PDA

View Full Version : Whats your objective of investing in property?

Ringo33
15-09-12, 23:25
It seems that many property investors here are talking about invest property for the next generation. i am just wondering how many investor here actually get to enjoy the $$ reward of investing in property?

radha08
15-09-12, 23:43
to earn $$$$$$:cheers1::cheers1::cheers1:

Ringo33
15-09-12, 23:46

yes, we are all making $$$, question is how much of what you made goes into rewarding yourself? Do you feel that sometime we are over providing for our children?

latour
15-09-12, 23:56

Of course.. Like like like...

Komo
15-09-12, 23:59
for capital gain:D

stiook
16-09-12, 00:12
yes, we are all making $$$, question is how much of what you made goes into rewarding yourself? Do you feel that sometime we are over providing for our children?

That is my concern too sometimes... that the children will lose the fire since all provided.

radha08
16-09-12, 00:17

that one worry later earn first...cos if u dont cheong to earn OTHERS will cheong then you will be left out...sad to say Spore is turning into a DOG eat DOG society every sporean/PR/FT for HIMSELF....:simmering:

Ringo33
16-09-12, 00:18
That is my concern too sometimes... that the children will lose the fire since all provided.

I think sometime we might be over doing things for kids and neglected ourselves.

CondoWE
16-09-12, 00:19

Making $$$ now is preparing cash for retirement or rainy day mah..:rolleyes: . You can alway donate to charity if you dun want to pass to your children after you submitted your ic lor...lol!

radha08
16-09-12, 00:22
Last time i used to think good to stay big house with plenty space to bring up family kids dogs....BUT knn nowadays sad to say due to circumstances...all those feelings are gone...a GOOD house is one that helps u earn $$ either thru capital gain/enbloc/rental...etc etc..over the past year i go see showflat...go view resale apts...what i see in OTHER peoples EYES who are viewing is HUNGER HUNGER HUNGER to make a KILLING...:eek:

Ringo33
16-09-12, 00:22
that one worry later earn first...cos if u dont cheong to earn OTHERS will cheong then you will be left out...sad to say Spore is turning into a DOG eat DOG society every sporean/PR/FT for HIMSELF....:simmering:

Chasing after money is an endless bottemless pit. . At the end of it what you made in your life s not transferable to life after death. How much s enough?

radha08
16-09-12, 00:23
Making $$$ now is preparing cash for retirement or rainy day mah..:rolleyes: . You can alway donate to charity if you dun want to pass to your children after you submitted your ic lor...lol!

u mean after UP the LorRy...:D:D:D....to up nice LorRy...also need plenty $$$:D:D:D:D

Ringo33
16-09-12, 00:25

What makes you think that ou can live to see retirement? Isnt tat a gamble which you have a 50% chance of losing?

radha08
16-09-12, 00:26
Chasing after money is an endless bottemless pit. . At the end of it what you made in your life s not transferable to life after death. How much s enough?

agree bro everybody should set their own goals....for ME as far as property concerned 2 is enough...now already got 1 aiming for another....then close SHOP....since i also got 2 kids...when me and my wife bye bye each can have 1...;)

stiook
16-09-12, 00:28

Every man and woman for him/herself... everyone wants the peacock and not the monkey.

buttercarp
16-09-12, 00:28
Investing in property is for passive income when I retire.
Also as backup in case kids need a place to stay.
But I told them already that they must pay me rent.

radha08
16-09-12, 00:29

many many years ago my wife always remembers when her dad passed away her family was so poor that they had to borrow money to pay for his funeral....I NEVER EVER EVER want to do that to my children....yes money is NOT transferable to life after death....but if you do not have enough of it while living...better be dead....:cheers5:

stiook
16-09-12, 00:31

Must balance... if the chase makes ownself and family unhappy, then the sacrifice may be too much... there is always a price to pay... see what is the threshold lor.

radha08
16-09-12, 00:31
Investing in property is for passive income when I retire.
Also as backup in case kids need a place to stay.
But I told them already that they must pay me rent.

