PDA

View Full Version : Buying property in Geylang area

acidic.straw
04-03-13, 12:55
No offence to those staying in Geylang.

Rightly or wrongly, you cannot deny that the name "Geylang" invokes less than desirable connotations. People freely associate the place with vice and sleaze and unless you know the in's and out's of the area well, you won't be able to tell if the area is "clean" or not.

If you have heard and seen videos and pictures of the saga of Adam Goi whose neighbouring units turn into brothels and turned his life upside down, you'd appreciate the enormity of the problem you faced if you make a misstep and bought into an area of vice or potential vice.

So any good tips on what to look out for if you to invest in properties in this area? Some things I can think of is to make repeat visits to the area on various days and at different times especially at night. Look out for other signs like the presence of certain "famous" hotels nearby. A place may start "clean" but over time, vice activities may creep over and before you know, overtaken your entire neighbourhood. And even the police can't help you.

babyt
04-03-13, 13:00
u have an agenda to tell ppl to stay off Geylang? :confused: thats very nice of u.

leesg123
04-03-13, 13:23
u have an agenda to tell ppl to stay off Geylang? :confused: thats very nice of u.chill, red light or not, just look at the chart: :cheers4:
http://oi47.tinypic.com/nyfhqv.jpg

acidic.straw
04-03-13, 13:32
u have an agenda to tell ppl to stay off Geylang? :confused: thats very nice of u.

Aiyoh, I have no agenda la :doh: And not all areas in Geylang are "red". I just want to know how to assess the area and sieve out the gold from the mould.

babyt
04-03-13, 14:27
i have to admit i brought a loft unit at #1 loft at lorong 24.:D

but along lorong 24, other than #1 Loft, u have Edenz Loft and Octet. Another one, Residences One has yet to be launched. 4 new development occupying entire lorong 24....what do u think?

mcmlxxvi
04-03-13, 15:35
Avoid the following:

Wing Fong mansions/in fact wing fong anything

Westerhout Rd

Jln Suka

Jln Molek

and you should be quite safe.

To be really safe, avoid Lor 6 to 22 altogether.

eng81157
04-03-13, 15:43
i have 2 younglings, and i will never touch geylang properties with a 10-mile pole

Kelonguni
04-03-13, 17:38
i have 2 younglings, and i will never touch geylang properties with a 10-mile pole

I won't too, but to be fair, it might be good value for short term stay (single or couples before having children) or for rental yield.

mantrix
04-03-13, 17:53
I've got a MM at Smart Suites...reason being proximity to MRT (200m) and the Sims Ave address :cheers2:

Arcachon
04-03-13, 18:26
My Friend brought a 2 Bedroom at Geylang in 2006 and I got a wake up call from him.

He brought it for SGD 420,000, it have a small swimming pool.

acidic.straw
04-03-13, 19:31

but along lorong 24, other than #1 Loft, u have Edenz Loft and Octet. Another one, Residences One has yet to be launched. 4 new development occupying entire lorong 24....what do u think?

power bro...isn't that where jalan suka is? did you check around the area at night before you buy? just want to learn la...no agenda hor:p

bullman
04-03-13, 19:46
Bought an IT much earlier and just got enbloc. Developer play there is strong, given the plot ratio and height limitation.

irisng
04-03-13, 19:52

Two weeks ago, went down to Geylang to have a look at some of the Lorongs project development including Lorong 24 but can't see any sign of tearing down of any building yet in this Lorong, am wondering which units will be enbloc?

babyt
04-03-13, 22:09
all the terrace houses will be tear down. if u notice, some of the houses have "SOLD" notice on it.

yes i notice jln suka but doesnt matter...who knows thing may change after 4 residential projects TOP. :D like i said, i brought to stay and im single man.

babyt
04-03-13, 22:16
duplicated

ahchee
05-03-13, 09:31
I happened to visit my cousin who is staying in one of the HDB blocks in Cassia Crescent one Saturday afternoon. Could see across L24 from the high floor. Saw like a lot of happenings in that street leh.

Tek888
05-03-13, 11:24
Last year, I was considering to purchase a unit at Geylang. When doing my due diligence, I chanced upon this website which I feel is quite informative for buyers considering GL for the first time. Hope this helps.

http://investingeylang.com/2011/04/25/investing-in-geylang-what-to-look-out-for/

Ringo33
05-03-13, 11:34
Last year, I was considering to purchase a unit at Geylang. When doing my due diligence, I chanced upon this website which I feel is quite informative for buyers considering GL for the first time. Hope this helps.

http://investingeylang.com/2011/04/25/investing-in-geylang-what-to-look-out-for/

I was hoping for some sammyboy type of information. so disappointed.

acidic.straw
05-03-13, 18:21
I happened to visit my cousin who is staying in one of the HDB blocks in Cassia Crescent one Saturday afternoon. Could see across L24 from the high floor. Saw like a lot of happenings in that street leh.

