PDA

View Full Version : Colin Tan, NOT cooling measures, in danger of losing credibility

carbuncle
27-10-12, 12:42
Cooling measures in danger of losing credibility
by Colin Tan 04:45 AM Oct 26, 2012
Although it is still early days, many property market watchers are coming to the conclusion that the latest round of Government cooling measures - curbing the tenures of home loans - is having little or no impact.

Some have described them as "very disappointing". Even the knee-jerk reaction that accompanied the previous rounds of cooling measures was missing.

Show flats were packed the day after the Oct 5 announcement, with prospective buyers appearing unfazed by the new measures, even accounting for the fact that the blow could be heavier on the resale market for completed properties rather than on new launches.

Maybe the crowds were there to assess the impact of the measures but there was no denying that sales continued where they left off before the announcement.

It was as though these buyers were convinced that no amount of cooling measures - or at least the way they are being introduced in a calibrated approach - is going to tame this market. In fact, I know of a few potential buyers who, having stayed on the sidelines thus far, are now taking the plunge.

To me, this signals the danger that the cooling measures - both the current ones and those that may be introduced in the future - are fast losing their credibility.

This may have disastrous consequences when we turn our attention to a hitherto unmentioned group of prospective buyers. They have similar housing aspirations as the current buyers but they have so far remained prudent and stayed away from the market, even as they see inflation eating away the value of their cash pile.

The perception that cooling measures are no longer effective - if it takes hold with this group - may yet unleash another and possibly bigger pool of potential buyers on the market, a force that will be much harder to tame.

We all know by now that the historically low interest rates are the main problem and there are no solutions because our open economy means we are at the mercy of decisions made by policy makers elsewhere.

At the moment, greater supply is keeping home prices here stable but at what cost for the market in the future? Some economists have noted that the number of good years enjoyed by the market is usually followed by a similar span of bad years. Personally, I feel supply - both private and public - has already become a problem that will manifest in the future.

If we are reluctant to take a more aggressive approach in crafting property market cooling measures, while at the same time keeping our economy open, then we need to provide investment alternatives, at least something to provide relief to those among us who have remained prudent thus far.

Inflation-linked bonds have been mentioned before but, judging from the difficulties mentioned, there are significant costs.

The borrowing costs for Singapore at present are very low because of the strength and stability of our economy relative to others. To issue bonds at a higher rate - linked to inflation - would mean that the issuer is subsidising the bond holder.

If that is the problem, why not restrict the sale of these bonds to citizens? We can also cap the amount that each citizen can buy and impose a holding period during which the bonds cannot be resold.

There is no lack of infrastructure projects planned for the country right now. Just the construction of the various rail lines criss-crossing the island alone would generate sufficient bonds.

As for the hefty subsidy, is this not a matter of money coming out of one hand and going into the other? Take it as Singaporeans financing their own infrastructure projects. The subsidy may also be worth paying if it prevents the damage a severe real estate market crash can have on our economy.

In any case, the subsidy is for a short period of time. Or don't the authorities believe it themselves when they say that the low interest rate environment is unsustainable in the long run?

Colin Tan is Head of Research & C

carbuncle
27-10-12, 12:43
Colin MTB Tan is the full real name, I think.

ikan bilis
27-10-12, 12:50
MTB = managed to board ??... :D

phantom_opera
27-10-12, 12:53
cooling tan
Ibond was mentioned, hk did it 2y oredi, did it work to tame property market?

carbuncle
27-10-12, 12:54
MTB = managed to board ??... :D

Na... Mainly talking bullshit

carbuncle
27-10-12, 12:55
cooling tan
Ibond was mentioned, hk did it 2y oredi, did it work to tame property market?

Coolin Tan
..... LOL gd one!!!! !

Laguna
27-10-12, 12:56
I am not sure, how the market looking at him after writing so many articles...
and why ST still publishing his articles?

carbuncle
27-10-12, 13:16
I am not sure, how the market looking at him after writing so many articles...
and why ST still publishing his articles?

He was good and sexy in the beginning (like all men are).

Until he became a sore MTB loser. Either that or someone bleached all his shirts and pants.

ikan bilis
27-10-12, 13:31

Until he became a sore MTB loser. Either that or someone bleached all his shirts and pants.

hur ??... sounds like you kena dumped by that :expert: .....

:scared-4:

kane
27-10-12, 13:42
Is he talking in the capacity of a property analyst, central banker or economist? This is one confused article where I don't know what conclusions to draw from.

phantom_opera
27-10-12, 14:00
Is he talking in the capacity of a property analyst, central banker or economist? This is one confused article where I don't know what conclusions to draw from.

I think he is shut out of market by the loan restriction, so obviously now he wants garmen to sell him iBond to fight inflation by pretending that iBond is better than all the past CMs :doh:

carbuncle
27-10-12, 14:10
hur ??... sounds like you kena dumped by that :expert: .....

:scared-4:

Hmm. I prefer to think i have better taste in men.

carbuncle
27-10-12, 14:19
I think he is shut out of market by the loan restriction, so obviously now he wants garmen to sell him iBond to fight inflation by pretending that iBond is better than all the past CMs :doh:

Looking at his photo he does look like in that target middle aged group.

Kelonguni
27-10-12, 14:22
Coolin Tan
..... LOL gd one!!!! !

