PDA

View Full Version : For a fast deal, cheque is king

Amber Woods
10-09-17, 09:21
A cheque, not cash, is king if you want the best property deal, says entrepreneur Eric Chiew.

He says: "When it comes to negotiating the price, I always issue cheques. People tend to verbally negotiate the price, either through text or on the phone, but I find there is no point in that.

"A cheque shows I am sincere, and if I were to sell a property, I would want a sincere gesture as well. For resale properties, you can issue 1 per cent of the purchase price."

Mr Chiew, 33, runs Credit Savvy, which offers education programmes that teach people about the various tools of investing in property, their risks and benefits, as well as mortgage work.

If the price on the cheque does not work, he simply issues another, and it usually takes two to three tries before he seals the deal.

Mr Chiew, who is married with no children, stresses: "Good properties do not wait for you. These are properties where sellers are asking for a good price - they could be below market value. So in order to be fast, you need to take action by issuing a cheque."

He prepares for such moments in advance, such as making sure that his finances are in order.

"People tend to go into a deal overwhelmed as they have yet to prepare their loan approvals, Central Provident Fund matters and the down payment. You have to be ready any time for a good deal and undervalued property."

Q DESCRIBE YOUR RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY.

A I bought a three-bedder, 99-year leasehold penthouse in the Bartley area for $1.8 million in 2013.

It has been tenanted - since it obtained its temporary occupation permit last year - by a lovely couple from London. It was rented out within two months.

I liked that it was near my in-laws' place and next to the Bidadari estate, which will develop under the Government's masterplan, and next to Maris Stella High School, which is a good school. It is also a short walk to Bartley MRT station.

Q TELL US ABOUT YOUR PROPERTY PORTFOLIO.

A I have my 99-year leasehold, 1,260 sq ft office in Tanjong Pagar, which I bought for $2.3 million in 2015.

I specially renovated it so that it has two soundproof seminar rooms. I sourced for an industrial-grade soundproof movable wall. The two rooms can be converted into a larger seminar room when needed. Such flexibility allows for good rental options and more choices for me as well as companies that rent the rooms to use.

I previously rented offices at International Plaza for a few years.

I like (the present office's) sea view, and it has an auspicious unit number on a high floor. It has lift lobby frontage that makes it visible and accessible. This combination of factors is rare, especially as it is in the heart of the Central Business District (CBD). My office is also next to Tanjong Pagar MRT, and there is another upcoming MRT station nearby called Prince Edward.

Most importantly, as Credit Savvy provides property investment education and seminars, being in a centralised location makes it suitable for my business.

I would say it is my best property investment as it saves me from paying high rental and I bought it at a good price.

I also have a 1,184 sq ft freehold office at City Hall that I bought in 2014 for $2.25 million. It is rented out to a mid-sized law firm.

It is rare to have freehold offices in the CBD so I decided to buy it, and it comes with a view of Marina Bay Sands. I bought at a undervalued price, at about $1,900 per sq ft (psf). In comparison, a newer 99-year leasehold office in the central area sells at about $3,200 psf to $3,500 psf. My mortgage loans are covered by rent.

Q DESCRIBE YOUR PROPERTY INVESTING STRATEGY AND MARKET VIEW.

A I look at the price by psf and purchase price, and study several factors. For instance, when it comes to location, I prefer somewhere central.

I also look at the Government's masterplan for future development, and that helps me identify growth areas. I do prefer shophouses in the CBD as there is limited supply and high demand for those.

No one can predict the market conditions exactly, but people should note several things.

First is the easing of cooling measures for the first time in seven years in March this year, where the seller's stamp duty was reduced from a four- to three-year holding period. This easing shows that the market was slowing in the first quarter and needed sustainable growth. It has turned into stronger property sales in the second and third quarter of this year.

Second, land parcels are being transacted at record highs, such as the $1 billion bid for a Stirling Road site, which came with a break-even price of about $1,550 psf and an estimated selling price of $1,750 psf to $1,950 psf. Or, take the $1.132 billion for land at Bidadari, with a break-even price of about $1,700 psf and an estimated selling price of $1,950 psf to $2,100 psf... and so on.

These numbers translate to a 20 per cent to 50 per cent increase of land cost psf per plot ratio.

A 900 sq ft brand new condominium in these same areas costs around $1.25 million to $1.35 million now. I believe, based on the increased land prices, a condominium of the same size in those areas will cost $1.55 million to $1.7 million.

This means that home buyers will need to pay $250,000 to $350,000 more for a suburban 900 sq ft condo unit. Since prices may rise owing to these reasons, if you want to buy a property in those areas, it is better to start now. It is good to know what is happening in the market.

Also, strong collective sales show positive sentiment among property developers. For example, the sale of Tampines Court is the biggest collective sale since 2007 at $970 million - proof of healthy growth in property demand in Singapore.

Q WHAT IS YOUR OVERALL INVESTING STRATEGY?

A I have about 20 per cent in fixed deposits, 10 per cent in insurance, 20 per cent in business and the rest in property. I channel profits from my business to property. Having such assets that are being paid down by tenants gives me forced savings in a way, and I am making my savings work harder for me.

I have also learnt over the years that business and investments are "twin engines" in generating different sources of income. Business cycles and investment cycles may differ but complement each other in the long run.

Q MY DREAM HOME IS...

