PDA

View Full Version : The lesson of Spain’s property bubble

vip
01-11-12, 17:01
http://propertysoul.com/2012/10/31/the-lesson-of-spains-property-bubble/

The lesson of Spain’s property bubble

October 31, 2012

Looking for overseas properties?

Forget about Malaysia, Hong Kong, Australia, UK, or even US. Europeans are now making their property buying trips to Spain.

Fancy a posh rental apartment in Madrid?

What about a vacation home in Costa del Sol? (It’s the authentic sunny coast south of Spain, not the Singapore sound-alike, ok?)

Why not? Prices have been slaughtered to 70 percent discount off their peak in 2008 — a bargain even to the most value-conscious investor.

Local banks are ready to offer mortgages with high loan-to-value ratio. Buyers can borrow up to 90 percent of the purchase price, coupled with very low monthly repayment for a 40 to 50-year mortgage.

No?

Do you know that Spain was once a prominent nation in Europe?

With booming tourism and agriculture industries, the rapid economic growth of the country was a ‘Spanish miracle’ in the eyes of Europeans. Spain’s per capita income is above the average of other EU countries. In 2008, its €1 trillion economy is the 5th largest in Europe and 12th largest in the world.

So what happens to the Spain success story?

Remember back in the early 2000s, when Spain joined the EU and converted its currency to euro, it started lowering the country’s interest rates.

With the availability of historically low-interest housing loans, properties became very attractive. Local banks were willing to lend money to any property developer or buyer.

With ready loans, many young people left their parents’ home to buy their own place. That was the kick start of the property bubble.

It was not just the locals. Foreign investors also found Spain a property paradise.

From 2000 to 2008, foreigners and their investment funds flocked to Spain. In the same period, the Spanish population rises from 40 million to 47 million, an astonishing 17.5% increase in total population.

Daniel Talavera, a Spanish journalist and property investor himself, described what buyers experienced at that time,

“… it was very difficult to bargain on price, since the market trend was ever-increasing price rises — ‘if you do not buy now, in 3 – 6 months, the price will be 5% – 8% higher, or even 10% more expensive …’ That was the belief, and so any asking price was accepted.”

From 2000 to right before the crash in 2008, property prices snowballs to almost 2.5 times (Property Price Index rises from 150 to 375).

Not long ago, between 1985 and 1991, housing prices nearly tripled. History is repeating itself again!

(Low interest rate, long-period housing loans, population growth, foreigners, foreign funds, historical high prices … do these phrases sound familiar to you?)

The speculative real estate market was so lucrative that young people all jumped on the bandwagon. Many simply dropped out of schools to find work in the property market.

That explained why youth unemployment shoots up to 51 percent when the property bubble pops. The latest overall unemployment of the country now stands at 24 percent.

When the economy tumbles, both foreigners and Spanish citizens leave in droves to find employment in other countries. For just the first half of this year, 228,890 foreigners and 40,625 citizens left Spain in a short 6-month period.

Between 2nd quarter of 2011 and 2nd quarter of 2012, in just one year’s time, property prices in Spain have fallen 11.5 percent. Barcelona alone sees property prices drop 40 percent since the sub-prime crisis. Prices have actually gone back to the 2003 level.

Unfortunately, foreclosures in Spain are accounted for only 60 percent of the housing loan. That means, even after being evicted by their banks, many people are still liable to the debts of their previous homes they no longer own.

With two million vacant homes and countless ‘ghost towns’ across the country, the Spanish property market is far from bottoming out.

So, a luxurious villa in Spain for retirement, anyone?

phantom_opera
01-11-12, 17:13
功盖三分国, 名成八阵图。
江流石不转, 遗恨失吞吴。

auroraborealis
01-11-12, 17:31
thank you, a very good read & for us to bear in mind

http://propertysoul.com/2012/10/31/the-lesson-of-spains-property-bubble/

The lesson of Spain’s property bubble

October 31, 2012

Looking for overseas properties?

Forget about Malaysia, Hong Kong, Australia, UK, or even US. Europeans are now making their property buying trips to Spain.

Fancy a posh rental apartment in Madrid?

What about a vacation home in Costa del Sol? (It’s the authentic sunny coast south of Spain, not the Singapore sound-alike, ok?)

Why not? Prices have been slaughtered to 70 percent discount off their peak in 2008 — a bargain even to the most value-conscious investor.

Local banks are ready to offer mortgages with high loan-to-value ratio. Buyers can borrow up to 90 percent of the purchase price, coupled with very low monthly repayment for a 40 to 50-year mortgage.

No?

Do you know that Spain was once a prominent nation in Europe?

With booming tourism and agriculture industries, the rapid economic growth of the country was a ‘Spanish miracle’ in the eyes of Europeans. Spain’s per capita income is above the average of other EU countries. In 2008, its €1 trillion economy is the 5th largest in Europe and 12th largest in the world.

So what happens to the Spain success story?

