PDA

View Full Version : Seriously are we building TOO many apartments..

radha08
11-11-12, 23:53
I have a gut feeling something is NOT right....build build build and build....everywhere u look there is something coming up....is singapore doing the RIGHT thing...if everybody is buying to rent out then who is going to rent...if everybody is buying to stay then when they need to sell their old apt when their new apt TOP.. who will buy from them...:confused: ...i seriously feel something is NOT right...not trying to stir anything and this topic has been discussed a MILLION times...but like i said "Seriously are we building too many apts....:beats-me-man:

Arcachon
12-11-12, 00:11
I have a gut feeling something is NOT right....build build build and build....everywhere u look there is something coming up....is singapore doing the RIGHT thing...if everybody is buying to rent out then who is going to rent...if everybody is buying to stay then when they need to sell their old apt when their new apt TOP.. who will buy from them...:confused: ...i seriously feel something is NOT right...not trying to stir anything and this topic has been discussed a MILLION times...but like i said "Seriously are we building too many apts....:beats-me-man:

If I tell you I am printing 40 Billion a month, do you think it alright.

So at the end of the day, if half way round the world someone is printing money like no tomorrow do you think we should not build more apartment. Where do you think is the money going into, somebody back yard.

leesg123
12-11-12, 00:39
I have a gut feeling something is NOT right....build build build and build....everywhere u look there is something coming up....is singapore doing the RIGHT thing...if everybody is buying to rent out then who is going to rent...if everybody is buying to stay then when they need to sell their old apt when their new apt TOP.. who will buy from them...:confused: ...i seriously feel something is NOT right...not trying to stir anything and this topic has been discussed a MILLION times...but like i said "Seriously are we building too many apts....:beats-me-man:but you got to consider the number of old apartments demolished too (enbloc).

dtrax
12-11-12, 01:05
again, here are the stats I compiled previously:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8434/7875003300_71ac496aad_k.jpg

Figures dun lie..

dtrax
12-11-12, 01:07
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8006/6990032222_df403f6a3a_z.jpg

"no horse run" statistics

radha08
12-11-12, 01:18
i guess on paper all looks ok...plus yes i know there is a lot of $$$ around..but just a thought cos every where i look i see new building coming up...plus reading the papers so many new devts for sale..i guess must be ok...otherwise govt will not launch so much land for sale...:rolleyes:

Leeds
12-11-12, 04:15
Invest with your EYES and not with your MIND and you will be alright.

radha08
12-11-12, 04:22

Wow wise words..at 5am in the morning my eyes are
Half closed and mind not thinking....guess not tine to
Invest....:sleep:

Laguna
12-11-12, 06:26
again, here are the stats I compiled previously:

Figures dun lie..

thanks for all these
First the pic are small, and second is the stats trying to convine?

Allthepies
12-11-12, 06:44
if singapore continues to progress then it is ok, if lorries after lorries of MNC move out of Singapore, then game is over.

danntbt
12-11-12, 06:55
.....our ageing population is growing, to support the old, we need the youngs...as we add (import) more youngs - whom will be old one day..........the cycle continues.....Singapore population 2040 - 10 million?

roly8
12-11-12, 06:59
as long as singapore open up it's arms w/ attractive business incentive ... i doubt the sg economy will crash ..

but that will also mean foreigners > true blue singaporean scenario very soon.

samuelk
12-11-12, 07:23
as long as singapore open up it's arms w/ attractive business incentive ... i doubt the sg economy will crash ..

but that will also mean foreigners > true blue singaporean scenario very soon.
but what is the solution?

I know the mass majority is saying we need quality people not average indivual that the poly / ite is churnng out.

I feel the need to push the local mindset to change as well as a major shift in pre employent traning maybe required. Else a major revamp of how HR actually work is required.

roly8
12-11-12, 07:32
singapore is like 'upgrade' one level up now..

more quality citizens & workers here...

but also mean higher cost of living :o

kane
12-11-12, 07:45
If they don't keep building, how are they to keep up with population growth and other foreign investors desire to have a spare home here?

alamak
12-11-12, 07:50
but you got to consider the number of old apartments demolished too (enbloc).

Yeap but for every block of 4 big units torn down they created at least 20 units ( 5 folds ). That is mushrooms sprouting everywhere .. :doh:

Not forgetting Singapore is like UAE or kuwait when the party is about over any time the FT and PR and new citizen with dual citizenships (at least 50% population) they will pack up and leave for home ... leaving all the craps and rubbish for you to clear ..

