PDA

View Full Version : Pasir Panjang relaxed with minimal crowds

reporter2
16-09-13, 17:27
http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/saturday/premium/money/story/pasir-panjang-relaxed-minimal-crowds-20130914

HOT SPOT

Pasir Panjang relaxed with minimal crowds

Published on Sep 14, 2013

By Rachel Scully

PASIR Panjang has long been a tranquil, relatively uncrowded corner of Singapore. But new projects and better transport links have resulted in more interest in the area.

Commuters can use the Circle Line stations of Haw Par Villa and Pasir Panjang to get around, or take a bus to the central business district (CBD) or National University of Singapore (NUS).

R'ST Research director Ong Kah Seng said: "Population density is considerably lower in the area, but the merit of it is the more relaxed feel residents get, as the district hardly ever faces issues of overcrowding during the weekends."

While there is no major shopping centre, VivoCity and HarbourFront Centre are not far away down West Coast Highway, which runs through Pasir Panjang.

Based on the number of listings on portal STProperty last month, the 120-unit Whitehaven clinched top spot as the most advertised project by agents (see table).

The project was launched in the second quarter of the year, and the average transacted price for units sold in August was $1,590 psf, based on calculations from STProperty's trend and analysis tool.

It is one of eight residential properties launched in the last two years, said Knight Frank research head Alice Tan.

Among the eight properties, freehold Village @ Pasir Panjang was the biggest, with 148 units.

Ms Tan said: "Private home prices in Pasir Panjang have been trending upwards over the past year, with subsale non-landed properties recording the highest price increase of 21 per cent.

"Resale non-landed property prices moved up 8.6 per cent in the same period, followed by new sales of non-landed homes which increased by 2.9 per cent."

Prices for landed properties for both new and resale transactions in Pasir Panjang rose by 2.7 to 2.8 per cent, she added.

OrangeTee research head Christine Li said: "There is good support for the rental market in Pasir Panjang due to its close proximity to existing and future commercial and education hubs such as NUS, Singapore Science Park, one-north and Mapletree Business City."

Ms Li said rental yields stood at about 4.4 per cent for units at Parc Imperial, the most recent condominium, which received its temporary occupation permit in 2010.

Mr Ong expects the long-term prospects for residential property in the area to remain positive.

"Following the implementation of the total debt servicing ratio, the overall property market sentiments might cool more definitely than in the past," he said.

"But leasing demand for homes in Pasir Panjang will be continually supported by the foreign professionals working in vicinity, especially from the university, science parks, HarbourFront-Alexandra business district, and the CBD, if rents are offered at realistic levels."

[email protected]

xebay11
17-09-13, 07:25
Highly highly polluted, I was doing an installation project there in the west coast hill overnight, you could see a layer of soot on the table there in the morning.

clemdale24
17-09-13, 08:08
Highly highly polluted, I was doing an installation project there in the west coast hill overnight, you could see a layer of soot on the table there in the morning.

I have always lived on the east coast, and rarely go to the west coast if at all. is it really that bad?

kane
17-09-13, 08:32
they still have people talking about an area when they are trying to cool the property market?

xebay11
17-09-13, 09:05
I have always lived on the east coast, and rarely go to the west coast if at all. is it really that bad?

It faces all the petrochemical and chemical islands and you can see constant flaring at night, what do you think?

DC33_2008
17-09-13, 09:39
You can try talking to the people staying at the NUS staff accommodation. They do get soot at the balcony. :(
It faces all the petrochemical and chemical islands and you can see constant flaring at night, what do you think?

gn108
17-09-13, 09:45
Its bad enough.
I hope developers don't build/over-build in PP.
Besides who wants to buy in PP with the pollution problem.

Astronotus oscellatus
17-09-13, 14:27
Single lane traffic between Clementi and South Buona Vista Rd is a problem during morning and evening peak hours. But road widening is coming, to two lanes either way.

Lack of amenities is another. You either head east towards Vivo, or West towards West Coast and Clementi, with little else in between.

Pollution...I think nothing beats Jurong.

But the bus services serving Pasir Panjang brings you to many corners of Singapore, and of course, if you live and work near MRT, that is a great place to be.

