difference in heat on the inside even after a whole day of sun shining on it. I suspect it is a double layer wall. The exterior white paint also helps some. Was worried when I bought the unit, but after so long I still cannot detect any heat radiating from the wall. The interior wall is cool to touch. So it depends on how the wall is constructed.

alamak
13-05-12, 11:37
No issue. Also depend on who's the developer, possibly the main contractor and the design of the building structure.

I stay at the top of PC. Depend on what on the roof top, double layer roofing or water tank or depend on features. That's why it is always important to view the model at show flat.

mkl22
13-05-12, 11:38
I saw a unit at park east with dOuble glazed windows all round. Suspect it was installed due to heat from sun.NoT for sound as there was no traffic or kids playground. But the house was north facing so you only get some sun at an angle from march till oct. I guess the main reason for the heat was because it was on the top floor of a 6 storey block. The heat from the roof is for sure more than from the windows.

Kanarazu
13-05-12, 12:01
I guess it really depends on whether that top floor unit gets west sun? I have the morning sun only and don't feel particularly hot.

Also, I guess if the penthouse unit is huge and airy enough, then it will also play a part in how cool you feel...:2cents:

I guess external wind conditions and internal air flow ventilation plays a part too.

Kanarazu
13-05-12, 12:06
I have a wall that is west facing. But I detect no difference in heat on the inside even after a whole day of sun shining on it. I suspect it is a double layer wall. The exterior white paint also helps some. Was worried when I bought the unit, but after so long I still cannot detect any heat radiating from the wall. The interior wall is cool to touch. So it depends on how the wall is constructed.

Mine is just typical prefab wall, nothing unusual about its thickness. Made of granite rocks cemented on a steel frame. Cool to touch whole day. I suspect it's the brick wall that radiates heat, maybe someone here can confirm.

Kanarazu
13-05-12, 12:11
I saw a unit at park east with dOuble glazed windows all round. Suspect it was installed due to heat from sun.NoT for sound as there was no traffic or kids playground. But the house was north facing so you only get some sun at an angle from march till oct. I guess the main reason for the heat was because it was on the top floor of a 6 storey block. The heat from the roof is for sure more than from the windows.

Thomson Grand has double glazed windows and wooden screens at the balcony area. I thought the design was really good for mitigating solar heat considering most units there are EW facing.

ccsee
13-05-12, 12:21
the same theory applies to all landed property as well?

roly8
13-05-12, 13:11
the same theory applies to all landed property as well?
yes. :o

august
13-05-12, 13:18
Are those penthouses on the 30-40th floor hot as well?

not at all, very windy and cooling, don't even need to on aircon.

carbuncle
13-05-12, 13:19
Ang mo buyers possibly. Who are so excited about having SUN in their lives that they underestimate the power of the equatorial sun. (they don't see the sun much in certain countries....so the thought of having sun is very fantastic to them......notwithstanding that their skin type is prone to skin cancer......)
Absolutely love to see them killing themselves baking in the super hot direct noon sun...

Kanarazu
13-05-12, 13:55
Absolutely love to see them killing themselves baking in the super hot direct noon sun...

That's why we call them 陽人。

carbuncle
13-05-12, 14:12
That's why we call them 陽人。
Ya soon will be 痒人 once the skin cancer starts coming... Always like your cheenapuns.

mm63
13-05-12, 16:14
Thanks for all the feedback. West facing is not an issue in this case.

Would like to hear more from people actually staying in top floor units........

irisng
13-05-12, 19:34

How about if the west sun is shined on the balcony and aircon ledge without reaching the living room or bedroom, will it be still so hot?

irisng
13-05-12, 19:40

I'm sure there are buyers who don't bother about the facing or even ignorant about it, as long as they like the unit, they will buy, otherwise all west facing unit or sites will become an abundant land.:D

irisng
13-05-12, 19:53
Thanks for all the feedback. West facing is not an issue in this case.

Would like to hear more from people actually staying in top floor units........

Not sure about the condo. My colleague stayed on the top floor of about >20 years old HDB flat. Just heard from her the other day that she called HDB to complain about lots of mosquitoes at her house. They suspected that the mosquitoes came from the rain water accumulated at the roof top.

