PDA

View Full Version : Maids can't use Condo Pool and other Facilities

anythingwhatever
04-07-17, 23:31
Stumbled upon this old news:

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/property-management-news/2016/9/135269/maids-still-cant-use-the-pools-other-condo-facilities

Anyone know of any other condos that impose such rules?

Arcachon
05-07-17, 00:40

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/property-management-news/2016/9/135269/maids-still-cant-use-the-pools-other-condo-facilities

If the Maid sleep with the Master should not be a problem otherwise worker are not allowed.

proud owner
05-07-17, 01:07

The condo where i live, No porblem

we even had one owner who engaged a swimming instructor to coach the maid...

tonymontana
05-07-17, 01:49
Which condo is that

tonymontana
05-07-17, 01:53
If the Maid sleep with the Master should not be a problem otherwise worker are not allowed.

Only If the maid is from Cuba then I am OK. !

Arcachon
05-07-17, 02:02
Only If the maid is from Cuba then I am OK. !

Some Maid looks better than the Master-Wife.

anythingwhatever
05-07-17, 13:24
The condo where i live, No porblem

we even had one owner who engaged a swimming instructor to coach the maid...

Which condo?

In my humble opinion, as long as the duties (housework, childcare, etc) are not neglected, using of facilities should be fine.

frumnat
05-07-17, 13:53
A maid brought two boys to swim presumably at the employer’s behest. She was also enjoying the swim. I am absolutely fine. Would you accept it?

anythingwhatever
05-07-17, 16:26
A maid brought two boys to swim presumably at the employer’s behest. She was also enjoying the swim. I am absolutely fine. Would you accept it?

I would be fine too if the boys' safety are taken care of at all times.

tonymontana
05-07-17, 18:28

No I wouldn't.
Because suddenly all the other maids will join her swimming.
Pool is for residents and their visitors only, not for the hired help.
If rules are relaxed, what's to stop the security guards from taking a dip after duty? Or the landscape people? Or the pool cleaner?

peppertail
05-07-17, 21:21
What a poor argument. Maids are residents. Contractors and condo staff are not. Just another example how modern day slavery is still very much alive here.

No I wouldn't.
Because suddenly all the other maids will join her swimming.
Pool is for residents and their visitors only, not for the hired help.
If rules are relaxed, what's to stop the security guards from taking a dip after duty? Or the landscape people? Or the pool cleaner?

anythingwhatever
05-07-17, 21:57
What a poor argument. Maids are residents. Contractors and condo staff are not. Just another example how modern day slavery is still very much alive here.

Indeed, URA ruling clearly states that Domestic Helpers are counted as Residents of respective units. :)

Kelonguni
05-07-17, 22:27
Everything is relative. If one or two at one time, nobody minds. But if helpers have a huge BBQ party at poolside and number more than kids, let's see if people mind.

Arcachon
05-07-17, 22:28
Indeed, URA ruling clearly states that Domestic Helpers are counted as Residents of respective units. :)

I think URA did not mean what you have said.

2. Who does URA consider as unrelated persons?
Any persons who are not part of the same family unit are considered as unrelated. However, domestic workers and caregivers hired by a family will be treated as part of the same family unit.

https://www.ura.gov.sg/uol/buy-property/about/leasing/residential.aspx

Arcachon
05-07-17, 22:41
When reading the Bible, don't just read one sentence and quotes it as what the God says.

tonymontana
05-07-17, 22:48

Well, I can also argue that if you're so concerned about ending "modern day slavery" please don't hire a maid.
Anyway, chill la. Just because I don't agree to maids using the condo pool doesn't mean I think they should be mistreated s.

frumnat
06-07-17, 09:06
Well, I can also argue that if you're so concerned about ending "modern day slavery" please don't hire a maid.
Anyway, chill la. Just because I don't agree to maids using the condo pool doesn't mean I think they should be mistreated s.

Peace ah… But I think you overlooked the very important keyword – behest. Your rationale on security guards, landscaper and pool cleaner are quite weak leh. Firstly, they are not resident (maid is arguably resident and I think they are). Secondly, they are workers for the condo compound (maid is not worker for the condo compound; only for individual employer).

My point is the maid was still working by following the instructions of the employer. She enjoyed the swim but her eyes were still glued to the boys. I didn’t furnish the granular details but I thought it’s quite common sense. The pool is usually not empty (in my case).

If the maid were to swim alone or even bring along friends, then it's obviously no-no. How to check? You ascertain and inform the security lor.

anythingwhatever
06-07-17, 10:13
I think URA did not mean what you have said.

2. Who does URA consider as unrelated persons?
Any persons who are not part of the same family unit are considered as unrelated. However, domestic workers and caregivers hired by a family will be treated as part of the same family unit.

https://www.ura.gov.sg/uol/buy-property/about/leasing/residential.aspx

https://www.ura.gov.sg/uol/-/media/User%20Defined/URA%20Online/buying-properties/faq3.PNG?la=en

tonymontana
06-07-17, 19:48
Peace ah… But I think you overlooked the very important keyword – behest. Your rationale on security guards, landscaper and pool cleaner are quite weak leh. Firstly, they are not resident (maid is arguably resident and I think they are). Secondly, they are workers for the condo compound (maid is not worker for the condo compound; only for individual employer).