Overall...easier to live here if you have a car, unless you want to head to Science Park from the west in the morning. Long queues of cars stuck behind buses at bus stops with no bus bays.

clemdale24
17-09-13, 17:16
People say the west coast is far behind the east coast in terms of development. There is a drastic discrepancy in one's status/class btw these 2 coastlines. true? sounds true from the looks of it...

proud owner
18-09-13, 00:14

where is west coast hill ?

Ringo33
18-09-13, 00:22
Ever since SPH launch their ST property, they have been actively blowing hot air from district to district through their papers.

Just read it with a pinch of salt.

Biggest problem for PP area is the lack of school and the heavy vehicle and noise coming in and out of the PSA terminal.

But once these all move to Tuas, the entire place will be transform for a sleepy town into a major growth area. 2020 is the target I think.

newbie11
18-09-13, 03:05
and Feng Shui on Period 9 (2024 Onwards) Belongs To South

chestnut
18-09-13, 05:47
Ever since SPH launch their ST property, they have been actively blowing hot air from district to district through their papers.

Just read it with a pinch of salt.

Biggest problem for PP area is the lack of school and the heavy vehicle and noise coming in and out of the PSA terminal.

But once these all move to Tuas, the entire place will be transform for a sleepy town into a major growth area. 2020 is the target I think.

I have been staying in pp for 15 years.... HAHAHAHAHAHA

I once considered east coast but the thought of flowing with the traffic scares me.... My friend takes more than 30 mins to travel to Alexandra....:doh: some more pay ERP?....

I am still wondering about the traffic u all keep mentioning leh?????

My place is super quiet... When they announced 4 lanes, I was abit disappointed as it means they have something planned ...:doh::doh: and it will lose its quaint feeling... But not to worry, I will shift out if it gets noisy.... HAHAHAHAHAHA....

I was abit disappointed and yet 'happy'... Bloody contradicting... Disappointed as above... Happy because I have 3 big units in pp... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

xebay11
18-09-13, 07:11
where is west coast hill ?

I don't remember the name, just the one with the armoured tank and historical bronze plaque marking the world war 2 site, the bronze plaque was cast and installed by my company.

proud owner
18-09-13, 14:46
I don't remember the name, just the one with the armoured tank and historical bronze plaque marking the world war 2 site, the bronze plaque was cast and installed by my company.

kent Ridge Park ....vigilante road

Ringo33
18-09-13, 14:59
I have been staying in pp for 15 years.... HAHAHAHAHAHA

I once considered east coast but the thought of flowing with the traffic scares me.... My friend takes more than 30 mins to travel to Alexandra....:doh: some more pay ERP?....

My place is super quiet... When they announced 4 lanes, I was abit disappointed as it means they have something planned ...:doh::doh: and it will lose its quaint feeling... But not to worry, I will shift out if it gets noisy.... HAHAHAHAHAHA....

I was abit disappointed and yet 'happy'... Bloody contradicting... Disappointed as above... Happy because I have 3 big units in pp... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You are right, east coast has to too many housing by lack of jobs, hence thats they many people have to travel toward west and north. The traffic I am talking about are those container trailers, and trucks that move between PSA Keppel and Pasir Panjang PSA terminal and PP wholesale center.
Usually they will use the viaduct of West coast highway. But still, its noisy.

PP will eventually become a major growth area once PSA move out to Tuas. But I doubt this generation will get to benefit much from it.

xebay11
19-09-13, 08:55
kent Ridge Park ....vigilante road

Yes that too :)

wirehtc
19-09-13, 09:29
You are right, east coast has to too many housing by lack of jobs, hence thats they many people have to travel toward west and north. The traffic I am talking about are those container trailers, and trucks that move between PSA Keppel and Pasir Panjang PSA terminal and PP wholesale center.
Usually they will use the viaduct of West coast highway. But still, its noisy.

PP will eventually become a major growth area once PSA move out to Tuas. But I doubt this generation will get to benefit much from it.

The Arctic sea ice is opening up. Probably in the next 30-40 years they will become very viable. Singapore as a transshipment hub could be threatened.

http://100yearspanamacanal.com/index.php/sources/documentaries/88-artic-sea-ice-opneing-up-for-new-maritime-transportation-routes

http://en.rian.ru/business/20121017/176696586.html

Astronotus oscellatus
19-09-13, 10:53

... Happy because I have 3 big units in pp... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If I own three big units, I also will be as happy as you!

