PDA

View Full Version : Community Service Part VII of X: 10 Reasons Why I Want To Be An Agent

mcmlxxvi
02-09-12, 12:35
In dedication to one of our dear forummer bro/sis who sent me a note of appreciation, I shall once again touch on the age old sensitive career choice. Short of being placed on the same scale as a convict (or are they already??), real estate agents are often labeled fiends rather than friends. Maligned or misaligned, these accusations, you think? Let's find out.

TOP TEN REASONS WHY I WANT TO BE A PROPERTY AGENT:

1. I Love I Love I Love Houses, Homes and Meeting People

I grew up in a happy family with happy memories of childhood days spent learning and having fun with my siblings. This same house is the house I am still living in after 30 years. A house is not just bricks and mortar. A house is also a home. A home is where joy and laughter surrounds everyone close to me. To be able to be invited into strangers' homes and share in the bliss of living and life is a privilege I would love to have, nevermind if they are moving on to another home. Because I know this house has been pre-loved...

I also love architecture and the marvels of structure and design. No two houses are alike. No two clients are alike. Some look like they are toppling over. Some look bottom heavy. Some look sleek and fine. Some look gritty and grungy. (I am describing both houses and people) The variety and diversity of people and their choices invigorate me every day.

2. I Want To Make Lots Of Money

This is one of the easiest way to make lots of money. Provided I am good at what I do. Just like other 'agent' professions, I need to work it and build on your network. Don't expect to rake in the millions in my first six months though - unless perhaps my last name is Bieber...

3. I Want To Be My Own Boss and In Control Of My Time

Being a property salesperson, is effectually being my own boss. I have the support of a proper agency which provides administrative and legal services to what I do, but I alone decide how I want to run my business. How often to advertise? Where to advertise? Who to target? New launches? Resale? Rental? Commercial? It can be as complex as any business can get. I may even grow a team and mentor them. I decide when to start the work day and when to knock off. I may also never knock off, for months or years on end, taking calls from clients and team members even during vacation. There are sacrifices and there are rewards. I alone decide how much I get.

4. I Can't Read Or Write Proper English

Now, if I did not have the luxury of a tertiary or maybe even a secondary education, few professions offer the same level playing field as others who might be Masters of their sea or have their Heads Permanently Damaged. The ability to strike rapport with customers, listen to their needs as well as convincing and the power of influencing them into making decisions that achieves what they want are key here. I can leave the writing and documentation to the agency if I prefer.

5. I Love To Be Around Pretty Girls and Handsome Men

As they say, first impressions count. And other than perhaps private banking and professions involving beauty, aesthetics, entertainment and carnal pleasures, this is one other profession where I am guaranteed to find plenty of folks with high scores in the looks department. Some may even rival celebrity and movie stars with their chiseled clean-cut good looks with devilish bodies. Oh how I just love eye candy...

6. I Have Aged And Sick Dependents To Take Care Of

I need to be in and out of the hospital at times, or check in on my elderly kinship in nursing homes. Not many other professions offer the flexibility of time and scheduling my own appointments as I deem fit.

7. I Love Driving Around Town

I treat my drive as my second home! The smell of polished leather, the engine rev... the feel of wind on my hair as I wind down the convertible top. Pure bliss... Other than being a taxi driver, hell no, in an ugly company design car, how better to be painting the town red for house viewings and appointments with clients. I think I know the whole of Singapore better than my taxi driver uncle.

8. I Hate Sitting In An Office 9-to-5

I shake my legs. I fidget in my seat. I twiddle my fingers... I am a classic ADD case and absolutely restless. You will never catch my sitting still for more than 5 minutes. And that's when I'm filling out the Option to Purchase on the computer. This job lets me fly around town for viewings and showflat duties and deal closing luncheons. I love the adrenaline in rushing about!

9. I Want To Get In On The Latest Bestest Housing Deals

An astute small time investor myself, how else to get in on the grapevine and insider preview sales then signing up with an agency? I get access to the agency only listing networks and first hand new launch units. Hey, if the developer is feeling generous, I may even get loyalty discounts!

10. I Love Helping People Fulfill Their Dreams

A home is one of the biggest, if not the biggest commitment anyone can make in their lifetime. It costs a lot of money to buy. But it also provides for security, a roof over your heads, a place to rest and relax that you can call your very own, a domain for your creativity in decorating and customising furnishing, a place where you can think and work in private, a platform for growth and discovery, in short, a place where people fulfill their dreams and spend treasured life's moments. To me, it is a noble calling where I can help people realise and live that dream.

ikan bilis
02-09-12, 13:20
plus 1 more reason....

=> i can advertise my own properties for rent/sale on propertyguru or iproperty... now the 2 websites taking agents only, and every time i got to go through agents to advertise... :simmering:

carbuncle
02-09-12, 13:39
hmmmm I think got other sites that accept non agents and owners. nationproperty, sg-house, gumtree, listings.sg, redad, roomsdb, h88 etc....

ikan bilis
02-09-12, 13:43
hmmmm I think got other sites that accept non agents and owners. nationproperty, sg-house, gumtree, listings.sg, redad, roomsdb, h88 etc....

low hit rate lah... i put on redad/efair, stproperty, gumtree before...

actual... pay S$30+ for SPH-CATS is still the best in response... and you only need to advertise 2-3times/wk...

;)

Laguna
02-09-12, 13:51
thank you
copied and added to my booklet of good advices

recently, there was an article in Yahoo, talking about u need not hv a degree and yet can earn a good living and property agent is on the top of the list

radha08
02-09-12, 23:25
read already like damm shiok...trust me in reality...NOT easy to make it BIG...:sleep: