PDA

View Full Version : Curious: East Vs West Sun for Feng Shui

ahchee
28-02-13, 08:43
After viewing some units, noticed the units that kena west sun is priced much lower than those that got east sun. I know west sun is hot, isn't east sun just as hot? Still N-S is the best but sometimes east west facing units are unavoidable. Any comments?

roly8
28-02-13, 08:57
got $$$, then got talk..

most of the better units with NS facing will ask for more higher price.. :o

buttercarp
28-02-13, 09:40
In general avoid west sun cos it is hot.
But if you are an aircon person, then it makes little difference.

Then if you believe in almanac that you are a west person then you might prefer west facing.

Tek888
28-02-13, 09:45
After viewing some units, noticed the units that kena west sun is priced much lower than those that got east sun. I know west sun is hot, isn't east sun just as hot? Still N-S is the best but sometimes east west facing units are unavoidable. Any comments?

cos if your unit is west facing, the afternoon sun heats up your unit and you will feel its warm even well into the night.

Mine is N-S facing, but being a corner unit, one side of the walls also gets the afternoon sun. So we can feel the wall is warm at night and we have to on the aircon most of the time. If not, cannot sleep lah.

sherlock
28-02-13, 09:46
No probs if u on air-con... and west facing houses are brighter :cool:

DC33_2008
28-02-13, 09:57
No probs if u on air-con... and west facing houses are brighter :cool: Utility bill will be higher bcos air conditioner has to cool the heat radiating from tgethe west-facing wall besides the air in the room.

Tek888
28-02-13, 10:12
Utility bill will be higher bcos air conditioner has to cool the heat radiating from tgethe west-facing wall besides the air in the room.

Yes, correct. However, with the newer inverter aircons, the pain on the pocket is lesser as they consume a lot lesser power than the non-inverter ones.

ahchee
28-02-13, 10:13
Now live in NE-SW facing, never experience east sun house before. Anybody with east sun experience? In the morning must wake up early early cannot sleep huh?

avo7007
28-02-13, 10:14
If unit is facing East Sun and facing pool, price is even higher?

ahchee
28-02-13, 10:17
Ya, I suppose pay for pool view, not the East Sun?

Tek888
28-02-13, 10:17
Now live in NE-SW facing, never experience east sun house before. Anybody with east sun experience? In the morning must wake up early early cannot sleep huh?

The concern is more on the brightness than the heat. Just fix darker curtains can already.

avo7007
28-02-13, 10:22
Ya, I suppose pay for pool view, not the East Sun?

Is unit facing more about fengshui than actual practicality?

ahchee
28-02-13, 10:22
The concern is more on the brightness than the heat. Just fix darker curtains can already.
Good fix! And just continue with aircon:spliff:

ahchee
28-02-13, 10:24
Is unit facing more about fengshui than actual practicality?
Never bother about checking FS :beats-me-man: . Just practicality concerned.

phantom_opera
28-02-13, 10:25
last time face inside has good privacy .. nowadays all projects so cramped .. face inside means can shake hand to the girl next door so nowadays better choose face outside having unblocked view as long as not direct west sun facing

of course some prefer to buy 3rd floor to look at bikini girls then best lah :scared-5:

8@Mount Sophia .. supposed to be CCR

http://cdn-sg2.pgimgs.com/images/thumb/f/e/e/1/fee1e131543477_1_V550.jpg

TravieJackie
28-02-13, 10:27
Wondering anyone has experience with West sun shining on bedroom wall. But bedroom window opens up to South.

This unit is at end of the building so the wall of bedroom is West and sun shines on West wall of building in afternoon.

Will the room be very warm?

ahchee
28-02-13, 10:31
last time face inside has good privacy .. nowadays all projects so cramped .. face inside means can shake hand to the girl next door so nowadays better choose face outside having unblocked view as long as not direct west sun facing

of course some prefer to buy 3rd floor to look at bikini girls then best lah :scared-5:

8@Mount Sophia .. supposed to be CCR

http://cdn-sg2.pgimgs.com/images/thumb/f/e/e/1/fee1e131543477_1_V550.jpg
Nowadays can see what other people are doing in their BR/living room. So pai seh:doh:

phantom_opera
28-02-13, 10:32
Nowadays can see what other people are doing in their BR/living room. So pai seh:doh:

Edison Chan type will like it, not paiseh

Wild Falcon
28-02-13, 10:36
I HATE EAST SUN. it's like early morning u feel the sun coming into the windows and you can't even sit in the balcony and have a leisurely breakfast.

WEST SUN anytime. First, you can have your leisurely breakfast and lunch. When the west sun is in during early evening, I'm not even at home. And the heat dissipates very quickly because at night is cooling and the heat dissipates. The WORST is east sun. Its heats up the walls in the morning and noon and when afternoon comes, the heat cannot escape and gets trapped the whole time. I've lived in an east sun unit before and I will NEVER buy east sun facing again. I think there is a lot of myth about west sun. And of course evening sun is beautiful when u look at the sky. As for heat, there's nothing a good curtain cannot solve.

It depends on your lifestyle of course. Got sunlight into the hse better than those dark and dingy houses - I've seen some condos literally facing next unit or a WALL. Might as well stay in the dungeons like Ion basement. It's funny how Asians are anti-sunlight. Got view better than no view. What's the point of buying a house with no sun and no view right? Would you prefer to stay in basement? And people who stayed in landed usually face all directions - north south east west and yet they are ok.