DC33_2008
13-05-12, 22:24
Ignorant and/or cost constraints:o .
I'm sure there are buyers who don't bother about the facing or even ignorant about it, as long as they like the unit, they will buy, otherwise all west facing unit or sites will become an abundant land.:D

sh
13-05-12, 22:46

If am a party animal or always work late, come home everyday past midnight, but sleep until late morning. Who cares about afternoon sun? As long as morning sun doesn't come in... That great!:D

amk
13-05-12, 23:01
I have stayed in PH units for many years. No it's not particularly hotter. Just make sure the rooms upstairs do not face west sun.
Nowadays the roofing is made with a large buffer under to serve as buffer and heat insulation. I dun see why a east facing room at the top can be hotter than one floor below. In the old days ppl worry about leak on top floors. Now for new buildings especially properly built condos this should not be an issue.
West sun facing is a far more serious problem.

Wild Falcon
13-05-12, 23:24
My experience is top floor is hot - for the same development, u can feel the top floor is hotter than the rest of the units. Just view a few units and see if there is any difference. But I guess if u turn aircon all the time, it makes no difference. I used to stay in a top floor east facing unit. It is a nightmare. Morning the east sun streams in and heat is trapped for the rest of the day.

Ever since then, I prefer west sun to east sun. Seriously. I'm hardly at home when the west sun is in. But I hate it when the sun comes in in the morning when I'm having leisurely breakfast at the balcony. To each his own. You have to figure out your own preference. And just install curtains lah. Better than buy no sun but face opposite block which means curtains must be close at all times right? And penthouse has its benefits lah. If like, just buy. Imagine those people who stay in bungalow and landed. North south east west also face but they survive right?

mantrix
13-05-12, 23:34
My experience is top floor is hot - for the same development, u can feel the top floor is hotter than the rest of the units. Just view a few units and see if there is any difference. But I guess if u turn aircon all the time, it makes no difference. I used to stay in a top floor east facing unit. It is a nightmare. Morning the east sun streams in and heat is trapped for the rest of the day.

Ever since then, I prefer west sun to east sun. Seriously. I'm hardly at home when the west sun is in. But I hate it when the sun comes in in the morning when I'm having leisurely breakfast at the balcony. To each his own. You have to figure out your own preference. And just install curtains lah. Better than buy no sun but face opposite block which means curtains must be close at all times right? And penthouse has its benefits lah. If like, just buy. Imagine those people who stay in bungalow and landed. North south east west also face but they survive right?

i used to stay in a PH unit too. Yes it is hotter, period. If it is a duplex, you may think your lower floor gets blocked from the scorching sun on your terrace but no, the heat filters down. Nowadays my preferred units are high floors BUT not the topmost floor. In Singapore this is no joke, especially during the dry months. PH is only good if must absolutely have no noise from upstairs.

heehee
13-05-12, 23:50
If you want to avoid morning sun, just get a curtain that can shield off all sun-light! Cheap and easy! However, there is nothing to shield off the west sun heat, not even air-con as the west facing wall will be baked super hot (when you touch it) even with air-con on! At night, the heat will continue to dissipate even when the sun has long set. :(
If you are a "green" person or want to save money on air-con or can't stand air-con all-day long or can't sleep well with air-con on etc, don't buy west-sun unit. :p

If am a party animal or always work late, come home everyday past midnight, but sleep until late morning. Who cares about afternoon sun? As long as morning sun doesn't come in... That great!:D

buttercarp
13-05-12, 23:55
I have stayed in top floors for many years. I do not know if there is difference cos how do you tell unless you go to your neighbor's house and compare. It has been tolerable especially my unit is very windy.

Wild Falcon
14-05-12, 00:19
I think if you like the unit, just buy. Singapore is hot anyway. And to be honest, landed is the hottest (roof, east and west all kena) and yet so many Singaporeans aspire to live in one. And if you ask around, those who are very fussy about facing are the ones who grew up in HDB flats or apartments facing one direction only. Imagine u grew up in a bungalow or semi-D or a single-loading apartment, chances of one wall facing the west is very high. Yet, people live through it and never complain right? Like my mum always say, if u wanna buy landed, sure got roof and one wall face the west one mah - so what's the fuss? Penthouse units are also rare - so if u miss the chance, another chance may never come.

