PDA

View Full Version : How do you furnish rental apartments?

auroraborealis
03-10-13, 16:12
Evolving from buying new furniture to buying gumtree 2nd furniture to renting furniture... Not sure if that's the standard phase a landlord goes through

zzz1
03-10-13, 17:58
Evolving from buying new furniture to buying gumtree 2nd furniture to renting furniture... Not sure if that's the standard phase a landlord goes through

as long as not committed as new furniture, it is ok..

But....if you want to retain your tenant .. provide it with reasonable quality.
I had seem landlord put up the curtain but only manage to cover 3/4 of the window and look like an 3/4 pant. look real cheapo

the Owner properly just upgraded from HDB(lower ceiling height) and use the old curtain and put up the new premises.

august
03-10-13, 18:41
Do renovation, buy new fittings and furniture, and move in for 3 months. Then rent out. That was last time, now too lazy to bother, ha ha.

DKSG
03-10-13, 18:51
If the owner of the property cannot respect his own property, how can they expect the tenant to respect it ?

If you buy cheapo furniture, tenant will deem it their right to "wear & tear" it excessively.

For me, I furnish it based on the property itself. If it is an OCR property, just get moderately good stuff, decent curtains, decent lights.

If CCR, then get better quality ones.

DKSG

DC33_2008
03-10-13, 20:24
Tenants in CCR and even city fringe prefers partial furnish. Less headache with furniture.
If the owner of the property cannot respect his own property, how can they expect the tenant to respect it ?

If you buy cheapo furniture, tenant will deem it their right to "wear & tear" it excessively.

For me, I furnish it based on the property itself. If it is an OCR property, just get moderately good stuff, decent curtains, decent lights.

DKSG

azeoprop
03-10-13, 20:38
Yah best rent out empty and the tenants rent/buy their own furniture. Less things less disputes less headaches. :D

leesg123
03-10-13, 21:33
For mm, better fully furnished as the tenants are usually singles or couple and they dont move around carrying their furniture. For bigger units that cater to tenant with family then that is a different story.

august
03-10-13, 21:40

DKSG

Yes, furnish according to the perceived status of the condo and desired tenant demographic.

zzz1
03-10-13, 22:13
Yah best rent out empty and the tenants rent/buy their own furniture. Less things less disputes less headaches. :D

True. .. also over some period of time and after few tenants, will end up with excessive furniture and will face storage problems if provide fully furnished.

Some tenants preferred their own bed and you will end up storing you own.

auroraborealis
03-10-13, 22:55
duplicate post

True. .. also over some period of time and after few tenants, will end up with excessive furniture and will face storage problems if provide fully furnished.

auroraborealis
03-10-13, 22:56
yah, there's no one best solution

when our unit just TOP bot new furniture but after wear & tear need to change after 2yrs. of cos try to buy non-cheapo looking pieces like pvc leather sofa at least (but these don't last... )

halfway wifey saw gumtree ad for half leather sofa... so got 1 just 1yr set at bargain, but it's all about timing

we add up the costs, actually all methods cost about same (just whether you own them or not). these days tenants keep wanting different furniture, mayb rental is not a bad idea (will go these rental showrooms to take a look since better than going showflats these days... )

zzz1
04-10-13, 08:00
yah, there's no one best solution

when our unit just TOP bot new furniture but after wear & tear need to change after 2yrs. of cos try to buy non-cheapo looking pieces like pvc leather sofa at least (but these don't last... )

halfway wifey saw gumtree ad for half leather sofa... so got 1 just 1yr set at bargain, but it's all about timing

we add up the costs, actually all methods cost about same (just whether you own them or not). these days tenants keep wanting different furniture, mayb rental is not a bad idea (will go these rental showrooms to take a look since better than going showflats these days... )

The issue on rental is that they will charge you on wear and tear..but u will have "new" set Very often...

irisng
24-11-13, 07:37
How you consider as partial furnish vs fully furnish?

In order to save space, is it ok to buy from Ikea the flip-up and down table (mount to the wall) to serve as a dining table and flip-up and down chairs, does it look cheap?

DC33_2008
24-11-13, 07:49
It really depends on your location and prospective tenants. Go for partial furnish, ie just provde white goods first.

In order to save space, is it ok to buy from Ikea the flip-up and down table (mount to the wall) to serve as a dining table and flip-up and down chairs, does it look cheap?

zeamybro
24-11-13, 08:08

Sorry sis but it does look cheap to me.

Most people will just buy white goods first (fridge + washer + dryer) and add on only after negotiating with tenant and confirms what other items he or she wants.

On the other hand, the pros of having your house fully furnished is that it makes your house more "complete and ready". Comparing with a competitor unit which is empty, it may appeal more to potential tenants as they are able to visualise better, provided they r looking for FF and u hv chosen nice and decent furniture.

Recently I just rented out a unit FF. In the end, the tenant asked me to remove my sofa set, coffee table, side table, table lamps etc. He even asked if he could replace my brand new chandelier with a ceiling fan. I am puzzled.. If u don't like my stuffs, why did u choose my unit then? But anyway he is willing to pay good rentals .. so I removed for him.

irisng
24-11-13, 09:19
Sorry sis but it does look cheap to me.

Most people will just buy white goods first (fridge + washer + dryer) and add on only after negotiating with tenant and confirms what other items he or she wants.

Thank you so much, I have been waiting for the answer as I thought of getting the flip-up flip-down table later on. It looks practical as it saves space but it might look cheap. If I put a solid table near the open-concept kitchen, it will narrow the passageway.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1467224_190864137771944_1576247776_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1456694_190864097771948_1996005408_n.jpg

On the other hand, the pros of having your house fully furnished is that it makes your house more "complete and ready". Comparing with a competitor unit which is empty, it may appeal more to potential tenants as they are able to visualise better, provided they r looking for FF and u hv chosen nice and decent furniture.

