PDA

View Full Version : help needed, bamboo blinds asked to be removed

aunhyunty
04-06-12, 07:31
Hi seniors, I need help. After some research and read up, I realized that we can't install fixtures to our balcony. So in the end we bought bamboo blinds to install at balcony. in fact we committed to a deal during the expo fair last Dec before we even got our keys. So when we got our keys as well the resident handbook, we were shock that bamboo blinds are not allowed. We immediately called to explain our situation and the person who answered our call quite nice and told us if no resident complain they will close one eye, we proceeded since we already paid deposit during the expo fair. Few months have gone and we suddenly received a letter asking us to remove our blinds. What should we do? Firstly, we do not wish to remove because we spent close to 1k for the blind, not cheap. Secondly, we were quite close to our opp units and most of them hang their unsightly laundry on their balcony facing us. Please advise, thanks Alot for reading.

spikey69
04-06-12, 07:48
Hi seniors, I need help. After some research and read up, I realized that we can't install fixtures to our balcony. So in the end we bought bamboo blinds to install at balcony. in fact we committed to a deal during the expo fair last Dec before we even got our keys. So when we got our keys as well the resident handbook, we were shock that bamboo blinds are not allowed. We immediately called to explain our situation and the person who answered our call quite nice and told us if no resident complain they will close one eye, we proceeded since we already paid deposit during the expo fair. Few months have gone and we suddenly received a letter asking us to remove our blinds. What should we do? Firstly, we do not wish to remove because we spent close to 1k for the blind, not cheap. Secondly, we were quite close to our opp units and most of them hang their unsightly laundry on their balcony facing us. Please advise, thanks Alot for reading.

Take it down...$1k is going to look puny in comparison to all the hassle that you will face and maybe even if this degenerates into a lawyer ding dong over the terms and agreement as laid out in the handbook. Not worth it.

aunhyunty
04-06-12, 08:04
Take it down...$1k is going to look puny in comparison to all the hassle that you will face and maybe even if this degenerates into a lawyer ding dong over the terms and agreement as laid out in the handbook. Not worth it.

I just don't understand. So many condos are doing that. Why is my mgt so anal about it. Do u think if I nego to roll up most of the time instead of totally remove will help? There are times I really need to roll down the blinds..

sh
04-06-12, 08:11
If you don't like the rules, run for posts in the mcst and change them. In the meanwhile, take them down.:beats-me-man:

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
04-06-12, 08:33
Finally met an aunty kekeke. Ok back to serious matter. Do you see other units having the same? Maybe group together and explain to MCST why you need it. But be prepared they can say you can install curtains right?

silver023
04-06-12, 08:38
They are usually very sticky about this issue during the first year while the developer is managing the condo/apt.

You should probably talk to the manager of the MA to discuss if you can retain your blinds (the junior person in the MA usually enforces by the book, hence will not be open to such discussions).

If not, just temporarily remove the blinds and get yourself in the Management Council (and be prepared for alot of unappreciated work).

buttercarp
04-06-12, 08:43
Have to comply with MCST.
Take down the blinds.
In future before installing anything, get permission in black and white.

Is yours is a new development?
If so then maybe after 1 year (when CSC is obtained) can try again and ask the management in black and white.

Laguna
04-06-12, 09:16
Before CSC, it is very difficult
It is also in the S&P if I am not wrong, that ur not allowed to install anything that is immovable in the PES and balcony.

After CSC, and formation of MCST, it all depends on the MC.
I hv condo...ok to install..and some..no no

Montaigne
04-06-12, 09:16
Have to comply with MCST.
Take down the blinds.
In future before installing anything, get permission in black and white.

Is yours is a new development?
If so then maybe after 1 year (when CSC is obtained) can try again and ask the management in black and white.

For my condo mgt very strict, cannot install blinds.

aunhyunty
04-06-12, 09:29
Say if we take it down, instead of mounting to the ceiling, we fenced it around the balcony, is this considered breaking the rules?

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
04-06-12, 09:33
Say if we take it down, instead of mounting to the ceiling, we fenced it around the balcony, is this considered breaking the rules?

As long as it is not a permanent fixture (ie can be removed easily) it should be fine. Roll up blinds which have to be affixed into the concrete etc by drilling is considered permanent.

aunhyunty
04-06-12, 10:03
So seems like from all your response, I have to comply and there is no way to appeal? It's a sure lose case even if we provide evidence we bought before we receive handbook?

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
04-06-12, 10:51
Just wondering how come you receive the handbook so late. Isnt it given together with all the set of keys.

aunhyunty
04-06-12, 10:54
Just wondering how come you receive the handbook so late. Isnt it given together with all the set of keys.

