PDA

View Full Version : Shipping heart transplanted to Tuas

Ringo33
02-10-12, 22:00
City terminals at Tanjong Pagar, Keppel, and Pulau Brani will start making way for residential and commercial purpose in 10 years time. I wonder with this massive supply of land and migration of jobs and businesses to the west, will this create an over supply effect on property prices in southern region, and a boost for property demand in the west.

[SINGAPORE] In about 10 years' time, Singapore will begin transhipment port activities from a very different location: in Tuas, close to the Republic's industrial heart and also international shipping lanes.
All of Singapore's container port activities will be consolidated in a new Tuas Port development that can handle up to 65 million twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs) a year, said Minister of Transport Lui Tuck Yew yesterday.
That is nearly double PSA Singapore terminals' current capacity of 35 million TEUs. It also dwarfs Port of Singapore's record container throughput in 2011 of 29.94 million TEUs.
The first berths at Tuas will begin operations 10 years from now, in time for when Singapore's city terminals at Tanjong Pagar, Keppel, and Pulau Brani, end their leases in 2027.
Singapore has two other existing terminals in Pasir Panjang Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, which were completed in 2010.
"Over the longer term, not only the city terminals but also the Pasir Panjang (terminals) will be eventually merged at Tuas," said Mr Lui.
In the meantime, port operator PSA Singapore is going ahead with Pasir Panjang Terminal Phases 3 and 4. It announced yesterday at a launch ceremony that it will spend $3.5 billion on the expansion project.
Phases 3 and 4 will add 250 hectares of terminal space, as well as 15 new berths and about six kilometres of quay length.
Moreover, they will deepen PSA Singapore's maximum draft to 18 metres from 16 metres to accommodate the new generation of mega-sized containerships which can carry 18,000 twenty-foot containers.
When both phases are ready by 2020, they will add 15 million TEUs of capacity at Singapore's top container handler to 50 million TEUs. That, however, is still 15 million container boxes fewer than what Tuas Port can handle.
Mr Lui, the guest of honour at the launch, said Tuas Port will be developed, like Pasir Panjang Terminal, in phases.
He explained that Tuas Port would free up prime land for re-development.
Centralising all port activities in Tuas will help boost efficiency and economies of scale - elements critical to a transhipment port.
"Currently, we have five container terminals . . . To support transhipment operations, there is often a need to move containers between these terminals by trucks. This adds to the time taken and business costs for port operations, as well as congestions on our roads," Mr Lui said. "Consolidation will eliminate this need for inter-terminal haulage."
Tuas Port will moreover give Singapore a "clean slate" to introduce new technologies and processes to respond to future challenges in shipping such as larger and more complex ships as well as ships powered by liquified natural gas and other alternative fuels, said Mr Lui.
And with Singapore's manpower and land constraints, the new port would have to be more efficient and productive.
Singapore has begun funding research into automating port systems, optimization techniques and technologies under a Port Technology Research and Development Programme launched in April 2011.
"We will be able to deploy some of the outcomes of these projects at Tuas Port," he said.
The future is already part-way here. Pasir Panjang Terminal Phases 3 and 4 will sport automated and efficient port features.
Group CEO of PSA International Tan Chong Meng said an intelligent planning and operation system will manage a fleet of unmanned rail mounted gantry cranes. All cranes at PPT Phases 3 and 4 will run on electricity and are more environmentally-friendly.
"More automation will also mean greater demand for better-trained employees equipped with higher skill sets to manage these advanced operating systems," said Mr Tan.
Fox Chu, Accenture director of ports industry, Asia-Pacific, was positive on PSA Singapore's investment. "PSA Singapore Terminals is among the few terminals in the world with the scale, productivity and management expertise to provide reliable and efficient services to our customers," he said. "To attain its position, PSA has to match, if not surpass, the port investment of other Asia hub ports."

hyenergix
02-10-12, 22:21
There is really not much land in the west for condos, because the area is predominantly zoned for HDBs and heavy industries. Commercial offices should be sprouting out nearby between Jurong East and Jurong West. The positive impact on condo prices in the west will be large.

DC33_2008
02-10-12, 22:39
It is also at the front of D5 too.
There is really not much land in the west for condos, because the area is predominantly zoned for HDBs and heavy industries. Commercial offices should be sprouting out nearby between Jurong East and Jurong West. The positive impact on condo prices in the west will be large.

hyenergix
02-10-12, 22:48

True. More good than bad.

radha08
02-10-12, 22:51
Singapore BOLEH...NOT u know who....:cheers5:

hyenergix
02-10-12, 22:52
West side is rebounding strongly

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/marketanalysis?region=H

carbuncle
03-10-12, 15:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NZ04BG7TfA

Ringo33
03-10-12, 17:48

I am also expecting the westend of D5 to chiong due to the proximity to the JLD. In future, those living in D5 and working in JLD can just cycle to work via park connector, dont even need MRT or bus.