Pls be mindful of that ..:banghead:

kane
12-11-12, 07:56
For every one that leaves. They could bring in2-3 more.

roly8
12-11-12, 07:58
it is the asian century..

but companies prefer setup office in shanghai, imo :o

alamak
12-11-12, 08:02

Actually the same thing as dabbling in the Stock market, see what is happening NOT What you WANT or WISH it to happen ... :cheers2:

carbuncle
12-11-12, 09:09
if u base purely on walking the grounds, post Lehman I walked around t kurau, see many small development empty units.

today, empty units may simply mean investor holding long term for capital gains. got rented or not is secondary to them.

chestnut
12-11-12, 09:30
In good times, there will be more buyers than sellers.
In bad times, there will be more sellers than buyers.

It is such a simple equation. Hahahahaha.

Just dont ask me when to go in and when to get out. U guys figure it out.

Ask someone who bot a semi d in 1980s for 300k and sold for 600K if he expected the price of his semi-d to reach 4Mil today, and he would have told you - you "seow".

In 1990s, ask someone whose semi-d was worth 1.5 Mil if he tot his semi-d would be worth 4mil today, he tell you - you "seow"

In 2000s, tell someone his semi-d worth 2.5 mil will go to 4 mil. He tell you - you "seow".

Will it go up some more - No comments. Buy at your own risk. If I so sure, I will buy 10 houses today... Hahahahaha:cheers3:

phantom_opera
12-11-12, 09:32
if u base purely on walking the grounds, post Lehman I walked around t kurau, see many small development empty units.

today, empty units may simply mean investor holding long term for capital gains. got rented or not is secondary to them.

Exactly, I am too tired to explain again and again ... bro radha ... property cannot be worse than gold right?

Cannot rent out just lower your rental expectation loh, HDB already 3k per month

chestnut
12-11-12, 09:38
Exactly, I am too tired to explain again and again ... bro radha ... property cannot be worse than gold right?

Cannot rent out just lower your rental expectation loh, HDB already 3k per month

Bro, I understand how Radha feel... He is thinking, 1 wrong move, liao - that's it. When you young, can take risk. When u older, your mindset totally different.

Bro Radha, maybe i wrong in thinking like this???? Hahaha Who am I to know what he think???? Hahaha Afterall I have never met him... Hahahaha

OK, forget I said anything....

:cheers3:

phantom_opera
12-11-12, 09:50
Bro, I understand how Radha feel... He is thinking, 1 wrong move, liao - that's it. When you young, can take risk. When u older, your mindset totally different.

Bro Radha, maybe i wrong in thinking like this???? Hahaha Who am I to know what he think???? Hahaha Afterall I have never met him... Hahahaha

bro, that's why MM/1br will be popular, it allows u to take smaller amount of risk to hedge against excessive money printing by central banks .. bro radha should really just get an MM ... how about the Tanah Merah upcoming Fragrance launch

chestnut
12-11-12, 09:56
bro, that's why MM/1br will be popular, it allows u to take smaller amount of risk to hedge against excessive money printing by central banks .. bro radha should really just get an MM ... how about the Tanah Merah upcoming Fragrance launch

Bro, 80/20 rule..... If not you will see 80% private, 20% hdb...

We have been trained not to think in school... You speak up, teacher tell u - why u ask stupid questions.... That's why singaporeans dare not speak up.

So 80% worker bees.... Only work and work and work.... put money in bank.

20% invest like crazy, understand the system and use to their advantage.

So sad but so true. Thats why I come to this forum to share, share. But at the end, investment up to the individual. It's their money ma.

I dont encourage, nor do I discourage. I just share, share.....Because they have certain risk profile and also I do not know how much they earn or have in savings.... Neither do I want to know....
My own investment already sucking up so much of my time, I dont want to be a financial advisor man.