:cheers4:...i think our childrens future in this country is going to be VERY VERY VERY VERY difficult if we dont plan for them unlike our parents time....:cheers4:

Ringo33
16-09-12, 00:38
:cheers4:...i think our childrens future in this country is going to be VERY VERY VERY VERY difficult if we dont plan for them unlike our parents time....:cheers4:

Wat so difficut? Husband wife educated and workin. Sure can afford hdb what?

zeamybro
16-09-12, 00:38
To curb inflation ......

Ringo33
16-09-12, 00:40
many many years ago my wife always remembers when her dad passed away her family was so poor that they had to borrow money to pay for his funeral....I NEVER EVER EVER want to do that to my children....yes money is NOT transferable to life after death....but if you do not have enough of it while living...better be dead....:cheers5:

If you noticed youare again worrying about you kids to te extend that you want to pay for your wn funeral. Have you ever thought that u might live te final years of you life alone in nursing home?

stiook
16-09-12, 00:42
If you noticed youare again worrying about you kids to te extend that you want to pay for your wn funeral. Have you ever thought that u might live te final years of you life alone in nursing home?

Time has changed... parents no longer expect kids to provide for them... but also dont want to be a financial liability.

Ringo33
16-09-12, 00:46
Time has changed... parents no longer expect kids to provide for them... but also dont want to be a financial liability.

Are we so bad tat we need moey to create famiy bonding?

CondoWE
16-09-12, 00:47
u mean after UP the LorRy...:D:D:D....to up nice LorRy...also need plenty $$$:D:D:D:D
I salute you..lol!

radha08
16-09-12, 00:47
Wat so difficut? Husband wife educated and workin. Sure can afford hdb what?

1 million:scared-1:...DOLLARS:scared-1:

CondoWE
16-09-12, 00:49

If you are rich then you can stay at 5 Stars nursing home :D :D :D .

radha08
16-09-12, 00:49

strange i did think of that thats why its IMPORTANT to make PLENTY of $$$$ so if ur kids throw u out and u need to stay in a NURSING home u have plenty of $$$ and can eat CURRY fish head everyday in the nursing home....:doh::doh::doh:

radha08
16-09-12, 00:50

dont worry our top talent minister provide us with CPF LIFE...:D

Ringo33
16-09-12, 00:52
strange i did think of that thats why its IMPORTANT to make PLENTY of $$$$ so if ur kids throw u out and u need to stay in a NURSING home u have plenty of $$$ and can eat CURRY fish head everyday in the nursing home....:doh::doh::doh:

You consider enjoying whie you are young and healthy. By that i dont mean you have to low your money on matreial stuffs.

azeoprop
16-09-12, 00:53
For me is for passive income. So that i can retire by 50 and can pay for old folks home later in life.:ashamed1:

radha08
16-09-12, 00:53
I salute you..lol!

:2cents:=hyundai loly:o

$$:2cents:=toyota loly:)

$$$$$=meceles loly:D:D:D:cheers4::cheers5:

radha08
16-09-12, 00:56
You consider enjoying whie you are young and healthy. By that i dont mean you have to low your money on matreial stuffs.

yup understand i am almost at HALF way point....so already enjoyed while young but at same time cannot relax....need to maintain speed at 80km hr:D

CondoWE
16-09-12, 00:58
What makes you think that ou can live to see retirement? Isnt tat a gamble which you have a 50% chance of losing?
Do you really want to work till 65 then starts saving? If you dun save now, you sure 100% lose leh :doh: .

CondoWE
16-09-12, 01:03
:2cents:=hyundai loly:o

$$:2cents:=toyota loly:)

$$$$$=meceles loly:D:D:D:cheers4::cheers5:

To me, at this state, car is just a transport so kimchi should good enough liao unless I m a billionaire :D :D :D .

For me is for passive income. So that i can retire by 50 and can pay for old folks home later in life.:ashamed1:

True..just in case nobody want ..:D

radha08
16-09-12, 01:08
To me, at this state, car is just a transport so kimchi should good enough liao unless I m a billionaire :D :D :D .