Kanarazu
14-05-12, 07:16
Http://weatherspark.com/averages/34047/5/14/Singapore

This website shows the Average temperature of any day in the year using historical data from past 27 years. You can select dashboard view for more details in temp and direction. Guess you can draw own conclusions from there. Wind speed seems to have a direct correlation to temperature which is important to take note

irisng
14-05-12, 09:04

Ya, so east sun actually also not so good leh, wake you up in the early morning when sometimes you need to sleep longer especially during the weekends.

During weekdays on my way to work, pass by some of the condos along Orchard Road, saw the morning sun shinning so "fiercely" at some of the whole block of the building. ;)

Kelonguni
14-05-12, 09:26
I used to stay low floor, west facing apartment, now at top floor east facing apartment.

I think overall not much difference in heat, but it's true that you need good, thick curtains for east facing apartments.

My neighbor who is west facing says the afternoon onwards is hot, but for me, afternoon naps in my apartment are great!

Also, FYI, my current block is super windy and unblocked all around.

So my conclusion is as long as the builder of your apartment of interest has factored in the problem of heat in the design, plus the windows do not allow the entry of heat (because that is the main avenue for heat entry) into a house, it is unlikely to get very hot just because one is at the top floor.

Also, if you strongly believe that the ceiling is hot, the other observation for your consideration will be to use false ceiling to have a small gap below the actual ceiling. That will definitely trap any remnants of heat.

Personally, I prefer being on top floor.

insigina
14-05-12, 10:02
I think if you like the unit, just buy. Singapore is hot anyway. And to be honest, landed is the hottest (roof, east and west all kena) and yet so many Singaporeans aspire to live in one. And if you ask around, those who are very fussy about facing are the ones who grew up in HDB flats or apartments facing one direction only. Imagine u grew up in a bungalow or semi-D or a single-loading apartment, chances of one wall facing the west is very high. Yet, people live through it and never complain right? Like my mum always say, if u wanna buy landed, sure got roof and one wall face the west one mah - so what's the fuss? Penthouse units are also rare - so if u miss the chance, another chance may never come.

Although landed will get hit by sun in all directions, the roofing (tiles and big gap between it and ceiling board) will not cause the house to be hot. A ceiling fan is also very important.

DC33_2008
14-05-12, 10:08
Wind speed in Singapore is relatively lower and erratic between 0 & 3m/s because of the small land mass. The uneven heating of large land mass brings about pressure difference for air to move from h to low pressure where the wind will move.
Http://weatherspark.com/averages/34047/5/14/Singapore

This website shows the Average temperature of any day in the year using historical data from past 27 years. You can select dashboard view for more details in temp and direction. Guess you can draw own conclusions from there. Wind speed seems to have a direct correlation to temperature which is important to take note

DC33_2008
14-05-12, 10:12
You are referring to thermal comfort but the air temperature is still relatvely warmer in such houses as compared to spaces at the lower floor. You feel more comfortable due to the higher movement in a warm & humid environment to enhance more cooling from your body by sensible cooling and some perspiration.
Although landed will get hit by sun in all directions, the roofing (tiles and big gap between it and ceiling board) will not cause the house to be hot. A ceiling fan is also very important.

Wild Falcon
14-05-12, 10:31
It's relative right? So the dicussion is relative to a mid-floor condo with latest "corridor" design and facing only one direction with no sun, the landed is usually hotter. It's true. You can get 2 walls/windows/glass (both east and west) hitting the sun, and the heat from the roof and the ground. That's why nowadays even those corner terrace install swimming pool becos it has a cooling effect. Having said that, it hasn't stopped people from buying landed. It's just one disadvantage compared to numerous other advantages.

fooblack
14-05-12, 16:06
I have stayed in PH units for many years. No it's not particularly hotter. Just make sure the rooms upstairs do not face west sun.
Nowadays the roofing is made with a large buffer under to serve as buffer and heat insulation. I dun see why a east facing room at the top can be hotter than one floor below. In the old days ppl worry about leak on top floors. Now for new buildings especially properly built condos this should not be an issue.
West sun facing is a far more serious problem.