Yes it is given together with the keys. Problem is we bought before we move in. so once we move in we go ahead install cos bought already. Called mgt and they said as long no complain they close one eye. Apparently got one neighbor complain many times according to mgt. Just called them and got to know it's that neighbors fault.

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
04-06-12, 10:56
Yes it is given together with the keys. Problem is we bought before we move in. so once we move in we go ahead install cos bought already. Called mgt and they said as long no complain they close one eye. Apparently got one neighbor complain many times according to mgt. Just called them and got to know it's that neighbors fault.

Actually why would your bamboo blind get in the way of the neibour?? :beats-me-man:

Do you have a beautiful daughter in the house that if you roll down the blind that neighbour cant see her???? Its silly.

aunhyunty
04-06-12, 11:03
Actually why would your bamboo blind get in the way of the neibour?? :beats-me-man:

Do you have a beautiful daughter in the house that if you roll down the blind that neighbour cant see her???? Its silly.
M guessing could be that neighbor want to install but can't get approved so eye sore. I couldn't think of other reasons.

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
04-06-12, 11:04
M guessing could be that neighbor want to install but can't get approved so eye sore. I couldn't think of other reasons.

Oh boy. Some people really too free...:doh:

Wild Falcon
04-06-12, 11:06
For some condos, the MC is lenient with the ground floor PES, but strict with the high floor balconies because it changes the facade.

aunhyunty
04-06-12, 11:20
Shocked to know that nobody faced such issue in this forum when I tried to search for answer. It is either our mgt too strict, or other condo owners too obedient.

Tripp
04-06-12, 11:25
How about installation of ceiling fans at the balcony ceiling?

If you can narrow down the neighbour, you can send him/her your "regards".

buttercarp
04-06-12, 11:36

Stupid neighbour! Looks like someone from the opposite block?
Last time my immediate neighbour got complained by another neighbour from opposite block that they cannot sleep cos my neighbour light shine into their house and disturb them.

rattydrama
04-06-12, 13:10
only place some overgrown potted plants, should be able to hide it.:-), guess neighbour wont complain now.

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
04-06-12, 14:00
Shocked to know that nobody faced such issue in this forum when I tried to search for answer. It is either our mgt too strict, or other condo owners too obedient.

Your neighbours too petty la. How many units in total by the way?

aunhyunty
04-06-12, 14:12
Your neighbours too petty la. How many units in total by the way?

Less than 80. Small Dev...I hope to take revenge by hanging red undies in a line on my balcony.

DC33_2008
04-06-12, 14:19
Three plausible reasons for not allowing people to hang blinds at the balcony: (1) May look good when new but may affect the outlook at the whole development when old; (2) Could be due to safety issue as it may fall downstair if it is not properly fastened; and (3) becomes an enclosed space which will be considered as GFA. The last reason is probably the one as it is infringing the regulation.
So seems like from all your response, I have to comply and there is no way to appeal? It's a sure lose case even if we provide evidence we bought before we receive handbook?

buttercarp
04-06-12, 14:20
Less than 80. Small Dev...I hope to take revenge by hanging red undies in a line on my balcony.

Hang reflective CD's to chase birds and insects.

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
04-06-12, 14:29

Oh its the one in D19. ;)

Well u can hang a line of mirrors like the 'ba gua' fengshui mirror, some of the neighbours do that to others who create nuisance.

http://www.kenlauher.com/feng-shui-tips/bid/48630/Feng-Shui-Ba-Gua-Mirrors-Make-Good-Neighbors

DLiauw
04-06-12, 16:53

Architects are required, as part of their Planning Submission to URA, to also submit proposal for balcony screening. This requirement was implemented about 5 years ago and it is to ensure that there is a consistent look for the entire facade of a development.

Developers are not required to build/provide this as part of the sales of the unit. MCST has the final say of whether they will allow balcony screening at all but if they do, they must use the architect's submitted balcony screening details. You should check with your MCST, or the developer for this and see whether it will be helpful to you.

chiaberry
04-06-12, 17:01
I think condos should standardise their balcony screening. ie agree on a common standard and everybody stick to it. Otherwise it looks rather untidy esp for a new devt. Example is Clover by the Park (Bishan). There's an assortment of balcony screening devices and also assorted laundry being hung to dry on the balconies. Some units are close to the road and you can see what's on people's balconies.

DLiauw
04-06-12, 17:15
I think condos should standardise their balcony screening. ie agree on a common standard and everybody stick to it. Otherwise it looks rather untidy esp for a new devt. Example is Clover by the Park (Bishan). There's an assortment of balcony screening devices and also assorted laundry being hung to dry on the balconies. Some units are close to the road and you can see what's on people's balconies.