More like 可怜蛋。。。

phantom_opera
27-10-12, 14:32
record psf almost always by FEO I wonder?? Cooling Tan never propose to manage FEO ?? :D

The Marq 6,215psf :spliff2:

The Cape 2,165psf :not-worthy:

Seahill 1,911psf :not-worthy:

Altez 2,901psf

ECO 1,580psf :eek:

fV 1,716psf

fulcurm 2,374psf

Kovan Regency 1,518psf

ods 1,790psf

reflection 2,470psf

V on Shenton 2,951psf

leesg123
27-10-12, 14:36
Who the hell is Colin Tan? I think our inhouse gurus are way better than him.

carbuncle
27-10-12, 14:41
More like 可怜蛋。。。

LIke!!!!!!!!

focus
27-10-12, 15:29
i read in some article he is setting up a agency called district 65.
But agents in the agency must be trained by his training company..

Laguna
27-10-12, 15:48

This is a different Colin Tan, he has already made millions in properties alr. The way he and his group of people buying properties is scary...

He is charging >$9,000 for his training...

focus
27-10-12, 17:50
This is a different Colin Tan, he has already made millions in properties alr. The way he and his group of people buying properties is scary...

He is charging >$9,000 for his training...

paisay.. Don't scold me for saying it without confirming it is the same person :P

Ok, I post the link up ..
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/property-management-news/2012/10/34434/top-property-sales-trainer-to-launch-own-agency

newbie11
27-10-12, 18:09
Different guys with same name

wind30
27-10-12, 18:54
actually I think the guy make sense.

I was telling my colleagues that the only person able to get us out of this mess is the government...

If you think about it, when the property bubble appears, does those people who stayed in the sidelines win at the end??? NO, then the bubble burst, the government bails out the property sector with whose money?? When the economy tanks after the bubble burst, who loses their jobs?? From a layman point of view, even the prudent should try to make some money out of this while it last, especially if the government is not doing anything.

The only person who should and is able to do something is the government. But the point is the government will not want to be seen bursting the bubble as it will cost them votes even though it is the right thing to do.

I thought the bond thing is a good idea. The government can sell land at record prices now to developers and use those money to fund bond. Actually the BEST case scenario for government is to kill the developers :)

august
27-10-12, 19:46
Coolin Tan, that's funny. :D

phantom_opera
27-10-12, 19:49
obviously ... some other ppl beg to differ:

In a recent commentary, Straits Times Editor Sumiko Tan described what she called ‘Singapore’s Golden Age’, with references to Singapore’s impressive skyline, boasting an array of new developments like Marina Bay Sands, Gardens by the Bay and the Singapore Flyer, just to name a few.

Citing statistics and surveys, Tan implied that the city-state must be doing something right and is attracting many foreigners to come and work here.

She further stated: “Property is a national preoccupation, but it’s not whether you can afford a roof over your head that Singaporeans fret about. It’s whether or not to get a second property to invest in.”

radha08
27-10-12, 19:54

bRO control bro control we MEN should look at WOMANS ASS-SETS...:D:D:D

Laguna
27-10-12, 19:56
She further stated: “Property is a national preoccupation, but it’s not whether you can afford a roof over your head that Singaporeans fret about. It’s whether or not to get a second property to invest in.”

this woman, most of the time, writing on small women matters, hushand matters, and now also on properties....

minority
27-10-12, 22:31
I dont see wats everyone wining abt.. dont buy a house then! go stay with ur parents.. go buy HDB if have to.

If the pple want to buy no curb can stop them. unless u shoot the buyers on the spot.

So just let those who want to buy buy those who heed the CM fine..

Allthepies
27-10-12, 22:38

I was telling my colleagues that the only person able to get us out of this mess is the government...

If you think about it, when the property bubble appears, does those people who stayed in the sidelines win at the end??? NO, then the bubble burst, the government bails out the property sector with whose money?? When the economy tanks after the bubble burst, who loses their jobs?? From a layman point of view, even the prudent should try to make some money out of this while it last, especially if the government is not doing anything.

The only person who should and is able to do something is the government. But the point is the government will not want to be seen bursting the bubble as it will cost them votes even though it is the right thing to do.

I thought the bond thing is a good idea. The government can sell land at record prices now to developers and use those money to fund bond. Actually the BEST case scenario for government is to kill the developers :)

Ha ha wat can the government do to stop people from buying? Jail people when they buy? Remember we always screaming for democracy? If you know there is a bubble and you still buy, who's fault is it?

Anyway, the series of CM are there to protect the system for collapsing if there is really a bubble. Don't worry!

kane
28-10-12, 01:03

impossible for them to kill the developers.:p

phantom_opera
28-10-12, 08:20
this woman, most of the time, writing on small women matters, hushand matters, and now also on properties....
She talked about pet dogs vs children today, pet dog index and fertility rate go opposite direction

radha08
28-10-12, 14:56
Ha ha wat can the government do to stop people from buying? Jail people when they buy? Remember we always screaming for democracy? If you know there is a bubble and you still buy, who's fault is it?

Anyway, the series of CM are there to protect the system for collapsing if there is really a bubble. Don't worry!

Very true...

Kelonguni
28-10-12, 15:21
impossible for them to kill the developers.:p

Why would they do that? Developers:

- bid high prices that go into national coffers

- help draw more taxes in many forms, SSD, ABSD, Property taxes etc...

- support economy, growth, development, and employment

The Govt actually should back developers and only allow those who can afford to buy at sustainable prices, which they are doing.

carbuncle
28-10-12, 16:07
obviously ... some other ppl beg to differ:

In a recent commentary, Straits Times Editor Sumiko Tan described what she called ‘Singapore’s Golden Age’, with references to Singapore’s impressive skyline, boasting an array of new developments like Marina Bay Sands, Gardens by the Bay and the Singapore Flyer, just to name a few.

Citing statistics and surveys, Tan implied that the city-state must be doing something right and is attracting many foreigners to come and work here.

Sumiko has always been pro white

carbuncle
28-10-12, 16:08
bRO control bro control we MEN should look at WOMANS ASS-SETS...:D:D:D

I prefer returns of those phantom men-ass