PDA

View Full Version : Selecting a condo

nick7
31-12-12, 11:11
Hello members,

We are SPRs and currently living in Sengkang area. I need some expert advice on purchasing a ready condo for investment/self stay purpose.

Since my wife's work place is in west area, I may intend to rent out the condo and rent a place near to her work place, so I am open to any location as long as it can fetch good capital appreciation and also easy to rent out place.

I am looking to buy a 3 bedder condo (1000-1300 sqft) size with the budget of 900k to 1.05 mil.

Based on my search that fits my budget and size, I found the below condos at reasonably good locations.

Pls advice what area should I focus on as my current preference is wide and may not be accurate.

West
1 The Mayfair
2 The Floravale
3 The Summerdale

CCK/Bukit Panjang
1 Palm Gardens
2 The Warren/ Northvale (May be over the budget)
3 Regent Grove/Regent Heights

North
1 Casablanca
2 Rosewood
3 The Woodsvale
4 Northoaks

North-East
1 The Florida
2 The Rivervale
3 Regentville/ Evergreen Park

I could not find any good 3 bedder condo in east area(pasir ris, simei, tampines) that fits my budget. If there is any, I am also open to look into east area.

Pls share your views on which area and which project would be a better choice in terms of reasonable psf/price and future appreciation.

-Nick

phantom_opera
31-12-12, 11:15
Simei Green or simply buy a 2br @ Mi Casa

ikan bilis
31-12-12, 11:18
** are those near to mrt... paiseh arh... i look at location only... :beats-me-man:
(of all, for me, i think i pick rivervale or mi-casa...)

West
1 The Mayfair**
2 The Floravale
3 The Summerdale

CCK/Bukit Panjang
1 Palm Gardens
2 The Warren**/ Northvale**
3 Regent Grove**/Regent Heights
4 Yew Mei Green**
5 Windermere**
6 Mi Casa**

North
1 Casablanca
2 Rosewood
3 The Woodsvale**
4 Northoaks
5 Orchid park Condo**

North-East
1 The Florida
2 The Rivervale**

nick7
31-12-12, 11:19
Thanks phantom_opera,

I did look at simei green and changi rise condo, but seems the asking price is around 1.1 mil which is out of my budget.

Any advice on Eastvale?

Simei Green

phantom_opera
31-12-12, 11:23
Thanks phantom_opera,

I did look at simei green and changi rise condo, but seems the asking price is around 1.1 mil which is out of my budget.

Any advice on Eastvale?

buy the 969sqft 2+S in Simei Green, only 8xxk ... pretty close to 3br already, bargain you can get

note we are in the midst of property bubble, so I am not asking you to buy, buy @ your own risk my friend

nick7
31-12-12, 11:25
Thanks but Mi casa is out of my budget as I am looking for 3 bedder.

Any advice why not palm gardens? I found it at not bad location, as it is 10-15 mins walk to CCK and also 3 lrt stops away from Bukit Panjang down town line.

Yes, the rest you mentioned are quite good. What other things should I consider to narrow down my list?

** are those near to mrt... paiseh arh... i look at location only... :beats-me-man:
(of all, for me, i think i pick rivervale or mi-casa...)

West
1 The Mayfair**
2 The Floravale
3 The Summerdale

CCK/Bukit Panjang
1 Palm Gardens
2 The Warren/ Northvale (May be over the budget)**
3 Regent Grove**/Regent Heights
4 Yew Mei Green**
5 Windermere**
6 Mi Casa**

North
1 Casablanca
2 Rosewood
3 The Woodsvale**
4 Northoaks
5 Orchid park Condo**

North-East
1 The Florida
2 The Rivervale**

imjason
31-12-12, 11:26
Why not consider HDB since you are SPRs ?

I don't understand why you buy a house to rent out and rent another place for yourselves !!!

nick7
31-12-12, 11:31
yes, I agree with you that we are in the midst of a property bubble but I do not want to make the wait too long. I am also not sure if any major correction going to happen in 2013/14, the only this I keep hearing is over supply of properties but as long as job market is not affected, I do not see why people sell at a loss or less than market price?