Cheers....:cheers3:

Rysk
12-11-12, 09:58

Having to said that.. Base on ptyguru.. I do notice D15 have much more units for sales than before.. I think is abit over supply over that area

eng81157
12-11-12, 10:09
please keep in mind that our country's population target is 6m.....though the time-frame by which it is suppose to happen isn't known

radha08
12-11-12, 11:25

tks bro i also say...but the sad thing about marriage...most of time what you want your other half dont want..my wife say next home we buy is for family stay....:o...no more shifting house after that:o...we ever go showroom see 1bedder before she never step inside....thats why very hard to make decision ...BUC apt OCR 3-bedder below 1-mil is my target :)...i know there are HEAPS but mine got to be a little special...:D

radha08
12-11-12, 11:27

you are right and my mind almost made up to take the plunge...:scared-3:

Trigger
12-11-12, 11:31
Like any investment decision, it would depend on the risk profile of the individual. Even between people who agree now is a good time to buy, the eventual outcome may be different depending the development or units bought. Perhaps its not a question of whether there are too many apartments, but rather how the one you are vested in will be able to compete with the others.

gn108
12-11-12, 11:45
You have it bro...
Strength to hold, historical purchase price and product differentiation all relevant during more 'testing' time of either lower prices or chasing rentals.

Like any investment decision, it would depend on the risk profile of the individual. Even between people who agree now is a good time to buy, the eventual outcome may be different depending the development or units bought. Perhaps its not a question of whether there are too many apartments, but rather how the one you are vested in will be able to compete with the others.

Trigger
12-11-12, 11:55
You have it bro...
Strength to hold, historical purchase price and product differentiation all relevant during more 'testing' time of either lower prices or chasing rentals.

I guess that's what this forum is for. To help people make (hopefully) better informed decisions.

samuelk
12-11-12, 12:22
In good times, there will be more buyers than sellers.
In bad times, there will be more sellers than buyers.

It is such a simple equation. Hahahahaha.

Just dont ask me when to go in and when to get out. U guys figure it out.

Ask someone who bot a semi d in 1980s for 300k and sold for 600K if he expected the price of his semi-d to reach 4Mil today, and he would have told you - you "seow".

In 1990s, ask someone whose semi-d was worth 1.5 Mil if he tot his semi-d would be worth 4mil today, he tell you - you "seow"

In 2000s, tell someone his semi-d worth 2.5 mil will go to 4 mil. He tell you - you "seow".

Will it go up some more - No comments. Buy at your own risk. If I so sure, I will buy 10 houses today... Hahahahaha:cheers3:

worst part I'd, at all those point in time the seller mudt be thinkng that the bubble is forming but it contiinue to grow.

to me, the ultimate bubble is the hdb when it hit one mil. But then again, I m a small time investor who still have much to learn

phantom_opera
12-11-12, 13:40
tks bro i also say...but the sad thing about marriage...most of time what you want your other half dont want..my wife say next home we buy is for family stay....:o...no more shifting house after that:o...we ever go showroom see 1bedder before she never step inside....thats why very hard to make decision ...BUC apt OCR 3-bedder below 1-mil is my target :)...i know there are HEAPS but mine got to be a little special...:D

yes, execution is the hard part, I fully understand :D

carbuncle
12-11-12, 16:04
i think bro radhaha beoing WV

chestnut
12-11-12, 16:19
i think bro radhaha beoing WV

Only left less than 25 units and mostly on stack 35 according to my agent.

I not agent hor.....

So funny, my agent tell me - your unit 2 bedroom face quarry and master face quarry and bedok reservoir... Then I huh??? Really didnt even know. Hahahaha... See what kind of buyer I am??? Blur like sotong.

DKSG
12-11-12, 17:29
Only left less than 25 units and mostly on stack 35 according to my agent.

I not agent hor.....

So funny, my agent tell me - your unit 2 bedroom face quarry and master face quarry and bedok reservoir... Then I huh??? Really didnt even know. Hahahaha... See what kind of buyer I am??? Blur like sotong.

Nut Nut,

This is not call blur .. this is call buy too many liao!
Losing focus on small details.

Next time you probably ask : $2 mil plus a bit har? Ok! Get the OTP out pls!

Haha!

For Office Boy like myself, every purchase is precious, so check this check that, benchmark rentals, check facing of EVERY room, sometimes check until unit also sold liao, but no choice lor... I always tell people, how many units can you buy ? if you can buy 1 or 2 units, then you better check everything properly.

DKSG

kane
12-11-12, 17:38
Chestnut, were you trying to focus on avoiding the west sun facing units?

chestnut
12-11-12, 17:50
Chestnut, were you trying to focus on avoiding the west sun facing units?

Bro, mine face west sun. Tell u the joke. Ent know why all those facing something nice always face west... And I admit. I was late to go in. So all tHe reservoir view got snapped up. I think east lover one got better view then mine.

I calculate the roi, ok wat... So just ask I simple question. Which one u recommend? Same agent who sold me clover.

