PDA

View Full Version : Permanent residents hit by changes

reporter2
14-01-13, 16:26
http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/saturday/premium/top-the-news/story/permanent-residents-hit-changes-20130112

Permanent residents hit by changes

Published on Jan 12, 2013

By Rachel Chang

PERMANENT residents (PRs) now face unprecedented limits on their ability to buy property in Singapore.

To buy a first property, whether a private unit or a Housing Board resale flat, PRs must pay an additional 5 per cent stamp duty.

If they buy a second or subsequent property, the stamp duty is an extra 10 per cent, up from the current 3 per cent more.

Also, PRs who own an HDB flat can no longer sub-let their entire flats, although they may still rent out individual rooms.

Those already sub-letting their flats can do so only until the end of the current approved period.

Finally, while Singaporean flat owners can buy a private property and keep their HDB flats too, PRs will no longer be allowed this dual ownership: On buying a private property, they must sell off their flats within six months.

The changes take effect today.

PRs were stunned by the severe measures, which the Government, said Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam yesterday, had "thought hard about".

Although PRs have never been given access to new, subsidised HDB flats, this is the first time they are being "taxed" for all property purchases, private or public.

Mr Tharman said the move was "necessary, particularly because of the HDB resale market, where PRs are taking up a larger share of new buying".

While PRs own only a small proportion of HDB flats, they formed "a rising component of demand in the last year" for all forms of housing, he said.

There are 49,190 PR households that own HDB flats. Latest data show 2,142 PR-owned flats are rented out - about 5 per cent of flats approved for sub-let.

PRs last night were dismayed.

"It's not fair," said Chinese national Thomas Feng, on the new sub-let ban.

"In this case, why let PRs buy flats at all?"

The accountant, a Henan native in his early 30s, has been a PR since 2007 and owns a four-room flat in Kallang.

Myanmar software developer Zarni Win said she could accept the policy last year that set the duration of the sub-let limit at five years.

"But this new change is too much. What if we have a job posting overseas, then we have to continue paying a mortgage without staying in the flat?" said the 34-year-old.

Briton Francis Chandler, 41, an IT professional, who has been a PR since 2010 said: "The PRs I know are all living in their property. Whereas I know a lot of Singaporeans who have multiple properties for investment."

Others were resigned.

"Of course it is unfair," said Filipino architect Ram Poyaoan, 48, who owns a five-room flat in Pasir Ris. "But what can we do? It's like living in your uncle's house. You don't get the same treatment."

[email protected]

phantom_opera
14-01-13, 16:33
These SPRs interviewed, already own HDB .. must be thinking of going back to home countries and rent out HDBs ... now kpkb liao :p

buttercarp
14-01-13, 16:35
These SPRs interviewed, already own HDB .. must be thinking of going back to home countries and rent out HDBs ... now kpkb liao :p

So one of the spouse has to apply to become SC then can still continue to let out the HDB........

phantom_opera
14-01-13, 16:39
So one of the spouse has to apply to become SC then can still continue to let out the HDB........

not so easy ... our SC now is gold standard ;)

mcmlxxvi
14-01-13, 16:43
PRs don't vote.... Whack them hard hard without qualms...

imjason
14-01-13, 17:13
I don't see a reason for PR to rent out their house... even for posting overseas, he should not have taken up the offer at the first place...

ichigo55
14-01-13, 18:10
What's there to be shocked when its already shockingly irrational to allow foreigners to even buy public housing? Name any other country that even allow that.

Cupcakes
14-01-13, 18:33
accountant, software developer, IT professional, architect ... Wah.... So many dirty jobs rejected by sg

samuelk
14-01-13, 19:55
accountant, software developer, IT professional, architect ... Wah.... So many dirty jobs rejected by sg
the next time, there may not be a need to be here physically and can tale the role remotely.

UltimateAro888
14-01-13, 20:02
I still remember overhead my ex-boss (who choose to remain as PR in spite of being offer SC )conversation :

"Why be SC, stay as PR. Take advantage of the policy, make enough money and go back to <Ixxxa> and retire as king "(their home ctry)..

Now, I will think he will seriously consider SC.

irisng
14-01-13, 20:10
"Of course it is unfair," said Filipino architect Ram Poyaoan, 48, who owns a five-room flat in Pasir Ris. "But what can we do? It's like living in your uncle's house. You don't get the same treatment."

If think it this way, if his friend's children came to his house and stay for years, will he gives the same treatment as he gives it to his children eg give allowance to his friend's children.

Singapore is the home of Singaporeans. Govt is like our parents, of course have to take care of us lah.:cheers1: They came to S'pore to "snatch" our jobs, they are professionals, is it Singapore doesn't have such professionals or is it that Singaporean thinks that this is a dirty job? At the same time they make use of our public housing to earn the extra income. by then, go back to their hometown, pocket "pa pa". Wow, win win situation leh.:rolleyes:

chiaberry
14-01-13, 20:17
I still remember overhead my ex-boss (who choose to remain as PR in spite of being offer SC )conversation :

"Why be SC, stay as PR. Take advantage of the policy, make enough money and go back to <Ixxxa> and retire as king "(their home ctry)..

My boss used to think like that. He was a Malaysian and would talk about us referring to "you Singaporeans blah blah blah...." After his car (an old Merc) got burgled in broad day light in the car park of a major shopping centre in JB and after years of waking up at 5am to queue for his family's passport renewals at the Malaysian embassy, he finally threw in the towel and asked me to be his referee to convert to SC. He bought an HDB flat in Clementi as a PR and considered it proudly as one of the best uses of his CPF.

irisng
14-01-13, 20:26
My boss used to think like that. He was a Malaysian and would talk about us referring to "you Singaporeans blah blah blah...." After his car (an old Merc) got burgled in broad day light in the car park of a major shopping centre in JB and after years of waking up at 5am to queue for his family's passport renewals at the Malaysian embassy, he finally threw in the towel and asked me to be his referee to convert to SC. He bought an HDB flat in Clementi as a PR and considered it proudly as one of the best uses of his CPF.

Actually, I'm very proud of Singapore too:o. My PR friend married to a Singaporean and bought a resale 3 room HDB flat. I asked her why she doesn't want to convert to SC and she told me that in case anything happen in Singapore, at least she still can fly back to her hometown.

Cupcakes
14-01-13, 20:33
N usually will be the wife get converted to sc n hubby as PR. Because wife can get baby bonus, childcare subsidies, maternity leave, blah blah blah.....

minority
14-01-13, 20:37
I don't see a reason for PR to rent out their house... even for posting overseas, he should not have taken up the offer at the first place...

Well if u dont have a PR to buy from a 1st owner who the 1st owner want to sell to for either retirement to downgrade or upgrade to PC?

common.

RCT
14-01-13, 20:46

For just 7%, I don't think they will give up their original country nationality... Unless you are saying becoming SC will have free medical and other benefits like Australia or US, then maybe can consider....:D

Sleepyhead
14-01-13, 20:56

Are you serious?? :doh:

kane
14-01-13, 21:05
No need to feel hard done by, they can rent or you can become a SC. 2 extra avenues to choose from. it isn't a dead end. plus developers are willing to discount to defray part of the ABSD. it's not a bad deal.