Pls enlighten with your views if I am wrong.

There is no 2+s for sale at present so will check it out if any one is selling. I would prefer to have a 3 bedder if possible within my budget.

buy the 969sqft 2+S in Simei Green, only 8xxk ... pretty close to 3br already, bargain you can get

note we are in the midst of property bubble, so I am not asking you to buy

ikan bilis
31-12-12, 11:31
if mi-casa (just top-ed) out of budget, may be can consider 1259ft quintet (5yr old EC, near yew tee MRT)...
to me, location/near mrt is more important.... the rest is your preference liow.... have fun searching.... :cheers4:

btw: only thing i like about palm garden is bowling alley... :cheers5:

nick7
31-12-12, 11:35
Its just that we want to keep the property in case we migrate to other country or move back to home country.

We have to sell HDB if we are out of singapore for few years.

My reasoning to rent out condo is just to get a place near to wife's work place so that she can manage the home and kids and don't spend too much time in commuting as we don't drive.

Why not consider HDB since you are SPRs ?

I don't understand why you buy a house to rent out and rent another place for yourselves !!!

buttercarp
31-12-12, 11:41
We are SPRs and currently living in Sengkang area. I need some expert advice on
purchasing a ready condo for investment/self stay purpose.

Since my
wife's work place is in west area, I may intend to rent out the condo and rent a
place near to her work place, so I am open to any location as long as it can
fetch good capital appreciation and also easy to rent out place.

Hi nick, just wanna know...... presently what type of housing you staying in and if it is rented or bought?
Cos SPR will have to pay ABSD for 2nd property so you have to factor that in your cost.

nick7
31-12-12, 12:53
Yes, I do know that. This will be first property under my name.

Hi nick, just wanna know...... presently what type of housing you staying in and if it is rented or bought?
Cos SPR will have to pay ABSD for 2nd property so you have to factor that in your cost.

nick7
31-12-12, 15:56
Hello experts,

Any advice?

lajia
31-12-12, 21:02
I'm no expert but just to share my thoughts...
For investment, two key considerations, timing & location. Don't just because it is cheap and then u buy something which is not in ideal location, because when u want to sell in bad times, location super important. Good time no need to mention, anything also boleh....
As for timing, personally I feel that even for capital appreciation, your horizon got to stretch beyond 5 yrs.

:2cents:

ikan bilis
31-12-12, 21:24
propertyguru search with TS requirements....
- 600K-1000K
- 2bdr, >1000sqft
- already top-ed, all locations

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/singapore-property-listing?listing_type=sale&search_type=district&property_type=N&school=&mrt=&address=&property_id=&distance=0.5&latitude=&longitude=&interest=&hdb_type_group=&minprice=600000&maxprice=1000000&minbed=3&maxbed=&minsize=1000&maxsize=&minsize_land=&maxsize_land=&freetext=&minpsf=&maxpsf=&listing_posted=&mintop=&maxtop=2012&sort=&order=&min_latitude=&max_latitude=&min_longitude=&max_longitude=&submit=

yields only 230+ ads.... removing duplicate or fishing ads might be only about 60+ apartments fitting the requirement...

=> quite hard searching, and by feb 2013, this might be further reduced to <180 ads... :beats-me-man:

nick7
31-12-12, 21:50
So based on my list, what area/location is worth investing? My time horizon is for sure more than 5 yrs, in fact atleast 7-8 years if not more.

I'm no expert but just to share my thoughts...
For investment, two key considerations, timing & location. Don't just because it is cheap and then u buy something which is not in ideal location, because when u want to sell in bad times, location super important. Good time no need to mention, anything also boleh....
As for timing, personally I feel that even for capital appreciation, your horizon got to stretch beyond 5 yrs.

nick7
31-12-12, 21:53
Yes, list is limited for 3 bedder. That is why needed some expert views.