True..just in case nobody want ..:D

me driving suzuki...good enough:cheers1:

never do business...never sell property...everyday tcss in forum...why need to drive BMW:D

CondoWE
16-09-12, 01:17
me driving suzuki...good enough:cheers1:

never do business...never sell property...everyday tcss in forum...why need to drive BMW:D
Can drive BMW to coffee shop or wet market to tcss with aunties meh..:D .

radha08
16-09-12, 01:27
Can drive BMW to coffee shop or wet market to tcss with aunties meh..:D .

ya and my wife will follow me with this....:scared-1::D

http://cdn.planetminecraft.com/files/resource_media/screenshot/1233/T-90S-001_3286326.jpg

Kelonguni
16-09-12, 07:32

Whether live alone or in nursing home, it's not going to be cheap in future.

At least (minimum minimum) equivalent to current 2-3 k if a couple aims to retire for unlimited period of time.

When I die, I hope that children have something to give them a bit of choices. This is what most richer people in SG do anyway. If want to leave nothing then 60year lease is more than enough. That's also the rationale and foundation behind freehold. If Far East is doing it, why shouldn't we? Half of kids born with advantage and you want your kid to belong to the other half to work from scratch?

Several well known so-called motivation speakers actually are born with silver spoon. Success begets success IMHO, unless you leave so much that your children do not have to work a single day in their lives.

hyenergix
16-09-12, 08:08
...When I die, I hope that children have something to give them a bit of choices. This is what most richer people in SG do anyway. If want to leave nothing then 60year lease is more than enough. That's also the rationale and foundation behind freehold. If Far East is doing it, why shouldn't we? Half of kids born with advantage and you want your kid to belong to the other half to work from scratch?...

I agree. The gap is widening, unless the child has exceptional abilities or lucky to meet good mentors and succeed in their careers.

irisng
16-09-12, 08:19
The chances of couples (father & mother) die together is very slim. We have always been thinking about leaving the house for our kids but neglected our surviving spouse.

UltimateAro888
16-09-12, 08:22
Almost similar thought with brothers and sisters here.

Buy 1 additional property for short term investment as rental..hopefully hope to clear loan 12 years time and work hard for next 12 years to stay alive in corporate world.

When kids old enough in 12 years time (on their own by then) will rent out both properties and go rent hdb..hopefully can collect rental with both property and retired comfortable...

Longer term plan is to pass to kids when the time is up...

Pikachu1245
16-09-12, 08:28
If you are rich then you can stay at 5 Stars nursing home :D :D :D .

Believe the 5 star nursing home is coming soon as I heard it being discussed in the radio...................... (for those with sufficient $$$$$ of course).

Most likely within this decade should materialise.:scared-4:

CCR
16-09-12, 08:28
We are lucky interest rates is staying low for the nextb3 years.. So we must make full use of this opportunity... Since capital gain might be limited.... Now isnbest time for yield....

Any condo u buy whether freehold or leasehold sure got positive yield.... Free money.... Don't take advantage of it is silly....

irisng
16-09-12, 08:42
Last time i used to think good to stay big house with plenty space to bring up family kids dogs....BUT knn nowadays sad to say due to circumstances...all those feelings are gone...a GOOD house is one that helps u earn $$ either thru capital gain/enbloc/rental...etc etc..over the past year i go see showflat...go view resale apts...what i see in OTHER peoples EYES who are viewing is HUNGER HUNGER HUNGER to make a KILLING...:eek:

When I was young, I used to think that too, buy a house and stayed comfortably with my family, feel safe to put my money in the bank only. If I know how to think like what you young people think nowadays, I think I will make tons of money in private ppty and can retire now, sign...... :scared-3: During my time, not much restrictions on private ppty and moreover ppty was so much cheaper than now, what you need is only the downpayment and next minutes you can sell off your ppty already, easy money:D . One of my sister's friend had been doing that during that time, shifting house a few times in a year, what she needed was a mattress only.:D I wonder whether will today's ppty expensive prices be considered cheap in "tomorrow's" ppty market. :confused:

stiook
16-09-12, 08:49
Whether live alone or in nursing home, it's not going to be cheap in future.

At least (minimum minimum) equivalent to current 2-3 k if a couple aims to retire for unlimited period of time.

When I die, I hope that children have something to give them a bit of choices. This is what most richer people in SG do anyway. If want to leave nothing then 60year lease is more than enough. That's also the rationale and foundation behind freehold. If Far East is doing it, why shouldn't we? Half of kids born with advantage and you want your kid to belong to the other half to work from scratch?

