PDA

View Full Version : Mix development condo - Pros & Cons

TheIdler
10-10-12, 01:11
Hi all, anyone has experience with those mixed developments ie those condos above retail outlets? Please share

CondoInterested
10-10-12, 06:26
Heard normally shops owners have more votes collectively compare to home owners. So when come to enbloc and any voting for decision shop owners have more say, right?

etsk22
10-10-12, 07:45
Hi all, anyone has experience with those mixed developments ie those condos above retail outlets? Please share

What aspects are u hoping to gather feedback on?

focus
10-10-12, 10:44
Cons :-
Enbloc is quite hard as interests are in conflict.

Anyway, mixed used development outside of CBD is not new. Bukit Timah beauty world and katong lion city.

Ultimately , it's the location that matters. But mixed development add a layer of uncertainty in terms of enbloc.

TheIdler
10-10-12, 10:55
What aspects are u hoping to gather feedback on?

More specifics about living in such a development such as noise, security, smells etc

pengful
10-10-12, 11:05
More specifics about living in such a development such as noise, security, smells etc

Agreed. After the initial marketing hoola-boola about convenience wears off, it is nothing but noise, rubbish and crowd.

leftfield
10-10-12, 11:07
Agreed. After the initial marketing hoola-boola about convenience wears off, it is nothing but noise, rubbish and crowd.

Mix of shop tenants will be a concern. Cant imagine pubs, KTVs, tui na shops and whatever nots operating until ungodly hours.

pinkpolkadot
10-10-12, 11:12
You want to enjoy the amenities, but not stay right in the middle of it.

zeamybro
10-10-12, 11:16
A friend who owns Centris felt insulted when one day he was rushing into a lift lobby meant for residents only, and was questioned by a fellow resident who was doubtful whether he is really a resident, or just a shopper at JP.

carbuncle
10-10-12, 11:54
you already answered your own question.

noise, security, smells

auroraborealis
10-10-12, 12:39
Shld b very ideal for elders... Amenities just at lift button, rain or shine

buttercarp
10-10-12, 12:44
A friend who owns Centris felt insulted when one day he was rushing into a lift lobby meant for residents only, and was questioned by a fellow resident who was doubtful whether he is really a resident, or just a shopper at JP.

Just flash his pass at the doubtful resident, no need to say anything.

focus
10-10-12, 13:31
Just flash his pass at the doubtful resident, no need to say anything.

Why even bother to flash the pass. Just walk into the lift with him/her and go to your house. Best is if he call security.. then you flash.. then you can scold him in front of security

buttercarp
10-10-12, 13:34
Why even bother to flash the pass. Just walk into the lift with him/her and go to your house. Best is if he call security.. then you flash.. then you can scold him in front of security

But it is good to have these type of residents around so that there will be less intruders into the condo.

zeamybro
10-10-12, 13:42
I would think once you step into your house, draw the curtains, turn on the aircon... the feeling shldnt be too much different from any other project. Inner facing units could even open their windows big big just like any other mass market condos... Difference is only when you step out of yr lift lobby to face the shopping crowds. No ...?

zeamybro
10-10-12, 13:44
But it is good to have these type of residents around so that there will be less intruders into the condo.

I think some of the newer mixed development have separate carparks (as in diff storeys) for residents and the public ... so unlikely the public will get the chance to "accidentally" enter the residential lift lobby at the carparks.

august
10-10-12, 13:56
I would think once you step into your house, draw the curtains, turn on the aircon... the feeling shldnt be too much different from any other project. Inner facing units could even open their windows big big just like any other mass market condos... Difference is only when you step out of yr lift lobby to face the shopping crowds. No ...?
actually is a good feeling, knowing that ya kun, McD, cold storage, aircon mall, etc are just conveniently a few floors beneath u. :)

zeamybro
10-10-12, 14:16
actually is a good feeling, knowing that ya kun, McD, cold storage, aircon mall, etc are just conveniently a few floors beneath u. :)

Yeps, there would be ppl who appreciate the convenience, knowing that you can push yr shopping cart directly from the supermarket up to yr door-steps without travelling or crossing any streets.

But there is also another grp of folks who would want to see the greens and parks at their door-steps (lift lobby steps rather), and they would not tolerate the noise and crowds.

At this age i stay pretty neutral towards such development, but as i grow older, my inclination towards either may become stronger.

vip
11-10-12, 16:11
I think this forum has similar discussioins end of last year in the thread "property with shops below on ground floor".

See the link here ->
http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=12476

During the bad time of 2002 and 2005, I have seen owners having more difficulties selling their units from mixed development.

Take into account the following if you would like to consider investing in such units:

1) Singaporeans in general are not that willing to trade off security/privacy with convenience, especially for the affluent.

2) In the case of enbloc, arguments arise over the shares the shop owners are entitled to. Many shops do not want to see relocation that affects their business.

Personally, I think mixed developments benefit the developers more: they can profit from buyers of the residential units and collect rent from the shop tenants. For the shops, developers have the option to rent when the economy is good or sell whenever they feel the timing is right.

sh
11-10-12, 17:53
if the retail units are for sale then it's a no no...:doh: think lucky plaza, city plaza and golden mile.

if the retail units are held and run by established operators like frasers or capitaland, then can consider....