PDA

View Full Version : Finally, MOM take actions to ensure safety of maids cleaning windows

phantom_opera
04-06-12, 21:02
The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) on Monday announced that with immediate effect, foreign domestic workers (FDWs) are not allowed to clean window exteriors unless enhanced and safe working conditions are in place.
Firstly, the employer or an adult representative of the employer must be physically present to supervise the FDW.
Secondly, window grilles must have been installed and locked at all times during the cleaning process.
The new rules will apply to all homes, except for windows that are at the ground level or along common corridors.

=> it is way way way overdue ... is it because Indonesia threatening not to allow maids to come to Singapore??

indomie
04-06-12, 21:35
I am fully symphatised with the indo maids. Maybe they used to work in two storey mansion back in their homeland. Come to singapore in such a tiny flat, it is a struggle to keep themselves busy. So, she might attempt that dangerous acrobatic feat just to keep themselves occupied. Not knowing the danger can send them to their death. Maids are human too. If u treat them well, they will treat u even better than their own parents.

Komo
04-06-12, 21:48
...next is to teach employers how to be safe (from ....) :o

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
04-06-12, 22:05
后知后觉
早该解决
亲断后绝
何以吞嚼?

buttercarp
05-06-12, 08:52
The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) on Monday announced that with immediate effect, foreign domestic workers (FDWs) are not allowed to clean window exteriors unless enhanced and safe working conditions are in place.
Firstly, the employer or an adult representative of the employer must be physically present to supervise the FDW.
Secondly, window grilles must have been installed and locked at all times during the cleaning process.
The new rules will apply to all homes, except for windows that are at the ground level or along common corridors.

=> it is way way way overdue ... is it because Indonesia threatening not to allow maids to come to Singapore??

Today I heard over the news that an adult has to supervise the maid if she is cleaning the exterior of the windows.
This is more reasonable.
Actually if the window grilles are locked all the time, then it should be safe.

hopeful
05-06-12, 09:12
why not treat the home like a workplace?

if workers are injured in a factory, owners are responsible for any treatment and compensation.
likewise, maid's employers should be held responsible. this regulation is better than any MOM "suggestions" as automatically all maids' employers would take steps to reduce their potential liabilities.

phantom_opera
05-06-12, 09:29
Many will kpkb about fixing the grilles and personal supervision, Singapore a graceful society? ... dream on :tongue3:

radha08
05-06-12, 10:34
many many many moons ago when i was growing up....NEVER heard of maids...nowadays....:doh:

buttercarp
05-06-12, 10:35
Many will kpkb about fixing the grilles and personal supervision, Singapore a graceful society? ... dream on :tongue3:

Good reason to convince my husband to install grilles in my new place.:)

p3nboy
05-06-12, 10:36
window cleaning service available for highrise condo. we have safety hardness and helmet, supervision is not require. PM me if keen:D

buttercarp
05-06-12, 10:38
window cleaning service available for highrise condo. we have safety hardness and helmet, supervision is not require. PM me if keen:D

Do you have self cleansing windows for sale :D ?