I agree with you -- it is a good thing to keep uniformity throughout the facade of the building. It may also keep or preserve the value of the property in the long run. In a condo that I lived in in the US, the Homeowners' Association has even insisted that all the curtains must have white backings....so that when viewed from the streets below, one will not be treated to a havoc mixture of different colors and floral patterns/prints.

Komo
05-06-12, 08:01
some form of screening must be allowed right? switch to that. no choice have to waste that $1k. also complain about opp neighbors' laundry:D

aunhyunty
05-06-12, 08:25
some form of screening must be allowed right? switch to that. no choice have to waste that $1k. also complain about opp neighbors' laundry:D
I complained with pictures, but mgt said hanging laundry was not against the rule :hell-hath-no-fury: that is why I said I wish to take revenge by hanging red undies in a line :mad:

aunhyunty
05-06-12, 09:59
Since we are staying at 2nd floor, privacy issue is worst. Imagine those above can see us so clearly. Moreover bbq smokes get into our house. Wee are drafting a letter with all these concerns...

DKSG
05-06-12, 10:23
Your $1K binds has indeed taken up much resources here.

I shall be short and sharp.

Take down now, keep it.

Next year, when MCST change, or neighbour moved, or died, then put up again.

DKSG
PS : You know all the experts here earn $10K, $15K, $20K a month leh! Aunty just used up more than $1K of their time combined.

buttercarp
05-06-12, 10:32
Your $1K binds has indeed taken up much resources here.

I shall be short and sharp.

Take down now, keep it.

Next year, when MCST change, or neighbour moved, or died, then put up again.

DKSG
PS : You know all the experts here earn $10K, $15K, $20K a month leh! Aunty just used up more than $1K of their time combined.

Agree with office boy regarding blinds.
I don't think the experts mind giving advice to the aunty.
It is a matter of principle not money.
So aunty, no worries ok?

Poloclub
05-06-12, 11:13
The Parc condo at west coast does allow bamboo blinds. but I do think it make the building a little messy.

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
05-06-12, 12:57
I didnt know the MCST in KG is so on the ball and scared of the sole proprietors. But i do agree the Indian security officer lady is super on. I like her. My tenant ever kena questioned by her for visiting friend not parking in visitor lot.

Aunty, you are a sole proprietor (the boss) yourself, no need to scared them. And your blinds does not hinder anyone. Black and white and rules are dead things, people are living and flexible things. In such small apartments, one glance can see the whole house. Precisely more one will need such screening for modesty of not just yourselves but also neighbours who wish not to see too much into the house. Curtains drawn whole day is really horrid experience... Especially when the design of the one bedder and studios there dont really encourage cross ventilation.

Komo
05-06-12, 13:57
..........move house loh...there is always a better place:D

focus
05-06-12, 15:55
Sian right.. Buy a million dollar condo and become a prisoner to the committee of your condo.

Stay HDB or buy landed better. I regret moving to condo.. lol

maisonjai
05-06-12, 17:02
I complained with pictures, but mgt said hanging laundry was not against the rule :hell-hath-no-fury: that is why I said I wish to take revenge by hanging red undies in a line :mad:
buy 50 undies, string them together & use it as a screen. If mgt ask then tell them this is laundry. :banana:

Tripp
05-06-12, 17:05
http://blissfullydomestic.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/underwear-clothesline-300x225.jpg

Blue
05-06-12, 17:08
Sian right.. Buy a million dollar condo and become a prisoner to the committee of your condo.

Stay HDB or buy landed better. I regret moving to condo.. lol

Precisely...everyday go out of home to work or study, thousands of rules around set by employers, schools and government.

Come back to home sweet home, still hv to abide by MCST rules.

Haiz, life is miserable...best thing for original poster is to sell ur condo, fire the MC.

Tripp
05-06-12, 17:25
Why don't you get these?

Should fit MCST & URA/BCA requirements.

You can shield your clothsline & your apartment from the prying eyes of your neighbours.

But you must get weather resistant folding partitions.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Hk-qid--L.jpg

Laguna
05-06-12, 20:30
Why don't you get these?

Should fit MCST & URA/BCA requirements.

You can shield your clothsline & your apartment from the prying eyes of your neighbours.

But you must get weather resistant folding partitions.