TravieJackie
28-02-13, 10:45
I also agree that room with East sun coming in is very hot especially for someone who sleeps in late. I once jumped up due to heat on my legs. Burnt by the sun.

I'm now looking at a unit with West sun on the wall which is also the wall of the unit master bedroom. Will it be hot too? 'Coz it's one whole wall and may trap heat.

No experience with that. Can someone advise?

ahchee
28-02-13, 10:49
I also agree that room with East sun coming in is very hot especially for someone who sleeps in late. I once jumped up due to heat on my legs. Burnt by the sun.

I'm now looking at a unit with West sun on the wall which is also the wall of the unit master bedroom. Will it be hot too? 'Coz it's one whole wall and may trap heat.

From what others say - if got choice then avoid. If cannot, then use aircon.
This is one factor, also need to consider other factors.

Wild Falcon
28-02-13, 11:00
If it's just one wall with west sun, should be ok lah. As I've mentioned earlier, the west sun's impact is usually evening time, i.e. 5pm thereabouts. So you actually have the whole morning and early afternoon without the west sun impact. And when it comes, just draw curtains lor. And imagine if you work Mon to Fri, 5pm you are not even at home. And because temperature is already low in the night, the heat will dissipate almost immediately and wont' be trapped. And in you case, is not even windows face west sun, its just one WALL face west sun. I think the impact is negligible. If you like the unit, just buy. Don't just let one wall face west sun stop you from buying.

And of course it depends on your lifestyle which I can't advise. I know for sure some people like me is dead against east sun. And if you are renting, no difference. The ang mohs and tenants usually don't care much.

fiat500
28-02-13, 11:09
I HATE EAST SUN. it's like early morning u feel the sun coming into the windows and you can't even sit in the balcony and have a leisurely breakfast.

WEST SUN anytime. First, you can have your leisurely breakfast and lunch. When the west sun is in during early evening, I'm not even at home. And the heat dissipates very quickly because at night is cooling and the heat dissipates. The WORST is east sun. Its heats up the walls in the morning and noon and when afternoon comes, the heat cannot escape and gets trapped the whole time. I've lived in an east sun unit before and I will NEVER buy east sun facing again. I think there is a lot of myth about west sun. And of course evening sun is beautiful when u look at the sky. As for heat, there's nothing a good curtain cannot solve.

It depends on your lifestyle of course. Got sunlight into the hse better than those dark and dingy houses - I've seen some condos literally facing next unit or a WALL. Might as well stay in the dungeons like Ion basement. It's funny how Asians are anti-sunlight. Got view better than no view. What's the point of buying a house with no sun and no view right? Would you prefer to stay in basement? And people who stayed in landed usually face all directions - north south east west and yet they are ok.

Overall preference is still for East facing over West facing in tropical climate countries.
N'S facing is still the most ideal n will be much easier to sell yr unit with a better price barring all other factors.. :cheers5:

smellyfish
28-02-13, 11:15
west sun is hotter it makes the house like an oven. but you will have FS master telling certain people that west sun is good for them.

ahchee
28-02-13, 11:19
west sun is hotter it makes the house like an oven. but you will have FS master telling certain people that west sun is good for them.
Yes, heard about this. If buy for own use, must check FS especially for breadwinner of family - cannot satisfy every family member lah. If buy for renting/vesting, who cares? At most tenants got grilled like BBQ, haha! But when comes to selling, buyers will be picky.

TravieJackie
28-02-13, 11:37
Wah.. how many of you engaged a FSM before buying a place?

zzz1
28-02-13, 11:56
And of course it depends on your lifestyle which I can't advise. I know for sure some people like me is dead against east sun. And if you are renting, no difference. The ang mohs and tenants usually don't care much.

i had a unit facing west sun, and every 2 years change tenant, they had enough of the sun.

Non of them Ang mohs tho...

sunny88
28-02-13, 12:03
i had a unit facing west sun, and every 2 years change tenant, they had enough of the sun.

Non of them Ang mohs tho...

Agents tell me caucasians love west facing units cos they love the sun!

How true is that ??

Cupcakes
28-02-13, 12:05
How to use a compass? :D

buttercarp
28-02-13, 12:17
Gua number will determine if you are east or west person.

http://www.circle-of-light.com/fengshui/fs-kua.html

Must calculate using lunar calendar.

http://www.prokerala.com/general/calendar/chinese-age.php

TravieJackie
28-02-13, 12:42
S if east erson can have house facing north or south? What does it mean?

p3nboy
28-02-13, 12:46
Forbidden city is N-S facing. you say leh?:D

fiat500
28-02-13, 13:01

How true is that ??
Its true caucasians do luv the sun but not the humid climate we have here...
U must always give some discounts to what the agents tell u..
N there is also no guarantee yr next tenant will be ang mo.
Better to be safe to avoid west facing units if u hv a choice! :cheers5:

TravieJackie
28-02-13, 13:02
Don't know how to read le... I thought lucky and unlucky info on this link: http://www.circle-of-light.com/fengshui/fs-kua.html

buttercarp
28-02-13, 13:04

Summer palace face which direction?