If you noticed, NPark is currently constructing a massive spiral overhead bridge over AYE which connect Pandan side to JLD.

buttercarp
03-10-12, 23:38
If you noticed, NPark is currently constructing a massive spiral overhead bridge over AYE which connect Pandan side to JLD.

LOL.... so it is an overhead bridge.

When I drive pass by, I keep wondering what is that massive construction going on.

CondoWE
04-10-12, 10:45
Must buy more West properties liao....:D !

buttercarp
04-10-12, 11:55
Part of Jurong East St 13 change name to Jurong Gateway Road.
Guess it sounds better, right?

Astronotus oscellatus
04-10-12, 12:18
Currently, drive near Pasir Panjang can be quite nightmarish, especially Clementi Road heading south towards the container port, the descent is quite steep, the container trucks are really fast...all you need is brake failure...recipe for disaster. I try to avoid this direction of travel if I can.

Ringo33
04-10-12, 12:39
LOL.... so it is an overhead bridge.

When I drive pass by, I keep wondering what is that massive construction going on.

this is a one of a kind spiral bridge which enable cyclists to cycle across AYE

http://app.lta.gov.sg/appdata/IBP.pdf

new2mondrian
07-10-12, 10:14
City terminals at Tanjong Pagar, Keppel, and Pulau Brani will start making way for residential and commercial purpose in 10 years time. I wonder with this massive supply of land and migration of jobs and businesses to the west, will this create an over supply effect on property prices in southern region, and a boost for property demand in the west.

Makes room for expansion of the downtown core.... After marina bay financial district, next comes tanjong pagar bay, then keppel bay, then pasir panjang bay...

The amount of waterfront land that becomes available thru this is very significant...

Was thinking of selling one of my two FHs at south buona vista earlier this year... Then first came all the devts that sprung up at One North/Rochestor area. Then came the mapletree business city down the road. Then came the latest CM... Really cannot bring myself to sell anything anymore... Dunno whether good or bad... Lol.

chestnut
07-10-12, 10:35
Makes room for expansion of the downtown core.... After marina bay financial district, next comes tanjong pagar bay, then keppel bay, then pasir panjang bay...

The amount of waterfront land that becomes available thru this is very significant...

Was thinking of selling one of my two FHs at south buona vista earlier this year... Then first came all the devts that sprung up at One North/Rochestor area. Then came the mapletree business city down the road. Then came the latest CM... Really cannot bring myself to sell anything anymore... Dunno whether good or bad... Lol.

Aiyo, last time I say port moving to Tuas, I kanna ham tam until blue black. Now it is happening. Won't let go of my units at pasir panjang. Haha.

carbuncle
07-10-12, 10:53
so now the rumor abt all chickens moving to pp is true...

Rysk
07-10-12, 11:08
Aiyo, last time I say port moving to Tuas, I kanna ham tam until blue black. Now it is happening. Won't let go of my units at pasir panjang. Haha.
The very first plan was.. by the time Tuas is completed.. both Keppel & Pasir Panjang will shift at the same time.

But due to the delay of Tuas project.. our gov has changed their plan by extending Pasir Panjang (project just started over at PPT gate 3) first to cater the increasing volume and at the same time during the transition of Keppel to Tuas in 10-15years time from now. So Pasir Panjang will stay-put first.

The construction of the Tuas project is in phases.. so when the project it is completed.. the whole Pasir Panjang will shift in the future.

chestnut
07-10-12, 11:22
The very first plan was.. by the time Tuas is completed.. both Keppel & Pasir Panjang will shift at the same time.

But due to the delay of Tuas project.. our gov has changed their plan by extending Pasir Panjang (project just started over at PPT gate 3) first to cater the increasing volume and at the same time during the transition of Keppel to Tuas in 10-15years time from now. So Pasir Panjang will stay-put first.

The construction of the Tuas project is in phases.. so when the project it is completed.. the whole Pasir Panjang will shift in the future.

Ya, u mention this a few yr ago, they will laugh at you.

chestnut
07-10-12, 11:28
so now the rumor abt all chickens moving to pp is true...

Wah lao, where you get the rumor. Can link me. I need to see white paper hor. For tuas port, there was white paper. Please pass me link. If potentially true, I don't retire and whack 5 more units in PP. surely price shoot true the roof.

Please forward me link on whie paper or post white paper here hor. Share share lah. If go your your place, you don't like, you can always pm me and I buy from you. Hahaha - serious leh.

blackjack21trader
09-10-12, 13:18

no leh... i believe u what.