One important point I forgot to mention is, I would be buying the property under mine name only. So that in future, got enough savings, can buy a small 1 bedder for investment under spouse's name.

propertyguru search with TS requirements....
- 600K-1000K
- 2bdr, >1000sqft
- already top-ed, all locations

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/singapore-property-listing?listing_type=sale&search_type=district&property_type=N&school=&mrt=&address=&property_id=&distance=0.5&latitude=&longitude=&interest=&hdb_type_group=&minprice=600000&maxprice=1000000&minbed=3&maxbed=&minsize=1000&maxsize=&minsize_land=&maxsize_land=&freetext=&minpsf=&maxpsf=&listing_posted=&mintop=&maxtop=2012&sort=&order=&min_latitude=&max_latitude=&min_longitude=&max_longitude=&submit=

yields only 230+ ads.... removing duplicate or fishing ads might be only about 60+ apartments fitting the requirement...

=> quite hard searching, and by feb 2013, this might be further reduced to <180 ads... :beats-me-man:

lajia
31-12-12, 23:12
look at the map, where do you think the next announcement got to come from? That's anybody's guess...:D

journey to the WEST. next 2-3yrs, a lot of jobs will be created in this part of Sg and therefore, even if the economy is down, your chances of getting your unit rented out should still be better than anywhere else. From investment pt of view, stay close to the mrt or at least along the main road...:D budget wise it should fit your bill...compared to those in the EAST (in general).

your guess...:p

So based on my list, what area/location is worth investing? My time horizon is for sure more than 5 yrs, in fact atleast 7-8 years if not more.

buttercarp
31-12-12, 23:45
With your budget and wife working in Jurong, you should consider an EC in Jurong.
How about this one at The Floravale?
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/12721060/for-sale-the-floravale

DKSG
31-12-12, 23:58
With your budget and wife working in Jurong, you should consider an EC in Jurong.
How about this one at The Floravale?
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/12721060/for-sale-the-floravale

PR can buy ECs?

Maybe should close up this loophole in the next CM!

DKSG

rymccondo77
01-01-13, 00:27
PR can buy ECs?

DKSG

PR can buy ECs only after the Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) of 5 years have been fulfilled.

kane
01-01-13, 00:44
good capital appreciation and cheapest doesn't go hand in hand.

buttercarp
01-01-13, 00:55
PR can buy ECs?

DKSG

SPR can buy resale EC.
In this case nick7 can buy a resale EC solely under his name, ie he does not need to form a family nucleus to buy a resale EC.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf/w/BuyingNewFlatEligibilityECOpen

nick7
01-01-13, 06:43
yes, SPR can buy EC from resale market after 5 years of MOP and I don't think so it is a loophole in any ways.

PR can buy ECs?

DKSG

nick7
01-01-13, 06:46
Thanks for the link. I didnt know I can buy resale EC after 5 years under single name. I thought only after 10 years, single name is allowed.

So this would open up few more options.

SPR can buy resale EC.
In this case nick7 can buy a resale EC solely under his name, ie he does not need to form a family nucleus to buy a resale EC.

nick7
01-01-13, 06:47
yes, I do understand there will always be a trade off.

Any good recommendation?

good capital appreciation and cheapest doesn't go hand in hand.

kane
01-01-13, 07:42
i thought the mayfair as pointed out by someone earlier is pretty decent.

nick7
01-01-13, 08:03
yes, the mayfair is already in my list as you can see from my first post, but have not zeroed down on area. based on what I understand so far, jurong and woodlands would be transforming in regional hubs in next 7-8 years.

So thinking in that direction and something within 1 km to MRT. Is that good enough criteria for initial screening?

Ringo33
01-01-13, 08:31
yes, the mayfair is already in my list as you can see from my first post, but have not zeroed down on area. based on what I understand so far, jurong and woodlands would be transforming in regional hubs in next 7-8 years.