Kelonguni
28-02-13, 13:10

Nope. $50 quick fix - thick curtains. Sleep until noon no problem. But confirm must turn on air con in the morning.

Kelonguni
28-02-13, 13:12

I think wall ok but not through the windows. Because the floor and furnishings will all be hot...

TravieJackie
28-02-13, 13:16
Haha.. the more I read about those Kua no. thingy and Feng Shui thingy, the more confused. Feels right then buy.

Guess I'm asking a tad too much questions now coz looking for first property to stay long in it.

I have a mix of excitement and apprehension.

ahchee
28-02-13, 13:18
I think wall ok but not through the windows. Because the floor and furnishings will all be hot...
Ya, maybe fabric furnishing will fade more easily. Wonder if that will affect wooden ones?
Just a wild thought - will wall be too hot and too much expansion that may cause cracks in wall in ssay, 10 years?

Miltonia
28-02-13, 13:29
East Sun or West Sun, it's just which do you prefer to be heated first.

East gets heated in the morning, west get heated in the afternoon.

All these don't really matter. What matters is your exposed walls, as they retain heat. Must look at the walls facing the west sun. If its your living room, it will be hot there, ceiling fan can do the trick. If it is in your bed room, you will end up using air con. If you on air con even if it is raining, what else matters? Just enjoy your home as it is. Work around it. Even tortoise needs the sun to make sure their shell is hard, they cannot stay forever in the waters. Other examples are snakes, crocodile and monitor lizards. All these are found near the waters.

DC33_2008
28-02-13, 13:33
Do you know that your inverter air-conditioning system is still consuming power as long as your on/off power switch next to your condensing unit is on although your indoor split unit is off? :o
Yes, correct. However, with the newer inverter aircons, the pain on the pocket is lesser as they consume a lot lesser power than the non-inverter ones.

buttercarp
28-02-13, 13:44
Do you know that your inverter air-conditioning system is still consuming power as long as your on/off power switch next to your condensing unit is on although your indoor split unit is off? :o

:eek:
Why does it have to consume power?

To keep the roaches out, like the piano?

p3nboy
28-02-13, 14:14
Summer palace face which direction?

SG is summer year round, no need summer palace.:D

Wild Falcon
28-02-13, 14:28
Also can dry clothes :) One of my rooms got west sun and sometimes I just shift some clothes there to dry :) At the end of the day, its up to you. Frankly, west sun over lousy view any time. The hottest is TOP FLOOR and of couse landed. As long as you're not on the top floor or landed (roof heat plus all direction sun), you should be fine. Singapore is hot all year round and very often rain/cloudy in the afternoon. So you won't get the west sun everyday. and if its not direct west, i.e. NW or SW, you only get the sun half a year.

cavaliver
28-02-13, 16:47
I prefer morning sun. Just get black out curtain if u want to sleep late.
Cannot tahan afternoon sun - it is no joke.

Nevertheless, I still prefer to have some sunlight.
Some units are so dark that they need to switch on lights even during daytime.

logic
28-02-13, 16:54

Fengshui is a load of crap....

Doesn't matter where the Forbidden City or Summer Palace faced.... China still got pillaged by the foreign invaders who didn't give a hoot about such things

DC33_2008
28-02-13, 17:00
It is just like you standby light of your TV but this is consuming more power.
:eek:
Why does it have to consume power?

To keep the roaches out, like the piano?

logic
28-02-13, 17:06

It is a proven fact that the afternoon sun is hotter.

The effect is called diurnal variation.

In addition the afternoon glare is also worse. You cannot watch TV if your living room is facing afternoon sun .... your aircon is at full blast but the walls retain the heat that continue to emit heat into the night into your home.

Even with solar films..... no use.... the heat is trapped at the window.... solar films deflect some of the glare but take in most of the heat... the result is a big heated glass, touch it and feel your fingers sizzle...

Please take it with a pinch of salt when people in the forum say afternoon sun is better... l believe it is self interest.... they are probably vested in a unit facing west and are trying to play diwn the ill effects

logic
28-02-13, 17:14
I prefer morning sun. Just get black out curtain if u want to sleep late.
Cannot tahan afternoon sun - it is no joke.

Nevertheless, I still prefer to have some sunlight.
Some units are so dark that they need to switch on lights even during daytime.

Ironically, afternoon sun units need to switch on lights in the afternoon.

Why? ?...the curtains/blinds have to be drawn in the afternoon leaving the rooms very dark and with no ventilation. The lights and aircon are forced to be switched on.

TravieJackie
28-02-13, 18:17
Fengshui is a load of crap....

Doesn't matter where the Forbidden City or Summer Palace faced.... China still got pillaged by the foreign invaders who didn't give a hoot about such things

hehe... :doh:

Jonathan0503
28-02-13, 19:51

And noise from the pool too if on low floors

logic
28-02-13, 20:07

How true is that ??

Sounds like bulls--t.

Agents will tell you anything to sell the house.

Angmos are not stupid, even colonial houses are built with the tropical climate in mind. The Istana was built facing East.

A person who loves the beach or sun tanning does not necessarily mean they love to stay in a west facing house.

This is the fallacy of Noel Coward's mad dogs and Englishmen.

fiat500
28-02-13, 21:51
Ironically, afternoon sun units need to switch on lights in the afternoon.

