PDA

View Full Version : Is it right for management to collect deposit for 1st car owner

kkss_tt
27-01-13, 05:49
Hi,

I am here to check if it is right for management to impose a $100 deposit for 1st car owner ?
The carparks are not pack and only 50% usage.

When they pass this type of instructions, do they need to hold meeting or get feedback from residence ?

If we feel that it is not right. can we request to hold meeting with management or committee ?

If say, maybe only 40~60% of car owners paidup $100, what will be the outcome of the implementation date ?
Can the security not allow the car to come in ?

Thanks

Lemonlaw
27-01-13, 06:56
Hi,

I am here to check if it is right for management to impose a $100 deposit for 1st car owner ?

When they pass this type of instructions, do they need to hold meeting or get feedback from residence ?

If we feel that it is not right. can we request to hold meeting with management or committee ?

If say, maybe only 40~60% of car owners paidup $100, what will be the outcome of the implementation date ?

Thanks

To collect a deposit is equally fair. Just like you go SP services ask for water and power supply. I pay 100.00 deposits too, till date the 100.00 will there. It's been 7 yrs.

Coming back to your question, every building management is different. If That's their policy to collect 100.00, if u don't pay, you cannot park there techinally.
Your car can still go in but subject o wheel cramp.

As you mentioned, it's only a deposit, pay lah, you will get the refund when u no longer park there. Why want to create so much trouble unless your time cost is less than 100.00 :doh:

Don't mind sharing is which developer, at least I can avoid buying their ppty. :)

diveaces
27-01-13, 07:17
This is the first time I heard about this? Which MA is it?

triple70
27-01-13, 07:57
Hi,

Thanks

Security Deposit is to ensure the behaviour of the user complies with the terms and conditions of using the parking lot, just like a security deposit of a tenancy agreement. It has nothing to do with the occupancy rate of the carpark.

All bylaws are passed at the AGM. Not happy with it, can table motion at AGM to discuss it. Management decisions rests with the council. Not happy with the council, pls volunteer to be in the council. Council job is not easy, and very few ppl want to be on the council. It's a thankless task, made worse by ppl who have no idea how properties are managed.

Normally, if ppl dun pay security deposit, then no autogate remote given or car label. Offending cars will be clamped and the MCST is looking at a cashcow.

There are many jokers in Sg. Parking in handicapped lots, park across 2 lots, why do u think these ppl can become so blantant? Becuase they got nothing to fear. Perhaps the $100 security deposit is the start.

teddybear
27-01-13, 09:05
There is no rule about whether can do so or not, just make sure this rule is passed in AGM. They need to renew every year in AGM. Just vote it out in AGM can already. Don't have to argue with them. If not passed in AGM, then such rule are not enforceable.

Hi,

Thanks

buttercarp
27-01-13, 09:54
This is the first time I heard about this? Which MA is it?

It is usually the case for the 2nd car.
It will be returned to you once you have relinquished the right to park your car there.

But for first car, it is the first time I hear about it.
Just remember to keep the receipt for future refund.
And yes as teddybear has said it, vote it out during the next AGM.

There is no rule about whether can do so or not, just make sure this rule is
passed in AGM. They need to renew every year in AGM. Just vote it out in AGM
can already. Don't have to argue with them. If not passed in AGM, then such
rule are not enforceable.

thomastansb
27-01-13, 11:22
Ya, no right or wrong. Is what was passed during AGM. Residents run the show. Residents get what they want - in a democratic way.

There is no rule about whether can do so or not, just make sure this rule is passed in AGM. They need to renew every year in AGM. Just vote it out in AGM can already. Don't have to argue with them. If not passed in AGM, then such rule are not enforceable.

Shanhz
27-01-13, 11:41
wat's wrong with $100 deposit? it's a deposit, not a fee. how much interest can you earn by putting $100 deposit in the bank? aiyo.. no wonder pple say singapreans only like to complain. :D

Komo
27-01-13, 19:01
Hi,

seems got very large carpark leh... which property is it:D
management also very on... very good idea with the deposit thing. $100 may be too little though:D

teddybear
27-01-13, 19:04
To add on to what I said, By the way, is your condo majority owner-occupied? If so, I don't believe such rule would have been passed in AGM in the first place as it just doesn't make sense at all.