currently staying top floor. 17th floor to be precise.

most of the time, while it may be true that there is some heat from the ceiling, it is also offset by the increased ventilation since on a high floor.

the heat from the ceiling in my experience, is only noticeable on the extreme hot months bet may and jul. Otherwise, one wont even notice it. I think this is attributed to the fact that the rain generally dry up and the winds stopped during these months..

the best part of top floor is no sound from the upper level and if there is any leaking, it is always easier for the condo mgmt to compensate haha

DC33_2008
14-05-12, 16:13
But u always compensate to the unit below u.

most of the time, while it may be true that there is some heat from the ceiling, it is also offset by the increased ventilation since on a high floor.

the heat from the ceiling in my experience, is only noticeable on the extreme hot months bet may and jul. Otherwise, one wont even notice it. I think this is attributed to the fact that the rain generally dry up and the winds stopped during these months..

the best part of top floor is no sound from the upper level and if there is any leaking, it is always easier for the condo mgmt to compensate haha

fooblack
14-05-12, 16:37
But u always compensate to the unit below u.

not necessary. depends on the mgmt rules.

for HDB, it is a norm. not necessary for condos.. my experience

DC33_2008
14-05-12, 17:30
But how to prove that it is the fault below. It is just like a rear kiss of two cars in a collision.

Kanarazu
14-05-12, 17:53
But how to prove that it is the fault below. It is just like a rear kiss of two cars in a collision.

Quite unlikely downstairs would be at fault unless they are renovating near the ceiling, eg install false ceiling, hacking wall tiles or ceiling light. Hard to prove, maybe there is record of renovation work done with the condo management?

DC33_2008
14-05-12, 18:06
In fact, once the resident said that there is a water leaking from my master bedroom bathroom floor. I gone down to her unit and found that the leak is from the joints of the boiler onto the false ceiling. :)
Quite unlikely downstairs would be at fault unless they are renovating near the ceiling, eg install false ceiling, hacking wall tiles or ceiling light. Hard to prove, maybe there is record of renovation work done with the condo management?

mantrix
14-05-12, 18:25

you may not feel much because you have gotten used to it but i bet the floor below you is cooler - same amount of ventilation but less sun. Try going into your neighbour's unit :)

irisng
15-05-12, 08:42

Ya, actually it is also not fair to say that it is the upper unit fault too unless they too do some renovation work.

My mgt once wrote to me telling me that the lower floor unit had complained about the leakage in the toilet and asked us to rectify it. I was just wondering, we did not do any renovation work and also seldom used or washed this toilet, why was there a leakage. Anyway, we went down to see but the parents were not around, so we left our contact number behind but they didn't call us, so the case just closed like that. Maybe it was the sewage pipe that was not insulated properly.

buttercarp
15-05-12, 08:52
Ya, actually it is also not fair to say that it is the upper unit fault too unless they too do some renovation work.

My mgt once wrote to me telling me that the lower floor unit had complained about the leakage in the toilet and asked us to rectify it. I was just wondering, we did not do any renovation work and also seldom used or washed this toilet, why was there a leakage. Anyway, we went down to see but the parents were not around, so we left our contact number behind but they didn't call us, so the case just closed like that. Maybe it was their pumping leaking that they found out later on.

You will be surprised.
Sometimes because you did not use the toilet, the pipe may be prone to leakage as the stagnant water which contains minerals like iron can cause erosion and rust in the pipe.
My toilet leak into downstairs unit was actually a leak in the hot water pipe running from the heater in my master bedroom to the powder room which I never used.
It is good to turn on the water in the unused toilet on and off to prevent such occurence.

buttercarp
15-05-12, 08:55
Btw.... last night was extremely hot.
The upper level of my unit was so hot!
Dun know if the insulating material of the roof has degraded with time or was it really hot last night?

chiaberry
15-05-12, 09:02
Dun know if the insulating material of the roof has degraded with time or was it really hot last night?

It was really hot last night.

Surprisingly my room in landed house was OK. Only using floor standing fan. Maybe the heat rises up during the night and the landed house can dissipate the heat more quickly?

We have solar powered hot water tank (since long time alr >20+ years)! Save a lot of $$$ on hot water these days!!!