Why? ?...the curtains/blinds have to be drawn in the afternoon leaving the rooms very dark and with no ventilation. The lights and aircon are forced to be switched on.

Ha ha,true....well said! :cheers5:

Kanarazu
28-02-13, 21:52

In addition the afternoon glare is also worse. You cannot watch TV if your living room is facing afternoon sun .... your aircon is at full blast but the walls retain the heat that continue to emit heat into the night into your home.

Even with solar films..... no use.... the heat is trapped at the window.... solar films deflect some of the glare but take in most of the heat... the result is a big heated glass, touch it and feel your fingers sizzle...

Please take it with a pinch of salt when people in the forum say afternoon sun is better... l believe it is self interest.... they are probably vested in a unit facing west and are trying to play diwn the ill effects

I did an experiment before with solar film from 3M. Managed to get 3 degree Celsius improvement if I remember correctly for a west facing window. That's for closed windows.For a room with west facing windows it's better that room has other windows in other directions that can help ventilate the room.

I got free solar film samples from 3M dealer and bought thermometer gauges from dealextreme.com for $2.50 each. You can test it out yourself too.

mkl22
28-02-13, 23:14
It is just like you standby light of your TV but this is consuming more power.

Yup. Approx 50w per compressor. It's the heater circuit at the compressor is on. The purpose is to prevent the accumulation of compressor oil at the bottom of the compressor pump.

TKT
01-03-13, 09:26

Totally agree with you.

It is a big load of crap if anyone says that Afternoon West sun is better than morning sun.

Good luck to him or her!

:47:

ahchee
01-03-13, 09:37
Dun like to always use aircon. Firstly elect bills will be high and secondly mother-in-law says it's bad for rheumatism. Still prefer old-fashioned way of using fan coz cost much less for power bills.

Shanhz
01-03-13, 10:24
Wah.. how many of you engaged a FSM before buying a place?

ME!

but for east or west sun, see if you intend to stay for long, then buy what you like in terms of lifestyle.

if intend to sell earlier, then better to buy east sun. you can cater to a larger pool of potential buyers in future.

Shanhz
01-03-13, 10:26
Yup. Approx 50w per compressor. It's the heater circuit at the compressor is on. The purpose is to prevent the accumulation of compressor oil at the bottom of the compressor pump.

so should i switch off the main switch or not? will it spoil faster if i switch it off, thus not allowing the circulation of this compressor oil?

Kanarazu
01-03-13, 11:32
Totally agree with you.

It is a big load of crap if anyone says that Afternoon West sun is better than morning sun.

Good luck to him or her!

:47:

Check this out.
http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/singapore/singapore/historic
Actually by virtue of our timezone where sunrise/set is 7/7 instead of6/6 it's already hotter in the afternoon.

But then strictly speaking our mid sun is 1pm so east facing will still get some sun at 12 noon.

Shanhz
01-03-13, 11:59
Check this out.
Actually by virtue of our timezone where sunrise/set is 7/7 instead of6/6 it's already hotter in the afternoon.

But then strictly speaking our mid sun is 1pm so east facing will still get some sun at 12 noon.

those who kenah east facing at 12noon have 7 hours to cool down even b4 it hits night time.

those west facing from 7pm onwards have how many hours to cool down?

no matter how i look at it, west sun is definitely no-no. of coz if you have diff lifestyle, such as cheong until 4am, and sleep until midnight, of coz east sun better.

but you dun sell what you like - you sell what the mkt likes. come to selling time, east sun anytime better than west sun.

DC33_2008
01-03-13, 12:14
Another explanation: The solar radiation has to heat up the cooler air in the morning and therefore perceived it as less hot. However, the air temperature would have been rather high in the afternoon after the sun is up for almost 6-7hours.
those who kenah east facing at 12noon have 7 hours to cool down even b4 it hits night time.

no matter how i look at it, west sun is definitely no-no. of coz if you have diff lifestyle, such as cheong until 4am, and sleep until midnight, of coz east sun better.

but you dun sell what you like - you sell what the mkt likes. come to selling time, east sun anytime better than west sun.

ahchee
01-03-13, 12:53
Thank you all so much for all your sound advice. Now I understand why east units priced diff than west ones.

Wild Falcon
01-03-13, 13:12
What logic is this? Then I can say east sun is the WORST because early morning already heat up the entire house?

The reality is, heat dissipates very fast at night, while the heat that accumulates since morning will not dissipate by afternoon. So you spend more hours per day in the heat if you're facing east sun than west sun.

Anyway, it's an Chinese thing. I don't think in every condo west sun is priced lower. In my condo, the west sun has the most beautiful views and is the premium block. But for those condos with no views at all and every view is ugly anyway, then maybe got difference bah. And I think when it comes to RESALE, the difference is even not noticeable because at any point in time, only 1 or 2 units is selling and buyers can't really choose. Unless it's new launched and unless in your condo every Tom Dick and Harry is selling which gives a buyer choices of every direction possible. Then also jialat with so many people competing for buyers. Haha.

Wild Falcon
01-03-13, 13:21
Which condo are you looking at? New launched or resale? New launched with no views at all angles? i don't think there is a general rule that east sun priced at premium. Every condo is different and resale would have even less difference. If you're buying new launched, I actually think it's worth getting the west sun unit if it's at significant discount. Because when it comes to resale, the discount will narrow. And good view most important lah - whatever direction the last thing you want is face another person's house.

