PDA

View Full Version : Is paying CNY Ang Pow to service providers allowed under the MCST Act?

Fisherman
29-01-16, 20:08
Not sure whether paying of CNY Ang Pow to service providers eg Cleaners, security guards, landscape workers, etc is against the MCST Act as the purpose of the common fund is for the repair and maintenance of the estate and not for other purposes. Can someone please advise? Also is paying of such CNY Ang Pow by the MCST a common practice among condos in Singapore? The payment of CNY Ang Pow and the amount to be paid is proposed by the Managing Agent in this case. Advice very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Arcachon
29-01-16, 20:44
Got to look at my AGM minutes. So far have not heard of.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/917833728302212/

richwang
30-01-16, 19:37
Not generally practiced.
By the way, many of the service providers are non-chinese.
The staff turn over is super-high: easily less than 1 year.
So it is not easy to justify.

teddybear
30-01-16, 20:24
MCST Act does not specifically touch on this. As far as I know, it is not common to do so.

You can argue for CNY Ang Pow (because it is workers' pay in terms of incentives/bonus) or argue against because these workers are NOT your workers. The MCST already paid the contract for their service and it is these workers' direct employers who should pay (if they want to).

Also, You have to consider whether it is beneficial to do so. MCST pay or don't pay, any different? Does it mean they can any how do their work if MCST don't pay? If they any how do, either your contracted vendor replace them or your sack the vendor right? (Contract is renewal every year).

And MCST will face questions from owners if they pay CNY Ang Pow (because it is not really necessary to do).

Not sure whether paying of CNY Ang Pow to service providers eg Cleaners, security guards, landscape workers, etc is against the MCST Act as the purpose of the common fund is for the repair and maintenance of the estate and not for other purposes. Can someone please advise? Also is paying of such CNY Ang Pow by the MCST a common practice among condos in Singapore? The payment of CNY Ang Pow and the amount to be paid is proposed by the Managing Agent in this case. Advice very much appreciated. Many thanks.

august
30-01-16, 20:46
Imo such spendings, which is out of ordinary, should be first raised to all Sub Proprietors to solicit views and opinions.

Hence a better practice is to send out a general notice to all residents for voluntary donations. This is being practiced in my condo.

proud owner
01-02-16, 18:17
i suggest you write to your Council chairman and question the rational behind this.

I know when i was in USA, during Thanksgiving, we do donate to a common pool, to be split among all the condo staffs.. note we were Encouraged to donate, not mandatory.

The way i read your posting is that the MCST has made it mandatory.

If i were you, i wont.