Kanarazu
15-05-12, 09:17

Surprisingly my room in landed house was OK. Only using floor standing fan. Maybe the heat rises up during the night and the landed house can dissipate the heat more quickly?

We have solar powered hot water tank (since long time alr >20+ years)! Save a lot of $$$ on hot water these days!!!

It was warm indeed. Expect more cooling measures.:)

evergreen
15-05-12, 09:30
Top floor is no warmer than non-top floor unit, if the insulation is done properly. Once, the insulation was removed for repairs and the unit was hotter than sauna :scared-3:

HDB makes you compensate the owner below but they will never compensate you when they make the roof leak. They fix the roof after many complaints (they will insist it's some other cause) and tell you that whatever's inside is the owner's responsibility :mad:

DC33_2008
15-05-12, 09:33
Sewage pipe does not need insulation. :confused:

My mgt once wrote to me telling me that the lower floor unit had complained about the leakage in the toilet and asked us to rectify it. I was just wondering, we did not do any renovation work and also seldom used or washed this toilet, why was there a leakage. Anyway, we went down to see but the parents were not around, so we left our contact number behind but they didn't call us, so the case just closed like that. Maybe it was the sewage pipe that was not insulated properly.

fooblack
15-05-12, 09:35

ya loh.. this type of situation is no clear cut case..
the lower floor unit has to prove the case beyond reasonable doubt.

even so, the upper unit may choose to act blur or ignore it..

so the lower floor unit may usually end up at in a disadvantageous position..

Kelonguni
15-05-12, 10:18

It was hot everywhere. Step out of aircon = hot. The wind blowing was warm. Why is it so hot in May?

carbuncle
15-05-12, 10:51

My usually cool bedroom was like warm warm de when I entered it to sleep at midnight... I was ??!!??

And my unit only had pm sun at an angle (30deg)

carbuncle
15-05-12, 10:52

Guess between you and sis buttercarp you guys own Heaven & Earth...

One stay top floor one stay ground floor... wakakakakakaka

carbuncle
15-05-12, 10:54
It was hot everywhere. Step out of aircon = hot. The wind blowing was warm. Why is it so hot in May?

I noticed a few discarded box packaging of fans at the rubbish bins in my condo ... that says something... you know its that time of the year again babe!

We go HOT HOT HOT!

SP go HIAK HIAK HIAK!

flagship74
15-05-12, 15:58
Guess between you and sis buttercarp you guys own Heaven & Earth...

One stay top floor one stay ground floor... wakakakakakaka

Yeah..both are very "descriptive" hahaha..:D

irisng
15-05-12, 22:14
Sewage pipe does not need insulation. :confused:

Sorry, I don't really know how to explain. From what I know, there is a big piping at the top of our toilet false ceiling, the pipe was covered with some "silver foil" to prevent the condensation. We ever experienced water dripping from there, so what we did was to re-insulate (re-covered) the pipe properly and it seems to work ie. no more water dripping and spoil our false ceiling. So, we presume the same thing happens to our lower floor also.

At first, we also thought that it was the leakage from the upper floor but in the end we found out that it was actually from the condensation of the pipe (water flow from upper floor) that was not covered properly during the construction.

buttercarp
16-05-12, 00:46
What's wrong with the weather these days? Tonite again it is hot hot hot!
When I step out of the aircon room, it is like an oven!

carbuncle
16-05-12, 04:07
Super hot to super storm and rain. SG has self regulating weather... @@

DC33_2008
16-05-12, 09:14
Condensation can only occur when the surface of the pipe reaches the dew point temperature of the air. Question is why the sewage pipe is cold. Unless it is a condensate pipe or refrigerant pipe of the air-conditioner.
Sorry, I don't really know how to explain. From what I know, there is a big piping at the top of our toilet false ceiling, the pipe was covered with some "silver foil" to prevent the condensation. We ever experienced water dripping from there, so what we did was to re-insulate (re-covered) the pipe properly and it seems to work ie. no more water dripping and spoil our false ceiling. So, we presume the same thing happens to our lower floor also.