Thank you all so much for all your sound advice. Now I understand why east units priced diff than west ones.

ahchee
01-03-13, 13:27
Which condo are you looking at? New launched or resale? New launched with no views at all angles? i don't think there is a general rule that east sun priced at premium. Every condo is different and resale would have even less difference. If you're buying new launched, I actually think it's worth getting the west sun unit if it's at significant discount. Because when it comes to resale, the discount will narrow. And good view most important lah - whatever direction the last thing you want is face another person's house.
Ya, maybe also not right for me to generalise. Views, layouts and some other factors also matter. Must see overall right?

Cupcakes
01-03-13, 15:05
may i know how many metres away will consider facing another person house?
tks

mkl22
01-03-13, 15:49
so should i switch off the main switch or not? will it spoil faster if i switch it off, thus not allowing the circulation of this compressor oil?

the advice is to have the heater running 2-3hours before you run the compressor. its good to turn it off when you go for long trips overseas. you save 0.05x24= 1.2kwH a day, which is approx 35cts.

TravieJackie
01-03-13, 15:58
nowadays housing getting more cramp, sometimes no choice, the unit face a bit of ppl house especially for smaller developments.

will you guys purchase a place like that for own stay? If you like everything else?

Reisor
01-03-13, 18:43
What logic is this? Then I can say east sun is the WORST because early morning already heat up the entire house?

The reality is, heat dissipates very fast at night, while the heat that accumulates since morning will not dissipate by afternoon. So you spend more hours per day in the heat if you're facing east sun than west sun.....

If the room wall surfaces are exposed to direct west sun for all day, it will be extremely hot & heat will be there all night. Have stayed 10 years in a room where the walls are like that. The walls are warm when you touch them, very sauna like :scared-3: . Having west sun would be ideal for a bath room, which helps to dry up the area and" indirectly sterilize" the damp area. Some people like the morning sun to shine on their beds & mattresses for the same reason.
Have seen "clover by the park" having design like this.

babyt
01-03-13, 19:54
i brought a penthouse unit at geylang lorong 24.

it happens that geylang lor is either face East or West sun.

For my project, the east side will look down a narrow lane swimming pool facing paya lebar while the west side will face the lorong road and u can get city view. In the end, i go for west sun because it faces city side.

Wild Falcon
01-03-13, 20:00
Actually nowadays got view and sunlight is already a luxury. Some condos face any direction also no difference because the sun will be blocked by the next high rise block anyway :) I've seen some east or west sun facing units but in the end no sunlight comes in becos all blocked by other high rise buildings :) Try those pencil condos say at Novena when they are so close together. If you stay less than 15 floors, you probably won't get any sun coming into your unit, whatever facing it has. Haha.

i brought a penthouse unit at geylang lorong 24.

it happens that geylang lor is either face East or West sun.

For my project, the east side will look down a narrow lane swimming pool facing paya lebar while the west side will face the lorong road and u can get city view. In the end, i go for west sun because it faces city side.

heehee
01-03-13, 20:17
Please do not exaggerate. I very familiar Novena don't see what you say is true.
I ever lived in a place where Master bedroom 1 wall face west, super hot even until after 1 am also still so hot, touch wall still warm & heat still releasing from the wall. Ever after, no west sun, not even 1 wall!

Actually nowadays got view and sunlight is already a luxury. Some condos face any direction also no difference because the sun will be blocked by the next high rise block anyway :) I've seen some east or west sun facing units but in the end no sunlight comes in becos all blocked by other high rise buildings :) Try those pencil condos say at Novena when they are so close together. If you stay less than 15 floors, you probably won't get any sun coming into your unit, whatever facing it has. Haha.

Wild Falcon
01-03-13, 20:22
Depends on your unit lah. Some lower floor units just get shadows of other high rise building nearby because the place is so dense with pencil buildings everywhere. Next time view more units before commenting. And look at how close together those buildings are. It's obvious shadows are cast everywhere. And its not actually a bad thing. Look at the comments in this forum, peope don't like sunlight. So for these people its a good thing that other blocks are blocking your views and sunlight.

Please do not exaggerate. I very familiar Novena don't see what you say is true.

Wild Falcon
01-03-13, 20:23
You never live landed your whole life? Sometimes i find it amusing people say a bit of sun will die like that. Anyway to each his own.

1am still hot? Singapore is hot lah. You sure the room facing another direction much colder at 1am?

Looks like you will never in a bungalow. Because sure got one wall face the west. Its funny. I notice upgraders from HDB or apartments are more fuss with one wall face the west.

And i like to bring up landed examples. Because if other affluent people can live with one wall west sun, i don't see how people who live in HDB or apartments can't.

I ever lived in a place where Master bedroom 1 wall face west, super hot even until after 1 am also still so hot, touch wall still warm & heat still releasing from the wall. Ever after, no west sun, not even 1 wall!