The traffic is very heavy heading towards Science Park from Clementi Road in the morning, and many drivers ignore the yellow boxes, sitting happily on it, ang mohs do it, tai tais do it, Bangla in lorries do it...tailback from Science Park can reach Clementi Rd on bad days.

Container trucks are quite fast and furious along West Coast Highway, Clementi Road.

Anyway, the traffic will be history in time to come, road widening coming, port moving...in time for next generation to enjoy.

Astronotus oscellatus
19-09-13, 10:55
People say the west coast is far behind the east coast in terms of development. There is a drastic discrepancy in one's status/class btw these 2 coastlines. true? sounds true from the looks of it...

West Coast Park you can see, hear and smell industry.

chestnut
19-09-13, 12:29

The traffic is very heavy heading towards Science Park from Clementi Road in the morning, and many drivers ignore the yellow boxes, sitting happily on it, ang mohs do it, tai tais do it, Bangla in lorries do it...tailback from Science Park can reach Clementi Rd on bad days.

Container trucks are quite fast and furious along West Coast Highway, Clementi Road.

Anyway, the traffic will be history in time to come, road widening coming, port moving...in time for next generation to enjoy.

Bro, if you stay there, you will know how to move lar.... Like when i go katong, everywhere jam in the evening.... But I believe all those who stay in Katong know all the small "hidden" roads....

If you know how to move in heng mui keng terrace, you can wiggle your way out.... Hahahahaha

http://www.streetdirectory.com/sg/heng-mui-keng-terrace/18592_1.html

chestnut
19-09-13, 12:33
Yes that too :)

Bro, only tank in PP is vigilante road.... I think proud owner was referring to that as your reference point....;)

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/32785129

Ringo33
19-09-13, 17:31
Has anyone been to the peak @ pepsy?

proud owner
19-09-13, 18:09

I like PP area....

the traffic condition worsen over the years as more and more condos sprang up along PP road...

the good news of course is that road will be widened..

in the morning peak hours....Dunearn road left lane also jam all the way ... even bus lane is taken up yet traffic police close both eyes ...

east coast road also jam during peak hours ... yet I don't think they can ever widen that road ...

so all in all ,,,, PP will still be better now and in the future

proud owner
19-09-13, 18:11
Has anyone been to the peak @ pepsy?

yes why ?

built by 20 graduates 20 yrs ago ...

each got a unit and 5 sold to public ...

Ringo33
19-09-13, 18:33
yes why ?

built by 20 graduates 20 yrs ago ...

each got a unit and 5 sold to public ...

very interesting. how the hell they managed to find a plot of land right up there?

proud owner
19-09-13, 18:44
very interesting. how the hell they managed to find a plot of land right up there?

I dunno man

some of the nicest condos are found along PP ...in terms of design, space, tranquility ...

eg :
The Peak @ Pepys Hill
Pepys Hill Condo ( pent house)
Palisades

electron
19-09-13, 19:17
I dunno man

some of the nicest condos are found along PP ...in terms of design, space, tranquility ...

eg :
The Peak @ Pepys Hill
Pepys Hill Condo ( pent house)
Palisades

Palisades is truly beautiful. Was once looking to buy, then found out the maintenance is $900/month :scared-4:

Astronotus oscellatus
19-09-13, 21:00
Bro, if you stay there, you will know how to move lar.... Like when i go katong, everywhere jam in the evening.... But I believe all those who stay in Katong know all the small "hidden" roads....

If you know how to move in heng mui keng terrace, you can wiggle your way out.... Hahahahaha

http://www.streetdirectory.com/sg/heng-mui-keng-terrace/18592_1.html

Yeah...Heng Mui Keng Terrace is good, except on weekends, when relatives visit and people park on both sides of the road...but of course, weekends no working crowd from Science Park, so, no need to do a hook.

Ringo33
20-09-13, 17:07
I think our urban planner has got big plans for the southern city.
watch from 20.00m to 25.00m

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/tv/tvshows/documentaries/imagine-singapore-2030/622212.html

proud owner
20-09-13, 17:17
Palisades is truly beautiful. Was once looking to buy, then found out the maintenance is $900/month :scared-4:

I almost bought a designer unit there 2900 sqft in 2006...