A One that has enough room for about six people, which includes my in-laws, preferably a landed property in a quiet, central area in Singapore.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Sunday Times on September 10, 2017, with the headline 'For a fast deal, cheque is king'. Print Edition | Subscribe

Amber Woods
10-09-17, 09:32
This Eric Chew must be very active in this Forum. I have been hearing the same views in this forum via different usernames.

Kelonguni
10-09-17, 11:03
These thoughts are neither original nor rare.

They are amongst the most tried and tested paths to financial independence in modern cities, and many variations exist depending on one's situation in life.

Amber Woods
10-09-17, 11:23
Read many businessmen selling their GCB when business turns bad and suffer losses on their sale of their GCB too because business cycle and property cycle are co-related.

This guy has two 99 yr LH residential and one FH commercial property all bought during the peak. Good luck to him.

Laguna
10-09-17, 12:02
All these so called property guru, selling training courses, all examples (may not even true cases) were done at perfect timing.
I attended his talk before.... lolx.

Amber Woods
10-09-17, 13:05
All these so called property guru, selling training courses, all examples (may not even true cases) were done at perfect timing.
I attended his talk before.... lolx.

I did not realised that he was only 33 years of age until when I read about his three property purchased in 2013, 2014 and 2015. My guess was for someone to buy all his properties during the peak must be someone of younger age and lack the experience. Then I read the top of the article again and confirmed his age which I was not amazed. Unless luck is with him, he will be in trouble because he is highly geared with inflated assets.

Kelonguni
10-09-17, 13:35
Probably has struck TOTO to even put down the downpayment plus sufficiently high income to leverage for three properties.

Most of us need to worry for ourselves and not for these young people.

tonymontana
10-09-17, 19:17
I did not realised that he was only 33 years of age until when I read about his three property purchased in 2013, 2014 and 2015. My guess was for someone to buy all his properties during the peak must be someone of younger age and lack the experience. Then I read the top of the article again and confirmed his age which I was not amazed. Unless luck is with him, he will be in trouble because he is highly geared with inflated assets.

maybe his income is 40k per month, and he inherited a couple of millions, who knows.

Amber Woods
10-09-17, 19:54
maybe his income is 40k per month, and he inherited a couple of millions, who knows.

The point is he is in the property business. That just shows how inexperience he was and public should not pay to listen to him.

Kelonguni
10-09-17, 20:09
If one has straight cash and CPF of over 1 mil, maybe even 2 mil, at 33 years old and wish to go into property, should he plonk all into one? Is that safer?

tonymontana
10-09-17, 22:52
The point is he is in the property business. That just shows how inexperience he was and public should not pay to listen to him.

in a way i agree, i seldom listen to all the self proclaimed "property gurus" around.

10-09-17, 23:06
Noticed he did not say where his current residence is and what car he drive, common questions for those featured in this weekly article. :confused-new:

Laguna
11-09-17, 10:02
For many trainers in the market, they form pools to buy properties

Amber Woods
11-09-17, 10:41
For many trainers in the market, they form pools to buy properties

You are right.

Many trainers are trying to 'cloud funding' by asking their participants to pool together to buy so called 'under-valued' assets. One of my friend participated with a PhD Trainer and his group is hoping to make money through their group purchases.

DMCK
11-09-17, 10:47

This is so called marketing! Maybe he is a good speaker..why so many people still believe in the church guy!

Kelonguni
11-09-17, 12:48
Crowd Funding you mean?

That gentleman is unlikely amongst our regular posters here. Here, we only advocate owning under oneself or with very trusted ones. By you, for you, and in your own names.

Any other forms, please be extra cautious. Money will be made but it might not end up yours!

You are right.

Many trainers are trying to 'cloud funding' by asking their participants to pool together to buy so called 'under-valued' assets. One of my friend participated with a PhD Trainer and his group is hoping to make money through their group purchases.

frumnat
11-09-17, 15:22
Noticed he did not say where his current residence is and what car he drive, common questions for those featured in this weekly article. :confused-new:

The last I heard he was driving a BMW and was in the process of buying a large FH condo walking distance from Somerset MRT. This was about a year back.

11-09-17, 15:51
The last I heard he was driving a BMW and was in the process of buying a large FH condo walking distance from Somerset MRT. This was about a year back.

Just find it strange that a "property guru" would pass a chance to talk about his residence ( current or past ones) surely those would be the one that lead many along this path

frumnat
11-09-17, 17:10
Just find it strange that a "property guru" would pass a chance to talk about his residence ( current or past ones) surely those would be the one that lead many along this path

Privacy factor I believe.

tonymontana
12-09-17, 10:04
You are right.

Ask them to look for Adeline Leong Lai Yee, the most famous one.

tonymontana
12-09-17, 10:07
Crowd Funding you mean?

That gentleman is unlikely amongst our regular posters here. Here, we only advocate owning under oneself or with very trusted ones. By you, for you, and in your own names.

Any other forms, please be extra cautious. Money will be made but it might not end up yours!

At first I thought it was a pun ("cloud" funding). anyway just received a mailer, a group of crowdfunders are looking for suckers to buy into bukit timah hotels. needless to say, keep a wide berth.

Kelonguni
12-09-17, 10:53
Ask them to look for Adeline Leong Lai Yee, the most famous one.

But people will never learn. Either short term memory or new people join the working force.

We advocate a straight and direct ownership when financially ready. Time the market a little if you wish but never over-time it.