I do feel that such rule probably never been passed in AGM.
Some condo MC act as though they are the boss and they can implement anything they want. For goodness sake, just ask your condo MA to confirm in black-and-white (remember, must be in "black-and-white") whether the rule has been passed in AGM.

If rule had been passed in AGM, then lobby to get it voted out in next AGM.
If rule not passed in AGM, even simpler, ignore the rule. Challenge the MA if they try to do anything else. Tell them point-blank that the rule is not enforceable as it never pass through AGM.

Originally Posted by kkss_tt
Hi,

Thanks

triple70
27-01-13, 20:39
If rule had been passed in AGM, then lobby to get it voted out in next AGM.
If rule not passed in AGM, even simpler, ignore the rule. Challenge the MA if they try to do anything else. Tell them point-blank that the rule is not enforceable as it never pass through AGM.

And the MA will then tell u there is also no rule that they must give u the car label and autogate remote control.

teddybear
27-01-13, 20:57
Ha ha ha! They can only fool other people but not me. The MA will soon come to beg me for foregiveness for not following the laws & regulations and even trying to threaten me for not giving me car label and autogate remote control. There was once an MA who tried to play "game" and I send them packing, go get lost!... :tongue3:

And the MA will then tell u there is also no rule that they must give u the car label and autogate remote control.

triple70
27-01-13, 21:42
Ha ha ha! They can only fool other people but not me. The MA will soon come to beg me for foregiveness for not following the laws & regulations and even trying to threaten me for not giving me car label and autogate remote control. There was once an MA who tried to play "game" and I send them packing, go get lost!... :tongue3:

It's easy to get a MA booted out, but does that mean the condo becomes a better place to live in? We have to look at the big picture and not focus on personal issues.

Wild Falcon
27-01-13, 22:11
This is odd. Collect deposit for what? Sounds like the condo manager/MC want to collect permanent money because car park deposit will be forever right unless one sells the house? What use do they have for the money? Put inside a bank? Or worse still misuse them? Since they are not expected to be drawn - its subject to abuse. I understand the need to collect deposit for use of say karaoke room because one might damage the equipment and its usually returned within a few days. But deposit for car park lot? How does one damage a car park lot? Come on, its not the money. Its the principle. What is the logic for collecting deposit? Some MC is really corrupt. The only way is to boot them out. This car park deposit sounds like permanent cash at their disposal - do you know teeming and ladding?

teddybear
27-01-13, 23:16
MA/EM (Estate Manager) is the one that must follow the regulations and rules, in accordance to BMSMA. If they try to play "game" and did not advise the council properly, they definitely need to be booted out as they did not act professionally. What has that to do with personal issue? And as a matter of fact, there are many unprofessional EM around, including those from big companies. There are also cases involving kopi money with EMs, so MC need to keep a watch out.

It's easy to get a MA booted out, but does that mean the condo becomes a better place to live in? We have to look at the big picture and not focus on personal issues.

triple70
28-01-13, 07:19
This is odd. Collect deposit for what? Sounds like the condo manager/MC want to collect permanent money because car park deposit will be forever right unless one sells the house? What use do they have for the money? Put inside a bank? Or worse still misuse them? Since they are not expected to be drawn - its subject to abuse. I understand the need to collect deposit for use of say karaoke room because one might damage the equipment and its usually returned within a few days. But deposit for car park lot? How does one damage a car park lot? Come on, its not the money. Its the principle. What is the logic for collecting deposit? Some MC is really corrupt. The only way is to boot them out. This car park deposit sounds like permanent cash at their disposal - do you know teeming and ladding?

You should try to volunteer as a council member to understand the issues involved.
The cash float in the MCST of small developments is very tight. Carpark areas suffer quite a lot of abuse, such as staddling 2 lots, or parking in handicapped lots. Some blur drivers also ram the autogate or park indicrimately. Are we saying let's start taking out legal action for every instance of violation to recover back?
What about ppl who keep losing car label or autogate remote? If we say.. let's charge $50 for each car label. That's revenue in the eyes of IRAS. Collecting as a security deposit is more tax efficient.

