PDA

View Full Version : For MM unit below 500 sqft..renovation 10k enough or not?

xtreme_46
13-11-12, 09:52
if do painting and change the floor tiles? enough or not?

Ringo33
13-11-12, 10:25
if do painting and change the floor tiles? enough or not?

Painting give or take $1k. floor tiles is a major work which requires hacking etc, and the quality of tiles is also important. Last thing you want is to have th tile changing colors or having hairline crack. Why do you need to change the tile?

Adva181
13-11-12, 10:33
Depend if u renting out or own stay.
I spent only 3k for painting, curtain, lighting, electronic n furnishing etc and happily rented out at 4k+ for 500sf. Fully furnished.

xtreme_46
13-11-12, 12:02
Painting give or take $1k. floor tiles is a major work which requires hacking etc, and the quality of tiles is also important. Last thing you want is to have th tile changing colors or having hairline crack. Why do you need to change the tile?

cos i dont like the floor tiles leh..anyway i only want to change the tiles in living area..below 10k for less than 400 sqft not possible meh?

ikan bilis
13-11-12, 12:10
cos i dont like the floor tiles leh..anyway i only want to change the tiles in living area..below 10k for less than 400 sqft not possible meh?

if one person self staying only,... can try lay laminate wood flooring... some cheap condo has that in bedrooms... nice wood feeling when living on top of the laminate wood,.... floor tiles still hidden below, you get back the floor tiles once you remove the wood laying on top... should be around S$1K for your living room...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&cp=23&gs_id=2m&xhr=t&q=laminate+wood+flooring&lr=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bpcl=38093640&biw=991&bih=681&wrapid=tljp1352783021806044&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=t9ShUMz_C8rsrAf1zYDwBw

note: laminate wood flooring could be damaged by excessive water.. material is some compressed saw dust....

:rolleyes:

zeamybro
13-11-12, 12:41
if one person self staying only,... can try lay laminate wood flooring... some cheap condo has that in bedrooms... nice wood feeling when living on top of the laminate wood,.... floor tiles still hidden below, you get back the floor tiles once you remove the wood laying on top... should be around S$1K for your living room...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&cp=23&gs_id=2m&xhr=t&q=laminate+wood+flooring&lr=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bpcl=38093640&biw=991&bih=681&wrapid=tljp1352783021806044&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=t9ShUMz_C8rsrAf1zYDwBw

note: laminate wood flooring could be damaged by excessive water.. material is some compressed saw dust....

:rolleyes:

Can try vinyl also, cheap and waterproof

ikan bilis
13-11-12, 12:55
Can try vinyl also, cheap and waterproof

vinyl waterproof but too cheapskate,... vinyl need to be glued onto the floor which will damage the present floor tiles... whereas laminate wood will have a thin layer of plastic lining/sponge as protection to the tiles below, no scratches to original tiles, (you can get back tiles once removed the laminate wood)... i diy 500sqft of vinyl in my office last year... both vinyl flooring and laminate wood flooring look equally nice in appearance (look like real wood flooring)... but vinyl got no "wood" feeling when sitting on top... :rolleyes: ;)

zeamybro
13-11-12, 12:58
vinyl waterproof but too cheapskate,... vinyl need to be glued onto the floor which will damage the present floor tiles... whereas laminate wood will have a thin layer of plastic lining/sponge as protection to the tiles below, no scratches to original tiles, (you can get back tiles once removed the laminate wood)... i diy 500sqft of vinyl in my office last year... both vinyl flooring and laminate wood flooring look equally nice in appearance (look like real wood flooring)... but vinyl got no "wood" feeling when sitting on top... :rolleyes: ;)

Wah bro ikan u really expert in this field, next time my hse ready must consult u further. Ya I thought vinyl looks decent and is really cheap, but din know will damage the original tiles.

ikan bilis
13-11-12, 13:13
Wah bro ikan u really expert in this field, next time my hse ready must consult u further. Ya I thought vinyl looks decent and is really cheap, but din know will damage the original tiles.

no-lah, you don;t ask me about all these renovation,... me no expert... :ashamed1:

i do those things for fun, or as "hobby" only,... simple DIY things like floor tiles laying (simple vinyl/laminate wood type), painting, electrical wiring, ikea blind/shelf installation, minor pumbling, floor epoxy coating, some repairs and etc.... bcoz for anything non-residential, tenants don;t mind about poor workmanship or Fishy workmanship.... hahaha... :D :ashamed1:

btw: i think if you keep your ceramic tiles too long under that laminate wood,... it will also turn yellowish due to without cleaning for too long...

nav14
14-11-12, 09:55

Depending on the type of tiles. If homogenous tiles , then it should not cost you more than 10psf all in - so around 4k max for tiling. Parquet should also be around the same and laminate should ce cheaper.

Vincegoh
14-11-12, 13:47
Depending on the type of tiles. If homogenous tiles , then it should not cost you more than 10psf all in - so around 4k max for tiling. Parquet should also be around the same and laminate should ce cheaper.

for living room area, timber strips will look better than parquet but will cost double the px.

ikan bilis
14-11-12, 13:54
i like timber strips flooring... shiok !!... roughly how much psf is that ??...

:cheers4:

Vincegoh
14-11-12, 14:00
i like timber strips flooring... shiok !!... roughly how much psf is that ??...

:cheers4:

this one i dunno leh... but it's slightly more than double the px compared to parquet. nav said it's ard 10psf for parquet so i reckon it will range ard 20-25psf for timber strips..

but then hor, timber strips sometimes they will cheat abit.. intersperse a few long strips with alot of short strips. :tongue3:

carbuncle
14-11-12, 15:22
bro vince, hows life at dolce vita? njoying bo

Vincegoh
14-11-12, 15:39
bro vince, hows life at dolce vita? njoying bo

boss, me not staying at ldv.. me bought OG... still waiting to finish my renovation works as handover keeps getting delayed. :banghead:

carbuncle
14-11-12, 19:03
woops paiseh. .. yep OG.... arent u glad u bought it as sky gween price would push up yours later.... Not like very near each other la but quite