Check this out for a closer look at the happenings :D
https://www.facebook.com/SaveJalanSuka?fref=ts

mcmlxxvi
06-03-13, 11:17
Omg it's really shocking!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRJzlmBDeVE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In one of the night videos I even see barber right across the st. Lol

mcmlxxvi
06-03-13, 11:29
It's really really bad. Even in broad daylight!

acidic.straw
06-03-13, 12:34
I pity this poor guy Adam Goi guy. He said it's even worse during weekends and public holidays where it's a whole day and night event.

So if you intend to buy a place in these areas, you need to recce the place both day and night over a few days. And to be safe, better cover a wide circle from your POI (place of interest)- say 1-2 km radius to be doubly kiasi/kiasu in case the contagion spreads :D

eng81157
06-03-13, 12:35
sheesh the sleaze......this is why i will never touch geylang with a 10mile pole.

rontan_83
11-02-14, 21:04
all the terrace houses will be tear down. if u notice, some of the houses have "SOLD" notice on it.

yes i notice jln suka but doesnt matter...who knows thing may change after 4 residential projects TOP. :D like i said, i brought to stay and im single man.

Babyt..u dont mislead other ppl la..since when that all the houses along lorong 24 will be tore down?

Mu
11-02-14, 21:54
For rental yield I think ok lah....Now days single working professional don't mind renting there.... Close to city with cheap rent, where to get? I also don't mind:D
But for own stay with family, think twice lei....
If you decide to buy, make sure it is a fantastic offer to offset all the negativity of the place...Plus be prepared to borrow from finance companies rather than banks (higher interest). Also, can negotiate with the agent. developer (most are very very desperate to sell a unit as quickly as possible)
Also watch out for fly by night developers, make sure they are financially sound.....Typically less than famous developers market that area (I cld be wrong, but it seems the case to me)
But if for some reason gahmen decide to clean up the place, you will huat huat huat big time:cheers1:

peterng8
11-02-14, 22:57
chill, red light or not, just look at the chart: :cheers4:
http://oi47.tinypic.com/nyfhqv.jpg

which area in Sg does not have this line chart shooting up?:D

peterng8
11-02-14, 23:00
It's really really bad. Even in broad daylight!

Imagine if u hv property there...will u feel good going there and be mistaken by friends inadvertently that u are there for other ' business' ? :D sibeh jilat

peterng8
11-02-14, 23:02
For rental yield I think ok lah....Now days single working professional don't mind renting there.... Close to city with cheap rent, where to get? I also don't mind:D
But for own stay with family, think twice lei....
If you decide to buy, make sure it is a fantastic offer to offset all the negativity of the place...Plus be prepared to borrow from finance companies rather than banks (higher interest). Also, can negotiate with the agent. developer (most are very very desperate to sell a unit as quickly as possible)
Also watch out for fly by night developers, make sure they are financially sound.....Typically less than famous developers market that area (I cld be wrong, but it seems the case to me)
But if for some reason gahmen decide to clean up the place, you will huat huat huat big time:cheers1:

agent la... or people with interests there and want the area to be huat like jurong....:D

leesg123
11-02-14, 23:13
Imagine if u hv property there...will u feel good going there and be mistaken by friends inadvertently that u are there for other ' business' ? :D sibeh jilat

An investor will never say no to money.

peterng8
12-02-14, 20:55
An investor will never say no to money.

than what are u waiting for? jump in and buy before it is snapped up by others.....:D

rontan_83
17-02-14, 05:31

What other ppl think ...is so important meh? Are they giving u money for meal?

leesg123
17-02-14, 07:45
than what are u waiting for? jump in and buy before it is snapped up by others.....:D
I want, but thanks to TDSR and ABSD.

irisng
18-02-14, 07:43

I, more or less agree but not that I'm afraid to be mistaken by friends but was afraid that the men will harass me.:D

When I first bought the ppty and went there very often to look at the progress, initially I do feel a bit uneasy but as times go on, I don't have this feeling anymore. It is just like a normal location with lots of many people around there. If you feel uneasy, try to avoid "those lanes". Anyway most of the activities happen in the night, so if you are staying there, by the time you will be at home watching TV liao, unless you are curious lor.:D