MCST accounts have to be audited. Any financial wrongdoings is subject to criminal action. It's naive to generally say that collecting security deposit is prone to abuse by the MCST or MA.

I rather have a clear fee schedule to keep the accounts healthy rather than rely on kopi $ to keep things in order.

Like I said. it's easy to boot out the MA/MC, but have u heard of situations where after that, no one wants to be in the MC? The existing MC is obligated by law, to remain if no one wants to volunteer after that.

Some AGMs.. SPs amended all the bylaws.. till it was almost impossible to run the estate properly. Imagine the last item on the agenda was to elect new council members. Who in his right mind would volunteer to be on that council with no power to keep things running smoothly.

I have seen MCST accounts.. with negative equity.. literally negative cash balance. Cleaner yet to be paid.. simply because some SPs were delibrately not paying their MCST contributions, so the estate would be run down.. to make the place unlivable so that the enbloc idea will be popular.

Therefore, it's important to understand the need to have bylaws to keep the development healthy, and a wonderful place to live. There are many others who don't share a similar vision, be it due to ignorance, or simply with another agenda. Relevant legislation are not all emcompassing, and bylaws are required on top of the BMSTA Act. For example.. spitting may be wrong on public property. But unless there is a bylaw that mirrors Sg common law, it is prefectly allowed to spit in private property.

irisng
28-01-13, 07:39
First time heard that too, why need to pay deposit for the carpark for the 1st car owner especially when there are so many extra parking lots. Isn't the 1st car owner is entitled to 1 parking lot. If you talk about shifting furniture, then maybe yes because the mgt are afraid that you might damage the lift. But for parking, how to damage the floor, even if the floor is damaged, how to ensure that you are the one who damaged it, so many people drive in and out. If for barrier, the guard is there, if you damage the barrier, the guard will know immediately, then he will report to the mgt and the mgt will issue you a letter to demand for payt. If you don't pay, maybe they can stop your car from parking inside the condo.

radha08
28-01-13, 09:25
how to get about parking 2 cars if ur condo ONLY allow 1 car...:cool:

teddybear
28-01-13, 21:51
1) I won't be able to understand what you said about these since I have no experience. Those condos you mention having these problem must be having many cheap-skate inconsiderate people living in there?
That is why I say you pay for what you will get! Is it any wonder some condos can command $2.5k psf while some barely $1k psf?

2) Well, if they need replacement, obviously charge them for replacement costs + admin charges.

3) If the EM/MA are not doing their job, definitely have to boot them.
If any council member abusing their authority, definitely have to boot them. Rather have no council member than to have somebody milking the MCST. What you said about obligated by law to stay on is not true if the council member can be shown to be abusing their authority &/or violated any laws according to BMSMA or civil laws.

4) Negative equity? that is poor management. The council members definitely need to be booted.
Don't pay maintenance fund? Send them legal letter, and they have to foot the legal costs, simple as that.

5) Managing an MCST is easier than you think if your estate are resided by well-behaved, reasonable, and considerate residents. For that, You just need to plant a good estate manager(EM) (and pay them well) and most jobs will be taken care of, minus signing of cheques + council meetings about once a month. Obviously, you also need to collect more than enough maintenance fund (condos filled with super stingy and cost-conscious owners will be a problem though as maintenance fund increase will never pass their AGM. Sooner or later, their estate will rot through and through!).

You should try to volunteer as a council member to understand the issues involved.
The cash float in the MCST of small developments is very tight. Carpark areas suffer quite a lot of abuse, such as staddling 2 lots, or parking in handicapped lots. Some blur drivers also ram the autogate or park indicrimately. Are we saying let's start taking out legal action for every instance of violation to recover back?
What about ppl who keep losing car label or autogate remote? If we say.. let's charge $50 for each car label. That's revenue in the eyes of IRAS. Collecting as a security deposit is more tax efficient.

MCST accounts have to be audited. Any financial wrongdoings is subject to criminal action. It's naive to generally say that collecting security deposit is prone to abuse by the MCST or MA.

I rather have a clear fee schedule to keep the accounts healthy rather than rely on kopi $ to keep things in order.

Like I said. it's easy to boot out the MA/MC, but have u heard of situations where after that, no one wants to be in the MC? The existing MC is obligated by law, to remain if no one wants to volunteer after that.