Wild Falcon
01-03-13, 20:46
And all this obsession with not having one wall facing the sun has resulted in all these ugly "corridor" condos in recent years. If notice, all the new condos have windows only opening from one side, usually either north or south. Once you step into the apartment, you have to walk horizontally in one direction like a crab, from living room to dining room to bedroom 1 to bedroom 2 etc like a long house and corridor. That is no depth to the unit - completely FLAT OUT. It's like the desire to avoid any sun has taken precedence of having a nice cozy squarish house with some sunlight with both depth and breath. And older condos are not built this way. Its either a squarish "point block" type of layout which means every unit will get 2 facing at least with one facing east or west. Or more luxurious condos has only one unit loading per floor which means you face all directions 360 degrees. Why would one wants to only see one direction along a corridor just to avoid some sun?

heehee
01-03-13, 20:51
No never live in landed.
Ok with East but West big No!

You never live landed your whole life? Sometimes i find it amusing people say a bit of sun will die like that. Anyway to each his own.

1am still hot? Singapore is hot lah. You sure the room facing another direction much colder at 1am?

Looks like you will never in a bungalow. Because sure got one wall face the west. Its funny. I notice upgraders from HDB or apartments are more fuss with one wall face the west.

And i like to bring up landed examples. Because if other affluent people can live with one wall west sun, i don't see how people who live in HDB or apartments can't.

logic
01-03-13, 21:02
Check this out.

This chart shows the effect of diurnal variation of temperature. This chart is typical of the temperature patterns all around the world.

With this chart, you have proven that the afternoon is very much warmer than in the morning.

Btw, it doesn't matter whether Singapore mid-sun is at 1pm, 12pm or even 2pm. The important point is the period of daylight. The division between morning and afternoon is at high noon, it is therefore immaterial what time is the midsun.

logic
01-03-13, 21:07
I did an experiment before with solar film from 3M. Managed to get 3 degree Celsius improvement if I remember correctly for a west facing window. That's for closed windows.For a room with west facing windows it's better that room has other windows in other directions that can help ventilate the room.

I got free solar film samples from 3M dealer and bought thermometer gauges from dealextreme.com for $2.50 each. You can test it out yourself too.

I have to say I find a 3deg drop hard to believe.

teddybear
01-03-13, 21:17
To be exact, you also need to measure the intensity of the heat.
I bet the intensity of West sun is several times that in morning. That is why, walk in the sun at 10am is not so hot but not at 4pm! :banghead:

This chart shows the effect of diurnal variation of temperature. This chart is typical of the temperature patterns all around the world.

With this chart, you have proven that the afternoon is very much warmer than in the morning.

Btw, it doesn't matter whether Singapore mid-sun is at 1pm, 12pm or even 2pm. The important point is the period of daylight. The division between morning and afternoon is at high noon, it is therefore immaterial what time is the midsun.

logic
01-03-13, 21:26
What you are saying is factually untrue.

The earth and hence our atmosphere is heated from ground up. This is why it is colder at elevation despite the fact that higher altitudes are closer to the sun.

The heat that is absorbed in the morning intensifies and radiates out more in the afternoon. The peak intensity is at 3pm (give or take depending on its time zone), this effect is universal throughout the world.

And no... it does not dissipate quickly at night. In fact mid-morning temperatures can be as cool as temperatures at midnite. The chart by Kanarazu also shows that.

The reality is, heat dissipates very fast at night, while the heat that accumulates since morning will not dissipate by afternoon. So you spend more hours per day in the heat if you're facing east sun than west sun.

Anyway, it's an Chinese thing. I don't think in every condo west sun is priced lower. In my condo, the west sun has the most beautiful views and is the premium block. But for those condos with no views at all and every view is ugly anyway, then maybe got difference bah. And I think when it comes to RESALE, the difference is even not noticeable because at any point in time, only 1 or 2 units is selling and buyers can't really choose. Unless it's new launched and unless in your condo every Tom Dick and Harry is selling which gives a buyer choices of every direction possible. Then also jialat with so many people competing for buyers. Haha.

Kanarazu
01-03-13, 21:28
I have to say I find a 3deg drop hard to believe.

I found my earlier post, the exact difference was 2.5 degree Celsius. 3M claimed up to 5 degree though.

Wild Falcon
01-03-13, 21:33
10am to 2pm is very hot leh, esp 11am+. Evening time 5-6pm I actually find ok. Of course evening sun is more beautiful. One cannot compare midday and early afternoon becos the sun is above you and not at an angle. West sun you are worried is when the sun is angled in, which means late evening.

But anything is better than a corridor house with windows only opening from one side. Just imagine the good old times when people live in large villas or even attap house when they get both east and west sun and are still ok. I just think overall, this obsession with having no wall facing the sun is too much. And its not true people who live in landed or single load condos turn on air con all the time. They just learn to appreciate their house that face all directions that give different perspective.

logic
01-03-13, 21:37
To be exact, you also need to measure the intensity of the heat.
I bet the intensity of West sun is several times that in morning. That is why, walk in the sun at 10am is not so hot but not at 4pm! :banghead:

Yes... that is correct.

The maximum intensity is at midday.

This is bcoz the rays of the sun are directly pointing at the position on Earth with no slant, the solar radiation is concentrated at that point.

In the morning as the sun rises, the sun rays hit the Earth at an inclined angle. The rays are diffused and spread out. The effect of solar radiation is minimal. This intensifies as the sun rises further to midday. However, the cumulative effect is only felt beyond the midday sun as the Earth heats up. The high intensity solar radiation at midday will begin to emit heat increasingly throughout the afternoon its maximum effect hours later.