So thinking in that direction and something within 1 km to MRT. Is that good enough criteria for initial screening?

Mayfair has got private lift and also a bowling alley. Remember to check what is their maintenance cost.

phantom_opera
01-01-13, 09:05
Market is always right, since u are so set to 3br with limited budget, don't think too hard, in 3m time price up again, market needs to draw ppl like u b4 peaking lol

lajia
01-01-13, 09:07
if within your budget, Lakeshore not bad...

rattydrama
01-01-13, 11:13
My choice within your budget

West
The Mayfair
still walkable to MRT but surrounded by HDBs if you dont mind.

CCK/Bukit Panjang
Yew Tee Residence - next to MRT, mall is well managed

North
The Woodsvale - location not bad but need to check out the condo yourself on the type of crowds.

mcmlxxvi
01-01-13, 12:21
SPR can buy resale EC.

Oh wow didn't know this.

But then by then the 5-year-old EC would be priced alongside comparable PC.

New buyer still need to fulfill 5-year MOP? Or not?

'Buyers of resale ECs are not eligible for CPF Housing Grant as such ECs are treated as equivalent to “private housing”.'

ikan bilis
01-01-13, 17:00
if you die die want 3bdr, >1000ft, cheap cheap unit, easy to rent out to foreigner, with main purpose of property price hedging (worried of cannot afford later, and worried of $$ getting smaller)...

may be can try buy Huogang Green... 800K for 11xxft 3bdr... go figure out yourself why the price is lower... ;)

HOUGANG GREEN BUANGKOK GREEN Apartment 1 800,000 1,163 Strata 688 Dec-12
HOUGANG GREEN BUANGKOK GREEN Apartment 1 798,000 1,130 Strata 706 Aug-12
HOUGANG GREEN BUANGKOK GREEN Apartment 1 780,000 1,141 Strata 684 Jul-12

(but i will not buy this condo project hor....:( )

gilaone
01-01-13, 17:05

Mayfair looks pretty good. Why didn't I looked at it when I was buying? :confused: But again why its price still amongst the lower despite these good and unique factors? Any guess?

leesg123
01-01-13, 17:21
Mayfair looks pretty good. Why didn't I looked at it when I was buying? :confused: But again why its price still amongst the lower despite these good and unique factors? Any guess?perhaps it has a high concentration of certain expat profile? esp those working in the west.

nick7
01-01-13, 20:16
yes, I am considering mayfair and woodvale but not yew tee residences. Its price is steep compared to other condos near by such as regent grove, windermere/yer mei green.

My choice within your budget

West
The Mayfair
still walkable to MRT but surrounded by HDBs if you dont mind.

CCK/Bukit Panjang
Yew Tee Residence - next to MRT, mall is well managed

North
The Woodsvale - location not bad but need to check out the condo yourself on the type of crowds.

nick7
01-01-13, 20:17
I know abt hougang green and not really keen on it as there are better options for 3bdr in my budget. thanks for pointing it out.

if you die die want 3bdr, >1000ft, cheap cheap unit, easy to rent out to foreigner, with main purpose of property price hedging (worried of cannot afford later, and worried of $$ getting smaller)...

may be can try buy Huogang Green... 800K for 11xxft 3bdr... go figure out yourself why the price is lower... ;)

HOUGANG GREEN BUANGKOK GREEN Apartment 1 800,000 1,163 Strata 688 Dec-12
HOUGANG GREEN BUANGKOK GREEN Apartment 1 798,000 1,130 Strata 706 Aug-12
HOUGANG GREEN BUANGKOK GREEN Apartment 1 780,000 1,141 Strata 684 Jul-12

(but i will not buy this condo project hor....:( )

westman
01-01-13, 21:48
perhaps it has a high concentration of certain expat profile? esp those working in the west.

Primary reason.... surrounded by HDB...
Swimming pool very open for Viewing by HDB dwellers. ..