Today I text her to find out how many units. She say less than 25. Not that it matters. Because zeemybro got info lor. So I wanted to share more accurate info.

chestnut
12-11-12, 17:55
DKSG, u damn cute. But u are rite to a certain degree. People ask me unit number for the condo. I give them this look :confused:

Cannot remember. Serious. U ask me my unit for Melbourne prop, I again give u this look :confused:

Tell u, my tenant did not pay me 3 months on I of the unit, I didn't even know. I check my acc one day, huh?? Why never pay???

Call my agent and tell him. He give me this look :confused: :confused:
Then he said. Wah, first time I encounter a landlord like u. Please keep track hor. You do so late, I chase also headache. So now adays, I LL, every month check. Wat a joke.

Every year do tax, headache... Call bank, call iras, call mgmt off, aiyo. Take me 1 damn day.

Hahaha.... Happy problem lah.... Now trying to be more organized.

Happy hunting guys....

Nut Nut,

This is not call blur .. this is call buy too many liao!
Losing focus on small details.

Next time you probably ask : $2 mil plus a bit har? Ok! Get the OTP out pls!

Haha!

For Office Boy like myself, every purchase is precious, so check this check that, benchmark rentals, check facing of EVERY room, sometimes check until unit also sold liao, but no choice lor... I always tell people, how many units can you buy ? if you can buy 1 or 2 units, then you better check everything properly.

DKSG

newbie11
12-11-12, 20:57
Having to said that.. Base on ptyguru.. I do notice D15 have much more units for sales than before.. I think is abit over supply over that area
D9-11 too. Negative yield at today's prices.. While d15 can find decent buys along meyer

radha08
12-11-12, 21:40
D9-11 too. Negative yield at today's prices.. While d15 can find decent buys along meyer

bro you are in the loan business what is your view on the prop mkt going forward...:rolleyes:

kane
12-11-12, 22:29
Bro, mine face west sun. Tell u the joke. Ent know why all those facing something nice always face west... And I admit. I was late to go in. So all tHe reservoir view got snapped up. I think east lover one got better view then mine.

I calculate the roi, ok wat... So just ask I simple question. Which one u recommend? Same agent who sold me clover.

Today I text her to find out how many units. She say less than 25. Not that it matters. Because zeemybro got info lor. So I wanted to share more accurate info.

as long as you're not living in it. just let the tenant whack the air con if it faces the west sun. will still work out well for the ROI.

minority
13-11-12, 10:00

wats the problem? pple been screaming not enough and not cheap enough.. only when there are suplus then price will be lower n maybe fire sales. than people will be happy!

kane
13-11-12, 10:08
The shortfall if the 1.3m more people are supposed to take up those rental units no?

newbie11
13-11-12, 10:18
bro you are in the loan business what is your view on the prop mkt going forward...:rolleyes:
I can share on my observations in the loan biz. I have been mentioning.. Spread is surely and slowly inching upwards. Some big banks are not offering attractive BUC rates as its not a very profitable biz. More clients buying mass market are borderline cases.. Either not enough $, over stretched, etc.

And personal opinion.. Even if u wan capital gain, not having yield does not make sense as a gd investment class. Gold is different as it has never yielded dividend.

Santro
13-11-12, 10:46
With MoM tightening foreign talent inflow rules,does these numbers really matter :D . I always ask myself how many people homeless in Singapore at the moment. Its the supply-demand concept. If they start renting your unit means they are making their previous unit available for rental/sale.
Thats why property play is long to super-long term. Dont try to time the market. Long term play will be supported by factors like inflation, growth in population etc. ;)

DKSG
13-11-12, 17:12
With MoM tightening foreign talent inflow rules,does these numbers really matter :D . I always ask myself how many people homeless in Singapore at the moment. Its the supply-demand concept. If they start renting your unit means they are making their previous unit available for rental/sale.
Thats why property play is long to super-long term. Dont try to time the market. Long term play will be supported by factors like inflation, growth in population etc. ;)

MoM tighten rules for foreigners staying in construction sites, etc.
The workers (or executives) earning $10K++ a month with expat packages - these people's rules has not tightened significantly.

So, we need to be mindful when people (be it agent who wanna con you to sell, or buyers making offers) tell you MoM tightening foreign labour. They literally mean LABOUR! People who labour. Not those staying in River Valley, Orchard Rd, those are not really tightened.

Which smart country would tighten the inflow of these executives ? The whole world is vying for, seducing, attracting these people who brings business with them to the country.

Think, my friends, Think.

DKSG
PS : I see many of these expats in my office one, so I know.