My point is the maid was still working by following the instructions of the employer. She enjoyed the swim but her eyes were still glued to the boys. I didn’t furnish the granular details but I thought it’s quite common sense. The pool is usually not empty (in my case).

If the maid were to swim alone or even bring along friends, then it's obviously no-no. How to check? You ascertain and inform the security lor.

OK, whatever. the maids don't do it in my condo anyway. i think it's a good rule to stick to.

teddybear
06-07-17, 20:00
Your logic is flawed IMHO..........

1. If the maid is swimming and enjoy swimming too much, how could her eyes be glued to the boys?

2. Maid while termed resident, is still a worker for individual owners of the units hence could not expected to enjoy same benefits as family members of owners.

3. If maids can use condo facilities, people can also argue that security guards should be allowed too because they are also "residents" (reside over-night to guard the estate)! Security guards, cleaners, landscapers etc are also official workers of the estate and hence workers of owners of units in the estate!

anythingwhatever
06-07-17, 20:15

1. If the maid is swimming and enjoy swimming too much, how could her eyes be glued to the boys?

2. Maid while termed resident, is still a worker for individual owners of the units hence could not expected to enjoy same benefits as family members of owners.

3. If maids can use condo facilities, people can also argue that security guards should be allowed too because they are also "residents" (reside over-night to guard the estate)! Security guards, cleaners, landscapers etc are also official workers of the estate and hence workers of owners of units in the estate!

Well, I think it should be the employers' call, rather than condo mgmt call, if the maids are allowed to use the facilities.

Take hotel as analogy, when employers bring whole family including maid for holiday trip, check in to hotel. Hotel staff will treat all of them as Guests isn't it? What right do Hotel Staff have to stop the maid using facilities as a guest? Only the employer can do that.

On the other hand, the hotel/condo security guards, cleaners, kitchen staff, workers are different story, they are bounded by respective Employment Contracts not to enjoy the facilities while on the job duty. Hence shouldn't be in the same breath as the maids, whose contracts are with the employer, not with the hotel nor condo.

tonymontana
06-07-17, 21:21
Well, I think it should be the employers' call, rather than condo mgmt call, if the maids are allowed to use the facilities.

Take hotel as analogy, when employers bring whole family including maid for holiday trip, check in to hotel. Hotel staff will treat all of them as Guests isn't it? What right do Hotel Staff have to stop the maid using facilities as a guest? Only the employer can do that.

On the other hand, the hotel/condo security guards, cleaners, kitchen staff, workers are different story, they are bounded by respective Employment Contracts not to enjoy the facilities while on the job duty. Hence shouldn't be in the same breath as the maids, whose contracts are with the employer, not with the hotel nor condo.

Your Condo is not a hotel. There is a place and rule for everything. Btw, not sure whether you are sure of the term 'condo management', are you refering to M.A or MCST? Anyway, likely it is the owners' call. The rule is there because the owners support it. The MCST is comprised of all the owners, who may in an AGM, approve additional by laws, such as "no maids rule".

proud owner
06-07-17, 23:05
Which condo is that

wow you like that ask i scared to tell leh

can only disclose ...

D10
FH
near Botanic gardens

frumnat
07-07-17, 10:31

Goodness gracious, you old fart. You made me almost spill my coffee while burst out laughing. Good thing I am in my room but my secretary still gave me a wry look. Closing my door now.

TravieJackie
16-07-17, 20:36
I also won't like it. If to look after the child or help the employer to look after the child when the kid is playing in the pool, then it's ok. Otherwise no. This is not about equal rights or treating them inhumanely, even a boss at work has more privileges than the staff usually.

Residents have a choice to decide coz it's their homes.

Laguna
16-07-17, 21:30
Helpers are allowed into the pools in my condo provided :
1.is to take care of young children or seniors where assistance is needed
2. in appropriate dress code....

I still remember, before these rules were formed, there was a group of helpers....brought in their friends and a few of them working in this condo, having funs in the pool, really become uncontrollable

proud owner
16-07-17, 23:36

I still remember, before these rules were formed, there was a group of helpers....brought in their friends and a few of them working in this condo, having funs in the pool, really become uncontrollable

In my condo, although we do not state that Maids are not allowed to use the facilities, so far none has done so.

In fact, we had a lady resident who wrote to the MCST to seek approval for her maid to take swimming lessons in the condo pool. (at non peak hrs)

She felt that for the maid to accompany her son to the pool, the maid needs to know how to swim.

The council approved without hesitation

proud owner
16-07-17, 23:38

we dont have this problem (touch wood )yet.

But we do have maids that wear HOT PANTS, DYED HAIR, PAINTED NAILS...

they even have time to go jogging at Botanic Gardens....somemore in proper Sports wears ....

hahah