Shanhz
02-01-13, 13:27
Mayfair looks pretty good. Why didn't I looked at it when I was buying? :confused: But again why its price still amongst the lower despite these good and unique factors? Any guess?

mayfair was also within my radar when i was considering in the west. but few reasons: petrol station - so 1-2 blocks will be out. also, if you want mayfair, some pple will pay abit more and get parc oasis. nearer mrt and bigger devp (good and bad). personally i quite like mayfair. but sometimes u need to actually view the units to understand why.

fooblack
02-01-13, 14:52
Thanks but Mi casa is out of my budget as I am looking for 3 bedder.

Any advice why not palm gardens? I found it at not bad location, as it is 10-15 mins walk to CCK and also 3 lrt stops away from Bukit Panjang down town line.

Yes, the rest you mentioned are quite good. What other things should I consider to narrow down my list?

Palm Garden - this is a view from a current resident so of course more biased.

Quite nice place for self-stay. not exactly near MRT not but very far. can walk to MRT in < 15min or take LRT for 2 stops.

plenty of amenities around and they are gg to build a supermarket, coffeeshop and fast food infront of the LRT station i.e. besides Palm.

The environment is quiet and very generous landscape. very relaxing to walk around at nite.

Mgmt is very "on". Gd for residents and not so gd for visitors. I've seen many visitors' cars being clamped for not parking appropriately.

the condo is about 12 years but looks fairly well maintained.

Prices are getting steep... nearing the $1m mark for the 3 bedders (1200 sqft).

If you need more info, pls PM me.

nick7
02-01-13, 15:49
Thanks a lot for your view. I will be viewing a unit there in next few weeks.

Palm Garden - this is a view from a current resident so of course more biased.

Quite nice place for self-stay. not exactly near MRT not but very far. can walk to MRT in < 15min or take LRT for 2 stops.

plenty of amenities around and they are gg to build a supermarket, coffeeshop and fast food infront of the LRT station i.e. besides Palm.

The environment is quiet and very generous landscape. very relaxing to walk around at nite.

Mgmt is very "on". Gd for residents and not so gd for visitors. I've seen many visitors' cars being clamped for not parking appropriately.

the condo is about 12 years but looks fairly well maintained.

Prices are getting steep... nearing the $1m mark for the 3 bedders (1200 sqft).

If you need more info, pls PM me.

Ringo33
02-01-13, 16:13
Have you consider getting a unit at Ivory Height?

fooblack
02-01-13, 17:06
Have you consider getting a unit at Ivory Height?

with a budget ard $1m, i doubt can get a unit at Ivory. The units are huge and PSF is not low...

ikan bilis
02-01-13, 17:45
buy ivory height liow sekali kena en-bloc, how arh ??... :D

how is palm garden's bowling alley ??... got free time slots or always occupied... must be very shiok to have a 2-lane bowling alley.... :cheers5:

fooblack
03-01-13, 08:31
buy ivory height liow sekali kena en-bloc, how arh ??... :D

how is palm garden's bowling alley ??... got free time slots or always occupied... must be very shiok to have a 2-lane bowling alley.... :cheers5:

bowling alley not really very hot. probably the residents have grown sick of it haha. usually can book quite readily and provide some form of entertainment.. esp if there are guests..

ikan bilis
03-01-13, 08:59
bowling alley not really very hot. probably the residents have grown sick of it haha. usually can book quite readily and provide some form of entertainment.. esp if there are guests..

ok,.... next time may be i consider a 958ft 2bdr there.... ;)

keat hong mall, near to south view primary, except slightly far (0.8km) from mrt...

kt2u
03-01-13, 09:23
Parc Oasis? Also walking distance to Chinese Garden MRT.

fooblack
03-01-13, 10:54
Parc Oasis? Also walking distance to Chinese Garden MRT.

very nice condo and nearest to the MRT... but just abit older too.

Shanhz
03-01-13, 11:57
very nice condo and nearest to the MRT... but just abit older too.

from "value" perspective, quite exx for a 20 yr old condo. but i like parc oasis. dunno why.