Wild Falcon
01-03-13, 21:44
How can radiate out in the afternoon when it is hot? Afternoon is hot and therefore the heat remains trapped and therefore afternoon still remains hot. Afternoon will always be hot in all directions - 30 degrees celcius everywhere unless you turn on air con. This is Singapore! It only cools down at night, whichever direction you are facing.

Anyway, I'm just trying to offer an alternative view from the rest of the SAME SAME about oh must buy a house that face certain directions or else very hot and unlivable. Obviously there are people who don't find it a big deal, people who buy landed esp bungalows, who buy condos with single load or condos with point block structure with only max 4 units per floor. But I can tell the latest trend and demand is corridor condos. The potential buyer ask because he or she has never lived in a house which has a wall facing the sun and my personal opinion is, it is ok. if you love a house and the view and the only drawback is one wall face the sun, go for it. Or else you will limit yourself to a corridor condo. What for? And as for east and west sun, it depends on your lifestyle. Are you more at home in the morning or in the evening? And at night, the temperature will fall. Ask those people staying in landed who face both east and west. Don't just use "logic", ask around people who has lived in houses that face both directions.

What you are saying is factually untrue.

The earth and hence our atmosphere is heated from ground up. This is why it is colder at elevation despite the fact that higher altitudes are closer to the sun.

The heat that is absorbed in the morning intensifies and radiates out more in the afternoon. The peak intensity is at 3pm (give or take depending on its time zone), this effect is universal throughout the world.

And no... it does not dissipate quickly at night. In fact mid-morning temperatures can be as cool as temperatures at midnite. The chart by Kanarazu also shows that.

logic
01-03-13, 21:51
Landed properties (even old ones) have mitigating factors like awnings and bamboo chicks.

In fact the solution to sun facing apartments are awnings and external slats. These are sun blocking features that are outside the room itself. The heat of the sun's rays are absorbed externally unlike say curtains.

Solar films do stop the heat from entering the room but they are retained by the films itself causing the glass panel to heat up

logic
01-03-13, 21:54
Why do you assume only you stay in landed?

What makes you think I am not staying landed too? Why must I ask other people... can't I ask myself?

How can radiate out in the afternoon when it is hot? Afternoon is hot and therefore the heat remains trapped and therefore afternoon still remains hot. Afternoon will always be hot in all directions - 30 degrees celcius everywhere unless you turn on air con. This is Singapore! It only cools down at night, whichever direction you are facing.

Anyway, I'm just trying to offer an alternative view from the rest of the SAME SAME about oh must buy a house that face certain directions or else very hot and unlivable. Obviously there are people who don't find it a big deal, people who buy landed esp bungalows, who buy condos with single load or condos with point block structure with only max 4 units per floor. But I can tell the latest trend and demand is corridor condos. The potential buyer ask because he or she has never lived in a house which has a wall facing the sun and my personal opinion is, it is ok. if you love a house and the view and the only drawback is one wall face the sun, go for it. Or else you will limit yourself to a corridor condo. What for? And as for east and west sun, it depends on your lifestyle. Are you more at home in the morning or in the evening? And at night, the temperature will fall. Ask those people staying in landed who face both east and west. Don't just use "logic", ask around people who has lived in houses that face both directions.

logic
01-03-13, 22:01
Anyway.... you are bringing too many variables into the equation... that is confusing the issue.

Let's make things simple... for apartments...all things being equal which is the more favourable unit.... One that has all the bedroom and living room windows facing the West or one that is facing the East ?

For a bungalow, which is the more favourable unit... One with the front facing East or West?... (may I remind you that the Istana faces the East)

babyt
01-03-13, 22:02
i went to my fren hdb flat at bedok res view.

i tell u...the 4 room layout is damm shitty. the rooms and toilets facing inward practically has no sunlight for 24hrs...always dark!!

Wild Falcon
01-03-13, 22:19
You know what is a bungalow? Front door face east means somewhere will face west. Front door face north means some walls will face both east and west and south. You just talking about fengshui or what? We are talking about one WALL face west which is his concern - he did not even specify whether it is front door or bedroom wall or living room wall.

You keep talking about how horrible it is living with a wall facing west. I just tell you from experience growing a a place with walls facing all directions, including west. It is not that hot. Theoretically, my situation is the WORST because I have walls facing both east and west right? So if people can live with walls facing both east and west, why would someone not be able to live with a wall facing west ONLY?

Frankly, when it comes to WALLS, I don't really care. Unless your wall is made of very thin substance, I don't see how it can heat up so much. Which condo is that and how thin is the wall? What I am concerned with is WINDOWS. And from my lifestyle, I prefer west WINDOWS to east because I am not around in the afternoon. The house is empty. And in the morning, I don't like the sun coming in when I am having my breakfast and when I want to look outside or when I'm sleeping. And it cools down at night everywhere in Singapore - trying facing your face in all directions, esp those near nature reserves. Of course those concrete jungle area will be warmer. And frankly, east or west, just draw the curtains and problem solved. And wall? No issue. Houses will always have walls facing all directions.

Anyway, I think I'm done with this "wall must face certain direction" discussion. No wonder nowadays the condo all built in the corridor structure and people like those "inter" units cramped within 2 units only one wall face outside. I hate inter-terrace, let alone corridor condos.