At first, we also thought that it was the leakage from the upper floor but in the end we found out that it was actually from the condensation of the pipe (water flow from upper floor) that was not covered properly during the construction.

chiaberry
16-05-12, 09:40

I find it is more comfortable to use fan as the temperature even though high is more stable throughout the house. The difference in temp between air con room and non-air con room is so great that it amplifies the "hotness" of the non-air con rooms. Still only using one cheapo stand fan in my bedroom last night. Perhaps living right next to the rainforest/catchment area the heat does not linger so long after sundown.

roly8
16-05-12, 09:48

yea lor..

sooner or later, confirm got skin problem.. :(

gn108
16-05-12, 10:06
Thunder-storm woke me up ...lighting like dancing lights...and then still can have nightmare...

Maybe the hot/dry weather is better...

carbuncle
16-05-12, 11:08
yea lor..

sooner or later, confirm got skin problem.. :(
I sit still doing nothing also can perspire like pig... And its at night.

roly8
16-05-12, 11:13
I sit still doing nothing also can perspire like pig... And its at night.

loll..

turn on your fan, at least :D

if not, air-con lor :o

carbuncle
16-05-12, 11:15
loll..

turn on your fan, at least :D

if not, air-con lor :o
Fan noisy! Aircon expensive for retiree like me!!!!!

stl67
16-05-12, 11:19
Fan noisy! Aircon expensive for retiree like me!!!!!

wah you so young already retire.. so 'ho mia'

carbuncle
16-05-12, 11:28
wah you so young already retire.. so 'ho mia'
Wanna go sit in the clubhouse aircon but not open after 10 wakakaka.... Me no young... Me uncle...

gn108
16-05-12, 11:31
Lose weight..

Wanna go sit in the clubhouse aircon but not open after 10 wakakaka.... Me no young... Me uncle...

carbuncle
16-05-12, 12:04
Lose weight..
Do I look fat to you...??

fclim
16-05-12, 12:10

You said you perspire like a pig, rite? Got see skinny pig before anot?:D :D

gn108
16-05-12, 12:17
I assume that photo was of your 'party by-gone years'...sorry if I offended your slimness...

carbuncle
16-05-12, 12:25
I assume that photo was of your 'party by-gone years'...sorry if I offended your slimness...
Kekeke I rarely get offended. Just pretend angry nia... It was taken about 5yrs ago la not very long. In fact I think those muscle muscle types burn more and generate more heat...

carbuncle
16-05-12, 12:26
You said you perspire like a pig, rite? Got see skinny pig before anot?:D :D
Got leh..!!!!! Those with saggy saggy flesh last time fat but slim down a lot type

chiaberry
16-05-12, 12:43
Kekeke I rarely get offended. Just pretend angry nia... It was taken about 5yrs ago la not very long. In fact I think those muscle muscle types burn more and generate more heat...

those mucle types when they stop excercising (for example illness or posted overseas to work) they look weird. Coz their body shape has been changed by the exercise but when the muscles shrink, the skin doesn't. Muscle shrink quite quickly once you stop exercising so you have to keep at it or else.....

gn108
16-05-12, 12:47
Agreed - reason why I don't exercise. But weight increase gradually, to keep skin taut.

BAck to topic, hope the weather gets more friendlier ...so we can hop to showflats in better mood and not get sick.

those mucle types when they stop excercising (for example illness or posted overseas to work) they look weird. Coz their body shape has been changed by the exercise but when the muscles shrink, the skin doesn't. Muscle shrink quite quickly once you stop exercising so you have to keep at it or else.....

carbuncle
16-05-12, 16:34
Agreed - reason why I don't exercise. But weight increase gradually, to keep skin taut.

BAck to topic, hope the weather gets more friendlier ...so we can hop to showflats in better mood and not get sick.

Gain weight in order to keep skin taut and smooth??? OMG

First time i hear this.... faintfaint

sh
16-05-12, 21:16

Like......:D

hyenergix
16-05-12, 21:22

Careful of the blood vessels and heart.

irisng
16-05-12, 21:23
Condensation can only occur when the surface of the pipe reaches the dew point temperature of the air. Question is why the sewage pipe is cold. Unless it is a condensate pipe or refrigerant pipe of the air-conditioner.

That's right, it is from the air-conditioner.