Remember back in the early 2000s, when Spain joined the EU and converted its currency to euro, it started lowering the country’s interest rates.

With the availability of historically low-interest housing loans, properties became very attractive. Local banks were willing to lend money to any property developer or buyer.

With ready loans, many young people left their parents’ home to buy their own place. That was the kick start of the property bubble.

It was not just the locals. Foreign investors also found Spain a property paradise.

From 2000 to 2008, foreigners and their investment funds flocked to Spain. In the same period, the Spanish population rises from 40 million to 47 million, an astonishing 17.5% increase in total population.

Daniel Talavera, a Spanish journalist and property investor himself, described what buyers experienced at that time,

“… it was very difficult to bargain on price, since the market trend was ever-increasing price rises — ‘if you do not buy now, in 3 – 6 months, the price will be 5% – 8% higher, or even 10% more expensive …’ That was the belief, and so any asking price was accepted.”

From 2000 to right before the crash in 2008, property prices snowballs to almost 2.5 times (Property Price Index rises from 150 to 375).

Not long ago, between 1985 and 1991, housing prices nearly tripled. History is repeating itself again!

(Low interest rate, long-period housing loans, population growth, foreigners, foreign funds, historical high prices … do these phrases sound familiar to you?)

The speculative real estate market was so lucrative that young people all jumped on the bandwagon. Many simply dropped out of schools to find work in the property market.

That explained why youth unemployment shoots up to 51 percent when the property bubble pops. The latest overall unemployment of the country now stands at 24 percent.

When the economy tumbles, both foreigners and Spanish citizens leave in droves to find employment in other countries. For just the first half of this year, 228,890 foreigners and 40,625 citizens left Spain in a short 6-month period.

Between 2nd quarter of 2011 and 2nd quarter of 2012, in just one year’s time, property prices in Spain have fallen 11.5 percent. Barcelona alone sees property prices drop 40 percent since the sub-prime crisis. Prices have actually gone back to the 2003 level.

Unfortunately, foreclosures in Spain are accounted for only 60 percent of the housing loan. That means, even after being evicted by their banks, many people are still liable to the debts of their previous homes they no longer own.

With two million vacant homes and countless ‘ghost towns’ across the country, the Spanish property market is far from bottoming out.

So, a luxurious villa in Spain for retirement, anyone?

vip
01-11-12, 17:50
功盖三分国, 名成八阵图。
江流石不转, 遗恨失吞吴。

留得青山在, 哪怕没柴烧

vip
01-11-12, 19:16
功盖三分国, 名成八阵图。
江流石不转, 遗恨失吞吴。

天长地久有时尽,此恨绵绵无绝期

East Lover
01-11-12, 19:45
功盖三分国, 名成八阵图。
江流石不转, 遗恨失吞吴。
诸葛亮在西班牙?:D

phantom_opera
01-11-12, 19:48
诸葛亮在西班牙?:D
Applicable to lky too?

PN
01-11-12, 19:52
天长地久有时尽,此恨绵绵无绝期

家常饭菜那里找,就在家里厨房找。
每天有饭吃真好,有菜有肉还有汤。

Just taken my dinner. 真好. :D:D:D

roly8
01-11-12, 20:12
留得青山在, 哪怕没柴烧

vip, i always thought you are eurasian...

how come know chinese? :scared-4::scared-4:

btw, what is the leasehold in spain?

radha08
01-11-12, 20:24
whatever u do dont wear red in spain...got many bulls there....:scared-1:

Laguna
01-11-12, 20:32
well, I can take a break from writing poems....everyone writes so well.

Spain property market started crashing as early as 2007, the over supply was so huge, and the price came down very fast, like Dubai, is another place.

Draven005
01-11-12, 21:03
Singapore is very safe and very far from forming a bubble because of Cooling Measures. Now, we are buying to stay not to rent or speculate. So no way we are heading for a crisis like Spain.

As for investing in Spain, i wont encourage this as my EU friends are transferring their funds to Singapore - a perceived safe place to park their money. One of them ask me whether he would be stopped at the airport if he carried $200K EUR. of course, i advise him to declare any amount of 30K SGD and above.

roly8
01-11-12, 21:31
Singapore is very safe and very far from forming a bubble because of Cooling Measures. Now, we are buying to stay not to rent or speculate. So no way we are heading for a crisis like Spain.

As for investing in Spain, i wont encourage this as my EU friends are transferring their funds to Singapore - a perceived safe place to park their money. One of them ask me whether he would be stopped at the airport if he carried $200K EUR. of course, i advise him to declare any amount of 30K SGD and above.

so true :o:o

what are you EU friends doing here? looking for a job?

chiaberry
01-11-12, 21:35
The Costa del Sol has been overbuilt since the early 1990s. I went there to play golf a few times and there were so many BUC even then.

chestnut
01-11-12, 21:36
whatever u do dont wear red in spain...got many bulls there....:scared-1:

Bro, they stop bull fight in Barcelona already and only bull fight is in Madrid. Very soon it is no more. Was in Barcelona during winter 2 yrs ago, so no bull fight:(

chestnut
01-11-12, 21:39
The Costa del Sol has been overbuilt since the early 1990s. I went there to play golf a few times and there were so many BUC even then.