Some AGMs.. SPs amended all the bylaws.. till it was almost impossible to run the estate properly. Imagine the last item on the agenda was to elect new council members. Who in his right mind would volunteer to be on that council with no power to keep things running smoothly.

I have seen MCST accounts.. with negative equity.. literally negative cash balance. Cleaner yet to be paid.. simply because some SPs were delibrately not paying their MCST contributions, so the estate would be run down.. to make the place unlivable so that the enbloc idea will be popular.

Therefore, it's important to understand the need to have bylaws to keep the development healthy, and a wonderful place to live. There are many others who don't share a similar vision, be it due to ignorance, or simply with another agenda. Relevant legislation are not all emcompassing, and bylaws are required on top of the BMSTA Act. For example.. spitting may be wrong on public property. But unless there is a bylaw that mirrors Sg common law, it is prefectly allowed to spit in private property.

kkss_tt
28-01-13, 22:18
Thanks for te feedback. More details, it's a 2yrs condo, committee was form Q3/Q4 last year.
For this case, no AGM being passed. We just received a letter from management that we had to pay.
Can we call on meeting or EGM than waiting for AGM which will be Q3/Q4 this year.

Many of cars owner are not happy because this deposit is for 1st car. We should entitle for a lot for 1st car.
The management even tell us that public place belong to them
$100 is not a big sum, we will take back after we sell the house but how many of them will remember ?
As mention, the car is not pack, 50% only

Just like one mention, a joke, the next time to cut and replant the tree,
can they just issue a letter to ask shareholder to pay $100 deposit to do so ?

For 2nd car is $100/month

About 40~50% are tenants

Additional question :-
Whenever after committee meeting, should we received a minute of meeting?
Till now, we are not inform if the account is ok? Since it's already 2years from TOP.

We know it's not easy to takeup committee task as it's a volunteer
Secondly, it's whether enough people to form new committee

How can we replace management ?

Thanks for your valuable feedback

teddybear
28-01-13, 23:06
Your first step is to write an email / letter to your condo's estate manager. Tell him that since this rule did not pass AGM, it is not enforceable and is invalid. You would not comply with it. See what he say... :p

If he say he can enforce, ask him under which section which clause in BMSMA he is claiming that the MC has authority to unilaterally enforce such rule without passing through AGM. Also ask him which meeting (date & time & place) this decision was made, when the notice of this meeting had been informed to the residents prior to this meeting, and when the meeting minutes have been placed on notice board (because you never see it). See what he say... :hell-hath-no-fury:

After committee meeting, they are supposed to put meeting minutes on notice board within 7 days, and be placed on the notice board for at least 14 days. Also, they must inform all residents by putting a notice on notice board that they will be holding a council meeting at least 3 days before the actual date of the meeting. If they didn't do all the above, all decisions made in this council meeting are technically invalid.

2 years after TOP? Oh no. By right MC should already been formed within 1 year after TOP. Council members are elected every year, so have to wait till next AGM, unless you can call for an EGM, which requires a minimum percentage of owners signature to support (can't remember how many now). Even with EGM, you still can't replace the council members unless you have evidence that they have not acted professionally, which is tough. Better wait for next AGM.

Thanks for te feedback. More details, it's a 2yrs condo, committee was form Q3/Q4 last year.
For this case, no AGM being passed. We just received a letter from management that we had to pay.
Can we call on meeting or EGM than waiting for AGM which will be Q3/Q4 this year.

Many of cars owner are not happy because this deposit is for 1st car. We should entitle for a lot for 1st car.
The management even tell us that public place belong to them
$100 is not a big sum, we will take back after we sell the house but how many of them will remember ?
As mention, the car is not pack, 50% only

Just like one mention, a joke, the next time to cut and replant the tree,
can they just issue a letter to ask shareholder to pay $100 deposit to do so ?

For 2nd car is $100/month

About 40~50% are tenants

Additional question :-
Whenever after committee meeting, should we received a minute of meeting?
Till now, we are not inform if the account is ok? Since it's already 2years from TOP.

We know it's not easy to takeup committee task as it's a volunteer
Secondly, it's whether enough people to form new committee

How can we replace management ?

Thanks for your valuable feedback