Several well known so-called motivation speakers actually are born with silver spoon. Success begets success IMHO, unless you leave so much that your children do not have to work a single day in their lives.

Can go Jb... says our Minister

hyenergix
16-09-12, 08:54
Can go Jb... says our Minister

Nursing homes in JB are sure getting more popular, no need for M to say...

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20110802-292377.html

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120711-358574.html

http://tankinlian.blogspot.sg/2012/06/nursing-homes-in-johore-bahru.html

phantom_opera
16-09-12, 10:05
Tday Sunday times, surgery go kl, even ang moh drives to Jb for international school, some moved there wow

Gleneagles KL

Sleepyhead
16-09-12, 10:12

I think those successful speakers that came from silver spoon background are the rare ones... Mostly ppl who come from those background tend to lack dropive and motivation.l. Not many will make their own way and become something or someone.. I see that happening with my relo's w sons.. My relos have 2 landed and 2 PC... By time retire.. Will have fully paid of all... The sons will each get one landed and one PC fully paid up. Sorted liau lor.... Why need to work?

Ringo33
16-09-12, 10:23
Tday Sunday times, surgery go kl, even ang moh drives to Jb for international school, some moved there wow

Gleneagles KL

morning at around 9am you can see angmoh mum driving their Sg plate SUV back from JB. Should be dropping their kids there or living there now.

DC33_2008
16-09-12, 10:36
Four objectives: (1) Early retirement if needed once passive is more than active income; (2) Continue source of income [passive] for retirement; (3) For children as gift as they still need to own a HDB flat first and use the rental income [passive] to supplement their active income; and (4) To leave a legacy with my spouse and my name in the strata title especially the landed one. :D
It seems that many property investors here are talking about invest property for the next generation. i am just wondering how many investor here actually get to enjoy the $$ reward of investing in property?

DC33_2008
16-09-12, 10:44
My propeties are giving me between 13 - 16% yield by leveraging. But must be able to make capital repayment when needed. Money in the bank is less than 0.5 yield. :o
We are lucky interest rates is staying low for the nextb3 years.. So we must make full use of this opportunity... Since capital gain might be limited.... Now isnbest time for yield....

Any condo u buy whether freehold or leasehold sure got positive yield.... Free money.... Don't take advantage of it is silly....

DC33_2008
16-09-12, 10:47
Have learnt from my grandparents and parents that one should leverage in properties more than 16 years ago.
When I was young, I used to think that too, buy a house and stayed comfortably with my family, feel safe to put my money in the bank only. If I know how to think like what you young people think nowadays, I think I will make tons of money in private ppty and can retire now, sign...... :scared-3: During my time, not much restrictions on private ppty and moreover ppty was so much cheaper than now, what you need is only the downpayment and next minutes you can sell off your ppty already, easy money:D . One of my sister's friend had been doing that during that time, shifting house a few times in a year, what she needed was a mattress only.:D I wonder whether will today's ppty expensive prices be considered cheap in "tomorrow's" ppty market. :confused:

Laguna
16-09-12, 10:59
My propeties are giving me between 13 - 16% yield by leveraging. :o

ultra impressive return even on the cash on cash basis....
u must hv all the properties cheap....

richwang
16-09-12, 11:04
For me, it is mainly to kill time. I am actively involved in the Management Committee as well. Maybe I will soon find a better way to kill time - for example, learning cooking.

Thanks,
Richard

CondoWE
16-09-12, 12:07
HDB possible especially those who bought it 15-30 yrs ago but private properties are..:beats-me-man: .

DC33_2008
16-09-12, 12:20
Believe properties are buy to be kept especially FH and in good locations like next to mrt, in CBD, erc.

yowetan
16-09-12, 12:25
My objective is to buy properties and preserve, building wealth from the fundamentals (Roof) and provide for my two children.

In future, the children will have an advantage base to reach out their next objective(s) respectively.