Anyway.... you are bringing too many variables into the equation... that is confusing the issue.

Let's make things simple... for apartments...all things being equal which is the more favourable unit.... One that has all the bedroom and living room windows facing the West or one that is facing the East ?

For a bungalow, which is the more favourable unit... One with the front facing East or West?... (may I remind you that the Istana faces the East)

Kanarazu
01-03-13, 22:19
I think it's pretty clear afternoon temperature is higher than morning. Besides building orientation there are also other factors to consider when determining how hot is hot for any room especially those with west facing facade. Such as material, angle, tint, and thickness of the facade. You may want to read about ETTV formula related to indoor solar heat gain. http://www.bca.gov.sg/PerformanceBased/others/RETV.pdf.

Besides the solar heat gain we should also consider the factors affecting rate of heat dissipation as hot rooms are usually a combination of solar heat gained and poor heat dissipation. Eg ventilation with another window that is not facing the west, size of room, ceiling height etc

Wild Falcon
01-03-13, 22:23
Logic, you talking about fengshui issit? And front door face east has better fengshui? I'm not into fengshui but I have a feeling those condos with windows facing west is likely to have front door facing east. We are talking about houses with walls facing every direction and yet people living in it are ok and not just front door facing.

logic
01-03-13, 22:28
Logic, you talking about fengshui issit? And front door face east has better fengshui? I'm not into fengshui but I have a feeling those condos with windows facing west is likely to have front door facing east. We are talking about houses with walls facing every direction and yet people living in it are ok and not just front door facing.

No... I am not talking about Fengshui... as I have said earlier it is a load of bull... all that Fengshui that went into building the Forbidden City and Summer Palace did not help at all.

China was one of the weakest country in the world at that time, bullied by every nation... this speaks volumes about Fengshui.

logic
01-03-13, 22:43
Front door facing especially in a tropical climate has a very practical consideration. Our colonial masters were not stupid or superstitious.

The front lawn can be used to host evening parties. It is considerably cooler as it uses the shade of the house against the afternoon sun.

The morning sun due to diurnal variation, will only begin to heat up the house uncomfortably around 11am, by noon the sun would shift over to the top of the house and the East facing side would begin cooling.That means the unncomfortable heated period is relatively short.

Beyond noon, the sun starts to heat the Western part of the house at its max intensity. By the time ambient temperatures reach a peak at 3pm, the sun would have shifted squarely blasting the Western part of the house. This exposure is unrelenting till the sun sets.

The rear of the house facing the west is considered an inferior orientation. it is where the servants' quarters are and where laundry is hung, where food is prepared.

logic
01-03-13, 22:50

I can only say that landed can mitigate a West facing better than an apartment. It is still not favourable.

If you have a terrace... best facing is South then North followed by East then West.

If you have a sem-di/corner terrace, South North with open side facing East

If you have a bungalow, East followed by South then North ..... hopefully not West.

Leo.Cheng
02-03-13, 04:51
If is better for a room to have the morning Sun. This will remove harmful bacteria in the room to a certain extent and prevent the growth of unseen moss.

Afternoon sun however, although having the same function, could have its effect extended due to the absorption of heat into the walls throughout the evening.

roly8
02-03-13, 08:04
China was one of the weakest country in the world at that time, bullied by every nation... this speaks volumes about Fengshui.
china got bully due to lag in technology & science development back then . if china got the same technological weapon, then it is a different story. Just like what china is now.. :o

cannot depend on fengshui for warfare..
should be more of strategy, terrain and weapons during war..:o speaking of this, make me think of sun tzu strategy..really powerful :ashamed1:

logic
02-03-13, 12:36
china got bully due to lag in technology & science development back then . if china got the same technological weapon, then it is a different story. Just like what china is now.. :o

cannot depend on fengshui for warfare..
should be more of strategy, terrain and weapons during war..:o speaking of this, make me think of sun tzu strategy..really powerful :ashamed1:

Yes this is true... this reinforces the point that Fengshui is a big con job.

Not only can you not depend on Fengshui for warfare.... you can't depend on it for well being or prosperity or anything at all.. China was trampled over and pillaged, the Chinese were weak and sickly...

The royal Ching family prescribed to the highest Fengshui principles. Not only were buildings contructed with Fengshui in mind, coronations, appointments to office, celebrations.....etc were decided based on the Fengshui almanac.

Now.... being the royal family, one can safely assume they had the best Fengshui masters in the land... look what it has done for them and the country?

Cupcakes
02-03-13, 13:10
一命二运三风水四积德五读书

Shanhz
04-03-13, 08:02

aiya, no need to argue lah. different pple different strokes. and all things equal, most of us are out of the house during the day. it is 6-7pm onwards that matter, when we are at home. so of course west sun will affect this period.

dun worry, i not trying to talk down your ppty. :D

there is value in the east sun, which ends up commanding higher ppty value, apple for apple comparison. i think that is good enuff proof.

of course, for a significant diff in ppty price, one may choose to get a cheaper unit facing the west sun. nothing wrong with that.

Rosy
04-03-13, 09:32
It is just like numbering.

In western countries, very often 13th floor is skipped. Whereas the chinese avoid 4, 14.

In cold climate countries, west facing homes are very sellable.

I would say in Singapore, i would avoid west facing sun for scientific reasons and not due to fengshui.