Huh? Championship golf cours there? As good as sentosa or tmcc or not?
Oh, u talking about driving range. Sorri, wrong number.
Joke hor, now after office hr.

roly8
01-11-12, 21:39
Bro, they stop bull fight in Barcelona already and only bull fight is in Madrid. Very soon it is no more. Was in Barcelona during winter 2 yrs ago, so no bull fight:(

still got bullfight during very cold weather meh?

nice experience there...

chestnut
01-11-12, 22:15
still got bullfight during very cold weather meh?

Bro, no bull fight in winter. Did u not see my sad :( .

Now I must plan a trip to Madrid to see it before it disappears.

But if u go Barcelona and see gaudi's architecture, wa lao, super impressive. After that trip, I begin to admire reflections. Almost got a unit in sky habitat.

Laguna
01-11-12, 22:25
Bro, no bull fight in winter. Did u not see my sad :( .

Now I must plan a trip to Madrid to see it before it disappears.

But if u go Barcelona and see gaudi's architecture, wa lao, super impressive. After that trip, I begin to admire reflections. Almost got a unit in sky habitat.

u enjoy? so bloody and the poor bull......

chestnut
01-11-12, 22:30
u enjoy? so bloody and the poor bull......

My theory in life.

Look see look see to experience. So I do not know if I will enjoy until I see and I better do it before it gets banned. Now only left Madrid.

vip
01-11-12, 23:11
Well, for Singapore, never say never.

Visited Madrid in 2004 for business. Everyone was so bullish about properties at that time. Who can imagine things can change overnight?

Personally, I think Madrid has more potential. It's more happening. Their museums and galleries are impressive. Their tapas, risotto and hot chocolate are heavenly too.

Make a trip there. Guys will be happy to see Real Madrid live. Ladies will love to see handsome guys in the street (Madrid has been voted one of the "Top Ten Cities with the World's Best Looking Men" by Traveler's Digest. I totally agree except Madrid should occupy the top place!)

For me, I will definitely make a shopping trip there - when the euro collapses and European countries fall back to their original currencies (Margaret Thatcher will be the 1st one to say "I told you!").

chiaberry
01-11-12, 23:11
Huh? Championship golf cours there? As good as sentosa or tmcc or not?
Oh, u talking about driving range. Sorri, wrong number.
Joke hor, now after office hr.

There is Valderrama where one of the Ryder Cups was played. But I didn't play there as the green fees are super ex and I don't think worth the money since we are not serious golfers and play for fun (and drinks) only.

Last year we went and we enjoyed the courses. One of the most spectacular was Alcaidesa - links course by the sea with superb views of the Rock of Gibraltar, very windy which makes it even more challenging. It was comparable to Sentosa but the weather is much better - cooling and not humid. We pulled trolley for 18 holes but regretted it in the 2nd nine as it was very hilly but it was a good workout anyway.

http://eng.golfalcaidesa.es/

This one was like TMCC but got mountain views:

http://www.flamingosgolf.com/

There are many golf courses on the Costa del Sol. You cannot finish playing. You can get cheaper green fees than those advertised on the websites by booking online or by booking through agents there who buy in bulk from the individual courses.

The environment there is very good for a holiday - non-golfers also have a lot of options.

The risotto is over-rated (our guys didn't like the slightly "wet" rice). Seafood and meat is good.

The down-side is the long travelling time.

radha08
02-11-12, 00:08
singapore got hdb coe mrt cov :cool:...ecp pie bke...erp...:scared-1:..all translates to $$$$

chestnut
02-11-12, 06:37
Sis chiaberry, we u really love golf. So which is the golf course is to die for in the world? This one is the acid test to determine how crazy over golf u are.

Make it easier for u. Choose one:
1. St Andrews (home of golf)
2. Augusta National (masters)

:cheers1:

KopKing
02-11-12, 06:49
this is spookily similar to Singapore and Asia................

blackapple
02-11-12, 07:39
this is spookily similar to Singapore and Asia................

But every government in Asia implementing CM. Think if we can see it they should.. My bet for the next CM is on people on Multi properties or the rich..

Draven005
02-11-12, 09:32
Just to give details.

They have stable jobs in the EU and not looking to relocate but they are here on short work assignments. Traditionally, they prefer NOT to work overseas or outside the EU. However, they travel here because of work requirement as the Asia Pacific is a important business location.

Their worry arise from Euro currency devaluation. They just want to preserve the original value of their savings by converting to a stable currency like SGD and bring the cash to a tax haven or low tax country. Simple people with simple ideas.

so true :o:o

what are you EU friends doing here? looking for a job?