Recently I just rented out a unit FF. In the end, the tenant asked me to remove my sofa set, coffee table, side table, table lamps etc. He even asked if he could replace my brand new chandelier with a ceiling fan. I am puzzled.. If u don't like my stuffs, why did u choose my unit then? But anyway he is willing to pay good rentals .. so I removed for him.

That's what I think, with all the furnishing ready, the tenant can have a clearer picture. But on the other hand, it might have a risk for the potential tenant to ask me to remove my furnitures, by then, I will have problem to store them away. I had bought almost everything except the bed for my 2nd bedroom. Currently, I put a big study table there but if the tenant wants a bed, I can always replace it.

Normally, how many agents do you all engage to market your rental unit?

zeamybro
24-11-13, 09:37
Thank you so much, I have been waiting for the answer as I thought of getting the flip-up flip-down table later on. It looks practical as it saves space but it might look cheap. If I put a solid table near the open-concept kitchen, it will narrow the passageway.

That's what I think, with all the furnishing ready, the tenant can have a clearer picture. But on the other hand, it might have a risk for the potential tenant to ask me to remove my furnitures, by then, I will have problem to store them away. I had bought almost everything except the bed for my 2nd bedroom. Currently, I put a big study table there but if the tenant wants a bed, I can always replace it.

Normally, how many agents do you all engage to market your rental unit?

Hi sis, don't need to buy the dining table first. If tenants want then u go buy. If it's narrow, then it's their business already since that is what they have wanted and u r not staying there anyway, lol. Places like FrancFranc and Mondi have nice small dining sets.

Some bros here prefer to deal with exclusive agents because they don't wish to spend too much of their own time on rentals. But I am not a big player like them and could afford the time. So I don't limit the number of agents marketing my unit. I welcome all and I made it clear to them it's non exclusive. Whoever can give me the best deal in the shortest possible time will win the deal.

But I must be prep to answer many ohone calls and open up the door myself for viewers ... I do enjoy the process though lol...

irisng
24-11-13, 11:04
Hi sis, don't need to buy the dining table first. If tenants want then u go buy. If it's narrow, then it's their business already since that is what they have wanted and u r not staying there anyway, lol. Places like FrancFranc and Mondi have nice small dining sets.

Some bros here prefer to deal with exclusive agents because they don't wish to spend too much of their own time on rentals. But I am not a big player like them and could afford the time. So I don't limit the number of agents marketing my unit. I welcome all and I made it clear to them it's non exclusive. Whoever can give me the best deal in the shortest possible time will win the deal.

But I must be prep to answer many ohone calls and open up the door myself for viewers ... I do enjoy the process though lol...

Thank you so much, so I will leave the dinning table out first. Do you heard of M.O.R.E. Property company?

auroraborealis
24-11-13, 17:19
Actually we try not to buy anything 1st if it's brand new apartment... Only lights n curtain or blinds

Some tenants have their own mattress becos they believe landlords only provide cheapskate ones... Some prefer bar top compared to table top etc etc

That ikea fold down table don't have good support... They have one solid wood one (which don't look as good) but much better support; we have one in our yard-kitchen for festive usage when heavy cooking requires a lot more utensils

Thank you so much, so I will leave the dinning table out first. Do you heard of M.O.R.E. Property company?

irisng
24-11-13, 19:36
Actually we try not to buy anything 1st if it's brand new apartment... Only lights n curtain or blinds

Some tenants have their own mattress becos they believe landlords only provide cheapskate ones... Some prefer bar top compared to table top etc etc

That ikea fold down table don't have good support... They have one solid wood one (which don't look as good) but much better support; we have one in our yard-kitchen for festive usage when heavy cooking requires a lot more utensils

Thank you for your info.

zeamybro
24-11-13, 20:48

Sis.. Sorry I have not heard of MORE...

If you are looking for higher quality flipping / folding tables, you can consider this shop at Park Mall basement.... Imported from Italy .. Of cos the price is not cheap but may be good for longer term investment. I almost wanted it but the leadtime was too long... 4mths

http://www.flippingtable.com

irisng
25-11-13, 07:37
Sis.. Sorry I have not heard of MORE...

If you are looking for higher quality flipping / folding tables, you can consider this shop at Park Mall basement.... Imported from Italy .. Of cos the price is not cheap but may be good for longer term investment. I almost wanted it but the leadtime was too long... 4mths

http://www.flippingtable.com

Thanks so much. It looks so elegant. I like it but 4 months is too long for me too. They don't have ready stock?

zeamybro
25-11-13, 19:08
Thanks so much. It looks so elegant. I like it but 4 months is too long for me too. They don't have ready stock?

They may have some standard sizes or colors ... Not sure though... But if u intend to customize ie. choosing your own colors and dimension, then have to indent and wait for the shipment from Italy. Most Italian imported funiture require a leadtime of around 4mths.

If u want ready stock furniture, can try TaylorB. They have a wide and nice range of funiture that appeals to angmohs... My tenants love them very much.

Patrickstar
25-11-13, 19:36
Second hand furnishing can be in very good condition. No point buying new when it will be second hand the minute it goes out of the warehouse.

irisng
27-11-13, 18:47
Second hand furnishing can be in very good condition. No point buying new when it will be second hand the minute it goes out of the warehouse.

Where to get second hand furnishing? If get from Gumtree, can see the condition or not?