Hi Tripp
where to get these as I may need it

hyenergix
05-06-12, 20:33
Living bamboo okay?

http://www.yunfeng-gardens.com.cn/images/bamboo/nigra,80-120cm,5liter.jpg

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
05-06-12, 21:51
Hi Tripp

I know Zen from Star Furniture Group carry a few designs.

zeamybro
05-06-12, 22:05
Hi Tripp

Laguna - i have seen them at Lim's Art & Living in the past at Holland V, not sure if they still carry now in their current outlets though.

Tripp
05-06-12, 22:18
Hi,

Just gotten the random pic from Amazon. I think some forummers have provided suggestions as to where to get it from.

I saw some art deco partitions in FrancFranc at Vivocity today. Thought it looked quite nice (around 1.8m height), but I'm not sure if the printed material is weather resistant. It also does not have any louvres.

http://shop.bals.co.jp/shop/c/cA001/

Furthermore the "unsightly" clothsline can be placed behind the folding partition as well.

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
07-06-12, 14:20
THE sale and purchase agreement for a condominium unit requires an owner to obtain written approval before installing a shade, awning, grille or any other additions to the windows, balconies or exterior areas of the apartment that run counter to the vendor's design and specifications.

The power to decide on the installation of safety grilles to windows and balconies is transferred from the developer to the management corporation strata title, which administers the condo estate.

The trend among newer condos, and especially those that are very tall, is to disallow the installation of grilles to windows and balconies in order to maintain the visual integrity of the buildings' facades.

I often wonder how apartment owners keep their homes safe for their children. The Government should consider introducing changes to the standard sale and purchase agreement, which most developers use and for which changes must be approved by the Controller of Housing, to let owners install safety grilles to windows and balconies. To safeguard the visual integrity of the condo buildings, the grilles can be restricted to the vendor's pre-approved designs.

It is possible to preserve the facade of condos with beautifully designed grilles or unobtrusive 'invisible grilles' that are available in the market.

Lives should not be put at risk just to maintain the beautiful facade of a skyscraper condo.

Tan Yee Peng (Madam)

hopeful
07-06-12, 14:38
..........The Government should consider introducing changes to the standard sale and purchase agreement, which most developers use and for which changes must be approved by the Controller of Housing, to let owners install safety grilles to windows and balconies. To safeguard the visual integrity of the condo buildings, the grilles can be restricted to the vendor's pre-approved designs.

It is possible to preserve the facade of condos with beautifully designed grilles or unobtrusive 'invisible grilles' that are available in the market.

Lives should not be put at risk just to maintain the beautiful facade of a skyscraper condo.

Tan Yee Peng (Madam)
the thing is not that not too many kids fell down in a short period.
we need more kids to fall down and die from ungrilled balcony.

example1.
maids' case, 12 died in like 3 months, then only implement guidelines.

example2.
overhead traffic light at Bugis area is installed earlier than planned because of high profile accidents in short period.

you have a govt that is reactive.

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
07-06-12, 14:43
the thing is not that not too many kids fell down in a short period.
we need more kids to fall down and die from ungrilled balcony.

example1.
maids' case, 12 died in like 3 months, then only implement guidelines.

example2.
overhead traffic light at Bugis area is installed earlier than planned because of high profile accidents in short period.

you have a govt that is reactive.

Example 3: after people complain foreign talents steal our jobs and husbands/wives/lives than implement tightening.

danntbt
07-06-12, 16:14
....just wondering if the new product called invisible grille is allowed? Frankly speaking, bamboo shade do not last, and they could be dangerous as the bamboo strips do rot over time and plus the nylon rope could snap, I have seen such blinds collapsing or blown away during thunderstorm....right here in Singapore.

hyenergix
07-06-12, 17:42
THE sale and purchase agreement for a condominium unit requires an owner to obtain written approval before installing a shade, awning, grille or any other additions to the windows, balconies or exterior areas of the apartment that run counter to the vendor's design and specifications.

The power to decide on the installation of safety grilles to windows and balconies is transferred from the developer to the management corporation strata title, which administers the condo estate.

The trend among newer condos, and especially those that are very tall, is to disallow the installation of grilles to windows and balconies in order to maintain the visual integrity of the buildings' facades.

I often wonder how apartment owners keep their homes safe for their children. The Government should consider introducing changes to the standard sale and purchase agreement, which most developers use and for which changes must be approved by the Controller of Housing, to let owners install safety grilles to windows and balconies. To safeguard the visual integrity of the condo buildings, the grilles can be restricted to the vendor's pre-approved designs.

Tan Yee Peng (Madam)

Is this an advertisement?

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
11-06-12, 15:25
Someone on 5th floor facing the back just installed white venetian horizontal blind on balcony, fyi. I happened to pass by and saw.

(sorry, i one of the kaypo neighbours)