Regulators
16-09-12, 13:02
properties should not be invested for kids, they should learn things the hard way. I will just give kids a gd education and how they shape their destiny later is up to them

DC33_2008
16-09-12, 13:04
What do you do with your wealth when passes on. All donate to charity?
properties should not be invested for kids, they should learn things the hard way. I will just give kids a gd education and how they shape their destiny later is up to them

Laguna
16-09-12, 13:07
The best investment I have is the investment in my children education. It is pointless to give them properties and money if they cannot manage and it could be even worst...easy money come and easy go...

My objectives in investment in properties
1. growing my wealth for my earlier retirement and for my children
2. stable and constantly source of cash inflow...(not just passive income)
3. enjoy the growth of my wealth...ie spend the money...

Regulators
16-09-12, 13:22
20% to kids, 80% to charity n religious cause
What do you do with your wealth when passes on. All donate to charity?

CondoWE
16-09-12, 15:41
The best investment I have is the investment in my children education. ..

Children education is the fundamental needs :D . Teaching them how to fish a fish rather than give them a fish is a must...:rolleyes:

20% to kids, 80% to charity n religious cause

I'm not so noble.. would only pass all to my kid..:old-chinese-guy: !

hyenergix
16-09-12, 15:45
Children education is the fundamental needs :D . Teaching them how to fish a fish rather than give them a fish is a must...:rolleyes:

Nowadays knowing how to fish is one thing. Got fish in e water is another thing, bcoz they r gradually being rounded up by big fishing boats.

DC33_2008
16-09-12, 15:52
Education to children is the most important but will guide them to use a fishing boat to fish than to use fishing rod. Fish is getting smarter these days.

I'm not so noble.. would only pass all to my kid..:old-chinese-guy: !

phantom_opera
16-09-12, 16:15
To answer the thread starter ... to grow capital @ 7%pa compound growth in the next 20y

Kelonguni
16-09-12, 16:15

Education also not cheap, unless we are referring to enlightenment / special insights or informal education by ourselves. Future university costs are going to be pegged at inflation rates. Do we have assets or tools that is going to be pegged at that rate?

Another question: has the price of education fallen in any year in our history, or any developed nation's history, based on the country's currency? Not that I know of.

CondoWE
16-09-12, 16:16
Education to children is the most important but will guide them to use a fishing boat to fish than to use fishing rod. Fish is getting smarter these days.

True..but better use radar to source the fishes n net it in group..lol!

Regulators
16-09-12, 16:21
They must learn to fish then slowly progress to owning fishing boat
Nowadays knowing how to fish is one thing. Got fish in e water is another thing, bcoz they r gradually being rounded up by big fishing boats.

DC33_2008
16-09-12, 16:23
Unfortunately Graduates of today do not have time to learn slowly.
They must learn to fish then slowly progress to owning fishing boat

Laguna
16-09-12, 16:33
it is not easy to catch good fish

1. with so much commercial fishing, the fish population is getting so small
2. u need to have good spots to fish...not everywhere can have good catch
3. depends on weather...

so, fishing is very eassssy....but have a harvest of good catch is extremely difficult

Same theory apply...how many children can have harvest of good fish in their life....parents can teach, yes, but no g'tee of good catch

DC33_2008
16-09-12, 16:39
Blame it on the parents DNA. Children In-law can give hell to the family too.

3. depends on weather...

so, fishing is very eassssy....but have a harvest of good catch is extremely difficult

Same theory apply...how many children can have harvest of good fish in their life....parents can teach, yes, but no g'tee of good catch

amk
16-09-12, 16:40

Of course have. So must take profit when it is time.
After that, when y have say a few pties already, your wealth inevitably will go to the next generation... This is the Asian way... So it's not like "invest just for my children", it just ends up being one.
At this stage your concern will be predominantly wealth preservation. The approach is very different.

CondoWE
16-09-12, 16:59

3. depends on weather...

They will never know how to catch a fish if you never teach them. imho, there is nothing in the world is g'tee so 50% of catching a fish is better than none lor :rolleyes: .

DC33_2008
16-09-12, 17:05
Otherwise they may use the illegal way like explosive. We have heard too many well educated people committed crimes. The world is changing from bad to worst. :doh:
They will never know how to catch a fish if you never teach them. imho, there is nothing in the world is g'tee so 50% of catching a fish is better than none lor :rolleyes: .